Jon Stewart: Hey, sorry for calling Harry Truman a war criminal

posted at 3:55 pm on May 1, 2009 by Allahpundit

A follow-up to Wednesday night’s Kinsleyan gaffe: He’s sorry, he’s just not sure why he’s sorry. The closest we get to an explanation is that the decision to drop the bomb was “complicated,” but of course that’s why Cliff May brought it up — to draw a parallel with the decision to waterboard terrorists. The moral calculus about how far to go in roughing up jihadis to save how many lives is difficult, as was the calculus about how many lives would be saved in the long run by incinerating Japanese kids in Hiroshima and Nagasaki to end the war. The fact that Stewart is a hard no on the former yet considers the latter iffy suggests a mentality I simply can’t fathom. Is it just a matter of Truman having been a Democrat, whose motives were therefore pure, as opposed to Bush supposedly getting his Republican rocks off by torturing terrorists? Or is it that Truman’s already been vindicated by history and isn’t safe to criticize the way Bush still is?

He could have tried explaining but instead he mugs his way through the whole bit. Which is what he always does when he gets in a jam while playing serious pundit: Clown nose off, clown nose on.

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart M – Th 11p / 10c
Harry Truman Was Not a War Criminal
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Economic Crisis First 100 Days

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sorry, not buying it.

-Dave

Dave R. on May 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Twit

Tim Zank on May 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

That clown is dead to me.

ornery_independent on May 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

F*** You, Jon.

bluelightbrigade on May 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Not buying it, Jonny boy.

Lance Murdock on May 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM

homesickamerican on May 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM

F*** You, Jon.

bluelightbrigade on May 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Beat me to it.

Hawkins1701 on May 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Please look at the charm and ignore the lack of actual depth to my reasoning! Thank yew!

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Jon does not need to apologize, he is a Comedian. His apology implies a level of seriousness to his show…which it is not.

WashJeff on May 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM

What an idiot

DwnSouthJukin on May 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I used to think this guy was funny. Now I think he is just a first-rate hack.

Spirit of 1776 on May 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Harry Truman called those who complained about his decision to drop The Bombs, “crybabies”, until the day of his death.

Stewart is one of them.

newton on May 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Clown nose off, clown nose on.

Yet somehow he’s always a clown. And I don’t mean it as a compliment.

rbj on May 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Too late pansie, you’re a f’ing criminal..

stlpatriot on May 1, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Stewart is a moron. I wouldn’t trust him with 8th grade homework.

progressoverpeace on May 1, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Liberals don’t have to explain. They say, we believe.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Who is this strange creature “Jon Stewart” that you speak of……..?

Seven Percent Solution on May 1, 2009 at 4:03 PM

No. If he could have, he would have. He didn’t explain it, because he doesn’t know why. He can’t excuse Truman dropping the bomb while saying Bush was a war criminal for letting men be dumped in water, and everyone knows it, so he does this, with no one to challenge him.

Esthier on May 1, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Yeah, fuck you, Jon.

promachus on May 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Jon:

It was “a very complicated decision in the context of a horrific war.”

Why does Truman get this defense but Bush does not?

Otis B on May 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM

That’s my biggest pet peeve about this douche. Every time he is put in a tough spot he just throws out, I’m just a comedian defense, so you can’t take me seriously. Pathetic.

Lance Murdock on May 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I understand what he said. I’ll try to tell you what he meant:

“Jon had forgotten momentarily that Truman was a Democrat. And that makes all the differnce in whether something is good or bad.”

BobMbx on May 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Typical liberal:

World War II – good

War on Terror – bad

rockmom on May 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Allahpundit

Bing.

Jaibones on May 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I’m curious if all our trolls who wandered in here during that thread will come back and stand behind their “he was a war criminal” support or if they’ll change their mind too.

lorien1973 on May 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

“For the first time in my life, I actually listened to informed people as they explained the stupidity of my statement. In the future, I will educate myself on topics before coming to ridiculous conclusions…or not.”

gregbert on May 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

But then, I never watch effing douches like this guy and his little puppet, whatisname. Why would anyone to the right of Jimmy Carter bother with them?

Jaibones on May 1, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Right. Wink wink. He’s not telling anybody what to think or anything. Wink wink. He’s not using his comedian status as cover for pushing his politics. Wink wink.

Farmer_Joe on May 1, 2009 at 4:06 PM

A nuke blast to his ratings would be fitting.

journeyintothewhirlwind on May 1, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Oh Lebowitz you are such a tool!

ObamatheMessiah on May 1, 2009 at 4:07 PM

lorien1973 on May 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah and I’ve got a bridge to sell ya.

Lance Murdock on May 1, 2009 at 4:08 PM

gregbert on May 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

+1000

youngO on May 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Stewart is a sometimes funny menace to coherent thought.
Randy

williars on May 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM

lorien1973 on May 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

5…4…3…2… (They gotta wake up from the Thursday night partying sometime…)

bluelightbrigade on May 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Hirohito bombs Pearl Harbor but Truman is the war criminal…more astute liberal thinking.

DCJeff on May 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Right after saying that I thought, “That was dumb.”

– Jon Stewart, Moron

You should have had a strong case of deja vu when you said this, moron.

progressoverpeace on May 1, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Wait, since when did “just kidding” quit giving the left a pass on everything?

ClassicCon on May 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Farmer_Joe on May 1, 2009 at 4:06 PM

This is an indictment of the viewers of the show. If they think this is news, and there are polls out there that show that its viewers do, it reveals their lack of serious to look into issues.

WashJeff on May 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Amazing, how liberals can judge Bush’s decisions, in matters of war. We were attacked, we had viable terrorists in custody. They had information, but weren’t forthcoming with it. So enhanced interrogations took place, to get said information.

What would you do, if you had to make the decisions? You don’t want to harm the terrorists, so you’re willing to let that info go uninvestigated, only to watch different parts of your country, and countrymen, women, and children, go up in the flames? Not a decision any of us would want to make, but I know what I would do. I’d take the lesser of 2 evils.

It’s true. Obama is using drones, and yes…children, women, and civilians have been killed. Are you outraged at that?

Why are those on the left, so hell bent over not hurting a terrorist, who has already committed a crime, but have absolutely no moral standard, when it comes to abortion?

That mentality, will forever baffle me.

capejasmine on May 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM

“Right after I said it I thought, “That was dumb.”"

I think that about everything you say dummkopf.

Guardian on May 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Darn, and I was actually beginning to like Stewart. Oh well.

Drum on May 1, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Pathetic. Almost as pathetic as the people who get their “news” from him.

Kevin71 on May 1, 2009 at 4:13 PM

lorien1973 on May 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

LOL Me thinks they are here on the defensive. So much crap coming out, right, and left, and daily….they’re trying to do damage control. I didn’t say they were good at it though LOL

capejasmine on May 1, 2009 at 4:13 PM

BobMbx on May 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I agree.

And Stewart is so stupid he probably thinks Nixon started the Vietnam War, too.

-Dave

Dave R. on May 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM

actually, regardless of what explanation you wanted to hear, it’s tough for someone to apologize, and he did, and said it was stupid.

He earned a little respect in my book. That said he’s still a liberal dumbass most of the time.

therightscoop on May 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Douchebag on, douchebag off.

benrand on May 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Jon:

It was “a very complicated decision in the context of a horrific war.”

Why does Truman get this defense but Bush does not?

Otis B on May 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Truman was a Democrat, Bush was not.

djm1992 on May 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I’m sorry Mr Leibowitz, did you say something?
I never seem to pay attention to anything you say.
You’re not really that funny, or interesting.

On the bright side…there’s proof that Alphas can rise to stardom.

JoeAvg on May 1, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Being a liberal, he’s probably too dumb to know that we dropped leaflets on those cities and told those people to get out before we nuked them. What other country in the world would have done that? Also, I wonder if he thinks that Japan’s emperor is a war criminal for attacking Pearl Harbor?

orlandocajun on May 1, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Is it just me, that when I see that stooge’s puss on TV I have this primal urge to kick Jon Stewart in the face?

That would change the dipshit’s expression real fast!

Sweet_Thang on May 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM

It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.” (William D. Leahy, treasonous libtard)

radiofreevillage on May 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I still want someone to ask Stewart, the Moron, why The Precedent has the nuclear football carried around with him, since its only use is, as claims Stewart and the rest of the lunatic left, a war crime. Let them be very specific about how they want to strip all of our defense. People need to hear their lunacy.

progressoverpeace on May 1, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I still think the best part of the bit w Cliff May was when Stewart said that a demonstration atomic bomb dropping shoulda been tried. Talk about completely ignoring the lesson learned by having to drop a second bomb.

Really, what an idiot. Oh wait-I forgot: he’s sorry. Yeah well I’m sorry he’s an idiot

scottm on May 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Whatever man.
I’ve laughed maybe twice at something on your show.

I’ve puked in my mouth a little much more.

blatantblue on May 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM

lorien1973 on May 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Only if you go an find their posts. That’s a lot of trouble for marginal entertainment. The best you could hope for would be that they would twist themselves into a pretzel explaining but the money bet would be *crickets*.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM

progressoverpeace on May 1, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Hilarious.

lorien1973 on May 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Yea, that Fannie and Freddie stuff is such a lousy copout.

Still waiting on that apology. Hopefully we won’t have to wait for it to be a eulogy.

gabriel sutherland on May 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Well, they should, if they want to stay consistent.

When you parrot talking points, it doesn’t really matter what they are.

I missed that thread, but one has to wonder how many of them would even be here to comment, if there grandfathers, or (more likely) great-grandfathers were slaughtered in the invasion of Japan.

That would have been a nice reward to all the GIs who fought in Europe, too. Well done, lads, now off to Japan with all of you.

reaganaut on May 1, 2009 at 4:20 PM

djm1992 on May 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Yep.

However, for me, the apology isn’t complete until he lets Bush off the hook for the same reasons he says he lets Truman off the hook.

He said Truman made a “very complicated decision in the context of a horrific war.”

Which is exactly what Bush did.

Otis B on May 1, 2009 at 4:20 PM

capejasmine on May 1, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Perhaps. I know a lot of conservatives defended Bush far longer than they should have – they supported things that if a democrat did it, they’d howl at.

Maybe that’s why liberals defend Obama’s idiocies. The emotional attachment is too strong.

It’s hard to believe that anyone is seriously happy with the direction this government is going. In terms of the command economy, et al.

lorien1973 on May 1, 2009 at 4:21 PM

The jerk has no principles and is an idiot. I had a liberal professor who thought Truman was a war criminal who purposely wanted to try out the bomb.
Even Ken Burns the lib, thought dropping the bomb was a good idea.
Someone from the DNC or Soros made the clown change his mind.

jencab on May 1, 2009 at 4:21 PM

radiofreevillage on May 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM

He also didn’t think it would actually detonate. So he was wrong on both counts.

Jim Treacher on May 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

I am in the middle of a busy day and don’t have time to see if anyone else has reached this conclusion: Jon Stewart is a disingenuous a$$hole. There, back to work.

Brian Mallard on May 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

I’m not a troll (been here from the beginning and agree with 75% of what gets published) but, yeah, I think Truman is a war criminal.

Drum on May 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Jim Treacher on May 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Powerful argument.

radiofreevillage on May 1, 2009 at 4:23 PM

radiofreevillage on May 1, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Cogent rebuttal.

Jim Treacher on May 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Is it just a matter of Truman having been a Democrat

Yes. Precisely.

pabarge on May 1, 2009 at 4:25 PM

radiofreevillage on May 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Nothing like children from the most spoiled generation in history, whose biggest challenge is to supersize or not, giving moral lectures to the WWII generation.

Leahy was just pissed the thing worked despite his “expert” claim otherwise.

ClassicCon on May 1, 2009 at 4:25 PM

What scares me about all of this is the left has been allowed, yet again, to redefine things their way.

So, waterboarding (which is not torture) has now been declared torture on par with the iron maiden, they can just keep going until we put terrorists up at the Ritz.

reaganaut on May 1, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Jim Treacher on May 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Amusing reply.

Otis B on May 1, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Nothing like children from the most spoiled generation in history

Really? Tell me about my parents.

radiofreevillage on May 1, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Soooo Jon can figure out that Truman had a difficult decision to make during a war. But he can’t seem to see anything that might give Bush the same benefit of context?

The Truman statement has not yet dredged the deepest reaches of Stewart’s dumbness.

petunia on May 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM

He could just have easily not apologized as all. I haven’t read a lot of comments on the left from people who were all exercised about this.

So, I’ll give him some credit for doing the right thing however inept it was.

YYZ on May 1, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Good grief. You really think the two are equivalent?

Drum on May 1, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Nope – not gonna click. Stewart is a complete waste of carbon footprint.

KS Rex on May 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM

You can’t fix stupid.

viking01 on May 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM

He could just have easily not apologized as all.

YYZ on May 1, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I don’t think he did apologize at all, really, in the context of “who’s who among war criminals.”

He’s apologizing for Truman, who made a similar decision as Bush, but Bush gets no apology.

It’s slimy. I mean, I think Jon Stewart is funny and all, but this just isn’t.

Otis B on May 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM

therightscoop on May 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM

When I hear a genuine apology to Bush–who likely saved many lives with the decisions he made… then I will respect anyone on the left. The same people whose lives are likely saved… complain the loudest.

petunia on May 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM

the successful bombing with conventional weapons.”

Ooooh, can I make a dumb argument like a liberal???????? <extra question marks, means, I’m, like, really, really eager, or something.

They weren’t ready to surrender, for one thing…

So sick and tired of hearing that argument.

Anyway, on to my stupid, liberal-like rebuttal…

The conventional bombing was killing way more civilians than the two atomic bombs did, so dropping them actually did them a favor.

reaganaut on May 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM

He’s breathing air and taking space that someone else could better use. What a tool.

IndyConserv on May 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I know 2 jons-they are both full of shite.

canditaylor68 on May 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM

John Leibowitz:Self-hater.

portlandon on May 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM

viking01 on May 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Oh my gosh! I saw you on the DHS watch list…. where do I report you?

petunia on May 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Truman was a Democrat, Bush was not.

djm1992 on May 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I disagree. Generally, I don’t think most people feel that way about Presidents from prior to when we start paying attention to politics, especially in regards to popular wars (New Deal FDR = Democrat; WWII FDR = President).

I really don’t think Jon Stewart was belatedly trying to just Truman slack because he was a Democrat. Just as I wouldn’t put it past him to criticize LBJ for Vietnam, or praise Reagan for Grenada.

YYZ on May 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM

John Leibowitz, Douche Nozzle.

rollthedice on May 1, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Drum on May 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

I agree with Mr. Genius.
He should have sped things up and dropped one on Berlin.

TexasJew on May 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Poor Stewy. Wonder what scared him.

That mentality, will forever baffle me.
capejasmine on May 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Their “morals” are selected for liberal convenience and money. For the criminal part, I’m guessing that a fake equality has them and half the population seeing the world through the eyes of criminals. To criminals, it’s all somebody else’s fault, the cops are oppressing them, and on and on. Soldiers’ uniforms symbolize authority, so liberals hate the military. It’s a very sick way to view the world.

Feedie on May 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM

That’s pretty weak. It wasn’t very complicated. We were bombing cities using hundreds of B-29 loaded with incendiaries. Morally there’s no difference between the two methods of bombing. Why not do the same thing with one plane and the new weapon we went to great effort to develop? Truman would have had some explaining to do if he declined to use the new weapon and continued to put hundred of crews at risk instead.

forest on May 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM

radiofreevillage on May 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Sure, and that’s why it took a second bomb to actually get them to surrender.

Esthier on May 1, 2009 at 4:39 PM

uber twit.

Griz on May 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM

YYZ on May 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Why, then, do you think he let Truman off the hook for making the decision he did, but not Bush?

Seriously, I can’t think of another reason aside from the political.

Otis B on May 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Ask the average American under the age of 40 and they’ll tell you that the only reason we had to nuke the Imperial Japanese in 1945 was because the introspective and thought-provoking comedic irony of Jon Stewart and Seth McFarlane had not yet graced the world…

Seriously. I’m not joking.

If you want to reverse that pathetic degeneration of our culture, then start giving every available penny you have into funding mass media programs written and starring Steven Crowder and ‘Zo.

ScottMcC on May 1, 2009 at 4:42 PM

The WORST ideologue hack is the one who hides behind comedy.

“Oh, I’m sorry I slugged you in the face, lighten up, I was only kidding.”

John the Libertarian on May 1, 2009 at 4:42 PM

You’re wrong ( as always )

Your alleged source is wrong

The Japanese people were told that Americans had cross-breed Black soldiers with apes, and these mutants would be turned loose to rape the women and eat children

This sort of thing was believed, and you can still watch the film of Japanese mothers jumping off cliffs while holding one or two young children.

The civilian population was brainwashed to the point where they were undergoing training on stopping invading American troops with farm tools, etc. An invasion would have been a slaughter, mostly of Japanese

The other option, blockade, would have brought mass starvation

Sometimes, grown-ups must choose the lesser of two or more Evils

Janos Hunyadi on May 1, 2009 at 4:42 PM

my post above was meant for ‘radiofreevillage’, the noted Intellectual Giant

Janos Hunyadi on May 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM

He should have sped things up and dropped one on Berlin.

TexasJew on May 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Then we’d be punished with 50 years of German Godzilla movies – and they’d probably be all defecation porn. That’s torture.

lorien1973 on May 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Might as well pile on…

Yeah, fuuuuuuuuuck you. You’re unfunny.

Republigal on May 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM

radiofreevillage on May 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Someone in the military thought it wouldn’t work. And he was wrong. So? Was there a point in there somewhere?

A lot of historians are pretty confident on this one. Did you know that we’re still using the purple hearts pressed in advance of a possible land invasion? Have you seen the potential casualty figures?

Stewart’s issue is the ideological inconsistency on display. Or the lack of courage. Take your pick.

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 1, 2009 at 4:45 PM