California heading towards collapse, auditor warns

posted at 10:55 am on May 8, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

On the eve of a series of referendums proposed to increase taxes on Californians, the Golden State’s legislative budget analyst warns that both the legislature and the governor have seriously underestimated the budget shortfall.  The state has a $23 billion gap even after the legislative compromise earlier this year supposedly eliminated the red ink and could default by July:

California could run out of money as soon as July, the Legislature’s chief budget analyst warned Thursday, as a new poll showed voters poised to reject five budget-related measures on the May 19 ballot.

If the propositions do not pass, the state could find itself as much as $23 billion short of the money it needs to pay its bills over the next year, according to a new forecast by Legislative Analyst Mac Taylor. The poll, from the Public Policy Institute of California, found that even as voter interest in the ballot measures rises, all are trailing except the sixth one — Proposition 1F, which would bar pay hikes for lawmakers in deficit years. …

Adding to the fiscal woes, the Obama administration is threatening to pull $6.8 billion in stimulus funds from California in a dispute over an earlier state budget cut.

“The Legislature is going to need to act promptly,” said state Department of Finance spokesman H.D. Palmer. “We have a fairly short window to get a lot done.”

Predictably, the political class has exploited this by warning of criminals running free in the street:

On Thursday, the administration advised law enforcement officials that it was preparing plans to commute the sentences of 38,000 state prison inmates, including all illegal immigrants. It also is considering closing some prisons and sending inmates to county jails, according to a copy of the proposal obtained by The Times.

Under the plan, 19,000 illegal immigrants — 11% of state prisoners — would be turned over to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency after having their sentences commuted. An additional 19,000 “relatively low-risk offenders” would have their sentences commuted as well.

Earlier in the week, the administration warned local officials that it may raid their budgets for $2 billion and close firehouses.

Ah, yes, because California doesn’t spend money on anything but police and fire departments.  The Governator didn’t pledge six billion dollars for stem-cell research, for instance, or other non-essential nonsense.  This is a typical, extortive, dog-in-the-manger ploy by Schwarzenegger and the Sacramento elite.  Either give us your money, they warn, or we’ll sic the criminals on you.

Instead, California should concentrate on ridding themselves of the excess spending and regulation that the state has built over the last several decades, and concentrate on sustaining growth.  The state could rake in billions in leases and taxes and create tens of thousands of jobs by allowing oil exploration and production off its coast, for instance.  Arnold could lead a charge to lower business taxes in order to encourage investment, including the sky-high sales taxes that depress consumption.  Most importantly, they could start getting serious about trimming non-essential spending from the state budget and start shedding bureaucrats instead of driving business out of state.

Instead, the state prefers to set criminals free to punish its citizens for telling Sacramento that they spend too much money.  Maybe Escape from LA wasn’t so far-fetched after all.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Let. It. Burn.

Nero

acat on May 8, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I finally became a registered voter and will vote to the best of my abillities to limit the power of the government in my state of California. It may be a losing battle, considering how far down the hole we’ve become. But I will go headforth into the voting booths of justice and have my say.

(ACORN willing /sarc)

FontanaConservative on May 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Very good point about the oil exploration and pumping. The state could go back to making a lot of money on that.

Here’s the deal in microcosm. People in California who make a lot more money than I do have their kids’ medical care (and even some of their own) paid for by my tax dollars — while I maintain insurance and pay my own out-of-pocket costs. My insurance premiums and co-pays also go to covering the providers’ costs, which aren’t fully covered by what the state programs will pay them for services.

If I weren’t upside down on my mortgage today, I’d already be out of here. California’s budget problem can be summed up in four words: health and welfare entitlements. Everything else is a red herring. Police, fire, teacher salaries, pensions — none of these are unaffordable. It’s every second person here being on the dole in some way that’s killing California.

If California eliminated all state health programs except state support to a limited list of public hospitals, and made the various forms of “maintenance” (welfare) disbursement contingent on proven disability, and on longevity of residence and history as a California taxpayer, the state would make up that $23 billion shortfall in less than three years. The number of people from outside California, especially from foreign countries (and NOT just Mexico), who come here for the purpose of getting enrolled in state welfare programs, is staggering. You can even find foreign-language “courses” in how to do it.

