Obama’s prime-time audience drops by 29%

posted at 6:47 pm on April 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The novelty has officially worn off, at least among those watching Barack Obama’s prime-time press conferences not employed by the national media.  Obama lost 21 million viewers from his first prime-time presser in February, according to James Hibberd, and it looks like Fox made the right call in sticking with its scheduled broadcast:

Wednesday night’s primetime press conference to mark Barack Obama’s 100th day in office was viewed by 28.8 million people, according to Nielsen.

That’s a 29% drop from the president’s last press conference, on March 24.

So much for the cachet of the 100 Days construct.  In terms of actual news, once again Obama provided nothing that hadn’t been already hashed out through his press office.  It put Obama in his best position, engaging in the media, which usually results in a small polling bump, but with only 29 million watching, he’s likely talking to the true believers anyway.

Interestingly, despite Fox eschewing the presser on its broadcast network (or perhaps because of it), they wound up with the highest number of viewers on the cable nets.  Since they usually smoke the competition in the evening time slots anyway, it’s probably not much of a win for them, but their viewers stayed loyal.

The anemic numbers got divvied up between 10 networks, which makes 28.8 million look even less lucrative.  I’d expect this to be the last prime-time presser carried by the broadcast networks.  The only people apparently interested are the Obama groupies and some of the national press corps — but I repeat myself.

Comments

Did Lie to Me get a ratings bump???

mad saint jack on April 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Nah, I’d say one or two more ratings losers will be needed before they get the message.

myrenovations on April 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

people are finally getting sick of hearing him speak.

how long before the real backlash to his policies begins?

tick-tock…

homesickamerican on April 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

The guy is a bore and a jerk.

JellyToast on April 30, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Obamaoverexposure

If the GOP attacks now keeping Obama in the spotlight constantly the American people will get sick of his name.

Attack now and often and force the dems to keep talking about Obama !

William Amos on April 30, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I ask again, how many jobs does The Precedent cost the economy by displacing popular shows on the networks?

progressoverpeace on April 30, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Happy. This makes me happy.

anniekc on April 30, 2009 at 6:53 PM

BUYER’S REMORSE. CONMAN SLOWLY CRASHING.

marklmail on April 30, 2009 at 6:54 PM

In corporate America, they establish times for commercials to run, what times of day, how many days a month, how many weeks or months to run the ad.

In corporate America, they change the message or tone of the ads they run. They make money doing this.

Obama has run the same commercial since last summer…almost daily…just about every day since January.

That “As I have always said…” stuff is starting to grate on the public.

In corporate America, they actually have a bona fide product to sell.

Obama does not.

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM

I’m Enchanted ; )

Firebird on April 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM

And Fox made a tidy sum for the ad revenue from “Lie to Me.” The MSM gave it away for free to the One. Heh.

Wethal on April 30, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Maybe the Obama-Borg were recharging.

darwin on April 30, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Maybe BET can have an exclusive next time.

JiangxiDad on April 30, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Fox made money,the rest lost money. =)

canditaylor68 on April 30, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I was watching reruns of Gilligans Island last night. The President spoke? Did he say anything interesting?

Tommy_G on April 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

I bet Sarah’s appearance on “American Chopper” tonight will get record ratings.

Now, that is something worth watching.

Norwegian on April 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Did Lie to Me get a ratings bump???

mad saint jack on April 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I don’t know, but watching it isn’t that much different than watching Obama, and not due to the “lie” pun. White House pressers and that show are both pretty much unimaginative, straight-up liberal propaganda–as anyone who saw last night’s terrorism-themed episode should realize by now.

Blacklake on April 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Direct TV stuck us with a feed from Barryland. I watched Man Vs. Food on Bravo and was astounded to realize that the guy who owns Voo Doo donuts in Oregon would be a better president than the one we’ve got.

anniekc on April 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Do the college kids actually watch him? I don’t think the Comedy Channel carries the press conference do they?

Jamson64 on April 30, 2009 at 7:00 PM

What?!!?

People are already getting tired of pretending we live in Cuba?

Dorvillian on April 30, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Maybe…….nah, ain’t gonna happen. The Precedent won’t be happy until every TV in American is tuned in to watch.

Reminder to self:
Buy extra batteries for the remote control.

Knucklehead on April 30, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Do you people realize that he has already created 10,000,000 jobs?

Firebird on April 30, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Obama needs a bailout!

ThePrez on April 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Do you people realize that he has already created 10,000,000 jobs?

Firebird on April 30, 2009 at 7:03 PM

I could have sworn it was 300,0000,0000000000l00,,0000,…\e

blatantblue on April 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM

The only problem was that all the networks other than Fox didn’t call their broadcasts “LIE TO ME” and that their “talent” was an empty suit mouthing platitudes to groupies from the media. I HOPE they don’t CHANGE their minds about broadcasting his preening in front of adoring idiots for a long time. Imagine how sick everyone, except the idolaters, will be of seeing and hearing all the uhs, umms and self-congratulatory empty rhetoric will become.

TruthToBeTold on April 30, 2009 at 7:05 PM

OVER X POSED

sandlin71 on April 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Crap. I’m sick to death of him and I don’t even have a TV!
I sure hope this is a trend; I would love to see him and his swooning, sick circus of sycophants crash into the abyss of over-hyped bugaboos.

carbon_footprint on April 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Ya think the turkeys that carried the water for Obama last night will want a bail-out for the lost commercial time???

Maybe Obama can do some inserts for CNN, NBC & CBS to make it up to them….

izoneguy on April 30, 2009 at 7:09 PM

American Idol was on.

portlandon on April 30, 2009 at 7:10 PM

This reminds me of the song “Stairway to Heaven”.
Before they started playing it on the radio I used to love the song and next thing I know they are playing it over and over and over again. To this day I never listen to it thanks to so much over exposure.
I didn’t like zero to begin with so this is even worse.

iceman1960 on April 30, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I guess “Waterworld” was on HBO again.

TexasJew on April 30, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I like how Obama wins because his ratings on the three networks that carried him added up to more than the network that didn’t, even though the network that didn’t beat each of the other three individually. AUTHORITARIANISM RULES!

Jim Treacher on April 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM

I turned on the radio mid-press conference. Someone asked him about interrogation methods. I heard so many “uhm’s” I thought I was listening to Buddhist monks. Turned it off after 30 secs.

Erich66 on April 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM

One good thing may come out of this over exposure. People may start to look at the substance instead of the style.

iceman1960 on April 30, 2009 at 7:15 PM

“I’d expect this to be the last prime-time presser carried by the broadcast networks.”

Why do you say that……?

……… Are you telling me that people are getting tired of the same old song and dance?

Let me see if I can do this with my eyes closed…….

(closes eyes)

The room is filled with lap dog “journalists” with extreme vasoconstriction with star gazed eyes and the anticipation of a prom date……

The NOTUS comes out and reads a prepared speech off of TOTUS……

He then selects preselected questions from preselected “journalists” and gives a preselected answer……

The answers go rambling on, even though they are known before hand, with a hundred or so “ummmsss”, “uuuhhhhhs”, and “aaahhhss” thrown in where each answer is roughly about ten minutes, limiting the press conference to between 12 and 15 questions……

Press Conference followed by the Main Stream Media telling us that NOTUS is the second coming of Jesus Christ, and they basically would gladly perform oral sex on him, especially Chris Matthews…..

Repeat often especially to fire the flames of a manufactured crisis to control more of society…..

(opens eyes)

Did I get it right……….?

Seven Percent Solution on April 30, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Jim Treacher on April 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM

And the other three networks lost money while Fox made money.
Capitalism in motion.

carbon_footprint on April 30, 2009 at 7:16 PM

The Narcissist in Chief is not going to like this at all.

He’s going to insult us, I just know it.

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 7:18 PM

I love that picture. So fitting in so many ways.

Dingbat63 on April 30, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Bailouts will start going to networks that run any of his events live. Justified by Congress as to compensate those networks for lost ad revenue.

albill on April 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM

No one, AND I MEAN NO ONE, Is going to get in the way of me watching Lost.
President be damned.

Trov on April 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Do you people realize that he has already created 10,000,000 jobs?

Firebird on April 30, 2009 at 7:03 PM

A week.. you forgot to say “created 10,000,000 jobs a week”…..

A-and, he’s “Given Light”.

AA-and he’s brought together millions and millions upon millions of progressives, communists and socialist dictators all with his Aura and patented Fist Bump.

44Magnum on April 30, 2009 at 7:22 PM

The bloom is off the rose. Now let it wither away.

sherry on April 30, 2009 at 7:23 PM

A week.. you forgot to say “created 10,000,000 jobs a week”…..

A-and, he’s “Given Light”.

44Magnum on April 30, 2009 at 7:22 PM

And in November of 2010, Obama will be raising the dead to vote.

He has a gift!

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 7:24 PM

people are finally getting sick of hearing him speak watching him read.
how long before the real backlash to his policies begins?

tick-tock…

homesickamerican on April 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

FIFY

misslizzi on April 30, 2009 at 7:25 PM

It looks like the mainstream media didn’t have time to doctor their biased polls before they released them.

rplat on April 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

The President spoke? Did he say anything interesting?

Tommy_G on April 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

AZCoyote on April 30, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I’ll bet this idiot has a couple more before he gets the message. He is not the sharpest tool in the shed and despite proof, there is no way he’ll believe the numbers.

He is as interesting in a press conference as paint drying. Although, no one has any money anymore to paint….might explain why anyone would watch, longing for the good old days.

ORconservative on April 30, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I was sick of him before he took the oath of office.

Snake oil salesman.

Terrye on April 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Watching Barry gas on and on (and on) about things that enchant him is tough to endure … apparently even for his simple-minded fan base.

cruadin on April 30, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Nah, the MSM will continue to cover them just like Hollywood continues to push out anti-American flops. They don’t produce these sorts of things to make money. They produce them to impress their peers.

Marking Time on April 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM

If we wanted to see someone who hates America has much as Hussein does,..we can search utube for code pink….or maybe just tune in MSN….BTW, who I blocked last fall….: o )

christene on April 30, 2009 at 8:03 PM

What shareholders in ABC/NBC/CBS could support their investments giving up $10 mill in ad revenue in this economy? It’s a matter of time until people start looking SERIOUSLY at their decision to flush ad revenue.

marklmail on April 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM

people are finally getting sick of hearing him speak read.

how long before the real backlash to his policies begins?

tick-tock…

homesickamerican on April 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

FIFY

BobMbx on April 30, 2009 at 8:12 PM

That’s a 29% drop from the president’s last press conference, on March 24.

29% drop in ONE month! By the time his next presser rolls around, his only viewers will be the suits at NBC,ABC,CNN, MSNBC!

TN Mom on April 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Weird. Our local Fox showed its normally programming on my guide, but we were treated to The One’s speech. I wonder if our local affiliate over-rode the programming?

Mo_mac on April 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Did Lie to Me get a ratings bump???

mad saint jack on April 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

No, the article said ratings were down for Obama’s presser. Wait, you mean the other Lie to Me, the one that admits that is fiction.

Ars Moriendi on April 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I don’t know why anyone with any intellect would want to sit through another warmed over campaign speech from that fool.
Still campaigning, not governing in any sense. The job he is failing to do does not require campaign speeches. He has already broken most of his campaign promises anyway.

old trooper2 on April 30, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Overheard at the WH:

“This is an outrage! I want a recount! Call ACORN!”

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM

I spent the time wandering around YouTube, watching videos of old favorite tunes from the 70s and 80s…

Rusty Bill on April 30, 2009 at 8:36 PM

“This is an outrage! I want a recount! Call ACORN!”

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM

ACORN to Ogabe:

“so broken legz or broken teeth boss?”

sven10077 on April 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM

We’ve got 3+ more years of this as he is campaigning for re-election and hoping to keep his supporters entralled till then. I am really frightened for our country. I’m not sure enough people will rally against what the president and Nancy Pelosi have in store for us. Our President is an actor playing a role, doing the biding of some person(s) behind the scene writing the script or he wouldn’t be so dependant on the teleprompter. How sad that we have come to this.

kaye on April 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Darn, I should have bet on that. I knew I couldn’t be the only one with Obama fatigue.

scalleywag on April 30, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Now the networks can ask for a bailout for all the lost revenue they could have had instead of putting repeat speeches on prime time television.

scalleywag on April 30, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I guess some people now realize that Obama can,t turn water into wine or walk on water.

thmcbb on April 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM

I’ve heard that there were a few cases where the local affiliate decided to carry Obama’s press conference.

Here’s a thread from (I think) the FOX website

eaglescout1998 on April 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Tsk tsk don’t you know that Obama saved or created 28.8 MILLION viewers?

PackerBronco on April 30, 2009 at 9:21 PM

“I, uh, uh, I, er, ah, uh…eh….” Brilliant, isn’t he?

mr1216 on April 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM

And in November of 2010, Obama will be raising the dead to vote.

He has a gift!

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 7:24 PM

+100!

citrus on April 30, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Bravo Packer. I keep questioning why Obama doesn’t say he has saved or created 140 million jobs. I mean if you are a pathological liar like Barack, then just do it big time. The press isn’t gonna call him on it. I mean the Slimes had to give that curve ball because otherwise Obama wasn’t going to call on the paper. Obama had his list and he counted it twice to make sure all the reporters’ questions were nice when BH Obama went to town.

eaglewingz08 on April 30, 2009 at 9:43 PM

The one in March was so scripted that it qualified as propaganda. Few need to have the democrat talking points lectured to them again by a liberal media working with a liberal President. I skipped it.

Dollayo on April 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I had a liberal friend say to me “I hate to say this, but I’m getting awfully tired of hearing him.”

Well who wouldn’t, what with petulant didacticism and the pathological lies.

Dhuka on April 30, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Here in California, Fox 11 showed the press conference.

thecountofincognito on April 30, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Tommy_G on April 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

It couldn’t have been as interesting as Mary Ann

deewhybee on May 1, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Watch it, with ratings like this, he will need a new manufactured crisis.

GunRunner on May 1, 2009 at 2:08 AM

The important thing is, you see his face while channel surfing

Who was listening to the details when they voted him in any way?

His press conferences becomes like a 2 second speech, so he never gives a bad speech. Afterwards, the talking shills can spend hours reporting to you the intentions of what he said and his reputation will swell like a balloon

entagor on May 1, 2009 at 2:59 AM

“Obama lost 21 million viewers from his first prime-time presser in February..”

And the networks lost $21 million in advertising revenue. Hmmmm…1 viewer = $1 ?

percysunshine on May 1, 2009 at 7:28 AM

The bloom is off the rose and I can do my happy dance!

DuctTapeMyBrain on May 1, 2009 at 8:09 AM

This reminds me of the song “Stairway to Heaven”.
I didn’t like zero to begin with so this is even worse.

iceman1960 on April 30, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I feel the same way about “Can’t Fight This Feeling” by REO Speedwagon.

*shudder*

ladyingray on May 1, 2009 at 9:30 AM

When was he on TV?

right2bright on May 1, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Obama is near finishing his first 24 hours officially as a used car salesman in training.

All the Chrysler plants are closed and suppliers stopped shipping parts. The USED car saleman has not told them they will get paid. The closing of Chrysler is an absolute loss of thousands of jobs. They may or may not come out of bankruptcy and re open. Read the Detroit paper. The truth is Chrysler is dead for now. The workers will have to petition the courts for pay and insurance coverage.

seven on May 1, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Obama lost 21 million viewers from his first prime-time presser in February..”

And the networks lost $21 million in advertising revenue. Hmmmm…1 viewer = $1 ?

percysunshine on May 1, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Susan Boyles is well over 80 million views. I guess her awesome voice is sweeter than obama’s stuttering and rap.

seven on May 1, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Folks are finally noticing he cant talk without a teleprompter telling him what to say maybe…

tx2654 on May 1, 2009 at 12:10 PM