Anyone buying this “Doomsday Strategy” at Team Edwards?

posted at 10:12 am on May 11, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

George Stephanopolous reports that key members of the John Edwards campaign had determined to sabotage his campaign if he took the lead for the Democratic presidential nomination.  The insiders had come to believe that Edwards had indeed had a sexual affair with Rielle Hunter and that exposure would doom Democrats to defeat.  They now claim that they would have taken steps to kneecap their own candidate to keep him from winning the nomination — but how plausible is this story?

I’ve talked to a lot of former Edwards staffers about this. Up until December of 2007, most on Edwards’ staff didn’t believe rumors about the affair.

But by late December, early January of last year, several people in his inner circle began to think the rumors were true.

Several of them had gotten together and devised a “doomsday” strategy of sorts.

Basically, if it looked like Edwards was going to win the Democratic Party nomination, they were going to sabotage his campaign, several former Edwards’ staffers have told me.

They said they were Democrats first, and if it looked like Edwards was going to become the nominee, they were going to bring down the campaign.

I don’t doubt that they told Stephanopolous this story, but it rings hollow.  First, did any of them quit the campaign after coming to this conclusion?  If they were really convinced that Edwards had acted unethically and became that disenchanted with him, their first impulse should have been to quit.  This explanation has them continuing to work for a man they now say was too compromised to run as the ticket’s headliner, but doesn’t their own continued presence and support mean either that they didn’t believe that at the time, or that they were just collecting a paycheck and didn’t care?

For that matter, the staffers could have leaked the story to the press.  We had some indications in October 2007 that the LA Times was holding back a salacious story on one of the candidates, and everyone now assumes that was the Edwards-Rielle Hunter story.  They could just have easily shopped the story to the New York Post, Washington Times, or one of the conservative political publications — or for that matter almost anywhere else in the press, which had already started fawning over Obama.  Why wait until it got close?  It would make more sense to kneecap Edwards quickly before it damaged the Democratic ticket entirely.

Also, let’s remember where Edwards was in December 2007: a very, very distant third to Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton nationwide.  Edwards surprised Hillary by just barely edging her for second place in Iowa, but that was the lone high point of the entire campaign.  His cheesy and hypocritical “Two Americas” populism got eclipsed by Obama’s in 2007, and by December 2007, the race had clearly come down to Hillary as the favorite and Obama as the challenger.  It’s pretty easy now to claim that Edwards’ staff was poised like a mongoose to kill off his presidential aspirations if he would have looked as though he had a prayer of winning.  By that time, Edwards was all but finished anyway, and everyone knew it.

One last question: would they have broached their conclusions if Edwards had been selected as a running mate by either Obama or Hillary?  Why wait for so long to pull that trigger?  By the time Edwards got caught by the National Enquirer coming out of Hunter’s hotel room in July, Obama could have already publicly selected a running mate, and it could have been Edwards.

I’m smelling a heaping helping of self-serving effluvium in this story.  I don’t doubt they’re telling the tale, but it’s sheer fantasy meant to bolster some tarnished reputations.

Comments

The staffers seem to have the same ehtics as their boss…birds of the feather…

RedSoxNation on May 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I’m not buying it either. That just doesn’t seem to be the nature of Democrats. First and foremost they seek personal power and to give up a chance at that for the good of the party seems very, very unlikely. I’ve never seen ANY Democrat do anything like that.

Kronos on May 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I would think the number one saboteur was Edwards himself.

kybowexar on May 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Bunch of campaign workers asking themselves “What can I say to get out of this with any hope of work next cycle?”

cs89 on May 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM

First impulse would be to quit if you have good moral principles. Since these people said they were “Democrats first,” we can throw out the principles and assume that power was first on their list. Since they thought their rumors were true, staying in the campaign to sabotage was their way of helping Democrats regain total power in DC.

WashJeff on May 11, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Anyone else notice their chins?? Was that the attraction? He thought she was as pretty as him?

Oh…I just gave myself an ice cream headache

E9RET on May 11, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Could they have been keeping Edwards in the race to take votes from Clinton and hand the nomination to Obama? That’s a long shot, but the only thing I can imagine. Otherwise, it makes no sense what-so-ever.

behiker on May 11, 2009 at 10:21 AM

“….key members of the John Edwards campaign had determined to sabotage his campaign if he took the lead for the Democratic presidential nomination.”

So they were prepared to betray their Candidate, but only if it really, really would hurt him.

Ethics.

Kasper Hauser on May 11, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Was that the attraction?

Androgyny attracts androgyny.

Kasper Hauser on May 11, 2009 at 10:23 AM

I’m just glad Edwards is done with national politics.

Or is he?

DUN DUN DUN

blatantblue on May 11, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Especially when the leftist blogs are all patting themselves on the back about how “ethical” they are that they would protect the party this way… y’know, unlike the Rethuglicans…

Which would be an interesting point IF they had actually leaked the affair… They didn’t. In fact, by the story’s own definition they would have leaked this only AFTER Edwards had clinched the nomination assuring party defeat.

Skywise on May 11, 2009 at 10:23 AM

will the silky pony rise from the dead?

blatantblue on May 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I’m still looking for the part in the story that tells me why I’m supposed to care.

Daggett on May 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

In what parallel universe in this even possible? I’m not a big fan of Edwards, but what did he do to his own staff to make them this disloyal?

Tommy_G on May 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM

poised like a mongoose

HAHA! Phrase of the day!

saus on May 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Would Hillary have won if Edwards got exposed early on?

MechEng5by5 on May 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM

About as plausible as the story that Edwards was a devoted family man who’d only ever loved one woman, his terminally ill wife, Elizabeth.

AZCoyote on May 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM

They’re all looking to work on the 2012 Obama campaign….

Mew

acat on May 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Whatever. This is just political consultants building in excuses for their failure. It’s basically just spin for their resume. Something like:

“Well, of COURSE Edwards did poorly. We did that on purpose! It was part of our master plan to save the Democrat party. Now, my consulting fee is $250k up front, plus an expense account, plus $20,000 per week.”

hawksruleva on May 11, 2009 at 10:28 AM

His rehabilitation is well underway. He was a featured speaker at Brown University just this past March. His cow of a wife was recently whining to Oprah about how wonderful he really is. His fall is preferable to those who excuse their own faults by saying everyone has them, and makes him a more attractive candidate in the future. NOTHING is beyond the pale any longer.

JiangxiDad on May 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Barack’s team also had a plan if it got out that he was really a muslim, I mean not born in the US, *oops* I mean that he was BFF with a domestic terrorist, *WOW* wait, no I mean that he is a socialist, *SMACK* what am I saying! I meant that if Americans discovered he has no managerial experience!

Yeah, that’s it…

DamnYankee on May 11, 2009 at 10:36 AM

WashJeff on May 11, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Bingo

+12

rbj on May 11, 2009 at 10:42 AM

George S. is the source. How can it be anything except
FAKE BUT ACCURATE reporting?

Liberal Democrats are the highest victim caste in the land. The rest of us are second class dhimmis.
Remember Bill Clinton finger wagging, squinty eyed saying “Shame on you”. That is God’s way of telling us to ignore what these freaks say and do and keep our eyes on their legislation.

rishika on May 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Daggett on May 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I’m with you. He’s been exposed for what he is, someone who cheats on the cancer ridden mother of his children.

JiangxiDad on May 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I could see this happening, but anyone who believes he’s sincere is really not too bright. It’s a sick world we live in.

rockhead on May 11, 2009 at 10:47 AM

And Steph was conveniently available as a mouthpiece for the latest Edwards lie.

Not buying it.

PattyJ on May 11, 2009 at 10:56 AM

First impulse would be to quit if you have good moral principles. Since these people said they were “Democrats first,” we can throw out the principles and assume that power was first on their list. WashJeff on May 11, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Excellent point Jeff. Moral principals often conflict with the quest for power. Nancy Pelosi would be a perfect example of sacrificing* one over the other. It has become an artform for many liberal democrats who prefer to call it a “compromise” to reach a greater end.

I might add that “compromising our moral principals” is being argued by some conservatives to achieve/accomplish the “big tent” philosophy they claim is needed to win elections—quite the dilemma.
* = a.Forfeiture of something highly valued for the sake of one considered to have a greater value or claim.

Rovin on May 11, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Why didn’t Elizabeth come forward?

Regardless of her medical condition, I have a bigger problem with her in this mess than I do with the campaign staff.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned……except for Elizabeth Edwards.

She carries the full blame here, the staff is trying to cover her arse.

Knucklehead on May 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM

hahaha, finger wagging and righteous indignation is what the dems do best. Like Ed said, though…they weren’t righteous enough to quit collecting a paycheck over it.

scalleywag on May 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Crap on the rest of the stoy. I think Hunter is HOT!!!

I wonder it she’d give up on Silky for a guy in the service.

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I don’t get why people have a problem with Elizabeth. First of all, she was probably in a state of denial…how could her husband have an affair when a)he was running for office, b)she’d been diagnosed with cancer, and c)they were supposed to be the all American family? That’s a bitter pill to swallow. Should she have come forward and spilled the beans, humiliate herself, invite the Nat’l Enquirer reporters to park in her front yard? Give her a break. She’s only human. Why she stays with the man now, I don’t know, but that’s between them.

scalleywag on May 11, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Crap on the rest of the stoy. I think Hunter is HOT!!!

I wonder it she’d give up on Silky for a guy in the service.

hawkdriver

Quick rule of thumb.

Never get involved with anyone who 1. has more problems than you do and 2. makes less money than you do.

E9RET on May 11, 2009 at 11:06 AM

E9RET on May 11, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Even if she’s HOT???

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Crap on the rest of the story. I think Hunter is HOT!!!

I wonder it she’d give up on Silky for a guy in the service.

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Careful there HD…..it’s just these kind of “firm feelings” that get these politicians in trouble. (see Eliot Spitzer)

Rovin on May 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I’m putting out the word on you. Anybody seeking Hawkdriver posts needs to monitor the hot babe threads.

Loxodonta on May 11, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Fake Democrats Campaign Staff Faking Morals and Standards that they claim they would have used to doom the face hair model if the Fake Messiah was in trouble.

Steaming pile of democrat…if you ask me.

BillaryMcBush on May 11, 2009 at 11:17 AM

They sound like drug addicts…

“I can quit at anytime man. No Really. If things go to far, we can stop at any time.” Please.

portlandon on May 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM

If Hot Air really supported the troops it would have more hot babe threads.

Loxodonta on May 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Ahhhh….the Edwards….they just keep on giving and giving….lol!

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM

The only way anyone could call Reille “hot” would be if she was in a sauna. Please, guys, show some self-respect.

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 11:19 AM

They are both phonies. She is lying about her story. She wanted to be in the White House at any cost. As a couple they are no different in most respects to the Clinton’s–white trash. Their downfall couldn’t happen to a more deserving couple.

I’m so cynical about these ambulance chasers that I would not be surprised if her cancer miraculously went into remission and she lives to be 90.

patrick neid on May 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Someone should let THE POVERTY CENTER know that out of wedlock births are a very big risk for poverty. John????? You listening????? Also, no condom?????? Very big risk for STDs.

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I think their story is plausible for one simple reason:

If they stay with the campaign as they claim, with the intention of blowing it up at the end if it came to that, they’re looking at an additional seven months of paychecks.

I know many people who make their living jumping from one political campaign to another, and from a self-preservation perspective, if they can extend a gig seven months to give themselves more time to figure out what to do next, they’ll do it.

Totally self-serving and lacking in principle of any kind? You bet. Not unlike John Edwards.

calabrese on May 11, 2009 at 11:23 AM

This story is a red herring. The real storm is that LSM was giving Edwards a pass. Reporting on that would mean an exploration of their inherent bias. Tossing this out is meant to divert our attention from the more important story that the most major media outlets are the de facto propaganda arm of the Democrat party.

Sheerq on May 11, 2009 at 11:25 AM

If you believe this, you are more naive than Obama.

Speedwagon82 on May 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Rovin on May 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM

He was married and so is Edwards.

And they were politicians.

