Why don’t the Democrats dump Pelosi? Update: “If it was a crime, she was part of it”

posted at 5:44 pm on May 14, 2009 by Allahpundit

Not now, I mean — there’ll have to be some hard proof from the CIA first that she is indeed the pathetic liar the whole country suspects her of being — but assuming that proof is adduced, why not toss her overboard then? The right hates her, the left doesn’t really trust her, and there’s a perfectly capable back-up waiting in Steny Hoyer. From what I understand, Hoyer’s well liked in the House; look no further than the fact that the Democrats elected him majority leader over Murtha, Pelosi’s favored candidate. If they’re serious about passing epochal legislation this year like health care, don’t they want someone in charge who’s friendly with Republicans and can woo GOP votes to provide the Dems with a little political cover? To put it another way, what exactly has Pelosi accomplished lately for the left that Hoyer wouldn’t? One day she’s on TV dumping on the CIA, the next day she’s pushing for torture “truth commissions” that’ll blow up in Obama’s face. She’s more of a liability than an asset. Assuming she’s guilty of having endorsed waterboarding back in the day — which, according to Andy McCarthy, by the left’s own logic could amount to a criminal conspiracy — there’s the pretext for Obama and Reid to invite her to the White House for a “talk.” The question is, what if she refused to go when they asked her? What recourse would they have?

Anyway. The true beauty of this fiasco is that it’s only because the left is so absurdly, radically absolutist on this subject that Pelosi’s in any trouble at all. All she’d need from them in order to be free and clear of this mess is an acknowledgment that, yes, it’s perfectly understandable that her top priority in the year after 9/11 was protecting the country from another attack by any means necessary. She meant well but, in her zealousness, took a step that shouldn’t have been taken. If they said that, she could cop to having okayed waterboarding, issue the obligatory “I was blind but now I see” apology, and the uproar would be over. But progressives could never be that rational about this subject, so she’s left to twist in the wind and deny everything in order to flatter their sanctimony. Delightful.

Update: Via Greg Hengler, here’s Lindsey Graham channeling Andy McCarthy on FNC this afternoon. “If it was a crime, she was part of it.”

Comments

Jay12, are you saying we should just learn to live under socialism? Not even the Soviets could do that. They put up with it for 60+ years, but I don’t think Americans would be that passive.

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Sorry, in the case of the Soviet Union, that would be 100+ years. 60+ years for the Eurosocialists after WWII

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM

But then whats a liberal without media bias?

Ward Churchill? The Right reverends Jackson and Sharpton?

BobMbx on May 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Alaska.

kirkill on May 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM

The other possibility…the best bet would be a Texas/Alaska alliance with the states that go along with Texas and Alaska being their breadbasket….

eventually put a canal where the Rio Grande is.

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM

they didn’t get worker’s paradise until ’17 and arguably not full paradise until ’22……

YMMV

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM

The witch hunt caught a witch.

Congress has the exact same rules about the WMDs, they knew all and lied like they knew nothing.

tarpon on May 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 6:31 PM

We are being forced to live under socialism. Our young are being indoctrinated into it. Two of my three kids are lost to it. I was busy trying to make a living while the schools were propagandizing them. I have failed as much as anyone.

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 6:36 PM

saturday night live on pelosi:

ranchoforte on May 14, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I know a lot of folks here in Hot Air don’t like Lindsey Graham but I think he probably one of the most articulate and smart the Republicans have right now. No wonder the guy keeps gets re-elected.

terryannonline on May 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Proof?
Johan Klaus on May 14, 2009 at 6:24 PM
Complete sentences are helpful.

Constantine on May 14, 2009 at 6:27 PM

OK, Prove that Cheney is a war criminal. Just saying it does not make it so.

Johan Klaus on May 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 6:36 PM

are you or they dead?

look live, if you feel that way turn the red redder, fight for state’s rights and protect as much as you can….

trust me they don’t even teach rote mechanic math in most places since it “humiliates kids”…..

we MUST mold the kids into OUR children not Barney the Leninist Dinosaur’s….

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 6:40 PM

We could throw water on her. That would be fun even if she didn’t melt.

petunia on May 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM

That made me giggle. Thanks. I needed a giggle. :)

Branch Rickey on May 14, 2009 at 6:41 PM

terryannonline on May 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM

With friends like Gramnesty, who needs enemies? Even as he’s defending you he’s stabbing you in the groin.

TheBigOldDog on May 14, 2009 at 6:44 PM

She could even get the Catholic Church to excommunicate some of their bishops if she saw political advantage.
jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Cannot let this stand. NO she could not. She could not even get a photo from Benedict XVI and BXVI put out a statement saying she was WRONG. Bad example.

Branch Rickey on May 14, 2009 at 6:46 PM

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 6:36 PM

The only alternative is private schools. I did not fully realize the extent or the problem, until my oldest son started to school. I sent him and my grandson to a private school. A lot of sacrifice, but problem solved.

Johan Klaus on May 14, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Nancy Pelosi: the gift that no one wants but everyone gets.

Lourdes on May 14, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Sven, thanks – your numbers are better than mine. I was clocking from 1905.

> Two of my three kids are lost to it.

I would ask how old they are, Jay12, but if it’s too painful to answer, please disregard the question.

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM

we MUST mold the kids into OUR children not Barney the Leninist Dinosaur’s….

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Will we ever abandon these pipe dreams and face reality? What will it take?

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 6:48 PM

T O A S T

D2Boston on May 14, 2009 at 6:49 PM

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Branch Rickey on May 14, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I agree with you, Branch Rickey. The Church will bend in the perceptions of others only so far. When it comes to Pelosi and the Church, the only people tolerating her associations with the Church are those who sincerely want to save her soul (so they’re hanging in w/her drivelling).

But she’s been confronted by the Church (her local Bishop w/Vatican approval) and also by Pope Benedict as to her preposterous lies (Pope Benedict’s official statement issued the day after Pelosi “appeared” in Rome contradicts Nancy Pelosi’s preposterous distortions about what occured, as Pelosi stated in HER press release about it, so the Church is doing a good job actually exposing her deceitful nature and statements).

Lourdes on May 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM

And, what with Pelosi cryptically claiming to be “an ardent Catholic,” the Church has exposed why she is not a Catholic in relationship with the Church’s position on theology, despite her “feelings” she’s “ardent”.

Lourdes on May 14, 2009 at 6:51 PM

You guys didn’t read to the end of the article:

“The good news is that it’s not very hard to get these students on the right track once they’re exposed to even a modicum of information regarding the fundamental differences between capitalism, socialism and communism.”

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Will we ever abandon these pipe dreams and face reality? What will it take?

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 6:48 PM

last two weeks of school here have focused on Jeff Corwin, Granola Wacko theory, and recess…..

my son will have rote math taught to him this summer with the intensity I taught him to read the last two…

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM

They are now 39 and 36. They were taken before I realized what was going on.

The youngest, 29, is the only one who survived the liberal onslaught. I saved him.

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 6:52 PM

They are now 39 and 36. They were taken before I realized what was going on.

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 6:52 PM

the think of yourself as having two prodigals….

prepare to protect, defend, and grow your family’s wealth with the sane one….

always have a rally point and an egress plan.

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM

We’re veering OT, but I will add one thing regarding miseducation in the public schools: Around here in Los Angeles, there’s a booming business in what I would call “adjunct elementary education”: Kumon Math, Mathnasium, and several different tutoring companies. That implies that even rich liberal Westside parents are recognizing that their little darlings are not getting a real education in school, and they are willing to pay for extra instruction outside normal class hours. To me, that suggests an opportunity.

It’s only a relatively few dedicated parents who can and will make the sacrifice of sending their kids to private school or giving up one income to homeschool them, though those numbers are growing. The rest won’t be able to give up sending their kids to public school, even if it’s just to have someplace relatively safe to stash the kid for 8 hours or so while they’re at work.

So I see an opportunity here, particularly for anyone unemployed or underemployed who happens to read Hot Air: Become a tutor. Even an hour or two a week exposed to someone who can think logically might make a huge difference to a kid’s outlook on life.

[Disclaimer: I have no children, though I wish I did. :-( By the time my current job is up in September, I hope to be employed at least part-time with a tutoring company.]

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 7:02 PM

TheBigOldDog on May 14, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Give him a break. Along as he is on your side (and he sides with conservatives plenty of times), he fights tooth and nail. He is a smart cookie. I’m impressed with him.

terryannonline on May 14, 2009 at 7:04 PM

It’s like standing on the roof of the mall in Dawn of the Dead.

Jim Treacher on May 14, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Jay12, how about grandkids? Some humorist said that grandchildren and grandparents are natural allies against a common enemy. ;-)

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 7:05 PM

It’s like standing on the roof of the mall in Dawn of the Dead.

Sorry, Mr. Treacher — what is? (Never saw the movie…)

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 7:05 PM

While their parents toil away to pay their huge liberal tax bills, I’ll be retired and spending lots of time with them.

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Pelosi lies. A lot.

therightwinger on May 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM

so our choice is push back against the formation of a ‘truth commission’ (which is just a bit too Huxley for my ear) or allow a couple of bush administation officials to be publicly defrocked while taking Pelosi down the tubes with them.

hmmmm….

DrW on May 14, 2009 at 7:26 PM

They are now 39 and 36. They were taken before I realized what was going on.

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I saved neither of my 2 boys, 34 and 30. Both were brought up with strong conservative values. I guess I lost them when they went to college.

Mothers Day was real eye opener when they kept telling me “you watch too much Fox Mom, all they do is lie”

I don’t know how to get them back.

Signed
Helpless in Chicago

Knucklehead on May 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Knucklehead on May 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Remind them “fox said you’d see higher taxes kids” in about fourteen months….

“change*”

*what is left in your house when he is done

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 7:32 PM

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Well, then it’ll work out all right in the end. Every kid knows that grandparents are way cooler than parents. :-)

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Thanks, but I keep telling them that but it’s like talking to a brick wall. My youngest is a pilot for a major carrier and the Precedent even took his weapon away in the Flight Deck program…….and he still doesn’t get it.

And believe it or not, this is really bothering me to the point where I’m asking myself “what did I do wrong”?

I guess they’re going to have to learn the hard way…..when the taxes hit, inflation sky rockets and they find out their inheritance has been eaten away by everything.

Knucklehead on May 14, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Got grandkids, Knucklehead?

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM

The question is, what if she refused to go when they asked her?

For the good of the country? You have to be kidding. The only thing Nancy is interested in IS RAW POWER. And she’s not giving it up any time soon. You’ll have to pull that gavel from her cold dead hand.

GarandFan on May 14, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Knucklehead on May 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Heartbreaking. What happened is not your fault.

Believe that they may come around, but it’s not your job to make that happen. You have done your job. Peace.

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Got grandkids, Knucklehead?

Mary in LA on May 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Nope. They’re not married either. Their parents marriage was ugly and neither want to go down that road. They’ve decided it’s more fun to be world travelers and free spirits like their mom.

Knucklehead on May 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Waterboarding has been known to be torture for the entire time of its existence. It has been prosecuted as torture in US courts.

orange on May 14, 2009 at 5:52 PM

orange,

Your statement is very direct and definitive.

A number of posters have ask you to provide proof. Unless I missed it you have failed to respond.

Would you please provide the proper case history and specific law that you have used to construct this statement.

If you find yourself unable to provide the above requested information then please explain why. If such information does not exist then your credibility, such as it is, has been destroyed and your statement can be cut-and-pasted as a response to any further posts you might make so as to prove that no one should consider your claims as valid.

If, on the other hand, you are able to provide the requisite proof then many of us would find it interesting reading.

Yoop on May 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM

OK, Prove that Cheney is a war criminal. Just saying it does not make it so.
Johan Klaus on May 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM

If authorizing torture is a crime, then Cheney is a war criminal. He’s publicly made it clear he’s got a hard-on for torture (even though he won’t call it what it is).

Constantine on May 14, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Yoop on May 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Waterboarding Used To Be A Crime

“Leading members of Japan’s military and government elite were charged, among their many other crimes, with torturing Allied military personnel and civilians. The principal proof upon which their torture convictions were based was conduct that we would now call waterboarding.”

Constantine on May 14, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Constantine on May 14, 2009 at 8:08 PM

absolute lie….

the Japanese waterboarding was NOTHING like our use of it.

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Next up, Constantine will prove that when you order a Kamikaze in a bar, you’re responsible for the deaths of American troops in WWII.

Jim Treacher on May 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Jim Treacher on May 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Well, have more than 4 and it’s good bet you’ll think you are.

Constantine on May 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Jim Treacher on May 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM

FTW

Constantine is a haji youtube jihadi. the lesser jihad. He already lost the greater jihad.

daesleeper on May 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Constantine on May 14, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Do some homework and then come back and try again.

That was a really pathetic attempt to cover for orange.

Your offering does not address his claims.

Yoop on May 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM

terryannonline on May 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I couldn’t agree more Terryann. I think he’s one of the most likable senators in the Senate. He’s very refreshing. We need more like him in both parties.

NathanG on May 14, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Do some homework and then come back and try again.
That was a really pathetic attempt to cover for orange.
Your offering does not address his claims.
Yoop on May 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM

You asked for proof. The article directly addresses your assertion that no such prosecutions ever happened. Clearly, they did.

Constantine on May 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Constantine on May 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM

we are in the habit of distending Muslim bellies with gallongs of water and kicking them in the gut until their abdomen ruptures and then operate on them sans anesthesia to “keep the doc’s skills sharp”???

“yeah”

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 9:27 PM

They are now 39 and 36. They were taken before I realized what was going on.

jay12 on May 14, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Is this post supposed to be funny because I find it hilarious.

Nonfactor on May 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Is this post supposed to be funny because I find it hilarious.

Nonfactor on May 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM

the crowd that felt being taught US history was “inflicting values” has a 16 year indoctrination lab for college bound kids….

“change”

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 9:47 PM

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 9:47 PM

That people like you think children aren’t capable of independent thought (and that teachers are hellbent on indoctrinating kids political views) makes these posts that much more comedic.

Nonfactor on May 14, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Nonfactor on May 14, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I think that you’d have a hard time having my values rammed down your kids’ throat 105,840 hours of their youth….

sooner or later the weaker minded cave into the brainwashing.

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Do some homework and then come back and try again.
That was a really pathetic attempt to cover for orange.
Your offering does not address his claims.
Yoop on May 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Constantine on May 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM

First point: you clearly have a reading comprehension problem. Please show me where I made any such assertion. I specifically asked orange for proof of HIS assertion.

Second point: You did not do the research that was suggested, did you? The torture that you are alluding to was NOT THE SAME as the presently described and discussed waterboarding. That particular canard from the liberals has been repeatedly debunked.

Third point: These types of discussions are way above your pay grade. Don’t give up your day job.

Yoop on May 14, 2009 at 10:08 PM

But progressives could never be that rational about this subject,

It’s like Kyle says in the Terminator, “they can’t be reasoned with, they can’t be bargained with, they don’t feel pain, or pity and they absolutely will NOT STOP until you are DEAD!”

That is what modern liberals/progressives are ALL about these days…they/she created their own mess, they can stew in it!

JAM on May 14, 2009 at 10:09 PM

We need a different voice in the senate than grahmnesty. The sight of that RINO is disturbing.

csdeven on May 15, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Graham is too weak.

Pelosi needs to pay for her actions.

She, Harry Reid and countless other Democrats willingly stabbed our country, troops, and President in the back during a time of war. I could forgive that on domestic issues, but they stood with the country when we went to war – then they turned on it the first chance they got.

They intentionally leaked sensitive information, documents, and photos regarding the war thru their various channels in the media, CIA, and elsewhere.

This ‘let’s look forward’ s#!t when the Democrats would never do the same is sickening.

Why do Republicans have their careers ruined because they sent a strange e-mail that mentioned underwear to a page or took a wide stance in a public restroom?

Why should Pelosi be allowed to willingly lie and smear our country, troops, and President during a time of war with false statements and accusations and not have to pay for it?

She needs to fess up and admit what we all know. She knew, and didn’t object (and neither would 80+% of the rest of the country before it was turned into a political hot button). Then she used the issue for political purposes and she needs to apologize for that.

BTW – I noticed Congress just approved almost $100 B in war funding – and not a single threat to withhold the funding.

Gee… you mean they used the war itself for political purposes and put our troops and country in danger?

Democrats need to be held accountable for their actions during Bush’s Presidency. Pelosi would be a start.

I could care less if their strategy worked – they sold out the country during a war and we should not let them forget about it.

Mr Purple on May 15, 2009 at 4:15 AM

I also find it amusing that it was Jane Harmann who wrote the letter expressing concern, yet when Pelosi became Speaker she tried to bull rush impeached judge Alcee Hastings into the Intel Chair over Harmann.

You would think that by writing that letter Pelosi and Harmann might have had a Sisterhood of the Waterboarding Letter thing going on.

Pelosi and Harmann aren’t exactly gal-pals, apparently. That could be part of the reason she didn’t sign Harmann’s letter.

Mr Purple on May 15, 2009 at 4:32 AM

Right now, after viewing clips, reading, listening, I can only come to one conclusion for myself, that makes any sense.

Ms.Pelosi is riding the high Obama enjoys right now. Obama can say, and do, whatever he feels at the moment, and get away with it, without having to hold any responsibility for it. Like the photo op debacle. A man resigned his position for it, but no one else was held accountable? No one else knew about it? No one else had to help authorize it? Give me a small break. This man went down alone, while others complicit in it, stay, to relish the Obama glow.

Ms.Pelosi, being part of the statist crowd, feels she holds the same power, and has the same protective shield, that Obama enjoys. I think at this point, she’s confused, as to why the press came at her the way they did, and she’s confused as to why she’s not being given the same courtesy, respect, and protection, Obama gets.

capejasmine on May 15, 2009 at 10:34 AM