100 Days Presser: 150,000 jobs?

posted at 2:55 pm on April 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

It takes a lot of nerve to get up in front of the press and claim job creation or salvation with specific numbers as unemployment skyrockets.  Of course, when Barack Obama does it, the act takes a little less courage, as the everyone knows the national media won’t challenge him on it:

This budget builds on the steps we’ve taken over the last 100 days to move this economy from recession to recovery and ultimately to prosperity.

We began by passing a Recovery Act that has already saved or created over 150,000 jobs and provided a tax cut to 95 percent of all working families.

Really?  Which 150,000 jobs were those?  Does Obama have any supporting data for this claim?  We wouldn’t know from the performance at the press conference, as not one single reporter asked Obama to corroborate that claim.  The only follow-up on jobs came from Andre Showell, who asked a softball about black unemployment and how Obama would address it.

My good friend King Banaian wonders about this as well.  The chair of economics at St. Cloud State University thinks he might have found the origin for the data:

So where do they get away with a number like that?

Actually, I thought this was easy. The administration has claimed that ARRA (“the stimulus bill”) will “save or create” 3.3 million jobs in 2 years. So I thought perhaps what they were doing was taking the date of signing, Feb. 17, computing how much of two years had passed (71/730 ~= 9.7%) and … well, that doesn’t work, because on a pro-rated basis they would get to claim 321,000 jobs.

I thought then maybe he had specific numbers. I recall him saying that he was told Caterpillar would call back the 20,000 in layoffs it had originally called for. But that doesn’t work out either, because Caterpillar is still laying off. Initial filings for unemployment insurance have risen through the first 100 days, though today’s number is a hopeful step downward.

King has a clip of the classic Bullwinkle sequence when he tries to pull a rabbit out of a hat.  I think Obama pulled this number from somewhere else, but be sure to read all of King’s analysis.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hey Rocky, watch me pull some job numbers out of my arse.

Again barack?

thomasaur on April 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM

“And now here’s nothing you’ll really like..”

psrch on April 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

saved or created over 150,000 jobs

Once again, with the newspeak.

lorien1973 on April 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

“Again? But that trick NEVER works!”

“This time, for sure!”

(raaaar!!!)

“Wrong hat?”

“I usually take a size 7!”

“And now here’s something we’ll know you’ll REALLY enjoy!”

ExUrbanKevin on April 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

When will the media ever wake up from their BO trance? UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

txag92 on April 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

ACORN?

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

“1.Ignore any question on which jobs were created.
2. Kill moose and squirrel….”

Vashta.Nerada on April 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Hey Ed, can we get a post up about Obama’s slam of the hedge funds that refused to kowtow his plans of giving control of Chrysler to the Unions?

Skywise on April 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Ed, great work on the 100 days presser series.
You should get an award.
Kudos

carbon_footprint on April 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Hey, don’t complain. Maybe it’s your job he’s talking about having saved.

Gift horse and all that…..

BobMbx on April 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I bet he’s clamining the difference between today’s release of unemployment numbers that beat the estimates.

Skywise on April 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Jobs created – 0
Jobs ‘saved’ – 150K, whether you had anything to do with it or not.
Parsing as opposed to outright lying – priceless.

Vashta.Nerada on April 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Gift horse and all that…..

BobMbx on April 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

You mean moose right?

moose-getti sounds like a good plan for dinner tonight.

upinak on April 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM

“Which 150,000 jobs were those?”

They are the “royal wipers” after NOTUS defecates……….

……… come on Ed, it’s a brave new world.

Seven Percent Solution on April 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Hey, I still have a job after 100 days; obviously, Obama saved it! Huzzah!

Snowed In on April 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I’m starting to wonder how his re-election campaign will sound in 2012. Is he just gonna go out there and throw out BS figures about how many jobs his administration created or saved and expect everyone to accept him at his word, even if the unemployment percentage is in double figures?

Doughboy on April 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Don’t underestimate Barraki…

Upstater85 on April 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Or is it overestimate? Hmmm confusing.

Upstater85 on April 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

How many jobs did he cost the economy by displacing popular shows on all of the networks? Someone must have done this calculation. Advertising jobs lost. Network hours lost for everyone involved. …

progressoverpeace on April 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

ACORN?

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

ACORN handing out condoms to prevent Pig Sickness?

Upstater85 on April 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I’m still employed, so obviously he saved my job.

CookeyD on April 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM

That ain’t nothin’ I tell you. I saved 250,000 jobs yesterday. Plus… I created 190,000 jobs a week ago Friday. I think I’ll create 250,000 jobs tomorrow. Yea. That’s the ticket. I’ll be a job creator / saver. Or is that spelled savior? Anyway, just trust me. I’ll create or savior you a job if you need it.

Griz on April 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Total horse manure. But the press is “enchanted” just the same.

dogsoldier on April 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM

progressoverpeace on April 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Ah, but you didn’t take into account all the NYT jobs that were about to go down the drain until the very professional “enchanting” question. Plus Helen Thomas should be worth like .5 jobs.

Upstater85 on April 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Maybe he stepped on an ant hill. All those ants had to rebuild…

Upstater85 on April 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Crock.

Mason on April 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Natasha: Look, Dahlink, is moose and squirrel.

Boris: Is always moose and squirrel. I get so tired of those two.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on April 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Fox has this and other whoopers he uttered last night. But that’s not important, is it?

Fact Check

Rod on April 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Once again, with the newspeak.

lorien1973 on April 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Newspeak or just classic CYA BS…which the MSM will never call him on…he’s been giving that weasel promise since he started his campaign…he can use any number he wants to because ‘saved or created’ is impossible to verify…but only idiots/toadies (i.e., Obama voters) don’t know or care about that.

AUINSC on April 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM

The Economic Policies of Teh One:

Mi casa es mi casa y su casa es mi casa.

The mathematics of Teh One:

Less is More.

Upstater85 on April 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM

He saved 150,000 jobs, but lost 500,000…”It’s a start…”
To a democrat that is good…
Kind of like spending a trillion, and saving 100 million…
They all took the same math and economics courses.

right2bright on April 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Some Chrysler dealerships will close over time but no jobs will be lost in the short term, President Obama said.

Oh… Yeah… They’ll just go work at the GM dealerships or something

Upstater85 on April 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

The Economic Policies of Teh One:

Mi casa es mi casa y su casa es mi casa.

Upstater85 on April 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Exactly. And I like the Spanish version.

progressoverpeace on April 30, 2009 at 3:15 PM

President TelePrompter was absent the day they taught econ 101 in Harvard.

TN Mom on April 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I hear Bambi has also:

1. Cured or prevented 2,500,000 people of swine flu.
2. Prevented 5 thermo-nuclear wars
3. Halted 8 supernovas of the Sun.
4. Prevented 175,000 cases of early male baldness
5. Kept 3 teams from making bad draft choices in the NFL draft (couldn’t save Oakland though)
6. Prevented 5,250,000 fender benders.
7. Avoided 8,200,000 spam e-mails from bankers in Nigeria
8. Prevented 7,800,000 pieces of toast from landing jelly-side down.

And all of that before lunch …

… today.

PackerBronco on April 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

This wasn’t a press conference it was a performance where the nation’s Swindler in Chief put on a tour de force demonstration of how a confidence man swindles people out of their life savings.

He keeps talking, words pour out, you hear something you agree with, and all the rest is just noise that you ignore. Eventually your brain turns to mush, while you nod in agreement with the cadence of the sounds. Suddenly you find yourself holding a piece of paper, and the Swindler in Chief is saying:

“You are going to be so happy. We have worked so hard. Just sign there on the bottom line. You’re gonna love it. No…No don’t worry about a thing. I’m gonna take care of everything. Yep. Oh..on the other side, just sign there in the middle next to the big X. I’m really delighted you find this such a wonderful deal. I’ve really put a lot of work into it..oh yes, just put your initials in the box up in the corner. Yep. It’ll be great. You’ll love it. I promise.”

Meanwhile you are standing there wondering what just happened, while the Swindler in Chief changes the subject.

“So how long have you lived here? What do you thing of this weather? What kinda dog is that? Kinda cute little fellow. Lovely garden you have there.” He slaps you on the back, says “don’t worry, it’ll be great. I’ll take care of everything”. and walks away whistling.

You’re standing there wondering what just happened.

Skandia Recluse on April 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Thanks to Dear Leader, I, for one, am helping to keep the liquor industry going.

rbj on April 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

White House Swine Flu: Aide Has Suspected Case

Now… why don’t we have a thread on the above. This is going to be great! Maybe we could quarantine the whole WH and Congress for that matter…

Upstater85 on April 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Really? Which 150,000 jobs were those?

No way on God’s green Earth Obama can back up those numbers with anything but a wish and a hope….or one big shining lie.

coldwarrior on April 30, 2009 at 3:18 PM

We have no press corps, the citizens have no access to our Federal government, and the one media outlet in all of America that views this administration with any sense of skepticism is isolated by the political function of the White House.

What will be our manner of redress for grievances or even simple questions and explanations?

Jaibones on April 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

President TelePrompter was absent the day they taught econ 101 in Harvard.

TN Mom on April 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

He never took that. He was busy learning Dictator A$$ Licking 501 – yeah quite advanced. I believe it was taught by Jimmeh Carter…

Upstater85 on April 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

And all of that before lunch …

… today.

PackerBronco on April 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

If he could do all that and pull a squirrel out of his butt, I’d be impressed.

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

150K jobs were saved because 150K abortions were performed. See how it works? Eugenics in action. How freakin’ progressive.

kirkill on April 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I can’t see how he saved any jobs. I was just talking with someone today who works for a small business owner. They started out with 38 people and now they are down to 12. I guess this ladies job was saved because she still has it. I think that is how the one is thinking about this.

She said the guy that was laid off last Fri makes $4 dollars more an hour collecting unemployment than he did working at the company.

Brat4life on April 30, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Skandia Recluse on April 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

There’s a reason I refer to it as the Barack Obama Variety Hour: because I know there’s always gonna be a song and dance…

Snowed In on April 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM

O/T-GOP initiative to ‘reconnect and remake’ the party will include John McCain:

Epic Fail

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I’m still employed, so obviously he saved my job.

CookeyD on April 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM

We have a winner.

fogw on April 30, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Do I have to post another round of “Bush Jobless Recovery” links to show the press handled a 0.1% drop in unemployment during Bush, vs how they handle a 2% increase now.

lorien1973 on April 30, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Funny that the Bulwinkle clip link has him pulling a RINO [sic]out of his hat! Must be the job they saved with Specter.

Christian Conservative on April 30, 2009 at 3:25 PM

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 3:22 PM

they can put all the lipstick on that pig…

lorien1973 on April 30, 2009 at 3:25 PM

“No doubt about it – I gotta get a new hat!”

mojo on April 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Hey Rocky, watch me pull some job numbers out of my arse.

Again barack?

thomasaur on April 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM

ROFLMAO!!!!!

capejasmine on April 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM

how can bambi know how many Chrysler dealerships will close now or later on? the ones i know are family owned or otherwise small business & they don’t know now what shape their business will be in next month,much less next year.

kelley in virginia on April 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM

When will the media ever wake up from their BO trance? UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

txag92 on April 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I’m waiting for that to happen, but something tells me, they already have…but to admit that, would mean they were wrong about it, and Obama, from the very beginning, and they don’t seem to take admitting they were wrong, very well.

capejasmine on April 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Hey Rocky, watch me pull some job numbers out of my arse.

Again barack?

thomasaur on April 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM

+100

HornetSting on April 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM

TOTUS only reads what he is given.

tarpon on April 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Bullsqueeze.

-Dave

Dave R. on April 30, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Jumping G. Horsefat!

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I LOVED that show. One of my favorite Rocky & Bullwinkle moments (Mr. Know It All):

Bullwinkle is explaining why the Hi Fi is such a great device.

Bullwinkle: “You can even use it to tell time.” (Bullwinkle cranks up the volume.)

Boris Badenov: BAM BAM BAM “Turn that thing down, don’t you know it’s 3 o’clock in the morning?”

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM

How many of those 150,000 are “Czars”?

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Perhaps some memeber of the White House Press will ask a follow up to Gibbs on this number and how it came about.

myrenovations on April 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Daggett on April 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Rocket J. Squirrel introducing Obama:

And now, here to tell you everything about anything is Mr. Know-It-All.

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM

announced by Obama today. “I saved the jobs at chrysler”. He takes Chap 11 credit and calls those jobs he saved. Pres bush didn’t lay off anyone at chrysler. For whom did he save the jobs?

seven on April 30, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Hey, Using the the president in training’s method…I made several BILLION more than GM. why don’t feel rich?

The topic of this thread would be a great question for Mr. Tapper to bring to the next press corps slobberfest.

Fighton03 on April 30, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Jumping G. HorseCRAP!

Loxodonta on April 30, 2009 at 3:29 PM

FIFY

Fighton03 on April 30, 2009 at 3:44 PM

they can put all the lipstick on that pig…

lorien1973 on April 30, 2009 at 3:25 PM

hmmmm…swine flu…..BO likes pigs with lipstick…..coincidence?

Fighton03 on April 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Griz on April 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM

hahahaha. My town has lost all kinds of jobs, maybe you’d like to sprinkle some of the savior dust up here! We used to have at least 3 pages of want ads, now there’s hardly even one. Spread the magic!

scalleywag on April 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Remember when the dems called Bush’s 5% unemployment rate a facade because the jobs were not “living wage” jobs?

I suppose all those Masters degree burger flippers & Skilled workers washing windows are Obama’s magic 150,000.

portlandon on April 30, 2009 at 3:49 PM

seven on April 30, 2009 at 3:36 PM

My stinkin’ Chrysler engine blew on Saturday. Two jobs were saved: the mechanic’s who is going to fix it and mine because I have to keep working to pay for it!

Brat on April 30, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Yeah, but they still got a business don’t they? Time to update Bambi’s number.

150,012 and counting …

PackerBronco on April 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Which was the only question I saw as I passed over the channels on my way to Seinfeld or Everybody Loves Raymond, or something. And of course, TOTUS didn’t answer the question by saying, “No, I don’t have any specific plans to employ Black men.” He instead rambled on trying to sound like he had their backs just by “staying the course.” (and I paraphrase).

Traffic Cop Timmy on April 30, 2009 at 3:57 PM

How many UAW members are there?

Blacklake on April 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Remember when he first got into office, everything was gloom and dooooooom and the sky was falling? All because of the 8 years of Bush’s failed policies? Well, the day is finally here…100 days later. This is the part where he reminds us that the whole world was about to fall into one big black abyss until he stepped in and SAVED THE WORLD. GLORY BE! He’s pulled out jobs and more jobs and gosh look at that, even MORE jobs, all out of that one little hat. He’s also pulled out wads and wads of cash for almost every American in the form of a tax cut, $400 of tax cuts for each and every one of it. Golly gee whillakers, Rockie…what a superior being this president is, accomplishing all that in a mere 100 days.

scalleywag on April 30, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Really? Which 150,000 jobs were those?

This statement will be proven to be absolute fact when ACORN releases its preliminary US Census data.

malclave on April 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM

The Obama money quote: “A job created or saved to each according to his abilities and according to his or her needs”

moxie_neanderthal on April 30, 2009 at 4:03 PM

It is easy to explain the 150,000 jobs. Obama has caused a major buying spree and somebody had to make all that stuff. Keep up the good work, Barak. That is a stimulus I can believe in!

From Ammoland.com:

“In just 3 months Americans bought enough guns to outfit the entire Chinese and Indian army’s combined.”

“You also bought 1,529,635,000 rounds of ammunition in just the month of December 2008. Yeah that is right, that is Billion with a “B”. This number takes no accounting of reloading or reloaded ammunition.”

“This is an evaluation of overall firearms and ammunition purchases based on low end numbers per Federal NIC instacheck data base Statistics. The numbers presented are only PART of the overall numbers of arms and ammunition that have been sold. The actual numbers are much higher.”

Yoop on April 30, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I noted here that Max Baucus told Tim Geithner that they’d put together a can’t lose system. Priceless.

LFRGary on April 30, 2009 at 4:06 PM

POTUS Obama has just discovered an additional 2,000 jobs that have been created.

The White House has contracted for 1,200 people that have been added to the company that builds teleprompters. An additional 800 people have been hired to move them to, and set them up, at all potential future townhall meeting sites.

It was calculated that the prepositioning would save one billion dollars.

Yoop on April 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM

This is the one that drives me up the wall. “Created or saved” and “tax cut for 95% of all working families” are mythical creatures that could easily be exposed by any journalist who wants to honor his or her profession. It’s become a joke to me that Obama rattles off these campaign-isms with no repercussions.

BardMan on April 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM

“Mr. President, in light of the fact that the US GDP has plummeted since you took office, please explain to America: What enchanted you most about creating all of those new jobs?”

logis on April 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Obamaman is lying, as usual, Chicago style. He just makes it up as he goes, or says what his handlers tell him too. He and his Admin know that the press will not question “The One’.

Susanboo on April 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

It is pretty easy to create jobs when all one has to do is make the claim minus the workers, as Obama did. Simply making it up is the new reality in Washington.

JIMV on April 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Hey, I still have a job after 100 days; obviously, Obama saved it! Huzzah!

Snowed In on April 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I think you’ve hit on something: The abstractness of that number may cause quite a few people to personalize the statement.

Kind of like how I’ve heard that 75% of people polled consider themselves above average drivers (or something like that), now several million people can each consider himself one of the lucky 150,000 for whom Obama (personally, no doubt!) saved his job.

The sneaky part (on top of the fact that the number seems completely bogus), is that even if someone does publicly retracts the statement to lower the number, the number itself doesn’t really matter. Without knowing what exactly these supposed jobs were,with “saved” in the descriptor, everyone is now free to assume they are the lucky one’s he’s talking about…and so each one of us potentially owes Obama our livelihood….right?

BlueCollarAstronaut on April 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Why couldn’t Bullwinkle and Rocky run for president? They would be better than these brain surgeons! Only a leftie Dem thinks that the GOVERNMENT creates jobs! Oh, my bad! I keep forgetting that there will soon be NO private sector!

righty64 on April 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Really? Which 150,000 jobs were those? Does Obama have any supporting data for this claim?

That’s the beauty of his repeated “created or saved” BS. You can’t disprove it. When we lose 600,000 jobs a month, Obama will simply say “but imagine if I hadn’t saved so many other jobs”.

This is so disgusting that anyone allows him to get away with “saved” jobs.

RightWinged on April 30, 2009 at 4:53 PM

ACORN?

bluelightbrigade on April 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I am sure ACORN is hiring… paid with tax dollars, to insure Democrats remain the majority party.

Dasher on April 30, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Aks Obama and he says he saved peoria caterpillar jobs. Ask Caterpillar and they laid people off. wonder who is honest?
The largest winner I know about is rush Limbaugh. His ratings are awesome.

seven on April 30, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I swear to God, Obama could get up there and say the earth was flat and the press corps would just smile and nod and move onto the next question.

Terrye on April 30, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Fall in US GDP worst in 51 years

Why? Obama’s policies….
No one in the MSM dares utter the words Obama & Failure in the same sentence.
I don’t care how much “Swagga” Obama has….it won’t create jobs. Nor will his “stimulus” create jobs….The “stimulus” was a democratic trojan horse from the get go….But anyone who reads HOTAIR on a regular basis knows that anyway.

A Marxist leader who gets everything he wants is in direct conflict with the capitalist society that produced the great wealth & power that Americans enjoyed. I say “enjoyed” in the past tense. Once the young libs realize all their iPhone dreams will be gone with a Marxist ruler then they may revolt.
But then again – Obama has the “Swagga” – The Marxist “Swagga”

izoneguy on April 30, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I applied the brakes as I drove the bus over the cliff.

unclesmrgol on April 30, 2009 at 6:10 PM

He’s just being modest. He’s actually “saved” over 89% of the jobs in the American market. He’s that amazing.

amkun on April 30, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I’m assuming that because I still have a job it is because Obama saved it for me.

Thanks Barack!