Darwinists rejoice: Missing link found

posted at 12:52 pm on May 19, 2009 by Allahpundit

Well, a missing link, not necessarily the missing link, although insofar as it seems to confirm Darwin’s speculation about transitional species, it’s a huge coup for fans of Uncle Charlie. I love the smell of fossilized monkeys in the morning. Smells like … victory. If anyone needs me, I’ll be at the bar drinking champagne with Charles Johnson.

Dude, what if Richard Dawkins planted it?

Based on previously limited fossil evidence, one big debate had been whether the tarsidae or adapidae group gave rise to monkeys, apes and humans. The latest discovery bolsters the less common position that our ancient ape-like ancestor was an adapid, the believed precursor of lemurs…

The discovery has little bearing on a separate paleontological debate centering on the identity of a common ancestor of chimps and humans, which could have lived about six million years ago and still hasn’t been found. That gap in the evolution story is colloquially referred to as the “missing link” controversy. In reality, though, all gaps in the fossil record are technically “missing links” until filled in, and many scientists say the term is meaningless.

Nonetheless, the latest fossil find is likely to ignite further the debate between evolutionists who draw conclusions based on a limited fossil record, and creationists who don’t believe that humans, monkeys and apes evolved from a common ancestor.

Sky News has the best piece on the fossil’s significance and how it ended up in scientists’ hands — it hung on someone’s wall for more than 20 years — but you’re better off poking around the ultra-slick website that’s been designed for it, especially the section “Who is Ida?” and “The Implications.” Click the image to proceed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

Thank God!

daesleeper on May 19, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Grandpa?

hanzblinx on May 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Good for you. Just don’t you go batsh*t insane like he has.

And fyi, looks like a bad science project from my 6 year old niece. Whatevs.

P.S. Going for a 100000000 comments or bust thread whilst Ed is gone?

mjk on May 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM

It kinda looks like Snoopy. With T-Rex arms.

Pasalubong on May 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM

This comment thread should be fun.

It’s a really interesting find.

brak on May 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM

that does it for me! I suppose I’ll just ignore all evidence that proves we didn’t evolve. . . WE FINALLY FOUND IT! We actually DID evolve from single cell organisms by chance! As dae put it. . . Thank GOD!

ThackerAgency on May 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Although I am a theistic evolutionist, this one find with a mysterious ownership history hardly serves as the “missing link.” The story read like a bad marketing hype piece for a late night infomercial.

I’ll wait to see what the scientific community decides.

jediwebdude on May 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Monkey business is afoot.

Mulligan on May 19, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Piltdown Man in 3 … 2 … 1 …

corona on May 19, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Isn’t that what they said about Piltdown Man?

Wethal on May 19, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Missing link for the smurfs, maybe. It’s only 1.5 inches tall.

PJ Emeritus on May 19, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Hey, thanks for moving those goalposts!

ScottMcC on May 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

We share 40% of our DNA with bananas.

So, which came first, the man or the banana?

Akzed on May 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

My favorite exhibit at the zoo has always been the lemurs and now that I know we’re kin folk, I love ‘em even more.

myrenovations on May 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I am trying to figure out what this creature was doing when it was frozen in time. Dancing? Sneaking up behind another missing link creature to scare it? Just saw its property tax bill and died on the spot?

WashJeff on May 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Hey, where’d you get that pic of Sylvester Stallone?

thirteen28 on May 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

RESOLVED:

Ahteists evolved from Apes.

OhEssYouCowboys on May 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Atheists, that is.

OhEssYouCowboys on May 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I thought this was going to be another Fox sexpert thread….

BPD on May 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM

cool stuff!

although i still don’t understand why evolution and god are necessarily incompatible.

perhaps this thread will enlighten me…

homesickamerican on May 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Darwin was a crackpot.

WoosterOh on May 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Yeah it’s interesting, but the article approaches the level of hyper-ventilating.

