Video: Senate Republicans hit Obama on Gitmo

posted at 9:29 am on May 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

This video comes from the Senate Republican Conference, and has more value for what it says about the politics of Gitmo than what’s included in the video itself. The SRC made it into a “coming attractions” preview, but what’s coming isn’t attractive at all:

None of this is new information, of course, not even for those who support Barack Obama’s decision to close Gitmo’s detention center and do … er … something with its prisoners.  In fact, what it demonstrates that the Obama administration made a big mistake in committing to a Gitmo closure without having any idea where it would put the terrorists.  Obama assumed that all of the international critics demanding Gitmo’s closure would happily invite hardened terrorists to live with them, but so far Europe has agreed to take a grand total of one detainee.  Yemen wants their 97 back, but only so they can get set free to rejoin terrorist networks worldwide. Europe told Obama on his grand tour that if these terrorists were so safe, the US could admit them into our own country — which is probably what will have to happen with most of them.

Again, most of this is already known.  The interesting point of this video is that the SRC sees this turning into a point of vulnerability for Obama.  They’re attacking on Gitmo, after Republicans have been on the defensive over it for the last several years.  The clear sense that the Obama administration has no plan helps make this a liability for the White House, and the SRC seems intent on ensuring that everyone sees it.

Comments

Can’t watch the video, but I’m a bit pleased with any GOP attack on The Precedent and his policies.

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 9:32 AM

attack…attack…attack

RedSoxNation on May 7, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Hell hath no fury like a Conservative scorned.

BobMbx on May 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Good video. Not too long, gets the point across quite well.

4shoes on May 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM

get some Senator… curbstompings are in order…

stlpatriot on May 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Just release them into American society, what could possibly go wrong?

Yet another sign that Ogabe and his minions have no clue what they are doing on a daily basis. A lot of innocent people are going to get killed because of these stupid antics.

Bishop on May 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Bringing ANY of these terrorists to America is a violation of federal law, and an impeachable offense. The republicans should be threatening Obama with this fact.

Rebar on May 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM

what happened with Cheney’s request for Memo declassification?

surely Bush left some leakers of his own in these departments.

jp on May 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I can’t watch the video either, but the GOP needs to start hammering Obama on everything. He’s past the 100 day mark. The honeymoon is over. If they’re powerless to stop his agenda(and let’s be frank, they are), the least they can do is let us know they’re opposed to it.

Doughboy on May 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM

the Chicago solution: send them back to Yemen and tragically on the way back the plane crashes in the Ocean due to mechanical failures.

jp on May 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM

No use.

The people don’t care. What a shame.

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

feel good politics

stormin1961 on May 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

what about a territory like Guam or Puerto Rico?

jp on May 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Survival optional” in Jewish World Review by Thomas Sowell:

The great Supreme Court justice Oliver Wendell Holmes said that law is not some “brooding omnipresence in the sky.” It is a set of explicit rules by which human beings structure their lives and their relationships with one another.

Those who choose to live outside those laws, whether terrorists or pirates, can be— and have been— shot on sight. Squeamishness is neither law nor morality. And moral exhibitionism is beneath contempt, when it sacrifices the safety of those who live within the law for the sake of self-satisfied preening, whether in editorial offices or in the White House.

petefrt on May 7, 2009 at 9:45 AM

No use.

The people don’t care. What a shame.

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

You’re too young to be so cynical. Leave that to me.

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 9:46 AM

what about a territory like Guam or Puerto Rico?
jp on May 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM

How about someplace warm such as Mt. Redoubt in Alaska?

Bishop on May 7, 2009 at 9:47 AM

How about someplace warm such as Mt. Redoubt in Alaska?

Bishop on May 7, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I’m thinking Alcatraz…

…as is.

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM

How about someplace warm such as Mt. Redoubt in Alaska?

Bishop on May 7, 2009 at 9:47 AM

How about the White House?

Loxodonta on May 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM

jp on May 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Good idea, but why waste a perfectly good airplane? Find a rusty old scow in need of scuttling, load ‘em up and send them east. Through the Bermuda Triangle, if it’s convenient. And it is.

iurockhead on May 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Drop em off in Juarez with ‘Via la Policia’ tattooed on their foreheads.

Limerick on May 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 9:32 AM

I must have missed the memo:
Why do people on HA refer to the One too black to fail as “the Precedent” instead of referring to the office he currently disgraces??

Right_of_Attila on May 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Ladygray

I suppose. Could be the week straight of rainy overcast weather.

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 9:54 AM

I’m thinking Alcatraz…
…as is.
ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM

These guys are from the hot middle east, we should send them someplace that is just as warm:

Bishop on May 7, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Pennsylvania Rep. John Burtha has already invited them to stay among his–as he says–less-than-intelligent constituents.

jgapinoy on May 7, 2009 at 10:02 AM

what about a territory like Guam or Puerto Rico?

jp on May 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Racist.

mankai on May 7, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Send them to Chicago. They could stay at Rev Wright’s new mansion.

RMR on May 7, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I’m kind of resigned to the position that Obama skates until the next round of planes hit some buildings or dirty bombs go off in a few American cities.

Just say your prayers. I’m a Christian, so I know where I’ll end up. I just don’t want my loved ones to suffer. And I just wish Obama and Dems felt the same way–but they don’t care.

BuckeyeSam on May 7, 2009 at 10:07 AM

It would be better if these vids were made by a third party.

toliver on May 7, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Only way this works is after the next attack. Until then, the American imbecile public will just continue to drool over Obama in between American Idol episodes. In a way I’m happy this country is being destroyed, serves the people right for what they’ve done.

angryed on May 7, 2009 at 10:10 AM

No use.

The people don’t care. What a shame.

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

People won’t care until the terrorist moves in next door. The good news.
The FBI may be watching the terrorists and YOU. I will make up some yard signs that read: “I voted for Obama and all I got was this lousy terrorist neighbor”.

Texas has a system where you can see where the sex offenders live. The Feds need to set-up the same system for Gitmo prisoners that are released.

izoneguy on May 7, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Obama has no plan? Say it ain’t so.

MarkTheGreat on May 7, 2009 at 10:17 AM

if we get attacked again, after he makes all these idiot moves, it will get ugly.

loud and angry blaming of Obama and the Dems in the face of a terror attack could tear this country apart

jp on May 7, 2009 at 10:17 AM

jp on May 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Better yet–offer the Yemenis early release in September, give them a rickety old sailboat to sail to Florida, and release them the day a hurricane bears down on eastern Cuba. Blub, blub, oopsies…

Steve Z on May 7, 2009 at 10:20 AM

blatantblue

We’ve had the dreary rains here too…it’s nearly as bad as Seattle.

Right_of_Attila

Because he is a “precedent”…everyone says so…so, The Precedent is a play on words.

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM

No one cares about this. No one is paying attention. They’ve all forgotten about 9/11.

The American people and the Precedent have bigger fish to fry like putting Bush and Cheney in prison.

Knucklehead on May 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM

jp on May 7, 2009 at 10:17 AM

as long as they hit a blue area who cares? I wouldn’t call for war, its just those liberal chickens coming home to roost.

let the libs defend their country…and if not..let them get the results of their actions..

right4life on May 7, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Bishop on May 7, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Ah…so we should give them the up-close-and-personal tour…I could like that.

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM

without having any idea where it would put the terrorists.

Well, lets give them a couple of bricks of gold and send them here.

csdeven on May 7, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Bishop on May 7, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I was thinking somewhere warmer.

LibTired on May 7, 2009 at 10:45 AM

right4life on May 7, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I don’t support this sentiment even on the surface (a dead American is a dead American no matter what twisted suicidal anti-American liberal nonsense he or she supports), but a reminder to those who wish bad things on “blue areas”… a fair number of real red people live in “blue areas”.

LibTired on May 7, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Ladygray

Rainy days are cool once in a while
Curl up with a “friend”
Watch a movie
Drink or screw or read or be blue

But it’s been like 7 or 8 days of this weather! THAT’S torture!

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 10:52 AM

LibTired on May 7, 2009 at 10:48 AM

policies have consequences…and its OUR FAULT that we’re being hit…Obama should just apologize when they hit us again, and make us change our bathrooms so our toilets point away from mecca…

in our last several wars we were betrayed by the left…why go to fight for them? its their country, let them defend it.

right4life on May 7, 2009 at 10:53 AM

You’re too young to be so cynical. Leave that to me.

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 9:46 AM

A certain past generation has left the current one nothing but the three D’s (Debt, Despair, Downfall).

Those of us who aren’t cynical are just deluded :p

amkun on May 7, 2009 at 10:54 AM

right4life on May 7, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Because I still don’t want my family, neighbors and fellow citizens to die screaming while the enemy shouts Allahu Akbar.

Look… a lot of these pea brained idealists actually believe that renaming the “War on Terror” to an “Overseas Contingency Operation” will mean we are safe by the “power of suggestion” alone. I read it. They’re nimrods. And their liberal leaders are much more cunning and evil than their feeble narrow minds could ever imagine.

But I love this country and I don’t believe in waving the white flag to anyone, least of all the libs. And I’ll be f***ed if it’s gonna be to men who sleep with goats.

LibTired on May 7, 2009 at 11:00 AM

No use.

The people don’t care. What a shame.

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

You’re too young to be so cynical. Leave that to me.

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 9:46 A

Second that!!! Let us cougars be cynical, not you, dude! We need you fresh and sassy!

catlady on May 7, 2009 at 11:08 AM

How about housing them right next to Sidwell?

drjohn on May 7, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Ok, why don’t we put the Gitmo guys on a cruise ship and send them past the Somali pirates? Let the two groups fight it out….

catlady on May 7, 2009 at 11:09 AM

But it’s been like 7 or 8 days of this weather! THAT’S torture!

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Cheer up! I’m the only doom and gloom member of HA. We had the same weather in Chicago last week, my basement even flooded, but the sun has been out for 3 days straight now.

There is hope.

Knucklehead on May 7, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Personally, I dont see the next target in a blue state – I see it somewhere where Obambi won’t care about it, like Texas, or the south. But it a terrorist attack is anywhere but in the northeast (ie New York), or maybe Chicago, Obambi won’t care that much…. cynical I know, but there you go…

catlady on May 7, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Yeah, blantantblue, you need to come sit on my porch eat BBQ and drink margaritas, dude…. it’s going to be 97 today!! (We can even shoot guns off my back porch)

catlady on May 7, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Can we send their welfare checks directly to fertilizer and nail outlets or will the Gitmos have to be middlemen?

jukin on May 7, 2009 at 11:22 AM

you’re a catlady after my own heart. Bbq sounds sassy

I worry about the next attack. Three of my cousins were smart enough to move into manhattan AFTER 911
-_- come on, you know? Oh well can’t live in fear. I’ll admit when I go to Yankee stadium I feel dread for a few minutes at first.

The shut ins like ap will survive. If need be he will eat his cats

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM

So he changes his mind again; so what? He can get away with anything.

tgillian on May 7, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Hey perhaps when these Gitmo guys are released they will seek out employment as a community organizer or something.

Bulldogger on May 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM

blatantblue

Yeah…it’s been that long here as well. I just wanna take a nap with my kitty…watch a movie…visit my friend Jack…

…this is some kind of cosmic water torture or something…

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Those of us who aren’t cynical are just deluded :p

amkun on May 7, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Perhaps the deluded will be able to correct this mess. :)

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Crazy, right?

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Crazy, right?

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 11:59 AM

He is freakin’ insane!!!

ohmigosh…I just peaked out the window of the office next door and <strong>*gasp* the rain has stopped and there’s a little sun peaking through.

I hope it lasts until I get off work. I don’t have a window in my office.

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:03 PM

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:03 PM

No window?

No wonder you drink everyday! :p

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:06 PM

No wonder you drink everyday! :p

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:06 PM

You mean you don’t? Oh yeah, I forgot, you’re a lightweight. ;p

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:09 PM

stupid video geared for the echo-chamber

if the GOP really cared, they’d focus more on the puppet-masters behind Obama and less on this ‘left vs. right’ canard

gatorboy on May 7, 2009 at 12:09 PM

You mean you don’t? Oh yeah, I forgot, you’re a lightweight. ;p

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:09 PM

I’ll be tonight!

Enjoy alcohol while it lasts. i’m sure it’ll be banned when Shari’a law comes around. :9

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Possible sites of future attacks:

Wall Street – dirty bomb (shuts down US economy for months)

NY Subway – Biological agent (cripples transportation in most populated US city and financial capitol)

Sears Tower Chicago – Multiple private charter planes or Jetliner hijacked from O’Hare 15 min. flight away (They wanted this one on 9/11 as well)

U.S. Bank Tower in Los Angeles – Waterboarding saved this building from destruction, and these nutters are quite stubborn, they hit the World Trade Towers in 1993 and 2001.
Also to give the West Coast a taste of their hatred.

Statue of Liberty – A video of Lady Libery smashed and smoldering would be quite a propaganda tool

California wildfires – simultaneous light brushfires in 20 parts of California during dry summer and Santa Ana winds (thousands of firemen from surrounding states come to help and then terrorist hit those states with same tactic)

And Barry wants the world to love us.

Get a grip Child-King®, after we’re hit (and we WILL be hit under this queef) your liberal/socialist agenda WILL be put on hold by a shocked and shaken American public

omnipotent on May 7, 2009 at 12:12 PM

omnipotent on May 7, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Quite plausible. I tend to think NYC would be prime number one. Almost as if they were mocking us, hitting the same city for a third time.

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I’ll be tonight!

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:11

Excellent. But watch the strange places…

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Excellent. But watch the strange places…

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Strange places or

strangelets?

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:16 PM

omnipotent on May 7, 2009 at 12:12 PM

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I’ve always thought an attack at a NASCAR race would make a huge statement – do you know how many hillbilly and rednecks (I can say that, I am one) go to those things?

Or a college football game – Neyland Stadium at UT holds over 100,000. Talk about damage to the “innocents”.

But I agree that NYC is high on the list…

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:16 PM

LOL…in your case, both.

O/T Mark Steyn is hosing Rush today….

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I almost prefer Steyn over Maha Rushie.

I suppose I don’t even think they care about casualty rates as much as they do symbolism. I could be wrong. The jihadis love their symbolism though.

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM

O/T Mark Steyn is hosing Rush today….

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I mean hosting, of course….(I am soooo embarrassed)

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I agree the symbolism is a major part of their thinking. But I also think if they hit somewhere “unexpected” in the heartland, that that would make a statement.

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Drinking already I see

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM

that’s a valid point about the heartland

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Obama made a lot of assumptions while running for office…..but every time he flips, the MSM is strangely silent…..or is it ‘complicit’?

GarandFan on May 7, 2009 at 12:33 PM

LibTired on May 7, 2009 at 11:00 AM

is bowing down ok?? we’re both on the same side, but I think an attack on us is inevitable…and I don’t see us fighting back…

right4life on May 7, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Better yet, the pressurization systems fails at 30,000 feet and is not discovered until the plane lands with a full load of deceased terrorists. (Saves the a/c and crew.)

lonesomecharlie on May 7, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Drinking already I see

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Not at work…

ladyingray on May 7, 2009 at 1:02 PM

LOL
Justbpoking fun at the steyn hose remark

blatantblue on May 7, 2009 at 1:04 PM

balantblue:

I am not so sure that people do not care. I saw a poll, I think it was Rasmussen that said 78% did not want these people released into the US.

Terrye on May 7, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Terrye on May 7, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Then it’s a surety. After all 80+% of Americans want English the official language, 75+% want the border with Mexico closed, a majority want to protect marriage, a majority oppose Obama’s socialist policies. Congress and certainly the President don’t care what the American public thinks. They just have to get their focus groups to spin it in such a way that they can keep Americans from revolting.

Christian Conservative on May 7, 2009 at 2:53 PM

the plan for the gitmo ratbags is to use the witness protection program to bring them to the usa.

davod on May 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Bush should have had them taken out back of the ranch and shot on his last day in office. Would have saved the Messiah the trouble.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on May 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM

What a stupid repulsive ad. Just when you think they can’t go lower. Somehow, our prison system can contain rapists, robbers, serial killers, pedophiles and Ramzi Yousef. But oh, those Al-Quaeda guys! No way!

Putzes. No wonder we’re in permanent minority status.

Hal_10000 on May 7, 2009 at 9:52 PM