The obligatory “Palin lands presumably massive book deal” post

posted at 9:26 pm on May 12, 2009 by Allahpundit

No word on how much, but she had a top D.C. agent working on it and he scored a sufficiently sweet offer from Harper Collins that they didn’t bother with competing bids. No need to worry about her straining under the weight of those legal bills anymore. The only question is how many days before the book is released will Palinites begin lining up outside Barnes & Noble.

The inevitable lefty take will be snarky feigned surprise that she’s capable of even reading a book, let alone writing one, the first bare whiff of which you can smell at the tail end of the AP’s report:

Burnham said Palin did not submit any writing samples when she met with HarperCollins executives in Washington, earlier this year. She will work with a collaborator, to be determined.

“She’s obviously going to be engaged in the whole process of the book,” said Burnham, adding that the role of the collaborator would depend on who was chosen.

“Every word of the book will be her words,” Barnett said…

Palin has never written a book and her critics, noting her disjointed CBS interviews with Katie Couric, have questioned whether she could. Two years ago, Palin told PBS’ Charlie Rose that her favorite writers were C.S. Lewis (“very, very deep”) and a Runner’s World columnist, Dr. George Sheehan. Asked Tuesday about her reading, Palin mentioned that she “really enjoyed” Katharine Graham’s Pulitzer Prize-winning “Personal History” and cited works by Obama, McCain and Bill Clinton, whose “My Life” she read “just recently.”

I like the gratuitous quote about her read on Lewis’s depth, as if to underscore the author’s opinion that she’s a moron. Say, do national celebrities typically have to submit writing samples when they’re being wooed for multimillion-dollar book offers? If not, why bring it up?

ADN says she’ll give a portion of the proceeds to charity. Sounds like there’ll be plenty of bio to please fans — the publisher emphasized that her lifestyle is “unpretentious” — but the real money lies in how willing she is to settle scores from the campaign. I’m thinking … not very. She’s never badmouthed McCain and has studiously avoided naming the aides who were sniping anonymously at her last winter. Maybe Harper Collins made her promise up front to deliver the goods?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

She should title it: The Audacity of Real Life.

29Victor on May 12, 2009 at 9:54 PM

In the alternative, The Audacity of Accomplishing Something Before Running for National Office.

In either event, Foreword by Carrie Prejean.

McCain may be off limits, but I might be squirming if I were Nicole Wallace or any one of Palin’s other handlers.

BuckeyeSam on May 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM

First of all, buying two copies won’t be enough. I’m talking like the Paulians did — five or ten, etc.

OK, here we go “We have illegal alien Juan here who bought 5 copies of Palin’s book and then called us up”

What are they going to say? They’ll still be stuck with explaining that people called them up to report that they’d bought several copies.

No. But the royalties from that $270 in sales would probably be a nice dinner.

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 9:59 PM

And when you say nice dinner do you mean family lunch picnic?

Upstater85 on May 12, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Probably not. I’m betting a “massive book deal” probably yields higher royalties per sale than the average author.

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 10:06 PM

The AP article was definitely snarky. I wonder what’s going on with them. Where are the editors?

AnninCA on May 12, 2009 at 10:01 PM

In Obama’s crotch, with the rest.

ddrintn on May 12, 2009 at 10:08 PM

And I don’t think it’ll matter if it’s $2,700, $270, or $27. ACORN isn’t going to want to drive profits to the Palins for very little in return. The media may care how the narrative plays out in the short-term. ACORN is more concerned with rigging elections and hunting the rich.

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Maybe Harper Collins made her promise up front to deliver the goods?

I don’t think Zondervan signed up to copublish “My enemies are mean and I hate them.”

It will be folksy, personable and tell the story of her hockey-mom-to-VP-campaign story. She’ll talk about her faith, her family, and how her small-town values have influenced her conservative governing principles. Emphasized stories will be economic frugality and energy anecdotes, to hint at upcoming speech themes.

At least, that’s my guess. We’ll find out if this is accurate in a few months.

cs89 on May 12, 2009 at 10:10 PM

AnninCA on May 12, 2009 at 10:01 PM

It was written by Hillel Italie, who was also snarky when it came to reporting on Bush’s book deal.

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 10:11 PM

[BuckeyeSam on May 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM]

How about the “The Audacity of Honesty”.

Dusty on May 12, 2009 at 10:13 PM

I think you are giving them WAY too much credibility here…

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Massive book deal doesn’t mean she’s getting 50%. It would probably cost the Palins $100+ just to go to a halfway decent place.

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Perhaps, but why does the MSM pay so much money and put so much energy into bashing their best pal? Just because it has expenses doesn’t mean it won’t benefit them [ACORN, MSM] in the end.

Upstater85 on May 12, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Upstater85 on May 12, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Just to clarify, the best pal is?

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Just to clarify, the best pal is?

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Palin or whichever target you’d like to put in for best pal.

Upstater85 on May 12, 2009 at 10:17 PM

The MSM cares about the narrative. That’s about all it can control. ACORN cares about the actual action (registering voters illegally, breaking into homes, etc.) ACORN doesn’t get much in return as far as it’s concerned by painting a picture of lower book sales for a few days.

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Upstater85 on May 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM

In all fairness I lost all ability to use pronouns and articles when I started writing reports in the Navy.

Getting it back in time for Law School was a biatch.

Squid Shark on May 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Weight of Glory on May 12, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Even if it was the “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” and the rest of the Chronicles of Narnia (as strangelet snarkily suggests – no proof of course), she’d be fine. the allegory in them is sublime.

JeffWeimer on May 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Eh, so they don’t get anything out of say Barry (instead of Palin) being the kewlest precedent evah?

Upstater85 on May 12, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Umm…. C.S Lewis? Those the AP think Lewis just wrote Narnia and Quit? I am sure Palin was reading one of the 7 Narnia related books, but for the press to act like C.S.Lewis, who went from full atheist to cristian just wrote 7 books, they need to do some research. Check out theology C.S Lewis wrote. Google it Asociated!

clover_dave on May 12, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Getting it back in time for Law School was a biatch.

Squid Shark on May 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Yeah, I know, but I’m bumping into more and more students that don’t even know what they are.

Upstater85 on May 12, 2009 at 10:24 PM

ddrintn on May 12, 2009 at 10:08 PM

No, no, no. They are slightly back and deeper in…..

Rightwingguy on May 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Squid Shark on May 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Shoot, I’m losing them when writing chits. Why the heck do I have to write in the third person?

Rightwingguy on May 12, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Upstater85 on May 12, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Sure they do. But her book comes out in 2010 — the election is in 2011/2012. The whole “devoted fans buying up books” thing would last a few days. It wouldn’t be enough to do any serious damage to her chances as a candidate.

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM

JeffWeimer on May 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Very true.

Weight of Glory on May 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Oh, Gawd! The trolls will be up all night festering over this one…

ErinF on May 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM

amerpundit on May 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Then why do they continue to nit-pick every detail of Palin or anyone that they find a threat to their agenda? It’s not like they wait around for the big “Palin kills her baby” or “Cheney caught urinating on JFK’s memorial” stories…

Upstater85 on May 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM

There is another reason the Marxists can’t stand C.S. Lewis.

Lewis used to be an atheist and his close friend Tolkien ( a devout Catholic) dared Lewis to try to prove a non-existence of God. Lewis took the bet and the more he researched and studied the more Lewis began to rethink his beliefs. As we are all aware C.S. Lewis became a deeply religious man and author. To Marxists the government is their deity and any religion which impedes the “government knows best” mentality is resented. That Lewis’ writings draw clear distinctions between right and wrong threatens current Liberalism’s “if it feels good do it” 1960s foundations. Lewis’ writings contemplate selflessness and sacrifice which flies in the face of socialism’s attempts to apply “gray area” interpretations to all things and their incessant desire to take from others by tax or redistribution what current Liberals tend to be too lazy to earn for themselves.

viking01 on May 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I will buy it.
I will read it.
I will loan it to
Liberal friends.
Oh wait, I don’t have any
Liberal friends.
They crazy.

carbon_footprint on May 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM

viking01 on May 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I dont like CS Lewis because he is boring. I do find his story of change touching.

Squid Shark on May 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Good for her, I hope she makes a buttload of money. She desrves it after all of the crap she’s been through.

kg598301 on May 12, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Squid Shark on May 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Whether one likes him or not or shares any of his beliefs C.S. Lewis represents one who gained religion instead of discarding it. That goes against the agenda of the ACLU, many activist judges and those who seek to centralize government authority.

Nobody said reading philosophy was easy or guaranteed it to be always entertaining.

viking01 on May 12, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Lefty heads will explode.

therightwinger on May 12, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Squid Shark on May 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Clearly you haven’t read the space trilogy or Pilgrim’s Regress.

daesleeper on May 12, 2009 at 10:58 PM

There is another reason the Marxists can’t stand C.S. Lewis.

viking01 on May 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM

A very good analysis, in my opinion.

The lefties here (and at Associated Press) don’t approve of Lewis or give his writings credence probably because some snotty professor told them that Lewis must be dismissed because he believed in a “Sky God” or some other such dismissive bullshit.

hillbillyjim on May 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM

For those who are cool to Palin there will be two schools of thought:

1) She didn’t write the book; she is a dummy.

2)I didn’t think she had it in her; she deserves a second look.

How many from each category emerge I don’t know.

technopeasant on May 12, 2009 at 11:11 PM

I love that she’s reading Obama’s books; studying up on her 2012 competition.

yogi41 on May 12, 2009 at 11:18 PM

She should’ve released what she got…. It would have made some liberals go nuts!

TimeTraveler on May 12, 2009 at 11:20 PM

I’m loving all this C.S. Lewis love being shown here tonight.

In my own humble opinion, I think he is a vastly under-rated and under-appreciated author and theologian.

Seminaries have you study Barth and Moltmann, but they would be better served studying Lewis.

I found more profound truths in The Screwtape Letters then in most of the Moltmann I read.

And don’t even get me started on Mere Christianity which is so well and densely written that I can’t read but a couple of pages at a time before I have to pause to let it sink in.

Thus, if Gov. Palin is reading Lewis, that indicates not only an incredible intellect, but a ravenous hunger for knowledge.

Religious_Zealot on May 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM

my tent is already pitched

alexraye on May 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM

He said “publicity whore.” I called Donald Trump a “media whore” myself earlier today. Don’t be so eager to be offended. Not every usage of the term implies something sexual.

Allahpundit on May 12, 2009 at 9:51 PM

When the term is used toward a woman it IS offensive. If he had posted Michelle Malkin was a publicity whore you wouldn’t be offended and view the remark as a derogatory, sexist dig?

Christina_M on May 12, 2009 at 11:33 PM

She is going to need to write at least 2 books to become qualified to run for President again. :-)

JeffinSac on May 12, 2009 at 11:35 PM

hillbillyjim on May 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Thanks.

I remember years ago in college during some sort of debate or colloquium a certain hard Left professor, fried-out draft dodger, Hanoi Jane wannabe (and obsessive Reagan hater (RDS?)still compensating for his hero Peanut Carter’s disastrous presidency) was knocking C.S. Lewis as some sort of lunatic dreamer and religious fanatic. Knowing that professor could have no influence on my grades I asked him: “If it’s perfectly fine for you to worship Chairman Mao or Jimmy Carter what’s wrong with tolerance for C.S. Lewis’ choice to accept a different Savior?” He knew I was setting him up for a smack-down on the “tolerance” that professor earlier was suggesting he should receive for his personal views and he wisely decided not to press the matter. I find that Liberals can’t stand it when someone who opposes their views uses loaded code-words like “choice” when the “choice” is responsibility rather than convenience.

I think what fully unhinged the Leftists and their media hacks against Palin was her decision to preserve the life of her Down Syndrome child. The Leftists because of their obsession with personal convenience regardless of costs (even if a life) to others and the Leftoid TV media hacks obsessed with physical appearance, even if synthetic, who lose composure if their hair moves out of place on camera.

viking01 on May 12, 2009 at 11:35 PM

By the way… C.S. Lewis died on the same day as JFK was assassinated hence not much coverage of his passing at that time.

Even in an era before Walter Cronkite and later activist ilk had had much chance to soil a newsroom that coincidence of Lewis’ and JFK’s shooting minimized the news coverage of Lewis’ remarkable life.

viking01 on May 12, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Ha, the jokes on you. B&N wouldn’t stock a Palin book!

amkun on May 12, 2009 at 11:41 PM

viking01 on May 12, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Yes. Reading some of the more imbalanced rantings about Palin, one would assume that she has been blowing up abortion clinics weekly since birth. Her moral decision upsets their “feel good” applecart, to be sure.

That, plus her immediate likability and photogenic physical appearance apparently sent them into spasms from which some have never recovered.

hillbillyjim on May 12, 2009 at 11:51 PM

I wish the book was coming out before Christmas then I could do all my shopping at one place…but then again… I might end up getting multiple copies as gifts myself lol!

CCRWM on May 12, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Forget sittin in front of the bookstore.

I’m gonna Buy the Bookstore!

Sapwolf on May 13, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Sarah doesn’t have to tell us who the rumor leaker was.

Everybody knows it was Mavericks spoiled brat daughter.

Nonissue now.

Sapwolf on May 13, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Perhaps Mere Christianity or The Problem of Pain?

Wethal on May 12, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Right on.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if one or more of her kids read the Chronicles of Narnia. Sarah seems like the type to read those just for her kids.

Sapwolf on May 13, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Ha, the jokes on you. B&N wouldn’t stock a Palin book!

amkun on May 12, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Sure they will. And if they don’t, you make them order it, and get snippy with them. I had to order Clarence Thomas’ fine autobiography, and they had dozens of the horrible book by Carter sitting around, the anti-Israel one. I had a great time frosting the eyebrows of the little chromatically-diverse-hair-babe with the oh so funky eyeglasses at the info desk. Usually they have them–or they are sold out of them. They sell like hot-cakes don’t you know. Levin’s book, for example, is #3 in sales on Amazon. B & N is not going to turn down that kind of revenue.

smellthecoffee on May 13, 2009 at 12:21 AM

I’m loving all this C.S. Lewis love being shown here tonight.

Religious_Zealot on May 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Yep. I started reading “The Screwtape Letters”. He had me pegged so bad and other interruptions led to putting the book down. I need to restart it now to keep up with the Cuda: Wife, mother, mayor, huntress, governor, thinker, philosopher, ambassador of common sense.

My God, the Left will be back in therapy in notime. Psychiatrists in places like NYC are salivating already.

Sapwolf on May 13, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Screw the bookstores.

I’m gettin a distributor license and fill up a pickup truck and toss them on the front porches of all my favorite libtards,…like

Peggy Noonan
Kathleen Parker
Maureen O’Dowd (plus batteries for unowut)
David Frum and Brooks
Molitsas (I’d corner him somewhere or give a copy to his kids)
The ladies on the View (I make sure Joy’s went right through the window,oops)
Oprah
etc.

Next Spring is gonna be oh so fun.

Sapwolf on May 13, 2009 at 12:44 AM

This will be interesting to follow. I will certainly buy a copy of this one. I’m in the middle of Levin’s book now, and it’s a refreshing perspective in this environment.

That book tour will be fun to watch, the lines around the block at every signing, and who is annoyed by the success this will be.

Let’s get it on!

Brian1972 on May 13, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Her moral decision upsets their “feel good” applecart, to be sure.

hillbillyjim on May 12, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Totally accurate.

Vermont Neighbor on May 13, 2009 at 1:04 AM

OK I’m going to buy it.

joe_doufu on May 13, 2009 at 1:31 AM

“It will be nice through an unfiltered forum to get to speak truthfully about who we are and what we stand for and what Alaska is all about.”

Whatever they’re paying her ghostwriter, it’s not enough.

benny shakar on May 13, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Whatever they’re paying her ghostwriter, it’s not enough.

benny shakar on May 13, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Whatever you’re paying your ghost-thinker, it’s not enough.

Weight of Glory on May 13, 2009 at 2:20 AM

After the way she’s been treated, could anyone blame her if she did?

Hog Wild on May 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I wouldn’t, but I would still be disappointed. She needs to save her ammo for the enemy, not the weaklings.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on May 13, 2009 at 3:07 AM

benny shakar on May 13, 2009 at 2:04 AM

I would milk the bastards for 10 million bucks upfront.

We know that it’s more than 2 million dollars.

My conservative guess would be 6 million dollars.

Palin should include a couple of sport’s analogies and metaphors in the book.

Contest in primary is nothing to fear
By SARAH PALIN
Republicans are known for preaching the benefits of all kinds of competition, including in the business world, for education choices, product pricing and job opportunities in free markets, and even as the principle behind coaches choosing starting lineups. Why, then, deprecate competition when selecting political leaders?
Despite “politico experts” who claim otherwise, it’s nonsensical to believe Republicans would shoot themselves in the foot by allowing primary competition. Remember, the dynamics of the new closed primaries don’t let “spoilers” advance from party primaries into the general election. Wayward ammunition causes damage when politicians run negative campaigns aimed toward opponents’ feet instead of shooting straight with voters. Republican primaries send victorious candidates forward via majority mandate. Pretty simple. Pretty American.
State government spends $1.3 million on primaries so partisans can select candidates. Surely, multiple choices on the ballot help justify this expenditure. Otherwise, what’s the sense in tax-funded primaries instead of automatic byes doled out through party conventions?
Competition drives you further than you can push yourself on your own. That’s good! Opponents make athletes run faster, work harder, produce more; these are attributes Alaskans want in leaders. Encouraging competition is on par with coaches and teammates believing you can improve, so they advocate competition not to tear you down, but to build the best team possible.
Competitive races allow development of resourcefulness, perseverance, sportsmanship, a larger circle of acquaintances and better responsiveness to issues — all things needed in elected officials.

TimeTraveler on May 13, 2009 at 3:28 AM

J.E. Dyer on May 12, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Awl Riagt! Stop shewin’ off yer book-larnin’!

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on May 13, 2009 at 3:35 AM

I’ll pre-order on Amazon.

BTW

Whatever they’re paying her ghostwriter, it’s not enough.

benny shakar on May 13, 2009 at 2:04 AM

How much did Ayers get for writting Obama’s books?

davo on May 13, 2009 at 4:02 AM

Imagine that! Sarah just scored a mega book deal which will net her far more than most of those elitist MSM/pundit snobs or hateful anonymous bloggers will ever make.

Guess she wasn’t such a “dumb hillbilly” after all.

Remember, she who laughs last, laughs best (all the way to the bank Sarah!)! ;D

sarahpalinfan99 on May 13, 2009 at 5:41 AM

C.S. Lewis is an amazing person. Wish I know more about him.

The movie about his life starring Anthony Hopekins, “SHADOWLANDS”,, is hands-down, the best love story ever told in a movie. It’s been “haunting” (guiding) me for years.

stenwin77 on May 13, 2009 at 7:12 AM

I’m thinking of all the birthday and Christmas presents down the road ….

After I read my copy, I think I’ll place it in the breakroom at the office so others can enjoy !!

stenwin77 on May 13, 2009 at 7:15 AM

When it comes out, I’ll buy it. The end.

itzWicks on May 13, 2009 at 8:09 AM

It could be a children’s book Barbie Does DC”

hanzblinx on May 13, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Why does AP report this as though working with a ghost writer is something that doesn’t happen all the time? Most autobiographies are collaborations. I’d still like for someone to tell me what Barack Obama has ever written in his life. There’s pretty good evidence Ayers wrote his books. We know he never wrote anything at Harvard Law, and he’s only written one piece of legislation in his career. I am starting to believe there’s a pretty good argument he’s totally illiterate. ;o)

NoLeftTurn on May 13, 2009 at 11:07 AM

NoLeftTurn on May 13, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Don’t go overboard now. He’s pretty fixated on his Blackberry. He can at least read texting shorthand!

/sarc

cs89 on May 13, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Google it Asociated!

I agree. AP hasn’t a clue at the depth of Lewis’ logic and reason.

They just look pathetic.

scotthenning on May 13, 2009 at 12:38 PM

How much did Ayers get for writting Obama’s books?

davo on May 13, 2009 at 4:02 AM

Undisclosed, but would anyone be surprised if the last part of it were a pardon for him and Bernadette on 20 Jan 2013?

Snowed In on May 13, 2009 at 3:04 PM

It could be a children’s book Barbie Does DC”

hanzblinx on May 13, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Oh, a kid’s book named after a famous porno. That’s classy of you.

Brian1972 on May 13, 2009 at 6:35 PM

TimeTraveler on May 13, 2009 at 3:28 AM

A way of saying “Bring it on Romneyites. Hit me with your best shot. Then I’ll drop Mittens with a wink and get to the real fight.”

I’m afraid beating Romney is not exactly gonna make Sarah that much stronger. But beat him she will if she runs in 2012.

Sapwolf on May 13, 2009 at 7:35 PM