Aw: Beloved crooner urges us to support Obama in anything he wants to do

posted at 6:05 pm on May 1, 2009 by Allahpundit

A mellow, soulful palate cleanser courtesy of CNS. I’m torn: On the one hand, this is the most mindless display of fawning obedience to The One since that creepy Demi Moore celebrity pledge video. On the other hand, the guy’s 82 and so soft-spoken that knocking him would almost feel like taking a swing at grandpa. Sure, I could make the obligatory “he left his heart in San Francisco, but where did he leave his brain?” joke — but what kind of man would that make me? I ask you.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Tony Bennett is a national treasure.

I don’t believe the United States, not being a monarchy, has any men or women who are national treasures. If the country has one, he ain’t it.

He served in the infantry in WW2 and entertained the troops on many occasions.

In Mussolini’s infantry? That’s where his heart seems to be now anyway.

He is a teacher of jazz voice and has held many music workshops over the years. Plus he’s a decent artist and all around great entertainer who really connects with his audiences who adore him.

Irrelevant.

At 82, he’s entitled to his opinion whether you agree with it or not.

Who said he wasn’t entitled to his opinion, 82 or otherwise? Speaking of opinions, you seem to think the rest of us are not entitled to ours.

Get hold of yourself folks. You’re sounding like the maniacs on the left with your intolerance of an opposing point of view.

No, we are sounding like folks who can recognize the fascism inherent in his, “support Obama in anything he wants to do”

Mr. Bennett is a true gentleman who deserves better and a whole lot of respect.

He is not a gentleman as he wants us to, “support Obama in anything he wants to do”. That is a thug at heart.

A class act.

A classic act. A classic fascist act, that is.

Braindroppings on May 1, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Well, you got one thing right. Your handle fits.

MB4 on May 1, 2009 at 8:46 PM

It’s amazing how many people who call themselves Americans and claim to love this country have absolutely no idea what this country is about.

Tony Bennett, your ignorance and foolishness shocks and saddens me.

AZCoyote on May 1, 2009 at 8:48 PM

He’s a brain dead limo-liberal asshole that follows dear leader around like a puppy.

Fletch54 on May 1, 2009 at 8:37 PM

I seem to recall a report of First $asquatch Michelle having some complaints about how the new royal puppy was acting. Maybe they could exchange the puppy they have now for Bennett. He could even use his golden tongue to clean her $500 plus tennis shoes clean if she got them dirty.

MB4 on May 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Shut up and sing.

profitsbeard on May 1, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Can anyone please explain to me why the vast majority of celebrities – i.e, those who live in a make-believe world of fantasy shielded from the harsh realities of everyday life – are leftist liberals?

Oh wait…..

Sharke on May 1, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Let’s say it was George Bush who saw over a 6% decline in GDP in his first quarter. Let’s say it was George Bush that proposed adding nearly 10 trillion in debt over the next 10 years. Let’s say it was George Bush in charge during the quarter when the Taliban were so bold as to move within 60 miles of the Pakistani capital and possibly threaten Pakistans nuclear stockpiles. Let’s say it was George Bush that forced a 51% government ownership of GM. Lets say it was George Bush that was proposing to take a majority control of banks by shifting preferred stock to common stock. Would liberals praise him? I doubt it.

KW64 on May 1, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Tony Bennett really wasn’t very political until after his career “revival” and intorduction to a new generation of listeners 15 years ago. Since then, it seems as if he understands that part of the deal to maintain popularity among the right type of people in the entertainment industry is to make sure they know you’re a person of the left. Pragmatic, but sad.

jon1979 on May 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM

This is kiss ass crap for the industry and pr, meaningless.

Rocks on May 1, 2009 at 10:01 PM

exploitation in the most awful sense, nothing to see here move along, just wait for Nationalized Health Care and euthanasia.

Tony.Tony. Tony.

seesalrun on May 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I went to his concert right before the election and he was raving about how Clinton was the greatest president.
I hope when I am 90 years old and have very little life left, that I will still respect those in my country that I love so much, that I won’t become weak in the knees – and sell out my countrymen.

JeffinOrlando on May 1, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Giving the country back to WHO???

I didn’t know the friggin MOB was a hard left wing socialist organization. Fascist yes, so ok that fits. But Democrat mobsters?

I guess this must have happened when they got big into selling the poison to the kids. Before that at least they had some bizarre code that included the word ‘honor’.

No honor in the liberals, apparently none left even in the mob ffs.

Spiritk9 on May 1, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I’ve thrown you under the bus, I’ve got hate deep in the heart of me…

andycanuck on May 1, 2009 at 11:32 PM

During the Vietnam War, a reporter asked Elvis Presley for his opinion on it. His response was “I’m just an entertainer, ma’am.” Too bad that Tony Bennett doesn’t have that kind of judgment.

Sowell Disciple on May 2, 2009 at 12:00 AM

If you’re actually threatened by Tony Bennett’s opinion, I hope you’re all stocked up on canned goods.

He’s just being diplomatic in his old age. He’s a good guy.

Moesart on May 2, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Yeah, a good guy who dumped his age-appropriate wife to marry some gal young enough to be his daughter. Not that there aren’t plenty of deluded old fools just like him. They and their egos eventually get taken to the cleaners, so there is some justice after all.

At this point, anyone who gushes about Obama this way is either a socialist or isn’t paying attention. Or a complete idiot. And while complete idiots are entitled to their opinions, as long as they can vote we more intelligent types have the right to complain about their being braindead. It’s our country, too, and Tony & Co. are empowering Obama to destroy it.

Meredith on May 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM

Tony Bennett has been a die-hard liberal from way back in the 40′s, same as Kurt Vonnegut, and many others who served in the military during WWII.

His son is a full orbed left-wing maniac, so this doesn’t surprise me one wit.

Nice voice though.

Joe Pyne on May 2, 2009 at 1:33 AM

Tony who?

Cylor on May 2, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Wait, he’s still alive?

amkun on May 2, 2009 at 6:39 AM

Tony Bennett is entitled to his opinion, though I do believe he may now be displaying the beginning symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease.

pilamaye on May 2, 2009 at 8:02 AM

but what kind of man would that make me? I ask you.

Good God Allah…..

It would make to the antithesis of the beta male. That is why you’re having such a hard time with it.

csdeven on May 2, 2009 at 9:35 AM

It would make to YOU the antithesis of the beta male. That is why you’re having such a hard time with it.

csdeven on May 2, 2009 at 9:35 AM

csdeven on May 2, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Shut up and sing you crazy old coot.

csdeven on May 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM

He left his balls in San Francisco

Wade on May 2, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Braindroppings on May 1, 2009 at 7:54 PM

You’re right, he IS entitled to his opinion, and now that he’s graced us with it, we’re entitled to ours.

He would be a class act if he demurred expressing his political opinion and thus alienate half of his potential audience. But he didn’t, so he’s not. A class act is Brooks and Dunn(?), who graciously allowed use of their song at the DNC last year, although they’re not Democrats.

JeffWeimer on May 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Aw: Beloved crooner urges us to support Obama in anything he wants to do

Tony, at one time, you may have left something in a once beautiful, and magical San Francisco. But just a little advice, don’t go back to look now, because it’s all turned disgustingly queer.

byteshredder on May 2, 2009 at 2:06 PM

This American treasure is too senile to recognize that the country Obama is giving back bares little resemblance to the America we have all (but the left) loved.

Don’t these jerk entertainers recognize that their political opinion only alienates half their audience…and for no reason….thier opinion means nothing.

I am so happy to know that a man who has millions ie; Knock out health insurance, a job that most people would die for, a beautiful home that isn’t mortgaged, and is too old to really give a Pelosi about the trillions of dollars Obama’s spending…… LIKES OBAMA…. OH GOOD….AIN’T HE JUST THE MAN.

Ernest on May 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM

He gave his heart to Nancy Pelosi

Kini on May 2, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Never did care for his singing much.
He has the right to his opinion, even if he is a moron.
However, I will support Obama if wishes to resign immediately; I’ll type up the letter myself and he can even use my favorite fountain pen to sign it.

Tony, shut up!

Bubba Redneck on May 2, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Yeah, well when Grandpa kicks you in the balls (which in my mind is the equivalent of supporting Hussein’s policies), then one would be perfectly justified in taking a swing at him.

UltimateBob on May 2, 2009 at 6:19 PM

It would be mean-spirited to make fun of someone’s mental state at that age, but there’s nothing wrong with challenging someone’s flawed political views, regardless of how old they are.

It can be done respectfully, and Tony Bennett might be worthy of some respect. Perez Hilton and Michael Musto, not so much.

UltimateBob on May 2, 2009 at 6:25 PM

tony i thought you were dead well atleast your head is

wade underhile on May 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM