Matthews to viewers: “Don’t laugh” but Sarah Palin’s writing a book

posted at 7:42 pm on May 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

Yes, contain your mirth at the thought of a nationally famous politician, who by the way was on a presidential ticket last year, putting out a book about the experience. This makes twice now that Matthews has all but accused Palin of being illiterate, underscored here by how aghast he is at the thought that she’d work with a “collaborator.” Is Mr. Hardball really so naive as to think that the Clintons, say, write all their own material? Not only are the names of some of their ghostwriters publicly known, but Hillary has a reputation among them for being notoriously hard to work with, going so far as to deny credit to a “co-author” on “It Takes a Village.” Matthews surely can’t be so dim as not to know that, which means his astonishment here is little more than theatrics meant to remind Hardball’s three viewers that Palin, supposedly, is a moron.

First clip comes from Politico, second from MSNBC’s site. Neither one of them, unfortunately, captures the part where Matthews called the book an “embarrassment.” Good lord.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Don’t laugh folks…..both of you. Chris Matthews is the only host on tv that can address all his viewers individually by name.

Rocks on May 13, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Jack and Squat?

ThePrez on May 13, 2009 at 8:53 PM

If a Fat Man talks on a TV show and no one is there to watch, did he really say anything in the first place?

Bicyea on May 13, 2009 at 8:54 PM

ah I see someone else grasp’s she is like the Andromeda Strain and nukes would just feed her replication….good catch

sven10077 on May 13, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Nah. She at least makes an attempt at rational discussion and doesn’t treat conservative/Republican guests like they have the plague. Can’t say the same for Olby & Matthews.

SnarkVader on May 13, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Btw – this seems to fall under Alinsky’s rules of using ridicule as a potent weapon. “If we mock Palin over and over telling people she can’t read or write, no one will take her seriously.”

MSNBC and Chris Matthews will have accomplished their mission: Operation Seek and Destroy Sarah Palin so She Can’t Challenge Obama in 2012.

sarahpalinfan99 on May 13, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Chrissy’s writing a book? That’s good. Since MSNBC reportedly has recently cut his compensation by $3 million, I’m sure he could use the extra $20 or so he’s likely to make from it.

AZCoyote on May 13, 2009 at 8:42 PM

It will be a breeze for him. The last time he visited obama, jugears looked down at him and said “Hey, I can fix you up with a great ghostwriter.. The guy is a blast. Guaranteed no bombs with your books. If anyone asks about the merchant marine references or similarities to his book I’ll have the IRS audit them. He’s a distinguished college professor to boot.. OK, I’m done now, you can go…”

bullseye on May 13, 2009 at 8:57 PM

MSNLSD=circle jerk for the effete corps of impudent snobs

moxie_neanderthal on May 13, 2009 at 8:58 PM

sarahpalinfan99 on May 13, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Unfortunately it may be working. I was at a republican club fundraiser this past week. We were sitting with an elected republican state rep. I said something about obama and she was giving it the “he seems to be doing pretty good” line of crap. I said something about Sarah Palin and the response was “Well, she wasn’t really qualified.. they should have run someone better”.. THIS IS FROM A FREAKING ELECTED REPUBLICAN STATE REP…..

My reply of “She was more qualified than the other three candidates.. Governor, business woman, the pipeline deal etc.” That was met by a blank stare.

THE POD PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE… we need to all get involved in the local GOP, seek out these morons and get them replaced.. Perhaps they would be happier with the donkeys.

bullseye on May 13, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Matthews surely can’t be so dim….

Want to bet on that? The guy specializes in presidential blow jobs under the guise of ‘reporting’.

GarandFan on May 13, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Say what you will about McCain, but he must one of the only pols who gives his writer credit on the cover, and shares royalties 50-50.

Matthews is unprofessional. And that’s the best I can say about him.

juliesa on May 13, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Matthews has been spiraling into infantile idiocy since his tingle admission.

No click for this dick.

profitsbeard on May 13, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Hitler had only one ball
His mother cut the other one off when he was not very tall
Perez Hilton has two but they are very small
And Chris Matthews has none at all

MB4 on May 13, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Why would anyone who wasn’t laughing hysterically at inappropriate moments, waste their time on this earth listening to what a insipid cretin like Chris Matthews, has to say?

Tip O’Neill’s former butt boy would be the biggest idiot on TV, if Olbey wasn’t still drawing breath.

