New NRSC ad attacks Specter: Did you know he was endorsed by … George W. Bush?

posted at 5:00 pm on April 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

When life hands you lemons in the form of a rock-bottom 22 percent party-ID rating, make lemonade by smearing the party label all over the guy who just defected. I love the tactic, but it’s borderline surreal to watch the GOP hammer America’s most famous ex-RINO for being too darned conservative. And if you think this is clever, feast your eyes on the clips they’ve put up at their “Meet Arlen” attack page. I hope for Specter’s sake that The One’s serious about campaigning for him, because by the time the NRSC’s done, the Democratic base will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the polls to vote for him.

You know what would be really awesome? Having Cheney endorse him a week before election day. Comedy gold.

Comments

Roger Stone is currently working on a joint Bush-Cheney endorsement, perhaps with G. Gordon Liddy and Karl Rove thrown in. Guarantee it.

amerpundit on April 30, 2009 at 5:03 PM

There is hope for the Republican Party yet…

Realist on April 30, 2009 at 5:03 PM

There’s nothing sinister or dishonorable about someone being wrong about a person they thought they could trust. Regardless of what other rap you may want to pin on him, Bush was an honorable, honest man . . . who was obviously wrong about Specter.

rplat on April 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

amerpundit on April 30, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Don’t forget a Palin endorsement.

WashJeff on April 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I woke up this morning and Machiavelli had risen from the grave and seized control of the GOP. Niccolo, you magnificent bastard!

Flyover Country on April 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Oooh. Arlen on Anita Hill, patron saint of feminazis, should bring a great response. I recall it was Arlen’s quizzing on why she followed Thomas from one job to another that helped expose here as a crazy stalker.

And Arlen’s votes for Roberts and Alito should annoy them, too.

Wethal on April 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM

It’s stuff of politics and this was aimed at democrats who might be loath to trust their new acquisition and mount a primary challenger against him. Politics is messy but if we can beat Specter, I am sure Pres. Bush will be fine with that.

promachus on April 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM

rplat on April 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

The ad isn’t directed at Bush. In fact, it shows he was loyal to his party, and its candidates, while Arlen is not.

But the ads help exacerbate the still simmering BDS in the Dem party.

Wethal on April 30, 2009 at 5:09 PM

One more thing:

Not really. For a Republican, he wasn’t conservative enough. For a Democrat running in blue Pennsylvania, he’s a Bush Republican and further to the right than they’d like.

amerpundit on April 30, 2009 at 5:09 PM

No idea if I like this strategy or not, but it’s definately funny.

BadgerHawk on April 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM

“Over the first four months of 2009, the Republican Party has continued to lose adherents.”

That is what happens………..

………… when RINO’s run the party.

Seven Percent Solution on April 30, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I think a Dem will challenge and beat him in their primary.

CP on April 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM

More dopey polls? Meh.

Nice strategy though.

Now we need Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, and Sarah Palin heaping lots and lots of praise on Specter.

therightwinger on April 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM

That’s just terrific Republicans – go after President Bush and not Obama’s policies and how he is taking this Country into the toilet. He just gave Chrysler to the UAW and he’s going to do the same with GM. Who gives a s..t about Specter? And, you attack Bush? No wonder you guys are in the fix you’re in. President Bush wasn’t always agreed with, but he was the one that kept us safe and free. What a bunch of a-holes running the NRSC.

suzyk on April 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Just wish they would have waited for the general election to do this. Let Specter get the Dem nod, then discourage his base.

coyoterex on April 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Sarcasm much?

Count to 10 on April 30, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Um, the ad is aimed at Democrat voters, encouraging them to make a primary challenge on their side as well.

Techie on April 30, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Take advantage of the opportunity to tell wester PA that Obama wants to bankrupt the coal industry. Arlen has changed sides so he can help.

The Rock on April 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM

specter will not be challenged in the dem primary. isn’t that the deal he made with biden & bambi? rendell can surely guarantee that, right?

so its specter v. toomey in november. isn’t that right?

kelley in virginia on April 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM

hey, western PA knew what bambi was going to do because mccain & palin spent a helluva lot of time there telling them what bambi was going to do. PA still went for bambi.

i don’t blame all pennsylvanians just like i pray you don’t blame all virginians. minnesota is a different story altogether.

kelley in virginia on April 30, 2009 at 5:32 PM

And have Sarah Palin declare him the father of her love child!

