Major Garrett: I was told Obama might not call on me if Fox didn’t carry his presser

posted at 7:04 pm on May 1, 2009 by Allahpundit

And indeed, he wasn’t called on. Did that ever happen with Bush? I know he skipped Helen Thomas sometimes because he didn’t like her and/or the tone of her questions, but did he ever punish a reporter because that reporter’s agency refused to give him free exposure? It turned out to be a savvy business decision by Fox, but then, in our new command economy, it’s hard to blame The One for insisting that he get his way.

My question’s in earnest, incidentally. This may be S.O.P. among president/media relations, although even if it is, the thought that Barack Obama might be grouchy because he feels he’s not getting enough airtime these days is simply mind-boggling. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And apparently The Won is going to appear on American Idol.
Cindy Munford on May 1, 2009 at 9:06 PM

o.m.g. – Are you serious?

Buy Danish on May 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM

yup, that’s what i read over at Drudge. he’s an idol.

kelley in virginia on May 1, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I think FOX stepped up coverage on the tea parties only when they realized none of the other media organizations were covering it at all. Someone had to acknowledge that thousands of people were out there protesting.

scalleywag on May 1, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I completely agree. About two weeks prior to the tax day tea parties, I remarked to a friend that Fox wasn’t even saying much about the tea parties. As far as the criticisms that Fox isn’t a news organization anymore I disagree. Fox has opinion shows- Beck, Hannity, etc. and they make no bones about the fact that they are “opinion” shows.

Fox has just as many left-leaning people on their shows as they do conservatives. I know because I end up yelling at my television about half the time.

alwaysright43 on May 1, 2009 at 9:16 PM

And apparently The Won is going to appear on American Idol. They are punished for making a financial decision but he is going to burnish his popularity by horning in on their best rated show. Hypocrite much?

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2009 at 9:06 PM

What an attention whore.

anniekc on May 1, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Bless your heart, AP.

lorien1973 on May 1, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Dude, this shouldn’t surprise ANYONE! If he calls Fox news out as well as tea parties in not a great light, well no one should be surprised by this at all.

deidre on May 1, 2009 at 9:20 PM

ABC CBS and NBC all refused airtime to President Reagan on some occasions and it was motivated by stopping him from reaching the people directly with his points. They were obstructing communication that was reasonably requested.

rsl775 on May 1, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Fantastic interview.

Ted Torgerson on May 1, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Barry is a thin-skinned pustule of psychological problems.
Oedipus complex to the core.
Little man.

carbon_footprint on May 1, 2009 at 9:26 PM

radiofreevillage on May 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Is it about Fox or the obvious quid pro quo here?

lorien1973 on May 1, 2009 at 9:30 PM

What we have here is Boy-child In The Promised Land. Maybe he’ll grow up someday and realize that the universe really doesn’t revolve around him. That’s not the moon and stars, those are star-struck members of the press.

RandyChandler on May 1, 2009 at 9:31 PM

adults are in charge!

gsherin on May 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Think so? Then why the appearance on American Idol? Perhaps the Arrogant One has been bitten by the TV bug. He’s adored by millions. So He had deigned to appear before the peasants in order that they might more readily worship him.

I hear he’ll soon have his own daily show on NBC.

GarandFan on May 1, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Hey,
Isn’t Idol on FOX?
What kind of trade off is this?
I’d hope the theme for the night is ‘Protest songs of the 60′s’.
Maybe we can get Barry McGuire to do “EVE OF DESTRUCTION”!!!

OkieDoc on May 1, 2009 at 9:54 PM

“EVE OF DESTRUCTION”!!redux

OkieDoc on May 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM

I’m still stuck on the fact that to this day Obama relies on a list of who to call on ahead of time instead of randomly picking names or even pretending to be randomly picking names from the crowd. He couldn’t be more obvious with his running down the list and “Er, let’s see, um, Jake. Where’s Jake?” Looking around cluelessly yet the media just gapes on in adoration.

GWB had nicknames for the crew and even would make personal comments or ask questions, since he had a genuine interest in other people but authenticity is to be scorned, apparently.

KittyLowrey on May 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM

KittyLowrey on May 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Any comment on Dumbya’s nickname for (or “genuine interest” in) Jeff Gannon?

benny shakar on May 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM

benny shakar on May 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Watch out benster – while you are a reliable useful idiot, I’m getting ‘homophobic’ vibes from you, and that just could count as a hate crime in Barackistan.

Buy Danish on May 1, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Which partisan political event does CNN openly sponsor?

radio_pyongyang on May 1, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Uh, they sponsored the country of Iraq for 10 years, when they made a decision to give Saddam Hussein’s atrocities against his own people a pass, just so they could keep their precious Baghdad Propaganda Office open.

CNN also falsely accused the US of dropping nerve-gas on Laotian civilians during the Vietnam War.

And their CEO falsely accused US soldiers of murdering Iraqi journalists. He resigned in disgrace after that one-even Barney Frank called him out on that one, as he was in the audience when the CNN CEO tried to spread his lie.

And a few years later, CNN showed, without apology, videos thoughtfully provided to them by Iraqi terrorists, showing the snipers’-eye view thru the telescopic sight just before they squeezed the triggers on volunteer US service people.

Got any examples of similar torture by “Faux News”?

And I mean legit, credibly-sourced and multi-sourced complaints. No David Brock, no Media Matters, no George Soros.

(sound of crickets)

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2009 at 10:44 PM

benny shakar on May 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Wow, getalife’s lawn ornament showed up.

Here’s a paper towel for you, kid. You have something dripping off of your chin.

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2009 at 10:46 PM

And apparently The Won is going to appear on American Idol.
Cindy Munford on May 1, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Great! another show ruined for me. I guess next he will show up in the Brazilian Rain Forest to be on Survivor. Or perhaps the Big Brother House.

conservnut on May 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Dude, he complained during the campaign that he might’ve been even higher in the polls if not for Fox News! Remember the discussion we had yesterday about narcissism? It is not governed by what you and I think is rational.

Jim Treacher on May 1, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Any comment on Dumbya’s nickname for Jeff Gannon?

benny shakar on May 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Yeah, it was “Benny Shakar.”

Jim Treacher on May 1, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Garret seems to be suggesting not being called on is a bad thing.

Fed45 on May 2, 2009 at 12:01 AM

The stench of the Carter administration in wafting across this country. In 5 years, Oslime-a’s name will be synonymous with Carter. We will be debating who was the most psychologically damaged, and how we cannot seem to find very many people who will admit to voting for this despicable sack of Marxist dung.

csdeven on May 2, 2009 at 12:34 AM

**ALERT**

I was trying to find the link where I saw that Pres. Obama was going to appear on American Idol. It was a Yahoo link but when I went look for it so I could put it up here I am questioning whether it’s legit. I think at this point Simon Cowell has expressed his desire for the president to come to the show. I don’t think he has committed or may not even know about. Sorry, I don’t want to be a fibber. My mistake for not being more careful about the site.

Cindy Munford on May 2, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Journalism is dead. Thank God for Fox. The Tea Parties are a great example of why I say that. The other “news” channels have adopted the tactics of Pravda, and simply refuse to report anything even questioning President Teleprompter, or anything like a movement calling his policies into question…

One day, this Utopia Obama is trying to sell will obviously end up as a massive failure. The only news organization that will have any credibilty left will be Fox. I’m especially looking forward to the corruption charges the Obama administration will be brought up on in regards to GE and the wind turbine conspiracy to bilk the American people. That’s going to make Watergate look like girl scouts on a camping trip…

adamsmith on May 2, 2009 at 7:36 AM

I don’t think he’s just grouchy because he thinks he’s not getting enough air time… I think he’s just that power hungry and a bit insecure that he feels the need for absolute domination. In that sense FOX is a huge thorn in the side of his success. It’s a bit frightening that this one person/party has almost completely taken over the airwaves.

4shoes on May 2, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Not using TOTUS leaves him more then a little challenged in choosing his words. Ever notice how much his speech sounds like an uneducated teenager. I know he’s difficult to follow but listen for him reaching for words. Have you ever played the game, Gossip? He heard about the tea parties and Fox coverage of him, but when he tries to discuss it, can’t come up with the words. He may be a sharp politician but he’s not intelligent.

Kissmygrits on May 2, 2009 at 9:44 AM

And apparently The Won is going to appear on American Idol.
Cindy Munford on May 1, 2009 at 9:06 PM

o.m.g. – Are you serious?

Buy Danish on May 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Gotta have something to replace Sanjaya Malakar with…

bluelightbrigade on May 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Knucklehead on May 2, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Hope you saw my post that the info was from a flakey web site.

Cindy Munford on May 2, 2009 at 1:06 PM

So OBungler’s now a blackmailer…no surprises.

byteshredder on May 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM

The High Chancellor will not be ignored!!!!! Can this be far off?

“I want everyone to remember why they need us.”
RightWinged on May 1, 2009 at 9:04 PM

That is one heck of a movie, and we do need some sort of “V” of course immensely less violent. Fight skills kick ass though.

ProudPalinFan on May 3, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Major, when he does call upon you, take your pound of flesh.

bloviator on May 3, 2009 at 3:58 PM

And apparently The Won is going to appear on American Idol.
Cindy Munford on May 1, 2009 at 9:06 PM

So just how much is this little campaign appearance going to cost the taxpayer? Remember to vote early and vote often.

unwashed minion on May 3, 2009 at 4:07 PM