Wow: Maureen Dowd plagiarizes lefty blogger? Update: I got it from a “friend,” says Dowd

posted at 7:45 pm on May 17, 2009 by Allahpundit

I added the question mark to be on the safe side but there’s really no doubt about it. Josh Marshall, writing at TPM on Thursday:

More and more the timeline is raising the question of why, if the torture was to prevent terrorist attacks, it seemed to happen mainly during the period when we were looking for what was essentially political information to justify the invasion of Iraq.

And Dowd, today:

More and more the timeline is raising the question of why, if the torture was to prevent terrorist attacks, it seemed to happen mainly during the period when the Bush crowd was looking for what was essentially political information to justify the invasion of Iraq.

This makes twice in the span of four days that a major newspaper’s been caught cribbing material from nutroots blogs, which stands to reason. According to a survey of more than 200 journalists recently conducted at BYU, “despite equal awareness [of lefty and righty blogs], journalists spend more time reading posts in the liberal blogosphere.” Contain your surprise.

For example, more journalists know about Michelle Malkin than Talking Points. Yet twice as many journalists actually read Talking Points than read Michelle Malkin.

“When journalists take story ideas from blogs, those ideas naturally will come from blogs they read,” Davis said. “These reading patterns suggest journalists may be getting primarily one view of the blogosphere.”

They’re taking more than just ideas, champ. In fact, the beauty of MoDo’s snafu is that not only does it show a major player in the media being led around by nutroots talking points, it involves her lifting stuff from a blog that’s actually called “Talking Points.” Glorious. Exit question: Any predictions as to what her excuse will be? I’m guessing she’ll say she was copy/pasting material when researching the article and she hit paste in the wrong document and then forgot that she didn’t write that bit and somehow the Times’s five layers of fact-checking or whatever didn’t recognize the quote — which is surprising, really, given that they’re all probably TPM readers too. All theories welcome, though. Oh, to be a JournoList member tonight!

I posted this clip last week but a fresh viewing might be warranted under the circumstances.

Update: A site about NYT gossip claims to have obtained a statement from Dowd. It’s unspeakably lame so I’m guessing, yeah, it’s authentic.

josh is right. I didn’t read his blog last week, and didn’t have any idea he had made that point until you informed me just now.
i was talking to a friend of mine Friday about what I was writing who suggested I make this point, expressing it in a cogent — and I assumed spontaneous — way and I wanted to weave the idea into my column.
but, clearly, my friend must have read josh marshall without mentioning that to me.
we’re fixing it on the web, to give josh credit, and will include a note, as well as a formal correction tomorrow.

I.e. “I didn’t mean to rip off Josh Marshall, I meant to rip off my friend.” I’m curious as to how this exchange with her “friend” went, precisely. Presumably they were chatting casually and whoever it was read Marshall’s quote and she said, “Great point! Say that again!” and he/she repeated it … verbatim, and slowly while MoDo scribbled it down. Has that ever happened to you while making chitchat? Someone asks you to repeat a point you made and you restate it … word for word?

Update: Ah, a more reasonable possibility from the comments: When she says she was “talking” to a friend, she might mean IMing. The friend could have copy/pasted it without attribution and she thought it was an original idea. Even so, though, when I want to use something someone’s said to me in casual conversation, I always frame it as “As a friend said to me the other day” or some similar formulation. The alternative is to ask their permission to treat the idea as your own, but presumably she didn’t do that in this case or else the friend would have said where he got it from.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hollier than Dowd??

poxoma on May 18, 2009 at 8:33 AM

I love it when Liberal frauds expose themselves for the lying hacks they are.

AZCoyote on May 18, 2009 at 8:38 AM

A friend? How come she didn’t just rip off her husband instead?

Oh, wait…

Red Cloud on May 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM

So she remembers word for word what a “friend” tells her? The exact wording?
It is so apparent now, it is amazing they even try to hide it. They have dinner together, share the DNC talking points together (Rush is famous at putting strings of the same “words” together from different sources), same blogs…they actually think they are being “tricky”, when we all know the obvious.

right2bright on May 18, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Dear Jayson Blair,

See? This is how you do it, and keep your job when you get caught.

Midas on May 18, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I love it when Liberal frauds expose themselves for the lying hacks they are.

AZCoyote on May 18, 2009 at 8:38 AM

It won’t matter. Their liberal friends will defend them.

I have liberal friends in the press who have done outrageous things. Each time, I think, “Wow, they’re going to get slammed even by their own friends in the press for this.” But, each time, their liberal friends in the press actually defend them. No hypocrisy is too outrageous to violate ideology.

Daggett on May 18, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Seems like a pretty stupid line to copy, anyway.

Yep, we were waterboarding for fun, while putting our full efforts into “looking for what was essentially political information to justify the invasion of Iraq”.

Sad little world these folks live in.

To parphrase Frasier Crane, “Tell me Cliff Josh Maureen, what color is the sky in your world?”

reaganaut on May 18, 2009 at 9:09 AM

She’s white, but she’s a woman, so these wash one another out meaning that there’ll be no penalty to speak of.

Akzed on May 18, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Honesty hasn’t been the NYT’s agenda since WWII. The propaganda has not stopped brainwashing New Yorkers for generations. It is all most of them know and are like a bunch of lemmings waiting for the next talking point to go into action. Joseph Goebells would be proud of Lil Artie. Why would the democratic party nationalize what they already own?

volsense on May 18, 2009 at 9:14 AM

“I got it from a friend.”

That was my response in high school when my parents asked where I got the mushrooms weed beer from.

Potfry on May 18, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Propaganda news
Propaganda public schools
Propaganda universities
Propaganda TV shows
Propaganda movies
Propaganda politicians
It isn’t jihad or race or party tearing our country apart, it’s lies — those who recognize them as lies from those who don’t.

Christian Conservative on May 18, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Despicable echo chamber of propaganda.

marklmail on May 18, 2009 at 9:29 AM

I am surprised she didn’t say “my actual notes were eaten by my dog, so I had to rely on my friends memory”.

right2bright on May 18, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Akzed on May 18, 2009 at 9:14 AM

White, woman, black, doesn’t matter…as long as she is a loyal liberal. The liberal card trumps all cards.

right2bright on May 18, 2009 at 9:31 AM

You mean to tell me she actually has to steal the inane drivel she spews??

Da-ham. It is nearly impossible for my opinion of her to drop any lower. But she has made it happen.

I pity this bitter shrew. Her ” career ” as a liberal hack for the failing NYT is soon to end and there is still no man in sight.

Karma, baby.

DeweyWins on May 18, 2009 at 9:34 AM

right2bright on May 18, 2009 at 9:31 AM

I dunno. I don’t think that Jason Blair had any Reagan memorabilia in his office.

Akzed on May 18, 2009 at 9:41 AM

So she remembers word for word what a “friend” tells her? The exact wording?

right2bright on May 18, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Not word for word. She threw in the obligitory “Bush did it” meme.

Johan Klaus on May 18, 2009 at 9:46 AM

With apologies to REO Speedwagon:

Take it on the run

She got it from a friend who
Got it from a friend who
Got it from another She’s been cuttin’ and pastin’
They say you’re a plagarist
Youre readin’ lefty blogs every weekend
You’re cuttin’ and pastin’ and its bringin the Left down

But I know the Net
And talk is cheap when the story is good
And the tales grow taller on down the line
But Im telling you, babe
That I knows its true, babe
And keep this in mind

{refrain}

You take it on the run baby
If thats the way you want it baby
Then you’re gonna bring the Left down
We all believe it
In a New York minute
You were under the gun so you took it on the run

Youre thinking up your white lies
Youre putting on your bedroom eyes
You say youre gonna resign but you wont say when
But I can feel it coming
If you resign tonight keep running
And you need never look back again

TheBigOldDog on May 18, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I see a high-paying gubmint job in her future.

ex-Democrat on May 18, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Go easy on Maureen – she has never really gotten over her fling with Michael Douglas.

She has simply been busted and not by doing something particularly bright.

Kind of like Doris Kearns Goodwin swiping the lines from another book on the Kennedy family and inserting them into her own book on that topic.

Given the NYT’s circulation, though, at least not many people read it.

molonlabe28 on May 18, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Makes you wonder just how much of her writing is original. Does anyone at the NYT care? Doubtful. They aren’t known for setting high standards in journalism anymore anyway.

scalleywag on May 18, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Ah, how the mighty have fallen! From “All the news that’s fit to print” to “All the opinions we can plagiarize from other (liberal) sources.”

Forget the clownish Dowd; this story is about how pathetic a rag the NY Times has become, that they tolerate celebrate such rubbish.

Jaibones on May 18, 2009 at 10:10 AM

“Honesty hasn’t been the NYT’s agenda since WWII.”

Before, Walter Duranty was such a lying sack that the Slimefilth has posted a disclaimer on his Pulitzer display.

Unlike the Washington Post, however, they haven’t given it back.

ebrown2 on May 18, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Can you expect anything less from the NYT. It’s just one big Lefty Blog.

regmgr on May 18, 2009 at 10:14 AM

More lefty deflection. If it was for political purposes alone, then Pelosi and the others approved of torture to help Bush justify Iraq!

littleguy on May 18, 2009 at 10:19 AM

So she remembers word for word what a “friend” tells her? The exact wording?

right2bright on May 18, 2009 at 8:42 AM

“Told by a friend” is probably code for an email or text message? That would explain it.

EconomicNeocon on May 18, 2009 at 10:20 AM

MoDo said she’ll resign when Nancy PeKnowsi does.

LoneStarGal on May 18, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Propaganda news
Propaganda public schools
Propaganda universities
Propaganda TV shows
Propaganda movies
Propaganda politicians

You know, this made me think of something…recently I’ve been watching a lot of Hulu and watching some shows I normally wouldn’t, such as Dollhouse (because Josh Whedon writes/directs/produces it) and old episodes of Sliders. But, they say this stuff that is soooo leftist, anti-American, and BS, that I just can’t watch anymore. Like the last episode I watched of Dollhouse, two females are captive in the basement of the main bad guy. One of the females doesn’t know what’s been going on lately (long story, don’t bother), and gets all stupid about not being able to go on and giving up, and then the main character says something insipid like (paraphrasing), “No matter what, slavery is a bad thing and especially now that we have a black president, I’m not going to stand for it!” To which the other girl replies (paraphrasing), “We have a black president?!? OK then, let’s GOOOO, I’m motivated and not giving up now!!!” –> God, TV is so rampant with this stupidity now that I just can’t stomach watching it anymore…

What do we expect from liberals? They have lost any moral compass and will go to any lengths to promote their agenda. Is anyone surprised that people that work for the NYT plagiarize, lie (Pelosi), demean others for having different points of view (demonizing Carrie Prejean, when BHO has the same stated belief), or using intimidation/violence to bully for their way?

What happens if/when the leftists get their way? The schools have made drones of most kids, the universities are churning out the activist morons that can’t think for themselves or even understand our rights/Constitution, nearly all forms of media are shills for the left…its going to be the ruin of the US and they will bring us to a totalitarian regime under which no one will be able to escape…its very disheartening.

Geministorm on May 18, 2009 at 10:25 AM

So she is on her 3rd explanation which is false.

She regrets getting busted. She regrets it hamering her ego.

I am sure her keyboard is out of control.

seven on May 18, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Josh must be livid. Bad enough to be plagarized, but the explanation trivialized any complaint he might have.

Dowd can be clever with her approach, but I haven’t found her nearly so inventive with ideas. This confirms my opinion.

AnninCA on May 18, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Slip sliding away…….That’s what the print media is doing. Who needs them if all they can do is parrot the blogs.

The NYT is a fishwrap provider, and nothing else useful.

Death throws.

saiga on May 18, 2009 at 10:28 AM

“I got it from a friend”…

You get the clap from a friend.

Plagiarism is either stealing without attribution, or a vast left wing conspiracy complete with Talking Point Memo.

juanito on May 18, 2009 at 10:30 AM

It’s sloppy and lazy. This isn’t current this happened back in 2002. NYT this is the year of our Lord 2009. They can’t report – comment on the current Administration? Bush & Chaney are old familiar targets but Bush & Cheney haven’t been in office for awhile now. This is a Liberal thing they love to live in the PAST, and play fault finding. Okay what were the results of Bush & Cheney they kept us safe for the last 7 years. War isn’t pretty, War isn’t fair, the enemy doesn’t play by any rules, except to win by ANY MEANS. Oh and the enemy HATES socialist and secularist more than they hate Christians and Traditionalist. There is no way to endear yourself to a fanatic bent on you “converting, paying a tribute or dying” Sometimes it is hard to believe the people at the NYT remembers what happened on 9/11. If they do they totally have discounted the effects that day had on the entire country – USA. That is why the polling comes out the way it does, every time they poll people AMERICANS of all ethnicities about the use of Water Boarding. It’s almost like the NYT is this island cut off from the rest of the country. Well the good news maybe they will be under new management soon but who knows if that CHANGE will be for the better.

Dr Evil on May 18, 2009 at 10:31 AM

And then they say Palin doesn’t write her own stuff. *Snort*

the_nile on May 18, 2009 at 10:32 AM

“The Bush Crowd”, that’s female left-wing journalists, bush league.

kirkill on May 18, 2009 at 10:35 AM

This is how recent global warming ‘scientists’ have been conducting their research.
Why do your own original thinking or work when you don’t have to?

Badger40 on May 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM

The right is stupid. Don’t you know by now liberals can’t lie. They are the way and the light. Its the Christians that have it backwards.

Badger 40 has it right.Some moronic scientist made some idiotic remarks about global warming and all the others just plagerized him. Now its a movement with the Lemming King Gore leading the herd.

volsense on May 18, 2009 at 10:50 AM

when a conservative does it they made a mistake they were wrong. when a liberal does it- it was the circumstances. Hypocrisy yes but they believe that is a hypocrisy is a by product of doing the “right” thing. You know the truth is complicated depending on who’s truth your talking about.

Like your Pretzel Logic with salt? LOL!

Dr Evil on May 18, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Dowd is going to issue a correction and give him credit. However, she still hasn’t explained how this even happened.

AnninCA on May 18, 2009 at 11:12 AM

AnninCA on May 18, 2009 at 11:12 AM

In other news, water is wet(in one phase of matter).

daesleeper on May 18, 2009 at 11:39 AM

AnninCA on May 18, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Maybe she’ll come clean about all of her ghostwriters past?

EconomicNeocon on May 18, 2009 at 12:00 PM

It’s not plagiarism, it’s groupthink!

Blacklake on May 18, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Dowd was publicly criticized by the editors for sexism during the primaries. That was a big slap.

Now this.

I’d say her time is about up.

AnninCA on May 18, 2009 at 1:12 PM

This is not the MoDo I thought I knew.

BO

DrW on May 18, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Rehtorical Question of the Day!

do any liberals have princliples?

will sass u on May 17, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Does “Death to America.” count as a principle?

darktood on May 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Let’s cut her some slack now.

She was probably busy doing her daily worship of The One, and didn’t have time to write the article properly, so she snipped from, here, and snipped from there, to get it done, by her deadline.

*rolls eyes*

capejasmine on May 18, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I like how the only difference between the 2 is for her to make sure to replace ‘we’ with ‘the Bush crowd’…never to miss a chance at assigning blame to Bush…even when plagerizing.

Joek7132 on May 18, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Dowd following Biden. The blind leading the blind.

Christian Conservative on May 18, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Isn’t it the goal of the left that everybody think exactly alike? If so, what is the problem?

Elizabetty on May 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Soooo, doc, I ahve a “freind” who has this problem..

Alden Pyle on May 18, 2009 at 3:18 PM

867B means Pelosi was lied to by the CIA.
424E means Bush lied.
386A means Limbaugh is a fat blowhard.
176B means Obama inherited all this stuff.
554A means waterboarding is torture.
993X means global warming is man-made.
…….. it would just save us a lot of time. Even on HA.
JeffinOrlando

11 1 A 799 No problem found

11 1 A 801 Operator error

VIDSMAF Jeffin?

DSchoen on May 18, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Ok Yet another liberal plagiarist. How many is that now?

dogsoldier on May 18, 2009 at 3:49 PM

No big deal. I steal all my best quotes from iowahawk and provide no attribution unless he threatens violence.

GreenBlade on May 18, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I got it from a “friend,” says Dowd

Joe Bidens friends don’t fall far from the tree.

christene on May 18, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Wolfie on CNN is about to spin this story (5:30 Eastern time).

Del Dolemonte on May 18, 2009 at 5:29 PM

CNN’s Hack Cafferty: “She’s the best in the business”.

Wolfie: “This is embarassing”

Del Dolemonte on May 18, 2009 at 6:03 PM

That sly come hither stare
That strips my conscience bare
It’s a witchcraft

Ted Torgerson on May 18, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I wish another “Top Pick” would slide over and move this hideous Joker-faced freaks’ picture down so I don’t have to keep looking at it on the front page.

AUINSC on May 18, 2009 at 6:48 PM

They need to make a television show on this stuff. She may break Peloser’s record for telling five (5) successive lies in a row about the same subject. Dowd has just hit the two (2) in one (1)day. The internet will not let these buffoons get away with it. The MSM is so in the tank that it is obvious, its embarrassing.

volsense on May 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM

“Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from another you’ve been messing around.”–REO Speedwagon

jimmy2shoes on May 18, 2009 at 8:55 PM

“I got it from a friend” is even worse than “I’m just holding it for a friend”.

At least when it’s a bag of pot, posession is the main issue. Is Maureen saying it’s ok to plagiarize a friend?

hawksruleva on May 19, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Mark Liberman on Language Log (via Eugene Volokh) put up a great post about this yesterday. Lieberman observes:

As a college professor, I’ve heard many excuses for plagiarism over the years, but I don’t believe that I’ve ever heard one quite that lame.

Lieberman also chronicles MoDo’s assult of Joe Biden’s use of the “P” word when she was cutting her teeth.

EconomicNeocon on May 19, 2009 at 11:56 AM