NoDonkey on May 13, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I agree with sarahpalinfan99 - this is all about ridicule. If you look at the trolls that visit this site that is the main strategy that they employ. It is hard to combat if you don’t recognize it.

radiofreevillage is probably the most proficient that I’ve seen here though nice343 and a couple of others are improving. These professional agitators (paid or unpaid) invariably take a snippet of something and offer a scornful remark or ask a loaded question. It’s a good strategy really because we invariably try to engage them. I have been harping on this all night so forgive me.

The problem in dealing with the ridicule strategy is that it puts people on the defensive automatically. The only tactic that seems to work in diffusing it here is to ignore the poster. That is hard when you or your ideals are being maligned but I think it is the wisest solution.

The problem for Palin is that ignoring her detractors means that she is defined by her political adversaries disguised as impartial media. I fear that as long as the press functions as agitprop for the democrat party that we will be unlikely to get a conservative that has broad national appeal. The media will constantly and predictably paint the person as a reactionary, fascistic, bigoted, dimwitted war monger.

Consider the amazingly stupid things Obama has said and done both up to and since the election. A conservative that would have made 5% of those mistakes would have Dan Quayle’s undeserved reputation by now. As always I am interested in hearing contrasting viewpoints.

Mormon Doc on May 13, 2009 at 9:25 PM

MD you fight ‘em like I do pretend to acknowledge their slam as somewhat valid and go for their frickin’ throat…

FreeVillageIdiot is just getaclue without even pretending to read….

sven10077 on May 13, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Matthews is so jealous…He can’t touch her. She’s out of his league.The libs don’t want Palin to have money. That really scares them. I hope she makes millions and head to Nieman’s and Saks and waves on her way in.

djn on May 13, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Mormon Doc on May 13, 2009 at 8:37 PM

fwiw, the evidence. If nothing else, it’s an interesting read. Landlubber Obama’s use of nautical metaphors is memorable.

Buy Danish on May 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Pass on the vid, the talking stool makes me wanna puke.

christene on May 13, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Matthews to viewers: “Don’t laugh” but Sarah Palin’s writing a book

Now “Don’t laugh” folks, but Crissy is standing in his own puddle of pee. Jeez!

byteshredder on May 13, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Palin has more accomplishments to write of this month than BHO had to write of in either of his two, count’em, two autobiographies.

jgapinoy on May 13, 2009 at 9:41 PM

why the heck do we even care what he says. he obviously is a hack that gets his talking points from sullivan

deidre on May 13, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Chrissy could fill a book by writing poems & love letters to the Object of his affection.

jgapinoy on May 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Matthews looks a little like a crazed Brother Theodore.

Christina_M on May 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Let’s face it folks–Sarah Palin has magnificently bluffed her way through life.

First her school teacher father and the Alaskan grade school system neglected to teach Sarah to read above the level of Dick and Jane or write her name. Sarah should sue them for millions.

Then the universities that passed Sarah should have their licenses revoked for dereliction of duty and passing or graduating someone not worthy and not capable of writing a grammatically correct sentence.

Next the Alaskan voters who elected Sarah Palin should all have their heads examined for casting their votes for a total moron.

And finally the Alaskan legislature should impeach Sarah Palin for being an impostor and misleading the legislature and lying about ‘reading’ the stimulus bill or signing or vetoing legislation she was not qualified to absorb.

On behalf of all Americans Chris thank you for exposing Sarah Palin for the fraud that she is.

Just think if America elected an illiterate as POTUS in 2012 over an intellectual Messiah, the country would be the laughingstock of the world; and America would soon be on the road to ruin and no return, more than it is now.

technopeasant on May 13, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Mormon Doc on May 13, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I wouldn’t get too discouraged about that sort of thing. If Palin ever chooses to run, she can do so on her own terms. It’s easy to ridicule her while she’s just pretty much minding her own business. But I really do suspect that a lot of people are recognizing the MSM’s overkill, which may partly account for their plummeting ratings and readership.

ddrintn on May 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Couldn’t watch the whole 7+ mins of ol’ whatshisname, but my Amazon account will be loading up with Sarah Palin books. God bless her.

kellyjane on May 13, 2009 at 9:45 PM

I don’t get this. I come to Hot Air because it is a conservative site . I don’t watch any news program not on Fox for the same reason. I don’t watch liberal media because it is so hateful and disrespectful and a la Alinsky they constatntly ridicule the right and conservatives. Allah why do you bring thier garbage here? This isn’t thought provoking or intelligent discourse , we don’t learn anything form the hate they spew especially against Palin. If we wanted to see or hear from Matthews and Olberman we’d watch MSNBC…there is a reason a lot of us don’t… It’s getting to be that there are fewer and fewer Allah threads I can click on…

CCRWM on May 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM

He admires Jimmy Carter … that’s a person will ever need to know about Chris Mathews. Given his treatment of Hillary, it’s pretty obvious that Chris has issues with women. I think he needs some couch time to work out his mommy issues.

Stickeehands on May 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I’m just going to smile at the thought of all the swirlies this douche must have been on the receiving end in high school.

Hawkins1701 on May 13, 2009 at 9:51 PM

technopeasant on May 13, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I have never seen any of Sarah Palin’s college writing, nor have I ever seen any of Barack Obama’s, so I have no basis upon which to make a comparison.

However, a colleague of mine has seen some of Michelle Obama’s and I must tell you that my colleague almost split a gut laughing.

semloh on May 13, 2009 at 9:55 PM

CCRWM on May 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I look at this stuff like the scene from Patton… “Rommel, you magnificent B*st&rd, I read your book”…. To be honest, I almost never watch the clips of idiots like pissy chrissy unless I happen to need an emetic

Anyway, I can get to jump in and ridicule matthews and his jugeared jackass messiah.

Also, I don’t watch msnbc at all. Seeing items like this help explain things that I see like my earlier reference to sitting with a republican state rep who was extolling the virtues of obama and simultaneously trashing Gov Palin.

That gave me a huge WTF moment… Mainly because I would rather be battling swine flu than watching msnbc. However, seeing crud like this helps me realize what happened. The idiot rep must get all of her ‘news’ from the lamestream media and has been turned into a Pod Person.

The other thing is I look at this a bit like sparring. If I’m out and someone springs a “Hey, dopey sarah palin is trying to write a book.. yuk yuk yuk”.. I will have at least had a little prep beforehand and can retort more easily.

bullseye on May 13, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Buy Danish on May 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM

One of the courses I teach is technical writing so I have to do a fair amount of analysis and can get a feel for the writing style of a student. It looks like Cashill does that as well. It is not hard evidence but it can be done correctly by an expert.

Mormon Doc on May 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM

semloh on May 13, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Really? Is the writing bad or the conclusions and logic tortured?

Mormon Doc on May 13, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I’m not one to employ the misogyny label very often, but if this kind of stuff from Matthews isn’t, at least in part, misogynistic, I don’t know what is. The undeserved hatred she has gotten from the left goes beyond simple partisan politics.

And I’m not even a fan of Sarah Palin. In fact, I’d consider myself a critic more than anything else. But it’s clear to me that, for all of her flaws, she’s not a moron. Not even close. Nancy Pelosi is far dumber than Sarah Palin will ever be.

2Brave2Bscared on May 13, 2009 at 10:02 PM

bullseye on May 13, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Well I’ve been reading someof the comments and our people are much smarter and wittier thatn Matthews… any one could do a better show than he apparently has…

CCRWM on May 13, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Is the writing bad or the conclusions and logic tortured?

Mormon Doc on May 13, 2009 at 10:01 PM

semloh on May 13, 2009 at 10:07 PM

2Brave2Bscared on May 13, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Believe it or not but there will be idiots who read my above post and believe every word of it regarding the illiteracy of Sarah Palin.

Common sense tells you nobody could advance to become a governor of any American state without having a lot on the ball and that includes Democrats as well.

So for Chris Matthews to attempt to perpetuate such a canard on the American people may be considered outrageous humor for some but for others the reason the MSNBC and CNN continue to lose viewers: they continue to treat the viewing audience as children and view them as idiots extraordinaire and total drones.

technopeasant on May 13, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Matthews to viewers: “Don’t laugh” but Sarah Palin’s writing a book

Oldleprechaun to H/A readers: Don’t laugh, but Chris Matthews says he’s going to stop masturbating every time he sees B. Hussein Obama.

oldleprechaun on May 13, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Morons like Matthews really think Hillary and Obama wrote their books, so its obvious hes not living in reality. Nice to see he has abandoned all sense of fairness by not even having Republicans on.

Speedwagon82 on May 13, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I might buy a copy just to help with the sales numbers.

Otherwise, I have no interest in reading anything a politician writes no matter how much I support them.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM

My question is why are advertisers even bothering to waste their money running commercials on PMSNBC?

They must be losing a ton, because no one except for the production crew in the studio is really watching the station anymore!

pilamaye on May 13, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Hey don’t laugh, but Chris Matthews gets tingles up his leg, and has a thing for powerful men. ;)

capejasmine on May 13, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Chubby guy with the tingles up and down his leg? He is so funny! He needs to have some of the fat suctioned out of his a##. Poor guy, needs to work out and eat less. Oh, and have you noticed his hair? It’s looking more and more like Trump hair!

(I’m taking a page from Saul Alinsky, the Marxist that the Uberleft has as their religion’s Pope…ridicule is in folks, let’s use it). Let’s show the other side we can be civil, decent, respectful and still ridicule them…they are easy targets…why, just look at Garofalo…maybe not!!

sharinlite on May 13, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Don’t laugh folks… Chris Matthews thinks he’s funny.

Oh, I guess I didn’t have to tell you not to laugh.

Daggett on May 13, 2009 at 11:39 PM

MSNBC is a cesspool of liberal hacks. Yuck.

capitalist piglet on May 13, 2009 at 11:51 PM

The Republican Party is so far in the woods that Rush Limbaugh is the titular head. And Colin Powell, who actually galvanizes independents and Republicans is being kicked out in a very ugly fashion.

This ignorance is what is so painful about media coverage. This reporter apparently doesn’t know what “titular” means, and somehow thinks that Colin Powell was “kicked out” of the Republican Party. Anyone paying attention knows that Colin Powell abandoned his party by endorsing the presidential candidate of the opposite party, apparently just so he could vote for a black man.

But somehow Colin Powell is “kicked out,” and “in a very ugly fashion.”

There’s more, but no one should be subjected to too much MSNBC in a given month.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on May 14, 2009 at 12:23 AM

I happened to let the channel stay on Chrissy for a minute this evening–it had been so long, I thought I could stand it. Wrong. I don’t know who would listen, and I find myself wondering what idiot would repeatedly sign paychecks for the insipid cretin?

NellE on May 14, 2009 at 12:47 AM

The MSM has a right to belittle Palin’s attempt to write a book. She said this is a good chance to put her degree in journalism to good use and the MSM knows people with journalism degrees are blithering idiots.

AaronGuzman on May 14, 2009 at 1:29 AM

You have to admit that sarah palin writing a book is as funny as… well, as bristol palin extolling the virtues of abstinence!

benny shakar on May 14, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Benny….I think Bristol has a real story about this, which is obvious from how it really turned out.

That’s reality for teens.

AnninCA on May 14, 2009 at 1:51 AM

benny shakar on May 14, 2009 at 1:45 AM

That second part is about as stupid as saying a recovering alcoholic cannot encourage people not to do what he did.

TTheoLogan on May 14, 2009 at 1:54 AM

Chris Matthews has become a sad caricature of himself. When pretty boys get old, then it’s achingly obvious how shallow some of them were all along. He’s nothing more than a leftwing wonk gone sadly to seed.

Moreover, his snobbish sexism is showing on Palin. She’s twice the man he is–and that’s without giving up any of her womanly charms.

RandyChandler on May 14, 2009 at 7:21 AM

You have to admit that Dickie Shaker attempting to write an intelligent post is as funny as… well, as Nasty Pelosi telling the truth!

GrayLoess on May 14, 2009 at 7:48 AM

benny shakar on May 14, 2009 at 1:45 AM

HA HA HA … you are SO funny and SO intelligent.. Oooh that was the most intelligent comment in this whole thread.. Yesirree. I’ll bet you must have even gotten past second grade with intelligence like yours.

Yeah bennie.. I’d love to be there when someone makes a joke about the obama kids in front of you…

You know bennie… Every time I see your posts I picture a non athletic type wearing one of those little beanies with a propellor on top

Well at least Sarah Palin is writing her own book. Not having it ghost written by some fat stupid looking 60′s terrorist like a certain jug eared jackass we know and love. . .. Oh, and as far as your other hero Missy Matthews… Sarah Palin could easily step into his job.. he’s just a teleprompter reading journalist. If Missy tried to take over the governorship of Alaska, they’d be feeding his pasty carcass to the polar bears.

bullseye on May 14, 2009 at 8:51 AM

they’d be feeding his pasty carcass to the polar bears.

Now if THAT’S on pay-per-view, I’ll watch!

oldleprechaun on May 14, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I would wager a hefty amount that Sarah Palin’s IQ is sigfnicantly higher than Chris Matthew’s. I suspect she is better at writing a simple, cogent declarative sentence as well. I know that in Palin’s book you will not find this sentence;”When John McCain asked me to be his running mate a thrill ran up my leg.”

GreenBlade on May 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM