Audio: Chuck Todd admits the Lauria allegations are serious

posted at 2:15 pm on May 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Laura Ingraham has some fine moments in this interview with Chuck Todd today, but to be fair, so does Todd, and neither really at the expense of each other. Todd agrees with Ingraham on the allegations made by Thomas Lauria about the extortive threats against senior creditors at Chrysler, although he wonders whether the White House may not be pleased to be getting this criticism. Todd suggests that it may be exactly what Obama needs to keep “pitchfork America” on his side despite the Left’s complaints about Obama’s coziness to Wall Street:

Give Todd credit for taking some offense at the notion that the White House press corps would act on behalf of the Obama administration, although I tend to agree with his assessment that it benefits the Obama administration in the short run among the populists.  In the longer run, though, Obama may wind up alienating enough of the WHPC contingent that they’ll … uh … no longer stand when he enters the room?  Todd explains that away as a surprise reaction, at which Ingraham scoffs.

Ingraham’s right about the glowing coverage provided over the first 100 days, and Todd reluctantly agrees, but tries to explain it away as normal honeymoon coverage provided to any new President.  Pew’s study rebuts that explanation, but Todd at least sounds as though he’ll keep an open mind.  Check with him in three months, he says, and he’ll reassess.  He says that a popular president tends to get better press — but one can argue that better press makes a president a lot more popular.  I think Todd has it reversed.

Comments

I heard this live; Todd sounded pretty good. I was surprised.

carbon_footprint on May 5, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Honeymoon coverage? I would say it was sleeping in the same clothes.

upinak on May 5, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I agree, the press is Hussein’s lap dog, pit bull and propaganda organ, all rolled into one. its DISGUSTING.

dogsoldier on May 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Pitchfork America does not equal Populists.

This big government move will only further piss-off “pitchfork America”. I’m not sure Todd, or Ed, really understands who/what defines “pitchfork America”.

Hint: do you like tea?

ladyingray on May 5, 2009 at 2:21 PM

You people just don’t understand. For me to give you Utopia, power must be used. Not the power of the State, but of you, the People. You are my power. You will live in Utopia. You must be patient. You must allow me to do the People’s business. The road to Utopia must be paved with the bones of the Bourgeoisie. There will be blood. You must only accept that class warfare must come.

Stand with me. I am your power. I am your retribution for the sins and greed of the corporations … and those petty Bourgeoisie who think that they know better than the State. They will be dealt with. They will bow to the People .. to me.

- Barack Obama

OhEssYouCowboys on May 5, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Disgrace.

youngO on May 5, 2009 at 2:23 PM

He is a joke. A hack purchased by Immelt and Obama’s payment to GE for the “Green” boondoggle. Whore.

marklmail on May 5, 2009 at 2:23 PM

The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. – Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

OhEssYouCowboys on May 5, 2009 at 2:25 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on May 5, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Well that explains a lot of what we’ve seen from the MSM.

Guardian on May 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Appease the pitchfork crowd? The pitchfork crowd isn’t getting oppressed by Chrysler. The pitchfork crowd is getting oppressed by the government. So the government crushing a private company won’t appease us. Only when Obama, Pelosi, Reid and their entire leftist scumbag crew are gone and we get our liberty back will we be appeased!

chicagojedi on May 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM

its not a honeymoon.

its an Orgy at a Hedonism resort

jp on May 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM

The media IS fawing over zerObama. I do think it has an expiration date. The facade will be chipped away and he will be asked the hard questions. Remember, every reporter wants to be the next Woodward & Bernstein. When they smell blood it will get ugly.

For now we have to watch the press give him lap dances and try not to vomit.

portlandon on May 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Here’s what he said in response to her “Did they treat Bush this way?”: “Do you remember the days after Sept 12, 2001…”

In other words, it takes a once-in-200-years national disaster to make the press treat a popular Republican President the way they treat a popular Democrat President just naturally.

I’d say he proved Laura’s point for her.

philwynk on May 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM

“Todd at least sounds as though he’ll keep an open mind”

Sounds is the key word.

RobCon on May 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Again,

Let me go over the important Union concessions. The UNION thinks that they are too good for Medicare. The UNION needs 55% of the company to pay for retiree health benefits. Every other retiree in the nation gets MEDICARE!

The Unions think they are better than the rest of the working American retirees. They don’t want NATIONALIZED health care when they can get EXTORTED health care sponsored by the NATIONALIZED health care advocate.

If Obama thinks nationalized health care is a good idea, this is a good place for him to start showing it. Deny the union their benefits of a private retiree health plan in favor of the Medicare health plan that other working Americans around the world get.

The union retirees don’t need any more than Medicare. In bankruptcy they wouldn’t get anything more than Medicare. Obama thinks they deserve more than Medicare. Obama stands with those interested in private health insurance over the national government health insurance.

. . . just to be clear concerning what they are arguing over.

ThackerAgency on May 5, 2009 at 2:30 PM

When they smell blood it will get ugly.

portlandon on May 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM

i’ll have my popcorn ready and my feet up with a smile the size of Texas when that happens.

Ghoul aid on May 5, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Remember the good old days when the press was just Biased?

Fake8 on May 5, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Todd is simply handing out the new talking point. “He was just appeasing the pitchfork crowd”. I did it for them.

faraway on May 5, 2009 at 2:32 PM

“Pitchfork”? Trust me, what I have is not a pitchfork and it is on the side of right.

jed58 on May 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM

“Pitchfork America”

That’s what they think of you folks.
I don’t remember Cindy Sheenan or others called “pitchfork America” but having “absolutely moral authority”.

And yes, Laura is right. The reporters do stroke themselves when they say “Mr. President”. Todd is full of it.

RobCon on May 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM

chuck who? Who the heck is Chuck Todd? Tell me why I should care about this mutt? Who cares and why?

pabarge on May 5, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Oh yeah, whats with the picture of Laura looking very 1985? She looks like she just left an Flock of Seagulls concert.

I Ran…I ran to far away…

portlandon on May 5, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I think you could put todd and axelrod in the same room and you couldn’t tell the difference. They both parrot the same line and look just a little bit like hitler. I can’t stand to listen to todd and his glowing description of everything obama. He has been in the deep tank since the beginning and it makes me nauseous.

Bambi on May 5, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I heard this live; Todd sounded pretty good. I was surprised.

carbon_footprint on May 5, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Todd tends to be a go-along, get-along type of guy. He’s not going to get belligerent and challenge every point someone on the right like Inghram makes during an interview, but he can turn around tonight and go on some show like Maddow’s show and challenge not one of her assumptions, no matter how out there in the alternate Kosverse her points are.

jon1979 on May 5, 2009 at 2:39 PM

No comments yet on how hot Laura Ingraham is?

My goodness…. she absolutely makes my heart pound.

UltimateBob on May 5, 2009 at 2:40 PM

RobCon on May 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Ditto.

bluelightbrigade on May 5, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Todd D#uchebag suggests that it may be exactly what Obama another D#uchebag needs to keep “pitchfork America” on his side despite the Left’s those of us who do not like thugs complaints about Obama’s Ogabe’s coziness to Wall Street psychotic press jock sn!ffers

Much more accurate, imao. The nutroots are insane if they think Ogabe is “cozy” with Wall Street.

Branch Rickey on May 5, 2009 at 2:40 PM

The fourth estate became the fifth column a long, long time ago…

phreshone on May 5, 2009 at 2:41 PM

portlandon on May 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Funny–I was thinking the same thing this morning.

Perhaps, though, a more important question is “Who is willing to be the next Ben Bradlee?”

March Hare on May 5, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Pitchfork America = ACORN

They’re already part of Obama’s storm troopers so this won’t help in the least.

darwin on May 5, 2009 at 2:43 PM

UltimateBob on May 5, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Laura Ingraham is a hot piece and absolutely 200% beautiful. and i’m gay. how’s that?

Ghoul aid on May 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I think you could put todd and axelrod in the same room and you couldn’t tell the difference. Bambi on May 5, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Come to think of it, Bambi, I’ve never seen them in the same room :)

Branch Rickey on May 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM

He says that a popular president tends to get better press — but one can argue that better press makes a president a lot more popular. I think Todd has it reversed.

Obama official Kareem Dale confirms White House’s love for MSNBC

nor on May 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM

My goodness…. she absolutely makes my heart pound.

UltimateBob on May 5, 2009 at 2:40 PM

She’s married. Good thing we don’t have government health care yet because treatment will be doled out by party affiliation.

darwin on May 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Ghoul aid on May 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Pretty impressive!

Equally impressive is the ability of the other HotAir contributors to stay on-topic and not notice her sheer beauty. I guess I’m not that strong. Probably why I didn’t do as well in school as I could have. I was always too distracted by all the girls around me. My “other head” was doing all the thinking.

UltimateBob on May 5, 2009 at 2:48 PM

You know what, people don’t like bullies. I don’t see how “pitchfork americans” would appreciate this.

deidre on May 5, 2009 at 2:49 PM

UltimateBob on May 5, 2009 at 2:48 PM

you’re just a red blooded americn male bob. no worries. and i absolutetly love it when she fills in for O’reilly. when the shows starts and i see her face, my eyes light up. i could sit and watch her for hours.

Ghoul aid on May 5, 2009 at 2:51 PM

pabarge on May 5, 2009 at 2:34 PM

ditto

saiga on May 5, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Oh, Good Lord, Ed. Todd is among the most pathetic of the knob-polishing media weenies and does absolutely nothing in this discussion to change or hedge that.

Anyone who will not stipulate right off the bat to the media’s wholesale abandonment of any form of journalism with this douchebag in the White House is to be disregarded.

“100 days of Caligula” should be the starting point of the discussion.

Jaibones on May 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM

- Barack Obama

OhEssYouCowboys on May 5, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Said Obama, as he dined on waigu steak, and his people dined on roots, and mush.

capejasmine on May 5, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Todd’s no slouch. He’s the only shred of brains anywhere near NBC.

That said, I do think a popular president gets better press, not the other way around. Theres no way to really prove it one way or the other, as all presidents have fallen on harm times in the polls…but it does stand to reason that a president thats popular would garner better coverage.

ernesto on May 5, 2009 at 2:55 PM

portlandon on May 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM
———

Remember, Woodard & Bernstein were *NOT* part of the White House Press Corps….

Don’t look for Helen Thomas et al to say one true thing about Obama….

Mew

acat on May 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Ummm, did the last two+ years of leg-tingling, cover-Obama’s-ass, demonize-Obama’s-opposition press coverage go down the damn memory hole? 100 days? Try 2 years + 100 days, as the “glowing coverage” has been that way since Obama announced his run for the Presidency in 2006 (which was his first broken promise/flip-flop as he initially stated he would not run, because he was too inexperienced, but of course the press never called him to the carpet for that).

So spare me the 100 days “honeymoon” period. It has been 2 years + 100 days and Obama has YET to be fully vetted by the press. So Chuck Todd and the rest of the fawning Left can shove it.

Michael in MI on May 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Ingraham is spot on here. This Chryslergate story is important and the media thinks it can sweep it under the rug. The convergence of interests the auto companies, non-TARP hedge funds (perrella-weinberg – who paid Rahm Emanuel 16.2 million when he worked 2 plus years there), the UAW, and the Democratic Party collide. Conflicting interests are a problem for the consensus President. The media malpractice here is an active not a passive activity.

Angry Dumbo on May 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM

No, that would be locked and loaded America. ACORN has the pitchforks, but we’re the ones causing all of the ammo shortages.

crashland on May 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Don’t look for Helen Thomas et al to say one true thing about Obama….

Mew

acat on May 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Ewwwie, I just vomited in my mouth :p

Branch Rickey on May 5, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Pitchfork? Obama’s never handled a garden tool in his life. The only blister he’s ever endured may be one on his feet from playing hoops too long with ill-fitting socks.

BuckeyeSam on May 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Obama is using death threats as part of the negotiating process. First AIG and now, senior creditors at Chrysler. I guess since ACORN is receiving $4,000,000,000 dollars, they have to earn it some way. As far a Chicago thugs go, Obama is making Al Capone look like the Easter Bunny. You can’t just can’t keep making threats like these thugs are doing without backing them up. Only a matter of time until this escalates and someone gets hurt.

volsense on May 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM

portlandon on May 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM
———

Remember, Woodard & Bernstein were *NOT* part of the White House Press Corps….

Don’t look for Helen Thomas et al to say one true thing about Obama….

Mew

acat on May 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM

True. But in the age of media making themselves as important as the story, Helen Thomas dreams of some glamorous actress portraying her in a movie about some hard hitting story she broke. I am sure she wants Merril Streep cast as herself, but I think Karl Malden would be more correct.

portlandon on May 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM

“Never before has the president of the United States announced a chapter 11 filing in a national address,” the petition said.

The only chance to save Chrysler is to get as far away from Obama as possible. The natural group to buy Chrysler products is us.

I for one want nothing to do with American Car Company Soviet style. Ford or Foreign from here on out.

petunia on May 5, 2009 at 3:09 PM

crashland on May 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM

If you think it’s hard to get ammo now, just wait until Assembly Bill 962 (sounds innocuous, doesn’t it?) gets passed.

STOCK UP ON YOUR AMMO RIGHT NOW FOLKS!!!eleventy!!1!!

omnipotent on May 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Assembly Bill 962 in a nutshell:

This bill would require that commencing July 1, 2010, unless specifically excluded, no person shall sell or transfer more than 50 rounds of handgun ammunition in any month unless he or she is registered as a handgun ammunition vendor, as defined. The bill would also require these vendors to obtain a background clearance for those employees who would handle ammunition in the course and scope of their employment. The bill would require the Department of Justice to maintain a registry of registered handgun ammunition vendors, as specified. Violation of these provisions, as specified, would be a misdemeanor.
By creating a new crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
The bill would also provide that no retail seller of ammunition shall sell, offer for sale, or display for sale, any handgun ammunition in a manner that allows that ammunition to be accessible to a purchaser without the assistance of the retailer or employee
thereof.
The bill would further provide that handgun ammunition may only be purchased in a face-to-face transaction and only if certain
conditions exist.
Existing law generally regulates what information is required to be obtained in connection with the transfer of ammunition.

omnipotent on May 5, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Ode to Barackito Obamalini

The audacity of hope was for his campaign
Fear and demonetization are for his reign
His candidacy was rather like that of a Henry Houdini
His presidency is shaping up to be much more like that of a Benito Mussolini

He’s trying to slip it all in under another guise
But to all his fascist action most foul we must still be wise
In spite of all the Houdini lies
Dancing in Obama’s Mussolini eyes

MB4 on May 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Frankly, I’m surprised Chuck detached from the Presidential umbilical cord long enough to talk to a non believer. Fortunately Chuck was able to reconnect in time to enjoy the processed burger.

moxie_neanderthal on May 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM

BuckeyeSam on May 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Barry knows two tools besides his white house staff… The hammer and sickle…

phreshone on May 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Wait till the tea-party crowd gets out their pitchforks!

Steve Z on May 5, 2009 at 3:32 PM

better press makes a president a lot more popular

No $hit.
This is a no brainer.
They have sold us this guy. They continue to sell him bcs if they didn’t, the next civil war would erupt tomorrow.

Badger40 on May 5, 2009 at 3:33 PM

The Chicago criminality of this administration is endless.

How could this happen in the USA?

notagool on May 5, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Laura Ingraham is the worst radio interviewer. She constantly tries to utilize cross examination tactics that usually cuts off any real discussion of the issues. By doing this, she generally get little information worth discussing. I’d like to see Chuck Todd on Hugh Hewitt’s show; Hugh would get something valuable from Todd…

RedSoxNation on May 5, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Sycophants and ass kissers. Pure and simple.

mr1216 on May 5, 2009 at 3:44 PM

RedSoxNation on May 5, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I agree, Hugh is the best interviewer on conservative radio.

I couldn’t stand him during the primaries with the way he would shamelessly shill for Mitt.

I’m going to see Hugh, Michael Medved and Dennis Prager in Sacramento tonight at the “100 days of Obama” speaking tour.

omnipotent on May 5, 2009 at 3:46 PM

ernesto on May 5, 2009 at 2:55 PM

You must be too young to remember the treatment in the press of Reagan, who was extremely popular, and treated like a complete doofus by the likes of Helen Thomas et al. Of course, had he not been popular, he would probably been treated kind of like GWB has been, openly contemptuous, instead of just smirkingly elitist.

txmomof6 on May 5, 2009 at 3:46 PM

oops – probably have been, instead of probably been

txmomof6 on May 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Memo to Chuck – you say Obama’s getting this good coverage because he’s popular. There’s a large and growing group of folks who would say he’s not popular at all.

But of course, not many of those folks (they’re called conservatives) are in the WHNTC (White House Note Takers Corps).

hawksruleva on May 5, 2009 at 3:56 PM

There is a percentage of people within the MSM that is suffering from the ABILENE PARADOX.

The Abilene paradox is a paradox in which a group of people collectively decide on a course of action that is counter to the preferences of any of the individuals in the group. It involves a common breakdown of group communication in which each member mistakenly believes that their own preferences are counter to the group’s and, therefore, does not raise objections.

The problem for Obama may be that individuals within the MSM might start figuring it out. Perhaps Chuck Todd will be one of them.

Barrack on May 5, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Popular or not I just want them to take of the rose colored glasses and focus some criticism on the most powerful man in the world. Is that really so much to ask? We need a different press corps, one that isn’t in awe of afraid of power.

petunia on May 5, 2009 at 4:03 PM

oops.

Link to the page on ABILENE PARADOX

Barrack on May 5, 2009 at 4:04 PM

oops.

Link to the page on ABILENE PARADOX

Barrack on May 5, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Interesting… but this has gone on so long! Shouldn’t someone have stood up and said
‘the emperor has no clothes” by now?

petunia on May 5, 2009 at 4:07 PM

A lot of these morons need a pitchfork in the backside until they show proper respect for ordinary Americans.

RandyChandler on May 5, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Maybe we should remind Todd of the very hated, by the press, but popular Richard M. Nixon. I lived through his press coverage and it was all peaches and cream.

chemman on May 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I repeat. Who is Chuck Todd?

someone help me here.

pabarge on May 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM

should have been wasn’t all peaches and cream. Need a caffeine shot about now.

chemman on May 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Come to think of it, Bambi, I’ve never seen them in the same room :)

Branch Rickey on May 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Heh.

Jaibones on May 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I repeat. Who is Chuck Todd? someone help me here.

pabarge on May 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Liberal wanker from Politico.

Jaibones on May 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM

ernesto on May 5, 2009 at 2:55 PM

You’re a nitwit. There have been very popular presidents who got crap coverage from your buddies in the press. They were Republicans, if not conservatives.

Jaibones on May 5, 2009 at 5:22 PM

I think that if it were up to pitch fork America, Chrysler would just go under. I don’t really think the folks with the pitch forks like the idea of the President of the United States ignoring the 5th Amendment.

Terrye on May 5, 2009 at 5:23 PM

ernesto:

I think the fact that Bush was popular in his first term actually made the press hate him more and go after him more. They made it their job to do everything they could to ruin the man.

Terrye on May 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Okay, tons of comments on other threads, just a few here. Will any network other than FNC cover the Lauria/Chrysler/Perrella-Weinstein story. When the alphabet networks finally cover this story it will be only to regurgitate White House talking points. And yet they wonder why their ratings suck.

Angry Dumbo on May 5, 2009 at 5:29 PM

They will ignore as long as possible, then minimize the story ala the tea parties.

txmomof6 on May 5, 2009 at 6:01 PM

The WHPC are such bitches for the Dear Leader, they would pass along all the talking points given to them by the world famous spokesman, Gibbs, and not even know they were being used.

Kissmygrits on May 5, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Yeah I hear ya, I noticed the campaign wasn’t biased either.

Speakup on May 5, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Someone in that press room jumped to his/her feet first when Obama came in. I want to know who that was.

rockmom on May 5, 2009 at 6:16 PM

its not a honeymoon.

its an Orgy at a Hedonism resort

jp on May 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I just spat my dos equis.

Mommypundit on May 5, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Remember the good old days when the press was just Biased?

Fake8 on May 5, 2009 at 2:31 PM

sigh.

Yes. Yes, I do.

Mommypundit on May 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM

darwin on May 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM

She’s not married.

Mommypundit on May 5, 2009 at 7:57 PM

If these allegations are true, wouldn’t that be a clear case of abuse of power?

Not that it matters if it is, just wondering for the sake of argument.

Still patiently waiting for Shrillary to start leaking inside WH stuff…that is, if they let her be privy to any of it.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 5, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Excuse me, but does anybody really believe that the only reason Perella Weinberg caved was because administration attack dogs threatened them with bad press??? Just speculating here, but they couldn’t exactly say they were going to be booted off the Administration consulting team — which would, of course, indicate a massive conflict of interest — could they?

JM Hanes on May 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM

- Barack Obama
OhEssYouCowboys on May 5, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Thanks OhEssYouCowboys, for putting words to the face. These proclamations are President Obama campaigning to replace God, and must be remembered on election day.

MSGTAS on May 6, 2009 at 10:16 AM