Tapper to Gibbs: Can you clarify Biden’s moronic comment about subways?

posted at 3:55 pm on April 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Funny but mean in that it’s a question designed simply to make Gibbs squirm. No one can “clarify” what Greasy Joe said because what he said was perfectly clear: He’s freaked out about swine flu — needlessly — and doesn’t have the good sense as a politician to keep that fact to himself so as not to worry the public. This makes twice now in four days that Team Barry has panicked New York City while providing rich fodder for gallows humor. What do they have planned for the weekend? Obama idly wondering aloud whether skyscrapers built before the 1980s might be structurally unsound?

Tom Maguire said all that needs to be said about this: “They told me that if I voted for McCain we’d have a Vice President who was a moron … and they were right!”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I doubt if these threads are prime time reading in the Whitehouse. Too bad, Obama might learn something.

duff65 on April 30, 2009 at 4:47 PM

These guys are like the antimatter version of a good government: defending the country is a distraction, the citizens need to be booted out of the economy and replaced with political operatives, the law is either a minor obstacle to their plans or an inconvenient skin rash for corrupt politicians with a (D) after their name, and they look at the wealth of free citizens as a drain on the federal treasury.

Doctor Zero on April 30, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Yet elected. I focus the fault on my fellow Americans. The corrupt opportunists were and are always out there, and they’re only doing what they were born to do, but now the majority of voters choose them as our leaders. It’s getting harder to bemoan the loss of something that seems everyday less worth saving.

JiangxiDad on April 30, 2009 at 4:47 PM

The laughter at Gibbs was priceless. I encourage the press corps to do it more often, but I’m sure Gibbs made a mental note of the culprits.

hawksruleva on April 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Mean? I don’t think so. Gibbs is dishonest. He deserves to be called out.

Dee2008 on April 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Yeah, the culprits will be kicked out as not being changey or hopey enough. By the end of this administration, the only media in White House press conferences will be People Magazine and E! Entertainment television…

mjk on April 30, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Mentally disturbed Gibbs.

Biden said exactly what he meant to say. Biden didn’t even stutter. Most of Obama speech problem comes from the two stories in his head that run at the same time. he tries to speak some truth and tries to speak spin and propoganda. he constantly has to sort and separate and that explains the stuttering and need for the Telepormpter.

seven on April 30, 2009 at 4:53 PM

BRING BACK DEEDEE MEYERS!

Gibbs is possibly the worst Press Secretary evah!

cannonball on April 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Gibbs is the most arrogant, pompous, condescending, partisan piece of Press Secretary crap I have ever seen. Can he at least get a decent makeup artist to stop the glare on his forehead?

cannonball on April 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Hey, Gibbsy….come closer.

AHHHH-CHOOOOOOO

jay12 on April 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

ROFL…

ddrintn on April 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

My bet is that they do read these threads somewhere in the WH, and they see the need for spin control constantly. I have no doubt that there is a WH staffer paid to inform the frat boys in the west wing what we pesky cons are saying about their Obamessiah. Why don’t we just understand that we have been delivered by Teh One and accept that resistance is futile? In the inimmitable words of Winnie the Pooh, “Oh, bother!”

College Prof on April 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

cannonball on April 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Give the guy a break. If you were pimping for the worst administration in history you might have a problem also.

duff65 on April 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Gibbs looks to me like he has brain damage.

He makes Slow Joe look like a genius.

notagool on April 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

mjk on April 30, 2009 at 4:53 PM

ddrintn on April 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Instead of a poll tax, let’s think about a poll quiz. Fail the quiz, you can’t vote.

We do this sort of thing on a daily basis, all over the place:

Can’t pass the BAR exam? Can’t be a lawyer.
Can’t pass the medical final? Can’t be a doctor.
Can’t pass the pilots test? Can’t be a pilot.
Can’t pass the nail painter test? Can’t paint nails in the mall.
Can’t pass the poll quiz? Can’t be a voter.

BobMbx on April 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Slo-Joe’s head is going to explode when the intervention team gathering at his residence breaks the news that they expect another 35,999 influenza related deaths annually.

“Yes Joe, it is possible you may have shared the train with some of the victims”

….more disbelief, shock and sobbing.

We should all expect another “forced down helicopter-ish” remark…this time with trains and influenza bugs.

moxie_neanderthal on April 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

*don’t see

ddrintn on April 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM

The glare on Gibbs’ forehead comes from the beads of sweat that form every time he has to lie, dissemble, and shill for the most arrogant, dishonest administration, evah.

College Prof on April 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM

cannonball on April 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

That would interfere with the dancing unicorn image emitter implanted where most folks have a brain.

BobMbx on April 30, 2009 at 5:02 PM

In the inimmitable inimitable words of Winnie the Pooh, “Oh, bother!”

Sorry, sometimes my fingers get flying on the keys, and I make mitsakes (that’s a joke for all of you libs out there).

College Prof on April 30, 2009 at 5:02 PM

College Prof on April 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM

What’s hilarious are his attempts at sarcasm. Gibbs is pure gold. “I’ll have to check with the White House…” “I’ll double-check that and get back to you…”

ddrintn on April 30, 2009 at 5:03 PM

“Oh, and BET, although I see how it’s going to be possible for MSNBC ever to fall out of favor.”

The guy from BET asked him a really good question, and he didn’t even answer it. He talked about everything, except the question that the guy asked, which was how his stimulus package was going to help the 50% unemployed black males in NYC. Guess what, it isn’t!

College Prof on April 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Flak catchers shouldn’t be this funny.

But no one will be laughing in a few years, once our economy is destroyed by inflation.

Dhuka on April 30, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Can’t they just remove his power pack or something?

bloggless on April 30, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Lies, and more lies.

gary on April 30, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Do the idiot remarks from Gibbs offset the contradictory idiot remarks from Biden?

seven on April 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Used to be Plagiarizing Joe would take other peoples’ words and tweak them to make them his own…now other people take Joe’s words and tweak them to make them theirs.

Reversals. Irony You can’t make this stuff up.

marybel on April 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM

TAPPER ’12

Good Lt on April 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM

As the MSM tried to say about Palin, when they start laughing at you (as they did with Gibbs) you’re history. While I think it might be true of Gibbs, we ought to remember that Leno and Letterman and every MSM anchor laughed at GWB every night, but he served right up to his term limits.
Speaking of Term Limits, I heard Laura Ingraham today said she was for it. Seems to me that if we all made that the one thing we get out of Tea Parties, we might be able to reform our government.

Christian Conservative on April 30, 2009 at 5:25 PM

The press Corp laughter is the best…

Dude…the know….theeeyy knowwww…

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM

See, Gibbs, there’s a difference between plausible deniability and implausible deniability. If we have Crazy Joe on tape talking like a typical irresponsible member of the Obama administration, or Obama bumping his forehead against the Saudi king’s belt buckle, it’s not plausible to suggest that these things did not happen. Even with an roomful of Obama-supporters posing as journalists.

Crusty on April 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I think we’ve seen enough here to know that Biden is a blithering fool.

And I’ll check one more “myth” of the liberal media as being “busted” … “cold busted”.

Remember the mantra last election? That McCain had seriously screwed up by picking an inexperienced Palin as his running mate because she wouldn’t be ready on day one to become President if McCain croaked?

Dudes – whatever they said – SHE IS INFINITELY more qualified than Biden is. God help us if something happens to Obama – this man is a fool.

But it’s not like the Media didn’t know that. He was caught plagerizing in college. Caught plagerizing during his Presidential campaign. He’s been prone with gaffes for the last 10 years at least. He has relatives (including a son i think) investitgated for ethics violations. And let’s not forget – a daughter that never met a cocaine line that was “big enough”.

I mean – please … what does it take for the media to do their frickin job here. My God – they crusified Cheney and he was at least competant.

HondaV65 on April 30, 2009 at 5:29 PM

We need more laughing to the face of Gibbs the Propogandist.

Grafted on April 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

What a sad little man.

Terrye on April 30, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Dang, where is GETALIFE to tell everyone that “Adults are now in charge”?

Hey, somebody had to say it.

65droptop on April 30, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Vice President Biden is a blowhard idiot, but I don’t think he’s actively anti-american. I wish I could say the same of the fellow running the show. Gibbs must be a masochist to play press toad for this administration, but he has a bright future as a fireman.

timhagen on April 30, 2009 at 5:45 PM

paging baghdad bob

bridgetown on April 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

“Baghdad” Bob Gibbs is going to be a hard nickname to shake off.

Mark30339 on April 30, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Mean? I don’t think so. Gibbs is dishonest. He deserves to be called out.

Dee2008 on April 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Yeah, he’s a dweeb…and has no class.

*sigh* I sure miss Tony Snow.

ladyingray on April 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM

He truly is Baghdad Bob Gibbs.

The video has disappeared from HotAir, or is that a PC gremlin in my system?

Jaibones on April 30, 2009 at 5:51 PM

One more example of why loin girding in public should be added to the penal code.

moxie_neanderthal on April 30, 2009 at 5:53 PM

If you dont want to catch stupidity its safer to stay away from Joe Biden.

William Amos on April 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

BREAKING: Joe Biden Warns of Worldwide Cooties Outbreak Among Schoolchildren; “Girls Are the Enemy, Do Not Let Them Touch You”

Jim Treacher on April 30, 2009 at 5:59 PM

If Dee Dee Gibbs had a gram of self respect he would not be shilling for someone who won’t even tell us his name, right Mr. Sotero?

gbear on April 30, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Are some in the press corp finally getting some stones?

Are they finally getting fed up with the BS that comes forth from Gibbs mouth.

“I’m telling you want he MENT to say”. How is it that Joe didn’t know what he ment to say? I don’t think you will be seeing “slow joe” for a couple of weeks.

PappaMac on April 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Biden meant Subway Sandwich Shops….cause of the Mexicans working in there.

“You CANNOT go to a Subway Sandwich Shop or a Quiznos unless you have a slight Mexican accent … I’m not joking”

Kasper Hauser on April 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Swing Flu PSA 1976

William Amos on April 30, 2009 at 6:40 PM

O/T – Don’t forget the online show of Special Report at 7 EDT.

…sure hope it works this week….

ladyingray on April 30, 2009 at 6:41 PM

65droptop on April 30, 2009 at 5:45 PM

I said it earlier in a different thread…

ladyingray on April 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM

As much fun as we like to have to laugh at Biden, can you really disagree with him here? Subway, Airplane, I would want my family to avoid those tight spaces as much as possible.

I wish the media would challenge Obama and Napolitano more on their idiotic refusal to seal the border because “the virus is already here”. Yeah, real sound logic there.

Daemonocracy on April 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

duff65 on April 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Hot Lip Gibbs?

Gracelynn on April 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

I think the mystery of the man in the iron mask in France back in the 1600′s is solved. It was one of Joe Biden’s ancestors who could not keep his mouth closed much to the embarrassment of France.

Texas Mike on April 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM

As moronic as Slo Joe is, he still says smarter things than Barry

phreshone on April 30, 2009 at 7:24 PM

What did Gibbs do before he was O’bummers mouthpiece? I swear I’ve seen him someplace before. I think he was running the ring toss scam at a state fair or something.

Guardian on April 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Worst press secretary spin ever!
Plus, he ends it with the infamous non-apology apology.

carbon_footprint on April 30, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Paradigm Global is a fund of funds owned and controlled by Hunter Biden and James Biden. These two are Vice President Joe Biden’s son and brother respectively.

Oh yes, and it does involve substance abuse and ponzi schemes (both alleged).

I see lots of possibilities: all of them reflect very poorly on the Bidens.

* They were and remain controllers of a fund of funds which they a llege misrepresented its returns and yet which they kept operational.

* They were and remain controllers of a fund of funds which houses an alleged fraud in its offices (Ponta Negra).

* They were and remain controllers of a fund of funds which employed a marketing organisation (Onyx) which was associated with distributing alleged frauds (Ponta Negra and Stanford).

* They were and remain controllers of a fund that claimed to have 28 staff many of whom are difficult to trace and where the revenue to fund those staff did not obviously exist. This suggests that either the staff were not paid, did not exist or (more sinisterly) they were paid by stealing from the small amount of funds under management. You could only steal the client money if the asset custody safeguards were not robust. There is an audit statement on the SEC files qualified as to the robustness of these protections – however there is no evidence that the lack of robustness was exploited.

All of this was done from the 17th Floor of 650 Fifth Avenue New York. There are a few other things housed on that floor and you need to walk past Paradigm’s desk to get to them.

Whatever – it quacks and it is controlled by the Vice President’s family.

KentAllard on April 30, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Tap tap is da man!

WisCon on April 30, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Daemonocracy on April 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Ya know, the USMC has quarantined a bunch of marines at Twentynine Palms because they were exposed to one case of swine flu. This stuff isn’t a joke. Or are all you guys just a lot tougher than the USMC?

funky chicken on April 30, 2009 at 7:55 PM

da, well…ah…da… he meant to say

Wade on April 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Don’t miss the real significance here. WH reporters were laughing at Gibbs. They were ridiculing him, and by extension, Joe Biden. That’s the one thing that the Obamoron fears the most, that he will become the object of ridicule.

mr1216 on April 30, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Who needs comedy central when you can watch Robert Gibbs?

TN Mom on April 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM

S

Crusty on April 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Gibbs: “Are you going to believe me, or your lying eyes?”

uncivilized on April 30, 2009 at 8:44 PM

McCain just made the funniest comment on Hannity about Biden’s brain-fart:

Asked if he was planning to take a plane or subqay ride anytime soon, McCain said that he was taking a flight back to Phoenix. Then he added that they don’t have subway service from Washington to Arizona … but with enough stimulus money one might get built!

Too funny.

progressoverpeace on April 30, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Poor Joe. Now he will be in hiding for another month or so.

His screw-ups make me think this is just one big sitcom.

Obama’s screw-ups make me think this is one big nightmare.

cntrlfrk on April 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Every sentence by this fat jerkoff Baghdad Bob starts “Agungk”. He talks like he’s got a peanut butter sandwich in his mouth.

Jaibones on April 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Soooooo … I confess. I really miss Tony Snow. What a class act. This guy meh.

Brian Mallard on April 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM

funky chicken on April 30, 2009 at 7:55 PM

This “outbreak” is all hype. Obama just wanted to have a “winnable” crisis. The truth is, the Swine Flu is a notch above the common cold. Regular Flu kills tens of thousands every year and there have only seen a handful of deaths from this thing. The Omamatons just wanted to be able to say “He healed the world” or something.

Guardian on April 30, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Doesn’t influenza usually morph into pnemonia (sp??) and that is the ultimate killer?

Ris4victory on April 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Is Gibbs on anti-depressents? Good lord. He thinks slower than he talks!

SouthernGent on April 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Gibbs:

What he said was, “Wow, I coulda had a V-8.”

What he meant to say was, “I like turtles.”

Biden:

Obama is a four-letter word.

hillbillyjim on May 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM

The execs at Disney apparently do not realize Tapper works for their company. I’m amazed he’s kept his job this long given the fact he practices honest-to-God journalism

Doubly amazed that he hasn’t woken up with a horse’s head in his bed, courtesy of Barry’s Chicago hoodlums.

Fed45 on May 1, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Biden would be akin to having Frank Burns around during an attack on M*A*S*H.

Now, THAT’S funny right there! I don’t care what anybody says.

Fed45 on May 1, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Guardian on April 30, 2009 at 9:34 PM

So the USMC is just a bunch of dumb patsies and cowards?

And all those other countries spending tons of money monitoring passengers from Mexico and the US are somehow part of this huge conspiracy?

And Art Bell told me that aliens are being kept at Area 51.

That makes as much sense as your post.

funky chicken on May 1, 2009 at 1:29 AM

timhagen on April 30, 2009 at 5:45 PM

I agree

I also agree with Biden on this:

BIDEN: I would tell members of my family, and I have, that I wouldn’t go anywhere in confined places now. It’s not that it’s going to Mexico, in a confined aircraft when one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft. That’s me. I would not be, if I had another way, another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway

Biden blew it. He was supposed to tell people it is totally safe so his bankrollers don’t take losses when people cocoon, but quietly keep his own family out of public venues and keep his own supply of tamiflu handy

I disagree this flu is not a danger. It is the first swine avian genetic mix.

It is not certain to me this is a natural occurence or intentional.

The flu is tracking back to February, which is bad not good, because flu breeds in hosts, and if the flu lasts the summer in the right chain of host(s) it can be back in the fall in a better mutation for the double whammy fall outbreak. Swine avian is serious

This is a setup for a perfect killer storm. If the last 20 in a chain of victims had mild swine-avian flu, number 21 may be the killer. The probabilities of being the killer flu prime victim are much higher than in a normal human flu, or swine flu cycle because somethng happened to make a genetic mix that was dangerously different.

Some guess the swine epidemic in the 50′s gave partial immunity to the new variant. That would explain the young age of the ones who died. It can create an illusion of safety
We may luck out but Biden wasn’t stupid to not press his individual luck. It all depends on how much one desires to gamble on sudden painful death to prove a point

Meanwhile word has gone out to backtrack on reporting the worst case scenarios, while many governments have already given up on containment, yet the scientific scramble behind the scenes belies the propaganda

entagor on May 1, 2009 at 2:21 AM

I think this the second time that Biden has told the truth and he seems to be the only person in the administration who is offering any rational advice. Everyone else is suggesting what to do after you get the flu, not how to prevent catching the flu.

Johan Klaus on May 1, 2009 at 2:47 AM

nuclear retard

sabbott on May 1, 2009 at 8:34 AM

We are amused that Gibbs shamelessly stands there and recounts what Biden “meant to say”. We think they will be discredited and opinions of the Obama administration will change because of it. Not true.

Republicans wrongly believe credibility comes from telling the truth and being honest. “Organizers” have studied human nature and know you can easily be dishonest and make the “masses” believe black is white by simply boldly and shamelessly lying and deceiving openly with such brazen confidence that people will believe you simply because of your boldness to lie.

When you have the MSM propagandists as your allies, it makes it all the easier.

artman1746 on May 1, 2009 at 8:45 AM

So the USMC is just a bunch of dumb patsies and cowards?

funky chicken on May 1, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Naw, that’s just some commander covering his butt.

Otis B on May 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM

White House spokespeople don’t opine about what “they think” the Veep meant to say. Gibbs wasn’t asked for his opinion, he was asked if the White House agreed with Biden’s fear-mongering statements. There is a huge difference.

Gibbs is the gift that keeps on giving. He is destined to follow in the footsteps of others who have held that job like Dee Dee Meyers and Scott McClellan. It is only a matter of time before he gets fired and goes out and puts his name to a tell-all book bashing the filthy liar’s administration.

highhopes on May 1, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Biden is right to be worried about swine flu. With all the porkers in Congress, they would be the first to catch it.

Gibbs as a Press Secretary has achieved what was previously impossible–make people miss Scott Duh McClellan.

Steve Z on May 1, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I wonder how much Gibbs paid Tapper to ask that question in order to get a chance to offer “clairty”.

CynicalOptimist on May 1, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Gibbs must hate turning up for work each day to find out what new way he will have to make himself look a fool in order to cover for the gaffes of the administration.

Jay Mac on May 1, 2009 at 11:09 AM

mr1216 on April 30, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Frankly it’s astounding. There are still actual people in those suits and not Axelrod-programmed androids.

evergreen on May 1, 2009 at 12:10 PM

The official explanation makes a joke out of Obama’s high words about transparency.

When you can’t get honest about something this obvious? Don’t try to tell me you can about stuff that is really important.

AnninCA on May 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM