Oh my: Jim Webb flip-flops, now opposes closing Guantanamo

posted at 1:55 pm on May 18, 2009 by Allahpundit

To be more precise: He now opposes closing it anytime soon but naturally is A-OK with closing it at some murky, distant time in the future. Which, as far as I can tell, means he holds the same position on it as George W. Bush or Dick Cheney. Moe Lane thinks this is poll-driven but I’m more inclined to believe that someone with a national security background like Webb’s knew all along that it was a bad idea to close it and was simply giving The One political cover until there was a fig leaf available to let him flip-flop. The new military commissions are that fig leaf, allowing him to pretend that all the alleged defects in Bush’s approach have been cured and therefore Gitmo’s no longer a problem, so a flip-floppin’ we go. The more intriguing question is whether he’s undercutting Obama by doing this or actually secretly helping him out. Superficially it’s a headache for the White House to have a prominent Democratic senator disagreeing with them on Sunday morning TV, but given the respect Webb commands, this gives The One plenty of new political cover to do some flip-flopping himself. Time to put the nutroots on suicide watch?

Sorry to give you this in two clips but you need to watch both (especially the second) to get the full flavor of just how sharp a reversal this is. The first vid focuses on Webb’s opposition to another Obama policy — namely, releasing the 17 Uighurs detained at Gitmo into the United States because they’re no longer a threat except, of course, that they very much are. But then, we already knew that. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m interested in the summary of Webb’s military benefit legislation.

maverick muse on May 18, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Jim Webb has the I.Q. of a watermelon.

Percy_Peabody on May 18, 2009 at 3:58 PM

The funny thing is, if we’d elected McCain, we’d probably be closer to closing GTMO.

J.E. Dyer on May 18, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Jim Webb has the I.Q. of a watermelon.

Percy_Peabody on May 18, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Percy,

As one of Sen Webb’s constituents, I DEMAND that you apologize to watermelons!

TugboatPhil on May 18, 2009 at 4:08 PM

arizonateacher, to make a comment like you did at 3:35 and then not stick around to explain or defend it makes you

….less than credible. ( I’m trying to avoid the T-word )

Janos Hunyadi on May 18, 2009 at 4:12 PM

i don’t like webb. remember all those wonderful dem things he’s voted “aye” on. the voice vote for DHS Napolitano is just one–and that’s an easy one. and look what she has said about those that are drawn to terrorists: 2d amendment types & former military. that is jim webb folks. and that is a big part of his constituency.

kelley in virginia on May 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM

His prior opposition was good enough to get him elected, but not good enough for him to stay in office without looking like a total loon.

Lefties, take note of two things there: one, you’re being lied to to get your votes, and two, the things you think are important are freakin’ nuts.

James on May 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM

From my calls to Sen Webb’s office, I’d say he’d pretty much a “follow the party line” type guy. Much like OBarry, he was given a pass during the campaign and the Virginia press pretty much spent their entire time typing macaca over and over. I don’t remember Webb being asked anything that required independent thought.

Also have to credit the WaPo for slamming Allen just about daily. NoVA voters are pretty much like any major urban area in the U.S. now and will vote for Dems no matter who they are.

TugboatPhil on May 18, 2009 at 4:21 PM

One last note. Separated at birth? Look for a picture of a young Larry Flynt and put it next to Webb’s. After all, they are brother Dems now.

TugboatPhil on May 18, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Nah. As long as Webb’s still willing to say he wants to punch out George W. Bush, the netroots can lay off the sedation medication.

jon1979 on May 18, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I vote for poll driven

They flipped too fast to find a sudden need for Gitmo.

Unless a whole boatload of Talibans washed up in Miami, Obama is at the apex of his Creating a Palestinian Homeland so We Don’t Need No Gitmo Drama

Tossing out Gitmo was supposed to make him one with the oppressed terrorist and gain the trust of the rogue nations scorned by Bush

I could be wrong. It could have been an ephiphany. Obama did go to Notre Dame recently

entagor on May 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I judge Webb on how he ran his campaign and how he has acted as a Senator–and again, as I pointed out, I don’t publicly criticize him

Janos Hunyadi on May 18, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I wonder how many people remember his antisemitic flyers during the Democratic primary or his refusal to shake President Bush’s hand when being introduced at the White House.

dawgyear on May 18, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Boy, am I not surprised. With all the flip-flopping going on among Democrat politicans these days, Webb’s cynical flip-flop is just one more proof that Democrat politicians and the Democrat Party will do anything, say anything, lie, cheat and steal to gain public office. And once they get in power the corruption and cronyism begins.
On a side note: has anyone noticed that the Democrats keep calling themselves the “Democratic Party”? Since when did this name-change occur? A while back, I saw Ann Coulter on Larry King. That joyless Joy Behar was guest-hosting. After Ann Coulter kept referring to the Democrat Party as the Democrat Party, Behemoth Behar made a snotty comment “since when did the Democratic Party become known as the Democrat Party?”
Behemoth Behar doesn’t know her own party’s history. It began as the Democrat Party and was known and referred to as such until very recently. I can only think this is some 1984 New-speak attempt by the Lefties to re-brand their hack-ridden political party; “Look at us America, we are democratic and we’re implying that the other guys aren’t!”
Hell, if the Democrats keep on insisting that their party be called the Democratic Party, then we Republicans should insist that our party be called the Republicanism Party. It’s only fair, right?
Meanwhile, I’m looking forward to going along with the RNC in regards to the Democrat Party’s well-deserved re-branding and calling it the Democrat Socialist Party.

CatchAll on May 18, 2009 at 5:03 PM

It’s a very small leaf and doesn’t quite do the job. Leaves him exposed.

Herb on May 18, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Webb has always looked to me like a nasty piece of work, and his churlishness behavior toward President Bush just reinforces that in my mind. It doesn’t take any good qualities to get elected if you are a Dem and you can walk and chew gum at the same time. The media will take care of destroying your opponent for you.

drunyan8315 on May 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Jim Webb is a far left Lib that had to do a 180 over Gitmo because Obama thought that releasing the Chinese Muslims in No. VA was such a great idea. I know Jim Webb has been getting clobbered ever since Obama got in on almost everything. Yet, he is still voting for everything that Obama wants. This is the first chink in the armor that I have seen. He will be voting for higher taxes, nationalization of health care, and everything else that will make our country weaker. He is the consumate Liberal. It doesn’t matter if he served his country honorably in the past, he isn’t and won’t do it now. He is Obama’s man in VA and anything Obama wants, he will vote for. Same for Mark Warner. They are joined at the hip and Virginia will suffer for it.

BetseyRoss on May 18, 2009 at 5:19 PM

They sure flip flop in unison. I give him 10.0, 10.0, 10.0 for synchronized swimming gold medal.

seven on May 18, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Um, okay. What do you think about, say, Oliver North?

ladyingray on May 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM

My brother in law was in command of an Army unit stationed in Afghanistan, and had a photo op with Oliver North when the the Afghans got to vote for the first time (Thanks To the U.S. Military). Oliver North is a patriot. My brother in law sent the whole family copies, I still have mine. My brother in law also served in Iraq he is stationed in D.C. right now but he will be getting a new tour of duty soon closer to us, and we are pretty happy about that we are all trying end up in the same city. My husband is a 27 year Army Veteran. Again I’m not going to disparage Jim Webbs service to his country.

People want to squabble over politics, and I think our National Security is more important if Jim Webb can MOVE the Obama administration to keep terrorist off of American Soil more power to him.

Dr Evil on May 18, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Again I’m not going to disparage Jim Webbs service to his country.

Dr Evil on May 18, 2009 at 6:05 PM

I wish I had a copy of that pic.

I don’t disparge Jim Webbs service to his country while serving in the military. He is, however, a no-class political hack as a Senator.

In my mind, those issues are separate.

ladyingray on May 18, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Yay! I can call Jim Webb hypocrite … again. He’s yet another short sited dolt who embraced policies of political expedience, while ignoring the real consequences of such policies. Who does he remind me of … oh yeah … the president.

Stickeehands on May 18, 2009 at 6:30 PM

As December 31, 2009 approaches Obama will issue multiple executive orders requiring the destruction of all evidence that he promised to and signed an order for Gitmo to be closed by year’s end.

It never happened. All of us need to exercise more care in accepting erroneous reports that our great leader could ever do anything as stupid as promise to close a detention facility containing terrorists with no clue what to do with the detainees.

Basilsbest on May 18, 2009 at 6:54 PM

ladyingray on May 18, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I’m not in Virginia but I got Cornyn and Hutchinson, and I am not happy with either of them. They both signed off on the first TARP and voted with Obama on Stimulus and yea to confirm Geithner sigh…. I would love to see the back of their heads. As I recall Hutchinson voted yea on Shamnesty because she was pushing George W Bush’s So called Immigration reform. I am not happy with the majority of our elected officials. So unhappy, I attended our local tea party, and plan on attending the next. Until someone in Washington gets the Message!

I did vote for Governor Sarah Palin, and Cindy McCain’s husband :)

I kept getting told during the campaign season to make up my mind “there are no perfect candidates” I had problems with a lot of McCain’s positions (He also served his country in the American military) so I swallowed hard, and voted for him GRIN.

Dr Evil on May 18, 2009 at 7:27 PM

It is too bad he will not flip flop on things that really kill innocent life.

Jamson64 on May 18, 2009 at 9:55 PM

He barely won his Senate race in ’06. How’s his poll numbers look? Somehow I don’t think the D.C. yuppies in northern Virginia really want to deal with the Gitmo trash in their own backyards.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 19, 2009 at 12:10 AM