Democrats surprised to discover CIA plays politics with intelligence

posted at 9:01 pm on May 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

The innocence is heartbreaking, isn’t it?

On behalf of Bush voters everywhere, let me welcome the reality-based community to reality.

“I think there is so much embarrassment in some quarters [of the CIA] that people are going to try to shift some of the responsibility to others — that’s what I think,” said Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), who sat on the Senate Intelligence Committee and was briefed on interrogation techniques five times between 2006 and 2007.

Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin, the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate, said he finds it “interesting” that a document detailing congressional briefings was released just as “some of the groups that have been responsible for these interrogation techniques were taking the most criticism.”

Asked whether the CIA was seeking political cover by releasing the documents, Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said: “Sure it is.”…

A top congressional official who has participated in the briefings added: “I think the agency wanted to get this out, quite frankly.”

It’s unclear at the moment whether Pelosi first learned of waterboarding in September 2002, as the CIA claimed, or in early 2003 when her intelligence aide, who’d attended a briefing on her behalf, told her about it, but what’s evidently not in dispute is that she could have done — yet didn’t do — much more to make her alleged objections to the practice known.

Over the past week, a half-dozen senior Republican and Democratic aides canvassed by POLITICO have outlined a menu of options Pelosi could have pursued to protest harsh interrogations.

All agreed she could have written a classified letter to the CIA — as Rep. Jane Harman, her successor on the intelligence committee, did after she was briefed on the technique in February 2003.

Pelosi, they said, also could have pressured President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney directly by requesting a meeting with them, or by buttonholing them during previously scheduled meetings, or by writing a letter to them.

A sterling question from ABC: If Pelosi’s telling the truth when she claims that the CIA didn’t inform her about Abu Zubaydah’s waterboarding in September 2002, why isn’t she raising holy hell about it? That’s a serious omission on their part vis-a-vis a member of the House intel committee, and one that’s causing her no small amount of grief right now as Speaker. And yet, per her spokesman, she “is making no accusation against the CIA.” Why so shy, Nan? Get angry!

Comments

Come on I was just bored and havin fun and you had to go and rain on my parade. Oh well it rained on my Tea Party too but I showed up anyway.

dhunter on May 13, 2009 at 10:47 PM

hey we’re all on the same team….PR wasn’t a slam the more cloudy the level of precision in perception of Langley’s power the better it often is for them….

those snooping functions you alluded to are down the road a ways.

sven10077 on May 13, 2009 at 10:49 PM

coldwarrior on May 13, 2009 at 10:49 PM

That’s good to know. Regardless of his several attempts to drive me crazy I have always thought Pres. Bush was a decent man, I didn’t like thinking he had been underhanded with Mr. Goss. I guess he should have remain Congressman Goss.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM

“Espionage is not a nice thing, nor are the methods employed exemplary. Neither are demolition bombs nor poison gas…. We face an enemy who believes one of his chief weapons is that none but he will employ terror. But we will turn terror against him….”//Lt. Gen William Donovan

sven10077 on May 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM

After leaving the Clinton administration he and his wife went home to Monterey, set up a public policy institute over at the former Fort Ord, and he had a very good rep among the many foreign policy and other institutions around Monterey. He is no dummy. Did some good work on the Baker Commission, as well. Of all the folks in the present administration, Panetta is the only one I’d invite to my home for dinner and some good wine.

coldwarrior on May 13, 2009 at 10:32 PM

The Panetta Institute for Public Policy sounds like a commie umbrella organization. /half joking

baldilocks on May 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Goss forgot a lot, I think some of what he wanted may have been good but his delivery was just about as accurate as the newsies research on Ogabe’s past was….

sven10077 on May 13, 2009 at 11:01 PM

sven10077 on May 13, 2009 at 10:48 PM

One of my favorite mentors in my days at the Agency was an old China hand, a member of Detachment 101, hand picked by Donovan. He knew my dad out on Quemoy and Matsu back in the 50’s. Wonderful old man…and was one of the very few in the intel business who had actually spoken with Mao, in Chinese…long long before Nixon went to China.

Old age and such take away a lot of the old guys (I’m an old guy, anymore, myself) but if you look at the Turner firings, and then the Deutch fiasco (when I left) you will find enormous gaps between generations at CIA…and a lot of missing knowledge that if not in a 201 file on on some analysts computer, does not exist. The rapid promotion of inexperienced officers took a toll as well. Takes a about six years to get an officer up to speed in a very unforgiving environment. Can’t rush it. Mistakes are made…lives lost.

As older officers leave today, and quite a few junior officers as well, we are losing ability and capabilities.

Face it, at GS-11 pay (what the average new ops officer gets after completion of two years of training) it isn’t all that much in DC to be living on the razor’s edge and not being able to network the DC Beltway system as your classmates can do with ease and at a lot higher rate of pay.

I left as a GS-14. My neighbors who were responsible for a lot less and had a lot fewer hassles were making twice if not more than I was in the private sector while I was a mere government employee. Wasn’t in it for the money, was in it for that bit of a thrill when you get to do things and go places most will never see, and successfully.

We came close to the Donovan days under Casey…heady times. And had a White House who appreciated what we did and made no bones about it, either.

coldwarrior on May 13, 2009 at 11:01 PM

sven10077 on May 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Thank you. I’ll be busy but I will miss my time on HA.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2009 at 11:01 PM

coldwarrior on May 13, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Hats off.

The only people who should feel constant terror are those of our enemies who would wield it.

Our nation has been doomed since the mid 70s on that front…

I just didn’t accept it.

sven10077 on May 13, 2009 at 11:03 PM

baldilocks on May 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM

C’mon, baldi…Panetta is a Democrat, and a native Californian…a Monterey homeboy. Better than most. And yes, saving the whales was one of his public policy programs out at Fort Ord. Commie? No, just confused. Give him time, maybe he’ll come around to the dark side. :-)

coldwarrior on May 13, 2009 at 11:04 PM

coldwarrior on May 13, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Reading this book has made me paranoid…or rather, more paranoid. Whatcha know about the author?

baldilocks on May 13, 2009 at 11:07 PM

baldilocks on May 13, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Funny you should mention that…Shadow World is on my list for this next week. Right now, I am reading Derek Leebaert’s The Fifty-Year Wound about the Cold War, and how it impacted our society and the rest of the world, and have Chris Herberts The Great Mutiny next on deck, about India in the 1850’s.

As for Chandler’s book…read it…and re-read it. Pretty much on target. Not all that familiar with Chandler, but from the reviews, and related articles I’ve read, there is a lot of meat in his writings. Paranoid? Sometimes paranoia is justified. Not hyperbole, just looking at various activities of Russia, several middle-eastern groups and how the apologetic Left enables them time and time again.

Let’s toss a George Soros or two into the mix…really paranoid now, right?

Sometimes we cannot read the writing on the wall until we are flat on our backs.

Not the preferred way of dealing with the realities of the rest of the world. Face it, most Americans are more concerned about the next and newest reality TV show than real reality.

coldwarrior on May 13, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Nan was just in the shop having her face torqued.

viking01 on May 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM

If she has one more lift she’ll have a beard.

Old Hippie Vet on May 13, 2009 at 11:30 PM

If she has one more lift she’ll have a beard.

Old Hippie Vet on May 13, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Chest hair at least.

thomasaur on May 13, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I have never gotten a bad feeling about Panetta.
Cindy Munford on May 13, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Never would’ve guessed these things about Panetta. He went from an (R) to a (D).

Regardless of his several attempts to drive me crazy I have always thought Pres. Bush was a decent man…
Cindy Munford on May 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Yes, that is my mixed impression. If he was somebody’s neighbor and not a politician…

Feedie on May 13, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Feedie on May 13, 2009 at 11:31 PM

No kidding, Panetta was a Republican? Interesting. I just really like President as a person. I always thought his crazy stand on immigration was because he is from Texas. I think Hispanics are a fact of life there instead of the relative rarity to many of us but the obvious openness of the border was something I couldn’t/can’t understand. Anyway I never thought it was about power with him but that is probably pretty naive.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM

coldwarrior on May 13, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Next is Levin’s Liberty and Tyranny, then probably trudge through a political/economic classic that I haven’t read yet. (Curse you, LAUSD!)

About reality: I prefer it, ugly as it is. But I will grab some happiness while I can and I suggest that we all do the same.

I do think that there some pattern at work here–a divine one. That’s what keeps me sane.

baldilocks on May 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM

baldilocks on May 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Liberty and Tyranny rocks….

the pattern is a lot of people believe in unicorns and don’t see the system that keeps their world moving…..

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM

I feel the same way about President Bush–especially after observing his…tenderness (the best word) with the troops.

Why the Left hated him: the 2000 election of course. They hate, hate, hate it when they try to put one over on the other side and get slapped down.

baldilocks on May 14, 2009 at 12:01 AM

sven10077 on May 14, 2009 at 12:01 AM

That’s the chaotic pattern–the lawless pattern–not the divine one.

baldilocks on May 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Yeah, from the wiki entry:

Panetta switched to the Democratic Party in 1971, because he thought that the Republican Party was moving away from the political center.

I have a sore memory of the first Bush administration. They are not leadership material. They are unprincipled in the sense of not connecting their decisions to any underlying principle, except perhaps what they think is nice. They always thought government is the solution to problems. There is only a general drift toward internationalism and the approval of their Ivy-League pals.

It’s maddening and the Texas connection was gleefully exploited by lefty media. The truth is Ivy-League all the way.

The Bush Dynasty deftly exploited the weakness of Rush to be accepted by the “establishment.” As a writer said, Rush’s weaknesses humanize him and I won’t forget his great contributions. The trouble with listening to him today is the unconscious deflection of any topic that puts a Bush in a bad light. For me, it reopens a scab that’s trying to heal and forgive. Jeb makes it a tag-team.

Keeping the borders open and interfering with a Texas execution are crimes that might’ve been investigated by a Constitution-minded Congress. Oh well.

You have a warm presence. Must appreciated as it balances my baying at the moon.

Feedie on May 14, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Ugly, lying skank.

Jaibones on May 14, 2009 at 12:23 AM

baldilocks on May 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Try ” Blind Man’s Bluff”.

Johan Klaus on May 14, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Johan Klaus on May 14, 2009 at 12:39 AM

By Drew/Sontag? Will do.

Feedie on May 14, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Cindy is a nice lady.

baldilocks on May 14, 2009 at 12:46 AM

coldwarrior on May 13, 2009 at 10:20 PM

And to all those “old” guys and good guys you know, and still speak with; tell them we know they have protected us and wish them a mighty “Thank you!” and most definite a safe life going forward.

I know he is a writer, but Vince Flyn said about 3-4 months ago the good ones left in the CIA were leaving and in mass. God help us!

To the comment about not liking the CIA, are you for real? Dude, every country has the equivalent to the CIA or worse. Heard of the Mossad? MI-6 or MI-7 or the SAS? They are necessary to survive, period. I was not a fan of all the Bush leakers, but these newer dudes and dudettes seem to roll not quite as smoothly as the old guys. Plus, based on what I have read and heard, most of our former CIA guys gave up because of being politically and totally neutered in what they were trained to do. Their jobs are not in being saints or to act as the FBI, or lawyers for the love of Pete!

Exactly as sven posted this quote! It cannot be said or drilled into our brains enough that we fight an enemy that has never, ever settled for defeat. Once again, history might need to be the only courses taught in school.

Glad to hear my tingly feeling about Lyin Leon were correct. I kept telling the husbat I did not think he was totally in the Obama tank. Unfortunately, Dead Fish nor the Obama Gang do not take “no” as an acceptable answer. He might need to retire. However, if the CIA keeps this up, he might just be the one saving grace in D.C. along with General Patraeus when he visits the One for their briefings face to face.

While America burns, I am at least going to savor this torching of “Two Face”. Meme might need to meet with Assad again, or the Pope, to see if she can take up residence elsewhere if this thing is seen to a fitting in.

freeus on May 14, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Feedie on May 14, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Baying is what blogs are for. I have a hard time thinking the worst of almost anybody. So I guess I would say let the Bush family go and enjoy an occasional rant if it makes you feel better.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2009 at 1:03 AM

A delightful headline and good reading:

Congress and Waterboarding
Nancy Pelosi was an accomplice to ‘torture.’

by Karl Rove

Someone important appears not to be telling the truth about her knowledge of the CIA’s use of enhanced interrogation techniques (EITs). That someone is Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi. The political persecution of Bush administration officials she has been pushing may now ensnare her.

So is the speaker of the House lying about what she knew and when? And, if so, what will Democrats do about it?

Loxodonta on May 14, 2009 at 3:47 AM

Many thanks coldwarrior for your service. As for the democraps would they really have wanted these memos to come out before blaring live TV cameras on a “Truth Commission” with defense attorneys strongly speaking to Nancy Pelousy, “Have you no decency Speaker Pelousy, Have you no shame?!!!” That would have been viral video, but I don’t know that is the truth she would have been waiting for. It would have been a delicious dish anyway.

eaglewingz08 on May 14, 2009 at 7:05 AM

The democrats are surprised anyone would even hint of questioning their blatant lies.

Google: The Obama Deception

volsense on May 14, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Okay probably not — but we can dream, can we not?!

blatantblue on May 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Hahaha…at least you won’t have to travel far to find a target.

ladyingray on May 14, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Why am I uneasy then? Some left leaners questioning Pelosi? Just for the sake of information who might be in line to take Pelosi’s place were she to step down or be forced into same? Anyone know?

jeanie on May 14, 2009 at 10:20 AM

That picture scares me. I’ve seen tighter skin on a turkey’s neck.

PappaMac on May 14, 2009 at 10:24 AM

The CIA won’t let Congress lie to the public about a practice that Congress has historically been aware of and tacitly approved.

Congress is whining about the CIA leaking info that proves its members are outright liars, not about the fact that their leaders and other members are lying, but about the fact that the CIA leaked the truth.

The CIA is refusing to let Congress blame it for successfully interrogating people who have harmed our country and who wish to do greater violence to us.

The next time Congress members decide to dump on the CIA, they may want to consider that the CIA won’t accept Congressional blame-shifting.

Kudos to the CIA whistle-blowers on this matter.

molonlabe28 on May 14, 2009 at 11:44 AM

For the same reason OJ and Drew Peterson aren’t raising holy hell about finding the people who “really” murdered their wives.

They know they are guilty as sin.

UltimateBob on May 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

The innocence is heartbreaking, isn’t it?

Innocence? I didnt see anything in what you quoted that suggested that any Dems were shocked or surprised at the leak. They just said “Yeah, the CIA did this for political purposes.”

They didnt get all up in arms saying that the CIA was endangering national security and putting our troops in harm’s way and all that baloney that the Republicans predictably spout.

orange on May 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM

They started this! The Democrats are playing politics with intelligence, not the CIA!

They decided now that since they control the Legislative and Executive they can now go own their sanctimonious rants against torture and look like the good guys with phoney moral outrage!

Cr4sh Dummy on May 14, 2009 at 3:15 PM