Anderson Cooper: Hey, sorry for that “teabagging” joke but you kind of asked for it

posted at 6:18 pm on May 19, 2009 by Allahpundit

Saith Coop, “I think it’s an incorrect statement to say I was, in any way, trying to disparage legitimate protests.” Really? Watch the clip from last month and decide for yourself. The most telling moment here comes about halfway through when he defends himself by insisting the phrase was, after all, “used and adopted” by tea partiers. I admit to not having paid laserlike attention to how the parties were promoted but I don’t recall many protesters referring to themselves as “teabaggers” or their activities as “teabagging.” They mailed teabags to Obama and other politicians but that’s as close as it got to innuendo, which isn’t very close at all. Am I misremembering or is Cooper simply inventing facts to defect blame? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Branch Rickey on May 19, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Loxodonta on May 19, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Let’s see now, went to Yale, son of Gloria Vanderbilt, #2 most powerful gay man according to Out Magazine, yeah I think Comrade Coop knows all about teabagging. Actually I think he is more of a douchebag than a teabag.

fastandloud1 on May 19, 2009 at 7:34 PM

As much as we’d like to result to name calling, we should not do this. Stand tall. He admitting to knowing what “tea bagging in the gay community” was by the open and obvious laughter of those women who filmed him while giggles eruped in the background.

This is reprehensible behavior by a “journalist” who is currently (and I use that word lightly) employed by MSNBC. Which is owned my Jeffery Immelt. Who also owns General Electric.

General Electric is the chosen vendor to consolidate and digitize each and every Americans’ medical records into their brandy new data base system. And, deliver it to Precedent Obama.

Don’t believe me? Study. Research. Then, pass it on.

Key West Reader on May 19, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Lying Bastard.

RalphyBoy on May 19, 2009 at 7:46 PM

What is “CNN”?

Del Dolemonte on May 19, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Loxodonta on May 19, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I tried to resist the potty humor; but to be honest I giggle at every home (UGA) football game when passing by B-M ~ it’s just bit of “bad” luck that Wally Butts and Harry Mehre were two of the greats in school history. There were actually discussion about the inappropriateness of “Mehre Butts” – but none of the planners foresaw the “Butt Smear” ~ which makes it even funnier, at least to me :)

Branch Rickey on May 19, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Loxodonta on May 19, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Forgot – ROLM@O!

Branch Rickey on May 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I’ll admit that I called the protests “teabagging” until I found out what it meant. In fact, I was totally mystified by all the giggling from Rachel Maddow and her guest during their broadcast about the tea parties. Thanks to you HotAir commenters who enlightened me, I am a more worldly person.

SheofTwoMinds on May 19, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Comments coming from known FAGGOTS like Anderson Cooper, and/or the tarring of Carrie Perjean from the likes of Perez Hilton are done on purpose. That’s why apologies aren’t ever accepted from them, by me…EVER!

byteshredder on May 19, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Teabagging seemed gross when I thought it meant re-using tea bags.

As something related to what perverts do, it seems to justify bringing back sodomy laws to send the behavior back in the closet — where I can ignore it.

Right_of_Attila on May 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM

I’ve heard of a lot of things but I never heard about this tea-bagging ritual that the Cooper types engage in until they started making reference to it and giggling about it.

I gotta believe that most of Cooper’s audience aren’t his chums down at the bathouse so I wonder if that segment of his audience was forced to google a definition for it like I had to. I imagine they were not all that pleased with having to learn about Anderson’s squirrely fetish.

Buddahpundit on May 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Wow — first, Cooper demonstrates a moronic sense of humor and now he exposes himself as a lying coward. What a piece of work.

Stay classy, Andy.

cruadin on May 19, 2009 at 8:36 PM

It’s clear from this “apology” that Cooper’s politics are still in the closet, amongst other things.

WasatchMan on May 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Heh! Cool! Someone here suggested that someone should contact the FCC. I did. I even received a rsponse letter from them. Apparently, instead of being ignored and swept under the carper (which I expected) he’s been forced to give a non-apology apology. Close enough. heh….

vapig on May 19, 2009 at 8:58 PM

It just proves you have lost the youth demographic.
A tribe without reps cannot survive.

strangelet on May 19, 2009 at 8:59 PM

All I have to offer is this:

Pttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Cooper, you are not who you think you are.

hillbillyjim on May 19, 2009 at 9:03 PM

It just proves you have lost the youth demographic.
A tribe without reps cannot survive.

strangelet on May 19, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Oh puh-leese! You so forget the rebellion factor. Kids are spoon fed this tripe all day every day by “the man!” The “man” is the freakin libtards!

SWEET!

vapig on May 19, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Drudge linked recently that Anderson Cooper’s ratings have plummeted and he is on the verge of being cancelled. The novelty of being closeted and Gloria Vanderbilt’s kid has worn off.

Marcus on May 19, 2009 at 9:05 PM

It just proves you have lost the youth demographic.
A tribe without reps cannot survive.

strangelet on May 19, 2009 at 8:59 PM

You are a strange little strangelet, strangelet. Why do you treat yourself so poorly?

You have shown some intelligence; why do you repress it?

hillbillyjim on May 19, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Addendum: the story that Drudge linked to regarding the miserable demise of Anderson Cooper’s ratings and probable death notice in the future came from The Los Angeles Times.

Marcus on May 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I’ll repeat what I sent to Cooper on Twitter:

Don’t sweat the teabagging @andersoncooper I’m sure you make “colored” jokes when talking about the NAACP

Stickeehands on May 19, 2009 at 9:11 PM

One guy on Fox News and some wise-asses on the ground:

Aside from that, it was the left interested in teabagging.

calbear on May 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Cooper owes his success to his mom & her connections. He denies it & lives in denial.

BHO Jonestown on May 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM

It was Rick Santelli on CNBC who first spoke of ‘tea parties’ as current day protests over government spending. Had he given a thought to the MSNBC loons and how they might report on his ‘tea party’ idea, perhaps he’d have chosen a different term.

As for Anderson Cooper, et al, they have as much journalistic integrity as a gang of prepubescent kids giggling over sick locker room jokes.

Dee2008 on May 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Cooper’s a liar and a scumbag.

I’d post what my REAL response was, but it would never get past moderation.

Come back out on the Fourth of July, Mr. Cooper, I double-dog dare you.

Merovign on May 19, 2009 at 10:25 PM

The teabag jokes simply let viewers know that they are turning into bad taste.

Nothing more.

AnninCA on May 19, 2009 at 11:52 PM

But……botox Nancy stories aren’t any better.

Same schtick.

And that’s Rush.

AnninCA on May 20, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Okay well he may think it no big deal but I will never respect him again or trust any story he covers. Too much bias, for too long.

petunia on May 20, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Am I misremembering or is Cooper simply

a dumb as a stump, self annointed elitist, bull fruit.

I’d have added leftist but the majority of these people are so stupid there is no depth to their ideology.

peacenprosperity on May 20, 2009 at 6:22 AM

I would be upset if i thought Cooper was a serious journalist. What? He is? Well, then, color me upset that a capital-J journalist feels that making a joke in a newscast is appropriate – no matter what his personal feelings.

blish on May 20, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Holy crap!

I’m amazed that there are mature comments posted on YouTube about this video.

VibrioCocci on May 20, 2009 at 9:32 AM

In fairness to Anderson Cooper when teabags were mentioned, he was probably casting about for his own personal reference:) No we know Anderson Cooper isn’t a tea drinker otherwise he might have some other frame of reference. They all copied Jon Stewart I’m guessing you know the fake news anchor :) So CNN wants to compete with the fake news…I hear ya CNN it would be so much easier if you didn’t have to pretend you make up the news LOL!

Dr Evil on May 20, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Yeah AC, I’m sure your “Tea bagger” comment left a bad taste in your mouth. /Sarcasm

byteshredder on May 20, 2009 at 1:33 PM

2 words for you, Cooper….

BITE ME!!!

capejasmine on May 20, 2009 at 1:46 PM

“The only thing I can contribute to this potty humor is that I did know a Ben Dover once, but not in a biblical sense.”

Haha, here’s more potty humor. There is an engineer consultant in Houston by the name of Michael Hunt. He worked with us for three weeks before I called him ‘Mike’… and suddenly realized his name was quite funny :). Poor guy.

Kevin M on May 20, 2009 at 2:56 PM

“Am I misremembering or is Cooper simply inventing facts to defect blame?”

Simple enough, just have AC present the evidence that

“phrase was, after all, “used and adopted” by tea partiers”

They must have the tape somewhere, after all were talking about CNN (they should know what they broadcasted)

Mediamaters they record every second of “news” broadcasting.

Same foe MSNBC.

If they can’t?

$500K fine for EACH and EVERY time that term was used to mock legal legitimate protest.

(preferable paid by the so called “talent” AC, Olbermann, Maddow)

DSchoen on May 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM