Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:44 am on April 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Allahpundit already covered this, but since it fits with the OOTD graphics and this is supposed to be a handy collection of flubs, we’ve eventually got to add When TOTUSes Attack:

Laying his plan for a President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, Obama began to name the members of PCAST listed in his prepared remarks – before realizing he’d already introduced them, earlier in his speech.

“In addition to John – sorry, the – I just noticed I jumped the gun here,” Obama said, pausing for several seconds as he looked at the prompter. “Go ahead. Move it up. I had already introduced all you guys.”

Maybe we’ll just call these Teleflubbies.

Comments

these are the only bright spots in the dismal political days our country faces now. thanks ed.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Notice he consciously avoided use of the word “teleprompter”. Maybe if he doesn’t say it we won’t notice.

CapitalistPig on April 29, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Oh wait till we get to the new Crack laws. OMG!
Changing the laws so less blacks will be in jail.

johnnyU on April 29, 2009 at 8:48 AM

“Pardon me while I uh, wait to be told what to say,” -Chief Executive and Commander in Chief of the United States of America.

Akzed on April 29, 2009 at 8:48 AM

The President can’t control his teleprompter or his airplane.

Disturb the Universe on April 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Maybe we’ll just call these Teleflubbies.

LOL…I like.

RepubChica on April 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM

My guess is 10 minutes

LordDaMan on April 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Thanks for posting the transcript, Ed.

I can’t bring myself to watch BHO actually talk.

bluelightbrigade on April 29, 2009 at 8:51 AM

George Soros just had to take that phone call.

PS, Ed, how about doing an FOIA for the Statute of Liberty photo and posting it. I’d like to see what $328,835 got. Just hope it’s not blurry or there’s a thumb in the way.

rbj on April 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM

CapitalistPig on April 29, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Did his best to not utter the word. I love how the mockery is in his head and swimming under his skin.

sherry on April 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM

My guess is 10 minutes

LordDaMan on April 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM

“Go f*** yourself, San Diego…” – Ron Burgundy

bluelightbrigade on April 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM

johnny u: even if we changed the drug laws per se, many would still go to jail (and alot of them would be black) due to the felonies that crack addicts commit to get their hands on more crack. its not just the dealers.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 8:53 AM

President Obama is the Teflon(tm) Don-key, meaning that the more we highlight his incompetence and inexperience, the harder the Dems cheer for him, defend him. But this won’t last-I don’t think that the Dems who voted for him want to turn the country towards Socialism-most of the population has benefited from Capitalism their entire lives.
Socialism is an intellectual conceit.

Doug on April 29, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Maybe we’ll just call these Teleflubbies.

Consarnit it, why can’t I be this quick?

Beck had it right on his show yesterday, why does Oflyby need to use a ‘prompter for EVERYTHING he says? Beck played a little audio clip of Mr. Cool just giving a quick update to the press that he was on top of the swine flu thingie, just a quick blurb to the reporters, and even then he needed the teleprompter.

Bishop on April 29, 2009 at 8:54 AM

“I have a gift” well , someone gave him a teleprompter.

the_nile on April 29, 2009 at 8:55 AM

“I have a gift” well , someone gave him a teleprompter.

the_nile on April 29, 2009 at 8:55 AM

And it’s the gift that keeps on giving.

Disturb the Universe on April 29, 2009 at 8:58 AM

of course the dems want to turn the country towards socialism–more people are leaving the repub. party & moving to the dems everyday. everybody wants a handout.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 8:58 AM

When i watched this last night it seemed almost staged. It seemed like a deliberate thumbing of the nose at everybody who gigs him about the teleprompter…”yeah, im totally dependent on my teleprompter, guess what? i am the coolest and most popular prez evah, so nobody cares…”

surrounded on April 29, 2009 at 8:59 AM

He’s already a LAME duck and he’s just barely cleared the first 100 days. Sheesh.

AubieJon on April 29, 2009 at 9:00 AM

i am feeling so pessimistic about our prospects.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I love it. Even I (and I don’t do all that much public speaking) can improvise if I get ahead of myself in prepared remarks. Weddings, funerals, presentation at work. All typewritten notes. All can be improvised if I have to.
This dude is so dependent on a teleprompter that I’m surprised it doesn’t follow him on remote controlled wheels everywhere. It’s hilarious.

Hey, maybe the One didn’t know about the flight around NYC that AF1 took. Maybe the teleprompter ordered it. (cue Twilight Zone music)

mjk on April 29, 2009 at 9:06 AM

surrounded on April 29, 2009 at 8:59 AM

No. The machine glitched…pay attention.

RepubChica on April 29, 2009 at 9:07 AM

“Go f*** yourself, San Diego…” – Ron Burgundy

bluelightbrigade on April 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM

“I’m Ron Burgandy?”

Yeah, that’s the first thing I think of when ol’ Telep has its tiny little breakdowns….

mjk on April 29, 2009 at 9:07 AM

CapitalistPig on April 29, 2009 at 8:47 AM

It was painfully obvious, wasn’t it.

Maybe it was just my tv, but I swear his face turned red.

petefrt on April 29, 2009 at 9:09 AM

George Soros just had to take that phone call.

rbj on April 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM

We should start saying that George Soros was on the plane. Make the White house deny it.

rockmom on April 29, 2009 at 9:09 AM

CapitalistPig on April 29, 2009 at 8:47 AM

More notably, he did not use the term TOTUS.

Peri Winkle on April 29, 2009 at 9:12 AM

And Obama has another opportunity tonight in his prime time press conference!

The fact that the DC press corps can sit attentively by while Obama looks over their heads and reads them a speech is truly funny.

BigD on April 29, 2009 at 9:13 AM

mjk on April 29, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Good Gaia…TOTUS could be the precursor to Skynet or….WOPR?

If Oflyby ever utters “Want to play a game” during one of his speeches, grab your ready bag and head for the wilderness.

Bishop on April 29, 2009 at 9:13 AM

My guess is 10 minutes

LordDaMan on April 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM

I wish I had lots of money – I’d offer a hefty prize to anyone who can hack in and get him to recite ALL of “Mary Had a Little Lamb”.

Daggett on April 29, 2009 at 9:13 AM

i am feeling so pessimistic about our prospects.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Worst part is much of the Obama transformation is darn near irrevocable.

petefrt on April 29, 2009 at 9:15 AM

“Go ahead. Move it up. I had already introduced all you guys.”

This guy is just so stinking disrespectful.

misslizzi on April 29, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Well, at least he wasn’t addressing his plans to oversee something like technology (or science)…then the reminder of this adminstration’s lack of mad technological skillz might have been somewhat embarassing.

Wait. What was this speech about to again?

BlueCollarAstronaut on April 29, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Speaking off prompter shows the real O. His gift is reading. They wind him up, send him out, he reads, lifts his chin, swings his head back and forth, smiles or grimaces, answers questions about the dog and retreats. We don’t have a president, we have a robot.

Kissmygrits on April 29, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Kissmygrits on April 29, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Yeah, well I don’t know about you, but I’m proud of my Alpha-literate Precedent. Clean and articulate, baby!

RepubChica on April 29, 2009 at 9:29 AM

sherry on April 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Hee hee hee. No one likes being mocked, but Teh One is exceptionally thin skinned. If he doesn’t like it maybe he can DO SOME WORK to familiarize himself with remarks so he can wing it next time. That’s what embarrassment does to us mere mortals.

inviolet on April 29, 2009 at 9:31 AM

No ad libs, NEVER unscripted.

rockbend on April 29, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Thanks again, Ed. Please keep pushing that stone uphill until someone in the Obamedia finally notices and helps to shoulder the load. Hope your strength holds out.

SKYFOX on April 29, 2009 at 9:37 AM

rockmom on April 29, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Heh.

Someone should start asking Dear Leader questions about Soros and watch Him hem and haw over it.

rbj on April 29, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I really hate his pronunciation of “guys”.

Reminds me of that SNL skit, “Daaaa Bearsss”

amkun on April 29, 2009 at 9:50 AM

He is not a great communicator. He is a great orator. Huge difference between someone that is able to clearly and effectively communicate core beliefs in an interactive and spontaneous way and someone that sounds good reading a story (off of a teleprompter or otherwise). Frankly I sound pretty good reading books out loud to my children. Or, at least that is what they tell me.

watson007 on April 29, 2009 at 9:51 AM

He is not a great communicator. He is a great orator. Huge

watson007 on April 29, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I don’t find him a great orator. He has a bad habit of rhythmically clipping the ends of his words and going up in pitch at the end of his sentences that is quite blatantly amateurish. His cadences are rhythmic and often inappropriate. He also speaks with no feeling. Rather than being cool, it sounds artificial, which it is.

BigD on April 29, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I miss the bad old days when we had a President who couldn’t speak worth a damn. At least Bush, in eschewing a 24/7 PR manufactured speaking persona, was honest with the public about his abilities.

It’s almost as if Obama is afraid of something more than just the superficial appearance of being an ignoramus.

Dusty on April 29, 2009 at 10:03 AM

ChimpyO is a embarrassment to this country.

csdeven on April 29, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Even actors make a vague effort to learn their lines.

This empty suit just reads what he’s told to.

Ares on April 29, 2009 at 10:12 AM

hawkdriver! This Obamateurism is for you and your crew.

Loxodonta on April 29, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I never thought I’d see the day where I had no desire to hear what the POTUS had to say about anything, but that day is here. Every single day, there he is on the front page of everywhere you look, even if it’s just to make fun of him and point out his flaws. The whole world media and even all the blogs are obsessed with his every move. I wonder how desperate he would become for attention if everyone stopped paying attention?

scalleywag on April 29, 2009 at 10:14 AM

When TOTUSes Attack

hehe

Alana on April 29, 2009 at 10:27 AM

rockmom on April 29, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Soros was on the plane. Prove it wrong. Repeat often.

I want to know who is behind the curtain, obviously Obama has no input into his speeches – he has no idea what he is ever saying.

He is a terrible reader as he can’t read ahead of his mouth moving. This gap tips off the fact that he doesn’t write his speeches, nor does he have input into the writing, further in his arrogance, he doesn’t pre-read them. Prior to the election he pre-read, and gave the appearance of ownership of the words, and emotion to the ideas. He is calling it in now. “I won.”

No amount of pulpit-like cadence, faux-ivy league pronunciation of selected words (Pakistan=poo-kee-stan), or valley girl pitch change at the end of a sentence, distracts from the sheer vapidness of the delivery. The country will soon grow weary of every ad-lib beginning with “like I said before”, “as I have already said” – it is a dismissive to the recipient – just another way of saying “go away kid, ya bother me”.

He and his supporters are terribly thinned skinned on this teleprompeter issue and should be hit hard and often about it. Because it is the path to the man behind the curtain – and that is where the scary truth is. The truth they fear too.

batterup on April 29, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Well put, batterup.

Alana on April 29, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Teleflubbies

Thanks for the laugh, Ed. That’s about the right age group. It’s a keeper.

Loxodonta on April 29, 2009 at 10:38 AM

My favorite Obamateurism – as of right now. I especially enjoyed his forced smirk when the audience, as they realized TOTUS had done it again, started laughing. I would imagine Odumbo was 3 seconds from storming off the stage before he remembered why he couldn’t.

This inability to laugh it himself is deeply disturbing – especially when there are so many opportunities. Isn’t this what the Left kept harping on W about – the inability and refusal to admit to a mistake? And over something so inconsequential, too.

gopmom on April 29, 2009 at 10:39 AM

batterup on April 29, 2009 at 10:29 AM

So true but you forgot the most insulting phrase of all to come out of his mouth… “let me be perfectly clear”. I love being talked down to like I only have a 4th grade education and can only comprehend the small words. What a giant ass!!!

milwife88 on April 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Ever noticed that when Obama speaks, George Soros’ lips move? And you can’t see Soros’ right hand when Obama is speaking, either.

landlines on April 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Rather than being cool, it sounds artificial, which it is.

BigD on April 29, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Combine that with the historically ignorant references, virtually illiterate allusions, non-sequiturs and shallow bromides that comprise the vast bulk of any of his speeches, and you can see why he’s the perfect liberal candidate.

I think his speeches are written by too-bright-by-half twenty-somethings who, again like typical liberals, have such astonishing hubris that they mistake their puerile, callow points of view for profound insight, and are utterly oblivious to the fact that many people are laughing at them.

If there weren’t such serious issues at stake, the Obama presidency so far would be a hilarious look at what happens when arrogant, uncultured naifs find themselves far, far out of their league.

As far as I can see, the jokes are going to just keep on rolling, because this man-child has absolutely no intention of learning anything — how can he, he knows it all!

mr.blacksheep on April 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Why does Obama have to speak, at all? I’d rather the networks just had TOTUS, than POTUS! Just put TOTUS up and let the speach scroll up! That would give Obama more time to implement socialist/Marxist/Communist programs, but we wouldn’t have to listen to him!

Star20 on April 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Wow, he is so brilliant the Teleprompter can’t even keep up with him.

tomas on April 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM

“Oh, uh, somebody get an EMT IT! Y’know, this happened all the time during my political campaign. I’d be talking too long, and TOTUSes would fall out…”

Christien on April 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Just more proof of how elegant a ‘speaker’ Obama is, as long as his teleprompter works correctly.

GarandFan on April 29, 2009 at 11:20 AM

he’s quick, this one…one day, he’s going to make a name for himself.

kirkill on April 29, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I think his IT department needs to figure out why the Teleprompters keep fainting in his presence.

kirkill on April 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM

The President can’t control his teleprompter or his airplane.

Disturb the Universe on April 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM

That teleprompter had better shape up or somebody might fly a 747 into it.

Yoop on April 29, 2009 at 12:14 PM

milwife88 on April 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Nixon used to say the same thing.

scalleywag on April 29, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Just hope it’s not blurry or there’s a thumb in the way.

rbj on April 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Hey, I hear they have software that can fix that stuff. You might ask some of them technerlojicly inclined people if you could just use it to put the plane and skyline together without all the hubub!

/(do I really need this?)

bikermailman on April 29, 2009 at 12:17 PM

My guess is 10 minutes

LordDaMan on April 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM

That would be GEORGE SOROS typing the message.

dthorny on April 29, 2009 at 12:24 PM

blockquote><I’m waiting until someone hacks the teleprompter. See how far Pres. Obama will will go reading something that’s obviously not correct

My guess is 10 minutes

LordDaMan on April 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM

That would be GEORGE SOROS.

dthorny on April 29, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Obama flubbing with a teleprompter. It’s a gift!

capejasmine on April 29, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I love when Obama hits his imaginary Icebergs!!

Such a great speaker,such articulation,yet,when TOTUS
gets cruel with Obama’s speech,Hopey can’t think quickly,
improvise or ad lib!

Notta,the room goes silent,Obama’s facial features are
apparent,as in Obama is embarrassed,and pissed off with
TOTUS over the screw-up!!!!!!!!!!!

And this is a daily pattern!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on April 29, 2009 at 12:41 PM

No. The machine glitched…pay attention.

RepubChica on April 29, 2009 at 9:07 AM

i understand that, and was wondering of the glitch itself could have been set up just so he could show that its no biggie to rely on a teleprompter. but whatever, i should have known better than to comment at all.

BTW, i’d rather you would just ignore my lowly comments than to respond in a rude way.

surrounded on April 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Maybe we’ll just call these Teleflubbies.

Which one is the gay one?

i … was wondering of the glitch itself could have been set up just so he could show that its no biggie to rely on a teleprompter.

surrounded on April 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I doubt it. President Obama doesn’t strike me as the type of person who can really make fun of himself to that extent.

malclave on April 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM