Culture of Corruption update

posted at 11:32 am on April 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Democrats demonized lobbyists for the last two years on the presidential campaign trail, and won the 2006 midterms by criticizing the “culture of corruption” in the GOP-run Congress.  My, how times have changed.  Look who just got a cushy job as the top lobbyist at the most politically-connected firm on Wall Street:

Goldman Sachs’ new top lobbyist was recently the top staffer to Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., on the House Financial Services Committee chaired by Frank. Michael Paese, a registered lobbyist for the Securities Industries and Financial Markets Association since he left Frank’s committee in September, will join Goldman as director of government affairs, a role held last year by former Tom Daschle intimate, Mark Patterson, now the chief of staff at the Treasury Department. This is not Paese’s first swing through the Wall Street-Congress revolving door: he previously worked at JP Morgan and Mercantile Bankshares, and in between served as senior minority counsel at the Financial Services Committee.

Barack Obama told me that if I voted for John McCain, I’d see a revolving door between Wall Street fat cats and smoke-filled back rooms of the White House and Congress.  What do you know — he was right!

In this case, it really is a revolving door.  We’ve covered the excessive political pull that Goldman Sachs has (and uses), which makes this really, really …. interesting.  Patterson leaves GS to become Tim Geithner’s chief of staff, despite Obama’s promise to keep lobbyists out of the government.  GS reaches out and gets one of Barney Frank’s close advisers to take his place.

Nah.  No “culture of corruption” here.  Looks like business as usual … which was what Obama and the Democrats supposedly ran against.

Comments

The adults are in charge now.

Del Dolemonte on April 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I won.

lorien1973 on April 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Please God,no more of this. Uncle.

JiangxiDad on April 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM

SSDD

gsherin on April 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM

When will my Republican party stand up and address this false prophet we’ve elected?

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM

They are banking on the fact that people are not paying attention, and they aren’t. Pun intended.

ORconservative on April 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Going on a gold\silver standard is looking better every day. Firms like Goldman are usually the first to receive the Feds newly printed money; thus, giving them the first opportunity to do things with this money before the inflationary effects of this money take hold. Politicans will protect firms like goldman since they provide big donations and jobs, and the reverse is true since the politicians will protect these firms special privlidges.

WashJeff on April 29, 2009 at 11:40 AM

The adults are in charge now.

Del Dolemonte on April 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Stop that.

loudmouth883 on April 29, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Doesn’t Barney look hot in this pic?

OkieDoc on April 29, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Let him eat his waffles.

Ferris on April 29, 2009 at 11:40 AM

I want some change. Maybe a little hope? Please?

kirkill on April 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Once Goldman, et. al. stop hiring GOP people. Fat chance of that.

WashJeff on April 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Bawney Fwank should take a few weeks off, then retire.

Akzed on April 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM

In this case, it really is a revolving door.

Are you implying that male lobbyists are routinely invited onto Barney Frank(‘s staff)?

Flyover Country on April 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Change we can believe in. Because, honestly, we saw this coming.

gwelf on April 29, 2009 at 11:43 AM

What did Obama say? What do you think he said? What do you think he meant? Well of course there are exceptions to every rule. Ya gotta use some judgment, ya know?

Skandia Recluse on April 29, 2009 at 11:47 AM

OT:

Anyone catch the story in today’s WaPo about secret WH dinners with members of the MSM? I’m not sure how to make a link but it’s in Howard Kurtz’ column.

Nothing like a little arugula to help shape the WH spin.

We don’t have journalists anymore. We have people reading and printing press releases.

BardMan on April 29, 2009 at 11:47 AM

GOP is too busy looking for ways to catch a ride on Obama’s star to look for ways to stop him.

If O falls in popularity, the tide will turn in a very big way.

Will Swine Flu be his Katrina?

Will the truth come out about the NY AF0 photo op? Publish the manifest?

Will the media stop censoring the truth about Franks, Obama and the housing bubble?

The truth will set us free, but the media will hide the truth until calamity makes it no longer possible to do so!

clnurnberg on April 29, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Once Goldman, et. al. stop hiring GOP people. Fat chance of that.

WashJeff on April 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM

So how long has Barney Frank and his staff been in the GOP?
Why hire GOP when the democrats control the government?
Why do I bother?

Skandia Recluse on April 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Oflyby has a gift, you haters better remember that.

Bishop on April 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM

So how long has Barney Frank and his staff been in the GOP?
Why hire GOP when the democrats control the government?
Why do I bother?

Skandia Recluse on April 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM

The GOP will not attack this since they like to enjoy the same perks.

WashJeff on April 29, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Silly, it’s only corruption when it involves Republicans.

rbj on April 29, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Obama has heard about these lobbyists and is now “furious”.

LibTired on April 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM

The GOP will not attack this since they like to enjoy the same perks.

WashJeff on April 29, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Duh? Huh? What are we doing now? Is this thread not critical of this practice? Are we not the GOP?

Okay, anyone on this thread not in the GOP raise your hand.

Oh, wait, you mean the leadership of the GOP? The RINOs we’re trying to ‘lose’ to the democrats? Well there is always hope.

Skandia Recluse on April 29, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I think Dem greed/corruption is in hyperdrive because they know that they have overreached, and will probably lose their majority in the mid term election next year. Thieves.

Doug on April 29, 2009 at 12:00 PM

The entire Financial Services/Banking Committees have been one giant revolving door for years and years. Competition for jobs with those committees is cutthroat, precisely because you can name your salary when you leave. I just missed one in 1994, to my everlasting detriment.

The Mark Patterson appointment is much more troubling though. I suspect there are dozens of former lobbyists occupying these non-presidential appointed positions. With no confirmation hearings or public tracking, we don’t know who is getting these jobs.

rockmom on April 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Barney Pork Frank is leaving a trail of destruction. His new best male friend Arlen Sphincter just finds him irresistable.

seven on April 29, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I won.
lorien1973 on April 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM

He trumped us all on that!

DamnYankee on April 29, 2009 at 12:04 PM

When incompetence on this level is not accountable, it indicates that a danger to every American exists. The photo-op flyover reflects the total disregard for anyone other than those entitled to do as they feel rather than lead as they were chosen to do. The arrogance and total disregard for the truth reflects a clear and present danger.

volsense on April 29, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Skandia Recluse on April 29, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Any member of the GOP that does not have a core domestic principal (that they adhere to) of a limited federal government. With people like Specter out of the party that do not believe in this principal, it should become easier to critize practices such as this thread’s story since the party’s actions will\should match their criticisms.

WashJeff on April 29, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Will Swine Flu be his Katrina?
clnurnberg on April 29, 2009 at 11:48 AM

No. The Swine Flu is Obama’s first class ticket to shove his socialized health care down our throats in record speed. I really don’t think this flu is any different than any other type flu we see every year and is only being hyped because of Obama’s agenda.

And now our dear leader is back on TV with yet another speech and townhall in Missouri. I’m beginning to feel like I live in a bannana republic, where their dictators flood the airwaves for hours on end with more propaganda.

Yes, I’m in a big funk today. Please forgive me for my ranting. I’m not sleeping well the past couple of months and wake every day wondering “what’s next”?

I’m scared for my family, I’m scared for my country.

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Chief of Staff at the Treasury Department?

What Staff?

Stephen Macklin on April 29, 2009 at 12:11 PM

OT but related: Judicial Watch has filed an ethics complaint against Chris Dodd: http://www.judicialwatch.org/news/2009/apr/judicial-watch-files-senate-ethics-complaint-against-senator-christopher-dodd

I believe that this watchdog group is gathering actionable data against others in the Dem culture of corruption, including Frank.

onlineanalyst on April 29, 2009 at 12:14 PM

The Obamacrats are in charge now and they’re “remaking America” in Obama’s image. We’re all under the bus now as it heads for the cliff.

RandyChandler on April 29, 2009 at 12:14 PM

ORconservative on April 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Concur…. things are happening so fast that the news cycle is being shortened…

Case in point, not a single mention I saw on the news yesterday of the indenping Government takover of GMC, so, there is no opposition to it.

Instead everyone is freaking out about a new flu strain… which has not killed a single American Citizen… when the normal flu kills about 100 Americans DAILY.

Romeo13 on April 29, 2009 at 12:15 PM

The thing is, a vote for Obama was a vote for more of the same.

Congress has been in Democrat hands since 2006.
The Democrats own this economy and the culture of corruption. Too bad the public couldn’t get their minds around this simple fact before we elected the Corrupter-in-Chief.

petunia on April 29, 2009 at 12:16 PM

the top staffer to Rep. Barney Frank

Low hanging fruit indeed!!!!

dmann on April 29, 2009 at 12:24 PM

“Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist.”
– Edmund Burke – (British statesman – 1756)

“Kings will be tyrants from policy, when subjects are rebels from principle.”
– Edmund Burke – (British statesman – 1756)

Speakup on April 29, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Me too:(

Jvette on April 29, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Obama in St.Louis today (As if spending $300,000 on a photo op the other day wasn’t enough) to speak as if he were in campaign mode again.

The crowd wasn’t on their feet or anything, but clearly, they were buying the bullsh!t Obama was throwing out there. *sigh*

Hey Obama…how about you stay off the plane for awhile, and work from your office for a CHANGE!!! We all must make sacrifices. All but you, I assume.

capejasmine on April 29, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Please God,no more of this. Uncle.

JiangxiDad

As much as I believe in the power of prayer, I don’t think God will help us with this one. I truly believe we offended God by electing this rabidly pro-abortion POS. The best we can pray for is strength to act and wisdom to know which action to take.

SKYFOX on April 29, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I won.

lorien1973 on April 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM

More like:

I’m THE-ONE-WON.

Yoop on April 29, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I won.

lorien1973 on April 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Heh, get-a-clue’s last word!

Liberty or Death on April 29, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Doesn’t Barney look hot in this pic?

OkieDoc on April 29, 2009 at 11:40 AM

You mean, as in sweating like the pig he is? Yes, he does.

Sir Corky on April 29, 2009 at 12:45 PM

SKYFOX on April 29, 2009 at 12:34 PM

For ten righteous men, God agreed not to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. We must not falter in crying out to the Lord for deliverance from His just wrath.

Jvette on April 29, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Why can’t it be both???

‘Look how I turned back what would have been the most devastating catastrophe in WORLD HISTORY by socializing Health Care system in the United States!!! Am I not AWESOME!!!’

BigWyo on April 29, 2009 at 12:49 PM

This helps Michelle’s children.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on April 29, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Jvette & Skyfox you’re both correct. I think Romans 1 says it better that we are suffering the consequences of being turned over to darkened minds.

chemman on April 29, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Please! Don’t post any pictures of Barney Frank at least until after Happy Hour!

Star20 on April 29, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Let him eat his waffles.

Ferris on April 29, 2009 at 11:40 AM

I thought he preferred eating sausages???

ScottG on April 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Liars to go hell.

Liars burn in hell.

Liars suffer in hell.

I see a long dismal future for the whole of the left.

And yes. I am being partisan, so don’t bother to point that out.

madmonkphotog on April 29, 2009 at 1:10 PM

As a democrat you can run ‘against’ anything, and it just won’t matter because there is no accountablity for the left leaners.

Griz on April 29, 2009 at 1:11 PM

“Nah. No “culture of corruption” here. Looks like business as usual … which was what Obama and the Democrats supposedly ran against.”

You would think someone would make a cleaver political commercial out of this……………

…………. and start running it day and night.

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2009 at 1:15 PM

you mean this isn’t normal?

Change you can believe in,just dont question our numbers,or my staff,and make sure you mean ol repubs pay my taxes on time.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on April 29, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Oh c’mon. It’s the typical Democratic ” nothing to see here” ploy. For crying out loud Barney Frank had a male prostitution service running out of his house that he knew nothing of, riiiiiight. The media ignores it all because it’s one of ” their ” guy’s. They think the American people are stupid. Oh yeah, I forgot. They are right!

faol on April 29, 2009 at 1:40 PM

After just 100 days in office, Barack Hussein Obama, aka Hussein al-Chicago, has shown he hates America, is leading his Merry Marxist Marching Society in the Biggest Little Whorehouse on the Potomac to wholesale Socialism and kicks dirt in the face of allies.

Barney Frank, one of the two Congesstitutes to kick over the American economy, puts one of his boy-friends at Goldman-Sachs.

Sodom-on-the-Potomac is becoming reality faster than Barney can say ‘I’ll have another tea bag.’

SeniorD on April 29, 2009 at 1:54 PM

ORconservative on April 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM

I’m sure all those independent, hardnosed, nonpartisan members of the journalistic elite will be grilling Obama and co on this relentlessly.

Right?

18-1 on April 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM

The thing is, a vote for Obama was a vote for more of the same.

Congress has been in Democrat hands since 2006.

petunia on April 29, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Well, the media did its job well. I am still shocked to see the exit interviews with Obama voters where they believed that the Reps controlled congress from 2006-8 and that Palin said the stupid stuff Obama and Biden actually said during the campaign.

18-1 on April 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Liars to go hell.

Liars burn in hell.

Liars suffer in hell.

I see a long dismal future for the whole of the left.

And yes. I am being partisan, so don’t bother to point that out.

madmonkphotog on April 29, 2009 at 1:10 PM

We are now in a living hell.
God help us all.

ChicagoBlues on April 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM

According to Merrill Lynch and Gemini Consulting’s “World Wealth Report” for 2007, one third of the wealth of the world’s “high net-worth-ndividuals” – more than US $14. trillion out of US $43.5 trillion – may now be held legally offshore.

That’s $14 TRILLIAN!

Does anyone seriously believe Congressman are selling their souls just for the power and their low 6 digit salaries?

stonemeister on April 29, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Cold civil war is on.

Mason on April 29, 2009 at 3:15 PM

The GOP will not attack this since they like to enjoy the same perks.

WashJeff on April 29, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Okay, anyone on this thread not in the GOP raise your hand.

Skandia Recluse on April 29, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Hand raised. I am not a registered Republican. They’re not conservative enough for me to register as one.

Goldenavatar on April 29, 2009 at 3:48 PM

hey, isn’t Goldman Sachs the company that used to be run by Jon Corzine, Democrat governor of the People’s Republik of New Joizy? And before that, Corzine was a US Senator, having bought his way into both political seats with his Goldman Sachs bonus money. While Obama is the ultimate Manchurian Candidate, Corzine fulfills the same role for Goldman Sachs.

Thank God it looks like Corzine is going to get trounced, pimp-slapped and beaten like a rented mule in the upcoming gubernatorial election in the fall. (snicker)

If any of you here have any money with Goldman Sachs, I’d advise you to withdraw it immediately and invest it with a less political, less corrupt firm.

CatchAll on April 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM

The Untouchables. In your face America!

ronsfi on April 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I’m scared for my family, I’m scared for my country.

Knucklehead on April 29, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Who isn’t? Stock up on canned goods and ammo, and reinforce the door to the basement. It may come to that.

tcn on April 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM

You forget Ed, Obama does it with ‘nuance’, so there’s no corruption.

GarandFan on April 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM

This is not the Goldman Sach’s lobbyist I thought I knew….besides we just found out about this the same time you all did…

Huckabye-Romney on April 29, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Hey folks, it happens on the left and on the right. What is the solution? How about we all ban together and insist on TERM LIMITS!!!

Christian Conservative on April 29, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Do you honestly mean to tell me that you thought the Obamanation would keep any campaign promise? SHEESH!

DannoJyd on April 30, 2009 at 12:45 AM