Cicero43 on April 30, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Yes, in a “wow, this circus was awesome. Best $11 dollars ever spent. Let’s not get back to the real life” kinda way Is the the future that the GOP fancies?

radiofreevillage on April 30, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Here’s good news (no sarcasm):

Kentucky Sen. Jim Bunning, the most endangered Republican up re-election in 2010, appears headed for retirement after giving his leading GOP rival the blessing to prepare to run for his seat next year.

Bunning’s retirement would be a huge victory for national Republicans who have grown increasingly nervous that the 77-year-old two-term senator would lose a critical race as the party tries to cling to its diminished minority in the Senate.

On Thursday afternoon, Kentucky GOP Secretary of State Trey Grayson announced that he would form an exploratory committee to run for Bunning’s seat – a move that Kentucky GOP operatives say is a precursor to Bunning’s retirement. Grayson’s entry will come as a relief to Kentucky Republicans and Senate GOP leaders, who may now have reason to believe their party could hold on to this seat.

“He told Trey to do this,” one senior congressional official said of Bunning. “Why else would he tell his main rival to prepare for a run?”

Added one senior Senate GOP aide: “For the first time, we now know who the Republican nominee will be next November and that’s Trey Grayson. He’s by far the best positioned Republican to be competitive and hopefully win in the fall. It’s not even close.”

amerpundit on April 30, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Wethal on April 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM

That is the thought that brought laughter to my heart as soon as he flipped sides.

myrenovations on April 30, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Its an insult to Bush to lump him in with this jackass.

lavell12 on April 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Just one of the numerous reasons I didn’t like Bush and one of several why I didn’t like Santorum.

burt on April 30, 2009 at 5:41 PM

George W Bush was wrong about many people including Valdmir Putin so come on this is what politicians do they make strange bed fellows. Am I supposed to believe that everyone thinks that when George W Bush said he looked into Putin’s eyes and knew he could trust him that wasn’t because he meant it but something for public consumption so why would Specter be any different? Really I am not that gullible to buy into political speak so who is?

Dr Evil on April 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM

I think its a good tactic. And I dont think it is the GOP establishment but an independant Conservative group.

This is an anti Spector ad. I dont see any trashing of Bush in it. BDS was an industry and might as well get it working for OUR side for a change. Its not like those who had it will ever be cured of their insanity.

I just hope it drives the democrats away from the polls in droves. Personally I’d love for the RNC to run an ad saying Obama is too chicken to push for prosectuion of Bush for warcrimes, That he doesnt have the courage to pass his massive health care reform or that he lacks the awareness to close Gitmo after he promised to.

Its worth the entertainment value just to see the lefty heads explode.

William Amos on April 30, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I just don’t know what to say upon watching this, only because every day under Obama is twilight-zone enough

Defector01 on April 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM

So what? Did Reagan smack Arlen’s hands when he was hanging on to his coattails because he sensed he was a mere opportunist?

Specter was under the radar until he stood out with the the two Maine RINOs in voting for the stimulus package.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 30, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Wow. How stupid of the NRSC! How does dragging Bush’s name through the mud help the Republicans?

terryannonline on April 30, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I think Specter is toast. If Obama and the Dems are still riding high a year from now, he’ll lose the primary to a “real” Democrat. If Obama and the Dems have tanked, he’ll lose in the general to the Republican.

I mean, who does he represent now, besides himself?

And don’t say Obama will help him, because Bambi will knife Specter in the back at his first opportunity and there is anyone who will rise to Arlen’s defense if/when that happens. Obama’s endorsement is just for show right now and means nothing if Bambi can get a better deal in the 2010 election.

PackerBronco on April 30, 2009 at 6:46 PM

How ’bout an endorsement from…..

“Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all Congressional candidates in 2004, the National Rifle Association assigned Senator Specter a grade of A (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).”

I can see Democrats falling all over themselves to vote for him.

heh,heh,heh

franksalterego on April 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Thanx Allah, best laff I`ve had all day!

NY Conservative on April 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM

If the NRSC is going 2 act like this don’t expect a Republican president for over a decade….

it ain’t gonna happen.

No President Romney or President Palin.

terryannonline on April 30, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Sorry but I can’t applaud this tactic. Pres. Bush made mistakes but he is an honorable man and certainly doesn’t deserve to be the subject of ridicule, especially from his own party. If a candidate of either party used an ad like this, they would certainly not get my vote.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2009 at 7:24 PM

This amount of Bush apologizing in this thread makes me sick. The man did more for big government and the hispanic takeover of America than any President before him (though Obama is giving him a run for his money). Yet what do the hot air “conservatives” do? They defend him and call him “honorable” as if the man was actually on our side.

And you people wonder why the “conservative movement” is in the tank.

Wake up.

2Brave2Bscared on April 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2009 at 7:24 PM

I’m really disappointed. An ad like this is understandable from Democrats because they are the opposition party. But it extremely saddening 2 see this coming from Republicans. After this I’ve come to believe the GOP don’t deserve 2 be in power.

terryannonline on April 30, 2009 at 7:33 PM

And you people wonder why the “conservative movement” is in the tank.

Wake up.

2Brave2Bscared on April 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Fine you don’t think Bush is a “conservative,” it is a totally understandable position. But seriously can you explain to me dragging Bush’s name even more through the mud helps the GOP?

terryannonline on April 30, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Why are you upset? Because the GOP is criticizing Bush and trying to seperate themselves from him and other “moderates” like Specter?

This is what I don’t understand. Conservatives are angry because the GOP has moved to the left and has become more and more for big government economic policy. Hence the tea parties. But then when the GOP tries to move to the right by trying to distance themselves from the most hardcore big governemnt GOP President yet (Bush), conservatives throw a fit.

Make up your minds people. Do you want the GOP to remain the party of Bush-style big government, or do you want it to become an engine of conservatism again?

2Brave2Bscared on April 30, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Can you please tell where in that video where it describes both Specter and Bush as moderates and that is why you shouldn’t support them? That is not the point of the ad.

terryannonline on April 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM

2Brave2Bscared on April 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Sorry to disappoint you. While W was in office and the Republicans held Congress, how much griping did you do. Not counting the immigration deal, because everyone raised hell about that. And to say our current president is “giving him a run for his money” could only be classified as a vast understatement. But if you think it’s a winning strategy, by all means contribute and encourage them to do more.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Well, full disclosure: I voted for Bush in 2004. However, at least midway through this second term, I realized how wrong I was and what can of damage he was doing to the country. So for at least the last couple of years of his term, I did quite a bit of “griping.”

Which is more than I can say for most of the mainstream conservative talking heads, who waited until AFTER he was out of office to criticize him, if they even critized him at all.

Yes, I agree that I should have used stronger language. I even thought about rewriting that part before I posted it. I agree that Obama is horrible, and when all is said and done he’ll make Bush look like Ron Paul (economically speaking, of course).

But that’s beside the point. The point is that Bush has done nothing good for conservatism, and as long as conservatives fail to realize this, they’re going to remain in a rut. I shouldn’t be attacked for saying these things, for calling Bush out for his betrayal, I should be getting amens.

2Brave2Bscared on April 30, 2009 at 7:54 PM

2Brave2Bscared on April 30, 2009 at 7:54 PM

I will agree that he did nothing for conservatism but after 9/11 the promotion of security was much more on my mind. In retrospect I should have written to my representatives more. I have been a regular pen pal since the introduction of TARP. I won’t change my mind about the disrespectful treatment of him, especially by his own party. Sen. McCain would have been much like him probably and as horrible as that sounds it still would have been better then where we sit now.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2009 at 8:04 PM

test

terryannonline on April 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM

terryannonline on April 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Whatcha testing?

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2009 at 8:16 PM

the promotion of security was much more on my mind.

Same here. Which is another area in which Bush was horribly inadequate. The man refused to seal the borders off from illegal immigration. Indeed, in a speech in Miami before he was even elected for the first time, he celebrated the hispanic, multicultural takeover of the United States:

We are now one of the largest Spanish-speaking nations in the world. We’re a major source of Latin music, journalism and culture.

Just go to Miami, or San Antonio, Los Angeles, Chicago or West New York, New Jersey … and close your eyes and listen. You could just as easily be in Santo Domingo or Santiago, or San Miguel de Allende.

For years our nation has debated this change — some have praised it and others have resented it. By nominating me, my party has made a choice to welcome the new America.

Furthermore, after 9/11, a day on which we were attacked by Muslims waging Islamic Jihad against our country, Bush for 8 years talked about how peaceful Islam is, all while cozying up to the pro-sharia, anti “Big Satan” Saudi government. Meanwhile, Muslims continued to stream into our country, en mass, as Bush did nothing to stop islam from further infiltrating America by way of our insane (legal) immigration policies.

Bush didn’t keep us safe. He further endangered us. He rooted for our own cultural destruction at the hands of hispanics. And yet this is a man you call “honorable.”

If that is honor, then honor is no longer an attribute to be attained.

2Brave2Bscared on April 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Whatcha testing?

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Something was wrong with my HA account but it is fixed now :)

terryannonline on April 30, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I’m sorry but what exactly did want Bush to say “Islam is evil, we’re going to get involved in a Holy War.” No thanks but that’s not government is supposed to do.

terryannonline on April 30, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I’m sorry but what exactly did want Bush to say “Islam is evil.”

That would have been a good start, yes.

No thanks but that’s not government is supposed to do.

The U.S. government’s job is to protect the citizens from enemies both foreign and domestic.

2Brave2Bscared on April 30, 2009 at 8:26 PM

2Brave2Bscared on April 30, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Yes government should protect its citizens but it has NO business declaring a religious war. Terrorists have a hard time separating politics and religion, our nation does not. And this is coming from a churchgoer, alright.

terryannonline on April 30, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Senate Democrats are mad because Harry Reid promised Specter would retain seniority. oops!

Pass the popcorn!

TN Mom on April 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM

2Brave2Bscared on April 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

We are just going to have to agree to disagree. W is from Texas and Hispanics are a huge part of his daily life. It has always driven me crazy that many appear to equate secure borders with a dislike of Hispanic people. Another instance of people talking past each other and no on “getting” it.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM

TN Mom on April 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Sen. Reid is the gift that keeps on giving. I would think his party could look at him and rethink this seniority deal.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM

During Amnesty Push two years ago, I came up with idea to “ask
for refund” at Ensign’s office and the RNC. I sent this conversation to Michelle Malkin, which in turn posted it here at Hot Air….It is now the protocol for A…es…….Thank you everybody

Call Specter’s office is good place to start….Sure you wish you had your money back from some other Critters.

nondhimmie on April 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM

In one of William Bennett’s books about virtue, he talks about loyalty as a virtue. Specter’s only loyalty is to himself, which is not what William Bennett was writing about. Specter provides a disgusting example of disloyalty. Santorum and President Bush should be particularly disgusted.

Phil Byler on April 30, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Illustrates an interesting point: why would a Pennsylvanian Democratic voter vote for someone who only joined their party because he was losing in his, and who is already saying he is not going to be loyal to the Democrats or to their agenda?

DarkKnight3565 on April 30, 2009 at 10:09 PM

How does dragging Bush’s name through the mud help the Republicans?
terryannonline on April 30, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Exactly… more comedy gold from the GOP!

benny shakar on May 1, 2009 at 12:23 AM

benny shakar on May 1, 2009 at 12:23 AM

You, my dear benny, are comedy gold. Keep it up.

Rightwingguy on May 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM

President Bush was so unpopular among Democrats that any association with our former president could spell disaster for anyone trying to run as a Democrat. I am glad that Specter will no longer be associated with the Republican Party. However, I would be happier if he were defeated by a Democrat primary challenger. This would ensure that Specter does not get re-elected.

I think that this ad will help achieve that goal.

eaglescout1998 on May 1, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Bush was an honorable, honest man . . . who was obviously wrong about Specter.

rplat on April 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Bush had to take out Specter’s conservative opposition to keep Specter on committee for the amnesty strategy. Bush was not honorably about amnesty, and tried to hoodwink the public. Bush called the Minutemen vigalantes which is not honorable. Border agents who did too good a job were pressured to stop. Bush intentionally did not enforce laws about border control and he looked the other way as employers replaced legal workers with illegals.

Bush was good on terror but he was dishonorable about upholding the laws of the land, and preserving and protecting our borders, and he broke an oath sworn on the Bible

Instead of working through treaty ratified by the Senate, Bush worked out deals under the SPP, security and prosperity partnership which is basically an unsigned ever changing treaty disgusised as a partnership. In terms of the American public this ‘partnership’ did not exist to the point there is a Q and A section at the website to disclaim the myths about the partnership, something you hardly need in legitimate and properly legislated agreements

IMHO the DEMs will use the old fool Specter now for his vote but they will not trust him as a Democrat. Whether they want to keep the old rat through a primary has got to be making them sick to their stomachs because Specter is beasically untrustworthy unless you keep bribing him

entagor on May 1, 2009 at 3:23 AM

I think if Bush had his way, Campeon and Ramos would still be in prison.

eaglescout1998 on May 1, 2009 at 3:58 AM

Exactly… more comedy gold from the GOP!

benny shakar on May 1, 2009 at 12:23 AM

This is a first. I’ve got benny shakar agreeing with me.

terryannonline on May 1, 2009 at 8:17 AM

The Jihadists have already declared the religious war. In fact, they declared it over 1300 years ago.

You think I want Holy War. I want no such thing. I want the U.S. government to work towards separating us from the Muslims who DO want Holy War. Completely different.

2Brave2Bscared on May 1, 2009 at 11:34 AM

How could he be “good on terror” if he was terrible on security and immigration?

2Brave2Bscared on May 1, 2009 at 11:38 AM