Video: Biden’s “symphony of stupid”

posted at 12:55 pm on April 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Moe Lane at Redstate sent this to me, asking to count the flubs Joe Biden makes in this interview, but it’s difficult to keep up. Biden starts off by saying that closing the border is somehow much more difficult than closing schools all over the country. The VP then wonders whether we should close the border with Canada when they’ve had no big outbreak of the flu, and I finally stopped counting when Biden tells Americans to stay out of all confined areas.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Matt Lauer hits the nail on the head when he challenges Obama’s horse-barn analogy and compares it to a water-main break instead. You have to turn off the water temporarily to fix the pipe and clean up the damage, Lauer says, but Biden rejects that analogy. But maybe this PSA for the American flight industry captures Biden’s boneheadedness best:

BIDEN: I would tell members of my family, and I have, that I wouldn’t go anywhere in confined places now. It’s not that it’s going to Mexico, in a confined aircraft when one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft. That’s me. I would not be, if I had another way, another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway.

Sounds like a great argument against public transportation in general, as I wrote earlier today. Maybe we should get the Obama administration to fight the spread of public transportation instead of carbon dioxide, as it sounds like airplanes, trains, and subways are the real health hazard.

Update: The White House had Biden, er, clarify his remarks:

The White House quickly arranged for Biden to make this statement through a spokesperson.

“On the Today Show this morning, the vice president was asked what he would tell a family member who was considering air travel to Mexico this week. The advice he is giving family members is the same advice the administration is giving to all Americans: that they should avoid unnecessary air travel to and from Mexico. If they are sick, they should avoid airplanes and other confined public spaces, such as subways. This is the advice the vice president has given family members who are traveling by commercial airline this week. As the president said just last night, every American should take the same steps you would take to prevent any other flu: Keep your hands washed; cover your mouth when you cough; stay home from work if you’re sick and keep your children home from school if they’re sick.”

So now it is all about Mexico. Hmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This was so obviously predicted before Nov 4.

seven on April 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM

We have a subway going to and from Mexico? Is it called the ‘Coyote Express’??

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Thank god we dodged a bullet with that one lady.

Enoxo on April 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

So did Mexico get thrown under the bus?

WashJeff on April 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

We need a word to describe the parsing of parsing.

Vashta.Nerada on April 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Haha. What a joke we have as a VP.

Obama a while back- “Don’t go to Vegas!”
Biden now- “Don’t fly anywhere with sick people.”

Administration- “We’re doing all we can to stimulate the economy…” by discouraging travel?

cs89 on April 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Every US death caused by the Mexican Flu will be the result of Obama not closing the border.

faraway on April 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Oh, and yeah it’s Mexico… but don’t call it “swine” flu.

Huh? Anybody got a rulebook? I can’t keep up.

cs89 on April 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Clarification: What he meant was that you can’t go into a 7/11 in Delaware unless you have an Indian accent.

Akzed on April 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM

I am aware of at least a couple of people who just couldn’t bring themselves to vote for McCain, because his choice of Sarah Palin as a running mate was “the last straw”. She just wasn’t smart enough.

When you confront someone like that with a list of Joe Biden’s gaffes, you pretty much get [CLICK. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.]

I’m starting to think there’s some sexism at work there.

capitalist piglet on April 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

We need a word to describe the parsing of parsing.

Vashta.Nerada on April 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I think that should be called “Power Parsing”.

Goldenavatar on April 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

It seems to me that JayNo has inferred aleady that they CAN close the boarder but that we shouldn’t. Biden the boob says it’s too hard to close. I’m gonna go with the lesser of two morons and take JayNo’s inference.

oddjob1138 on April 30, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Clarification: What he meant was that we should all stay home, turn on the TV, and wait for FDR to tell us what to do.

capitalist piglet on April 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM

NOBODY IS TO GO TO THE BATHROOM UNTIL THIS CRISIS IS OVER!

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I can now clearly see that bin biden was, BY FAR, the better choice for v/p over Palin. WHEW!!

O & Joe – it’s off to annihilation we go…..

Ris4victory on April 30, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I returned home last night from a short trip to visit family in Texas, during which time I didn’t indulge in checking my favorites sites, such as HotAir. Also, I didn’t watch, read, or listen to any news; it was blessed bliss. However, being the news junky that I am, I couldn’t wait to get back to HotAir. I see that I’ve missed nothing. The Bobo/Biden circus continues, one pumpkin(Specter) fell off the hay wagon, and the Manchurian president continues to flap his gums. There was good news last night: Fox did not preempt programming for the weekly slobber-fest.

pcpower1 on April 30, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Poor poor Joe. Poor confused, addle brained, doofussy, air headed, needs to be retired, just one breath away from the Oval Office Joe.

capejasmine on April 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM

NOBODY IS TO GO TO THE BATHROOM UNTIL THIS CRISIS IS OVER!

