Arlen Specter, Democrat … for Coleman?

posted at 4:40 pm on May 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

If Democrats grumbled about Arlen Specter pre-empting a shot at his Senate seat before, just wait until they hear about his upcoming commentary about the Minnesota recount.  According to Taegan Goddard, Specter told the New York Times Magazine that he’s rooting for Norm Coleman to win his appeal and for the Minnesota Supreme Court to deny Al Franken a seat in the Senate:

Said Specter: “There’s still time for the Minnesota courts to do justice and declare Norm Coleman the winner.”

If Specter is looking for a Democratic primary opponent, this statement will certainly help him get one.

The funniest aspect of this statement is that I’d guess that more than a couple of Democrats would agree with him about it.  They wouldn’t be dumb enough to do it publicly, though, especially at a moment when the other members of the caucus have already gotten their noses out of joint about seniority issues.  At a point in time when Specter should be keeping a low profile, he seems almost incapable of keeping his mouth shut and blending into the background.

If you thought the netroots had it out for Joe Lieberman on the war in Iraq, just wait until they hear this.  Joe Sestak’s phone will be ringing off the hook.  Al Franken could be the first call.

Comments

Al Franken vs. Arlen Spector – DEATHMATCH ’09

Griz on May 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I’m going back to the Praejan thread.

bluelightbrigade on May 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM

I hope the D’s like their newest member!

Upstater85 on May 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Nice try traitor, but we’re not buying your aisle-crossing two-step shuffle.

You sleep with the wolves now.

fogw on May 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Al Franken, angry clown, to be seated on the world’s greatest deliberative body, the US Senate.

Paul-Cincy on May 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Is he doing this to save his ass on his flip-flop from March? He said then that he’s still a Republican because it was important that Democratic power doesn’t go unchecked. Now he’s a Democrat, leaving Coleman the only individual able to check said power.

amerpundit on May 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Its amazing that two buffons on this scale of total incompetence, Murtha and Specter, can actually be from the same state. Obama was right about the state of Pennsylvania and no one knew.

volsense on May 5, 2009 at 4:47 PM

He’s probably not alone – just saying it out loud.

Democrats should be careful what they wish for with their 60th seat going to a diaper wearing clown. They have complete ownership of everything now, and it’s all thanks to Franken – the new poster boy for the Democrat Senate.

forest on May 5, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Maybe Arlen Specter said this just to get his puss a little more airtime………

……… Thanks!

Seven Percent Solution on May 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Oh, interestingly enough, Coleman started out as a DFL member and switched parties to become a Republican.

amerpundit on May 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM

So it would seem. Specter may realize that his public existence is very much on the line, that if he is EVER to be heard, it must be now or never. He’s heard the chalk screeching on the wall and seen the graffiti. He’s counting his last days now.

maverick muse on May 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Except now the Democratic 60 seat majority will be a fault of some Minnesotan court.

radiofreevillage on May 5, 2009 at 5:00 PM

At what point did Benedict Arlen lose all memory of which party he is supposed to be ruining? Glad to see he will be equally loathed by both sides.

Sugar Land on May 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I think this was just a sincere preference for Norm Coleman (perfectly understandable between two moderates of long acquaintance) and perhaps a bit of anxiety over the manipulation of votes and vote counting.

Still, there is no excuse for voting for the irresponsible stimulus program. If he held out, there could have been a lot of improvements from a supply-side perspective but he caved early.

KW64 on May 5, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Daily Chimp Markos is already in feces-throwing mode

Aristotle on May 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Markos is a twat.

Apologetic California on May 5, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Oh, and he also said that he doesn’t regret what he said about Anita Hill.

amerpundit on May 5, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I guess he wants Coleman to win b/c that would avoid a 60 vote majority and he couldn’t be blamed for the fiasco of the Reid/Pelosi and Obama combination.

lavell12 on May 5, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Isn’t the 2010 election over yet? Sigh.

savvydude on May 5, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Where might I purchase the “Al Franken as a Large Diaper Wearing Rabbit” print?

bloggless on May 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM

One thing from Daily Kos:

Keep it up Arlen, your Joe Lieberman impersonation is so spot-on, that we can’t wait to take you on in the Democratic primary.

I understand that Pennsylvania has different laws, but I wouldn’t keep bringing up that Lieberman debacle if I were a nutroot. It didn’t end so well.

amerpundit on May 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I have a very bad feeling about Specter’s mental and physical health. He is pretty old and a cancer survivor. Maybe he knows something that he is keeping secret. What could explain his behavior. He has been all over the map. I don’t like the guy but I hope he is ok.

mrsmwp on May 5, 2009 at 5:17 PM

If Franken appeals to even one democrat, that’s not a hard left liberal, idiot….God help them all!

capejasmine on May 5, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Arlen’s thoughts are like a one-armed man in a row-boat

phreshone on May 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Al Franken, angry clown, to be seated on the world’s greatest deliberative body circus, the US Senate.

Paul-Cincy on May 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM

FIFY

txag92 on May 5, 2009 at 5:35 PM

So, not only is he saying that he wants Coleman to win, but that legally, he did win.

Well, can’t say he’s not independent.

YYZ on May 5, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Oh yeah, I can see Operation Chaos 2: Specter of Death is gonna be coming real soon.

Iblis on May 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Nice try traitor, but we’re not buying your aisle-crossing two-step shuffle.

You sleep with the wolves now.

I’d rather he sleep with the fishes, but I’ll settle for wolves.

eyedoc on May 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM

In case you’re thinking you may have made a mistake by switching parties Arlene, too bad.

We. Do. Not. Want. You. Back.

Knucklehead on May 5, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I think I already know the answer to this one, but I still don’t know why Specter didn’t just become an Independent.

By the way, talking here from Minnesota, I think we need another vote. Too many games have been played in counting our votes.

pjean on May 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I wonder if he’s starting to have some kind of mental problem.

This doesn’t even make sense to say it aloud.

AnninCA on May 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Specter’s beyond parody at this point.

I read about his “Cure Action Network” earlier today, and it seems a bit deceptive if it really funds his campaign. This line really stood out to me, though, as an Evangelical who works in healthcare:

Senator Arlen Specter intends to build a bridge over the valley of death.

???

cs89 on May 5, 2009 at 7:02 PM

This guy doesn’t know whether to sh!t or go blind, as the old saying goes. “Serpentine, Shelly, serpentine”.

Cindy Munford on May 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I always knew that Specter would be an asset to the democrats. /sarc

I couldn’t be happier. This is just fantastic!

DannoJyd on May 5, 2009 at 7:30 PM

From my understanding, that was in response to a question about how if he switched parties, there wouldn’t be any Jewish Republicans in the Senate – I’m pretty sure it was a tongue-in-cheek response. Could be wrong.

Proud Rino on May 5, 2009 at 7:57 PM

From Politico-

Here’s the full excerpt below:

Q: With your departure from the Republican Party, there are no more Jewish Republicans in the Senate. Do you care about that?

SPECTER: I sure do. There’s still time for the Minnesota courts to do justice and declare Norm Coleman the winner.

Pretty sure he’s kidding. Sorry to disappoint!

Proud Rino on May 5, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I believe he has signed up for a sex-change and organ donation as well.

trl on May 5, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Coleman is sure to get screwed now!

kens on May 5, 2009 at 8:17 PM

fogw

He sleeps not with wolves but fishes.

Lummox on May 5, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Pretty sure he’s kidding. Sorry to disappoint!

If only he’d thought of that excuse. It seems he’s backtracked, with the excuse, “Who am I? Why am I here?” Or, in his words, “In the swirl of moving from one caucus to another, I have to get used to my new teammates. I’m ordinarily pretty correct in what I say. I’ve made a career of being precise. I conclusively misspoke.”

calbear on May 5, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Democrats, thanks for ridding us of that smell. Here’s the clothespin we’ve had on our noses for decades.

shick on May 6, 2009 at 4:31 PM