A couple of random thoughts on Sykes, NerdProm, and double standards

posted at 6:50 pm on May 10, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The White House Correspondents Dinner has been a decades-long tradition of self-deprecation, opponent-skewering, and commingling the power elite and the media watchdogs.  It’s about as meaningful as a White House press release, or these days, an MS-NBC report on the Obama administration.  It only really matters to the people who attend, and I’d bet half of them would probably concede it doesn’t matter much at all.

Comedians like Wanda Sykes are almost literally a dime a dozen.  They like to make headlines by being outrageous, but otherwise have as little relevance to everyday life as Baywatch does to Shakespeare.  She belongs in the same category as Janeane Garofalo, who apparently can’t gain attention any other way than to play the race card by yelling “White Power” on stage at conservatives.  Neither that nor calling Rush Limbaugh the 20th hijacker is witty, funny, or incisive.  It’s at the same level of intellect as babies playing with their soiled diapers, and about as meaningful.

I’m not particularly exercised by it, although it did lead to an interesting Twitter exchange today between myself, Patterico, Steven Den Beste [see update below], Atrios, and a few others.  About halfway into it I grew bored and watched Night at the Museum with my granddaughters.  It was a much better use of my time.

I’ll stipulate that anyone who calls their political opponents “terrorists” have violated the Godwin’s Law of the post-9/11 world, regardless of which side they’re defending or attacking and have surrendered the argument.  Terrorists blow up innocent civilians; radio commentators, pundits, and comedians exercise their First Amendment rights to criticize people.  Those who can’t tell the difference between the two indict themselves with their idiocy, not anyone else.

I find it fascinating, though, that the media world and the White House shrieked when Rush said he hoped Obama would fail, but laughed at Sykes’ calling Rush a terrorist last night, including the President who felt so threatened by Rush that he criticized him by name in the first days of his presidency.  If Rush had called Sykes the “20th terrorist” and wished kidney disease on her, I doubt that Obama would be laughing, and the media would fall all over themselves to rip him to shreds.  But honestly, does the news of a double standard for conservatives really surprise anyone?

Sykes, who can be funny in movies, said something stupid.  If we’re still talking about it tomorrow, the only person that benefits is Sykes.  It makes the WHCD a lot more newsworthy than it should be, and perhaps by tomorrow we’ll all realize that nothing much happened there that affects anyone’s life a single iota.

Update: Apparently, the Steven Den Beste that was in the Twitter feed was not the real Steven Den Beste.  My apologies, Steven, for getting fooled on that one.  By the way, I forgot to mention that Jake Tapper was also in on that series of exchanges, and that it was pleasant, I believe, for everyone.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

“The 4 most successful comedians today….”

“If you see Jeff Foxworthy as the pinnacle of comedic brilliance….”

This is clearly a reading comprehension issue, the only question is whether it’s intentional.

notropis on May 10, 2009 at 9:20 PM

The really sad thing about the press diner was that the majority of the people(?) there were so numb to the underlieing emotions in the country that they tried to respond as if it were a graduation ceremony. They thought any insult toward the right was hilarious and anything slightly demeaning to the left or the extreme left(BHO) was unworthy of their time. To lower the statue of POTUS(TOTUS) to the level of wishing people to die or become seriously sick is seriously sick! Try to compare last night with any GOP event with the press. No meaness and a sense of we are all in this together. Where was that feeling last night? Jesus, you people are the bottom of the human barrel.

inspectorudy on May 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM

US is that we have some sort of unique and deep sin we can NEVER wash ourselves

I reject exceptionalism in all it’s forms, so no, I wouldn’t claim that.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:22 PM

“raise the deficits ”

Oh, you ain’t seen nothing yet. Obama’s own projections show his deficits outpacing Bush’s by more than 3 to 1 over the next decade. The CBO is not so sanguine.

Graphic here.

notropis on May 10, 2009 at 9:24 PM

you are clearly afraid it will swing back again

Nope. Because it will. It always does. In fact I myself said it would, upthread. So I really have no clue what you are blithering on about.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I think it’s safe to say that it’s still Bush’s economy for a few months yet.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Of course you would say that…and in a few months, you’ll be saying it again.

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I reject exceptionalism in all it’s forms, so no, I wouldn’t claim that.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:22 PM

BS you back people who see the US as exceptionally bad….

Ogabe and “world in need ran by white man’s greed” pap along with Jeremiah “G*ddamn America!” Wright…let alone Michelle Ewing and her pap.

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 9:24 PM

BS you back people who see the US as exceptionally bad….

Who? Jeremiah Wright is a freak. I’m no Christian, so I suggest you use a finer brush to tar your opponents with. Who sees the US as exceptionally bad in Obama’s administration? Seriously.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Sounds like a “Clown nose on / Clown nose off” situation.

RobCon on May 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM

OK, it looks like this is a case of mistaken identity. “Steve Beste” is not me.

Steven Den Beste on May 10, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:24 PM

You know exactly what I’m talking about…or you wouldn’t be here at all…

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 9:27 PM

You know exactly what I’m talking about…or you wouldn’t be here at all…

No I don’t. The pendulum will swing back. It will. The GOP will win back the White House someday. I have no clue what you’re trying to say.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Ogabe’s “world apology tour” not enough for you?

The tax cheats he nominates are offset only by the geniuses at the protocol office oh wait he doesn’t have any who think crapping on the queen is acceptable….

*hint that was deadpan it was all Ogabe and his anti-Anglic bias

You hop in the tank with the sharks don’t claim to be a guppy….

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Grow Fins:

Jeremiah might be a freak, but he was Obama’s minister for 20 years. So I guess that maybe Obama found something to like in the guy. Maybe it was all that God Damn America stuff that inspired him.

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Grow Fins:

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Nah the “smartest man EVER in North America” never heard ANYTHING objectionable at TUCC….he was “deeply contemplating bi-partisanship using Zen Meditation”…..

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Who me?

C’mon…if what you say about your one and only true saviour is true…no worries…the US is Obamaland forever, right? I mean, who would want those evil, racist, child-murdering Rethugilicans in the WH after the transcendent beauty of the Age of Obama has been revealed…unless they are really worried that when the rubes finally catch on to this scam that is Democrat governance, they will never get another chance?

So, why are you here again? What is your message, oh angel of enlightenment?

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Limbaugh is Howard Roarke to Obama’s Ellsworth Toohey.

clnurnberg on May 10, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Grow Fins:

Bush did not flush the economy down the toilet, in fact it was doing pretty well until the Pelosi Reid team came to town.

In fact for the most of the time Bush was president the economy grew in spite of the fact that he inherited an economy and had to deal with a terrorist attack on our soil and numerous natural disasters.

Obama might have been president for only four months, but he supported the policies of bad lending that helped to create the situation and he has done nothing but make a bad situation worse since he got in office.

Bush saw the stock market hit more than 14,000 and here people are bragging on Obama because it has actually managed to make it past 8,000.

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 9:37 PM

sven:

Oh yes. That is true. Too busy praying to hear the hate I guess.

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Ogabe “created or saved more than 14,000 points*”

*ie in otherwords he is saying it should be negative 6000

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 9:38 PM

That should be Bush inherited a recession.

Preview is such a bother.

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 9:39 PM

sven:

I think you are getting the hang of Obamamonics.

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 9:39 PM

And those trolls bragging about the markets moving up, I wouldn’t. I’ve been reading some reports about this being a bear market sucker rally. You could get burnt.

cjs1943 on May 10, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Sykes’ comment didn’t offend me at all. What offended me was the shrieks of ecstasy from the “journalists” while the Precedent was reciting his canned speech. It reminded me of my 12-year-old and her friends at a Jonas Brothers concert.

rockmom on May 10, 2009 at 9:43 PM

If its any consolation, I’m sure the palins didn’t understand the joke.

benny shakar on May 10, 2009 at 9:43 PM

cjs:

Yeah, but up from what? Even if it does not go down or stays about where it is, so much value has been lost that it is nothing to brag about.

But Obama and his friends are rich, they don’t care.

Sykes can just yuk it up about people dying and stuff.

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 9:44 PM

If its any consolation, I’m sure the palins didn’t understand the joke.

benny shakar on May 10, 2009 at 9:43 PM

So, how does it feel to be 100% predictable in every comment you make?

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 9:45 PM

benny shakar;

You are real funny aren’t you? Hey look at me make the dumb rube jokes about the Governor of Alaska. snort. Let’s make references to her boyfriend pulling out. ooohhh funny. dirty and kind of racey. yuk yuk.

I think Palin understood it all too well. Like she said about the folks at Saturday Night Live, they exploited her. Made some money doing it too.

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 9:46 PM

That is thing about guys like benny. They say the same things over and over and over. And they say Palin is dumb.

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Ogabe’s “world apology tour” not enough for you?

Again, who among these people says the US is “exceptionally bad”? Not one. And the Ogabe schtick is as lame as the ChimpyMcHitlerburton stuff.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:49 PM

benny shakar:

Perhaps that would be because the Palins do not read this blog?

Turtler on May 10, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Terrye

Ever hear of a sense of humor?

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Ever hear of a sense of humor?

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Not that you have, of course.

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I agree Ed, Wanda Sykes showed herself to be an idiot. By the way, I had never heard of her before last night.

Zorro on May 10, 2009 at 9:55 PM

AUINSC

Funny stuff there, chief.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:49 PM

oddly I don’t see Ogabe questioning Soviet excess or whether or not Chavez and Castro are exceptionally lacking in humanitarianism….he saves that for his predecessor….

Barry Soetoro no tyrant too bad to do the supine butt thrust for…no friend too great to resist his urge to flip off with “gifts”….

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Funny stuff there, chief.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:55 PM

That was devastating!

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:49 PM

I dunno…Ogabe-Mugabe…pretty accurate after trillions sent to the money pit.

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM

ChimpyMcHitlerburton stuff.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Which, of course, you still find completely hilarious…though you would never admit it here.

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I dunno…Ogabe-Mugabe…pretty accurate after trillions sent to the money pit.

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM

hey who cares if our previously abundant farms can’t grow crops at least the ownership is now “fair”….

Mugabe on farms and Barry on GM….

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Nah NONE of the leftoids felt that the “radicals” were “being fair or polite” in their screeching or took part in saidsame theirselves….

like radical islam having a violence issue the leftoids lack of decorum is just “4 or 5 rowdy guys”….

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Grow Fins:

Yes, I have a sense of humor. But I doubt if Obama does. The man takes that whole son of God thing way too seriously. But he does not have anything to worry about. His fan club would never stand for people making fun of Jeremiah Wright’s most famous protege.

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Grow Fins:

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM

I have no idea why that double post thing happened.

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I have no idea why that double post thing happened.

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 10:10 PM

their database went blinky…

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 10:11 PM

The man takes that whole son of God thing way too seriously.

You need to diversify your news diet or something. You’d be funny if it wasn’t so sad that you actually believe this.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 10:13 PM

if HE doesn’t his followers sure do….

Ogabe’s smart enough to be wary of Jesus’ crowning trick….

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Mugabe on farms and Barry on GM….

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Indeed, if the jackboot fits..

clnurnberg on May 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM

If its any consolation, I’m sure the palins didn’t understand the joke.

benny shakar on May 10, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I wish I had some consolation over the fact that the Left doesn’t understand basic economics.

venividivici on May 10, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Terrye on May 10, 2009 at 9:48 PM

benny’s a guy? I thought that was a hermaphrodite!

venividivici on May 10, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Why? We have you, don’t we? You seem to be falling down on the job, dude.

AUINSC on May 10, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Funny stuff there, chief.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:55 PM

You should change your name to “Grow Brain Stem”.

venividivici on May 10, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Comedians like Wanda Sykes are almost literally a dime a dozen. They like to make headlines by being outrageous, but otherwise have as little relevance to everyday life as Baywatch does to Shakespeare. She belongs in the same category as Janeane Garofalo, who apparently can’t gain attention any other way than to play the race card by yelling “White Power” on stage at conservatives.

Thank you Ed. That struck a chord. Very true.

4shoes on May 10, 2009 at 10:19 PM

venividivici

And you should change your to hodie mihi, cras tibi

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 10:37 PM

And you should change your to hodie mihi, cras tibi

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 10:37 PM

OK, I’ll get right on that.

venividivici on May 10, 2009 at 10:44 PM

nothing much happened there that affects anyone’s life a single iota.

Ed, you couldn’t be more wrong. Obama had a choice here to either condemn Sykes out-of-bounds statements (by not smiling and making a stern face), or to approve of her statements (by smiling and laughing). He chose the latter. So now Rush Limbaugh and, by extension, all conservatives can now be de facto classified as terrorists!

We are teetering so close to the potential for a fascist regime, this could be the final straw to push the Administration over to that dark side.

I am worried.

stonemeister on May 10, 2009 at 10:51 PM

benny’s a guy? I thought that was a hermaphrodite!

venividivici on May 10, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Haha looks like venividivici is still churning out the enlightened discourse!

Seriously though guys, we all should listen to him. He’s a really successful businessman.

He promises.

crr6 on May 10, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Haha looks like venividivici is still churning out the enlightened discourse!

He promises.

crr6 on May 10, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Hey CCCP6 even an unsuccessful businessman is a better sell than Barack Shamwow O’bama and “how to get rich by writing fourteen autobios before you’re even 50″

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Haha looks like venividivici is still churning out the enlightened discourse!

He promises.

crr6 on May 10, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Cornhole Ram-Rodder 6,

What’s up?

I was hoping you’d killed yourself. No such luck for me, I guess.

venividivici on May 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Stupid is as stupid does, the real tragedy is that there is no cure for it. Stupid oozes from these people like pus from a fourniers gangrene sore.

The only cure is to amputate.

Spiritk9 on May 10, 2009 at 11:19 PM

What I find fascinating is that the media got all upset because Palin didn’t stop her stump speech in mid-sentence and denounce a man who supposedly said something “hateful” at a rally, but they aren’t going to mind that our president sat there with a grin on his face while Sykes spouted this clearly hateful stuff right in front of him.

29Victor on May 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM

29Victor on May 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM

well “hateful” in her sense was a heretical offering from a clinger whereas in Sykes’ case her harpying was Me$$iah approved.

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Didn’t they clean the cattle yard after this hate fest? I can smell their BS way out here in California….

DL13 on May 10, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Who sees the US as exceptionally bad in Obama’s administration? Seriously.

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Everyone, including His Lordship.

infidel4life on May 10, 2009 at 11:42 PM

infidel4life

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 11:50 PM

sven10077 on May 10, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Yes, that’s why I used the quotes around “hateful.” It was a comment that Palin probably didn’t even hear and what it turned out the person said wasn’t what the MSM reported (not sure anymore what it even was to be honest). Meanwhile Sykes was spewing her bile quite clearly right in front of “Mr. New Tone” and he just sat there grinning.

29Victor on May 10, 2009 at 11:50 PM

A terrorist is one who practices terrorism which is a policy intended to intimidate or cause terror. Obama certainly terrorized people in New York. Now, it might be an isolated incident, so he might not be a habitual terrorist, but he has caused terror for citizens in his own country.

InCali on May 10, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Sykes, who can be funny in movies, said something stupid. If we’re still talking about it tomorrow, the only person that benefits is Sykes. It makes the WHCD a lot more newsworthy than it should be, and perhaps by tomorrow we’ll all realize that nothing much happened there that affects anyone’s life a single iota.

I would agree that we shouldn’t pay enough attention to this idiocy to give it a longer shelf life than it deserves, but we do need to speak up and slap this idiot Sykes down. You can’t let stuff like this slide. It’s vile and foolish, but it sticks if you leave it unchallenged. After all, when the Progressive Guardians of All That is Good and Tolerant insult someone by calling them a terrorist, it affects some of the media-sozzled public like a priest breaking off in the middle of a sermon, to hurl a string of obscenities at someone sitting in the pews. Absolute Moral Authority makes a pretty good cudgel, if swung with enough hateful force.

I have no doubt that Rush can do an effective, and highly amusing, job of defending himself on his radio show, but it’s not enough for the rest of us to sit quietly while he takes care of business. This kind of vicious stupidity cannot be defeated by ignoring it to death… not when the people spewing it have limitless access to friendly microphones and cameras. It would speak well of people who disagree with Mr. Limbaugh’s politics, if they would raise their voices to denounce this calumny. It would speak poorly of them if they reserved their outrage only for sickening insults directed at those who share their politics.

We can demand a higher standard from our politicians and entertainers. Our combined anger is more powerful than any of them, including a President who should be made to deeply regret sitting there and smiling while a talentless “comedian” compared one of the citizens he serves to a terrorist butcher. That President should be reminded he is close friends with an actual terrorist, so he should have taken the opportunity to explain the difference between radio hosts and terrorists to Wanda Sykes. There is no reason Wanda Sykes should ever work in Hollywood again, and if we make it known to television and movie studios that products involving her will not be welcome in our homes, we can get her started on the fast food service career she is so eminently qualified for.

Doctor Zero on May 11, 2009 at 12:16 AM

I find it fascinating, though, that the media world and the White House shrieked when Rush said he hoped Obama would fail, but laughed at Sykes’ calling Rush a terrorist last night, including the President who felt so threatened by Rush that he criticized him by name in the first days of his presidency. If Rush had called Sykes the “20th terrorist” and wished kidney disease on her, I doubt that Obama would be laughing, and the media would fall all over themselves to rip him to shreds. But honestly, does the news of a double standard for conservatives really surprise anyone?

There’s a simple reason for Sykes’ comments and her self-Godwinization. The left, plainly put, does not truly think that a threat from terrorism exists. And like anything else in which they religiously disbelieve, they feel free to mock it. We’ve seen it on FOX’s Sunday night lineup for years (“American Dad” being the worst offender, but “Family Guy” and “The Simpsons” aren’t far behind, recently). To the left, humor and mockery of real threats that they think don’t exist are a goodthink cudgel, used to keep their base (and occasionally the middle) in line.

Compare their treatment of religion, especially Christianity. Contrast their treatment of Anthropogenic Global Warming.

Blacksmith on May 11, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Grow Fins on May 10, 2009 at 11:50 PM

You should join the thread on Intelligent Design, you’re solid evidence that it’s an unproven theory.

infidel4life on May 11, 2009 at 1:27 AM

Wanda Sykes? Who the heck is Wanda Sykes? And who cares what she or he says? Some freakin’ comedian. Really?!

JeffVader on May 11, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Thius thread was hijacked for a couple of hours.

Loxodonta on May 11, 2009 at 2:12 AM

From Wikipedia: Wanda Sykes (Although I had heard her interviewed once where the interviewer stated that she was a CIA Analyst and she didn’t correct it so who knows. I think I will listen to Rush’s show tomorrow. Should be good).
============================
“Sykes father served as a US Army colonel employed at the Pentagon, and her mother worked as a banker. She attended Arundel High School in Gambrills, Maryland, and went on to graduate from Hampton University where she earned a bachelor’s degree in marketing. After college, her first job was as a procurement officer with National Security Agency (NSA), where she worked for five years.

Sykes was married to David Hall from 1991 to 1998. In October 2008 in California she married her female partner, whom she met in 2006, and publicly came out in November at a same-sex marriage rally regarding Proposition 8 in Las Vegas that she is a lesbian and had just married.”

Bluehanky on May 11, 2009 at 3:08 AM

Another non-funny lib commedian. This little show she put on just confirms that the libs don’t care and never did care about 9/11. Especially our assclown pres!

Frances on May 11, 2009 at 5:20 AM

My daughter does that.

Mommypundit on May 11, 2009 at 6:37 AM

I don’t think I have even accidentally laughed at anything Wanda Sykes have said.

No wonder she plays a cartoon cow.

loudmouth883 on May 11, 2009 at 7:01 AM

I don’t think I have even accidentally laughed at anything Wanda Sykes has said.

No wonder she plays a cartoon cow.

loudmouth883 on May 11, 2009 at 7:02 AM

The story isn’t what Sykes said. The story is that Obama, who has a very tenuous idea of what it means to be the US President, laughed.

Stella451 on May 11, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Ed, this isn’t as simple as you stated. Its not that this moron said something tasteless. She said something decidedly unamerican and the President of the United States sat there, laughed and applauded.

Indicating that he also wishes an American Citizen dead.

No amount of spin can make his laughter and the fact that he continued to sit there, mean anything else.

If I were President, I would have either stopped her right there and had her leave, or I would have. Any leader with half a brain would do likewise.

dogsoldier on May 11, 2009 at 7:37 AM

The Democrats are making this easy on us. All the Republicans have to do is look serious, sober, and competent. Is that too much to ask?

gridlock2 on May 11, 2009 at 7:46 AM

We’re talking about the wrong joke. Dear Leader’s one liner about the kids taking AF1 for a joyride over Manhattan was far worse. Does he think 9-11 is fodder for jokes? Don’t think the folks in Manhattan think that way, then or now. As for new Supreme needing empathy, maybe the prez should grab some, too.

Kissmygrits on May 11, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Foxworthy is a southern ole boy knows how to make a buck.
More power to him. Not my favorite since guys like Rodney Dangerfield died. Note none of them use their platform to spew political hate like this woman.

johnnyU on May 11, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Compare the media response to Jackie Mason’s “Schwarze” dust-up. He probably shouldn’t have said that (I’m not fluent in Yiddish, so I don’t really know how derogatory it is intended to be), but was it really worse than the horrible things this woman said?

Seriously, to make a joke like that about someone’s daughter, WHILE THAT PERSON IS IN THE ROOM?! If Sarah Palin hadn’t had 100 times more class and decorum than Sykes, she’d have gotten up then and there and beat the bug-juice out of Sykes. Can you imagine if someone had made a Chelsea-Clinton-is-not-beautiful joke in front of Bill Clinton? Or, for that matter, in front of Bush? Does anyone think he’d have laughed? If he had, would he have gotten a pass (I’m not suggesting he should, in such a case)?

I seriously wonder what has become of our country when someone will get up in front of the President of the United States and say such vile and disgusting things. Then I see the President laugh, and I know what’s become of us. We’ve not only lost our religious faith, but our sense of human decency.

RegularJoe on May 11, 2009 at 9:21 AM

and Sykes had to bash Hillary too just because…
the Sojourner Truth statue comment was of course ridiculous since it was HILLARY who cowrote the damned legislation that put up that statue and last I checked Hill is pretty white…
if wanda or TOTUS has been at SOTBU like Hillary was they would have known that…
and of course Pelosi hates Hill and was as anti Hill as humanly possible and Sykes says Pelosi was a Hillary supporter yada yada arrgle…
and the comment TOTUS made that Hill is like Arlen Specter also pixxed me off since is she was she would have run as an Indie after the DEMS broke all our rules to give TOTUS the nomination
arrgle
at least Jennifer Loven of AP finally got to tramp it up for TOTUS,
I couldnt even read Trek reviews without hearing how like Spock TOTUS is, its insane

ginaswo on May 11, 2009 at 9:21 AM

The whole thing made me sick. There’s a place for good natured kidding. When it’s well meaning and between friends, it’s fun for everyone involved. But there was nothing good natured about any of this. Sykes and Obama weren’t well meaning and they weren’t talking about friends. What they did was hateful and childish.

Dee2008 on May 11, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Sykes should stick with the only two things she’s good at.
Being a black lesbian, and smell like rotten fish.
The rest leave to the professionals.

lasertex on May 11, 2009 at 10:57 AM

…the President who felt so threatened by Rush that he criticized him by name in the first days of his presidency.

Haha! Nice try spinning that one. The massively popular just-elected president is scared of a talk show host with one-third of his approval rating. Yeah, that’ll fly.

orange on May 11, 2009 at 11:28 AM

The 4 most successful comedians today….”

Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi.

Steve Z on May 11, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Perhaps Sykes and Obama are fully excused by the circumstance that I hope Sykes’s and Obama’s kidneys fail. If I can wish illness for Sykes and Obama, it seems fair to excuse their wishing illness for Limbaugh.

Kralizec on May 11, 2009 at 11:43 AM

The massively popular just-elected president, whose ratings are no better than any other president at this point in their tenure, is scared of a talk show host with one-third of his approval rating.

FIFY

Dee2008 on May 11, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Michelle Obama and Wanda Sykes are the new standards of women’s beauty?!

Eventually, somebody from the leftard would unashamedly claim it.

Trosp on May 11, 2009 at 1:59 PM