Open thread: Super-president to celebrate himself with press conference

posted at 7:28 pm on April 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

8 p.m. ET, all around the dial. A toast to 100 days of bloggy goodness, my friends. Traffic is up, Rush’s ratings are soaring, and FNC owns every time slot from morning til late night. Sure, America’s on the fast track to economic ruin, but the man’s a gold mine for conservative media. (And not-so-conservative media.) Your must-read while we’re waiting for tonight’s snoozer to begin is the AP daring to call The One on his mind-blowing lie that the crippling deficits to come aren’t really his fault. Quote:

Congress controls the purse strings, not the president, and it was under Democratic control for Obama’s last two years as Illinois senator. Obama supported the emergency bailout package in President George W. Bush’s final months — a package Democratic leaders wanted to make bigger…

Still, his response to the crisis goes well beyond “one-time charges.”

He’s persuaded Congress to expand children’s health insurance, education spending, health information technology and more. He’s moving ahead on a variety of big-ticket items on health care, the environment, energy and transportation that, if achieved, will be more enduring than bank bailouts and aid for homeowners.

The nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimated his policy proposals would add a net $428 billion to the deficit over four years, even accounting for his spending reduction goals. Now, the deficit is nearly quadrupling to $1.75 trillion.

Christopher Buckley is, nevertheless, “delighted” at what he’s seen so far, notwithstanding the fact that he seems to disagree with most of The One’s policies. There’s no underestimating the value of “swagga,” I guess. To get yourself in the mood for what’s to come, enjoy video at Gateway Pundit of St. Louis tea partiers greeting Obama before his town hall today. No wonder he was cranky.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

wow.

bluelightbrigade on April 29, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Zzzzzz

TheTrollhammer on April 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM

“I have a gift, Harry.”

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I have other things to do. Someone tell me how it goes.

upinak on April 29, 2009 at 7:32 PM

I thought stroking yourself in public was illegal.

seejanemom on April 29, 2009 at 7:32 PM

He actually disclaimed responsibility for the deficit earlier today.

“That wasn’t me” was the direct quote.

He must laugh himself to sleep at night knowing he can say whatever he wants and the sheeple and the MSM will happily swoon over his ‘swagga.’

BardMan on April 29, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Is bho on tv again?
L

letget on April 29, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Super-president to celebrate himself with press conference

Self-indulgence from the One? Perish the thought.

VanPalin on April 29, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Super-president to celebrate himself with press conference

haha. Funny, but kind of sad as well. After 8 years of Bush you guys don’t know how to react when a president is coherent enough to…you know…actually have press conferences.

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I had planned to watch and then I learned it was on at the same time as reruns of Benson. I guess I’ll have to get the gist of it tomorrow.

Mason on April 29, 2009 at 7:33 PM

TOTUS will be wearing his best tonite fer sure.

darwin on April 29, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Christopher Buck’s daddy would DIE if he thought his son was such a piss ant.

Oh. He did.

nevermind

He and The Gipper are up in heaven consoling each other over their demon seed.

seejanemom on April 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

He must laugh himself to sleep at night knowing he can say whatever he wants and the sheeple and the MSM will happily swoon over his ’swagga.’

I don’t know what I admire more… his swagga or his thug thizzle.

VanPalin on April 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Who’s got the beer? I need to start drinking.

Oh wait a minute, I haven’t stopped drinking since January 20th, silly me.

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

haha. Funny, but kind of sad as well. After 8 years of Bush you guys don’t know how to react when a president is coherent enough to…you know…actually have press conferences read a long statement off a teleprompter. Then answer as few questions as possible.

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Wethal on April 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

TOTUS will be wearing his best tonite fer sure.

darwin on April 29, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I wonder if they will Chrome Plate the TOTUS!

upinak on April 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Hahaha … that’s funny. You guys thought Bush was an idiot, but this clown can’t even complete a sentence without TOTUS.

Hahahaha

darwin on April 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

I won’t be watching. I’m heavily involved in this really slow moving game on civony.com where I sit and watch the clock tick — timer tick — over to the next decision point. Hours and hours of watching the count down clock reach zero.

Just too much fun. Sorry I’m going to miss the world event.

Tell me what happens later?

Skandia Recluse on April 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Shoot. Me. NOW.

This is why I dont have TV

thebrokenrattle on April 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Again?

Bob's Kid on April 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Just wait until he nationalizes the media. He’ll be on every channel 24/7.

Daggett on April 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM

He and The Gipper are up in heaven consoling each other over their demon seed.

seejanemom on April 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I just hope that they’re lobbying the Good Lord to give us another chance.

thomasaur on April 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Seriously… I have other things to do. Grill a steak, I am going to repot my veggies (last time for repotting) so I have some awesome veggies this summer.

Anyone else to busy to watch this… display?

upinak on April 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM

darwin on April 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Here is exhibit A of what I’m talking about. I know you’re confused darwin by this whole “press conference” thing, and when you’re confused you lash out in anger. But having a president who can go on tv and answer questions from reporters is a good thing. Ok? : )

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM

How many does this make? 5? 6? in the first 100 days?
When do you think he will stop campaigning and actually start leading?

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Oh Barry, Oh Barry, how do we love you? Let us count the wuhhs, uhh, uhh, ways.

innominatus on April 29, 2009 at 7:40 PM

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Especially when said questions are written for the reporters by the White House in advance. That takes real presidential prowess right there.

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Wow! So Bush couldn’t even handle that?

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Anyone else to busy to watch this… display?

upinak on April 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I’ll be out walking the dog and watching him take a dump.

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM

I’ll be out walking the dog and watching him take a dump.

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Same/same

thomasaur on April 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Time to fire up that thar telee-prompter thingie!

pilamaye on April 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Anyone else to busy to watch this… display?

upinak on April 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I told myself this is perfect time to finish up a painting I started last month and then I will be watching it dry.

sherry on April 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I think I will watch Women on Death Row instead.

Terrye on April 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM

After 8 years of Bush you guys don’t know how to react when a president is coherent enough to…you know…start reading something off the prompter that he said two minutes ago, then tell his techs to scroll down so he can continue.

Yeah, wow, a live version of something he could just as easily have recorded and put in front of a cardboard cutout.

Bishop on April 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Watching Obama use TOTUS is like playing PONG. I wonder how many points I can score?

faraway on April 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM

“Hey, I’ve already answer like, seven or eight questions.”

Bishop on April 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I just hope that they’re lobbying the Good Lord to give us another chance.

thomasaur on April 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Sadly, my brotha, I am betting against the USA on this one.

SO. SO. Sadly.

We have pushed our luck and fallen asleep at the wheel of peace and plenty.

America as we know it….as our grandparents knew it…is OVER.

seejanemom on April 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

crr6:

Bush could do press conferences and because he could keep his answers under 20 minutes he actually answered more than three questions.

But then again, the majority of the people who voted for Obama are so uninformed that they thought Republicans controlled Congress…so they are simple and thus easily impressed. All Obama needs to tell them is that the free stuff is on the way.

Terrye on April 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Stand by for post about Sarah Palin.

amerpundit on April 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Time to fire up that thar telee-prompter thingie!

pilamaye on April 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Probably have to do a ‘walk-thru’ before showtime and iron out any possible glitches.

thomasaur on April 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Wow! So Bush couldn’t even handle that?

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM

That’s my point; Bush took unscripted, random questions and that takes courage to do. Imagine Obama taking questions at random:
Jake Tapper: “Mr. President, thank you. My question is pertaining to the Air Force One “photo op” in Lower Manhattan two days ago; who exactly authorized that and if it was not you, does this show a lack of accountability and responsibility on your part?”

Teleprompter Boy: “Jake, thank you, eh, for the, eh, question. Eh, in a sense, eh, er, there is a certain, um, newschannel that eh, er, eh, a newschannel that I, I, I’m not very popular with, er, on, er with, eh, and with that in mind, er, er, those teabags that the, eh the folks are dangling around are in need of er, er, intelligent debate. Thank you, Chuck Todd? You have a question?”

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Look, I can’t stand watching this buffoon go on TV ever 3 weeks either, but the stupid masses apparently like it. They think of him as a black Brad Pitt.

Speedwagon82 on April 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

This guy is going to get real nasty when this whole thing unravels.

d1carter on April 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Isnt there something good on TV tonight…hmmm I recommend for those that have nothing else going on…Lie to me. This little presser of Obama’s is costing the networks millions of dollars.

Obama first 100 days = Lie to Me.

canditaylor68 on April 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

LOST better start at 9pm…

JetBoy on April 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Terrye on April 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

This is the heartbreaking truth of it all.

It all comes down to numbers>>how many are in the cart and how many are attempting to pull it.

ATLAS IS SHRUGGING , MY FRIENDS>>>>> DO YOU HAVE A GULCH?

seejanemom on April 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM

America as we know it….as our grandparents knew it…is OVER.
seejanemom on April 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? It’s not over until we SAY it’s over.

And I for one am saying NOT OVER; see you on the field if it comes to that.

Bishop on April 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Sppedwagon:

Who knows if they like it? American Idol gets better ratings.

But there will be hard questions like:

What makes you so wonderful?

Are you really the Son of God?

Can I have your baby?

Can I kiss you arse?

Can I tell any lies for you?

etc.

Terrye on April 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I’ll be too busy washing my cat.

itsspideyman on April 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

“Lie to Me” or “press conference”…… same thing.

txag92 on April 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

This guy is starting to scare the crap out of me.I think he is starting to think he will be Pres for life and no one can stop him.I would not be suprized if he has already talked to someone about his face on Mt.Rushmore.I think as time goes by he will think who needs the courts,congress or the const.You can also see he is starting to believe his own press.The thing the Libs.don,t understand is that Demiegods come after everone Mod.,Consev.,Libs.and the media. God help us

thmcbb on April 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

crr6:

Bush could do press conferences

Bush had the fewest formal press conferences out of any modern president starting with Eisenhower. He could not and did not “do” press conferences.

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Drinking game…………..

………… when he refers to himself as “we” instead of “I”, as a King would say;

“We are pleased with the entertainment tonight…..”

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Speedwagon82 on April 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

3 weeks???? What are ya talking about, he’s on the boob tube every day including his campaign stop in Missouri today.

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

I don’t even watch these snoozefests, and yet they’re still getting old.

God, this man is a narcissist creep.

Hawkins1701 on April 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

seejanemom:

I read that book. I thought it was kind of silly, but the premise was very good. You can only live off a few people for so long.

I think that the worm might turn yet.

Terrye on April 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Bishop on April 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Otis TOTUS, MY MAN!

Christien on April 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:33 PM

First of all, Bush had press conferences where he actually answered tough questions from the media.

Second, don’t tell me about Obama’s coherence when he can’t, as Maureen Dowd even jokes, even get angry without a teleprompter. He can read a script; and when that goes away, you get a bumbling idiot who openly talks about the need for the teleprompter to speed up or just rambles on and on about nothingness.

amerpundit on April 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM

crr6:

Bush could do press conferences

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Hey a– wipe. Bush had other things to do like WORK. Something you and Obozo apparently don’t know how to do.

txag92 on April 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Just in time to turn off the TV. I’ll keep HA open in one window and sexytropicalfishinlingerie dot com open in another.

Popcorn anyone?

Limerick on April 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Bush’s press conferences were actual press conferences, not calling on dolts from The Huffington Post etc.

Speedwagon82 on April 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

And as for Obama’s press conferences, the reporters and talking points are predetermined. It’s not a major secret that press secretaries and handlers tell the president who to call on and what to say.

amerpundit on April 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I’m not going to watch, to close to dinner time.. Obama is all about Obama, me, me, me.. Doesn’t give a rats a$$ about us American’s, especially middle America(flyover)..

and crr6??? Have teleprompter, will travel!! It isn’t his words, it’s Axelrod via Soros.. So give me a BREAK..

reshas1 on April 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM

crr6:

Bush spoke to the press on a regular basis. He did not do these little shows where the questions were picked in advance and no one was allowed to embarrass him. He did not make a point of taking over the TV and trying to shove his face in everyone else’s face like he was some sort of narcissistic big brother screaming look at me every freaking time the opportunity presented itself to show off.

Saddam Hussein was TV in Iraq, all day every day they got to look at and listen to the Dear Leader. I would not be surprised if the Obama show was not around the corner.

Terrye on April 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM

I’ll be too busy washing my cat.

itsspideyman on April 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I hope its declawed.

Na bean don Chat gun Lamhain…

canditaylor68 on April 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Ann Compton: “Mr. President, I would like to ask you a question regarding race?”
Teleprompter Boy: “Sure.”
Ann Compton: “Who is winning the race, vis-a-vis, kissing your ass the hardest, the longest and with the most saliva?”
Teleprompter Boy: “Easy, that would be Chris Matthews.”
LAUGHTER

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Another Drinking Game…………..

…………. take a swig if the reporters applause.

Finish the bottle if one of them faints………

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2009 at 7:57 PM

This guy is going to get real nasty when this whole thing unravels.

d1carter on April 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

But don’t you GET IT? That is THE POINT!!!!

He will “get nasty” and take our guns, shut down our banking system by loaning only to those who are “worthy”, and seizing our money for the purposes of redistributing it to the hungry peasants who “ROLL ON DUBS” but can’t find the money for adequate health care for their numerous children.

seejanemom on April 29, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Finish the bottle if one of them faints………

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2009 at 7:57 PM

How the heck do you tell if Helen Thomas fainted?

Limerick on April 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM

txag92 on April 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM

That’s not fair, Obama gets to the office at 9:00 AM sharp every other day.

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM

LOST better start at 9pm…

JetBoy on April 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Damn right. Cut into LOST and you are on my s**t list forever. My husband knows better than to even come in the room when it’s on, lol.

jewells45 on April 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM

txag92 on April 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Uh huh. Actually Bush is sometimes often called the “vacation” president because he spent over 900 days at Camp David or in his Texas ranch. Nice try though!

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

FAIL

What more needs to be said?

alteredbeat on April 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

By the way LOSTS 100th episode, Obama’s 100th day? Coincidence??? It’s a conspiracy!!

jewells45 on April 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

That pic and heading are exactly the way I feel about his 100 day milestone ‘celebration’. Self congratulatory, smarmy, with a touch of scare on what’s to come and how much more he needs from us.

4shoes on April 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Someone needs to remove Juan Williams from Fox, or better yet someone needs to remove his libs from Obama’s arse.

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I’ll be too busy washing my cat.
itsspideyman on April 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

How do you get the hair off your tongue?

Bishop on April 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Just saw that TOTUS is missing tonight; looks like Monitor of the United States gets the nod.
TOTUS will be pissed.

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Christopher Buckley is, nevertheless, “delighted” at what he’s seen so far

He’s also probably wearing a depends, and drooling in a cup. How else do we explain that one?

How the heck do you tell if Helen Thomas fainted?

Limerick on April 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

capejasmine on April 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

How the heck do you tell if Helen Thomas fainted?

Limerick on April 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM

She stops swatting away the flies……….

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Let the Obama butt kissing begin!

Speedwagon82 on April 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Please, God, someone ask something that doesn’t have to do with swine flu…I want Scare Force One addressed!

Emily M. on April 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Buzz of troll.

Ignore the troll.

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM

That’s “Swine Flu” Skippy………

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

And he had his staff and communications ready at both places. How many weekends since he was sworn in has Obama already spent at Camp David?

Wethal on April 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Big screen is in the back of the room. Didn’t trust TOTUS on such an important night.

thomasaur on April 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Great. Wash your hands.

carbon_footprint on April 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

pres cant use anything associated with pig, pork, swine in the event that we associate pigs, pork or swine with him!

kringeesmom on April 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Birdman of Alcatraz is starting now. The news will have this performance on for days.

qestout on April 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Cover your eyes when Obama comes on the tube.

jewells45 on April 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

oooooo, big monitor time.

And health advice from the monitor.

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

How bout the bipartisan support for the Budget Barry??? hmmm

kringeesmom on April 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

my DTV is out. Storms are coming.

shucks!

TN Mom on April 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

crr6 on April 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Did you hear that they have telephones and other advanced devices at Camp David, that some scientists found a way for the President to actually communicate with the outside world from there?

I know I know, I was amazed too! I understand those same scientists are also working on a method to allow the President to actually communicate from Air Force One, though I have no idea how they will keep the phone line from getting wrapped around the wings during takeoff.

Bishop on April 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM

crr6:

You are an idiot. Just the other day Barack went golfing when the swine flu thing was starting up and when a few people pointed that out they were reminded that he was still the president, even playing golf.

Obama plays all the time. Obama does not even know that his own White House staff is sending planes out to buzz Manhattan.

As for Bush, he was the president even in Texas or wherever. He talked to military commanders every day, more than once. He was always aware of what was going on.

I don’t think Obama has a clue. I think he is a joke.

Terrye on April 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM

The math illiterate is about to lecture us all about economics, now. Whoopee!

progressoverpeace on April 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Eh, I can’t focus anymore. Let me know how it goes.

Emily M. on April 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Lie…

Lie…

Lie…

Lie…

Lie..

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Back to that 95 percent tax cut.

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM