Video: Biden’s “symphony of stupid”

posted at 12:55 pm on April 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Moe Lane at Redstate sent this to me, asking to count the flubs Joe Biden makes in this interview, but it’s difficult to keep up. Biden starts off by saying that closing the border is somehow much more difficult than closing schools all over the country. The VP then wonders whether we should close the border with Canada when they’ve had no big outbreak of the flu, and I finally stopped counting when Biden tells Americans to stay out of all confined areas.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Matt Lauer hits the nail on the head when he challenges Obama’s horse-barn analogy and compares it to a water-main break instead. You have to turn off the water temporarily to fix the pipe and clean up the damage, Lauer says, but Biden rejects that analogy. But maybe this PSA for the American flight industry captures Biden’s boneheadedness best:

BIDEN: I would tell members of my family, and I have, that I wouldn’t go anywhere in confined places now. It’s not that it’s going to Mexico, in a confined aircraft when one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft. That’s me. I would not be, if I had another way, another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway.

Sounds like a great argument against public transportation in general, as I wrote earlier today. Maybe we should get the Obama administration to fight the spread of public transportation instead of carbon dioxide, as it sounds like airplanes, trains, and subways are the real health hazard.

Update: The White House had Biden, er, clarify his remarks:

The White House quickly arranged for Biden to make this statement through a spokesperson.

“On the Today Show this morning, the vice president was asked what he would tell a family member who was considering air travel to Mexico this week. The advice he is giving family members is the same advice the administration is giving to all Americans: that they should avoid unnecessary air travel to and from Mexico. If they are sick, they should avoid airplanes and other confined public spaces, such as subways. This is the advice the vice president has given family members who are traveling by commercial airline this week. As the president said just last night, every American should take the same steps you would take to prevent any other flu: Keep your hands washed; cover your mouth when you cough; stay home from work if you’re sick and keep your children home from school if they’re sick.”

So now it is all about Mexico. Hmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

*hehe….Gibbs is almost as much fun as Biden.

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:57 PM

And more beautiful.

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM

He was doing fine until Matt asked him a question.

Ted Torgerson on April 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM

bluebright, I am not seeing that the GOP will recover by 2010, unless…..and we’ll have to see…we start seeing the inefficiencies of the stimulus money being spent start rolling in.

I’m convinced, personally, there will be so much graft involved that it will kill enthusiasm.

But…wait, Biden is in charge of oversight.

Let me revise. I’m ABSOLUTELY convinced that it will blow up. :)

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:59 PM

He was doing fine until Matt asked him a question.

Ted Torgerson on April 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Yeah, but the “horse” has long since been “out of the barn” concerning Biden’s idiocy.

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 2:00 PM

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 1:54 PM

um, i did vote. i voted that old POS mccain. i also voted for george bush. twice. and i will be voting in 2010 as well. but you’re right. while liberals spent the entire 8 years wishing for all sorts of horrible things to happen for republicans and catholics, etc. i’ll just sit here like a good little girl and pray that liberal policies fail. i already know they will. the thing is, we will all suffer for it.

Ghoul aid on April 30, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I held it down, and it worked. Thank you!

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM

My pleasure.

curved space on April 30, 2009 at 2:02 PM

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:59 PM

I agree.

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Biden is just enchanted with all that money he gets to look after. Who could talk straight with that on their conscience?

kirkill on April 30, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I think the press is noticing that Jake Tapper is the star, and that’s because the guy is doing his job. He was good in the primaries, too.

He has raised the bar in a reasonable fashion and making Obama and Gibbs answer for past promises, statements, etc.

The guy is actually a journalist.

He’s also dead-bang cute. :)

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Ghoul aid on April 30, 2009 at 2:01 PM

You said “pray.” Don’t get huffy over it, now that the horse is out of the barn.

And the next time you venture into misogyny, please remember that there’s nothing wrong with a combo of faith & works.

Finally…”voting” and “getting out the vote” are not the same thing.

Work harder.

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Work harder.

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Millions of illegals are counting on you, even more when we get amnesty stuffed down our throats!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Watching Biden reminds me how I miss getalife… *sigh*

DarkCurrent on April 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Well, I think that we need a reform amnesty bill. I’m really pulling for work permits, personally. In So. Cal., our economy definitely depends upon immigrant workers, particularly in agriculture.

The biggest downside is no longer education resources. Enrollment of immigrants is dropping here, due to cutbacks in jobs.

We still face a real problem with healthcare, but that is also because hospitals are serving as centers for the flu and other minor stuff and charging the government outrageous fees. Community centers really are the answer to that one.

Our own policies on crime so far work. They get jailed here. Gangs are gang.

We have a mutually interdependent society here in So. Cal, in other words, on Mexico.

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM

lol :)

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Gesundheit.

Joe can speak Austrian?

andycanuck on April 30, 2009 at 2:33 PM

He’s a stream of unconsciousness speaker.

Maquis on April 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Watching Biden reminds me how I miss getalife… *sigh*

DarkCurrent on April 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM

The adults are in charge now.

The president has saved Chrysler and pigs.

Remember an ACORN a day keeps the squirrels in the White House and the Vice President happy.

/getalife

(Well, I tried to cheer you up.)

Yoop on April 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I am not seeing that the GOP will recover by 2010
AnninCA on April 30, 2009

I think it’s worse than that. The indoctrination of America through the school system, liberal media and the general dumbing down of society has guaranteed far left politics will dominate the nation for generations. Statism is here to stay.

Goodeye_Closed on April 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Should be easy to check what he meant – how are his family members traveling around this week?

Phoenician on April 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

And the strike against Palin was that she’d be a heartbeat away from the Oval Office.

BuckeyeSam on April 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I can remember, in the not so distant past, that it was a widely held belief, you were unfit for the vice-presidency if you mis-spelled “potato”

franksalterego on April 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

i love biden. he is so hilarious.

kelley in virginia on April 30, 2009 at 3:20 PM

People used to say that we’d have a black president when pigs fly. Well, 100 days into Obama’s administration and swine flu. :-)

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Poor ol’ Joe just isn’t used to having what he says lead to consequences… or even people listening to what he says. He’s the bullwinkle of the U.S. Seante. Evem when folks were listening they didn’t understand a word he said or even care.

Griz on April 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Ugh. Keep the day job coldwarrior :(

DarkCurrent on April 30, 2009 at 3:52 PM

DON’T MESS WITH JOE!!!!! Else, the big O will come after you. Only thing good to say about Joe is, it appears he doesn’t use a telepromter or if he does he writes his own material. At least he provides some comic relief.

hillbilly on April 30, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Really…What is going on with the quality of the elected representatives in America? It’s a long way from the days of Washington and Lincoln. These guys and gals are MORE idiotic than the people who elected them….and that’s hard to do.

They’re all bad but the Democrats take the cake. with people like Franks, Pelosi, Reid, Biden, Blagovich, Jefferson (La.) Conyers, Murtha, etc., it’s like a tragic circus.

Goodeye_Closed on April 30, 2009 at 4:17 PM

They told us if I voted for McCain we’d have an idiot for Vice President, and they were right.

eaglewingz08 on April 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Gibbs has come forth and told us what biden meant to say. It sounds to me that Biden says what he means to say. Actually Biden’s biggest problem is he means what he says.

seven on April 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Delta, USAir, Southwest, etc.: Mr. Vice President, do you have $500 billion for a bailout? Somebody sneezed in our planes!

Big-city mayors: Mr. Vice President, people aren’t riding the subways anymore, and the traffic is killing us! When do we get money to widen the streets? From a carbon tax on cars?

Steve Z on April 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I read this Politico article earlier, Obama works to avoid being exciting (didn’t know he had to work at it), and found the following comment to be rather amusing, an instant classic:

SparkyDash
Party: NA Reply #1

Date: Apr. 30, 2009 – 5:52 AM EST

——————————————————————————–

Great article John Harris and Jonathan Martin…thank you.

“No Drama Obama” … I like it. I hear the thoughtful, intelligent, low-key delivery of this President’s words very clearly. I usually feel calm and understand issues after Mr. Obama has spoken. I like that understated delivery when clearly the gravity of our economy, jobs, foreign affairs, etc. are maxed. I want to know that the person in charge is not overwhelmed and that he or she has a very strong team behind them. At the same time I love seeing and hearing the very human, honest energy and passion of Joe Biden. The now famous Yin and Yang works for me.

Barf.

misslizzi on April 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM

LOL…I love this: “I hear the thoughtful, intelligent, low-key delivery of this President’s words very clearly. I usually feel calm and understand issues after Mr. Obama has spoken.”

OK, SparkyDash, explain TARP and the auto bailouts to me.

Typical O-bot.

ddrintn on April 30, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Work harder.

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

work harder????? oh no. i think the republican party up there in washington should be working just a tad bit harder, not me.

Ghoul aid on April 30, 2009 at 5:55 PM

You know, Ship of Fools was a pre-cumentary of the Obama administration

billypaintbrush on April 30, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Imagine, in eight years he will be president. Yes. After the illegals amnesty sets in and the addition of 10-15 million more Democrat voters, they may never lose again.

President Joe Biden. Imagine.

curved space on April 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Oh yeah, that is being discussed today. Amnesty, oh, uh, I’m sorry, ‘comprehensive immigration’. If the Mexican pigs don’t kill us, their allegiance to welfare will.

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM

There is still hope. Epidemics always hit cities and the poor hardest.
I would still prefer a good quarantine.

darktood on April 30, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Seems the trolls avoid the Biden threads..hard to blame them

Jamson64 on April 30, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Biden babbles like he does for good reason. It drowns out those voices in his head.

curved space on April 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM

At the risk of sounding dumber than our VP, I actually agree with him on the travel issue.
I live in the SF Bay Area, and on a good day, with the exception of CalTrain, our subways, busses and light-rail are disgusting. The come equipped with piss, puke and punks. Oh, and lets not forget the pant-less homeless trying to sit in the empty seat next to you. So add in the possibility of catching a nasty flu bug on top of getting mugged, barfed on, or lapped danced on by a homeless person and I’m driving or staying home!

JeffVader on April 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Biden is such an idiot.

I don’t know what’s worse; having this moron just a heart-beat away from the presidency or the narcissistic teleprompter currently in charge.

Norwegian on April 30, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Although I dislike the man, I pray for BHO’s good health. I really couldn’t take it if the hair-club-for-men man was in the top seat. Talk about stupid.

Claypigeon on April 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

In a sick kind of demented way, maybe we would be safer with Biden in office. Although stupid and thoughtless, I don’t think we would be dealing with the loss of capitalism and our freedoms this fast. He wouldn’t be doubling down to make sure our country is going socialist. Joe Biden is an American. Obama, not so much.

BetseyRoss on April 30, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Paradigm Global is a fund of funds owned and controlled by Hunter Biden and James Biden. These two are Vice President Joe Biden’s son and brother respectively.

Oh yes, and it does involve substance abuse and ponzi schemes (both alleged).

I see lots of possibilities: all of them reflect very poorly on the Bidens.

* They were and remain controllers of a fund of funds which they a llege misrepresented its returns and yet which they kept operational.

* They were and remain controllers of a fund of funds which houses an alleged fraud in its offices (Ponta Negra).

* They were and remain controllers of a fund of funds which employed a marketing organisation (Onyx) which was associated with distributing alleged frauds (Ponta Negra and Stanford).

* They were and remain controllers of a fund that claimed to have 28 staff many of whom are difficult to trace and where the revenue to fund those staff did not obviously exist. This suggests that either the staff were not paid, did not exist or (more sinisterly) they were paid by stealing from the small amount of funds under management. You could only steal the client money if the asset custody safeguards were not robust. There is an audit statement on the SEC files qualified as to the robustness of these protections – however there is no evidence that the lack of robustness was exploited.

All of this was done from the 17th Floor of 650 Fifth Avenue New York. There are a few other things housed on that floor and you need to walk past Paradigm’s desk to get to them.

Whatever – it quacks and it is controlled by the Vice President’s family.

KentAllard on April 30, 2009 at 7:38 PM

For Joe Biden it should be “cacophony of stupid” with emphasis on “phony.”

viking01 on April 30, 2009 at 9:53 PM

This man, Biden, is one heart beat away from the presidency? Oh MY GOD! What a drunk idiot, with bad hair plugs. Thanks democrats.

apco on April 30, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Biden is a good counter to Obama. I’m glad he was chosen as the VP. Obama scares the crap out of people by taking over the private sector and making friends with terroroists, while Biden cracks us up with saying something stupid on a week to week basis.

jeffn21 on May 1, 2009 at 8:36 AM

The incompetence on every level of the Obama administration is incomprehensible. Biden, a pathological liar, is chastised for telling the truth for the first time in his life. This wouldn’t be so funny if it wasn’t true.

volsense on May 1, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Joe Biden is an American. Obama, not so much.

It pains me to say it, but I agree. Biden may be a half-wit, scummy politician, but under the creepy smile and hair plugs I see a somewhat genuine (if misguided) love for country.

Obama…well, you get the distinct impression that he doesn’t really “get” America. He addresses the nation almost as if he’s a somewhat disinterested zoo patron looking at us through a glass enclosure.

Maybe it was something his freeloading, philandering father impressed on him.

Maybe it was the indoctrination at Harvard.

Maybe it was mentors like Bill Ayers and Jeremiah Wright that beat into him a hatred of his country.

Maybe it’s the fact that he’s never held a job outside the political sphere. In other words, never worked an honest day in his life (unless you count his limited experience in sales…allegedly).

I don’t think he understands what makes this country great, nor does he believe in American exceptionalism. So he has no qualms about tearing it down and “remaking” it in his warped image.

TheMightyMonarch on May 1, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Video: Biden’s “symphony of stupid”

The Obama/Biden presidential team are morons. It’s just when Biden opens his pie hole, that he stands out more than el TOTUS. Yawn…is anyone stimulated yet???

byteshredder on May 1, 2009 at 12:19 PM

President Pantywaist should lend his teleprompter to Vice President Moron.
The Two Stooges!