O’Reilly: How the NYT buried an Obama/ACORN expose just before the election

posted at 9:49 pm on May 18, 2009 by Allahpundit

Powerline was all over this today, to the extent that I can’t do any better here than to urge you to read their fisking of the NYT’s ombudsman’s spin job. Quote:

A key part of Moncrief’s story was that the Obama campaign had furnished ACORN with lists of maxed-out donors so that ACORN could mine them for contributions. In fact, Moncrief provided the Times reporter, Strom, with such a list that ACORN allegedly obtained from the Obama campaign. Hoyt does not dispute that this story, if true, was evidence of violation of the campaign finance laws…

Hoyt also argues that the story about Obama and ACORN would not have been a “game-changer” in that it would not have swung the election to John McCain. I agree. But since when is that the standard? Is Hoyt telling us that the Times’ policy is only to print stories that have the potential to change the result of a Presidential election? Of course, if the story did have the potential to change the outcome of the election, that, too, would have been offered as a reason not to print it.

A story that would have changed the result of the election? Nah. A story that should have been run once it became firm enough to print? Of course. Why didn’t the Times do so?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What irritates me more about this Chrysler situation, they won’t take the inventory (vehicles) out of the dealerships that are closing down; therefore, stickin’ em big time even though they were mostly successful in sales.

About ACORN, yeah underground media are the only ones investigating all of this. I too want to get rid of the big ones, but–they are in for the long haul.

I don’t see anything coming out of the Dem administration doing anything about it. Class action lawsuit? Not even taking it to the Supreme Court will do./hopeless

ProudPalinFan on May 19, 2009 at 7:41 AM

How many death threats will O’Reilly receive for reporting ACORN corruption? Glenn Beck received over 2000 death threats in a week for exposing ACORN.
When will someone in the gutless GOP take on ACORN and Obama seizing the census?
If ANYONE actually thinks we will have fair and open elections in 2010 and 2012, BACK AWAY FROM THE CRACKPIPE!
It ain’t happening folks, the 2010 and 2012 elections are a sham already.

nelsonknows on May 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Beck is such a strong guy I tell ya…I pray he does not fall back into his old habit (ykwim); he is a Pisces, lefthanded and very intuitive (just like me). Death threats? I did not expect him to get 2K but I guess more are about to come.

I got your back, buddy. Hang in there (think cute kitty poster) and your friends @FOX and the 912′ers are with you. We just need several crates of torches and pitchforks.

Can’t wait for the 7/4 Tea Party. So much crap has happened I don’t believe we are gonna have enough material to protest it all.

Gotta go get kids ready. C’ya later.

ProudPalinFan on May 19, 2009 at 7:47 AM

No, just less openly hostile to our history and liberty.

clnurnberg on May 18, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Yep. And, at least, we know that Biden is actually eligible to be President … which does indicate a serious weakness in our Constitution, if anyone actually did follow it.

progressoverpeace on May 18, 2009 at 10:53 PM

The Constitution is fine… it is Congress that is supposed to make laws to enforce the Constitution. Like OK you are supposed to be a “natural born citizen” – Prove it!

Dasher on May 19, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Not if it had changed the outcome from a McCain victory to an Obama victory. In that case the public would have had a right to know.

FloatingRock on May 18, 2009 at 10:04 PM

The MSM felt differently when it came to reporting on those made up National Gaurd papers. They were so eager to rush them to print that they didn’t even bother to check to see if they were authentic first.

MarkTheGreat on May 19, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Anita Moncrief’s blog is a must read. I came across it last week as I was looking for info on Jerry Nadler’s role in getting John Conyers to reverse himself on investigating ACORN.

A.M. demonstrates that it is not just the NYT who whitewash ACORN’s activities. She has emails from Aaron Dorfman, a former ACORN employee, who runs the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy a so-called “watchdog” organization. Like this:

…I wanted to let you know that I have intentionally not driven traffic to the critical blog piece I posted on July 21st. We have a monthly e-news letter that links to all our major work, and the e-news is what drives traffic from our constituents to the blog. We purposely did not include a link to the critical post in our July e-news, which was sent out at the end of the month. My strategy is that I will write a piece soon that says, “wow, look at how effectively ACORN is addressing these problems they faced. the problems were bad, as I noted in my prior post, but now they’re doing everything right to fix it.” Once I’m credibly able to write that piece and post it, I’ll start driving traffic to the positive piece which will only mention the negative piece in passing. If you have comments, criticism or suggestions for me on that front, I’m certainly open to hearing you out.

Three months later Dorman wrote a piece entitled, “It’s time to invest in ACORN again”.

Buy Danish on May 19, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Beck & O’Reilly are going to need their own secret service to keep them safe…if they keep this up!

But, I fear the left is so entrenched in it’s own hate that it can’t see to see.
Did anyone see Barney Frank babbling on Lou Dobbs last night? I couldn’t believe what I was watching. It was like watching a 13 year old screaming, “But you started it! Your mom did it first!”
ugh…

bridgetown on May 19, 2009 at 9:18 AM

When the GOP is back in power, they had better pursue charges and prosecute everyone one, and I mean everyone, who is guilty of election fraud.

madmonkphotog on May 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM

madmonkphotog on May 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I agree – Unfortunately many states, MN for example have such lax voting laws, that fraud is virtually impossible to detect. Same day registration with no proof of residence or citizenship required. Makes for lots of fraud.. but no way to detect it.

Dasher on May 19, 2009 at 9:41 AM

“All the news that’s fit to print suppress.”

whitetop on May 19, 2009 at 9:45 AM

“Why didn’t the Times do so?”

If it wasn’t Allah, this would be a kneeslapper.

notagool on May 19, 2009 at 9:51 AM

What irrates me is when O’Reilly says (almost verbatium) “I’m sure Obama wasn’t aware of this.” Obama doesn’t know how corrupt ACORN is and he isn’t aware of how corrupt GE is.

Obama is the most “unaware” person in the U.S. He surrounds himself with corruption but yet, he’s not aware of any of it.

moonsbreath on May 19, 2009 at 10:10 AM

They are hoping that enough of us are idiots…

clnurnberg on May 18, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Considering the results of the election, their hope turned out to be correct.

Yakko77 on May 19, 2009 at 10:13 AM

NYT…where it’s ok to out a CIA interrogator, even revealing his current place of employment and the town where he lives

withholds information about an ACORN investigation. Shocking.

scalleywag on May 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM

It ain’t happening folks, the 2010 and 2012 elections are a sham already.
nelsonknows on May 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM

They absolutely will be. Watch closely as America transforms into something closer to Venezuela than the America we used to know.

Until Americans wake up and realize that this is real and take to the streets in a serious (and scary to some) way, this march to marxism will continue at a very rapid pace.

Goodeye_Closed on May 19, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Of course, Obama will never have to undergo an audit of his campaign finances, so we’ll never know what other shady things they did. That’s part of the reason they turned down public financing.

hawksruleva on May 19, 2009 at 10:46 AM

moonsbreath on May 19, 2009 at 10:10 AM

O’Reilly does give Obama a shocking amount of slack, doesn’t he? I wonder at what point Bill will see the light. I mean, either Obama is inept, or he’s amazingly bad at hiring, or he’s a dirty Chicago pol.

hawksruleva on May 19, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Bill is hedging his bets. He doesn’t want to come off like a crusading anti-Barack “wingnut,” so he’s playing it safe for now. If Obama is implicated in anyway, I do think Bill will then go after him.

D2Boston on May 19, 2009 at 11:42 AM

McCain, if I remember correctly, kept all his contributors on a list, and openly. For all to view. Obama did not. After the election, McCains campaign was investigated, Obama’s was not. Yet we all knew there was some crooked crap going on.

Now…if Obama’s campaign did indeed do this, that is corruption. Illegal. Yet the newspaper didn’t feel the need to report this, on those grounds, and it’s said it wouldn’t have been a game changer?

That would mean, everyone that supported this, is complicit, and has no problem with illegal activity. So when this corruption reaches your doorstep, you’d really have no reason to whine about your rights. You support it.

capejasmine on May 19, 2009 at 12:11 PM

There is rather incredible evidence at this link that demonstrate a working relationship between ACORN and the National Committee for Responsible Philanthropy.

gabriel sutherland on May 19, 2009 at 12:14 PM

All of the things going on this week alone is blowing my mind! Remember to pray for Glenn Beck tomorrow with him going on The View. He sounded somewhat trepidatious on his show this morning. He has values, principals and he doesn’t have to write things down because he speaks from his heart. You will do just fine Mr. Beck!

Eyvonne on May 19, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Normally, I wouldn’t wipe my ass with the New York Times. The NYT is not good enough to rise up to the level of that kind of crappy treatment. BUT, if they’d run that Obama/ACORN expose’, I just might have changed my policy just for that article as an example of what I think of TOTUS and ACORN.

CatchAll on May 19, 2009 at 4:33 PM

O’Reilly: How the NYT buried an Obama/ACORN expose just before the election

Nothing new here O’Reilly. The New York Slimes should have had their doors padlocked years ago, and put out of business. They’ve been the eyes and ears for the enemies of the United States for a long time. They are the enemy within, and are well documented as such. Normally a spy would be picked up by the FBI, charged and put away. So why haven’t the same apply to the NYT? Instead of being a one man operation, they’re a much larger spy network, but still the same?

byteshredder on May 19, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Typical of the whole election process this time around. Carries over to the administration, crime in progress.

RalphyBoy on May 19, 2009 at 8:06 PM