However, I’m sure HA resident evolution “experts” will be happy to share with us how this find is a joke, evolution is a hoax, etc, etc. As soon as I saw the article on Drudge I knew it’d be a good traffic day for HA.

brak on May 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Its a Sign!

canopfor on May 19, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Heh. Lessee…. found fossil. Maybe it’s authentic. Now it’s proof there is no God, right? We are nothing but animals, is the cry! Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die! Satisfy your lusts, for there is no reason to not stomp on anyone in your way! Atheism über alles! Time to shove all Christians into the death camps–why not? When we die, who’s gonna punish us?

BTW, Allah–be careful of CJ. He’s almost certifiable.

Vanceone on May 19, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Just saw its property tax bill and died on the spot?

WashJeff on May 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

It’s happened before, lol, or maybe cry out loud would be a better choice.

Mulligan on May 19, 2009 at 1:00 PM

We share 40% of our DNA with bananas.

Akzed on May 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Great! I was a 40% cannibal 10 minutes ago.

WashJeff on May 19, 2009 at 1:00 PM

It kinda looks like Snoopy. With T-Rex arms.

Pasalubong on May 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM

That made me laugh. Maybe it’s the Great Pumpkin.

OhEssYouCowboys on May 19, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Wait a tick,looking at the picture,that thing looks
the same as what Ripley was trying to snuff out!!

canopfor on May 19, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Going to be long day here at Creation Central.

JFS61 on May 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM

If Lemurs fling their dung at their captors like monkies and chimps do, that could explain how we achieved a Democrat Party.

44Magnum on May 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM

It’s devolution – Conservatives to Apes to Socialists.

OhEssYouCowboys on May 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM

it’s a huge coup for fans of Uncle Charlie.

Actually, Alfred Russel Wallace was the real father of evolutionary theory (and had a much more expansive view of general evolutionary theory than Darwin).

progressoverpeace on May 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Going to be long day here at Creation Central.

JFS61 on May 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Hehehe.

Allahpundit on May 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM

How do we know it is 50 million years old?
because the rocks are 50 million years old. How do we know the rocks are 50 million years old? because the critter found in them is 50 million years old. It really looks like they did their marketing plan in detail before they introduced their critter.

seven on May 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I’m not quite sure how this exhibits a ‘link’ to humans. It’s a 45-million-year-old monkey.

Do common design features really signify common ancestry?

It’s a cool find, indeed. But methinks this is being over-hyped and over-played by Darwinists.

DPierre on May 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM

We share 40% of our DNA with bananas.

Akzed on May 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

30% Daffodil too.

daesleeper on May 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM

It’s a Hobbit.

Wethal on May 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM

no fossil can prove Macro-Evolution

need not worry though, Micro-Evolution already is settled science.

jp on May 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM

perhaps this thread will enlighten me…

homesickamerican on May 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Probably not.

myrenovations on May 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM

It’s only 1.5 inches tall.

PJ Emeritus on May 19, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Sounds like a fossilized natural abortion. IE: Ancient female monkey spontaneously aborts an un-viable fetus and the malformed baby monkey drops in precisely the right place to fossilize.

I’ll wait until the scientific community at large can examine it before I get all excited.

wearyman on May 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM

It’s amazing how much emphasis is put on things that have no science involved in the scientific community. no testing, no experimenting, no hypothesis. . . they just find a fossil, make up a story, and say EUREKA! let’s teach this to kids because if we don’t we’ll fall farther behind those advanced math and science communities that believe in creation.

ThackerAgency on May 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Nancy is that you!!

canopfor on May 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Hey, thanks for moving those goalposts!

ScottMcC on May 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM

google Piltdown Man and smile….

sven10077 on May 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM

The science is settled.

al-Gore

JiangxiDad on May 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM

It kinda looks like Snoopy. With T-Rex arms.

Pasalubong on May 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM

It does!

I guess that proves Comic strips evolved from fossils.

Daggett on May 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Looks like a Fraggle to me.

MadisonConservative on May 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Grandpa?

hanzblinx on May 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

I was gonna say, Pelosi without her hair, make, and wardrobe? LOL

capejasmine on May 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM

perhaps this thread will enlighten me…

homesickamerican on May 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Don’t hold your breath

vermillionsky on May 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM

myrenovations on May 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM

i’ll still check back later and catch up on the 13 pages of comments that will be here by then. ;-)

homesickamerican on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Look! Over there! An animal with a beneficial mutation it inhereited from its parent who had the same mutation!

Made ya look, dirty crook…

Akzed on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

44Magnum on May 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM

If lemmings are also part of our evolutionary chain, then you are on to something.

WashJeff on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Nancy is that you!!

canopfor on May 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I need to read more carefully. You beat me to it! LOL!!!

capejasmine on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I thought that King Kong was the “eighth wonder of the world”.

Wouldn’t this be the 23rd wonder of the world?

As a geologist and palentologist, there is something a little… strange…. about this million-watt rollout. In addition, the bizarre provenence of this specimen makes me a little suspect, and the “missing link” hoopla is not scientific but off-putting.
Perhaps unintentionally, it brings up the old “Piltdown Man” scenario, and that is not something that Cenozoic paleontologists like to remember, kicking it back to the dumb anthropologists, whom they hate, anyway.

TexasJew on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

ThackerAgency on May 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM

It is a find of scientific importance. Creationists are, by definition, not interested in science in the least. Therefore, I will ignore your snide sarcasm.

hicsuget on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Looks like trees and eco-shame weren’t the only things planted on Earth Day this year…..

leetpriest on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

It’s only 1.5 inches tall.

PJ Emeritus on May 19, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Fact check:

A team of the world’s leading fossil experts, led by Professor Jorn Hurum, of Norway’s National History Museum, have been secretly researching the 1ft 9in-tall young female monkey for the past two years.

I think it used to live in Meerkat Manor.

Brat on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Wow… what a load of propaganda… you found a transitional mammal between Lemurs and monkeys… OH MY GOD!!!!

Next I suppose we’ll have found the missing link and PROVEN DARWIN’s THEORIES when we find the transitional form of poodles to German Shepherds… (or vice versa)

Skywise on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Looked like a pretty interesting find, but that “revealing the link” website makes me think this will be just about as amazingly transformative as the introduction of the Segway.

notropis on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I really do not care if evolution is correct or not I just want it held up to the same standards as other theories like gravity or the speed of light. Instead it is treated as an almost religious gospel. With out critical inquiry there can not be progress (If I remember Bio 101 correctly), so one skeleton does not fill in all the holes in evolution and speciation. Where is the DNA where are the explanations for the Robinsonian fission’s and fusions that occurred with the chromosomes, where is the mitigation of the Founder’s Effect? I can find and show everyone a two headed calf does that mean that Bessie’s natural progression is to dicephalousness?

LincolntheHun on May 19, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Ok, it’s Barney Franks, before, or after the affects of global warming.

capejasmine on May 19, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I just want to know how it managed to change it’s tolerance to warmer air temperature after living in the ocean with gills? How many random mutations were required for that?

kirkill on May 19, 2009 at 1:07 PM

It looks like it died giving itself a manicure.

vermillionsky on May 19, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Thank God!

daesleeper on May 19, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Apologies, I was about six or seven comments down the thread before I got that.

Thank God, indeed.

Sorry, I’m of the “and how does that change things like ‘In the beginning…’ or ‘He is risen’ school of thought.

If this is an actual find (thinking Piltdown man) well, that’s really an amazing find.

kybowexar on May 19, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Going to be long day here at Creation Central.

JFS61 on May 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM

winner

brak on May 19, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I guess Bart Simpson finally has his “Monkey Man”?

The Evil Doctor K on May 19, 2009 at 1:08 PM

The term “missing link” is meaningless, and anyone who studies evolutionary biology would say so.

In Darwin’s time, they had few fossils of any kind (compared to now) let alone supposed “transitional” species. Darwin could only hope to have the data we now have to defend his rudimentary theory; it’s amazing he was able to be as right as he was with what he had at that time.

But as always, wait for the chips to all fall before claiming this little thing as anything.

Bob's Kid on May 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Umm ok. So did anyone know that our closest actual DNA relative is a spiny sea urchin, that we (as in humans) and sea urchins have almost the same DNA composition.

**rolls eyes** if I am a monkey I wanna be a spiny sea monkey!

upinak on May 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM

quote of the day
“This fossil rewrites our understanding of evolution”

maynila on May 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM

cool stuff!

perhaps this thread will enlighten me…

homesickamerican on May 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM

For many, they aren’t. Nor are science and conservatism incompatible for many. At least not in North America.

ProfessorMiao on May 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Everybody knows we were left here by aliens.

Akzed on May 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM

hicsuget on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Tell that to Ferdinand and Isabella who paid for Columbus’ voyage despite the scientists understanding that the world was flat. I suppose you are going to say that they weren’t ‘real Christians’.

Not interested in science in the least? I’m interested in verifiable and testable science that actually moves society forward. Make Cars faster, more reliable, able to withstand crashes.

ThackerAgency on May 19, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I’ll wait to see what the scientific community decides.

jediwebdude on May 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM

That’s how I felt reading it. To be honest, Attenborough did not help sell me on this. (laugh) I would love to have heard Crittendon (bless his departed soul) and his take on this.

kybowexar on May 19, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Honestly, Allah, aside from the attempt to elicit eleventy-hundred comments, I don’t understand the triumphalism over this…

Unless you’re a young earth creationist (a fairly small proportion of those people who object to the claims of neo-darwinism), this discovery isn’t only not damaging to your worldview, it would be as expected to you as it would to a darwinist.

The argument isn’t about the physical morphology of species over time, it’s the philosophical question of causality. The Catholic church and a good number of protestants accept that there were earlier physical forms of animals that led to different species. The point of contention is idiotic non-sequitur which folks like Dawkins employ: “Aha! This proves the Bible is nonsense and God is a giant spaghetti monster in the sky!”

Lame.

Muswell Hillbilly on May 19, 2009 at 1:11 PM

If anyone needs me, I’ll be at the bar drinking champagne with Charles Johnson.

Have fun. Just remember not to disagree with him on anything or he’ll ban you from the bar.

PS. Check your bookshelves. You may or may not have associated/agreed/shared air with radical White Nationalists at some point in the past. Wouldn’t want to be tainted by association or anything.

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 19, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Deal Or No Deal had Man vs. Monkey, last night.

AllahPundit should put up video of that, for further scientific proof that God doesn’t exist.

OhEssYouCowboys on May 19, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Which ones are you talking about, exactly? The only country that rejects evolution more than America does is Turkey.

justfinethanks on May 19, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I instantly think of this passage whenever I read anything related to man’s supposed theory of the beginning of Creationism.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God for the likeness of an image of corruptible man, and of birds, and four-footed beasts, and creeping things. Wherefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts unto uncleanness, that their bodies should be dishonoured among themselves: for that they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. -Rom 1:22-25

While the could be’s, possible’s, and could have been’s are very reassuring… it kind of sounds like the same old lie, told over and over.

“Ye shall be as gods.” -Gen. 3:5

I pray everyone sets the standards of Who/what they worship a little higher.

simon on May 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

How many random mutations were required for that

Well, I don’t know that’s what happened, but genetically? Not as many as you think. All it takes is the switch on or off of a few genes during embryological development and wow…it’s amazing what God has wrought in the genetic code.

Bob's Kid on May 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

**rolls eyes** if I am a monkey I wanna be a spiny sea monkey!

upinak on May 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM

No disrespect meant, but this is NOT what evolutionary theory says. Do people who prefer creationism to evolution actually not understand what evolutionary theory says, or just like to misrepresent it to make it seem ridiculous? Seriously.

ProfessorMiao on May 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Since the fossilized creature found in Germany didn’t have features like a tooth comb or grooming claw, it could be argued that it gave rise to monkeys, apes and humans aardvarks, eggplants and dung beetles, which don’t have these features either.

Fixed.

Evolutionist reasoning at its best.

Daggett on May 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

That website is actually pretty cool.

BadgerHawk on May 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

TexasJew on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

TJ, doesn’t it kind of look like a large rat?

And it is pretty detailed, so maybe it is a fossil they found and just made a picture of ti on a wall.

either way… I don’t believe it is anything but something they saw and it isn’t “human”.

upinak on May 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

hicsuget on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Not as much as they’re making it out to be… any scientist that couldn’t discern that lemurs and monkeys had a common ancestor based on evolutionary theory isn’t worth much.

For that matter, claiming that this proves it’s a transitional fossil proving Lemurs became monkeys isn’t really scientific either. It’s just as likely that this could’ve been an evolved Lemur or a precursor to both Lemurs and monkeys or neither.

Skywise on May 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

See here’s the problem.

If you believe in Evolution every species is a link between the old and the new so this fossil is meaningless.

If you don’t believe in Evolution then this species was simply created with those features just as the platypus was and so called “transitional” features are simply common features designed by the same being.

So really this is just a stunt that some scientists are pulling to try and get more funding or maybe just for the fame. Color me unimpressed.

Kronos on May 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Definitive proof…so that means that we have the offspring from this critter–one of which continues to be a monkey, and the other a human, right?

Of of the astoundingly obvious flaws of evolution is that we need trillions of missing links to get from amino acid stew to humans. One extinct primate neither proves nor disproves the theory.

windbag on May 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

hicsuget on May 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Agree with your first point, totally disagree with the second. Darwinists are, by definition, not interested in science in the least. Because they refuse to be open minded that their hypothesis of macro-evolution might be totally wrong, so they will not be able to see the real truth when it is shown, scientifically. Look at ALL possibilities, that is what SCIENCE would say.

kirkill on May 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

It’s the Manbearpigmonkeything with opposable thumbs that still can’t use a butterfly ballot to vote for Al Gore.

TexasJew on May 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Everybody knows we were left here by aliens.

Akzed on May 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Except that they didn’t leave monoliths – just a very early form of Starbucks.

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Is that….Helen Thomas?

loudmouth883 on May 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Scrawled next to it in claw marks it says, “For the first time in my fossilized lifetime, I’m really proud of being an adapid.”

Crusty on May 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Everybody knows we were left here by aliens.

Akzed on May 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Come now Akzed, according to Dennet we came from the backs of Crystals remember?

One quick thought here folks, this proves nothing on origins. Nuff said.

brotherbell on May 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Someone explain to me, in two words are less, how this proves Darwin’s theory of evolution?

carbon_footprint on May 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM

ProfessorMiao on May 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Umm Miao.. you are taking my sarcasm a tad too seriously.

Think about what sea monkey’s are! Aka… brine shrimp.

upinak on May 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle!

Socratease on May 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I love the smell of fossilized monkeys in the morning.

Correct. It’s a monkey. Now, if it were a mankey, then you’d have something.

tgibson1962 on May 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Jesus Christ, this old urban legend again? This is a myth that started in Washington Irving’s biography of Columbus. Everyone knew the world was a sphere, the only contention is whether or not is was possible to travel to india by going west (as it had never been attempted before.)

justfinethanks on May 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Crusty on May 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

lol!

carbon_footprint on May 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Would it? That abortion clip I posted yesterday began with the pastor saying that man, alone among all creatures in the universe, was created in God’s image. If evolution is a fact — and if it’s still continuing — how do we know what God’s image is? I read a story last year about how humans, in a few thousands years’ time, will look very different than they do. Do we look like God now or will we look like God then?

Allahpundit on May 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I pray everyone sets the standards of Who/what they worship a little higher.

simon on May 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Nah. I found a rock in the back yard with a leaf imprint on it and now I worship that.

myrenovations on May 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM

It just unbelievable the lack of critical thinking by many who believe in this fairy tale for adults.
Find some dead animal who shares some traits with modern ones, HEY! It’s a missing link.
The only thing that’s missing is my Filipino sausage link this morning.

maynila on May 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM