Video: Dennis Miller on Obama and Tea Parties

posted at 10:55 am on May 1, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Dennis Miller works himself into a fine lather over Barack Obama’s dismissive attitude towards Tea Party protests on last night’s O’Reilly Factor. In a 2-minute rant, Miller notes that Obama seems more concerned with the feelings of pigs than with some American voters:

Memo to Miller: Good rant, but I think Tea Party attendees would prefer not to be called “Tea Bag People.” That’s been the Rachel Maddow/Anderson Cooper meme.

As for growing “rhino skin,” I know exactly what Miller means. Free-market conservatives get plenty of derision from mainstream media, and portrayals of conservatives in popular media range from idiots to villains. I think Obama and the Left want to produce RINO skin, but we’ll see who’s more successful in the next couple of years.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You voted for Bush in 2004 like I voted for Algore!

Sweet_Thang on May 1, 2009 at 12:19 PM

It’s very possible, it wasn’t until after the election that people found out they didn’t give a rat’s @ss about the fourth amendment, that most of the Iraq stuff was basically a deceptive marketing campaign, that this “wait until the second term” stuff that floated around the talk radio circles was pure nonsense, that fiscal responsibility was never going to happen, etc.

LevStrauss on May 1, 2009 at 1:00 PM

“You DNC Astroturfers really have to revise you seminar training manual. The, “I voted for Bush,” and “I am/was a Republican/Conservative” lines were outed like 10 years ago. It’s a dead giveaway. Why do you imbeciles think it works?”

Umm did you happen to see the last Presidential election? Did those other Bush voter all go to Obama or did some just vaporize? I know my hands are red from sitting on them. We had a saying here in DC, they probably got it around your neck of the woods, “Fool me once…shame…shame on…shame on you…you fool me….uh….you fool me you can’t fool me again.” Some of us are not complete fools. We took the stuttering idiots own advice.

LevStrauss on May 1, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Ed,

Why do you post something like this, when you allow incessant, flagrant trolling on Hot Air? I’d like to think that, if you truly believe it’s not OK for Obama to belittle tea party participants, that you would not countenance overt subversion of your site by obvious agents of Obama and the Dems–they are intentionally violating your own Terms of Use and are doing so with impunity.

Christien on May 1, 2009 at 1:11 PM

strangelet on May 1, 2009 at 12:14 PM

How old are you? Seriously. Based on what you write and the way you write it, I can’t believe you’re out of your teens.

No wonder the country is in so much trouble.

capitalist piglet on May 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Issues matter. Miller doesn’t have to take controversial positions and I do not expect him to. However, on the issues, his unconditioned support of McCain speaks volumes. As I alluded to in my earlier post, McCain was a horrible candidate and horrible on the issues. Miller supported McCain in the primary and in the general. I supported McCain in the general, but not in the primary. I have listened to Miller, he is conservative for Hollywood. I guess he is taking a bit of a career risk. That said, I am not willing to congratulate him or any member of the Hollywood crowd for being equivocal on every issue except the war on terror. Charlton Heston was part of the crowd and he sure as Hell was not equivocal. Like Miller if you will, I just don’t see anything in him.

gotta go. I’m not trying to crush your mellow, just offering my view of Miller and the McCains.

Angry Dumbo on May 1, 2009 at 1:16 PM

I concur with Miller. What’s particularly offensive to me is that I read such derisive comments about anyone who dares to shop at Wall Mart. Yet those same idiots want to claim they are on the side of these people and cram down EFCA.

There’s is such unearned elitism going on that it’s completely pushed me out of the Democratic Party. That’s just not right, nor moral, nor resembles ANY principle I have revered my entire life. I won’t go there.

I’d rather be blasted by you guys for being too liberal than be a part of such snobbery.

It started in the primary. I will never forget my shock when Samantha Powers literally called the entire state of Ohio stupid and backwards. Remember?

Everyone was focused on how she insulted Hillary. Not me. Not one editorial pointed out that she insulted the people of Ohio, shamelessly, and never apologized, either.

AnninCA on May 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Now I think Bush and Cheney should either curl up and die of shame, or fall on their dishonored swords.

strangelet on May 1, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Lord forgive me for saying this, but:

If there’s any justice in this world, the people who insist on undermining our national security by insisting that pouring water on some terrorist thug’s face is unacceptable will one day need the POTUS to extract information from such a person…and that POTUS will decide that it’s not worth doing.

You act as though there are no consequences to being soft on such evil.

One day, you will probably learn how wrong you are. Unfortunately it sounds like that is what it’s going to take to wake your childish ass up.

capitalist piglet on May 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM

McCain won me on issues, btw. I thought he was far more mature and “nuanced” than Obama.

He did lose me on actions, such as suspending his campaign. I wasn’t particularly sorry he lost, either.

AnninCA on May 1, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Is the troll promoting LGF again? I won’t click the links.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2009 at 12:08 PM

That troll (strangelet?) promotes LGF here? Can you tell me more about that?

capitalist piglet on May 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I’ve decided the waterboarding stuff is due to world complaints, and it’s more about GITMO, etc., than even the particulars of the enhanced interrogations.

It was due to the Bush policy that they could hold them indefinitely without any real process in place.

Just my opinion. I think the waterboarding was a sidebar issues, frankly.

AnninCA on May 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM

And,furthermore, Miller is dead right about how the left treated Joe the Plumber.

That was my own turning point, for sure.

AnninCA on May 1, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Maybe he was horrible on the issues, but the more daylight there was between any GOP candidate and Bush, the better for the candidate. It was unlikely that any Republican could have won last year’s election, but before the economy tanked last fall, McCain had the best chance.

As for Miller – take him for what he is: a Rudy Giulliani Republican. Talk radio is full of too many people with the exact same opinion, expressed in the exact same way. Miller is fun, genuinely funny, doesn’t take himself too seriously, and prefers discussion to hectoring and mindless repetition of talking points.

YYZ on May 1, 2009 at 1:29 PM

That troll (strangelet?) promotes LGF here? Can you tell me more about that?

capitalist piglet on May 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I’ve never seen the little astroturfer promote LGF. Why would anyone? Charles has gone off the deep end with his paranoia and banning anyone who doesn’t agree with him 100%. I got the boot for dinging down one of his threads.

Only Charles worshippers need apply at LGF.

Knucklehead on May 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM

the only think I take issue with in this clip is O’Reilly’s assertion that BHO has had an adult life.

Judging from the text of The One’s books, that just isn’t the case.

the mad’s made it bast 17 years old…but he’s not really an adult.

bluelightbrigade on May 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM

The mad man’s made it bast past 17 years old…but he’s not really an adult.

bluelightbrigade on May 1, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Didn’t Obama really mean that his teleprompter would be glad to debate.

TrickyDick on May 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Angry Dumbo on May 1, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Ok, explain to me just what in the hell Dennis Miller has to do with anything?? Did he get elected to Congress when I wasn’t looking??

Most of your posts are reasonable except you keep throwing Dennis Miller in there. WTF??

Did he beat you up in the 8th grade or something??

OMG!! Yer Al Franken aren’t you???? The whole ‘Angry’ thing gives you away.

BigWyo on May 1, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Dennis Miller isn’t the topic.

The topic is what he said.

Agree? Disagree?

AnninCA on May 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM

That troll (strangelet?) promotes LGF here? Can you tell me more about that?

capitalist piglet on May 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Only Charles worshippers need apply at LGF.

Knucklehead on May 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM

It’s sad about Charles. He went from being a liberal, then to center, then far right, now back to left. His blog was always one of my faves but now? Meh. Not somuch.

Key West Reader on May 1, 2009 at 2:02 PM

It’s actually sung to the tune of the “Wonder Years” theme song.

amkun on May 1, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Actually, I was thinking a particular tune from Depesh Mode.
“Someone to here your prares, someone who cares”

Count to 10 on May 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM

capitalist piglet on May 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I don’t know if that is the sum total of her job but she always praises Mr. Johnson and accuses Rush and Beck of promoting Alex Jones. She occasionally throws her own site or former site up just to check her wow power. She’s just odd.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2009 at 2:10 PM

strangelet on May 1, 2009 at 12:05 PM

You are incredibly stupid if you think anyone but the idiot left buys your bullsh!t. You’re comment is based on nothing more than your own willful ignorance.

Is Colfax slow today?

jdkchem on May 1, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2009 at 2:10 PM

It claims to be from Denver. If it is it is working East Colfax.

Nothing odd about it other than it is a serial liar.

jdkchem on May 1, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Count to 10 on May 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Gah. Just had to go and listen to that song again. Been such a long time.

Might as well have been Obama’s campaign song/speech/talking points.

amkun on May 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM

miller and oreilly talk teabagging?

No way am I gonna click that link!

benny shakar on May 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Well, someone who is opposed to American interrogatory self-defense in the face of terror wouldn’t be very happy with Charles Johnson, which is the reason I’m asking. He actually understands what torture is, and what it isn’t.

Thanks for answerying, Cindy.

capitalist piglet on May 1, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Key West Reader on May 1, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I think he would dispute that description of his political progression, but that’s not my job, so I won’t try – except to say I can’t imagine he would ever have characterized himself as “far right”.

capitalist piglet on May 1, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Miller looks terrible. Is he on drugs?

B26354 on May 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Only Charles worshippers need apply at LGF.

Knucklehead on May 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Then I don’t know why Charles hasn’t banned me. I am a Christian, I’m more conservative than he is, I don’t think Bush “bowed”, and I think the Tea Parties are great. But it’s a funny thing. I’m still there.

Anyway, this is way off-topic now, so back to our regularly-scheduled thread.

capitalist piglet on May 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I hadn’t seen the Obama clip O’Reilly shows. Damn, is the guy an arrogant douche or what?

madne0 on May 1, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Damn, is the guy an arrogant douche or what?

madne0 on May 1, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I also agree with the poster upstairs who noticed how remarkable it is that the POTUS now has laugh lines in his speeches, at the expense of regular working Americans and specific television networks.

But he now refers to the swine flu as H1N1, or whatever the new PC name for it is…and of course, Hugo Chavez and Daniel Ortega are his new best friends.

Glad to see he has his priorities straight.

capitalist piglet on May 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Sure, he does.
-He’s for gay marriage, yet votes Republican and thinks Perez Hilton is a douche.
-He’s pro Iraq war and pro-Bush while still living in Hollywood (well, Santa Barbara, but he’s still in the biz & visits the Leno show a lot, professing his stance).
-He’s anti-illegal immigration.
-He’s pro-choice, yet anti-late term abortion.
-He’s wholeheartedly behind Sarah Palin…again, in HOLLYWOOD.
-He’s against gun control.

There are a lot of “Dennis Miller Republicans” out there (Trace Adkins is one of the more popular ones). Just because someone’s not foaming at the mouth & shouting mean things at their opponents, a la Michael Savage, doesn’t mean they’re not willing to take a stance. For goodness sakes, he stood in front of a crowd of 10,000 people in Chicago during an HBO special and said that Nancy Pelosi was stupid and Harry Reid is vacant (in Chicago! Daley land!)…how much more controversial do you want?

He says that he’s often been confronted by the liberal actors since he supported Bush & recounts how James Gandolfini was pretty rude during one of his “war for oil” tirades during a dinner party, yet he still goes forward stating his support for various issues. Should he literally fall on his sword?

rjwest21 on May 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM

One of the funniest things about the left’s attempts to disparage the tea party protests is the fact that they are essentially bragging about the fact that their “Dear Leader” got “tea-bagged.” Do they even realize what caricatures they have become?

secarr on May 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM

That was my own turning point, for sure.

AnninCA on May 1, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Mine, too, along with Palin.

I agree with AnninCA again.

Alana on May 1, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I love Dennis. The thinking woman’s sex symbol. His 9/11 epiphany was shared by many, including me.

JAM on May 1, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Ditto!

vapig on May 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Gotta get one thing straight referring to Fox News. Fox did not sponsor the Tea Parties. They covered them quite well. 4 of their folks did go to Tea Parties to cover them. They did not insert themselves into the Tea Parties’ programs. They were either over before the coverage or after the coverage. They may have had their own adgenda during the their respective programs, but the tea parties were a grass roots movement not sponsored by Fox. The MSM were the ones that said that Fox sponsored the Tea Parties.
I never saw one person waving a tea bag at any of the parties. I did see lots of signs professing problems with Obama. I love it when Libs don’t get anything right. They just don’t seem to have the brain power.

BetseyRoss on May 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM

That whole snicker at the common people thing is really stupid. It makes Obama look like a little snot, not a President.

Terrye on May 1, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I don’t see the Obama daughters being allowed to have a little girls’ tea party during this Administration.

Barry is so thin-skinned he’s transparent.

I can almost see his invertebrate.

profitsbeard on May 1, 2009 at 6:43 PM

That was my own turning point, for sure.

AnninCA on May 1, 2009 at 1:22 PM

One of the most shameful times in national politics in my life time. It was not the question, or the asker of the question that was a problem… It was the answer that Obama gave. And the media, and many other sources of political discourse were perfectly willing to trash an American citizen and look the other way while Obama operatives and supporters violated Joe’s rights, so as to aid in the deflection of an honest national discussion about the extreme leftist, redistributionist intentions of the candidate of their choice.
I will forever have a heightened skepticism and lack of respect for the MSM after that chapter of electoral history.

RalphyBoy on May 1, 2009 at 8:39 PM

OBAMA’S ARROGANCE WILL CERTAINLY CAUSE HIM TO FALL AND FAIL….no doubt about it.

poppieseeds on May 1, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Dear Lord, Please make this true.

Fishoutofwater on May 1, 2009 at 11:11 PM

BTW – Comments on this thread have been absolutely superb from start to finish!

Fishoutofwater on May 1, 2009 at 11:12 PM

LevStauss:

Are you an idiot, or just satirizing one?

It’s very possible, it wasn’t until after the election that

On this much, you are correct.

people found out they didn’t give a rat’s @ss about the fourth amendment,

And I suppose you would be equally willing to condemn Lincoln, Wilson, FDR, and Truman for going even FURTHER?

Desperate times demand desparate measures.

that most of the Iraq stuff was basically a deceptive marketing campaign

Perhaps on your side, but between the WMD plans, the ceasefire violations, the UN violations, the ethnic cleansings, the support of terrorists, and their other actions against us, I think it is safe to say the case FOR the attack was solid.

And how would you know what Bush did in his second term, pray tell, when you can barely get simple facts straight? The man had to cope with a hostile press, a misunderstanding public, constant slander, distrust from our usual allies, and an unpleasant responsibility.

Forgive me is that would be difficult for anybody to muster through, and the results are not yet clear.

that fiscal responsibility was never going to happen, etc.

Eh, One out of three ain’t so bad for a troll, I guess…

Turtler on May 2, 2009 at 1:39 AM

I admire Dennis for “getting it” later in life than some. If only more entertainers would wake up the way he did after 9/11 we would live in a much better world.

gsherin on May 1, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Miller has been on his way for a long time. Sometime in the late 90s he was complaining that he couldn’t say “Hey, somethings that Limbaugh says really makes sense” to a his liberal friends and not get looked at like he just goosestepped through their kitchen.

Axeman on May 2, 2009 at 3:03 AM

BetseyRoss on May 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM

We can look at it anyway we want, but here’s how they look at it: “Oh that’s just from Faux News”, “Oh that’s just from Hotair.” “You’re just some Faux-brainwashed conservative spouting the story that Faux News and Hotair want you to believe…”

And they never have to think of it further once they’ve lol-ed all your sources.

Axeman on May 2, 2009 at 3:14 AM

rhino vs. RINO.

I have the thick skin to take it, but do the McCains?

Mommypundit on May 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM

rhino vs Fat Ass. Some of the McCains do.

Wade on May 2, 2009 at 9:20 AM

capitalist piglet on May 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM

The Cake is a Lie….don’t you get it?
Bush the CinC scapegoated American soldiers for his secret torture program.
There WILL be a truth commission on torture.
You better start thinking about how to deal.

strangelet on May 2, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Miller is right on—

Obama is an arrogant douchebag who thinks he is cool. — Well i got some bad news for him….I sat at the cool kid table and lemme tell you– he would NOT be allowed on our side of the cafeteria.

Worst still, is that he is thin skinned and whiny when anyone says anything the least bit negative.

Then he becomes a bully and threatens you like a big baby…like those poor people from Chrysler….

This guy is a disgrace to the Democratic Party let alone the country….

The founding fathers are rolling over in their graves….

alecj on May 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM

RINO skin is an unfortunate mix of metaphors/acronyms but otherwise right on. The left hates you and you pay for everything.

Mojave Mark on May 2, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Turtler: regarding Strangelet: Don’t confuse this baby with facts. He/she/it gets his/her/its facts from msnbc,cnn, and coffee talk at the local Starbucks with kids his/her/its own intellectual age their only sources being msnbc, cnn, and their own self-absorbed navel contemplation. Things like strangelet don’t take into account timing (it took months for the UN to approve the coalition invasion of Iraq.) Things disappear quickly when one is highly motivated. They also seem to neglect the fact that intelligence from other countries outside the US was also used in the determination to invade. BUSH did not unilaterally invade Iraq! Back to topic:
Obama is a child in search of himself and this outcry of frustration in his direction may be causing a short circuit. Anybody see that Star Trek episode where Kirk uses illogical statements in order to short circuit the program of a changeling computer? Obama and the loony, elitist left may follow suit–except this time, we’ll use LOGIC!

Driefromseattle on May 2, 2009 at 3:19 PM

If the protesting peasants run out of tea then let them drink coffee.
- His Royal Oneness

MB4 on May 2, 2009 at 6:42 PM

You are going to have to learn to make fun of yourselves…otherwise others will do it for you.
Sorry, thass just the way it is.

strangelet on May 1, 2009 at 11:43 AM

You described yourself perfectly, ms. empty-head.

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM

BetseyRoss on May 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Yet another hotair reader who slept through the 2006 and 2008 elections.

Now the teabaggers, they’re great examples of brain power!

benny shakar on May 2, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Now the teabaggers, they’re great examples of brain power!

benny shakar on May 2, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Another empty-head spotted on HA

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Yet another hotair reader who slept through the 2006 and 2008 elections.

Now the teabaggers, they’re great examples of brain power!

benny shakar on May 2, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I would be willing to bet all the hair on my head that the average IQ of those 12 and over at the tea parties is higher than benny’s.

Jamson64 on May 2, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Jamson64 on May 2, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Oh come on now, we all know you people are suspicious of intelligence and education… embrace your anti-intellectualism!

benny shakar on May 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM

benny shakar on May 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Empty head doesn’t recognize his vacuum.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Need more proof Obama is ignoring the Constitution and his Oath of Office? Here it is;

Cybergeezer on May 3, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Just my opinion. I think the waterboarding was a sidebar issues, frankly.

AnninCA on May 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM

The “waterboarding stuff” is part of another George Soros propaganda campaign, not “world complaints.”

Even Google hasn’t managed to plug this hole yet. Try googling “George Soros torture” to see how he’s orchestrating this issue for the “free thinkers.”

warbaby on May 3, 2009 at 11:42 AM

miller and oreilly talk teabagging?

No way am I gonna click that link!

benny shakar on May 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Don’t try to talk with your mouth full, sweetie.

warbaby on May 3, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Empty head doesn’t recognize his vacuum.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Well, it takes a smart fish to be able to say anything intelligent about water.

smellthecoffee on May 4, 2009 at 2:02 PM