Where’s Bugs?

posted at 6:15 pm on April 28, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Doo doo doo, lookin’ out my back door …

A bit of a palate cleanser after a long winter and a sluggish start to spring here in Minnesota.  I happened to be looking out the back sliding door at the garden, and I didn’t see the rabbit at first.  It looked so intriguing that I decided to grab my camera and see if I could make it a Where’s Waldo moment:

He was actually hidden a little better before I took the shot, but he’s still a little hard to distinguish.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Dry rubs are good too…when done in a smoker. But I’m lacking the smoker.

OK, I’m really hungry now.

JetBoy on April 28, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I would think that there are some great deals on used smokers on eBay and similar locations. I even saw a classic battleship-iron smoker made by the immortal “Oklahoma Joe’s” listed for sale a while back. If you can find one of those snap it up.

Del Dolemonte on April 28, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I should’ve taken a photo of the one that I found in my front yard when I got home from work today. A quick sneak into the house for the pellet gun and…sleepy wabbit. I didn’t really want to have to do it, but I didn’t drop several $$’s for plants and spend half a Saturday putting them out just for Bugs to have a buffet.

gregbert on April 28, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I’m more of a wing guy.

I simmer em for 15-20 mins

Dry them, light coat of SBR

High heat, burn and caramelize the outside, then put it on the heat rack on the grill on low for 15 mins to tenderize em, then put em in a bowl with tons of sauce

add Fosters and bleu cheese

DIZZANG

blatantblue on April 28, 2009 at 9:24 PM

As much as I’m a rib-aholic, I ain’t turning down wings either! Yeah, with chicken like that, you gotta have a little “burnt” part on the outside…then, you’re right…I grab a big stainless steel bowl filled with sauce, and just mix em up.

Damn, I’m so hungry right now.

Del Dolemonte on April 28, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Yeah, the standard drum-style smokers aren’t TOO expensive, but they ain’t too cheap either. Good idea tho, I’m gonna check eBay and see what’s out there.

JetBoy on April 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM

JetBoy on April 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Made a nice smoker out of a standard tub-type grill, a 55-gallon drum, and stove pipe many years ago.

Stove pipe from the top of the grill to the drum (cut in half, lengthwise) and hinges attached, hooks at the top of the drum to hang meats/game, and a couple round shelves from standard grills for smaller cuts, as needed, and a small vent at the top with an adjustable metal flap.

Total cost…about 30 bucks back then, 1980′s.

Why buy, when it is cheaper to build?

coldwarrior on April 28, 2009 at 10:11 PM

I could shoot that future stew from here.

csdeven on April 28, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Unfortunately he was easy for me to spot, since his comrades in arms are busy devastating anything near my house that doesn’t have chicken wire surrounding it. Forget Waldo, where’s Mr. MacGregor when you need him?

wordsson on April 29, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I like the 55 gl. drum idea! But i need some pink paint that will withstand the heat and some periwinkle decals so I can leave it on the patio. You know; The wife and guests, and all.

Cybergeezer on April 29, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Oh, God; And I’ll have to put a pad lock on the door so nobody tries to hide in it!

Cybergeezer on April 29, 2009 at 9:52 AM

We are overrun by rabbits here in my part of Colorado. They’re literally everywhere I look.

Anyone have a good recipe for Rabbit Stew…?

CliffHanger on April 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

That’s no ordinary rabbit, it’s a killer rabbit…run away…run away!

Liberty or Death on April 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Liberty or Death on April 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Finally…sort of expected that a lot earlier in this thread.

Expected?

No…let’s not go that Python route. :-)

[Ever see a bottle of Chambord liqueur? Can't look at one without thinking of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.]

coldwarrior on April 29, 2009 at 1:41 PM

coldwarrior on April 29, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Heh, your right, I never put the two together! From now on I’ll have the urge to light incense and put on religious garb whenever handling a bottle of Chambord!

Liberty or Death on April 29, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Liberty or Death on April 29, 2009 at 1:48 PM

A couple grad assistants and others and I used to have a ritual at a local campus bar…we’d order a Chambord, and before we drank, we’d recite in unison:

“O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy.”

Anyone non-Pythonesque must have thought we were daft. But, the Believers? They knew.

coldwarrior on April 29, 2009 at 1:58 PM