Poll: 67% of Catholics approve of the job Obama’s doing

posted at 8:51 pm on May 1, 2009 by Allahpundit

I know I’ve said this before on the site, and I know many devout Catholics’ experiences are different, but having grown up in the Church, there’s nothing here that surprises me. Most Catholics I know treat the Church’s commands as essentially hortatory, to be politely ignored when need be — as in the case of torture — which is why I can’t quite fathom the outrage over a pro-choicer as adamant as The One speaking at Notre Dame. His job approval this month among Catholics is 70 percent, and 65 percent among those who attend church weekly. They’re fighting a losing battle here.

Even Catholics who consider themselves “conservative” politically are more likely to approve than disapprove of Obama’s job performance [49/40]…

In fact, 53% of Catholics voted for Obama for president in November, almost identical to the 52.9% of the popular vote Obama won in the 2008 election. Catholics’ 67% approval of Obama in his first 100 days is slightly higher than his overall 63% average approval rating for the same period. Thus, relative to the population, Catholics have become a bit more supportive of Obama as president than they were in the election.

If the culture wars can’t even deter supermajority approval among Catholics, what’s the point?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

pannw on May 3, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I stand with Jesus, along with you.

unclesmrgol on May 3, 2009 at 10:22 PM

pannw on May 3, 2009 at 8:54 PM

That was one of the best posts I have ever read on this website.

I agree with every word of it, with all my heart, soul and mind.

God calls us to search for His fullest truth and once found, cling to it, no matter what. It’s not people or their politics or hypocrisy that matter. It’s Christ and his truth, His holy Word.

Like the old saying goes, His Church isn’t a museum for saints, it’s a hospital for sinners. And it is our home, where anyone is always welcome back.

God bless you and Jay and everyone here.

Elisa on May 3, 2009 at 11:08 PM

How about abolishing these so called culture wars once and for all?

Do it for the GOP, please. You want to fight culture or whatever – join the damn Constitution Party and call it a day already.

Do it for The Party.

AprilOrit on May 3, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I’m a Roman Catholic, and grew up in North Beach in San Francisco before, then mayor, diane feinstein destroyed the city. This is a classic example of the Catholic hypocrisy that I experienced. The mafia was still quite powerful and visible back then. In fact it was one of the standard career paths for the kids from the school. You went to high school and became a wiseguy. No joke. Anyway, The Church took large sums of money from The Family knowing all well that it was dirty, but they looked the other way because they could build a better sports facility for us kids or improve the school and church buildings.
My point is, that we Catholics are taught to be justify evil, especially if we are Jesuits taught ;) So, many Catholics are justifying their vote for Obama by some means as well. Very upsetting but not surprising.
All I say to those Catholics that voted for him and continue to support him as he reveals his true colors is: don’t complain about where we go from here. “The one thing about making a deal with the Devil is, he always comes to collect.”

JeffVader on May 4, 2009 at 1:25 AM

I am sympathetic that this must be very frustrating to social Cons, all the more so as they have been my idealogical allies in many matters. However, this is yet another confirmation that social issues are not winning issues for conservitives/republicans.

The best you can hope for is an alliance that preserves human freedom and opportunity allowing all of us to live as we choose. The thought of maintaining traditional conserviteive social norms through legislation is only going to drive more and more voters to the party of statism which ultimetly aims to make it impossible for you to live and raise your children outside the new secular ‘norm’.

H