Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on May 4, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

In case you wondered how Barack Obama could promise a tax cut to 95% of Americans?  It turns out that Obama has a very … broad definition of tax cut.  While the rest of us labor under the delusion that a tax cut means the government takes less of your money, Obama believes that any money you might save represents a tax cut, as he hints during last Wednesday’s press conference:

We began by passing a Recovery Act that has already saved or created over 150,000 jobs and provided a tax cut to 95 percent of all working families. We passed a law to provide and protect health insurance for 11 million American children whose parents work full time. And we launched a housing plan that has already contributed to a spike in the number of homeowners who are refinancing their mortgages, which is the equivalent of another tax cut.

If this sounds familiar, it’s because Obama tried claiming credit for tax cuts through mortgage re-fis before.  It was an Obamateurism of the Day in March, too, and I suspect we’ll have to open a complete subcategory of OOTD where Obama expands tax cuts to include supermarket coupons, software rebates, and the change you find in your couch.  I suppose when someone starts with the assumption that the government should direct the redistribution of all wealth, the idea that a mortgage refinance is a tax cut — when it in fact reduces the amount of money one can deduct from their taxes — makes a little more sense.

Comments

Obama was schooled at the Clinton University,

majoring in,and attaining a BS degree in,’IS IS’!!

canopfor on May 4, 2009 at 8:07 AM

While the rest of us labor under the delusion that a tax cut means the government takes more of your money,

Er, shouldn’t that read less? Otherwise you’ll be giving Dear Leader ideas.

Just the fact that our beloved government isn’t taking 100% of our money is a tax cut. Frakking fascist.

rbj on May 4, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Well, that’d be because O!bama considers all money to be the government’s money.

A rather primitive view of economics, to be sure, but very popular on the reactionary left.

N. O'Brain on May 4, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Er, shouldn’t that read less? Otherwise you’ll be giving Dear Leader ideas.

rbj on May 4, 2009 at 8:09 AM

I think that was a typo, but it’s right on the money. When Obama says “tax cut”, or especially “tax reform”, I’m looking for my tax burden to go up.

forest on May 4, 2009 at 8:13 AM

And any loss you make , is like a tax increase..

the_nile on May 4, 2009 at 8:13 AM

I switched over to a phone package that saves me $25 a month. Hey, that’s a tax cut! Thanks Obama!

And I had a McChicken instead of a Big Mac, and saved $1.29. Another tax cut!

And through these actions, 150,000 jobs were created and/or saved! Thanks Obama!

Nethicus on May 4, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Right thinking,tax cuts are tax cuts.

Left thinking,tax cuts are tax increase’s!

Who knew!

canopfor on May 4, 2009 at 8:15 AM

since my house is paid for & i don’t need to re-finance, how will he cut my taxes?

kelley in virginia on May 4, 2009 at 8:17 AM

TERM LIMITS.

This can’t end soon enough.

bridgetown on May 4, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Don’t you mean less of your money?

MarkTheGreat on May 4, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Work for cash, then don’t declare the money on your income tax. That is a true Tax Cut.

DannoJyd on May 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Er, shouldn’t that read less? Otherwise you’ll be giving Dear Leader ideas.

rbj on May 4, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Yeah, sorry about that. Fixed it.

Ed Morrissey on May 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Barack Obama Quote

I can make a firm pledge, under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.
Barack Obama

canopfor on May 4, 2009 at 8:24 AM

TERM LIMITS.

This can’t end soon enough.

bridgetown on May 4, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Presidential term limits didn’t come from the Founding Fathers. That was added after FDR died at the beginning of his fourth term.

Ed Morrissey on May 4, 2009 at 8:24 AM

So when we sell our stocks which have sharply dropped in value, and we don’t have to pay any capital gains taxes (as there won’t be any capital gains) — that’s a “tax cut” too, right Barry?

AZCoyote on May 4, 2009 at 8:24 AM

and

Glory hog.

Why, Ed, I believe Obama is beginning to annoy you.

BigD on May 4, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Yeah, sorry about that. Fixed it.

Ed Morrissey on May 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I still think you had it right the first time.

forest on May 4, 2009 at 8:25 AM

since i quit smoking in march, he can’t hit me with the cigarette tax, but he’ll get me with all the rest, i bet.

kelley in virginia on May 4, 2009 at 8:25 AM

James[Obama], you ought to discover someday that words have an exact meaning.

-Francisco d’Anconia (Atlas Shrugged)

Disturb the Universe on May 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Obama was schooled at the Clinton University,

majoring in,and attaining a BS degree in,’IS IS’!!

canopfor on May 4, 2009 at 8:07 AM

And he’s starting to look really cool in that Jimmy Carter mask too.

rich801 on May 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM

This isn’t an Obamateurism, it’s just a plain ole lie!

KS Rex on May 4, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Anybody who makes such misleading statements is just like a liar.

backwoods conservative on May 4, 2009 at 8:31 AM

I’m still waiting for someone, ANYONE, to cowboy up and ask him the obvious question that Bush would have got hammered on…please identify the 150,000 jobs saved or created and the crazy-ass math he used to claim it.

Alden Pyle on May 4, 2009 at 8:33 AM

since i quit smoking in march…

kelley in virginia on May 4, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Congratulations! I know from experience how hard that is to do.

backwoods conservative on May 4, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Banging
Head
Again

blatantblue on May 4, 2009 at 8:37 AM

How long till there is a internet tax ?

William Amos on May 4, 2009 at 8:37 AM

kelley in virginia on May 4, 2009 at 8:25 AM

You can bet on it. They will find a way. Here’s how they will get me: The application of the “self-employment” tax will expand as part of the Democrats’ “reform”. Anyone or anything taxed as an S-Corp is going to pay more and anybody who makes more than about 110k is also going to pay significantly more Social Security tax – not because of a rate increase, but because of an expansion of the application of the tax (so it will not be called a tax increase). It was in Rangel’s last tax bill that went nowhere due to Bush being in office and I expect it to be in the next one.

And while I’m paying thousands more into Social Security, the MSM will dutifully and unquestioningly tell me I got a “tax cut”.

Oh, and good job on quitting smoking.

forest on May 4, 2009 at 8:37 AM

thanks backwoods. quitting in the Age of Obama has been a nightmare. many days i could eat a whole pack.

kelley in virginia on May 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Congratulations! I know from experience how hard that is to do.

backwoods conservative on May 4, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Yeah, me too. Now all I have to do is give up the solvents. Barry’s making that harder.

mr.blacksheep on May 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I suppose I should just be thankful that we’ve succeeded in framing the debate such that tax cuts are desirable, as opposed to Joe Biden’s nonsense about paying higher taxes as patriotic.

Any chance we can have fun with celebrities by asking them if they’ve proven their support for Obama by asking their accountants to make sure they pay extra?

trubble on May 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Has anyone in the media called him on these 150,000 jobs, or do they just bob their heads and play stupid? Never mind, I know the answer.

Are those flames I see coming from the president’s pants?

scalleywag on May 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I know how to beat this thing. After Uni Healthcare passes, I tell my doc that I am kinda depressed since I am short of cash and could he write me a script for some more?

IlikedAUH2O on May 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Well Ed, in Obama’s defense, if he doesnt actually know what a Tax refund is, wouldn’t that be because in order to have ever received a tax refund one would have to have, you know actually had a job and paid taxes….

doriangrey on May 4, 2009 at 8:39 AM

How can America endure this idiot in the White House for 3 1/2 more years!!!!!!?

purgatory on May 4, 2009 at 8:39 AM

theoretically, if you are in business for yourself, you can just make more money (by longer hours, expansion of business, raising prices–something). but what about the millions on a fixed income: teachers for instance. the NEA is heavily invested in this presidency & while he might throw millions (billions) into education, he won’t raise the teacher pay significantly.

they just don’t get it, do they?

kelley in virginia on May 4, 2009 at 8:40 AM

kelley in virginia on May 4, 2009 at 8:25 AM

No, he’ll hit you with a new not smoking tax… After all, it’s from ones ability to ones need…

doriangrey on May 4, 2009 at 8:41 AM

well, if bambi is going to hit me with a “not smoking tax”, i promise to run out & buy a whole carton of non-filtered & suck’em all. and yes, i will inhale.

kelley in virginia on May 4, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Yeah, me too. Now all I have to do is give up the solvents.

mr.blacksheep on May 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM

In my case, the solvents had to go first. I could never have quit smoking while I was still drinking.

backwoods conservative on May 4, 2009 at 8:46 AM

kelley in virginia on May 4, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Oh, did I forget to mention the new tax on exhaling? I mean after all co2 is a pollutant, well at least according to federal law it is…. ;O

doriangrey on May 4, 2009 at 8:48 AM

i quit drinking a few years back, too. protesting will be my new “vice”.

kelley in virginia on May 4, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Yep. Meanwhile maybe we could play Barry’s stupid game and compare confiscatory taxes to usurious credit card interest rates.

While the much maligned credit card companies might charge exorbitant interest rates in the 20% or higher range, as taxpayers we might be happy to pay only 20% percent of our income to the Federal Government.

Buy Danish on May 4, 2009 at 8:49 AM

When the interest rates hit the bottom we refinanced,without the government telling us that we could, or should. We did it because the math made sense, just as it did several years ago when we also refinanced to save a few bucks.

What a dummy I am, I had no idea that was a tax cut, I thought that I was simply paying less interest to the bank. I guess I am a rube, and should spend less time clinging to my guns.

kam582 on May 4, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Yeah, me too. Now all I have to do is give up the solvents.

mr.blacksheep on May 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I’m half Irish and half Scottish, if I gave up the solvents there would be nothing for my heart to pump through my veins… ;p

doriangrey on May 4, 2009 at 8:50 AM

purgatory on May 4, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Obama, this Congress, and this media are the perfect storm that the Founding Fathers probably had in the mind when they made the Constitution. We’ll see if they built a system that is tough enough to stand suicide.

amkun on May 4, 2009 at 8:51 AM

kam582 on May 4, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Happiness…

doriangrey on May 4, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Obama said some of the job-seekers who may normally have gone to the financial sector would shift to other areas of the economy, such as engineering.

“Wall Street will remain a big, important part of our economy, just as it was in the ’70s and the ’80s. It just won’t be half of our economy,” he said.

“We don’t want every single college grad with mathematical aptitude to become a derivatives trader.”

So not only does he take credit for “saving” X jobs, now he wants credit for keeping workers away from job A and shepherding them into job B. Wall Street: baaaaaaaad. Civil engineers: goooooood.

Maybe besides Obamateurisn of the Day, you could feature quotes by Barak Hyperbole Obama.

Akzed on May 4, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Ed Morrissey on May 4, 2009 at 8:24 AM

public schools…LOL…Thank God for FDR’s death! lol…kidding.

bridgetown on May 4, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Yeah, sorry about that. Fixed it.

Ed Morrissey on May 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM

No problem. But as others have said, you were probably right the first time. Dear Leader: “Rather than taking 100% of your salary, we’re only taking 95%. That’s a tax cut!”

rbj on May 4, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Do you really think this is the work of an amateur?

Tzetzes on May 4, 2009 at 9:15 AM

…Obama expands tax cuts to include supermarket coupons, software rebates, and the change you find in your couch.
Ed Morrissey

Thanks, Ed. A good laugh to start my Monday.

SKYFOX on May 4, 2009 at 9:21 AM

A budget cut to a liberal means not incresing the budget as much as planned

A tax cut for Obama means not increasing taxes as much as planned.

He still can’t reconcile that a large % of americans do not have a tax liability.

seven on May 4, 2009 at 9:22 AM

kelley in virginia on May 4, 2009 at 8:25 AM

doriangrey on May 4, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Or he will take a queue from our friends in China and force you to start again.

Chinese force people to smoke for tax revenue.

Spectreman on May 4, 2009 at 9:34 AM

No, he’ll hit you with a new not smoking tax…
doriangrey

The Sweethaven tax philosophy (movie allusion).

SKYFOX on May 4, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Last wednesday obama became the top used car saleman by seizing Chrysler. Then he announced credit for saving 30,000 chrysler jobs. That is part of the 150,000. The actual truth is that they have all their plants closed today and for no less than the next 60 days. If they crawl out of bankruptcy they will get their jobs back but not nearly all 30,000.

Not there is some truth in here. Their workers do not get checks until a judge agrees to allocate money for payroll. With no pay check, there is indeed no tax withholding It is a tax cut.

seven on May 4, 2009 at 9:41 AM

He succeeds because his followers never think that deeply about what he is saying, nor do they understand how lower withholding results in MORE taxes to be paid next year.

Most of the followers of Obama are also too stupid/poor to actually have a mortgage they would know enough about to refinance anyway.

Neo on May 4, 2009 at 9:43 AM

And the coming tax increases won’t be tax increases, they’ll be investments.
Newspeak.

jgapinoy on May 4, 2009 at 9:43 AM

As of this coming Thursday, when Obama announces a de facto nationalization of most of the banks, interest paid to banks WILL be paid to the government, so it might as well be a tax. “Less interest = less government revenue = tax cut.”

On the other hand, “less interest = less home mortgage deduction = tax hike.”

The government will get the money either way, which is a win-win for all of us, isn’t it?

(here follows the obligatory /sarc tag, for the sarcasm-challenged….)

/sarc

notropis on May 4, 2009 at 9:51 AM

So. . . is the change I find in my couch a tax cut?

Troy Rasmussen on May 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM

This isn’t an Obamateurism, it’s just a plain ole lie!

KS Rex on May 4, 2009 at 8:28 AM

I think that is what a Obamateurism means.

joeswampy on May 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico. That’s the same as a tax cut, right? Thank you president Obamanation.

Daggett on May 4, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I re-financed my mortgage in 2002, and saved $190 per month.
Thank you, President George W. Bush, for the tax cut Obama didn’t give me yet.

Steve Z on May 4, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Daggett on May 4, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Hehe. No claims being made by TOTUS would surprise me anymore.

forest on May 4, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Daggett on May 4, 2009 at 10:07 AM

That might be a tax cut. Doesn’t GEICO mean Government Employees Insurance COmpany?

How about the Geico Gecko for President? He’s a lot cuter and smarter than Obama.

Steve Z on May 4, 2009 at 10:13 AM

But Ed, you don’t understand–it was Obama’s ESP mind-control that gave the supermarket manager and software vendors such warm fuzzies and an O-gasm that they offered discounts on peanut butter and software! It had NOTHING to do with vendors wanting to get more customers to try the expensive brand and come back for more at the full price–those greedy, EEEEEVIL capitalists with cold, prickly minds would never DREAM of such a thing!

You are warm and fuzzy and happy. Big Brother loves you.
You are warm and fuzzy and happy. Big Brother loves you.
You are warm and fuzzy and happy. Big Brother loves you.
(repeat until convinced).

Steve Z on May 4, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Not every college grad with mathematical aptitude can be an engineer. It also requires scientific and practical knowledge, and dealing with FACTS, not wishful thinking.

Naturally, the President of 57 States has no mathematical aptitude, but is a master of wishful thinking, and tried his hand at engineering when he suggested using wind power to pump water up a dam to “store” wind power. Earth to Obama: this WASTES energy, and you would need another dam at the bottom to keep the water from flowing down the river, and it would kill lots of cute little fishies.

Go ahead, Mr. President, send more Government money to engineering schools! You might be surprised what those brilliant young engineers will want to build: offshore oil rigs, liquefied natural gas terminals, shale oil retorts, nuclear power plants, clean-coal power plants–everything America needs and community orgy-izers can’t stand!

Steve Z on May 4, 2009 at 10:54 AM

True. But I suspect from the accent that he might not be a native born US citizen. In fact, I wonder if he is even able to work here legally.

This could be another case of Illegal, Talking, Reptilian immigrants doing the jobs that Native, Talking Reptiles won’t do.

OBQuiet on May 4, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Tax cut, my a**! Every time I have refinanced my mortgage, any savings I get from a lower interest rate go to pay the bloodsuckers in the county government in the form of increased property taxes.

I worked hard to save up a 20% down payment to keep my payments low and avoid PMI. When I first got the house, property taxes were less than 20% of my payments. Now, they are over 40%.

rbb on May 4, 2009 at 11:02 AM

The gov’t makes us buy CFLs. Tax cut! Woohoo! Don’t spend it all in one place.

rockhead on May 4, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Thanks, Ed. Wish this one was funnier, but they can’t all be.

I get a tax cut every time I shop for food. I’ve cut 50% off my grocery budget. Thanks, Obama!

Loxodonta on May 4, 2009 at 11:23 AM

All Obama has to do to extricate himself from this is to announce that he will increase taxes scross the board by 20%…and then only increase them by 10%.

That, to Congress, and Obama, and too many Americans. will be viewed as a tax decrease.

coldwarrior on May 4, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Hawkdriver! Take good care of yourself and your companions. Be safe and successful.

Loxodonta on May 4, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Cookie monster say…..all cookies go to Obama.

No cookies for big bad American people who are hateful and need to apologize for all the worlds problems.

capejasmine on May 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM

DannoJyd on May 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Let’s make it one better-go back to the barter system.
If we can make it mostly that way, we’ll sure be sending a message.
Whadda ya got ta trade?

Badger40 on May 4, 2009 at 12:02 PM

I’m tired of him saying the saved jobs – how do you quantify that? That’s how they’ll play it in the next election debates…he’ll talk about all these jobs they saved and nobody will be able to prove him wrong and noone is going to force him to prove he’s right.

Stevel on May 4, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Aside from the just the outright stupid dishonesty of calling what someone saves from refinancing a tax cut there is also the simple fact that when you lower the amount of interest you are paying on your mortgage, you decrease your mortgage interest deduction as well. Thus your tax bill will go up.

That’s some great tax cut.

Stephen Macklin on May 4, 2009 at 12:39 PM

A lot of people already do that, like many of the illegals and those who hire them. And lots more people are going to have to do that to survive. This puts more of a burden on those who don’t have a cash business but have to claim their income due to a filed W2 or 1099 form. It also worsens the SSI gap.
But this is what happens when they run up huge deficits and raise taxes. They create and support an underground economy.
It will be interesting to see what happens when he socks it to the those who are truly wealthy like hollywood and some of his major Dem donors. Will they still support him when he goes after their bank and investment accounts? Even the accounts that are in foreign banks?

mph on May 4, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Tax Cut is now defined to include each cent you earn that the government magnamously lets you keep.

EconomicNeocon on May 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Barack Obama Quote

Barack Obama

canopfor on May 4, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I got my proposed tax eval on my house over the weekend. Up 7%, after up 14% last year, and 11 the year before. Is The One going to take care of that too?

bikermailman on May 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Is The One going to take care of that too?

bikermailman on May 4,2009 at 1:11PM.

bikermailman:For your sake,I hope not!:)

canopfor on May 4, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Found a dime on the sidewalk this moring. Whoooohoooooooo!!
A 10 cent ‘tax refund’!

GarandFan on May 4, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I GET IT!!! We have been watching an ongoing Abbott and Costello (in black face) routine since January 20th!! I get it! Word play! Making stuff up that sorta sounds logical to those who don’t listen closely and coming up with quick, wordy, nonsensical responses is the hallmark of any good Abbott and Costello routine. (Although they did it a heck of a lot better…) This and the new math they’re spewing forth is just WONDERFUL!!!

Will someone PLEASE call Ringling Brothers and tell them to retrieve their clown car and all their clowns from the White House? I enjoy clown acts but only in moderation.

Driefromseattle on May 4, 2009 at 2:01 PM

A company has 300 employees. It lays of 150. That means Obama has saved 150 jobs.

What a maroon!

Dhuka on May 4, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Ethanol, from corn distilled and bottled in Lynchburg, Tennessee.

Pelayo on May 4, 2009 at 8:10 PM