Video: Stewart skewers Pelosi on waterboarding

posted at 12:55 pm on May 13, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’d give Jon Stewart credit for going after Nancy Pelosi, except that she made herself such an easy target over the last couple of weeks. Still, even with that said, Stewart does a great job of ridiculing Pelosi’s insistence that she was never told about waterboarding, and that if she was told it was only in a hypothetical sense, and if it wasn’t strictly hypothetical it wasn’t her place to object because they didn’t seek her approval, because as everyone knows, the CIA outranks Congress, or something like that (via the Weekly Standard):

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart M – Th 11p / 10c
Waffle House
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Economic Crisis Political Humor

The money quote: “It’s good to know that Nancy Pelosi took torture as seriously as a ‘Don’t Cancel “Chuck” petition’.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I thought that’s what Rush Limbaugh is, when he’s not being the satanic mastermind of the Republican party.

ddrintn on May 13, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Once again, define satanic? I think supporting the killing of unborn babies is satanic. I think throwing them in laundry bins to die, when they struggle to live, is satanic. How do you define, satanic?

capejasmine on May 13, 2009 at 3:35 PM

It is fairly entertaining to see Nancy Pelosi squirm…….

………. if it wasn’t so pathetically tragic.

Seven Percent Solution on May 13, 2009 at 3:44 PM

You’re the one that brough it up, I guess to demonstrate that Stewart is bi-partisan in his routines. How about ragging on the Miss USA scandal without first wetting his finger to see which way the wind is blowing?

I never once said he was bi-partisan, I just pointed out two additional segments on his show last night (one that poked fun at the media, the other, a school that didn’t grant Obama an Honourary Degree).

That said, I think his show is funny.

YYZ on May 13, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Barack Obama, neocon in chief?

All I can say is amazing!

Mr. Joe on May 13, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Agreed as to why Stewart probably retracted the Truman comments. My only thought was he at least did retract them, and not that he instantly becomes a hero, or that I have ever or will ever watch him, BUT MONKEY, I at least did not want it to go on that he had not made the effort to retract the statement. Whatever his reasons were for doing so.

Part of what makes us honorable or principled is making sure truth is told, or correcting the record. Even when it involves someone we do not care for. That was my only reason for interjecting what I saw on BOR. Just wanted to be clear I was not attacking or suggesting anything other than what I saw.

freeus on May 13, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Jon Stewart is to comedy what Leni Riefenstahl was to film making.

Then – “Oh, I’m just a film maker! ‘Triumph of the Will’ is just a documentary about a big ole party we had in Nuremberg!”

Now – “Hey, I’m just a comedian! Get off my case, Rethuglican scum! I’m not partisan, you liars.”

Django on May 13, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Who’s Chuck?

Tuning Spork on May 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM

The Definitive answer on waterboarding;

UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY JUSTICE
Subchapter 10:
Section 924, Article 124;
Any person subject to this chapter who, with intent to injure, disfigure, or disable, inflicts upon the person of another an injury which–

(1) seriously disfigures his person by a mutilation thereof;

(2) destroys or disables any member or organ of his body; or

(3) seriously diminishes his physical vigor by the injury of any member or organ;

is guilty of maiming and shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

Waterboarding was not and is STILL not illegal under the UCMJ.

nelsonknows on May 13, 2009 at 4:29 PM

BS. Stewart’s not dumping on a Dem without clearance from above telling him they’re ready to go under the bus. Pelosi’s finished.

ddrintn on May 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM

You figured it out. The talking points have been sent to all outlets Pelosi must be destroyed.

faol on May 13, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Madame Speaker’s days are numbered, if only because of 2010.

itzWicks on May 13, 2009 at 7:39 PM

When the left gets caught with their pants down, they just make things worse.

Not that I want to see Pelosi with her pants down.

(I think I just threw up a little)

madmonkphotog on May 13, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I don’t care what this clown says…even if I agree with him. Because he’s an obnoxious Libtard.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 13, 2009 at 10:58 PM

To recap:

Stewart jokes at the expense of Bush: 3,299,643

Stewart jokes at the expense of Obama: 2

Stewart jokes at the expense of Pelos: 1

Indeed, very bipartisan.

angryed on May 13, 2009 at 11:47 PM

I’m a conservative. Very funny stuff! I’ll take what I can get from Stewart and this was very good!

sabbott on May 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM

You don’t watch the show so you don’t have a clue, yet you act like you do.

Dave Rywall on May 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Now we know where you actually get your news and opinions. From Comedy Central!

Well, no wonder you are confused.

Subsunk