Dijongate?

posted at 10:12 am on May 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Maybe it’s a slow news week, but it’s not that slow.  After NBC broke the big news about Barack Obama’s burger run, some people apparently discovered a media conspiracy to cover up a scandal that occurs at the lunch counter.  Did Obama get a freebie?  No, he insists on paying for his lunch.  Did he cut in line?  That’s inconclusive.  However, MS-NBC cut one critical moment from its coverage:

MSNBC, Obama’s favorite network, reported on Obama’s trip with Joe Biden to get a burger. Just two wild and crazy guys out for some red meat. Andrea Mitchell (does she have nothing else to do?) reported that Obama ordered a burger and mustard. Sounds like it had that “real guy kind of quality.”

Mitchell even noted that Obama left a $5 tip in the tip jar. But she didn’t mention one arugula-like fact, and you couldn’t hear it on the MSNBC video because Andrea and her correspondent Kelly O’Donnel (they needed two people to cover this story) were talking so much.

NBC’s regular news reported Obama’s order as follows: “”I’m going to have a basic cheddar cheese burger, medium well, with mustard,” Obama said. “Do you have spicy mustard? I’ll take that.”

Actually, the quote was “you got a spicy mustard or something like that, or a Dijon mustard, something like that” (at 0.55 of the unedited video below without Mitchell’s talkover).

Obama ordered his burger with DIJON MUSTARD! Bet he had to seek John Kerry’s counsel on that.

Our friend at Legal Insurrection now has a Grey Poupon-Obama graphic proudly displayed on the site.  I’m pretty sure William has his tongue firmly in cheek with the breathless updates on this post, but he does seem to be tweaking Obama for an elitist bent and the media for covering it up.

As for me, well, this is about as much of a non-story as it can get.  I don’t like regular yellow mustard at all.  If I use mustard on anything, it’s either Guldens or (horrors!) Grey Poupon, although I have to admit, I’ve become a big fan of Silver Springs Beer & Brat Horseradish Mustard.  Put that on some brats or Italian sausage fresh off the grill and it’ll put hair on your chest.  (Hey, that sounds like a great idea for dinner tonight.  Hmmm.)  But for hamburgers, I’m a mayo man.  In fact, I like to dip french fries in mayo, which annoys most of my family but tastes a lot better than ketchup, which is just too sweet for me.

Anyway, if Kelly O’Donnell talked over the Dijon moment, it’s probably not because they thought it was the straw that broke the camel’s back, or that Dijon represented an enormous insult to the working-class families that Obama and Joe Biden claim to represent.  It’s probably because it’s just mustard.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

A related critical issue: Did Obama order “French fries” or “American Fries” with his burger?

Even if Obama was a cheapskate with the tip, at least he paid for his meal: both of the Clinton’s were famous for stiffing both the restaurant and the server.

But he still has ordered up endless debt, sky-high taxes, and much higher energy costs for everyone…so we’ll hold off on carving his likeness into a mountain (he’ll probably commission this task himself, anyway).

landlines on May 6, 2009 at 11:24 AM

landlines on May 6, 2009 at 11:24 AM

well, he can pay for all his meals with all the money he made from his books about what a loving father figure his real daddy was, Frank Marshall Davis.

Ghoul aid on May 6, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Grey Pupon snob commercials aside, I kind of don’t get it. Spicy brown mustard is something like the cheapest non-beverage substance to be found at a supermarket. Sometimes its cheaper than normal mustard.
(I know this, because I am a skinflint)

Count to 10 on May 6, 2009 at 11:30 AM

This is one of those “I’m providing horrible leadership for America, but I like a good hamburger, so I’m just like you” moments. One of the handlers thought it was time for a photo op to disract from his train wreck of a Presidency.
Last week it was the puppy.

kingsjester on May 6, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Mark Levin ripped MSNBC (or MSLSD as he affectionately calls them) a new one over this.

Seriously, this is news MSNBC? No wonder my crap myspace page likely has more views than your “news” channel.

Yakko77 on May 6, 2009 at 11:32 AM

You got that right. They both looked clueless when ordering. Given that this whole event was nothing but a photo op, why would Obummer make such a big deal about the type of mustard on the burger and the type of fries served?

NebCon on May 6, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Just like the press conferences…he loves to hear himself talk. The never ending campaign.

I wonder what the cost to us was for the caravan of SUVs, Secrety Service, DC Cops, closed streets, and the whitehouse press corps spreading rose petals in his path?

Amazed on May 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM

After telling the Dept. of VA to save money by doing video conference, I still have not heard one reporter ask if he could save money the same way, instead of flying across the country for a speech every other day. Once again…the never ending campaign.

And for my bipartisan blurb, Heinz 57 on fries or steak toast is the way to go. Brings back my busboy days in highschool.

yakwill83 on May 6, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Even if Obama was a cheapskate with the tip, at least he paid for his meal:

Actually, we paid for the meal.

I’m just glad he didn’t fly in his favorite fry cook from St. Louis to make the burger.

Daggett on May 6, 2009 at 11:38 AM

You know this channel is going the way of the newspapers. And whoever is running the place either doesn’t give a rat’s a$$ or he’s hoping for a big bailout from his buddy Obo when it tanks. Who knows. It’s a shame, though, because a NEWS channel ought to be taken seriously and this is worse than watching the E! channel. I feel sorry for the people who got into journalism hoping for an honorable career and instead wound up in a field their colleagues have turning into a laughing stock.

scalleywag on May 6, 2009 at 11:41 AM

So–You can’t even go out for a nice hamburger without losing your appetite by having the child prodigy and his doddy ol’ uncle come slithering in for a bite! Well, I guess one thing that WON’T be forbidden under O’s regime: BEEF! TOTUS seems to have a prediliction for it so we carnivores are safe for awhile. Pork on the other hand: with big “porkulus” bucks promised for research into just how smelly pig farms are, our pulled pork sandwiches may soon be a thing for the history books–although they’ll be listing slightly to the left. You gotta wonder: have those who want to research pig smell ever passed by a cattle feed lot, in the mid-west, in August? EEEWWWWW! (But I like beef so I should shut it, eh?) Dijon Mustard? I prefer the grainy brown mustard someone else mentioned earlier in the post. And I don’t think we need Dijon Mustard as clue that he’s a self-centered, elitist. Everytime he takes the stage he proves that. Now–how about a hamburger for breakfast!!

Driefromseattle on May 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

OhioCoastie on May 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Yakko77 on May 6, 2009 at 11:32 AM

MSNBC, and NBC don’t care. They only need to pander, and pamper Obama, so GE, their owner, gets that big Cap and Trade deal. Then, they’re all rich beyond their wildest dreams. At that point, they won’t need viewers…and watch at your own risk, as they’ll probably get nekkid, and roll around in all their dough! UGH.

capejasmine on May 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM

You know, why don’t they just completely go off the deep end and hire Joan Rivers to do the news? It might be an improvement over these yahoos.

scalleywag on May 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I think there are two sins and both are on MSNBC

1) Breaking into their daily programing to report this crap
2) Willfully cutting out the ‘Dijon’ part, is there a rational reason to do this outside of an attempt to make him appear like one of the guys? Even if that is extremely specious logic, it just goes to show the lack of neural processing the major producers there have.

I don’t care if Obama eats it with Dijon or Russian Dressing or even Mayo (I like all three on burgers along with ketchup, just not at the same time). This is a stupid story x 100

Defector01 on May 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM

“Ed, buy some Stadium Mustard, the kind they serve at Cleveland Indians games. It’s spicy, delicious, and has none of the limp-wristed foppishness of the Grey Poupon brand.

OhioCoastie on May 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM”

Ballpark food? Go the a White Sox game, get a fried Kosher dog, buried in grilled onions and yellow mustard.

Obamvag says he’s a Sox fan…I doubt it. He would be mortified to get mustard all over him.

LtE126 on May 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM

The only story here is the breathless coverage of this “event” by an obsequious, corrupt media.

TheBigOldDog on May 6, 2009 at 11:58 AM

My issue here remains the same as it did when the “burger run” first broke:

but just like the $300,000 NYC terror scare ordered by the White House, I have to wonder how “green” this is, when he certainly could have gotten a burger at the white house… or sent someone who didn’t need secret service, and a friggin’ convoy, to go pick the burgers up and bring them back.

RightWinged on May 5, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Also, how much did it cost? Vehicles, added security, gas, not to mention treating press to meals. What happened to getting whatever you want for food at the WH?

Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen.

RightWinged on May 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM

C’mon now. This is the first truly “positive” story of the Messiah’s reign so far: he put $5 in the tip jar! Hallelujah!

n0doz on May 6, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I predict that sometime during Obama’s term he’s going to have an affair. It’s the typical pattern of the narcissist.

scalleywag on May 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM

115 comments and no one’s made an “Obama can’t cut the mustard” joke yet?

Snowed In on May 6, 2009 at 12:20 PM

OK, we can have fun with this, but do we really need to turn this into some kind of serious issue?

The President wanted a burger – so what? The guy ordered it medium well, so who gives a crap about what kind of mustard he used? The more important question would be – has anyone ever told this moron you don’t eat meat cooked like that?

Seriously, I have never understood why people will get a steak or other cut of beef cooked “well”. If you want a piiece of charcoal to nibble on, go get a bag of Kingsford – you’ll be set for a good while.

Anyway, this is poking fun at the Prez, but trying to make this anything more is really kinda silly…

catmman on May 6, 2009 at 12:21 PM

scalleywag on May 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Since the MSM’s been in bed with the guy for over two years now…

catmman on May 6, 2009 at 12:22 PM

This was a photo-op that didn’t involve scaring the living crap out of New Yorkers by buzzing them in a 747, and it was almost certainly designed to show that, contrary to what the Vice Gaffer said last week, it’s OK to go out in public.

(While they were there, did the moron have any choice remarks about certain ethnic groups?)

Chickyraptor on May 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I can’t bring myself to get excited about anything associated with Obama’s trip to this restaurant, or what kind of dressing he asked for on his hamburger. I am sure the White House Mess does an excellent job at feeding Obama and his family. But I can’t fault the guy if he just feels like grabbing some food at one of the D.C.-area restaurants he used to frequent as a Senator.

Outlander on May 6, 2009 at 12:26 PM

115 comments and no one’s made an “Obama can’t cut the mustard” joke yet?

Snowed In on May 6, 2009 at 12:20 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

capejasmine on May 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM

They went to Ray’s Hell Burger. Despite Obama and Biden being morons in all other aspects, Ray’s Hell Burger is probably the best burger joint in the DC area. Good on them, just this once…

LeBron on May 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Please explain to me Obama’s changing his diction per the situation. When he is talking from TOTUS he sounds like what he is, the pampered private-schooled ivy leagued educated pompus ass with the occassional mispronunciation and the occassional ridiculous metro-sexual elite snob pronunciation of foreign names like “POK-ESS-STaan”.

When he mixes with the the unwashed he insists on sounding like he has some sort of phoney/jive/southern/ghetto accent. He elides his vowels and drops his “gs”. I expect him to break into a rap any second.

Are people fooled by this? WTF

Haunches on May 6, 2009 at 12:49 PM

But for hamburgers, I’m a mayo man. In fact, I like to dip french fries in mayo, which annoys most of my family but tastes a lot better than ketchup, which is just too sweet for me.

Damn northerners. The Canadians are just as bad with their gravy.

darclon on May 6, 2009 at 12:57 PM

There are plenty of great mustards out there-some excellent dill-flavored ones, for example, that go great on burgers.

Also some great Creole mustards out of Louisiana. And one of the best mustards I ever tasted was a pineapple flavored mustard from Jamaica.

Del Dolemonte on May 6, 2009 at 1:01 PM

This calls for Bruce Willis’ opinion on condiments and hamburgers:

darclon on May 6, 2009 at 1:03 PM

“It’s probably because it’s just mustard.”

Yeap…….

Seven Percent Solution on May 6, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Dijon mustard on a burger sounds extremely uppity to me.

SouthernGent on May 6, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Sometimes a condiment is just a condiment.

hicsuget on May 6, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Not even a Mean Mister Mustard Obama joke either. French Mustard on hamburgers talk about unamerican cuisinage.

eaglewingz08 on May 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Mayo on a hamburger? Almost as nasty sounding as my brother putting tabasco on his scrambled eggs.