As far as the article, I find it credible. One big thing the libs have on us right now is an allegiance to their ideals that trumps the actual people in their party. I honestly believe they’re more like dedicated soldiers to their cause than we are. So I think it’s very plausible they would have thrown him to the wolves to save the scandal to their party.
Did I mention she’s HOT!!!

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM

No, not plausible. They would just lie as they continue to do now. Not only on Edwards, but everything else.

echosyst on May 11, 2009 at 11:33 AM

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Liberals are so ideologically fixated, they are not only willing to sacrifice people in their own party, but our country as a whole. I wish Republicans would be just as fixated on pragmatic principles instead of raising funds for election or re-election.

Did I mention she’s HOT!!!

Speaking of fixations…

Loxodonta on May 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Did I mention she’s HOT!!!

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM

You need a cold shower? You’re starting to remind me of a character in a book I just finished called “City of Thieves”. It was a great book with one of the most memorable characters I’ve ever read about.

I’m paying you a huge compliment.

Knucklehead on May 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Can I ax you all a question? Why has no one, but me, brought up the fact that HE DID NOT PRACTICE SAFE SEX????? HELLOOOOOOOOO????????

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 11:38 AM

This story smelled bad from the beginning. Ethics aside, of which I attribute none to his staff, the story is completely implausible. I believe they knew of the affair – I don’t believe for a minute anyone would have sacrificed Edwards to “save the party”. To me, it sounds like they’re just trying to cover their bums since it might just turn out the baby is his, meaning the affair lasted longer than anyone will admit. Or maybe they want some PR sympathy with the campaign finances illegal use allegations resurfacing – and their roles in it. This can only get more ugly. Too bad his wife won’t sue him for divorce. I get that no one wants to spend the last years of their life in divorce court but it would be nice to finally see this dirtbag taken down a notch.

I wonder if any donors will be suing for their money back now that they know his staff would have “killed the campaign”? Sounds like fraud to me. Sure looks like Edwards is in a heap of trouble. The staffers should have kept their mouths shut.

Only Democrats would laud their own for “imagining” standing up to this kind of moral failure. Lay down with dogs…

gopmom on May 11, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Not at all.
Doesn’t that strategy, after all, imply that he would have to be somehwere near winning the nomination for it to happen?
All I ever saw, during 2007 and 2008 is that it was just a race between Hillary and Whats-his-face. Other than Edwards, whom I can recall by virture of this post, I can’t even recall any other Democrat that ran!

ToddonCapeCod on May 11, 2009 at 11:44 AM

gopmom on May 11, 2009 at 11:42 AM

You make some good points. I have always wondered why Mrs. Edwards has not divorced him before Rielle Hunter sues him for defamation, child support, and whatever other crap any lawyer could pull out of his bag of tricks. Rielle will get her fair share of the loot. I bet there are a few lawyers in Raleigh who would pay to have a piece of the “Father of the Year”.

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I saw an MSNBC headline:

Elizabeth Edwards: “John, A Good Man Who Did a Bad Thing”

It’s like they’re writing to children. And all I could imagine was the headlines if it was a Republican…

“The Pain of Ann Romney”
“Cindy McCain’s Anguish”

etc, etc

LibTired on May 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I am basing this on absolutely nothing but what the hell it is the internet. I always felt that Biden was the second choice for Obama and the first choice was Edwards.

peterargus on May 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM

cs89 on May 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM

One thing I don’t get is this:

How does telling the world that you were willing to secretly sabotauge the man signing your paychecks supposed to help you get on with any campaigns in the future?

If they would undermine Edwards, what would stop them from doing it to someone else in the future?

MarkTheGreat on May 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM

***
The “silky pony”‘s elected political career is over.
***
However, he has a lot of judicial experience–he helped out a lot of (undeserving) clients rip off doctors and insurance companies–and made himself rich by “helping” others.
***
SILKY PONY FOR SCOTUS Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s replacement! He will fit right in.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on May 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM

The Pony will be back. Once the wife is gone, expect to see him all redeemed and such, on the cover of People magazine for Bachelor of the Year. Of course, Rielle will be out of the picture.

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 11:53 AM

People like John Edwards never go away. Their dirty scandals only seem to embolden them. Think Kennedy, Clinton, Spitzer.

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM

MarkTheGreat on May 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Maybe their intent is to get on a movie or book deal. You know it’s coming. In fact, there will be two. One from her and one from them.

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Anyone buying this “Doomsday Strategy” at Team Edwards?

I am. It would have been “Doomsday” for Rielle. They would have taken her for a one-way ride…

TheBigOldDog on May 11, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Rielle will be out of the picture and with Hawkdriver.

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Knucklehead on May 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Lev?

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Stick a fork in Edwards, he is done. What kind of president would he have made if he couldn’t even control his campaign staff. Did he not know that they knew and had a plot to destroy his candidacy? AQ would have had easy pickins with this dude in office. Thank you, Lord! (the real one, not the impostor sitting in the wh.)

Kissmygrits on May 11, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Knucklehead on May 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM

How do you like it, now?

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Lev?

Stick a fork in Edwards, he is done

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 12:02 PM

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Lev?

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Oh, I see you’ve read it?

Horny Koyla. I loved him! I loved the book.

Now go find me a dozen eggs.

Knucklehead on May 11, 2009 at 12:15 PM

If Hot Air really supported the troops it would have more hot babe threads.
Loxodonta on May 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM

What’s Megyn doin’ today??

DamnYankee on May 11, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I thought Democrats wore infidelity like a badge of honor?

Wyznowski on May 11, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Whatever Steffi “reports” one can be sure it is what the Clintoons have ordered him to say. Just as Bob Schieffer can be counted on to shill for whatever the Obambi or the Clintoons expect him to say and react in disbelief when leaders like Cheney talk in opposition to Schieffer’s employers’ party line.

Steffi and Schieffer aren’t reporters. They are pitch men.

viking01 on May 11, 2009 at 12:21 PM

MarkTheGreat on May 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM

The campaign’s apparently being investigated.

If too much embarrassing stuff comes out, they’ll be looking for a pre-established meme of “we had a plan to get off this train when we realized where it was going.”

cs89 on May 11, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Just standard liberal drivel trying to excuse their complete lack of ethics.

katiejane on May 11, 2009 at 12:35 PM

What’s Megyn doin’ today??

DamnYankee on May 11, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I haven’t been gone long enough to think she’s hot.

And I’m sure Hunter’s got to be at least a little more conservative than MegsterMcMuffintop.

KH, why do you need the eggs? Are you getting married again?And knowing how much trouble it got Lev and Koyla into, why would you even want to put me through all that? I hate Nazis.

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 12:43 PM

cs89 on May 11, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Read the bottom of that link. It says this:

The commenting function on this story has been turned off because of abuse.

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM

“… but how plausible is this story?”

Riding the coattails of a loser. Check.
Sucking up to a politician for the big paycheck. Check.
Not caring one wit that the boss is scamming supporters for money to pay them? Check.
Planning to screw him royally to cover their a$$e$ if necessary? Check.
….

Yeah, I believe them.

Dusty on May 11, 2009 at 12:58 PM

hawkdriver on May 11, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Me get married again? NEVER!!! I’m just funning with ya. I don’t even eat eggs.

Now stay safe, you hear me?

Knucklehead on May 11, 2009 at 1:01 PM

These PR hacks, and I think that’s all they are, are the same type that spread ridiculous and unbelievable rumors about Palin.

Every campaign has em’. They are a bit like cockroaches that hide and then you flip the light on……

I agree, in short. Stuff and nonsense. If they had that much integrity, they wouldn’t even be in the biz.

AnninCA on May 11, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Isn’t Hunter pursuing a paternity test? Isn’t the other shoe about to drop? Suspect libs can Ok a guy who commits adultery, but a deadbeat dad? Of course, if he had the baby aborted everything would be AOK.

Christian Conservative on May 11, 2009 at 1:10 PM

“The Pain of Ann Romney”
“Cindy McCain’s Anguish”

etc, etc

LibTired on May 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM
—–

And if *either* Palin strayed, we’d have “The shame of Todd”.

Mew

acat on May 11, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Reminds me of the German atom bomb scientists after WWII who tried to rewrite history so that they were the good guys sabotaging the Nazi effort. I don’t buy that faerie tale, either.

TREGONSEE on May 11, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Even if she’s HOT???

Dude, ESPECIALLY if she’s hot!!

E9RET on May 11, 2009 at 1:35 PM

bloggless on May 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I saw that. Wonder if a couple of comments critical of the Dems got through?

He’s a pretty big player in the Triangle area, from what I understand. Lots of influential friends.

cs89 on May 11, 2009 at 1:40 PM

As much fun as it is to pile on Silky, let’s look forward, because the unanswered questions are fun to contemplate:

When with Rielle write HER book? Will she sue John Edwards to take a paternity test? Will the investigation by the feds into the misuse of campaign funds get anywhere? Will Edwards be his own lawyer (just kidding)? How much dough has Rielle been paid to keep quiet? Is this less or more money that she could earn writing a book? How can she continue to keep quiet after Lizzy’s public flogging?

The most amazing thing to me is that Silky continues to deny paternity and that one of his flacks, a married man himself, took the fall and claimed to be the father of the child. And Lizzy continues to claim that she doesn’t know who the father of the child is.

And…why exactly did Lizzy write her book anyway?

johnboy on May 11, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Sorry – typing problems!

When will Rielle write HER book? Will she sue John Edwards to take a paternity test? Will the investigation by the feds into the misuse of campaign funds get anywhere? Will Edwards be his own lawyer (just kidding)? How much dough has Rielle been paid to keep quiet? Is this less or more money that she could earn writing a book? How can she continue to keep quiet after Lizzy’s public flogging?

And…why exactly did Lizzy write her book anyway

johnboy on May 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM

johnboy….it’s tough to pay the cleaning crew for that big house. :)

A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do.

AnninCA on May 11, 2009 at 3:09 PM

along the lines would you buy a used car from these staffers? would you buy the next politician they go to work for?

Dr Evil on May 11, 2009 at 3:10 PM

“They now claim that they would have taken steps to kneecap their own candidate to keep him from winning the nomination — but how plausible is this story?”

On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a

ROFLMAO!

“The insiders had come to believe that Edwards had indeed had a sexual affair with Rielle Hunter and that exposure would doom Democrats to defeat”

Lets see, they had “come to believe” (WTF does that mean?) Edwards $crewed the pooch, but they were going to let it ride and stab Edwards in the back if he got close to winning.

Really?

Question would you hire these folks? For anything?

DSchoen on May 11, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I hope other politicians are making a list of their names to see that the never work on another campaign. They were disloyal to Miss Clairol and disloyal to his supporters.

Laurence on May 11, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Speaking of campaign insiders, doncha love the Newsweek stories after the prez campaigns are over? Especially the stories from the losing campaigns about how awful their candidates were. I remember in particular the stories about Kerry’s wife, Ms. Heinz, she sounded like a demented faded movie star. This year, we got to hear about what a disorganized mess the Hillary campaign was.

Two questions: 1) does the media sit on these stories during the campaign? or 2) do the insiders come out of the woodwork once their side loses so that they can establish the blame (to secure future employment)?

johnboy on May 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Yeah, wasn’t Edwards caught during a trip to LA to make some speaking engagement, trying to stay in the public eye? Wasn’t he angling for the VP spot?

Jim Treacher on May 11, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Hmmm, main page gives me a blank white page now? Was it something i said?

*gulp*

Midas on May 11, 2009 at 6:44 PM

hey insect please go away.the only one that finds you interesting is you.

wade underhile on May 11, 2009 at 7:20 PM

johnboy….it’s tough to pay the cleaning crew for that big house. :)

A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do.

AnninCA on May 11, 2009 at 3:09 PM

AnninCA — I think ol’ silky could always gin up a few more phony lawsuits to clean that 28K house.

That is yet another thing that kills me about Edwards. He made his pile in part by suing OB docs on imperfect baby deliveries. So what happened? C-section rates have DOUBLED and cerebral palsy rates haven’t budged.

The perfect 1990s guy…

johnboy on May 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I don’t buy it anymore than I buy that Edwards wasn’t fooling around on his wife while she was sick.

blish on May 12, 2009 at 8:10 AM