If California faced down the “environmentalists” to improve its badly outdated utilities infrastructure (especially water and power), and took some other tax and regulatory measures to become more business-friendly, it would make a similarly substantial difference. Improving the business — and hence revenue — environment, and ending the entitlement programs, would enable California to pay competitive salaries to police, firefighters, and teachers, and keep their pension funds inviolate — as they should be.

J.E. Dyer on May 8, 2009 at 3:13 PM

With the unemployment rate at 8.9 and rising Californians will start committing the crimes that illegals won’t be able to commit once they have been deported.

thomasaur on May 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Unemployment is at 10.1 percent in California currently.

Ernest on May 8, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Let it collapse and sink, then Arnie, Boxer and Feinstein can ride it out to sea.

rplat on May 8, 2009 at 3:28 PM

How is it that when Californians have MORE THAN ENOUGH signatures on petitions to recall Schwartzenkennedy, Feinstein, Boxer and 1/2 of the State’s Legislature, Secretary of State, Debra Bowen, is allowed to ignore these petitions for a recall election.
Politics as usual in Commiefornia.
Personally, I have less and less sympathy when this state catches fire, especially in leftist areas like Santa Barbara.

nelsonknows on May 8, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Assy. speaker Karen Bass said 5-7 that even if the props. fail she did not think there would be a move to raise taxes even more. Did she see the light? Nope, could not raise taxes because the repubs. would probably not go along. So even though they just raised three different taxes two mos. ago she and her ass clown friends would be okay with raising them even more. These @#!%&* are making me kwazy!

arnold ziffel on May 8, 2009 at 3:47 PM

The California socialist legislators, and knuckle headed governor, just can’t seem to comprehend, that the people have had it, with foolish social engineering. The state must CUT back, and NOT taxed forward.

byteshredder on May 8, 2009 at 3:56 PM

1a thru 1e, not just NO. HELL NO! These numbnuts need to stop the shell game and make some real cuts….first with the unions and the state pensions. I only wish 1f was to remove all legislature pay until these idiots balance a budget. Then we would see some action.

jbh45 on May 8, 2009 at 3:56 PM

The current polls are showing that the big tea parties in CA aren’t to be ignored. 55% are against the propositions.

Fear mongering didn’t work.

AnninCA on May 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM

OT: Chryslers lenders back down under “enormous pressure and machinery of the US government.”

BadgerHawk on May 8, 2009 at 4:00 PM

United States of America
1776 – 2009
Rest in Peace.

TheBigOldDog on May 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Maybe California should be divided into two states.

JohnJ on May 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Maybe California should be divided into two states.

JohnJ on May 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM

state of denial (the buearacrats) and the state of confusion (everyone else).

jbh45 on May 8, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Has anyone considered that Boys from Chicago would like to just take over the State of California government with a new federal agency, and appoint another CZAR to run it? I’m convinced it’s all unbridled lust for power and all bets are off.

sannhet on May 8, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Let. It. Burn.

Nero

acat on May 8, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Santa Barbara

maverick muse on May 8, 2009 at 4:18 PM

BadgerHawk on May 8, 2009 at 4:00 PM

United States of America
1776 – 2009
Rest in Peace.

TheBigOldDog on May 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Oh, no, Joe!
Say it ain’t so.

maverick muse on May 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM

This is a typical, extortive, dog-in-the-manger ploy by Schwarzenegger and the Sacramento elite. Either give us your money, they warn, or we’ll sic the criminals on you.

Yep, same ol’ same ol’, this type of tactic has been working on dipshit voters here for years.

infidel4life on May 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM

California would do us all a favor by returning to Mexico and becoming part of Baja Notre!

Hal-9000 on May 8, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Overall, California is a deep royal blue state despite its enclave’s of red. It is run horribly ineffeciently by horribly deranged elected officials and representatives. They’d sooner legalize drugs and tax the hell out of sales too before they’d give tax breaks to large corporations and other businesses and put the ludicrous notion of legalizing drugs to bed forever. Near where I live is a city that has recently voter-approved several tax hikes that currently have their total sales tax at 9.75%. The voters approved it all. If the California special elections tax increase passes, it will be 10.75% sales tax. Yet, that city is pushing for it and the voters are trending towards being for the state vote tax increase. I refuse to shop there now as it is. And I am dumbfounded by the voters there. But, they are a majority immigrant population too, just barely.

Bottom line, the citizen voters of California have brought this on themselves. There are numerous factors. Some of the factors are sharply politically incorrect to speak about and damn you if you mention them in any public forum. Well, I’m damned anyways, so I don’t care. I’ve lived in California my entire life, and I’m a deuce away from the half-century mark. I’ve been a registered voter in California for 30 years. I have never missed one single election. Ever. The upcoming special election will be no exception. And, I will be voting NO on everything, except 1F. Local polls trend that way for the bulk of the voters as well, except in the city I mentioned above. So, imagine my surprise given I usually am in the tiny minority of voters. But, I also think the polls will be proven incorrect once the ballots are all tallied and I believe that most of the propositions will pass.

The more this state is flooded by immigrants who are, or become, able to vote, the worse it gets. I have witnessed it with my own eyes. By ‘the worse it gets’, I mean, the more California is becoming like the places our massive immigrant voter population comes from. From appearance, to smell, to vandalism, to filthy dirty, to neighborhood segregation… that is defended to the death.

Mainly, California is quickly and overwhelmingly becoming like any typical Latin American and/or Asian 3rd world country.

The way California is run for the most part, who it is run by for the most part, and how the citizens simply bend over and take it from the state for the most part, entire cities are becoming segregated and it’s each city/neighborhood for themselves. In many large suburbs of Los Angeles for example, the signs are not even in English anymore. Not even English subtitles. If you’re not Korean, Vietnamese, or especially Latino, you’re in a very small minority. As long as the migrants have the bare essentials, they’re still far better off here than they were from whence they came.

It’s far more complicated than that of course, and it’s not simply racial, but it is a huge factor. It’s also coupled with a devoutly liberal and green ‘native’ populace who would cut off their nose to spite their face rather than go with anything that may have any possibility of harming the environment, especially oil and gas drilling, even if it would enrich the state and benefit everyone.

Tax and Spend welfare doctrine (to a morbidly obese excess) is the California way. It’s what it was like where these people came from. And I’m not even refering to the massive illegal immigrant population of California who is being given billions upon billions of dollars for the taking asking. I’m born and raised here and I and my children don’t qualify for what illegal immigrants have freely given to them. From free medical care, to free education, to subsidized housing, to food stamps, to sharply reduced utilities costs, to straight up cash money.

California’s death-throws started decades ago and has gotten worse year after year with no slowing down. California used to be able to afford the way it is run, but has taxed and fee’d so many corporations and large scale manufacturers away and across the borders. By and large, they’ve scattered to the winds whether out of state or out of country. The main exception is bio-tech and computer tech. They are the only ones who get the big tax breaks… at the cost of the remaining businesses in some other line of work who are making up the difference in increased taxes and fee’s. But, bio-tech and computer-tech actually makes very little money for California. It’s the prestige of ‘Silicon Valley’ and ‘Home of the cure for polio’ or some silly nonsense along those lines that that led the California politicians to make it this way. But since the exodus of corporations has begun to take its toll, now even the bio and computer tech corporations are starting to feel the pinch since there are far fewer large scale operations making up the tax burdens to take up the slack.

The people of California just may reject the special election coming up in two weeks, but I don’t think they will reject them all. Even if they do, that doesn’t mean those propositions won’t be back in some other form and by some other name in future elections, and they will pass eventually.

California is utterly screwed, and it’s too late to do anything about it. It will never change either. That is why it’s too late.

SilverStar830 on May 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM

YEAH LET THE STATE REPRESENTING 13% OF THE GDP THAT VOTED DIFFERENTLY THAN YOU BURN

YEAHHHHHH

Dave Rywall on May 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM

YEAHHHHHH

Dave Rywall on May 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM

They’re burning because they vote stupid locally as well as nationally. Why not let ‘em?

DarkCurrent on May 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM

My prediction is that California is going to melt down. The Feds will try and bail it out – but it’s going to be contraversial for the other states who aren’t going to want to support it.

Sadly – California isn’t the only state on the ropes. The more I see of this – the more THIS looks probable to me.

Call me a whacko – but there are just TOO MANY elements of a perfect storm spinning around on Planet Bob right now. You have to expect a catastrophe of some sort in the next few years in the middle east, Korea – perhaps even Europe. You have to expect the U.S. will get involved and … news flash – we are out of money. Meanwhile the flood of immigrants continues, we refuse to drill for oil, refuse to build nuclear power plants and hamstring our industry for no logical reason with “Global Warming” regulations. We continue to spend as if there is no tomorrow and will soon erect a healthcare system that we can’t afford. The taxes are going to spin out of control …

And loyal States – will seek some sort of means of survival – to get away from the debt.

I would not doubt if you see a state like Alaska split from the U.S. and then seek protection from Russia. It doesn’t look good.

I thought this Russian professor was a whacko when he first said it – now he’s beginning to look like a prophet to me.

HondaV65 on May 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM

The wacko part of that plan is where we split into 6 separate countries.

I see 2 countries, but the one representing the former “blue states” will be decidedly less contiguous than the one representing the former “red states”.

teke184 on May 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM

These politicians keep it up, there is going to be a recall of everyone in Sacramento.

GarandFan on May 8, 2009 at 5:38 PM

As William T. Sherman once said of California:

“We fought a war to get California and we’ll probably have to fight another war to get rid of it.”

PackerBronco on May 8, 2009 at 5:44 PM

This is a true story. Hand on the bible true…

I’m not a survivalist, per se, but I was a Boyscout and even common sense dictates, ‘always be prepared’. Hope for the best; Prepare for the worst. Therefore, I keep a minimum two-month supply of MRE’s and Potable water on hand for my family. Additionally, I buy ammunition for our guns usually by the case. Over time I donate the MRE’s to homeless shelters and the like, and I re-stock fresh. We also go target shooting and plinking frequently and I restock the ammo once it is more or less half depleted.

There are no new laws on the books limiting ammo sales and purchases, YET. However, there has been such a massive and sustained run on ammunition buying that you can’t buy it by the case anywhere in San Diego anymore. Furthermore, stores are limiting sales to a certain number of boxes per year now so everyone can have a supply. The average limit is… 20 boxes. Twenty! As private businesses, they’re now keeping databases to keep track of your purchases so you don’t exceed the limit. If you want to buy a case of ammo, you have to visit several stores and accumalate. Of course, with hoarding comes price gouging and ammo is extremely expensive now even in common calibers.

Additionally, MRE’s are almost impossible to find on the shelf anymore. I had to order my last 2-month supply of MRE’s and potable water on the internet from out of state. There was a waiting list and it took longer than usual to get them shipped to me. Again, the reason was a huge sustained spike in sales. Again, hoarding. And naturally, it cost me a lot more this time around as well.

If that’s not a vivid tell of where peoples heads are at and where vast numbers of people see things heading and how people are preparing for the worst, I don’t know what is.

My advice to everyone I know is… buy what you need now because the shelf-life is about 3-5 years for the food and water (MRE’s can go 7-10 years if you keep them cold) and the ammo is much longer lasting, and you might not be able to get it at all when you suddenly realize how unprepared you are IF the you-know-what really hits the fan. It’s not paranoia. It’s simply just all too close to being our reality, especially if some huge natural disaster or calamity befalls our country in addition to what’s already going on.

Ammunition and Emergency supplies hoarding… very quiet hoarding before anything has actually happened, to boot. That scares me a little.

SilverStar830 on May 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM

HondaV65 on May 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Interesting theory by Mr. Panarin. I do expect some states to attempt to secede from the union, and splits along ethnic lines are sure to come as well. But proud red states like Texas and Montana won’t submit to an external power without a full scale war. And Mexico can’t even control itself, much less a large chunk of the US South.

infidel4life on May 8, 2009 at 5:53 PM

And when we go bankrupt who does Obama appoint as the bankruptcy referee?

{^_^}

herself on May 8, 2009 at 5:56 PM

SilverStar830 on May 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Interesting post. I really enjoyed the details. My friend moved from FL to LA, and he noticed all the different ethic groups live largely together. He lives in Pasadena and I think there’s a lot of Armenians there. I told him he’d miss FL, which is utterly normal compared to CA, even Miami-Dade county.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on May 8, 2009 at 5:58 PM

SilverStar830 on May 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM

How many boxes of ammo do you think you’ll need after the shooting starts?

DarkCurrent on May 8, 2009 at 6:20 PM

This is what unchecked liberalism gets us, ladies and gentlemen. LOL.

Ryan Gandy on May 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM

HondaV65 on May 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM

This Russian Prof theory is interesting, but I would have to agree with infidel4life about states like Texas being control buy Mexico. There No way the people of Texas would ever let that happen.
There have be times in my life when I felt I was born at the wrong time in history. The day the Mexican army comes across the Old Rio Grande River?………Well, I was just reborn!

try again later on May 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM

YEAHHHHHH

Dave Rywall on May 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM

DarkCurrent on May 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM
—–
It’s so awesome that you want 37 million fellow Americans to suffer rather than root for them. You’re a great citizen.

Dave Rywall on May 8, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Rywall,

Not ending this thread on that.

We 37 Million will be held Accountable for OUR ACTIONS.

I know, hardly a liberal concept.

On a better note, I got 300 rounds of 45ACP delivered yesterday from Cabelas. Benn on order about 2 months.

Jimmy Doolittle on May 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Dave Rywall on May 8, 2009 at 7:20 PM

A big chuck of that 37 million are not Americans, they’re illegal invaders, being welcomed here with open arms by clueless dimwits like you.

infidel4life on May 8, 2009 at 9:11 PM

SilverStar830 on May 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM

With counties in California declaring that they will not prosecute fairly major crimes to save money, quiet hoarding would scare me more than a “little”. If California gets into any real “state of lawlessness” with Summer riots I don’t see Cali holding together. The riots of 1992 may look tame to this Summer.

Uh, Washington State is closed, sorry.

GunRunner on May 8, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Dave Rywall on May 8, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Self inflicted suffering is hard to “root for”. Liberals took them down this path based on their lies and now the bill comes due. Pelosi/Cali State Government/Socialism is to blame. Conservatives are now trying to save the rest of the Country. Any ideas instead of criticism?

GunRunner on May 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM

As a Cali native I see it this way; the the political class is catering to the rich and doing their best to drive out the middle class while maintaining their servant class. They want the illegals to do their menial labor while they enjoy their Cali lifestyle of sun, surf and sand.

Party members, meet your proles. Capitalists need not apply nor stay.

NTropy on May 8, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Maybe he’s looking for a place to put the Gitmo crowd where they can’t complain about it.

jeanie on May 8, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Jimmy Doolittle on May 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM

You sound a little light on the 45 there. Let me know and I’ll load up a thousand for ya.

Fighton03 on May 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM

jeanie on May 8, 2009 at 11:46 PM

see my post to jimmy…..

Fighton03 on May 9, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Hannity had a short segment on last night where he went over the water vs minnow story, and the minnow won. A Judge shut the water off to the farming areas, to rpoduct I think it was called the delta smelt, and now about 80,000 are out of work … Plus where will the food that was produced now come from?

tarpon on May 9, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Party members, meet your proles. Capitalists need not apply nor stay.

NTropy on May 8, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I live in Cali and this is my take as well. The way we are heading all that will be left in 20 years will be the extreme wealthy and illegals.

jbh45 on May 9, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Oh gee, I’m stumped. What ever could we cut before Police and Fire?

How about several of these:

California Broadband Initiative
California Coastal Commission
California Council for the Humanities
California Cultural and Historical Endowment
California Digital Library
California Museum for History, Women, and the Arts
….etc…etc…etc…etc…
Summer School for the Arts, California State
Water Quality Control Boards, Regional
Water Resources Control Board
Water Resources, Department of
Women, Commission on the Status of

mojo on May 8, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Way to go mojo… This proliferation of bureaus and boards could be controlled if the Legislature had to include a ‘poison pill’ that would shut them down after a few years, unless renewed by vote for another period. At least there would be a chance to stop these Immortal Institutions and their drain on the budget.

Uniblogger on May 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Dave Rywall on May 8, 2009 at 7:20 PM

its just KKKALIFORNIA’S CHICKENS COMING HOME TO ROOST!!

and we’re all for that!!!

right4life on May 9, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Dave Rywall on May 8, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Why would I root for demonstrated idiots? If they’re suffering it’s because of their own continual foolish choices, just as most of us suffer from foolish choices. It’s through suffering consequences that we learn, as well as seeing what happens to others who make stupid choices.

DarkCurrent on May 9, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I am glad I got out when I did and an now happily back in home sweet home Alabama.

California could raise plenty of revenue through oil, gold and timber sales but those are off limits while all that valuable timber just burns every year.

I don’t place all the blame in Sacramento though they deserve a large share of it, the people keep approving insane bond spending measures every election. They approved 10 billion for high speed rail in November even though the budget crisis was well known at the time. They also voted threw the stem cell research bill, not Arnie or the legislature. California’s initiative process certainly has its bad sides and should be used as a model for other states that might consider a similar process. It can be a form of mob rule democracy so be forewarned that its not all its cut out to be.

I could have dealt with the sales tax increase since it is voluntary to an extent but the car tag and income tax increase on top of it were too much so I took my business and left. California will no longer get any tax money from this goat, no sales, car, property, or income taxes. I did what many more are doing voted with my feet and ran as fast as I could.

goat on May 9, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Consider this.
Stop working,move out to New Mexico, Arizona,Nevada and start over. Less is more,no worries about the idiot state let it implode. There are tons of empty houses all across the Nation that you can lease to buy cheap.If you have skills just remove them from mexinofornicate and let it sink.

Do an Atlas Shrugged on the twits.

Col.John Wm. Reed on May 9, 2009 at 6:37 PM

The California GOP is obsessed with homosexuality, abortion, and mandatory “voluntary” school prayer. Those are, to them, the overriding issues.

The illegal alien invasion? High taxes? The regulatory nightmare? Hundreds upon hundreds of agencies with conflicting rules? Good heavens, man! We can’t worry about that when there’s homos and unChristians to sorry about and scapegoat!

I put California in my rear-view mirror in July of 2005. When I fly out to visit my mother in Palm Desert, I get antsy to get back on the plane within 3 days of getting there. The place makes me cringe.

friendlygrizzly on May 9, 2009 at 11:57 PM

California is an utter failure in liberal policies, but the liberal media paint it as a result of the crashed economy brought on by the Bush administration. Of course Bush saved the economy after 911 with tax cuts. The housing bubble that burst was caused in large part by liberal policies to put people into homes that couldn’t afford them.

Having said all that, how much of California’s problems could have been avoided, or at least delayed, by drilling for oil reserves off of California’s coast? Oh, but we can’t do that. Global warming and economic disaster, etc., etc.

The whole country has gone crazy and is following California into a deep hole. Will the truth be heard in time? I pray so, but I’m not optimistic.

Doesn’t mean we quit telling it though.

Ordinary1 on May 10, 2009 at 12:21 AM

They got what they deserved.

You’d think they’d have gotten the message by now that having a small percent of the state supporting everybody else in the spirit of ‘bubble up’ Socialist-Liberal policies just doesn’t work.

But no. Most will continue to blame Bush and Wall Street and continue voting for Country Club Republicans and Democrats.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 10, 2009 at 1:27 AM

It couldn’t of happened to a nicer state. Paradise destroyed by Democrats and liberalism. Will the rest of the country suffer a similar fate?

Miwagi on May 10, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Frankly, the propositions to increase taxes WILL fail, resoundingly.

Let the Feds deal.

AnninCA on May 10, 2009 at 1:35 PM

They spend $10+ billion a year on illegals. I’m thinkin’ it costs more to keep the ones runnin’ loose than the ones in prison, so letting them all out is just going to increase their deficit.

darwin-t on May 10, 2009 at 7:01 PM

MEXICO CLAIMS IT AS THERES LET THEM HAVE IT SOLONG ARNOLD

wade underhile on May 10, 2009 at 8:41 PM

There have been some resolutions lately that restrict how the legislators can influence the budget and how they can move money around.

Frankly, the more they do this sort of thing the more that kind of legislation becomes relevant. Ideally, priority services should have priority in the budget. Police, fire department, prisons, roads, water treatment, power, etc.

All of that gets paid for first. If there’s money left over then the smart thing would be to pay the debt down. But if they want to blow it on more social programs fine. But the core services get priority. And if there’s no money left over for their social programs and only core services can get paid for.

TOUGH. Core services are not negotiable. They are required for order and safety. Everything else is relatively a luxury.

Karmashock on May 11, 2009 at 2:17 AM

It seems like yesterday that Arnold got elected saying that the legislators were addicted to spending. I guess he has been spending too much time with his in-laws.

jeffn21 on May 11, 2009 at 9:18 AM

To those who think RINOs are better than nothing, consider the Governor of California

Without the RINO governor they would have crashed before Obama. It could have changed the last election at various levels

Now, Obama will soothe their excesses with out money

entagor on May 11, 2009 at 10:09 AM