Typhonsentra on May 6, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Speaking of “brats,” Cap’n Ed, I know from reading Lileks that brats are to Minnesotans what hot dogs are to, well, the rest of us.

But for the record — and for the benefit of those who haven’t had a real brat — a good, grilled brat (and do not, do not think that Hillshire Farm makes a ‘real’ brat; hie thee to a Polish deli) — will beat any hot dog, no problemo.

With mustard, of course.

Paul_in_NJ on May 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Dijon mustard on a burger sounds extremely uppity to me.

SouthernGent on May 6, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Agreed. I like a good Dijon or Gulden’s Spicy Brown more than the next guy, so I don’t fault his choice of mustard. But what kind of a fey Hawaiian pansy orders mustard on a hamburger?

You put fu**ing ketchup on a hamburger, or maybe open pit if you really want to push the envelope. Mustard is right out.

If it’s a hot dog, you put the ketchup in your ear. Mustard is for sausages of every kind, including the dog. Anyone with two nuts knows this.

Jaibones on May 6, 2009 at 2:08 PM

ROSALIND: Where learned you that oath, fool?

TOUCHSTONE: Of a certain knight that swore by his honour they were good pancakes and swore by his honour the mustard was naught: now I’ll stand to it, the pancakes were naught and the mustard was good, and yet was not the knight forsworn.

CELIA: How prove you that, in the great heap of your knowledge?

ROSALIND: Ay, marry, now unmuzzle your wisdom.

TOUCHSTONE: Stand you both forth now: stroke your chins, and swear by your beards that I am a knave.

CELIA: By our beards, if we had them, thou art.

TOUCHSTONE: By my knavery, if I had it, then I were; but if you swear by that that is not, you are not forsworn: no more was this knight, swearing by his honour, for he never had any; or if he had, he had sworn it away before ever he saw those pancakes or that mustard.

Tzetzes on May 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Did anyone listen to Rush earlier? He was playing a clip from an interview. I’m not sure who was who, but they were interviewing a republican, I believe, who was talking about their new movement, to get America to embrace the party again. He said they went out to meet the people, and some went to have pizza, with average Americans.

Not to be outdone, Obama, and Biden went to a burger joint, to do the same thing.

Sounds like Obama had to lower himself to the average Americans level, in order to score points, and out do Republicans. This may answer the question as to why MSNBC covered the story at all.

It certainly can’t be because people actually watch this joke of a network anymore.

capejasmine on May 6, 2009 at 2:52 PM

I love sandwiches. Burgers fall in that category.

That’s all the comment I think this story deserves.

shick on May 6, 2009 at 3:20 PM

The actual quote is:

I am going to have, errr.. uhhh… just .. ahhh.. just, um, your basic cheddar cheese burger … [dramatic pause]… medium well… uhhh… I just want mustard, no ketchup.

bitsy on May 6, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I want those two minutes back. WHY is this even news?

Mustard on your burger = +1. In Texas, failure to do so is a felony. ;-)

cannonball on May 6, 2009 at 4:19 PM

But what kind of a fey Hawaiian pansy orders mustard on a hamburger?

Jaibones on May 6, 2009 at 2:08 PM

O’bama also eats Spam when he’s visiting Hawai’i. That’s the official state food out there and has been since World War 2.

In reality there are some seriously good burgers in the 50th state, like Duane’s Ono Char Burgers on Kauai. The main “condiments” there are teriyaki sauce and blue cheese.

But another major burger place on the island, Bubba’s (which has been there since 1936) proudly advertises that they use French’s mustard on their burgers.

Del Dolemonte on May 6, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I’m a mayo man too when it comes to burgers. Ed, have you ever tried dipping your fries in mustard? I do as a change of pace from ketchup, I also like to put a good hot sauce on my fries sometimes, just to spice things up a bit.

Liberty or Death on May 6, 2009 at 5:03 PM

What? no Mucky Duck???

I R A Darth Aggie on May 6, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Joe — “and a root beer medium well . . .

What? I hate root beer medium well. It should be rare!

What was he thinking? You can’t even get a root beer medium well at the Charcoal Pit, which is where he grew up! Ugh!

Trochilus on May 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM