Zo to Specter: Get out, and take the other RINOs with you

posted at 7:45 pm on May 1, 2009 by Allahpundit

His bit here on Truthers is more fun but the big-tent question is more pertinent. Today of all days, with the GOP at the mercy of the Democrats in confirming the next Supreme Court justice, how can anyone say it’s better to have a tiny right-wing party than a larger right-center one? Forget Specter; he’s an extreme case. I can imagine someone like Tom Ridge, even though he’s pro-choice, voting with the GOP minority to filibuster an especially egregious judicial appointment, but 74 percent of you said he shouldn’t challenge Toomey in Pennsylvania notwithstanding his chance of winning because he’s too much of a RINO. How long are you prepared to wait for the Democrats to overreach so badly that voters will flee to whatever alternative is available? Imagine how much damage Obama can do in the meantime.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Kronos on May 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM

To me, the most important part of the RINO definition is liar. They are adept at tricking people into thinking they are conservative. They do this first by putting an (R) after their names. Arnold got in by spouting on about Reagan and Friedman. The Bush Dynasty is probably the most skilled at tricking people. They are nice people, after all, but there are millions of nice people who should never get near the levers of power.

Feedie on May 1, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Oops need to finish the thought…

Some of them are indeed monsters because of what they believe in, not merely because they are on the other side of the aisle.

baldilocks on May 1, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Props 1A-F need to be repudiated, across the board. Any other outcome legitimizes a tax increase for those creeps in Sacramento.

Arnold is not a moderate. He’s as liberal as they come and AB32 (global warming hoax) is his baby.

Feedie on May 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I agree whole-heartedly! I have never thought Awnald was a conservative. I truly believe he understood conservatism at one point in his life and really believed in its tenants, but he has been influenced by his wife and her liberal relatives that now he is past the point of no return. He is truly as liberal as liberal gets. That is a shame that an immigrant who experienced what he experienced would revert to the same government he worked so hard to excape from.

Neocon Peg on May 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Oops, the should read “escape from” sorry

Neocon Peg on May 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM

You’ll never find out how many people of all colors, ages, races whatever value courtesy and common sense unless you stand up and say IT STOPS HERE. Making common cause with monsters ain’t gonna get it.
warbaby on May 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I don’t think people in the other side of the aisle are monsters. I’ll put it this way: I prefer to work as many people to get things done on issues that we are in agreement
terryannonline on May 1, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Sorry for the time lag; I needed supper.

I assume you’re missing my point on purpose. Nobody said “people on the other side of the aisle” (a phrase with deeply suspicious connotations, given the degree of logrolling traditionally evident in Washington, btw) are monsters. Hillary Clinton, Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi, Al Gore and a cast of thousands most perfectly fit that description, however.

Making compromises to win elections is the slipperiest slope of all, and eventuates in the position of “the ends justify the means.” It’s my perception that the situation has reached the point that very few people under 50 have had any opportunity to see what conservatism means, and as has been noted in this thread, the lefties have been allowed to dominate and define the discussion for the last 40 years.

I’m older, and a man, and have long since gotten used to the idea that I could choose between standing up for what I believe in and be able to look myself in the mirror or go-along-to-get-along in the interests of not being alone. My conscience eventually won out, and the state of the electorate as evidenced by the recent national embarrassment which led to this mess has only strengthened my belief that I’m all I’ve got.

I’d rather have principles than interest.

warbaby on May 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM

YiZhangZhe on May 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM

No need to apologize for the long post, imo. It’s a beauty, and well stated.

warbaby on May 1, 2009 at 10:43 PM

warbaby on May 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM

+ 100

What can I say – You said it all!

Neocon Peg on May 1, 2009 at 10:45 PM

iZhangZhe on May 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM

WOW! +100 I had never thought of it like that.

Neocon Peg on May 1, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Neocon Peg on May 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I might have more sympathy for Arnold if he was just a clueless squish, but he’s been actively destructive. I had a good laugh when he got perplexed over greenies fighting a new power line to a solar installation.

We’re powerless in red county California. Our one hope is a sting to the wallets of blue county nut-jobs. Funny how that gets their attention.

Feedie on May 1, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Californians are taxed to death! I don’t see why they don’t revolt!

There were hundreds of Tea Parties all over the state here, props 1A-F will be defeated, guns and ammo are flying off of store shelves. Middle-class folks with non-Obama-washed-brains are fed up with what’s happening in Sacramento and D.C. If this isn’t the seeds of a revolt I don’t know what is. Of course none of this is being covered in the national media.

infidel4life on May 1, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I’m sick of worrying about political parties. I’m going to pay attention to what these guys say and do, and support them or not accordingly. This obsession with what everybody else will think of us is a loser’s game.

Jim Treacher on May 1, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Coming late to this thread, but I just have to say I love this guy! He has humor and intelligence and is articulate — what’s not to like?

AZfederalist on May 1, 2009 at 11:05 PM

This obsession with what everybody else will think of us is a loser’s game.

Case closed.

warbaby on May 1, 2009 at 11:10 PM

According to Andrew Romano of Newsweek and quoted on johnmccaintomridge2008.com:

Ridge opposes “partial birth” abortion, abortion as birth control, abortion in cases other than rape or incest or to save the life of the mother, abortion without parental consent and travel to other states to avoid notification laws.

I live in PA and I don’t remember Ridge’s views on abortion while he was governor, but if Romano is correct, Ridge may not be the rabid pro choicer some RINOS would hope for. Right now I am fully in support of Toomey, but would be willing to hear where Ridge is on issues today. He has always seemed so ‘lackluster’ in his public appearances.

Constance on May 1, 2009 at 11:17 PM

AP, I take your point that in fighting the good fight, we might sacrifice strength in numbers, but frankly, I’d rather have strength of integrity.

Bottom line, I’m done compromising with people who work to destroy everything I cherish. They have not earned my cooperation, nor my trust. Moderates may do as they please, but I will not count on them when the going gets tough, and to cater the movement toward them at the moment is to admit defeat.

Also, I’m so in love with Zo – anyone else think he’s the Limbaugh of the next generation (in terms of being the top contemporary communicator of conservative thought)?

Animator Girl on May 1, 2009 at 11:21 PM

he needs new music…id do it, but what kind?

ernesto on May 1, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Jim Treacher on May 1, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Vote for the person, not the Party.

That’s why I’m registered non-partisan/Independent.

Yakko77 on May 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Earth to AP. Have you checked out the last 100 days? Do you have any idea how bad things are already going to be? As just one overlooked example, I’ll point out that Chu just killed Yucca Mountain. And the Dem nutjobs like Waxman really think that we can live happily every after with Wind and Solar. Try doubling your heating bill. Ludicrous OVERREACH is HERE today.

The only question is how many exclamation points Obama can add on to the case over the next three years, that he should be Jimmy Carter II.

JeffB. on May 2, 2009 at 1:53 AM

The Bush Dynasty is probably the most skilled at tricking people.

It would be more accurate to say that when it comes to Bush people are skilled at tricking themselves. It was clear in 2000 that Bush was not a conservative yet conservatives are so sentimental that if you say anything against Bush (even criticise him from the right) they regard it as a personal affront and practically tear up. “He kept us safe!” by bringing democracy to Iraq etc.

Never mind that the Fort Dix plotters slipped through the southern border and were only prevented from committing mass murder by a stroke of luck. If McCain had won the election most his policies would be same, the difference being that the majority of the people here would be defending those policies from criticism because McCain makes people feel safe.

aengus on May 2, 2009 at 7:23 AM

I can put up with RINO’s if the Democrats were not all so (exception Ben Nelson) ultra liberal so it could be balanced out. I am not into the purity of losing as some people here are.

Hilts on May 2, 2009 at 7:44 AM

he needs new music…id do it, but what kind?

ernesto on May 1, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I’m with you on this.

I don’t like it.

It’s a big letdown, because the first four measures have the groove…

and then it falls flat.

Saltysam on May 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Zo nails it again.

“So, Obama’s first hundred was, basically, him blaming Bush for the problems he inherited. You mean that “bumbling idiot”,as you liberals call him. You believe he is so stupid, yet you believe he is capable of causing such complicated problems? And, what’s more, your intellectually superior officials and your super-sophisticated media wasn’t able to stop him [Bush]?

See, it’s quite the opposite. The problems that we’re having now is because the Republicans, and even Bush himself, failed to stop you [Left wing nutjobs].

Ya’ll, the reason we are having such a deficit is because there is a deficit of conservatism.”

AP:

All we are saaaaaying, is give conservatism a chance.

Saltysam on May 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I am willing to suffer for a while so our citizens can come to understand how horrible life is under democratic control. This previous mishmash of centrist philosophy has been labeled conservative, people think our government has been “right” based, so they assume that going “left” is the answer. They will find out how terribly wrong they are and the true conservative coalition will be ready: stronger and more principled.

kagai on May 2, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Off topic…why is Progressive Insurance advertising on this site? Aren’t they about as far left as it gets?

JetBlast on May 2, 2009 at 11:24 AM

He’s getting better. One thing, the guy can say “a lot with a little”. And thankfully, too, no tatoos. I’ll be watching for future Zonation video’s. Its good to see a great, upbeat attitude. We conservatives need that right now. DD

Darvin Dowdy on May 2, 2009 at 11:31 AM

The only reason I’m registered Republican is so I can vote in the primary (live in a closed primary state). I support conservative candidates from my own and other states, but not the RNC. The RNC abandoned us and that it takes them so long to figure out what went wrong (and for Steele to still be reaching out to moderates) is disgusting! They just don’t get it! I’m with Zo! Hey, Snowe, Collins, Grahamnesty: ease on down the road!

Christian Conservative on May 2, 2009 at 2:22 PM

And further on the issue, the Rasmussen poll cited in HA headlines today gives this money quote:

In January, 56% of all voters said the Republican Party should return to the views and values of President Ronald Reagan to be successful. Eighty-five percent (85%) of Republican voters agreed.

Zo, you got it, man!

Christian Conservative on May 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM

There are too many Specters, Collins, and Snows in the gop. Many in congress and the senate. They all need to be removed.
Orin Hatchet, Jon Kyle, of course McLame, Lindsey Grahamnesty, as well as outside media like Hugh Hewitt, Morning Joe, Bill O’Reilly, Hannity and all the other hacks. They all want the gop to begin being something it’s never been. To move a bit, give a little, moderation, show compassion, it’s BS. The gop has to stand up, get a pair, scream. They claim they scream but are not being heard. We don’t hear them because they say nothing. When the democrats say the gop offers nothing they should buy the media time and put out ads people will see. Instead they save their money for the Specter type pets.
The same people we gave power too are the same people running the gop DC show. They’re the same people that abused the opportunity we gave them.
We gave our money and support to the California gop because they all signed a NO TAX PLEDGES and they screwed us with 16 billion in new taxes for their own political gain.
The GOP gave Arnold all their money to supporting the May 19 Propositions that will extend our taxes another two years. Arnold is going all over the state LYING about the props NOT raising our taxes.
And Arnold ! My God !! They all pushed him as the ONLY person who can save the state and the GOP and look what we ended up with. I can still hear Hewitt and Hannity pushing this Arnold clown over the real conservative, with a brain and real clout Tom McClintok. Beware of Hannity and Hewitt when they say send this person or that person money. Hewitt pushed for Specter as well as many other RINOS. And Hannity , He’s just a B.J. hack.
Get rid of all incumbents.

MALICIOUS DISORDER on May 2, 2009 at 2:33 PM

How long are you prepared to wait for the Democrats to overreach so badly that voters will flee to whatever alternative is available continue creeping steadfastly toward socialism so that we become irrecoverably not a free country?

I think that’s a better question.

samuelrylander on May 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Another terror attack will be less costly in lives than the pending revolutionary war.

MALICIOUS DISORDER on May 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM

The Bush Dynasty is probably the most skilled at tricking people.

aengus on May 2, 2009 at 7:23 AM

Dude what are you talking about? Most of the time Bush threads here on HotAir resemble Daily Kos. Granted comments in HotAir have the occasional good word about him but there is also people who are very critical.

terryannonline on May 2, 2009 at 2:59 PM

terryannonline on May 2, 2009 at 2:59 PM

That may be true now but during the years 2000-2008 it was not. Harriet Miers nomination and Shamnesty were the only instances where the right refused to go along with Bush’s liberal cronyist big government agenda.

aengus on May 2, 2009 at 6:39 PM

aengus on May 2, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Bag of Pelosi! How about the Bush-Kennedy education bill? How about McCain-Feingold? How about Medicare Prescription Program? How about not closing the border? Seems to me we applauded Bush for the War on Terror (for the most part), for tax cuts, but were undercut by his caving to the left on several issues. We probably would have been even more critical except the MSM was pounding it in night after night after night on the evening news, we were all thinking, “Give the guy a break!”

Christian Conservative on May 2, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I totally love this guy. A young black man that calls it for what it is instead of talking hate. He;s no Uncle Tom either as he rips whites just the same and when he does then by God he’s right. You my man are a hero in my eyes. Screw any of these idiots that try to hold you down. Obama isn’t a Rock Star, but I believe you are on your way to being one. You’re the kind of man and if we must feel a need to make this all about “historical”, black man that should be President. Right on bro!

griv on May 2, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I’d rather have principles than interest.

warbaby on May 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Best single line of the year so far.

Longhorn Six on May 2, 2009 at 11:01 PM

AP, you need to study up on Ronald Reagan. He didn’t compromise with RINOs, he attracted them to him.

fossten on May 3, 2009 at 12:25 AM

That’s my point. The MSM helped to further Bush’s liberal agenda by the way it caused his sentimental supporters to defend him from gettting hammered by the left. The right would be much more effective if people did not personally identify with the guy they voted for and get defensive on his behalf. JMO.

aengus on May 3, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Imagine how much damage Obama can do in the meantime.

Oh look,

Our intrepid blogger, somehow, has finally developed a sense of foresight.

File Under: Be careful what you wish for

franksalterego on May 3, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Liberals have set the agenda for decades. They have done it partly through activism and especially by controlling language.

Conservatives need to set an alternative agenda. Instead of merely responding to liberal proposals and demands, conservatives need raise a different agenda, and force the liberals to be the ones who have to respond. We need to become so dynamic and so effective in pushing that agenda that it is the liberals who have to start asking for concessions.

Now is a good time to start pointing out that the mess that the western nations are in is in no small way related to the adoption of liberal LEFTIST values.

YiZhangZhe on May 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Now is the time to begin teaching that the mess we are in is related to the adoption of leftist values, and the abandonment of liberal values.

The message we need to start hammering home is that leftists have TAKEN OVER liberalism, re-written the vocabulary, pushed out true liberals and their ideas, and replaced liberal values with leftist values — all in the name of fooling/duping the public.

Names, dates, places. When, where, and by whom was it taken over? It’s time to name these treasonous snakes.

Time to remind people that the so-called “environmental movement” was once real but, after reaching its quite modest and reasonable goals, was taken over by leftists purely for the purpose of styming TRUE liberalism.

We ought also to concede that liberalism is NOT necessarily bad — TRUE liberalism staunchly defends the right to private property, freedom from tyranny, and seeks equality of opportunity (through the abolition of laws implementing blatant favoritism) rather than equality of outcomes — and teach that it is leftism that is bad.

Lastly, it is time to fight leftists to the death over the title of “liberal”.

After spending decades demonizing the term, I realize this is a radical prescription. But by having allowed unreconstructed leftist statists to usurp the “good” name of liberalism, what has it gotten the rest of us?

RD on May 4, 2009 at 2:17 AM