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM

ROFL!!!!!

capejasmine on April 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM

No matter how depressed or melancholy I am, Slow Joe always brings a smile to my face,..God luv ‘im.

a capella on April 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I think Joe has watched “Outbreak” on cable too many times.

vcferlita on April 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM

The GREAT Community Organizer can’t even organize his own VP!

TN Mom on April 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I read this Politico article earlier, Obama works to avoid being exciting (didn’t know he had to work at it), and found the following comment to be rather amusing, an instant classic:

SparkyDash
Party: NA Reply #1

Date: Apr. 30, 2009 – 5:52 AM EST

——————————————————————————–

Great article John Harris and Jonathan Martin…thank you.

“No Drama Obama” … I like it. I hear the thoughtful, intelligent, low-key delivery of this President’s words very clearly. I usually feel calm and understand issues after Mr. Obama has spoken. I like that understated delivery when clearly the gravity of our economy, jobs, foreign affairs, etc. are maxed. I want to know that the person in charge is not overwhelmed and that he or she has a very strong team behind them. At the same time I love seeing and hearing the very human, honest energy and passion of Joe Biden. The now famous Yin and Yang works for me.

Barf.

misslizzi on April 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Police President Academy

the_nile on April 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Absolutely hilarious. I really like the “transparent” correction of what Biden said.

Change we can count on. :)

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM

That comment about the economy was kinda weird.
Biden cannot hold off the enviable.

Counter cyclical measures?

What does that mean?

Kini on April 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM

capitalist……I had no doubt whatsoever that it was raw sexism.

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM

This is what happens to all pols who think they can impress any of us without the use of a teleprompter.

Shy Guy on April 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Is Joe suffering from “Foot-in-Mouth” disease…again?

albill on April 30, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Fox is reporting that the Mexican citizen toddler that died of Swine Flu in Houston was at the mall. There was another report that a person that was sick with suspected swine flu was a Mexican national that was visiting Disney World.
Yeah, I think it wouldn’t be prudent and it would be RACIST to close the border to visitors. They should by all means be able to go out and infect thousands in high population places….

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 1:18 PM

This administration is making me sick.

Should I stay home?

TN Mom on April 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Does the VP have the flu or something? He looks like death in this clip. Something tells me this job maybe isn’t as much fun as he thought it was going to be.

labwriter on April 30, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Did you all notice Matt Lauer apologizing to Joe Blow when Joe started to sound stupid. Lauer covered his behind by saying: This is by no means a gotcha question. Please Please dont kick me off your Christmas card list… Man, it’s really sad to see how journalism has stooped so so low. Bet they had never been so apologistic to Bush and his adminstration in the past.

poxoma on April 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I think the hairplugs have finally eaten thru his brain.

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Biden tells Americans to stay out of all confined areas.

Dear Congress:

Go Home. NOW!

VP Biden

TN Mom on April 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM

So wait, Are these swine with the flu clean and articulate? And should I avoid being in a closed room with a pig?

Well at least we know his IQ is higher than those pigs.

Scrappy on April 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Reid can smell the swine flu on tourists as they enter the capitol.

lorien1973 on April 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Biden for President!

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on April 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

NOBODY IS TO GO TO THE BATHROOM UNTIL THIS CRISIS IS OVER!

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Please come and clean the Pepsi off my monitor.

Knucklehead on April 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Can you imagine? This man is second in line for the most powerful position on earth? How did this happen in our nation?

Herb on April 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM

They’ve gone and remade Dumb & Dumber!

jdkchem on April 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM

It seems the “World’s” expert opinions weigh a bit heavier than our own expert’s to this administration. Imagine that!

I sure hope Biden is their leadman with the media on all the future health and security risks.

Griz on April 30, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Oblama made a great choice–pick the stupidest person he could find for VP to make himself look like a genius.

tbear44 on April 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Anyone wanna bet blue states receive more Tamiflu?

faraway on April 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Barf.

misslizzi on April 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM

What the hell is that person smoking??? How is it, they can understand something, when nothing of substance, intelligence, or resolution was said?

capejasmine on April 30, 2009 at 1:28 PM

And yet Obama confirms that he consults with Biden on all major decisions. :)_

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Mayor Bloomberg had a televised press conference this morning and informed people that its ok to ride the subway. I guess he had to do this as a result of fallout from Biden’s statement about avoiding the subway.
First they scare New Yorkers with Air Force One and then frighten people off the subways, probably including tourists.
Does the White House have it out for NYC or Bloomberg? I realize there are subways elsewhere but this is two in a row for NY. Hard to believe they’re this stupid.

mph on April 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM

President Joe Biden. Imagine.

curved space on April 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM

“Alright…who let Joe out?” “Will someone please put him back in the undisclosed location?”

sdd on April 30, 2009 at 1:30 PM

And yet Obama confirms that he consults with Biden on all major decisions. :)_

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Joe, after I cough, what should I do?

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Biden will quickly surpass Bush in his Gaffes committed against the public.

tx2654 on April 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Joe Biden – living proof that you can in fact put your foot in your mouth while you have your head up your a$$.

Patrick S on April 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

The total incompetence at every level that Obama has surrounded himself with indicates he wants their presence just to reinforce he is on a level that is above mortals. Biden, Holder, Napolitano and Clinton, the biggest joke of all, removes all doubt that this is the scenario we are dealing with. Throw in Reid and Peloser to the pile and its obvious we are in real danger.

volsense on April 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Joe Biden is a constant reminder of what can happen when you shake a baby.

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I truly believe the only thing sustaining this country at
this point are the prayers of millions of Americans and the mercy of God…

There are no words… really…

Anyone wanna bet blue states receive more Tamiflu?

faraway on April 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM

and you won’t get a bet from me. I’d loose if the truth came out.

katy on April 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM

President Joe Biden. Imagine.

curved space on April 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Oh yeah, that is being discussed today. Amnesty, oh, uh, I’m sorry, ‘comprehensive immigration’. If the Mexican pigs don’t kill us, their allegiance to welfare will.

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM

and the left screamed and moaned that sarah palin would be a heartbeat away from the presidency. i hope the next terrorist attack comes straight at and in the white house taking them all down.

Ghoul aid on April 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM

lose

katy on April 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Well, I do thank Joe for the cheer-up. My walking buddies and I giggled non-stop over this one.

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM

“You didn’t make the pretty people list”

“Thanks for ruining my day”

“You have more pressing issues”

No he doesn’t. They only drag him out from time to time to prove he’s still alive. He isn’t actually allowed to do anything.

Guardian on April 30, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Believe me, Ghoul…I have so enjoyed pointing this out today on the more liberal blogs. Hey, we get to have fun, too. :)

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Biden will quickly surpass Bush in his Gaffes committed against the public.

tx2654 on April 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Bush’s gaffes, like trying to walk thru a locked door were funny, I laughed so hard I cried, but Biden just scares me to death. Not funny at all.

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Actually, Hornet….the source is apparently an American-run corporation in Mexico.

Here comes the anti-NAFTA screamers.

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Napolitano is out of her league, but I’m actually hoping that’s a learning curve for her and not permanent.

I don’t know much about her, though.

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Here comes the anti-NAFTA screamers.

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Pigs will be pigs, but what was patient zero doing with the pigs? BTW, who cares?

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 1:37 PM

I bet 60 minutes is revising future plans for interviews. Soft-ball pieces sort of makes them look idiotic today.

No, America. The truth is that we better hope Obama stays healthy. :)

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Ever time Biden opens his mouth there is a subsequent need to “clarify” what he said. How many of Obama’s “150,000 new jobs” are actually people hired to clean up after Joey?

GarandFan on April 30, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Stand up Joe!

CP on April 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Hard to believe they’re this stupid.

mph on April 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM

No, it’s not.

UltimateBob on April 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I don’t care, except I’d like for them to figure out what the current farm methods of enclosure has to do with this.

That could be useful information, Hornet.

I can’t figure out how you guys paste remarks to make it easier to discern replies. Sorry.

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Joe Biden is a constant reminder of what can happen when you shake a baby and lose your grip.

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 1:33 PM

FIFY

DarkCurrent on April 30, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Seems to me that Lauer will ask Biden a polite but pressing question. Like why not close the barn door if there are thousands of horses still in it? Why won’t the press ask Obama these questions and press for answers?
Finally, has Biden ever been interviewed where he didn’t have to have his office issue a “clarifying statement”?

Christian Conservative on April 30, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Ghoul aid on April 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM

This seems a bit beyond the pale, Ghoul. There are a lot of descent human beings occupying that building at any point in time, no matter how one feels about the POTUS or the Veep.

I’m usually good for a “F** You, [insert political liberal name here]“, but I can’t wish for their death. Otherwise, what separates me from the BDS-mongers?

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 1:43 PM

The difference between Joe Biden and Barack Obama:

* When Joe Biden asks a disabled vet to stand up, it’s Biden’s fault for making a mistake.

* When Barack Obama asks a disabled vet to stand up, it’s the vet’s fault for lacking the faith to be healed.

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 1:43 PM

We need a word to describe the parsing of parsing.

Vashta.Nerada on April 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Where Biden is concerned, I believe the term is “Kinnocking.”

Mr. D on April 30, 2009 at 1:43 PM

>>>Imagine, in eight years he will be president. Yes. After the illegals amnesty sets in and the addition of 10-15 million more Democrat voters, they may never lose again.
President Joe Biden. Imagine.
curved space on April 30,<<<<

I hate you curved space

Goodeye_Closed on April 30, 2009 at 1:43 PM

DarkCurrent on April 30, 2009 at 1:41 PM

lol

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 1:44 PM

…….just blame it on Neil Kinnock Joe.

try again later on April 30, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Actually, Biden is correct on this. But the administration is more concerned with American commerce and what foreign countries will think of us if we were to close the borders, than the health of Americans. The argument that the cat is already out of the bag and, therefore, it’s too late to close borders is absurd. Every person that enters this country carrying the virus exposes that many more. By the way, at this time of year the amount of illegals entering the country skyrockets as Mexicans seek work in the agricultural fields of the Northeast. Another point, many scientists are concerned not so much with the current strain of flu, but with the fact that come the following flu season, this strain could morph into something quite deadlier. Apparently, this “Swine Flu” has the DNA to do just that.

Halli Casser-Jayne
author, A YEAR IN MY PAJAMAS WITH PRESIDENT OBAMA, The Politics of Strange Bedfellows

The CJ Political Report on April 30, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Counter cyclical measures?

What does that mean?

Kini on April 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM

That’s easy! It means the act of taking measures to counter cyclicals or as in the case of swine flu…sicklicals.” A sicklical is a popsickle that carries the swine flu virus. Licking a sicklical will make you sick. As I write this, thousands of “Good Humor” trucks are being stopped and searched by the FBI. In addiiton, the FBI will disable the annoying music they play as they cruise your neighborhood. Veep Joe has been appointed the sicklical czar by the messiah. Well…there you have it…an explanation of counter cyclical measures.

sdd on April 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 1:43 PM

well, look outside your window and as you watch the america as you used to know wash away, and you see amoral pigs dictate to you that your values are to be disregarded, then maybe you can see why i said what i said.

Ghoul aid on April 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I believ Joe should be checked for early stages of alzheimers….seriously

Goodeye_Closed on April 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Biden would make a perfect spokesman for Brawndo™.

The thirst mutilator!

daesleeper on April 30, 2009 at 1:48 PM

sdd on April 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM

If you didn’t get that from Wikipedia, you should post it there.

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 1:48 PM

In Windows, select the text you want to quote by drag-dropping across the words on the page. Right-click and select Copy. Click your cursor into the editable comment field. Right click and paste. The text will paste in. Select all of the text that was pasted in and click that quote button up there. You’ll see the blockquote tags appear around the text.

Make a your own witty rejoiner and then click the Submit Comment button.

That’s what I do, anyways.

curved space on April 30, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I see what I’ve been doing wrong. I was letting up on the left button. Then it wouldn’t give me the copy option.

I held it down, and it worked. Thank you!

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM

GOOD GOD! I am SUCH an idiot conservative! Last week I traveled to Columbia, SC from Williamsburg, VA via USAir. I AM SUCH A MORON! Why oh why did I not use the subway instead?

oldleprechaun on April 30, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Ghoul aid on April 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I understand your anger, but even here, it seems pc still rules. I’m tired of being nice too, ghoul.

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Ghoul aid on April 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Then get out the vote, in 2010 and 2012. How about praying like hell that Americans wake up from their stupor? Or that liberal policies fail in America while conservative policies succeed? Or that uber-liberal values fade while conservative values take root and have a resurgence?

Plenty of better things to pray for, my friend.

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I believ Joe should be checked for early stages of alzheimers liberalism….seriously

Goodeye_Closed on April 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM

FIFY

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Hey guys, it’s comedy hour….Robert Gibbs is on!

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.” ~George Orwell

Biden was just being a revolutionary.

Goodeye_Closed on April 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Who need kevlar when you have Biden?

CookeyD on April 30, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I stopped counting when Biden tells all Americans to stay out of confined areas…or large groups?

Here’s an obvious question…Probably already asked…
Does that mean no more Tea Parties ?

jerrytbg on April 30, 2009 at 1:57 PM

*hehe….Gibbs is almost as much fun as Biden.

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I’m so glad the adults are in charge again.

Mike Honcho on April 30, 2009 at 1:57 PM