Chris Matthews to Mike Pence: Do you or don’t you believe in evolution?

posted at 8:50 pm on May 5, 2009 by Allahpundit

For your amusement or dismay, as the case may be, five minutes of increasingly awkward ducking o’ the question. “I think you believe in evolution,” says Matthews at one point, “but you’re afraid to say so because your conservative constituency might find that offensive.” Actually, my hunch is that he doesn’t believe in it but is afraid to say so lest he be deemed a total crank by the media. I thought the standard line for creationist Republican politicians when asked this question is to say yes, of course they accept Darwin, before quickly adding that that’s not strictly incompatible with belief in a Christian God. That way you get to have your cake and eat it too. Why would Pence decline to do so unless he couldn’t utter both parts of that rote answer in good faith?

Maybe Matthews is just grumpy because he knows that, despite the left’s best efforts, the public still doesn’t much care about global warming. Watch it all the way through, incidentally, or else you’ll miss his salute to the intellects of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and, of course, Sarah Palin. And to think, I thought he misspoke that time when he accused her of not knowing how to read.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

literally millions of fossils have been uncovered. We have discovered fossils of the same type on two seperate continents. We know that the continents drift and move. Yes, MILLIONS of pieces of evidence, none of which are inconsistent with the theory of evolution. Either its the biggest coincidence ever, or the theory of evolution is fact.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:18 PM

yeah and they don’t show evolution…ever hear of ‘punctuated equilibrium’????

why did Gould and Eldridge come up with that theory???

Doug: What got you started thinking about punctuated equilibrium?

Stephen Jay Gould: It wasn’t broad philosophical or political issues as I think many people assume. It really comes right out of an operational dilemma in paleontology.

I had been trained, as Niles Eldredge had, in statistical methods for the study of subtle changes in evolution. Evolution at that time was defined as gradualism. The two were virtually equated; to see evolution meant finding gradualistic sequences, but every paleontologist knew that they had effectively never been found, and that was a frustration.

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:12 PM

That is not what the passage was about, but then you didn’t read it did you? But consider this. I have to choose for myself what to belive. And I seem to have the options of a few thousand years of human history and tradition, combined with social structures that seemed to work pretty good for a long long time; or I could just take your word for it. Do you really think I might do that?

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM

is this thread going to turn into something that i would find at that lizardoid site?

quit reading that because the dude was going all OCD with his evolution post, bashing Christians & his brown-nosers bashed anyone who disagreed with his screed.

very boring…

poppieseeds on May 5, 2009 at 10:22 PM

@ right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:20 PM

You people are just embarrassing to be associated with. Almost makes me happy that your movement is failing epically.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

@ DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:04 PM

No, I resort to insults because your belief system is embarrassing to me, and you identify yourself similarly politically as me. I have no problem with christians at all, but seriously believing in creation science and ignoring millions of pieces of evidence for evolution, is embarrassing.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Wait a minute. So you don’t have a problem with Christians yet you have a problem with people that believe this world was formed by a creator. A little contradictory, don’t you think?

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

I could vote for someone who totally embraces their beliefs in God before someone who believes that they can cure debt by borrowing more and more money on the chance that they will be able to steal from someone else later.

Cindy Munford on May 5, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Amen.

Loxodonta on May 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Deo vindice

AES on May 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

lets start with Ezekiel’s prophecy of the establishment of israel as a nation again, toward the end of days, and the iranian/russian invasion that is prophecied…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Oh, yes, I’ve been watching that very closely – notice that all of the nations listed in Ezekiel 38 are lining up just as predicted – Russia and Iran are closer than ever and Europe is turning into a muslim stronghold. I used to wonder how that event could happen with the US around, but my question was answered when Obama got elected. The time is coming close.

jdawg on May 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM

@ DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

I have no problem with the creator nonsense. I have a problem with people who think the earth is 6k years old, who refuse to even examine evolution, and who ruin the image of the party I am associated with by looking like absolute morons in general when asked ANYTHING about science.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM

@ DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Sure I will. I don’t believe in man made global warming personally. The reason you don’t is because its been adopted by the political left because they see opportunities to advance their agenda in it. I deny man made global warming because I examined the evidence from temperature increased, CO2 increases, Sun activity, etc. I came to the conclusion after looking at the evidence that it was a natural occurrence. Just because some douchebag politician says the consensus is in scientifically, doesn’t mean anything. You are listening to politicians speak on the issue, and not scientists.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Dude, I hope you don’t think you’re a mind reader because you suck at it.

I came to the conclusion about global warming by the same way you do. Here’s the difference between that and MACRO evolution. In the case against AGW, there is undeniable proof that doesn’t contain words/phrases like “could be”, “possibly”, “might be”, etc. In MACRO evolution, not so much.

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM

You either believe and eyewitness to the creation or you believe men who are guessing….these same men change their minds all the time…either way your worshipping someone…either God or men…

rich8450 on May 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

movement? You think faith in God is a movement? That answers a lot of questions. Sad that modern politics has you thinking everything has to be about a movement of some sort?

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM

So stupid for anyone to be afraid to answer this, since the vast majority of the country are “creationists” whether they realize it or not.

RightWinged on May 5, 2009 at 10:12 PM

The demonization of Christians and creationist is on par with what was done to the Jewish people of Europe in the ’30′s. They are less because they don’t believe what those who control the media want to be believed. Having another belief or opinion on any subject has become unaccepable. I’m not saying that they will be hauled off in trains, but the disdain and marginalization is only the start.

thomasaur on May 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM

AnninCA
We sort of embrace that school is probably a ton more about social skills building than actual information.

There is the quote from a someone who said they come from a family with educators in it which contains the Freudian slip that ACTUAL INFORMATION is not important in education. The only thing that is important is social skills building. That is why we have so MANY PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY WHO CAN’T THINK FOR THEMSELVES. They believe everything they see and hear on TV. They went out and bought food and water and prepared for the way over hyped disaster that was Y2K. In the end what happened. Nothing.
Anyone who thought for themselves knew that the problem would be solved before the deadline, because no business was going to be deprived of their income stream by something that could be avoided by some preparation.

TruthToBeTold on May 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM

thpilli are you a scientist?

daesleeper on May 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Oh good, here comes the embarrassment wing to tell us how evolution is all lies.

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I’m with thphilli on this one. Hilariously!

I started to type up a reply explaining the science behind radiocarbon dating, but then I went back and viewed some of your earlier posts in this thread. What you exhibit is not mere ignorance; it is contempt for knowledge. There’s a reason people like you are a laughingstock, and it’s not because godless scientists sold their souls to the devil to buy off the media.

hicsuget on May 5, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Man, that sure is a lot to type. Is that atheist-ese for “I do not have an answer”?

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM

@ DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Dude, you are hilarious. No “proof” for anything contains the words “could be”, “possibly”, “might be”, etc. That isnt evidence, that is someone postulating. Evidence is evidence, not an essay. Evidence is a found fossil, not a paper describing the fossil. Unless you are talking about some ancient text with those words chiseled into a rock face, you have absolutely no clue what constitutes evidence.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM

There is no need to define them. They have been disproven. Its as simple as that.

Talk about dodging the question.

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:29 PM

@ DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM

No, thats atheist for “Its almost embarrassing we are even talking to this mentally challenged person”

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:29 PM

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM

One could argue that Christianity is a movement – that started when Jesus Christ was crucified and rose again, and continues to this day despite persecution and all attempts to stamp it out. But there is a day coming when there will be a mass rebellion against the church, and that is happening as we speak, with churches embracing the New Age philosophy and worship of Gaia, and others just ignoring the basic tenents of Christianity.

jdawg on May 5, 2009 at 10:29 PM

The demonization of Christians and creationist is on par with what was done to the Jewish people of Europe in the ’30’s. They are less because they don’t believe what those who control the media want to be believed. Having another belief or opinion on any subject has become unaccepable. I’m not saying that they will be hauled off in trains, but the disdain and marginalization is only the start.

thomasaur on May 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Now THAT’S as movement. And you are right, except don’t bet they woun’t use the trains. They’re building their level of hate towards that point daily.

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Faith is not ABOUT a debate, and it is not ABOUT winning an arguement.

God either is or is not, and beliving it or not beliving it will not change what is. Neither will changing what someone else believes.

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:16 PM

That’s more or less what I’m getting at. Yet people argue endlessly in threads like this that end up being one big mudslinging fight. I don’t get it. Does believing in evolution over Intelligent Design (or vise versa) somehow make one a bad person, or otherwise less capable of functioning in society? Does anyone think they’ll be able to change anyone else’s mind on the matter?

And as I tried to suggest in my first comment, it’s entirely possible to believe in both- that the evidence is best explained by an old Earth and evolution, but since God is omnipotent (and thus supernatural), one can’t (or at least shouldn’t) apply natural physical laws and evidence to religious belief. To do so serves neither science or religion.

Hollowpoint on May 5, 2009 at 10:30 PM

@ DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Would you have me define astrology? No, its been disproven. If you want to know about the theories, go read about them. There is an excellent write up on Wikipedia about them, including the criticisms which includes the absolute destruction of the theory.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:30 PM

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

keep dreaming sonny boy, you darwiniacs are a bunch of rabid mad dogs…defending your faith, because thats all it is…you have to sue, harass and silence those who disagree because ya got nothing else…

your hairygod is failure….evolution is on its last legs…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:31 PM

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I have no problem with evolution. I have a problem with ‘evolutionists’ declaring absolute moral authority because the theory of evolution is ‘science’.

daesleeper on May 5, 2009 at 10:31 PM

So brave Chris…why not ask Keith Ellison why his religion is so violent and intolerant of women? Oh wait..it’s wayyy too easy to bash Christians.

StevefromMKE on May 5, 2009 at 10:32 PM

poppieseeds on May 5, 2009 at 10:22 PM

That and banning anybody who dared get a little too boisterous defending a creationist viewpoint.

/I think what got me was when I made a comment after an absence due to the abnormal amount of headlines dedicated to that subject and still seeing all these postings in support of non-causal spontaneous generation and that I’d check back in a few weeks to see if it had died down. Seems he took some exception to that statement.

AZfederalist on May 5, 2009 at 10:32 PM

thomasaur on May 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Actually, the demonization of Christians has been going on since the crucifixion. Rome tried to eliminate the church, but it spread worldwide. Don’t worry, when the time is right, God will take His church and all Hell will break out, literally, all over the earth. Those who hate God will get what they want soon enough.

jdawg on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

your hairygod is failure….evolution is on its last legs…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Creationism, with snakes attending schools with humans, is going well.

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

and whats funny is you can’t answer what I posted, except to stammer that EVOLUTION IS TRUE because…because IT HAS TO BE!!!!

maybe you should try keeping up with the science…

or better yet, just prove your theory…here, tell me the exact sequence of mutations that led to the eye…

or take a bacteria, and evolve it into a multi-cellular animal???

can’t you say?? you need more TIME…thats all evolution is, faith….

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I’m not responsible for the growth or demise of Christiantity because I have an opinion on Cap and Trade.

That’s my entire point!

It’s insane thinking.

I live in a religious world. Our enemies are religious enemies. Several pressing issues revolve around other highly religious groups, aka, Israel.

I just have personally decided that not much has changed since I was in my youth, in the 50′s, and the first question asked was, “What church do you go to?”

I never have been a Christian. I just am not Christian.

I’m highly spiritual.

But I’m not Christian.

I had no desire to join atheists. They are just like rigid right-wing people to me. Fight, fight, fight.

I’ve always thought finding mutual solutions made sense.

So, let’s find them!

Chris Matthews isn’t for people. He’s about setting up conflict and generating false debate.

He’s obvious. He’s also pretty stupid.

So why is this attractive?

Why not debate about solutions?

AnninCA on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

@ right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Its hilarious that you have to call it a faith to denigrate us. Ignorant people like you make me happy that Christians are losing all sorts of ground on society. 5 more generations and you will be a miniscule minority. You are already a minority, except in name only. People call themselves Christians out of habit, but in reality, they are as far from the teachings of the bible as can be. 5 generations and your movement is not only over, its demolished.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

@ DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Yeah, such morons (BTW, I never claimed to think that the earth is 6,000 or even 10,000 years old). Look at all of those morons coming out of the christian private schools. All of those morons who were homeschooled by Bible-believing christians.

….oh wait…

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Creationism, with snakes attending schools with humans, is going well.

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

and you’re a shining example of a darwiniac…uh yeah a legend in your own mind…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Hollowpoint on May 5, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I said earlier, God created evolution.

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:34 PM

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:29 PM

By and large the Jewish people were not nearly as well armed.
-_-

thomasaur on May 5, 2009 at 10:34 PM

BTW, religion trolls. I finally felt personally embarassed by the “baiting” I did with Mormons in my 20’s. Those guys were terribly sincere and just sweet. I was a bit of a cocky 70’s girl.

Let me pass along a bit of wisdom. Baiting those who believe is not going to be a moment you look back on and are proud about in the end.

AnninCA on May 5, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Another Amen.

Loxodonta on May 5, 2009 at 10:35 PM

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

uh yeah right, didn’t voltaire say christianity would be dead in 100 years??? right…keep dreaming….

Christianity is the LARGEST RELIGION IN THE WORLD…persecute us, and we increase…

the mightiest empire in the history of the world, persecuted christianity for 300 years….and failed….

christianity is growing in leaps and bounds in africa, south america, china…

you lose…now and big time later….

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Strange. Every time I read “proof” from scientist about something regarding macro evolution they always contain such words and phrases.

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Do those of you who believe in evolution realize that it was the basis for the Nazi purges of Jews and a lot of what was done in Russia in killing millions of people. Eugenics was a direct result of the theory of evolution. Some people, Margret Sanger is one, decided that they should help evolution along by sterilizing women who were retarded and other experiments that were taken even further by the German doctors who did some of the most horrible experiments ever devised on the Jews because the Jews were considered inferior by the Germans who were following Darwin’s theory of survival of the fitest.

TruthToBeTold on May 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM

@ right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

No, the eye is an easy thing to explain. First it began with a cell that could detect the difference between light and dark, this advantage gave the animal the edge. It prospered. Eventually, more cells of the type led to a bigger advantage. Eventually the cells recessed back into the animal, which allowed the animal to differentiate movement and depth. Its an easy progression that has been documented in animals VERY well. You should really at least attempt to come up with a better example.

I am done for the night. You people are downright embarrassing.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM

@ DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Resorting to insults again. Man, are you sure you’re not a liberal?

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM

5 generations and your movement is not only over, its demolished.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

The way things are going, I doubt God will wait 5 generations. In no time you will have the choice of where you want your mark – hand or forehead. And remember, just because you hate God and those who believe in Him, he still loves you.

jdawg on May 5, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Its hilarious that you have to call it a faith to denigrate us.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

no, I call it a faith because thats what it is…and the truth hurts, doesn’t it?

you say its not?? well lets see you evolve something then…or give me the mutational sequence for an eye…should be easy…

post your proof…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I am done for the night. You people are downright embarrassing.

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM

BWAHJAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

I knew you would post some just-so story…

I asked for the EXACT SEQUENCE OF MUTATIONS…IN ORDER…

I want details at the genetic level….what gene mutated, and how….for each step of the process…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM

But where did the first cell come from?

jdawg on May 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM

thomasaur on May 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Nope, you’re wrong. A good Christian MAN who believes in this Representative Republic never surrenders his Holy Bible or AR-15. We don’t use either to unjustly harm anyone, but we will die with both in hand.

AES on May 5, 2009 at 10:40 PM

thphilli uses the word “embarrassing a great deal. It must be important to him/her.

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:41 PM

AES on May 5, 2009 at 10:40 PM

AMEN!!!

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:41 PM

AES on May 5, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Amen

daesleeper on May 5, 2009 at 10:41 PM

TruthToBeTold on May 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Thread is now over. Godwin’s Law has spoken.

Hollowpoint on May 5, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Too bad thpilli never answered my query as to whether he was a scientist. That might have elucidated some pertinent information.

daesleeper on May 5, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Many examples of sideways evolution but none on upward evolution.

jukin on May 5, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Pence let Matthews get away with too many whoppers. He weakly called Matthews on his “straw man” deception, but Pence needs to punch harder or let someone else go on TV.

perroviejo on May 5, 2009 at 10:43 PM

AES on May 5, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I can only say that I was not aware that the term AR15 was appropriate to use without the plural. AR15s, dude.

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:43 PM

thphilli on May 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Why bother?

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Our enemies are religious enemies.

AnninCA on May 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Our enemies strive for control, rationalizing their actions with religion.

elgeneralisimo on May 5, 2009 at 10:44 PM

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Argument from ignorance.

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:44 PM

God won’t be mocked. If you reject a Creator then you reject God.

Evolution is the stupidest religion known to man. Lightning from nowhere strikes a rock from nowhere and you get man. Riiiiight. Yah, I know, but it took a REALLY long time.

Mojave Mark on May 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Ladies and Gentleman the logical positivists have left the building! why bother indeed!

daesleeper on May 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Who has the most to lose? If the Christian is right and he has lived his life according to what the Bible teaches and he dies and that’s the END, he hasn’t lost anything of any real value. If the atheist or unbeliever dies and is mistaken and the Bible is true, he will have lost his soul and be in Hell forever in torment.

TruthToBeTold on May 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM

TruthToBeTold on May 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Yeah, that’s why 99.9999% of all biologists agree that evolution is the correct explanation, because they are secret Nazis.

Pathetic.

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:46 PM

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:41 PM

He believes he is intellectually superior to Christians. By using the word embarrassing, he is validating this erroneous belief in his own mind. Kind of a Stuart Smalley affirmation.

kingsjester on May 5, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Argument from ignorance.

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:44 PM

all of your arguments are ignorant.

tell me, are you as ugly on the outside as you are on the inside?

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Mojave Mark on May 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Cuz that accurately describes what happened.

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:44 PM

I’m curious; what is it that you think you might gain if you could somehow deminish right4life’s faith? Even if you were 100% right about all this, how does it harm you for someone else to belive something that you do not belive?

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Pathetic.

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:46 PM

SWEET I am special! I must be in that 0.0001% of all biologists!

daesleeper on May 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Elg…..I agree. But I don’t think they have that kind of self-awareness.

It is, though, about control.

What’s so stupid to me?

That’s an illusion.

Isn’t that what we’re really living through now?

We’re finally out of denial.

AnninCA on May 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM

AES on May 5, 2009 at 10:40 PM

See my 10:34 post.

thomasaur on May 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM

tell me, are you as ugly on the outside as you are on the inside?

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I can only hope.

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Pathetic.

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:46 PM

and if they don’t they’re harassed, sued, fired, like sternberg…by the ‘tolerant’ brown-shirt darwiniacs…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM

King……I am nobody’s mommy. If they wish to sit and feel “embarassed,” that’s OK.

I’m not in charge of anyone’s personal choice of how they react.

AnninCA on May 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM

What does evolution have to do with anything? Was this just an out of the blue question?

CP on May 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM

WisCon

Where did the biologists come from? I didn’t say anything about them at all. Do you feel guilty for some reason?

TruthToBeTold on May 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM

When conservative politicians become a joke for believing in something that is patently false, I have a problem with it.

Do I care that people here choose to be ignorant? Not really.

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:50 PM

God won’t be mocked. If you reject a Creator then you reject God.

Mojave Mark on May 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Do you believe it impossible for both a God that created the world and evolution to be true?

Hollowpoint on May 5, 2009 at 10:50 PM

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:50 PM

we’ll see who has the last laugh…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Hollowpoint on May 5, 2009 at 10:50 PM

yes I do, because ‘theistic evolution’ doesn’t exist, isn’t taught…evolution has clear consequences…

Naturalistic evolution has clear consequences that Charles Darwin understood perfectly. 1) No gods worth having exist; 2) no life after death exists; 3) no ultimate foundation for ethics exists; 4) no ultimate meaning in life exists; and 5) human free will is nonexistent.”

Provine, William B. [Professor of Biological Sciences, Cornell University], “, “Evolution: Free will and punishment and meaning in life”, Abstract of Will Provine’s 1998 Darwin Day Keynote Address.

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM

kingsjester on May 5, 2009 at 10:46 PM

You want to know why people laugh at you all? It’s not because they think they are smarter, or that they are better, or that Christianity is bad, it’s because you have no alternative scientific explanation, and no facts to support you. That’s why. And I know you will just hide your ignorance with the Bible and tell yourself that it will be okay, but to scientists and others who actually study biology, the evolution deniers are just fools who reject science in this one case (because of the Bible) while accepting all its other accomplishments.

And that is why it is embarrassing to be associated with you.

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Given the recent run on AR’s after the election, in many cases the singular is all some can attain.

AZfederalist on May 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Thomas Paine:
“ It has been the error of the schools to teach astronomy, and all the other sciences, and subjects of natural philosophy, as accomplishments only; whereas they should be taught theologically, or with reference to the Being who is the author of them: for all the principles of science are of divine origin. Man cannot make, or invent, or contrive principles: he can only discover them; and he ought to look through the discovery to the Author.”
“ The evil that has resulted from the error of the schools, in teaching natural philosophy as an accomplishment only, has been that of generating in the pupils a species of atheism. Instead of looking through the works of creation to the Creator himself, they stop short, and employ the knowledge they acquire to create doubts of his existence. They labour with studied ingenuity to ascribe every thing they behold to innate properties of matter, and jump over all the rest by saying, that matter is eternal.” “The Existence of God–1810”

Sounds just like many who cling so dearly to the religion of evolution…

jdawg on May 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM

And that is why it is embarrassing to be associated with you.

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM

laughable…why don’t you answer some of the challenges I mentioned before, about the eye, and evolving a bacteria into a multi-cellular animal???

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:53 PM

And that is why it is embarrassing to be associated with you.

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM

oh and you’re not associated with us…

conservative evolutionist an oxymoron if there ever was one…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Let’s see some news reports.

ruthToBeTold on May 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Who do you think are the ones developing evolutionary theory?

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I agree with the comment. I would never vote for a politician that belived there was no God. See, I can do it too.

Do I care that people here choose to be ignorant? Not really.

Then why not leave them alone in their ignorance? Your comments read more like you hate them for their beliefs, or that theirs are different from yours.

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM

God won’t be mocked. If you reject a Creator then you reject God.

Mojave Mark on May 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I disagree. Climate Change aka Global Warming, holy be its name, is the stupidest religion.

I’d rather call an ape “cousin” than ALGORE anything.

AES on May 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Hollowpoint on May 5, 2009 at 10:50 PM

I think God would have an issue with that. It says that He is (1) incapable of doing things right the first time, and (2) that He is a liar.

jdawg on May 5, 2009 at 10:56 PM

I am a plant physiologist. I believe that God created the world. I do not believe that man evolved from some other species. If you want to call missense, base substitution/addition, nonsense, microsatellite and satellite reproduction and deletion mutations evolution, then I can’t disagree. You want to say there is an infinite past which gave time and chance the ability to work against the second law of thermodynamics to ‘evolve’ higher and more ordered animals, plants and microbes, then I’m out on that.

daesleeper on May 5, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Let’s see some news reports.

ruthToBeTold on May 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM
Who do you think are the ones developing evolutionary theory?

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM

about what? perhaps about the tree of life being false??

haven’t heard that one yet?

don’t keep up with the science?

I also posted on earlier that adaptive radiation has no evidence…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:56 PM

conservative evolutionist an oxymoron if there ever was one…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Excommunicate the nonbelievers!

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:56 PM

AZfederalist on May 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM

When the time comes, and it seems to be coming fast, I’ll share.

MikeA on May 5, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Pence is one of the few good guys in Congress but he let the “Leg Thrill” trap him here.

When people who actually believe in God are confronted with the question about whether God created the earth in seven days, their answer should be as follows…

Basically, as humans, we live in four dimensions and cannot possibly fathom the many dimensions God lives in. If he revealed them to us, we’d be incinerated. That is why His Son took on human form.

Has anyone considered the possibility that in order for the Book of God to be written, He had to put creation in terms the authors could comprehend. Humans that transcribed the Book of Genesis couldn’t understand the concept of billions of years.

Perhaps God translated PERFECTLY those billions of years into the seven days humans could understand. What if each day represented 1.3 Billion years (as an example)?

Pence tried to defer to God but allowed Matthews to win the argument because he didn’t offer a position. Ultimately, he pooh poohed the question of 7 days of creation by saying, “Chris, where are we going here?”

Wrong answer.

Unfortunate.

Barrack on May 5, 2009 at 10:57 PM

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM

You are not the one who defines what conservative means. It can mean many things, but willful ignorance should not be one of them, so that disqualifies you right off the bat.

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:57 PM

oh you haven’t heard about sternberg???

As editor of the hitherto obscure Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, Sternberg decided to publish a paper making the case for “intelligent design,” a controversial theory that holds that the machinery of life is so complex as to require the hand — subtle or not — of an intelligent creator.

Within hours of publication, senior scientists at the Smithsonian Institution — which has helped fund and run the journal — lashed out at Sternberg as a shoddy scientist and a closet Bible thumper.

“They were saying I accepted money under the table, that I was a crypto-priest, that I was a sleeper cell operative for the creationists,” said Steinberg, 42 , who is a Smithsonian research associate. “I was basically run out of there.”

An independent agency has come to the same conclusion, accusing top scientists at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History of retaliating against Sternberg by investigating his religion and smearing him as a “creationist.”

The U.S. Office of Special Counsel, which was established to protect federal employees from reprisals, examined e-mail traffic from these scientists and noted that “retaliation came in many forms . . . misinformation was disseminated through the Smithsonian Institution and to outside sources. The allegations against you were later determined to be false.”

linnk

good little brown-shirt darwiniacs…

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:59 PM

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Willful ignorance, it seems, is the primary requirement in being a right4life conservative.

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:59 PM

WisCon on May 5, 2009 at 10:57 PM

typical darwiniac wacko…when are you gonna evolve some new lines??

you darwiniacs only parrot talking points…talk about ignorant…laughable..

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 11:00 PM

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Perhaps you don’t believe in it, but “theistic evolution” most certainly does exist as a belief.

Results 1 – 10 of about 213,000 for theistic evolution

Hollowpoint on May 5, 2009 at 11:00 PM

lorien1973 on May 5, 2009 at 10:59 PM

see there it is again!! polly want a cracker?

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 11:00 PM

its not evolution, its not taught in school.

right4life on May 5, 2009 at 11:01 PM