Minnesota’s other season

posted at 6:35 pm on May 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Here in Minnesota, we like to say that we have two seasons, winter and road construction, and that they both last about six months.  Today must have been the official start of the other season, as I walked out my door to see this in front of my yard:

That’s a crew digging up part of my front lawn, which I just mowed for the first time this year, in order to repair the curbing and replace the grate on the street’s storm drain, which is located in front of my lawn.  I now have a five-foot pit in front of my house, and the crew disappeared for a couple of hours.  On the plus side: I won’t have to worry about people parking in front of my house.

Update: I wrote this a few hours before it published — we had more pressing stories that bumped it — but it’s well after 5 pm CT now and the crew have been gone for a couple of hours after clearing the debris from the street.  I still have a five-foot pit in front of the lawn.  Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

Comments

Trick question, they are NEVER finished, or finished badly if at all.

bbz123 on May 6, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Nice looking grass.

Meric1837 on May 6, 2009 at 6:38 PM

If it’s anything like Wisconsin, six to eight weeks for something that small.

MadisonConservative on May 6, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Ed, LOL I had the same problem. It took 2 weeks. I hope you don’t have the same issue… but NICE LAWN!

upinak on May 6, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I swear… honest to God… I didn’t realize that lawns were that green! LMFAO in some areas up here, they PAINT the grass and I wish I was lying!

The grass up here when it grows is a dark green.

upinak on May 6, 2009 at 6:40 PM

waiting on their stimulus check no doubt…..

SDarchitect on May 6, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Fill it with water and use it as a swimming pool.

Brat4life on May 6, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Stimulus money at work, in your own front yard.

Yeah Obama!

therightscoop on May 6, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

24-36 months?

ThePrez on May 6, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Very nice lawn, Ed.

Why don’t you throw a hot-tub in the hole before they come back? Situation remedied.

NoamSayin on May 6, 2009 at 6:43 PM

If they’re a Union/government crew, it will probably take the rest of the week. If they’re like the crews down here, there will be 2 guys working and 15 guys watching.

kingsjester on May 6, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Nice looking grass.

Meric1837 on May 6, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Agreed. It looks like St. Augustine. I didn’t think that grew well up there.

rihar on May 6, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Do you know what they call summertime in Minnesota?

Tough sledding.

cjs1943 on May 6, 2009 at 6:45 PM

What an awful state.

Apologetic California on May 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Govt. workers. One crew digs. Then one guy inspects the hole. Then another crew will come by and repair the drain/grate. Then the one guy will come back and inspect the installation. Then another crew will show up and repair the curb and other concrete work. Then the asphalt guys will stop by to repair the street. Nobody will fix the lawn. Two maybe three days to get it all done. Enjoy.

multiuseless on May 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Update: I wrote this a few hours before it published — we had more pressing stories that bumped it — but it’s well after 5 pm CT now and the crew have been gone for a couple of hours after clearing the debris from the street. I still have a five-foot pit in front of the lawn. Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

You could throw a chihuahua in there and maybe PETA would get on their case to fill it in ;)

Upstater85 on May 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Looks to me like you’ve got a badger problem.

gregbert on May 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

Before the next snow fly’s and it’s too late to either resod or reseed. But that’s a conservative estimate. When they did this in my area last summer, they finally finished in November after breaking the main water line 3 times, the phone lines twice, and the power lines 4 times.

Knucklehead on May 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM

IDK about you, but here there is road construction EVERYWHERE that never ends.

It really never ends. It’s like they have a drinking game:

*grabs a map*

ahhhhh, where next?!?!

blatantblue on May 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM

“Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?”

……….. the end of the Obama Administration?

Seven Percent Solution on May 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Looks to me like you’ve got a badger problem.

gregbert on May 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM

DAMMIT!! Meant to say *GOPHER*! Got my frozen states mixed up!

gregbert on May 6, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Did they do this unannounced? One would hope that the city would put a notice on your door the day before or something.

pugwriter on May 6, 2009 at 6:48 PM

That’s a unique photo: government contract work being done with no “managers” standing around. I say it’s a fake…

deesine on May 6, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

When the Scare Force One pics actually come out?

When Obarfy stops using a teleprompter and gets my patented Tel-Eye-Prompter eye implants?

When Al Sharpton stops hustling?

Charles Barkley gets another “amazing b*** job”?

Joe Biden’s eyebrows droop?

Joan Rivers stops getting plastic surgery?

blatantblue on May 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM

IDK about you, but here there is road construction EVERYWHERE that never ends.

It really never ends. It’s like they have a drinking game:

blatantblue on May 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM

JOBS!!! ;)

Upstater85 on May 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM

kingsjester on May 6, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Are you sure you’re not from Chicago? Ya know, where 5 guys walk behind the garbage truck, with only one of them actually working.

Knucklehead on May 6, 2009 at 6:50 PM

At least it was shovel ready! Do you really think they’ll replace the sod?

kirkill on May 6, 2009 at 6:51 PM

When the Scare Force One pics actually come out?blatantblue on May 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Take that one off the list. I just heard on Fox that the WH is going to release ONE picture.

Knucklehead on May 6, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Heh! Your birch tree comes with matching tractors! Is Martha Stewart in charge of coordinating roadworks in Minnesota lol? She has some experience on the ‘chain gang’ from what I understand..

saus on May 6, 2009 at 6:53 PM

IDK about you, but here there is road construction EVERYWHERE that never ends.

blatantblue on May 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM

no kidding, they widened the Interstate here to 3 lanes (each way), and did it pretty quick considering, but then they promptly shut it back down to 2 lanes because it sank…that repair has been going on for over twice the length of time for the original construction.

kirkill on May 6, 2009 at 6:54 PM

The frozen states really do have four seasons. It goes like this: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Road Construction.

Ace ODale on May 6, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Two pieces of equipment is better than one that will do both tasks, because one more guy would just be standing around doing nothing. Cool Tonka toys, though.

Dusty on May 6, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Ed, for a change of pace, if you hijacked the front end loader and drove it down the highway, you’d make Fox News.

And by the time you got out of lock-up, they might be finished with your front yard.

Loxodonta on May 6, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Loxodonta on May 6, 2009 at 6:56 PM

No guarantees

blatantblue on May 6, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

That depends, are they union? I’ll just say if they’re union you may have a small ice skating rink come the next season!

Liberty or Death on May 6, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Looks to me like you’ve got a badger problem.

gregbert on May 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM

“Badger, my ass. It’s probably Milhouse.”

One of my favorite Homer Simpson quotes.

revolutionismyname on May 6, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Ed, I can’t tell exactly from the picture, but are you sure they aren’t liming your soil and watering your lawn? maybe you’re going to get a bill. I mean on top of your taxes.

Loxodonta on May 6, 2009 at 7:00 PM

What’s tha green stuff in your yard? Is that what grass looks like? I got a s#!t ton of ivy and other weeds if you want to trade!

;)

Yakko77 on May 6, 2009 at 7:00 PM

At least it was shovel ready! Do you really think they’ll replace the sod?

kirkill on May 6, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Only if it’s GREEN and approved by Al Gore…

Upstater85 on May 6, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Oh! I know! I know!

They’re playing Where’s Bugs?

Loxodonta on May 6, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

lets keep track of this one, i say 36 days.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on May 6, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Ed, why are they digging up your yard?

I’m a Tea Party organizer and just got word that one of our other organizers was just ‘summoned’ to the local IRS office to answer questions about accounting from 8 years ago.

Key West Reader on May 6, 2009 at 7:04 PM

I can’t remember the comedienne’s name, but her bit about MN was that her ancestors crossed the ocean, traveled by wagon across the country against insurmountable odds to find a place as cold and miserable as the place they left…..

bbz123 on May 6, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

Looks like they’re finished to me.

Rode Werk on May 6, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Looks to me like you’ve got a badger problem.

gregbert on May 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Uh, no, I don’t think it’s a badger, but more likely one damn big gopher!

Where is that Carl the green’s keeper when you need him…after all he had a license to kill gophers!

Liberty or Death on May 6, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I need to learn how to use quotes.

Rode Werk on May 6, 2009 at 7:07 PM

No notice at all? I’d be like a madman out there.

TheBigOldDog on May 6, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Hopefully this type of activity went on up and down your street and not just in front of the house of Hot Air’s Ed Morrissey otherwise that is just creepy especially if they didn’t notify you it was going to happen.

Or has Chicago style thuggery come to visit Ed?

journeyintothewhirlwind on May 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Or has Chicago style thuggery come to visit Ed?

journeyintothewhirlwind on May 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Obama was not aware of Ed’s existence…

2 weeks later at Plastice Press Conference:

“Some of you may have heard of those naughty Eds in the world…”

Upstater85 on May 6, 2009 at 7:17 PM

If they don’t come back you’ll know they realized they were at the wrong address.

TheBigOldDog on May 6, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Finish?

They are finished!

gridlock2 on May 6, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Won’t it be great to have government employees managing your healthcare? You can wake up on the operating table with your abdomen sliced open and appendix hanging by a thread, all because a strike was called mid-operation.

Yay, I love government control!

Bishop on May 6, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Ed, you should stick your hose out there and fill the hole with water overnight, so when the crew comes back they can deal with that mess.

I once had a city crew leave a Bobcat parked at the very end of my driveway and they left the keys in it; I had to inch my truck by to get out of my own driveway. So my neighbor and I decided to drive it down the street into a wild area and left it there.

Bishop on May 6, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Yay, I love government control!

Bishop on May 6, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Or, you wake up with your abdomen sliced open and your appendix hanging out and an ACORN worker barges into the sx room and announces that they forgot to ask for your voter registration card.

Indeed. Life is great.

Key West Reader on May 6, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

infidel4life on May 6, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

It depends…
What is the scope of the project? To park heavy equipment perhaps?

How many different trades are on the job? Agronomy, heavy equipment, water works, concrete constructors – others etc. Can they all operate at the same time?

Did anyone have a clipboard, a clean shirt, and a safety vest? Without him – nothing will get done.

Did they discover any snail darters? Spotted owls? Sea turtles? Mastodons? Indian burial grounds?

Any neighbors complain and get an injunction?

All kidding aside, I hope they finish quickly and they reseed with the same grass you have already.

ericdijon on May 6, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Did I just get banned? Testing.

Key West Reader on May 6, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I can’t remember the comedienne’s name,

bbz123 on May 6, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Diane Ford?

Oldnuke on May 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Phew. Okay then.

Key West Reader on May 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Think of it as your tax dollars at work, Ed. I’ll guess that the pit will still be there 3 weeks from now, and they will not fix your property.

Are you sure that the “road crew” was not really DHS agents planting hidden cameras, bugging devices and high gain microphones? As an influential blogger who frequently criticizes the current regime, you need to watch your back, and in this case your front…yard that is. LOL

simkeith on May 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM

…hmmm…public works (like public television, public education, public bathrooms)…in a lefty state like Minnesota….

*WHEELS WHIRR* *GEARS MESH* *LEDS BLINK* *CALCULATOR SPITS OUT ANSWER*

…hmmm…do you plan on grandchildren? One day, they can tell their grandchildren to expect the guys with the anti-gravity bulldozers along any day to fill in the hole….

…next silly question?

Puritan1648 on May 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Ed,

Those aren’t MnDOT workers. They are Agents of Change.

Be afraid.

BobMbx on May 6, 2009 at 7:51 PM

simkeith on May 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Darn it. Beat me to it.

BobMbx on May 6, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Ed,
With all the ‘global warming’ up your way, you have a beautiful yard. Sure wish we had the water down here in S TX. We do have all the fresh veggies though.
L

letget on May 6, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

They are finished…

right2bright on May 6, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Ed,your neighborhood looks like a typical Northern Ontario
neighborhood,and ya,your right,same here.Winter and road
repair,so true!:)

canopfor on May 6, 2009 at 8:01 PM

About a month. By fall, the grass will be growing again- after you reseed it, of course.

cs89 on May 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Once Obama’s shovel ready projects are rolling along, most of the country will look like that :)

Buy Danish on May 6, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Replace the storm drain? What was wrong with it?

SoulGlo on May 6, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Replace the storm drain?What was wrong with it?

SoulGlo on May 6,2009 at 8:05PM.

SoulGlo:

It needed CHANGE,it was full of Liberal doo doo!hehe:)

canopfor on May 6, 2009 at 8:12 PM

They just stopped to fetch a Recovery.gov logo to display on the jobsite…. and then the work will get finished..in time for election year.

Rockygold on May 6, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Hey Ed, fill the hole AND THEN BILL THEM FOR TIME, LABOR AND MATERIALS!

Alternatively, put up a sign FALL IN AND SUE THE CITY!

GarandFan on May 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM

After fighting for 6 years to try to get them to repair my sidewalk in Sacramento, I would put up with a hole in the yard for a month if they actually did it.

JeffinSac on May 6, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Our county put a new section of sidewalk in from of my house that had gotten cracked and pushed up by a tree root. I found out of the weekend that they messed up a chunk of my sprinkler system. In the course of replacing that sidewalk they took the cable out on two different houses (requiring a new line on one) and my sprinkler. I think they don’t give a flying flip what kind of job they do so Ed, there is no telling when you will see those folks again.

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2009 at 9:12 PM

In Chandler, AZ, my home, the city tore up the same stretch of Arizona Ave. about eight times in ten years. It’s been a couple of years since then, so I’m hoping they’ll leave it alone from now on.

jgapinoy on May 6, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Good luck with that! Next door in ND we have potholes the size of our cars after all of the snow and flooding we’ve had. We sure could have used some of that darn global warming this winter.

thevastlane on May 6, 2009 at 9:47 PM

A crew showed up in front of our house about 8:30 last night in Atlanta and proceeded to start jackhammering open a paved-over manhole. My neighbor ran out and let them know his one-year-old was asleep about 30 feet from where they were. To their credit, they put their stuff away and left.

tbradshaw on May 6, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Yeah Ed, nice lawn.
Something else for Allah to be jealous over.

carbon_footprint on May 6, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Just FYI, they’re working all over my neighborhood, so no one’s singling me out. I don’t think I’m that big a problem to anyone … yet.

I did like the idea to turn it into a hot tub, though. Wonder how I could keep the neighbors from monopolizing it?

Ed Morrissey on May 6, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I keep having fleeting thoughts about Ed’s new senator opening his branch office in there. Yeah, you know the one I mean.

platypus on May 6, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Are the teamsters that work for the city?

3 weeks

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on May 6, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Eat a sugar-free peep and you end up breaking your main sewage pipe.

Make sure you steal that recovery.gov sign.

WashJeff on May 7, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Wonder how I could keep the neighbors from monopolizing it?

Ed Morrissey on May 6, 2009 at 11:16 PM

If you were to overtly urinate there it might keep the neighbors at bay.

carbon_footprint on May 7, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Gee… You elect Al Frankin, Jessie the Body, Keith Ellison, Paul wellstone.. You have mosquitoes the size of the flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz, your idea of culture is “The artist formally known as prince” or the mall of America, you have 10 months of winter and 2 months of hotter than hell, surrounded by snow backs and islamist immigrants taking a break from jihad to freeze their nads off and you are complaining about your lawn?

Minnesotan priorities…

Boxy_Brown on May 7, 2009 at 2:20 AM

If Caltrans (the California Department of Transportation) were doing this project, you wouldn’t be talkinga in terms of weeks… more like generations.

And every year or five, at inscrutable intervals, a flurry of activity would happen… or at least orange-vested workers would have lunch on your lawn every day for a while from 11 to 2… and then they would mysteriously vanish again. With nothing discernably changed.

Then local authorities will get so frustrated they’ll hire a private contractor and the whole thing will get done in about one day for every year Caltrans took.

At least, that’s how things happen here.

Consanescerion on May 7, 2009 at 2:20 AM

See what happens when you use your real name in public in association with anything that has negative connotations to liberalism?

Hope you have a bodyguard.

Spiritk9 on May 7, 2009 at 3:15 AM

At least it was shovel ready! Do you really think they’ll replace the sod?

kirkill on May 6, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Beat me to it… but we must wonder if completion of the project will now be a Federal project?

darkpixel on May 7, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Ed, I haven’t seen a white bark tree since my last trip to Siberia. You live too far north, lol.

Vashta.Nerada on May 7, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Ed, you have grass??? We’ve still go snow in some areas! We have two seasons also, 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding.

flytier on May 7, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Any guesses how long it will take before they finish the job?

Well, if it was here, Larry, Daryl, and the other brother Daryl, would show up sometime close to Labor Day.

ladyingray on June 1, 2009 at 9:52 AM

JOBS!!! ;)

Upstater85 on May 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Well they’ve got plenty of JOBS!!! in Knoxville, TN. I-40 is a freakin’ mess and has been for over a year. Sheesh.

ladyingray on June 1, 2009 at 9:54 AM