Videos: The real goal of health-care “reform”

posted at 9:23 am on April 28, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The Obama administration and Congressional Democrats want to pass a $634 billion health-care reform bill that they claim will not crowd out private insurers but will only restructure health-care delivery more rationally. One of its co-sponsors, though, lets the cat out of the bag while drumming up support in Chicago earlier this month. Rep. Jan Schakowsky tells the audience that the bill is a Trojan horse for single-payer, and that she’s not interested in waging a “principled fight”, as Verum Serum discovers:

Readers might say that Schakowsky is just one co-sponsor and not representative of the effort. That might fly, except for another clip that Verum Serum rediscovered featuring Barack Obama telling the AFL-CIO in 2003 what his end goal is for health-care reform:

The socialist website Peoples Weekly World certainly understood Schakowsky’s message:

Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) and co-sponsor of HR-676 answered criticisms from single-payer advocates. She said the public option is not a compromise, but a strategic step toward the single-payer system and the elimination of the private insurance industry.

The private sector is united in opposing any legislation that would expand publicly funded health care over and against the virtual monopoly of insurance companies.

The public option is simply the opening salvo against the private sector, Schakowsky and other speakers said.

Both Schakowsky and McNary stressed the need for solidarity among health care reform activists, in order to build mass support and momentum toward the goal of a single-payer system.

No, the Obama administration is the opening salvo against the private sector. This administration plans socialization on a massive scale over the next few years. No wonder Schakowsky hated the Tea Parties so much; some of us are on to them.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And the R’s will rollover.

It’s coming and it will NEVER be reversed.

It will however, continue to grow wildly.

artist on April 28, 2009 at 9:25 AM

“Nationalization” sounds almost like a good thing – it sounds like it means you can get health care anywhere in the nation.

Let’s call it what it is.

Government-rationed medical care.

Daggett on April 28, 2009 at 9:26 AM

The agenda for healthcare is not that every one recieves care but they can ration what care is provided and who is not worthy of care. If Mexico had american healthcare today, the deaths from this small flu epidemic would be even more minimal.

seven on April 28, 2009 at 9:27 AM

If they nationalize every industry and tax the bejeezus out of the producers…

Why bother showing up at all?

rockbend on April 28, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I heard some b.s. on npr this weekend where some tool was going on and on how wonderful it was to have all your medical records on computer so you can travel and if sick they have immediate access to your medical history. Right. I really want millions of people who I don’t know, to have access to my private information.

Blake on April 28, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Thanks, swing voters. Elections have consequences, and you douches failed to read Obama’s fine print.

BuckeyeSam on April 28, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Add those thousands of people who work for private insurance companies to the rolls of the unemployed.

Just A Grunt on April 28, 2009 at 9:29 AM

I hate to have nationalization, but what and where is the Republican alternative? My premiums are rising from $1400 a month to $1800 a month next month and my deductible went from $1000 per person to $2500 per person. We looked to see if we could find individual coverage for less, but alas, I had a kidney stone 3 years ago and my husband takes Wellbutrin, so coverage denied.

This country cannot afford the healthcare we have become accustomed to. I don’t know the answers, but I am sick of premiums that are getting to the place I can’t afford them and I am tired of insurance companies being able to say no for trivial things.

bopbottle on April 28, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I don’t know…I keep posting links about it. Every nightmare story I read outta the UK and Canada about their pathetic systems. I keep hammering my lib friends about it every chance I get. People are becoming aware. I make the argument that your insurance should not be tied to your employment. It is yours to take w/you wherever you go etc. They seem to think that is a better option than gubmint running it as I remind them what a mess Medicare and Medicaid is and the amt. of fraud is so much higher in those programs than any insurance fraud. Hope so anyway…

JAM on April 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Ugh… that is my Congressperson for you; I pretend that Mark Kirk is my Congressperson instead. But she’ll never be kicked out because the voters in the district includes Evanston, etc.

It’s sort of funny that she is so anti-capitalism now, because her husband definitely wasn’t anti-money when he was defrauding banks.

Illinidiva on April 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM

hopefully the liberals will be the ones who suffer the most…

right4life on April 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Government health care.
It isn’t about health and it sure isn’t about
Care.

Let’s begin with Obama. If he cares, he will stop smoking. Just for his daughters sake.

Nationalizing healthcare is worse than nationalizing welfare. All the people in America without jobs could be served 3 meals a day at mcdonalds and nights at Motel 6 for billions less than the system spends per client.

seven on April 28, 2009 at 9:32 AM

hmmm, interesting to see the “Univision” mike at the podium. Wonder why the Mexicans are so interested in the “every one in, no one out” socialization of US healthcare.

Alden Pyle on April 28, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Blake on April 28, 2009 at 9:29 AM

On the plus side, maybe this will get gays to shut up about not being able to gain access to the medical records of their “partners” when their too stupid to get some minimal estate planning done to appoint a health care proxy.

Beyond that, I can’t wait for the same liberals who whine about FISA intrusions to begin whining about the intrusions into their medical records.

Have at it, Obama fans.

BuckeyeSam on April 28, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I am tired of insurance companies being able to say no for trivial things.

You’re going to get worse with nationalization. They’ll say no to trivial things AND put you on a waiting list for MAJOR issues. And when you get beyond a certain age, you won’t get your MAJOR issues dealt with at all. After all, when health care is rationed, there’s only so much health care to go around, and you’re not going to live much longer anyway.

You’ll pine for the days when you could pay a huge premium and get the care you need.

Daggett on April 28, 2009 at 9:35 AM

This is gonna suck.

BadgerHawk on April 28, 2009 at 9:36 AM

It looks like we’re going to have to overload the Congressional Phone Lines again. With the Democratic Majority going along with the Far Left on this, public outcry is the only way this is going to get defeated.

kingsjester on April 28, 2009 at 9:36 AM

There is a VERY SIMPLE solution to healthcare costs!

GET RID OF MANAGED CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

xler8bmw on April 28, 2009 at 9:36 AM

bopbottle on April 28, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Let’s start, first, with medical malpractice reform, which Obama’s plaintiff’s attorney supporters will strongly resist.

Then, let’s give strong consideration to McCain’s free-market individualization approach. Why, anymore, should healthcare be tied to employment?

BuckeyeSam on April 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Whatever passes (and it will) needs to be 100% owned by the Donkeys. GOP, stay the frak away. Far, far away.

Limerick on April 28, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Obama following the policies that have been shown to have failed elsewhere in the world. I live in Australia, I should know.

The guy’s a genius./sarc

Crux Australis on April 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I love the idea of single payer, as long as it is the person being treated that pays.

TheSitRep on April 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I actually think if we abolished health insurance, except for possibly catastrophic coverage, and people paid cash for services, prices would fall dramatically and most people would then be able to afford their healthcare.

bopbottle on April 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM

The new legislation they already signed has taken a huge chunk of my business. . . which is actually fine with me because it cuts out the amount of taxes I have to pay.

It’s good for people losing their jobs, but the IRS pays for 65% of their health insurance premiums (COBRA) once they lose their jobs. The incentive is there for insurance companies to raise rates because they now know the people won’t look for cheaper insurance through people like me because the government is paying for it.

The insurance companies aren’t evil. They need to be non-profit, but they don’t need to be government institutions. Yeah, when this bill passes, I’ll be out of a job. . . so much for that ‘economic stimulus package’ for me.

All I’ve done is help people find affordable medical insurance all my life. They don’t ask guys like me what I think about it. . . they just want me to shut up and take it.

As usual, what do I know, eh?! even in the industry my family has been dedicated to all my life. Oh well. . . we have cash saved up and property paid for since my folks are conservative as all get out (they have ZERO in the stock market). So I look forward to higher interest rates because when they go to 20% to pay for all this government mess, I’ll take 1 million at 20% and live on 200,000 every year without doing anything. Thank God for Obama. I can’t wait for higher interest rates so I can get a better return on my CASH for doing NOTHING.

I’d rather do nothing than work anyway.

ThackerAgency on April 28, 2009 at 9:41 AM

It is the end of heath care as we know it.

deidre on April 28, 2009 at 9:41 AM

BuckeyeSam on April 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM

And let’s remember, the tie came about due to WWII and industry’s inability to raise wages (due to government diktat), so they offered healthcare instead.

If you are responsible for your healthcare, you are going to be more careful with your health. And shop around for better care at lower prices. It may not be easiest, but life isn’t easy. And I’d rather be in charge of my own life rather than have some government bureaucrat in charge.

rbj on April 28, 2009 at 9:42 AM

If all third party payment was outlawed today, The cost of health care would drop precipitously, and it would be affordable for most everyone.

Insurance is driving the cost way out of whack and the Insurance companies love it because it ups the perceived value of their over priced service.

When people decide how to spend their own money, they make wiser choices.

TheSitRep on April 28, 2009 at 9:44 AM

bopbottle on April 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I don’t disagree. When my hubby lost his job, I shopped around for insurance. We got catastrophic coverage and negotiated rates for doctor visits. Paid out of pocket for scripts and any additional services. We are a healthy family of four and it was very affordable for the year that we had to do it. Our insurance cost/month was about $300. And we put $$ in an HSA. It worked out well.

JAM on April 28, 2009 at 9:44 AM

bopbottle on April 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM

You got that right!

TheSitRep on April 28, 2009 at 9:45 AM

this really sucks.

therightscoop on April 28, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Thank you enlightened voters . . . you brain dead fools have really done it to us this time.

rplat on April 28, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Free healthcare for thee sure is gonna be expensive for ME

Ris4victory on April 28, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Here is an excellent summary of the cause & cure of our health care woes.

jgapinoy on April 28, 2009 at 9:46 AM

America will no longer exist in just a few short months. The Socialist States of America will.

Griz on April 28, 2009 at 9:46 AM

bopbottle on April 28, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Health savings accounts are probably the best option. If everyone had a HSA when they were younger, then they’d be able to build up the account over time and could use it when they got older. It could be coupled with a higher premium insurance to take care of any sorts of major illnesses or accidents. I think that the market for health care is very skewed. People don’t know how much it costs to visit the doctor if they get the sniffles. If they had to manage their own health care, then they might make cost concious decisions.

I also think that the Swiss model of health care might work well. Rather than having a Medicaid system, the poor receive vouchers from the gov’t to purchase insurance from about thirty companies. The only quibbles about that system that I have is the price of basic insurance is fixed and all Swiss are required to purchase insurance.

Illinidiva on April 28, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Government-rationed medical care.

Daggett on April 28, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Don’t forget, what the government runs it can subject to affirmative action distribution.

Wrap your arms around what the Obama policy would be for distributing SWINE FLU vaccinnes should the need arise.

Picture the Obama policy on kidney, heart and lung transplants. “Ok, white male, I know you’ve been waiting for 5 years, and you are next on the donor list, but the quota requires 9 blacks, 5 hispanics, 4 women, and 2 asians receive this treatment before you…soooooorry.

Alden Pyle on April 28, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Once the government gets the pie they can dictate your lifestyle right down to the type of shoes you wear. Ride a bike without a helmet? Baseball? God forbid you rockclimb.
Fall off a ladder that was improperly placed and you didn’t have a Barrymatic safety harness attached to you? Blam, no coverage. They will be able to tell you what is the government requirement for sleep and by gawd you are going to get that sleep or else. Think I go too far?

Limerick on April 28, 2009 at 9:47 AM

How do these people get away with saying “single payer”? We can’t let them control the language. It’s government healthcare, but that argument will be a nuanced one because of this [Trojan Horse] step in between.

It’ll pass.

We’re 55 trillion in the entitlement hole as it stands w/out this boondoggle.

The Texas dream [secession] is looking better all the time.

toliver on April 28, 2009 at 9:47 AM

bopbottle on April 28, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Precisely. At some point, it’s going to have to be rationed somehow. But basic economics and the history of socialism tell us that government rationing opens the floodgates to fraud, corruption and abuse. Market-driven rationing is, on its face, more unyielding in its efficiency, and merciless in its drive to get there, but ultimately results in a superior level of care at any given price-point.

Government rationing is usually brought in with the lure of a higher standard of care to those who can’t or won’t pay the price for the care they want. Those who can pay, can’t get the standard of care they might otherwise choose to purchase. As Canadians say of their health care: we are all entitled to the same shoddy service.

mr.blacksheep on April 28, 2009 at 9:48 AM

My prediction: it will not happen. There will be blood, but this won’t happen in the end.

If it does get off the ground, we will shoot it down eventually. Canada’s begun tentative rollbacks of natl healthcare rules to alleviate suffering.

In the meantime, educate yourself if need be and squawk about it to whoever will listen.

Akzed on April 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Daggett on April 28, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Another diabolical thought from the Nazi mind of Soros. How to deal with entitlements? Easy. Kill off old folks by denying them needed care. But they aren’t going to deny the care outright, no, they are just going to stick you on this waiting list for “free care,” right over here and whoops! Too bad you passed before your number came up. So tragic…

And they claim to be the compassionate party? That’s a laugher…

Nat Hound on April 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Imagine if the DMV operated health care.

Dhuka on April 28, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Ed pretty much nails it.

gh on April 28, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I am so confident in the superiority of a public health care system that he has every reason to be frightened.

Imagine a restaurant–call it “Joe’s Burgers”. How would “Joe” feel if the federal government decided to put a government-subsidized hamburger joint right next to his place? Joe’s tax dollars being spent to make his competitor’s food cheaper. That’s exactly what’s going on with many things the gov’t has it’s tentacles in. Take PBS and NPR. These networks can broadcast with fewer ads because of the tax dollars sent to D.C. by NBC, CBS, Fox and every other network, as well as their stations and all employees. This is inherently unfair. It’s also unConstitutional because of the conflict of interest involved: PBS and NPR were birthed and are supported by liberal politicians, so PBS and NPR propagate liberalism.
The federal government ought to divest itself from many other realms. For example, why do the local Gold’s Gym and LA Fitness pay tax dollars to subsidize the YMCA? Why do employees of private schools pay taxes to support public schools? (Yes, I do want schools privatized).
Will the government heed my advice? No, they’re going the other way: now there’s even a bill in Congress for the government to take over some newspapers!
The founders of this country wrote the Constitution and the Bill of Rights to limit the power of Washington, D.C. They wanted the federal government to maintain the military, build roads, make laws, and very little else. Today, the government does everything under the sun, while the national debt is skyrocketing.

jgapinoy on April 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM

If they nationalize every industry and tax the bejeezus out of the producers…

Why bother showing up at all?

rockbend on April 28, 2009 at 9:27 AM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what the liberal idiots DON’T get….
You cannot squeeze blood from rocks if none exist!!!
What will happen is this…..

Obama rams through socialized medicine,
Obama rams through CRAP & TAX.

Doctors & Surgeons will quit. Just board up the practice
and buy gold. Many, millions of people will lose there
doctors for years. The only alternative will be – there won’t be none.
Obama will be left holding the bag as they will not have any plans
what so ever to deal with this. Doctors will be able to hold out until
Obama is gone and Americans realize what a mistake it was.
In the meantime – people will have to choose between their
prescription drugs or paying an extra $300 per month for electricity.
Many thousands of elderly people will perish in the new socialist society.
Obama’s plan is to kill off the old and abort babies to save on healthcare costs.

Let’s see what America is like for a few years under a socialist dictatorship.
Some states will revolt and will become a haven for producers. Imagine how productive a society could become without Obama care, Obama taxes, Obama CRAP & TAX, and especially Obama IRS???

Imagine throwing of the yoke of the New Deal – No Social Security, No MediCare, No Federal Income Tax. Imagine a socierty re-born in the image of the founders.

izoneguy on April 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I don’t think people understand exactly what insurance does. . . that’s why the government is getting away with this. I have said insurance needs to be ‘non-profit’ but think about it like this.

If you go to the grocery store and buy something, you buy ONE of something and it costs a certain amount. If you go to COSTCO or SAMS club, you buy a million of that something and the price per unit goes down.

Insurance companies can negotiate rates for IMPORTANT procedures down because the facilities and doctors know that the insurance company will pay for a bulk number of services. Insurance companies negotiate on your behalf so that the doctors don’t charge 100 dollars for an aspirin.

When you need open heart surgery, that’s not the time for you to be haggling with the doctor on how much to charge. Fortunately for you, the insurance company has already done that and spread the cost out over large numbers.

It is economy of scale. But competition is important rather than a monopoly. They say ‘insurance companies (plural) have a monopoly, but they don’t see a problem with the government (singular) having a monopoly.

Prices will go up and services will go down in government run health care. Everyone gets taken care of now if they go to the emergency room (even illegals). That cost is picked up by private insurance companies so that the hospitals don’t go bankrupt giving out pro-bono services to people without health insurance.

ThackerAgency on April 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I’m at the midpoint of RN degree, and it looks like I’ll be a government employee. Sigh.

qestout on April 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Nat Hound on April 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Ya know, a lot of boomers are going to get caught in this net. I don’t have a lot of sympathy for them as a group. I know lots of individual boomers whom I love, respect and admire, but as a group, they have laid waste to this country. I am sick of their utopian visions. Be careful what you wish for boomers, you just might end up finally getting it!

JAM on April 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Imagine if the DMV operated health care.

Dhuka on April 28, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Close, but it would be the worst elements of the DMV, the post office, Dept of Social Services, and any other inept state / fed agency combined, deciding who gets what treatment, how much of it and when.

Alden Pyle on April 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM

It would be nice to let these people run amuck with their social experiments their own little Republic of California and leave the rest of us alone as the control group.

moxie_neanderthal on April 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM

The real goal of health-care “reform”…

putting granny on the ice-flow… eskimo health care…

The lawyers just want a chance to have free reign on suing Fedzilla, and collecting all those “John Edwards sized” awards… Why could doctors do stuff for little cost 100 years ago, they didn’t have to worry about being extorted by the trial bar…

The only real health care reform starts with TORT REFORM

phreshone on April 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM

against the virtual monopoly of insurance companies.

Eh?

Count to 10 on April 28, 2009 at 9:55 AM

izoneguy on April 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Wish I’d said that!

Akzed on April 28, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Obama surrounds himself by marxists like Ayers while he is growing up and getting into politics.

Nationalization of Banks…

Nationalization of business’s (like car industry)….

Nationalization of healthcare…..

Bringing massive debt and chaos,which gives the governement
the excuse to take over….

Single party control on all these issues,stifling debate,
let’s see how politico stated it :

Translation: Yes, the president will continue to do obligatory outreach to the GOP, but he’s not going to be burned again by an out-of-power and toothless minority for the sake of appearances.

The Washington climate, which led to a party-line vote on the stimulus, has big political implications: It means that Obama will have sole ownership — whether that means credit or blame — for all the massive changes in government he envisions over the coming year.

1. House Republicans are furniture

Over and over, Nancy Pelosi and her allies privately delivered the same message to Barack Obama: Mr. President, you can have bipartisanship or you can have a stimulus bill, but you can’t have both.

Absolute adoration and support from the communist party:

Communist Party chief: U.S. on road to socialism
Calls Obama ‘friend’ who will redefine government to favor ‘working people’

Posted: December 01, 2008
9:47 pm Eastern

In a major speech focused on Obama, titled “A Springtime of Possibility,” CPUSA leader Sam Webb declared the U.S. is now “on the road to socialism.”

Obama was called a marxist/socialist by many Republicans from the very beginning of his election cycle.

We were called “racist” and “right wing extremist” for daring to call out Mr. “Hope and Change”.

Look in the mirror liberal,now who is the extremist?

Baxter Greene on April 28, 2009 at 9:55 AM

izoneguy on April 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I’m in. Texas may be calling.

Alden Pyle on April 28, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Griz on April 28, 2009 at 9:46 AM

The USSA is the change that Obama believes in.

Daggett on April 28, 2009 at 9:56 AM

bopbottle on April 28, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Are you asking where’s the Republican plan so that you can get someone to subsidize your medical care. There is no such plan, and never will be.

There have been many Republican plans to lower the cost of medical care, but they have all been shot down by the Democrats.

The Democrats have no intention of allowing this problem to be solved in any manner that doesn’t include a govt takeover.

MarkTheGreat on April 28, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Elections have consequences. In this case – we lost our Democracy.

HondaV65 on April 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM

bopbottle on April 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Yes, but in addition, you would have to force the AMA to allow doctors to compete on price. Currently, doctors cannot advertise price, except in cosmetic surgery, which is not covered by insurance. Strangely, cosmetic surgery prices have fallen in real terms over the years, while non-priced (insured) medical care cost has gone up faster than inflation in every year.

Vashta.Nerada on April 28, 2009 at 9:59 AM

BuckeyeSam on April 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Let’s not forget govt mandates that insurance companies must cover everything under the sun, including all kinds of “non-traditional” treatments.

Then there is also the govt law that forbids you to shop around between states in order to buy health insurance.

MarkTheGreat on April 28, 2009 at 9:59 AM

qestout on April 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM

If this plan is anything like the Hillary Care plan from the 90′s, you will be assigned a duty station, much as if you were in the military.

You’re a nurse and you live in Florida? Sorry, we have a need for nurses in Detroit so off you go; refusal means you don’t work as a nurse. Have a nice day.

Bishop on April 28, 2009 at 10:00 AM

And the R’s will rollover.

It’s coming and it will NEVER be reversed.

It will however, continue to grow wildly.

artist on April 28, 2009 at 9:25 AM

And this is the reason that ALL those that want to get their Country back must make it absolutely clear to the RNC and candidates that want to run as (R), that their campaign life-blood(MONEY) will be withheld until they are committed to undo this little stroll to the left that this DemCong and Pretender-in-Charge are taking.

Monetary support has more power than ideas and words.

belad on April 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Hey, now that the government owns GM, if they nationalize health care, do we get a free car with that?

AmericanUnderground on April 28, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Government health care.
It isn’t about health and it sure isn’t about
Care.

It’s about control.

The EU is the model….elites at the top in Brussels and the sheeple in their pathetic government “jobs,” bribed with 4 week vacations in August spent smoking cigarettes and hating Jews.

ex-Democrat on April 28, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Griz on April 28, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Well then, I guess like-minded people will have to work to take it back.

I hope that a coalition of states decides to resist the federal government and refuses to implement the coming disasters such as NHC, call their bluff and see how far Oflyby is willing to take it.

Bishop on April 28, 2009 at 10:03 AM

I still think that Health care reform is the is main piece of legislation that the Obama administration is going to put its full weight behind. Other hot button items like Gun control, immigration reform and cap and trade will be used as bargaining chips to ensure that the Health care reform bill passes unmolested. Obama wants universal health care to be the legacy of his Presidency, hence the reason why his administration and Democrats on the hill are pushing HR-676 so hard and so early in his administration even threatening to use the nuclear option to make sure it passes.

Dreadnought223 on April 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I agree with this because the insurance companies basically write every piece of legislation that congress passes on health care. Insurance companies are brilliant, and they have a ton of cash.

The medicare bill was a boon for insurance companies. I was excited about it until I saw the result was an increase in COST to the system when the RX companies raised their prices overnight due to the new insurance for seniors.

The only problem is that people who are sick can’t get insurance. States have been addressing that with risk pool programs and the one in NC is fantastic.

I pay 200 bucks a month for health insurance and I have more coverage than I need. It is high, but not outrageous because I know a hospitalization could be 25,000 easy for an appendix.

Insurance companies are going to write a bill that will benefit them. If insurance companies are going to lose money, there won’t be a bill. It is 20% of the economy. That much money isn’t going to be given up without a fight. . . and it’ll be bloody.

They’ll eventually force people to buy an insurance plan like auto insurance. . . but insurance companies will benefit. . . or nothing will happen.

ThackerAgency on April 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM

JAM on April 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Sigh. I’m a boomer. So is Barack Obama. So is George W. Bush. And General David Petraeus.

If I knew what generation you are, I’m sure I could tell you what I dislike about people of that ‘group’.

ProfessorMiao on April 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM

JAM on April 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM

This is an article I wrote for mondernconservative.com stating EXACTLY that about the elderly!

Obama’s War Against The Elderly

Ok, I am now convinced Obama is the Messiah and he is the second coming of Christ. Christ could heal the lepers, walk on water and turn water into wine. Our new Messiah, it seems, is no less powerful. He has the power to say who gets a home, a job, who lives and who dies. Obama has expanded his reach and has now waged war against the elderly in our Country with his deceptively named stimulus (spending) plan to save Americans that can’t save themselves.

His plan has all of the makings of a classic Hollywood horror movie complete with an introduction of its characters, a plot and an ending. In this case, the horror movie is Obama’s creation of our very own socialist healthcare program. Truly horrifying!

Let’s meet the cast. First, we have the new healthcare czar and the 21st century Information Technology communication. Regardless of how one feels about the plan to computerize our healthcare communications, a shiver should go up every spine. When the federal government says they will pay for this technology out of our taxes, one has to wonder about the real motivation. The government never pays for anything unless they have a stake in the process.

We’ve met the lead in this movie, now on to the plot. We now have our HAL 2001 and the federal government has invested (with our money) the communications they need to implement the long arm of the government into our personal medical files. Why? Because now the federal government will be paying for our healthcare (out of our money) and as Obama said in his first press conference “There’s No Such Thing as a Free Lunch”. He campaigned on the assurance that ANYONE that already has insurance wouldn’t be affected and yet that is most assuredly not what the bill says.

Our new healthcare czar’s job will be to determine who lives and who dies all on our own dime. Let’s look at two patients, patient A (70 years old) and patient B (45 years old) go into the hospital for bypass surgery. Our new czar will determine by age and cost which has more efficacy. HHHHMMMM, I believe patient B has won this by a furlong.

Are you covering your eyes yet????

We arrive at the ending of our bad horror movie. Obama and his followers have decided that it is not efficient to provide care for patient A because of the cost and life expectancy. Per Sen. John Fleming (R) LA, the new legislation in this fear mongering stimulus (spending) bill states “At what point IN LIFE they receive certain treatments and what is acceptable and not acceptable for payment”. This is decided by our healthcare czar from our medical records, records the federal government now controls.

The moral of the horror movie: Our government has taken on the sheen of very injustices our Founding Fathers fought to destroy. We have laws that have been enacted under our constitution to prevent this from happening. The 1st, 4th, and 5th amendments are for the rights of privacy which will be grossly destroyed by allowing the federal government to have access to our medical records. Under the 14th amendment, we have the 1964 Civil Rights Act that provides us as a people that “NO state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of the citizens of the United States [or] deprive ANY person of LIFE, LIBERTY or PROPERTY without due process [or] deny to any person within it’s jurisdiction the ‘Equal Protection’ of the laws.” And yet it seems that this new bill to commit genocide against our elderly by deciding who lives and who dies. Discrimination starts when you don’t abide by the very principles of our Civil Rights to prevent discrimination based on a person’s Race, Sex, Religion, Age, Previous Conditions of Servitude, Physical Limitation and National Origin.

This is a complete violation of everything America stands for and the Human Rights we seek to protect around the world.

One must ask, what powers under our constitutional branches provide Obama and his followers to decide this when it goes against every principle of our nation? Could this be foreshadowing to the ultimate horror movie ending and a tactic to lower our Social Security benefits by killing off our elderly? If you’re elderly or have elderly parents you may want to STOP and think a moment about the implications of this legislation, that was slipped into the stimulus bill under the cover of darkness by the very people we elect to protect us! Scary indeed!

xler8bmw on April 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Lets declare ourselves 320 million congresspersons. We can all go to Bethesda and get outstanding health care for FREE! s/

Bevan on April 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Elections have consequences. In this case – we lost our Democracy.

HondaV65 on April 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Notwithstanding that we’re a constitutional republic, but November 4th, 2008 was selection, not election.

The future is worse….may not even be worth showing up to the polls.

ex-Democrat on April 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM

For those who are complaining about their health care costs …

What I’d like to remind you of is the fact that Nationalization of healthcare DOES NOT MAKE IT FREE.

If you’re for Nationalized Healthcare – what you’re really saying is that you want someone else to pay for your healthcare – because that is exactly what happens. Let see …

Social Security: Someone else pays for your retirement.
Medicare: Someone else pays for your nursing home.
Prescription Drug Plan: Someone else pays for your drugs.

I’m so sick and tired of Baby Boomers complaining about their healthcare, and Social Security and Medicare – and how younger people ought to be paying it for them. Wake up people – we will soon have less than 2 working taxpayers supporting every single, whining baby boomer that retires. Additionally – we’ve just saddled those youngsters with a whopping debt. Wake up and smell the roses and realize that we can’t pay for all this stuff.

What’s the answer? Well if we’d JUST STICK TO THE BASICS in government – and get rid of stuff like stem cell research, alternative energy subsidies, oil subsidies, foreign aid to countries that hate us. If we’d stop spending money on illegal alien welfare and DEPORT them – then we might be able to give all the baby boomers the support they’d like in their retirement.

But that’s not going to happen unless you start voting correctly.

HondaV65 on April 28, 2009 at 10:08 AM

The future is worse….may not even be worth showing up to the polls.

ex-Democrat on April 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I get your point … and concurr.

HondaV65 on April 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Saying that insurance companies have a monopoly on providing insurance is no different than saying that grocery stores have a monopoly on providing groceries. Or that automobile makers have a monopoly on providing automobiles.

It the result of either a very lazy/stupid mind, or the result of somebody trying to lie to you.

Obviously, if a new company entered the market and started offering insurance, then it would be classified as “an insurance company”, and hence, we would still have a case where 100% of insurance is being provided by insurance companies.

A monopoly only arises when one company completely owns a market, and that can only happen when govt gets involved.

MarkTheGreat on April 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Once this thing is in. It will be impossible to get rid of, much like social security. People will be dependent on it and will vote accordingly. If it gets in we will hear the Dems claiming for the rest of our lifetimes “The Republicans want to take away your health care”

You have to give the Libs credit for one thing. They are all working together has hard as they can to turn the US into a Marxist state. What are the Republicans doing? It would appear they are trying to give us Marxism lite.

They are entrenched at every level of government, at the local school board, at the college level, and at every government agency. This isn’t about Health care, it’s about creating a Marxist State.

Kjeil on April 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM

There is a VERY SIMPLE solution to healthcare costs!

No, there isn’t. Health care costs are high for a lot of reasons:
1) Health insurance is typically paid by employers, which makes employees think it doesn’t cost them anything, so they have no incentive to control costs and every incentive to maximize perceived benefit.
2) Health care providers are subject to malpractice suits that often result in emotional manipulators like John Edwards persuading juries to award insane judgements against practitioners. This in turn incentivizes malpractice insurers to settle the claims rather than rolling the dice on what a jury might do, and pass the cost along to their customers in the form of higher malpractice premiums. Those premiums are then factored into the business plan of the practitioners, and reflected in higher prices for medical care.
3) State licensing rules require a person to have a permission slip from the state government to render certain kinds of care. These laws are defended as necessary to assure quality care, but there is no denying that the economic effect of any law that limits the pool of suppliers of a service is to increase the cost of that service. In many states, doctor unions fight loosening the rules to allow nurse-practitioners to handle work that currently requires an M.D.
4) The FDA approval process for new drugs, equipment, and techniques is costly, and deprives patients of the right to choose a risky course of treatment even when it is rational to accept the chance the treatment will have negative side-effects (because doing nothing will certainly be fatal).

The simplest way to solve these problems is to change the licensure requirements to “certification”; allow people who have not been certified (by whatever body) to provide health care services, but not to represent themselves as having been certified. They may be required to have their patients sign a statement that they understand the provider is not certified, and accept the risks of using his services. The same would apply to the drugs, procedures, and equipment not approved by FDA. Any practitioner should be able to offer that choice to his patients, again provided the patient understands it is not FDA-approved.

The malpractice verdicts are a bigger problem. Fixing them will require changes to the civil courts that have to be carefully tuned so as not to deprive legitimately-harmed plaintiffs of their day in court. The problem is the scientific ignorance of the juries, and I don’t see an easy way to solve that without fundamental changes in how juries are formed, which might require a constitutional amendment.

The Monster on April 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

qestout on April 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM

My husband is a semester away from an ADN. His name’s Stout too…….HEY, are we married or something?

Sekhmet on April 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

And don’t overlook the opportunity they will take to exclude people from services based on certain issues. If you refuse services offered because they do not seem like the right choice for you or your family, you may forfeit future services. What about families who choose not to have children inoculated, will they give up access to health care?If you have admitted to owning a gun you might be excluded based on elevated risk factors. This will not infringe on Gays who continue to engage in unsafe sexual practices though. Nor will it limit birth rates among the illegals who will most certainly flock to the system. No my friend, only the Right Wing Radicals will find limited access to the destroyed health care system.

Health care is the most insidious plan they have for screaming this country to the left, and taking away our individual rights. It will become the Big Brother’s favorite tool. This is truly a dark day.

Fight it, fight it, and then fight it some more!!!!!

InTheBellyoftheBeast on April 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

I’m a baby boomer, and I’ve never voted Democrat in my life. I’m just as upset about this as any of you who are younger.

Obama and the Dems have destroyed every dream my husband and I had for retirement and spending a few years together doing what we wanted to do.

Instead, I’m stuck in California, in a tiny house that costs a fortune, and with zero chance of escape.

Elections have consequences. Thanks a lot to the people who sat out and let this guy win, just to teach the other party a lesson. I hated McCain but I still voted for him, because I was terrified of the alternative. Now I have to live with it.

hachiban on April 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Elections have consequences. In this case – we lost our Democracy.

HondaV65 on April 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Ben Franklin was asked after the Constitutional Convention what they had created.

His response (approximate):

“A republic, if you can keep it.”

We couldn’t.

MarkTheGreat on April 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Are there statistics to show that boomers voted disproportionately for Obama compared to other age groups?

ProfessorMiao on April 28, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Bishop on April 28, 2009 at 10:00 AM

When they instituted their govt health care in Denmark, they actually tried to forcibly induct all doctors and nurses into the military in order to get better control over them.

MarkTheGreat on April 28, 2009 at 10:19 AM

ProfessorMiao on April 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Sorry Professor, but the boomers are going to strain the system like no other generation b4 and it is precisely their hubris that has created the unsustainable system. As I said, there are plenty of boomers I love, but as a group, unfortunately boomers are defined by the Nancy Pelosi’s, Obama’s and Reid’s in their midst. I hope enough boomers wake up and resist that legacy. It could happen.

JAM on April 28, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Bishop on April 28, 2009 at 10:00 AM

That just reminded me it’s garbage day. Thanks!

qestout on April 28, 2009 at 10:20 AM

health-care “reform”

Or, health-care “rationing”

You be the judge.

{shudder}

Lawrence on April 28, 2009 at 10:20 AM

seven on April 28, 2009 at 9:27 AM

yep.

Add to this new “ENHANCED drivers licenses” with RFD chips, synched to types in Mexico and Canada (for border security, of course.) As well as all medical records now online.

This is a nightmare. Both sides created it, bit by bit. Our kids will suffer…and not just from bad care…from Fascism. This is the end game…and I am not conspiracy nut.

Mommypundit on April 28, 2009 at 10:20 AM

…and I am not a conspiracy nut.

Mommypundit on April 28, 2009 at 10:20 AM

fixed

Mommypundit on April 28, 2009 at 10:21 AM

The Monster on April 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Your points are valid as well. But, it is simple and many politicians agree get rid of Managed Care! Kaisergate was the start of this problem.

I suggest you read up on it first.

xler8bmw on April 28, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I feel like I’m living in the twilight zone.

CNN boosts about Obamadrama being the President made of teflon — that he can do anything and people will love and adore him anyway.

How can it be that 70% of people are lining up to blow this guy and not like his policies? Are Americans just stupid or what? Why are they so smitten with this socialist? How can the majority of people be against socialism in this country, yet they can’t wait to give this guy some oral. It makes no sense! Please, someone explain it to me!

Republigal on April 28, 2009 at 10:21 AM

oops, meant “boasts”

Republigal on April 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

That just reminded me it’s garbage day. Thanks!

qestout on April 28, 2009 at 10:20 AM

It’s going to be garbage day every day for the next 4 years (minus 100 seemingly interminable days).

Unless, of course, we can elect enough right-thinking people next year. Are there any who will be running?

mr.blacksheep on April 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM

I can just imagine the buzz within the Medical Profession. I was working in a hospital when Hillary proposed her garbage plan. The American people had better let their voice be heard, like they did with the Veterans’ Health Care proposal.

kingsjester on April 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Ever hear of an automobile insurance policy that covers oil changes?

Yet we want health insurance to cover routine doctor visits.

MarkTheGreat on April 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Kjeil on April 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM

exactly, and this has been touted as the nail in our coffin for some time.

My stupid grandfather (and I mean that lovingly) imbibes on CNN and every time that an election comes along, he gets sucked into the same crap liberal line, “the republicans want to take away social security. Or medicare. ” Utter disgusting crap on all levels. I’ve stopped talking to him about it. He wants his money, even though he was a millionaire in his own right.

Mommypundit on April 28, 2009 at 10:24 AM

xler8bmw on April 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Excellent! And so true…be careful what you wish for…I feel for the elderly and the boomers. They are going to get waylaid by this piece of crap system. I just hope they know it and will do something to stop it!

JAM on April 28, 2009 at 10:24 AM

against the virtual monopoly of insurance companies.
Eh?

Count to 10 on April 28, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I caught that too. Typical “scare” catch-phrase. Insurance companies in the insurance business, imagine that.

Jeff on April 28, 2009 at 10:27 AM

oops, meant “boasts”

Republigal on April 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Unfortunately “boosts” works just as well.

MarkTheGreat on April 28, 2009 at 10:27 AM