New House GOP ad: “Do You Feel Safer?”

posted at 5:43 pm on April 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Politico’s astounded that a shot of the Pentagon on fire on 9/11 would appear — for a fraction of a second — in a video about counterterrorism. Follow the link for the boilerplate denunciation from Steny Hoyer’s spokesman about “fear tactics,” which must have been written in between press releases about how the economy’s going to crash if we don’t pass every spending program and bailout that Obama demands.

If you’re wondering why Boehner and crew are hitting him on foreign policy instead of on the economy, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they think the country’s attention is about to shift that way? There’s good reason to believe that it might. Or maybe they’re grooving on that Rasmussen poll from last week showing that 58 percent believe releasing the torture memos endangered national security. If that’s the case, fair enough, but this issue ain’t going to win back Congress if the economy starts to recover. Especially when, as of three weeks ago, 72 percent of the public — and 70 percent of independents — say they don’t think they’re less safe under Obama than under Bush.

Comments

Do I feel safer? Being an American Jew, I can’t rely on learning the Koran as any kind of coping mechanism.

stonemeister on April 30, 2009 at 5:45 PM

say they don’t think they’re less safe under Obama than under Bush.

Ahh the last words known per a poll… then BOOM! Scare-Force-One goes on a fly by in NYC.

Yep… we sure are “safe”.

upinak on April 30, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Creepy music.

Knucklehead on April 30, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Feel safer? With squishes as the loyal opposition? Hell no!

Maquis on April 30, 2009 at 5:46 PM

say they don’t think they’re less safe under Obama than under Bush.

My head is spinning. Does that mean they think they’re safer?

LibTired on April 30, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Good, lets remind people of reality. It’ll hit home one day.

the_nile on April 30, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I havent felt safe since January 20th,2009.

canditaylor68 on April 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM

The truth hurts, Barry…

D2Boston on April 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Perception of safety is irrelevant. On 9-10-2001 everyone felt safe. Doesn’t mean that we are.
A better poll question might be: What has Obama done to make you safer? Most would be hard pressed to actually come with a concrete answer to that one.

redshirt on April 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Didn’t feel safer before wathcing that ad.

Pretty much such we are all going to die in hot, hot flames after wathcing it.

Soccer Moms will soil themselves what with the message and the music.

myrenovations on April 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM

They are at least doing something, instead of spit-cleaning the Dear Leader’s boots.

promachus on April 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM

GOP needs a concerted effort to turn the tide. I like putting not the Congress, but Obama as the face of the issues. Knock off his halo.

Spirit of 1776 on April 30, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I like the video. More should be produced covering every expiration date, the economy, national security, and on and on and on.

txag92 on April 30, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I feel safer. Obama’s anti-gun murmurs spurred me to buy more firearms and ammunition. I’ve never been this safe.

MadisonConservative on April 30, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I hear the plan for the terrorists in Gitmo is just to release them into society and hope for the best……..

…… NOTUS is going to get a lot of people killed that are alive and well right now, who probably voted for the fool.

Seven Percent Solution on April 30, 2009 at 5:53 PM

That percentage will fall.

ladyingray on April 30, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I think the repubs would be better served if they spent all their available time crafting a economic blueprint for the future that competes with the trillions being printed by Obama.

Saying no is not enough. They need a working contract to renew the republic’s faith in the Repubs mantra of small, effective, fiscally prudent government. All other issues are secondary or are planted diversions.

patrick neid on April 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM

This is a good video you will like it. This incorporates Lincoln Obama’s inspiration on so many levels.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I feel far less safe, but at this point I don’t know which scares me more – Jihadists or Benito Peron Obama.

As for the ad – I hate the music.

Buy Danish on April 30, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Obama suffers defeat in US Senate !

The lightbringer 0, Sanity 1

William Amos on April 30, 2009 at 6:01 PM

I think this video is very good. However, at You Tube, it is being heavily trolled by Obama fans. It has less than 2 stars and vicious comments.

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM

MadisonConservative on April 30, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Exactly!

catlady on April 30, 2009 at 6:06 PM

First 100 Days Report Card

It’s a question that all potus candidates exploited.

Definitely a fair and a good question to ask now.

maverick muse on April 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM

I say hit ‘em on all fronts, but the GOP needs to define the terms on which these battles are fought. “Progressive” is now the new and improved “liberal.” Describe exactly what being “progressive” means policy and budget-wise, since inevitably the incumbants are going to be using the label in the midterms.

“What is a progressive?” The GOP needs to define it, and define it now.

Repurblican on April 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Wow I see nothing new in this ad that hasn’t been pushed relentlessly for the past 8 years.

It did work in 2006, it didn’t work in 2008.

harry on April 30, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Anything longer than 30 seconds is meant for the base in order to solicit donations. This isn’t meant for general consumption.

rw on April 30, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Repurblican on April 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM

This is what I wrote at C4P a couple of hours ago:

Progressivism is a completely different philosophy to liberalism. Reason we are in such a sorry state is because a lot of conservatives underestimated the progressive renaissance. Progressives, liberal, it’s all the same we thought. No, they are not the same.

I remember a lecture by Evan Sayet and he was asked this question and he said it was just a matter of labeling. That’s the level of ignorance of our side. When the lefty blogs began to push the progressive label because the liberal label was tainted, we should have woken up.

If you think about all the ankle-biters in Alaska, they are progressives. Liberals are not like that. I am not saying liberals are automatically good but you can at least debate with them. Progressives are trolls. They used to call themselves “muckrakers” and their only purpose in life is to throw enough muck at any person who is good and successful. Hatred of good for being good.

I saw the other day at NRO they were having a lecture about progressivism, so our side is finally waking up. Don’t just laugh at progressives, they are the nastiest scum on earth.

promachus on April 30, 2009 at 6:12 PM

By closing the use of Yucca Mountain and imposing massive Cap and Trade legislation that will increase the cost of energy for all, Pres. Obama is doing more damage to our energy infrastructure than any terrorist could ever dream of. And, he’s making us more reliant on foreign oil.

Not only do I feel unsafe, but I feel cold.

JeffB. on April 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM

MadisonConservative on April 30, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I forgot. There is one industry not laying people off.

seven on April 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM

death spiral

sesquipedalian on April 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Specter voted against the Dems in his first two votes. Hopefully he’ll do to Dems what he’s been doing to us.

promachus on April 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Just wait until the Taliban and Iran get their hands on the nukes.

The cataclysm they caused in the economy is going to feel like a pee shooter of a problem.

notagool on April 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM

There you go with that positive attitude Allah. ;)

We’re screwed!

Griz on April 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM

sadly, this will just look like fear tactics to the left. it will take another unfortuante act for some in this country to wise up.

Ghoul aid on April 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

MadisonConservative on April 30, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I’m glad you feel safer. But what about the rest of us?

I feel far less safe and worry about our country. Scare Force One is turning hard to the left and going into steep decline.

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

It’s reported today from the Human Events website that 17 Chinese Uighurs from Gitmo are going to be released, possibly in the VA or DC area, sometime next week. These Uighurs were captured in an Al Quaeda training camp, so it’s not like they were just hanging around the local bazaar in P’stan.

And the 0bama White House, against the objections of DHS and the FBI, are going to release these men.

No, I don’t feel safer.

koz on April 30, 2009 at 6:21 PM

This is the leader of the RNC ????

William Amos on April 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Say what??? Hats??

Ah jeez, what is he thinking?

Which way do you wear your hat?

Knucklehead on April 30, 2009 at 6:26 PM

They don’t have to hit him on all 126 different crap policies he has initiated. They only have to hit where it hurts and where it works. This is good. I hope they get this out in the major media. It also is an investment. In case we do get hit,, they are on record with waving the red flag now!

JellyToast on April 30, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Politico’s astounded that a shot of the Pentagon on fire on 9/11 would appear

Well then, get used to it, Politico.

I’m hoping for both, rather than either/or.

Obama OWNS these policies, and he’s responsible for their consequences. GOP ads need to bring that home to voters.

petefrt on April 30, 2009 at 6:34 PM

My head is spinning. Does that mean they think they’re safer?

LibTired on April 30, 2009 at 5:46 PM

NO that’s the point. That is why they word it that way.

Joe Caps on April 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM

MadisonConservative on April 30, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I bought more too, but I’m not sure I feel safer. :(

petefrt on April 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM

William Amos on April 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

This is the leader of the RNC ????

Steele: Hats backward is ‘how we roll’

“You wear your hat one way. You like to wear it, you know, kind of cocked to the left, you know, because that’s cool out West,” Steele said. “In the Midwest, you guys like to wear it a little bit to the right. In the South, you guys like to wear the brim straight ahead. Now, the Northeast, I wear my hat backwards, you know, because that’s how we roll in the Northeast.”

I think Michael loses his head sometimes.

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Hispanic members of Congress “This ad is RACIST !

William Amos on April 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Does this officially mean that it is effective? In lib talk, and effective offenses against them = “racist”

Joe Caps on April 30, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I’m glad you feel safer. But what about the rest of us?

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

At this point, all you can do is secure your own person and your family. This is a nation of individuals, not a collective. When individuals start seizing responsibility for themselves, the country will begin to heal.

MadisonConservative on April 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Al Qaeda has not hit us for almost 8 years. No one is afraid anymore. So this ad isn’t going to resonate. I doubt they are going to attack now because it would make their buddy in the White House look bad.

Speedwagon82 on April 30, 2009 at 6:48 PM

William Amos on April 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Hispanic members of Congress “This ad is RACIST!

Hispanic Democrats are furious and demanding an apology over an image wedged in a new GOP web video on terrorism that shows members of the Hispanic Caucus sitting at a table with President Obama.

“On behalf of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus (CHC), we write to demand an apology for the inclusion of the picture of the CHC meeting with President Obama in the video on your official website entitled “Do You Feel Safer?,’” the CHC wrote in a letter being sent to Republican Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio), whose office created the video.

I had to go back and look at the video again. Didn’t see any Hispanics. So, read the article to find out the problem. It’s a picture of Obama with a somewhat bewildered look on his face. If I hadn’t been told, I would have no idea that the people sitting nearby were Hispanic.

The racism charge is absolutely ridiculous.

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I am rather of the sentiment of getting guns and ammo as a consequence of current realities, but I can’t ignore the fact that doing so puts me squarely in the Statists’ cross-hairs.

Getting guns is a response to feeling less safe, and a wise one, but it’s anything but a panacea.

Maquis on April 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Didn’t see any Hispanics.
Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Me neither, just the goof-ball-in-chief.

Maquis on April 30, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Terrible ad. They need a new ad agency. Better yet, just hire people off YouTube.

huckleberryfriend on April 30, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I’m guessing this was one of those “More safe, about as safe, or less safe” questions, meaning something like a 30% split all around is likely.

Count to 10 on April 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Didn’t see any Hispanics.

Chavez

William Amos on April 30, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Allahpundit why do you call them “torture memos”? They are memos regarding interrogation not torture.

free on April 30, 2009 at 8:27 PM

The sad thing is that Obama is making it not only possible, but INEVITABLE that another 9/11 is going to happen in this couuntry.

wildcat84 on April 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Ah, now I get it.
Ap’s is Alan Colmes late of Hannity And Colmes…
I knew I smelled something burning…

frizzbee on April 30, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Yes, I feel safer. But that’s because I live in Norway.

Seixon on May 1, 2009 at 6:43 AM

Maquis

Nobody here suggested it’s a panacea, but when you see your world turning to crap around you, you are moved to do something you can consider meaningful. That is one of those things.
I have already reloaded all my 40 S&W and my 380 brass. I still have some 38 and 357 brass from years back although I sold that gun years ago (wish I hadn’t). Components are still in short supply but will increase as military demand decreases. I’m certain that will happen because the military is the only thing being cut by Ogabe. And since the military is one of the few things the federal government is actually supposed to provide, it makes that all the more insane.

SKYFOX on May 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM

I haven’t felt safe since the election. Not from terrorism, (excuse me: man-made disasters) and not from my federal or state government. To them I am a chicken that is ready to be plucked.

hachiban on May 1, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Of course 9 out of 10 Dems believe the country is safer under Obama than Bush;they’ll be the first to accept Sharia.You have nothing to fear if you are willing to bow down to your enemies.As the old saying goes”you can’t rape the willing”.

DDT on May 1, 2009 at 1:22 PM