100 Days Presser: The Nanny State

posted at 9:27 am on April 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The nanny state has apparently arrived, and Barack Obama took his place as National Mom last night in his 100-days prime-time press conference.  After the Obama administration spent the last two days stoking fears over the swine-flu outbreak, one reporter asked what exactly Obama intended to do to keep more cases from developing in the US.  Obama then turned into Mr. Mom while ducking the issue of closing borders:

Q: Thank you, Mr. President. With the flu outbreak spreading and worsening, can you talk about whether you think it’s time to close the border with Mexico and whether — under what conditions you might consider quarantining, when that might be appropriate?

OBAMA: Well, first of all, as I said, this is a cause for deep concern, but not panic. And I think that we have to make sure that we recognize that how we respond intelligently, systematically, based on science and what public health officials have to say, will determine in large part what happens.

I’ve consulted with our public health officials extensively on a day-to-day basis, in some cases an hour-to-hour basis. At this point they have not recommended a border closing. From their perspective it would be akin to closing the barn door after the horses are out, because we already have cases here in the United States.

Let’s stop here for a moment.  Having a few carriers cross the border does not mean that the entire country is infected.  I don’t know whether closing the southern border would prevent any infections from occurring, but the more people who cross while carrying the virus, the more people in the US who will get exposed to it.  It’s not a tremendously difficult computation to make.

I traveled to Ireland in the summer of 2001 when Britain and Northern Ireland were managing a raging outbreak of hoof-and-mouth disease, which nearly destroyed their agricultural industries.  The US was very, very particular about screening for that when I returned home, insisting that I account for all my travels (whether I’d visited farms, etc) and clean all of my footwear.  And that was for a veterinary illness.

So what exactly is the government recommendation?

The key now I think is to make sure that we’re maintaining great vigilance, that everybody responds appropriately when cases do come up, and individual families start taking very sensible precautions that can make a huge difference.

So wash your hands when you shake hands. Cover your mouth when you cough. I know it sounds trivial, but it makes a huge difference. If you are sick, stay home. If your child is sick, keep them out of school.

To — if you are feeling certain flu symptoms, don’t get on an airplane, don’t get on a — any system of public transportation where you’re confined and you could potentially spread the virus.

Well, it’s a darned good thing we cleared out a prime-time slot for President Obama last night … so he could tell us to wash our hands and cover our mouths when we cough.  What’s next?  Telling us to wear clean underwear when we leave the house?  Always carry mad money in case your date turns out to be a cad?

Obama makes a good point about public transportation, but unfortunately, not the one he wanted.  If you rely on public transportation with no other options when an epidemic sweeps into town, public transportation is practically designed to amplify it.  Where else will hundreds of strangers have to squeeze up against each other for minutes or hours every day?  Even airplanes leave you some personal space.  You don’t have to hold onto a rail on an airplane, either, one handled by God-knows-how-many sick people before you boarded the bus or train.

Actually, that may have been the most responsive answer Obama gave.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wash your hands and put some air in your tires for chrissakes!

carbon_footprint on April 30, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Right now, we’ve clearly decided to ride the epidemic out.

AnninCA on April 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM

If you have a private jet — take it!

BigD on April 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Fort Worth ISD is closed until Monday and now others will follow. No public school sporting or academic events. But gawd-damned our hands are clean.

Limerick on April 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM

How badly would Bush be mocked if he told people to wash their hands?

Yes, THAT badly.

artist on April 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM

hoof-in-mouth disease

Is that your final answer on what ails the Precedent?

RepubChica on April 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM

This is the “duct tape” talk of this administration… and, if Bush had said it…

Shivas Irons on April 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM

*gargles*

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I hate the ethical conundrums Obama is always putting me in;

While I’d love to see his stupidity about not closing the borders backfire stupendously right in his smug ugly face, I know that there would be people hurt by this, so is it wrong to ask that “Mr.” Napolitano be the one to personally greet all the incoming border crossers?

anniekc on April 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Great. Now what do I wash to get the stench of this Presidency out?

LibTired on April 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Always carry mad money in case your date turns out to be a cad?

Cad? HAHAHAHAHA! Blast from the past; my grandma gave my sisters little knitted mad-money coin purses for their 16th birthdays.

I for one thank Gaia every day for President Ogifta because until now I had refused to wash because I was under the assumption that baths caused the “flux” and that opening a window would let in evil spirits to make me sick.

Bishop on April 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Now on Fox News…DHS has told Border Agents that they can not wear sterile masks while inspecting people and cars. Biden this morning told everyone not to take public transportation. What an Administration.

kingsjester on April 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM

How badly would Bush be mocked if he told people to wash their hands?

Yes, THAT badly.

artist on April 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I seem to remember Obama mocking Bush in one of his books for using a little Purell.

sherry on April 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM

when will obama tell me how to wipe my butt? this week or next week?

gatorboy on April 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM

But I thought the Left loved public transportation and hated us for using personal transportation, i.e. cars.
Now what are we serfs supposed to use to get to the lord’s fields in order to till his soil?

rbj on April 30, 2009 at 9:40 AM

DHS is an idiot dept. endangering the lives of their employees now as well as the general populace.

Q – If you were in mexico and your kids got sick with this flu, where would you seek medical care? Me thinks you’d move heaven and earth to get them across the border

gatorboy on April 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM

The problem with refusing to close the border is that if this does lead to a massive outbreak, Obama will have some serious splainin’ to do. Especially if he decides later on to close it after the fact.

I get why he’s not closing it. Amnesty, the census, securing tens of millions of additional votes for the Dems. It’s a wise political move. But he’s gambling with the lives of millions of Americans and it could come back and bite him in the ass bigtime.

Doughboy on April 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Coulda been worse. Imagine Bill Clinton’s advice: “Take it from me — be sure to wear two condoms at a Mexican whorehouse.”

Cuffy Meigs on April 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM

when will obama tell me how to wipe my butt? this week or next week?

gatorboy on April 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Patience. He has to learn it himself, first.

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM

gatorboy on April 30, 2009 at 9:42 AM

We will never see the Talking Chimp’s grades from Occidental, Columbia and Harvard; that’s accepting the assertion he matriculated. But, take it from his handlers, “He’s brilliant!”

mr1216 on April 30, 2009 at 9:42 AM

What a joke. Every single time you touch an ATM or store card reader you run the risk of exposure. Pump gas? That nozzle just might have piggy bugs on it. Menu? Those too.
Might as well turn ourselves into CDC for disposal.

Limerick on April 30, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Patience. He has to learn it himself, first.

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM

he has a new groom of the stool reporting for duty now, so it might be a while… Arlen Spector

gatorboy on April 30, 2009 at 9:42 AM

mr1216 on April 30, 2009 at 9:42 AM

a bit early to be out fishing this morning, don’t you think?

gatorboy on April 30, 2009 at 9:43 AM

When Green Beret advisers first went to Vietnam to enlist the aid of the Montagnards, they wrongfully assumed that the people had no idea of cleanliness and the Berets actually held classes to “teach” the women how to wash their babies. Of course the mothers were shocked and disgusted that the Americans were using their clean cooking bowls as small tubs for the kids and couldn’t understand why the Americans were so “unclean”.

I feel a little like them right now, rolling my eyes at the thought of this guy telling me how to wash my hands as if I’m some sort of savage crouching in the brush.

Bishop on April 30, 2009 at 9:44 AM

“…and wash behind your ears.”

Akzed on April 30, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Patience. He has to learn it himself, first.

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM

gatorboy on April 30, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Oh don’t kid yourself, Benedict Arlen is already well versed in the art “tossing der leaders salad”.

Tim Zank on April 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM

OT: Hijacker of Achille Lauro ship freed after 23 years

aengus on April 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I get why he’s not closing it.

Ogifta won’t close the border because if they did, it would be proven that it can be done which would kill the naysayers claim that the border is just too big and porous for any walls or other security measures to have an effect.

Best way to “prove” something can’t be done is to never try, and the ‘rats will NEVER try.

Bishop on April 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM

link

aengus on April 30, 2009 at 9:51 AM

“…and wash behind your ears.”

Akzed on April 30, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Don’t talk with your mouth full!
And don’t fidget while I talk to you.
And stop tracking mud across my nice clean floors!

(A shiny no-prize to anyone who can identify the reference.)

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM

(A shiny no-prize to anyone who can identify the reference.)
Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Apocalypse Now?

Bishop on April 30, 2009 at 9:53 AM

I get why he’s not closing it.

That would be a non-PC quarantine, like quarantining AIDS patients. The quarantine of hoof-in-mouth animals Ed mentioned is PC, so that’s why we participated in it.

jgapinoy on April 30, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Barry to Arlen?

Limerick on April 30, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Let’s build that network of high-speed rail systems, for virus toio scared to fly, so viruses can spread swiftly across the country and across the border to Texas.

WashJeff on April 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM

OT: Hijacker of Achille Lauro ship freed after 23 years

aengus on April 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM

LOL remember how hard to pronounce that was for Tom Brokaw?

carbon_footprint on April 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM

OT: Hijacker of Achille Lauro ship freed after 23 years

aengus on April 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I.e., murderer of Leon Klinghoffer is set free.

Were I president, I would declare open season on this scumbag.

rbj on April 30, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Limerick on April 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM

I was so embarrassed for Fort Worth for that. I can understand the concern, but instead of being in school infecting each other – they will be outside playing together infecting each other. That worked.

kybowexar on April 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM

kybowexar on April 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Yeah, I heard on WBAP this morning that Ft. Worth ISD officials advise students that this is not a vacation and that they should remain indoors studying. I lol’d.
Sure, they will stay inside and study until school reopens.

carbon_footprint on April 30, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Always carry mad money in case your date turns out to be a cad?

Never did that. Always paid them up front….

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Who/what is that in the photo on the page?

amkun on April 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Don’t talk with your mouth full!
And don’t fidget while I talk to you.
And stop tracking mud across my nice clean floors!

(A shiny no-prize to anyone who can identify the reference.)

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Adrienne Barbeau to Rodney Dangerfield??

BigD on April 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM

kybowexar on April 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Dumber yet was when some governors cancelled schools state-side for two days after katrina & due to the ‘gas shortage’ That was dumb.

gatorboy on April 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Hey, there may be a silver lining in this swine flu thing, after all. Per Bloomberg, Mexico is shutting down its federal government.

I suggest Chairman Obamao order DC shutdown and the WH closed, immediately and indefinitely, and retreat to Camp David, or Hawaii would be even better.

james23 on April 30, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Sure, they will stay inside and study until school reopens.

carbon_footprint on April 30, 2009 at 9:59 AM

It is a sad day when Fort Worth wants to outdo Dallas in the “What the heck are you thinking!” department.

What will be really hilarious is when they demand that students make the week up! I feel for those teachers.

kybowexar on April 30, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Don’t talk with your mouth full!
And don’t fidget while I talk to you.
And stop tracking mud across my nice clean floors!

(A shiny no-prize to anyone who can identify the reference.)

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM

And wait ’til your father gets home!

thomasaur on April 30, 2009 at 10:06 AM

There’s so much I don’t understand. So far, the cases in Mexico aren’t near the border, for the most part. But if and when they start getting close, seems like closing it would be a good idea.

It takes time to make a vaccine and to make more Tamiflu. Don’t we want to slow this virus down until we are more ready for it? Seems like all the official talk* is not taking that into account.

*Except for Biden. Oh, I don’t wanna think about the possibility he’s making more sense than most…

MamaAJ on April 30, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Ya got me. June Cleaver? John Madden?

Akzed on April 30, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Criminy – there are no other ex-hippies here? Here’s a hint. The lines are spoken by the character Lieutenant Bradshaw.

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM

From their perspective it would be akin to closing the barn door after the horses are out, because we already have cases here in the United States…so what’s another 2 or 3 dozen cases of swine flu gonna do to impact all the diligent local work currently in place to identify and contain the disease? You guys demand so much, it’s all under O’s control…

FIFY, President dumba**

RepubChica on April 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Akzed on April 30, 2009 at 9:45 AM and Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM.

Thanks for your health reminders that my parents indoctrinated (not inoculated) into me years ago.

However, I want to add to Daggets suggestion a statement that my daddy injected into my memory many years ago.

Don’t talk with your mouth full! AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH FULL!!!

MSGTAS on April 30, 2009 at 10:10 AM

If you have a private jet — take it!

BigD on April 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM

And if you have TWO private jets, send one off for a photo op!

Amendment X on April 30, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Methinks the union will have something to say about this.

The Monster on April 30, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM

and Ken Burns – if he reads Hot Air – is either not available for comment, a lurker, or just not willing to admit his ex-hippie roots…

kybowexar on April 30, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM

That’s why I finished it with the “wait ’til your father gets home”

FSN “The Further Adventures of Nick Danger”

thomasaur on April 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Do ya think eating boogers is also taboo?

marybel on April 30, 2009 at 10:15 AM

marybel on April 30, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Only if they are not your own.

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM

That’s why I finished it with the “wait ’til your father gets home”

FSN “The Further Adventures of Nick Danger”

thomasaur on April 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM

That is when you know it is truly something you don’t know anything about – when the answer to the question does not even come close to clearing that up… (laugh)

kybowexar on April 30, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Do ya think eating boogers is also taboo?

marybel on April 30, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Only if someone sees you.

thomasaur on April 30, 2009 at 10:16 AM

So the street vendors in mexico are suffering financially.
They can be asking for a bauilout.

seven on April 30, 2009 at 10:16 AM

kybowexar on April 30, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Okay, here it is for all you young whippersnappers (get off my lawn!) –

Firesign Theatre

“The Further Adventures of Nick Danger”

NICK: Heh, heh. Well, what brings your flat feet sniffing around here now, Copper?

LT. BRADSHAW: Just a friendly word of advice, Danger.

NICK: Yeah, what?

LT. BRADSHAW: Don’t go stickin’ your big nose into police business.

NICK: Ssssure, Lieutenant. Is that all?

LT. BRADSHAW: No! Don’t talk with your mouth full!

NICK: Okay, Bradshaw…

LT. BRADSHAW: And don’t fidget while I talk to you.

NICK: Sure, Lieutenant.

LT. BRADSHAW: (walking away) And stop tracking mud across my nice clean kitchen floor…

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 10:17 AM

FSN=FST
daggnabbit

thomasaur on April 30, 2009 at 10:17 AM

can you talk about whether you think it’s time to close the border with Mexico

NOW!? We have a dangerous uncontrolled border? Who Knew?

Geez, I’m sure glad there’s no more horses in the that barn.
Hmmm, why didn’t we close that barn door before the horses got out?
That’s akin to saying hey we’ve got an imminent pandemic, so lets make it worse. Yeah I can see how that’s a great idea.
I’m sure if millions die we’ll close borders.
The numbers of infected persons that spread a virus has got to have an influence on how fast it spreads and how dangerous the effects are.

Speakup on April 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM

marybel on April 30, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Only if they are not your own.

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I’m using that exchange to help clean my mind from this exchange from the “State thinks Texas is another country” thread”

I think Hillary’s ass is a whole other country.

cntrlfrk on April 30, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Which has not been invaded since Chelsea was conceived.

carbon_footprint on April 30, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Thanks for the mindbleach…

kybowexar on April 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM

FSN “The Further Adventures of Nick Danger”

thomasaur on April 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM

[Hands shiny no-prize to thom]

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM

“Go ahead, squeaze the wheeze.”

Akzed on April 30, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Before everyone freaks out about the Mexican ManBirdPig Flu (which I would like to suggest should be called the Janet Napolitano Flu), I have not seen Dr. Sanjay Gupta reporting on any piles of burning dead bodies in Mexico City. He is walking around without a mask, people are concerned but not exactly dropping like flies there. Drudge had a post saying that rather than underrepoting deaths, the actual Mexican death toll may be less than what has been reported.

That does not mean Napolitano should get any credit. She is an idiot. But she is lucky this flu is not so deadly as reported.

Mr. Joe on April 30, 2009 at 10:19 AM

[Hands shiny no-prize to thom]

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM

thomasaur on April 30, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Maybe we should just put Tamiflu next to all the desert water stations. Of course, that would mean reprinting the Mexican Govt comic books to include the new info.

But close the border?? What for? This is the first time any health problems have come across. The mumps outbreak in the midwest? Just an isolated incident.

TugboatPhil on April 30, 2009 at 10:20 AM

“Throw a towel over it! Do some pushups!”

Akzed on April 30, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Assuming you only have one horse….

I bet the media would be all over His Incompetence if they found out that some of these deaths ould have been prevented by closing down the borders.

cntrlfrk on April 30, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I think Fox network made a little money last night…

ladyingray on April 30, 2009 at 10:20 AM

This looks more like Obama’s cure for the Social Security problem. Eliminate a bunch of people who will be eligile to collect. Print tons of money causing sky high inflation. The money owned to those who can collect will be a pitance in 10 years.

MTZinIL on April 30, 2009 at 10:22 AM

When they ARE serious, the first thing they will do is close the borders.

Otherwise, it’s nothing but another crisis you don’t want to waste.

tarpon on April 30, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM

And I apologize for mixing my FST bits.

thomasaur on April 30, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Don’t worry all…the adults are in charge now.

ladyingray on April 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

ladyingray on April 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Here?

Oh…yeah, the White House. :-)

Nevermind.

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM

“I think Fox network made a little money last night…” I withstood about 10 minutes of ABC’s crawl at the bottom of the screen and couldn’t take it anymore. If you ever needed proof of synchronization between the democrat party and the media…I mean really. Obama mentions a subject and sho’ nuff, there was the polling numbers you need to back him up.

Another thing. Remember Tom Ridge getting ridiculed for the duct tape your windows thing during the SARS scare? That advice looks like unmitigated resolve compared to “wash your hands and cover your mouth when you cough”.

If this junk is bad enough to close public schools why are our Metro buses running?

DanMan on April 30, 2009 at 10:29 AM

DanMan on April 30, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Sshhhh…that part of the plan. ;-)

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM

And Mr. President, please don’t forget to wash your hands after shaking hands with Venezuelan thug dictators who badmouth our country.

bulgaroctonus on April 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Okay, slap upside the head! I almost forgot:

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose.

marybel on April 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM

If Bill Clinton was our first black president, it makes sense that Barack Obama is our first female president.

Strangely enough, the paradigm works…

Bruno Strozek on April 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM

bulgaroctonus on April 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM

EEwwww! Dom’t even want to think about where those hands have been.

As I said in another thread, the Napolitano one,when they had that high-level government swine-flu presser, a few days ago.

Do we really need Cabinet-level officials telling us to cover our mouths when we cough or sneeze, use kleenex and all that?

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Too bad he didn’t tell Biden to shut his mouth and just not talk:

Vice president Joe Biden said today he would tell his family members not to use subways in the U.S. and implied schools should be shuttered as the swine flu outbreak spread to 11 states and forced school closures amid confirmation of the first U.S. death.

Remember, we have nothing to fear but fear itse;f.

Biden: And that’s what I got – fear itself.

Thanks, Joe!

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Who is the hottie in the photo on the front page?

UltimateBob on April 30, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Who is the hottie in the photo on the front page?

UltimateBob on April 30, 2009 at 10:54 AM

That’s Henry Waxman.

Oh, wait, wrong photo.

bulgaroctonus on April 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Ummm…you might want to BE parents (and all that that implies) while you still have time:

A global children’s rights treaty, ratified by every U.N. member except the United States and Somalia, has so alarmed its American critics that some are now pushing to add a parental rights amendment to the Constitution as a buffer against it.

The result is a feisty new twist to a long-running saga over the U.N. Convention on the Rights of The Child. The nearly 20-year-old treaty has ardent supporters and opponents in the United States, and both sides agree that its chances of ratification—while still uncertain—are better under the Obama administration than at any point in the past.

There’s a lot of little things happening that slip under the radar and are really gonna suck when you unknowingly run afoul of them.

tree hugging sister on April 30, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Who is the hottie in the photo on the front page?

That’s Henry Waxman.

bulgaroctonus on April 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Son, we really really need to have the talk.

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Obamunism

The need for the govt. to tell you every move to make.

loudmouth883 on April 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Son, we really really need to have the talk.

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I thought that was the President’s job now…

Not that I need the talk, mind you. It’s just that we were talking about boogers and nose picking, which led me to thinking about nostrils…

bulgaroctonus on April 30, 2009 at 11:08 AM

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I had an urge to channel…I will try to refrain in the future. :)

ladyingray on April 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Hey Ed or AP or whoever… I just got this in an email alert:

On TODAY, Vice President Biden says he has advised his family members to avoid airplanes and subways and “confined spaces.”

- White House quickly issues “clarification” to say administration is recommending no such travel IF YOU ARE SICK.

But wait — didn’t Honest Joe Biden say…

Doesn’t this mean Biden’s family IS SICK?

Why doesn’t the MSM cover the fact that Biden’s family has swinebirdhuman flu?

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I bet Obama would be more concerned if we were facing a pandemic of TelePrompter flu.

bulgaroctonus on April 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

I hate to throw a wet blanket on the question of closing the borders, but what if the unsaid answer is: Maybe we simply don’t have, or don’t want to spend the money for the capability of completely closing our borders.

The US-Mexico border is 1933 miles long. The US-Canada border adds another 5538 (3987 for the lower 48 + 1538 for Alaska). (Source)

The fence envisioned a couple of years ago as a deterrent to illegal immigration costs somewhere between $3.8 and $10 million per mile. You can do the math as easily as I can, but building a fence can turn into a tidy sum rather quickly. And, of course, it can’t be built overnight. Moreover, once it is built, it becomes our Great Wall of America or our Mexican Curtain, by which I mean that there will be maintenance costs (as well as potentially being viewed as a monument to our zenophobia).

As much as I hate to agree with a woman whom I believe to be a complete idiot, Sec. Napolitano, when she was Governor of my fair state, once said: “You build a 50-foot wall, somebody will find a 51-foot ladder.

Not to mention the tunnels.

My point here is twofold: You can build a Great Wall, or you can slow down the border crossing points, and you still can’t keep the disease out. People will cross the border…for a better livelihood, for better schools, and even for better medical care.

And regardless of which approach you take, a responsible .gov (Gawd, I wish we had one of those) has to consider the associated costs.

azlibertarian on April 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

as well as potentially being viewed as a monument to our zenophobia

azlibertarian on April 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Dude, it’s “xenophobia.”

bulgaroctonus on April 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM

The US was very, very particular about screening for that when I returned home, insisting that I account for all my travels (whether I’d visited farms, etc) and clean all of my footwear. And that was for a veterinary illness.

The farming industry has a very powerful federal lobby. The FEMA gains power, and AMA makes money when people get sick – not when diseases are contained.

logis on April 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM

bulgaroctonus on April 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Don’t interrupt…he’s on a roll. :-)

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 11:24 AM

bulgaroctonus on April 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Panic in the streets.

“We interrupt this broadcast for a special message from the President of the United States.”

“Um… ah… about 10… no… um… I haven’t had much sleep lately… ah… uh…”

“This has been a special message from the President of the United States. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.”

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM