Quotes of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on April 28, 2009 by Allahpundit

“The Specter defection is too severe a catastrophe to qualify as a ‘wake-up call.’ His defection is the thing we needed the wake-up call to warn us against! For a long time, the loudest and most powerful voices in the conservative world have told us that people like Specter aren’t real Republicans – that they don’t belong in the party. Now he’s gone, and with him the last Republican leverage within any of the elected branches of government…

Let’s take this moment to nail some colors to the mast. I submit it is better for conservatives to have 60% sway within a majority party than to have 100% control of a minority party. And until and unless there is an honored place made in the Republican party for people who think like Arlen Specter, we will remain a minority party.”

***
“I would rather have 30 Republicans in the Senate who really believe in principles of limited government, free markets, free people, than to have 60 that don’t have a set of beliefs.”

***
“But before Specter’s defection is automatically written up as a new chapter in Profiles in Courage, there is reason to question whether the braver, better course of action would have been to stick out another primary fight as a Republican. Specter had the support of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, which understood that his primary victory was the GOP’s best hope of holding on to the seat. Independent voters appreciate Madison’s vision of checks and balances—that’s why they so often split their tickets, especially in states like Pennsylvania. But the aim of checks and balances—so vociferously defended by Democrats when Republicans tried to invoke the so-called ‘nuclear option’ over judicial confirmations in 2005, and salvaged by the centrist Gang of 14, including Specter—is now under threat from the left. Don’t expect many Democratic warnings of the same dangers. In Washington, where you stand is a matter of where you sit. Partisanship trumps principle.”

***
July 22, 2008:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’ve always imagined Pelosi as a feral cat. Now Bawney may be game.

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Watch your mouth. Pelosi is a royalist rat.

FeralCat on April 29, 2009 at 1:05 AM

MB4: Your not doing it right! First,gather up some of
Palimino Pelosi dna,then insert!!:)ahem!

canopfor on April 29, 2009 at 12:57 AM

I’ve always imagined Pelosi as a feral cat. Now Bawney may be game.

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Heh!!
I think this beats anything jon stewart has to offer.

I’m hungry now,thinking of eating ham and cheese sandwich with lots of mayo.n.n.a..i…s..maybe eat chicken instead.

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Watch your mouth. Pelosi is a royalist rat.

FeralCat on April 29, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Sorry FC

Mangy Mutt just doesn’t sound Pelosiesque.

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:08 AM

Heh!!
I think this beats anything jon stewart has to offer.

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Eh, Stewart lost me a long time ago. He beats the same joke to death over and over.

He could learn a thing or two from SP – at least they make fun of everyone.

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:10 AM

Maybe they fear that The One would cut off the only supply they seem to have of testosterone – injections.

MB4 on April 29, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Dear Lord! Please keep those injections away from David Frum.

Or, we’re going to have Deral Vats and Frumalinos.

Loxodonta on April 29, 2009 at 1:11 AM

Dear Allahpundint;

If you wish to include left-wing “Republicans” like David Frum in your quotes of the day, at least include ones that make some sense.

This guy brings nothing, nothing, to the debate about the Republicans future. All he is is a Washington insider who hates Conservative values almost as much as he hates your boss.

Quoting him does nothing to further the discourse in any meaningful sense. It’s like quoting Charles Barkely on what he thinks is the future of the Republican Party .

Joe Pyne on April 29, 2009 at 1:12 AM

MB4 on April 29, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Second thought – Were you suggesting they are getting their injections from Obama himself, personally? If so, do you have any evidence that Obama has any testosterone to inject? And furthermore, yuck!

Loxodonta on April 29, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:10 AM

I’m no fan of the useful idiot,I was just stating that this material is superior to his.

Or, we’re going to have Deral Vats and Frumalinos.

liberals can’t touch that,it’s gold.

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM

We have a federal system for good reasons. And I would rather have two “moderate” Republicans from Maine, than two liberal Democrats. And given the same choice from any number of states, I would prefer slowing our country’s dangerous move to the left with moderates, than sitting it out on the right sidelines while watching our country burn to the ground.

Loxodonta on April 29, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Not much can be done with Maine, so you’re certainly right about the choices there. I wonder if a long-term strategy might prove it was better to develop enough conservative strength to put a couple of Republican senators in place from other states, and let the Democrats have Maine, instead of giving the Democrats two reliable votes in elephant costumes they can add to their circus parade. I’m not enough of a political strategist to figure it out.

The current talk about “political realignments” and “permanent majorities” shouldn’t spook us away from remembering that electoral-map statistical analysis doesn’t capture the chaos effect from millions of individual voters. Individuals don’t creep from Republican to Democrat, or vice versa, with glacial speed, turning slowly blue or red with the passing years. They can change their minds very quickly, especially the most disengaged of the “swing” voters, who barely know anything the candidates stand for… the people who are likely to vote for, or against, Obama in 2012 because he’s black, or Palin because she’s pretty. A lot of those people stumble into the voting booth based on charisma, which Obama unquestionably had, and McCain did not. Other independents of a more thoughtful nature will find it increasingly hard to remain “independent,” as the definition of a “conservative” becomes “someone who doesn’t think a political operative should be authorized to deny him a kidney transplant.” There’s no unbreakable law of politics that says 80% of the electorate couldn’t vote for Obama’s opponent in 2012 (or 110% could vote for Obama!) Entire states can flip from blue to red if a few hundred thousand people in key districts change their minds.

The electorate was weary in 2008, so tired of being hammered over Bush’s every word and deed that they rolled one lazy eye over McCain, saw nothing to inspire them to fight the tide, and let the media push them into Obama’s arms. I think “weary” will not be the adjective to describe them in 2012. In an energized environment, the “moderate” cachet can wear pretty thin. We all know Obama will have a solid base of dependents and fellow travelers ready to vote for him, even if he dumps the waste tanks over Manhattan on his next thousand-foot flyover. The rest of the country might be ready to hear about alternatives to what he’s doing to them, but it will hard to articulate those alternatives clearly, if too many Republicans are hiding under a blue blanket and praying the media keeps calling them “moderate.”

Doctor Zero on April 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM

No, I didn’t think you were. Just curious… are his ratings holding strong? I can’t imagine an audience laughing at the same crap for this long…

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:17 AM

He could learn a thing or two from SP – at least they make fun of everyone.

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:10 AM

I get a kick out of the ONION.

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Joe Pyne on April 29, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Frankly I am beginning to wonder about AllahP myself. I had come to the conclusion that with all his Meagan McFat posts he wanted to get his hands on her big arse and her Big $$$, but now with all the David Frum (who?) posts, I am beginning to think that although he does probably want to get his hands on some of Meagan McFat’s Big $$$, it may be David Frum’s arse that he wants to get his hands on.

MB4 on April 29, 2009 at 1:20 AM

I get a kick out of the ONION.

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Yeah! Now, they have some funny stuff – for everyone. I wish there were more posts from the Onion.

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Well considering it’s one of the liberals leading sources for news,his ratings are probably the same,I don’t follow him so I can’t say with any certainty.

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:21 AM

it may be David Frum’s arse that he wants to get his hands on.

MB4 on April 29, 2009 at 1:20 AM

While MegMac twitters about it…

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Ah… true. Must be cutting into CNN’s ratings /s

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Doctor Zero on April 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Where the hell is your blog?

Re: Stumbling…..two Obamabots at work stumbled into the booth after not voting for 35 years, and yes the reason was all the ‘free’ and ‘about-damn-time’ stuff they were going to get.

Back to Spincter, the man was destined to move over. That has been obvious for a couple of years. I am one who is glad the SOB is gone, super-majority or not. If the Dems want to run on their record in 2012 the White House is going to be a very glum place to be. By 2012 the city folks will realize that they still don’t have a 5,000 sq foot home under the Holiday Tree.

Limerick on April 29, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Second that.
ONION is one to the few outlets that bring it on a consistent basis.

Not like SNL or Comedy Channel that have something funny every once in awhile by accident.

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Ah… true. Must be cutting into CNN’s ratings /s

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:22 AM

CNN is still registering ratings?
Oh that’s right,they have Sanchez.

Nothing like getting ethical investigative reporting from a Ted Kennedy wannabe.

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:28 AM

CNN is still registering ratings?
Oh that’s right,they have Sanchez.

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:28 AM

Hey, you “forgot” Anderson Cooper. He gives his million dollar smirk every, oh, 5 minutes. Real reporter! I just feel bad that the Scientologist, straight, Van Susteren takes most of his viewers – without swimming in New Orleans’ sewers.

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Well I know that you don’t want to bend over in the shower. I know that much.

MB4 on April 29, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Is that with Frum or Bawney in the same shower room?

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Is that with Frum or Bawney in the same shower room?

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM

On second thought better just close your eyes and run like hell!

MB4 on April 29, 2009 at 1:33 AM

OK, I’m beat. Good luck and RIP Specter the Conservative *snicker*

Keep your eyes peeled for FrummingitCAstyle… /s

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Doctor Zero on April 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM

I’m not a strategist regarding anything, let alone politics. However, I don’t see the benefits of demanding ideological purity in politics. I have difficulty imagining an election in the foreseeable future that would go more than 60-40, one way or the other. Therefore, conservatives will need moderates, even if this means tearing our hair out now and then.

I’m a better half a loaf than none type of person. So, what does that make me? If I am willing to compromise, am I really a conservative? I think so, and I think my posts here would demonstrate that, but I suppose some who post at Hot Air would not consider me conservative. Anyone is invited to color code me, if you wish.

Returning to a previous post of yours regarding reversing our country’s rush to the left:

It will take a great deal of willpower, leadership, and creative energy to reverse this trend.

Another way this may be reversed is by a catastrophe, and I fear we are nearing one. Should its economic impact be severe, it may be much easier for Americans, regardless of ideological views, to accept a greatly reduced and more decentralized national government, simply because we will not be able to afford it.

Loxodonta on April 29, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Is that with Frum or Bawney in the same shower room?

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Is there a difference?

heshtesh on April 29, 2009 at 1:40 AM

Upstater85 on April 29, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Van Susteren swims major IQ circles around Mr. wannabe Calvin Klein and his crack investigative reports on Tofu in a modern society.

I still remember Greta kicking a$$ during the OJ trial.
Cnn can’t compete with a competent woman who deals in reality using facts as her guide.

Cnn is just like MSNBC,
it’s all about kissing Obama’s a$$.

Baxter Greene on April 29, 2009 at 1:40 AM

Loxodonta on April 29, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Myself, I draw the line at those like Frum and Specter and McCain and Graham who seem to want to make the Republican party little more than a cheap knockoff of the democrats.

MB4 on April 29, 2009 at 1:41 AM

MB4 on April 29, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Well, I voted for McCain, so…

Loxodonta on April 29, 2009 at 1:56 AM

It is about time that our “Political Class”, when faced with the reality of their situation, and change sides for personal benefit instead of holding stead fast and fighting the fight for those who campaigned, contributed, and voted for them…………….

………….. reap the rewards of their decision.

Have fun with this week Mrs. Specter………..

……….. I don’t think 2009 is going to turn out like you were told at a cocktail party at the White House.

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2009 at 2:02 AM

The liberals that hang out here really do show, in every post, how out of their depth they are. They lot of them, Grow Fins, Starfleet Dude, and others, show a profound lack of perception and understanding of history.

Politics are cyclical. The cycle is currently in your favor, but you are fools if you believe you’ve gained some kind of super status that can never be assailed. Your leaders keep up their arrogance and their massive deficit spending, you will see the favor will change and the GOP will gain power again. Then the same thing will happen with the GOP. I’ts simple history, something that you light weight liberals seem incapable of learning from.

ManInBlack on April 29, 2009 at 2:13 AM

What is one Specter more or less, really? Your great-grandparents set you on the course to disaster at the start of the twentieth century, and you’ve gradually abandoned the federal regime ever since then. Specter is just one of the accidents that are bound to happen on the road to ruin.

Kralizec on April 29, 2009 at 2:37 AM

Goodnight to all, and to all a good night.

Peace be with you.

Yes. Even with you.

Loxodonta on April 29, 2009 at 2:39 AM

a video everyone needs to see on the swine flu:

unseen on April 29, 2009 at 2:58 AM

Well, the man had brain cancer like Ted Kennedy.

Cheers Arlen, I hope you choke.

Kini on April 29, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Well, the man had brain cancer like Ted Kennedy.

Cheers Arlen, I hope you choke.

Kini on April 29, 2009 at 3:07 AM

I thought he had lukemia.

unseen on April 29, 2009 at 3:10 AM

I thought he had lukemia.

unseen on April 29, 2009 at 3:10 AM

He should have been aborted.

Then he would a real member of the party of death.

A democrat.

Kini on April 29, 2009 at 3:39 AM

He was never a Republican.

Just self preservation.

A coward, nothing mote.

Term Limits, term limits.

Kini on April 29, 2009 at 4:05 AM

I want true conservationism, Challenged!!!

Kini on April 29, 2009 at 4:09 AM

you do know he switched from a dem to a rep at first right? Now in his life he has come full circle. A twice turncoat. Great man. /scar

unseen on April 29, 2009 at 4:13 AM

Arlen ditched his pals to sit at the cool kids’ table, and now he’s standing there with his tray as they mock his outfit.

Jim Treacher on April 29, 2009 at 4:31 AM

Does this really change anything other than clarifying his position? He’d likely have voted pretty much the same way as a Republican as he would now as a Democrat.

{^_^}

herself on April 29, 2009 at 4:42 AM

Actually, for as much as the liberal boobs think they got a gold token here, what they really got is complete ownership of every friggin disaster that’s going to pass in the next 3.5 years.

Have at it turds.

Spiritk9 on April 29, 2009 at 4:48 AM

Frum thinks Republicans should be fiscally liberal like Specter now. I’d say he jumped the shark, but I don’t think he really ever strapped on the skis.

Buddahpundit on April 29, 2009 at 5:32 AM

I just saw on the news that Sen. Specter was originally a Dem, switched in 1966 to Republican now back again. The thought process in that time line would be interesting.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2009 at 6:23 AM

HEY HAWKDRIVER!!!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2009 at 6:24 AM

I guess we can assume amnesty will rear its ugly head before too long, then.

ErinF on April 29, 2009 at 6:35 AM

I have one note of hope:

At a time when the Washington establishment was the target of widespread public disgust — with the Vietnam war, Watergate and the Nixon resignation — Carter’s campaign emphasized that he was an “outsider” and that strategy helped him edge out Gerald Ford in the 1976 race. Carter had huge Democrat majorities in the House and Senate. In 1976, Democrats held 292 House seats, compared to 143 for the GOP. Their lead in the Senate was 61 to 38 with one Independent. In 1978, the margin was reduced slightly: 277 to 158 in the House and 57/42/1 in the Senate. Getting congressional approval of his proposals should have been almost automatic. But Carter’s complete inexperience with the operations of the federal government were painfully obvious from his first day in the White House.

Obama’s policies will fail – there is not enough money. Stay true to your principles.

stenwin77 on April 29, 2009 at 7:12 AM

MB4:

McCain and Graham both voted against the monstrous spending that Obama is asking for. Right now, we need all the help we can get in that department. I think it is time to call a halt to the purging, at least until there is an election to replace the people we are losing.

Otherwise Republicans will be little more than the yapping dog at the Democrats’ heels.

You know the Republican party was not always just for certain types of conservatives. It was a broad based political party that was pro business and pretty much left people alone. It was not intrusive or nagging. A lot of moderate business people felt at home in the party. Maybe we need to get back to that somehow.

And no, I am not saying get rid of conservatives.

Terrye on April 29, 2009 at 7:18 AM

stenwin:

I saw that. It is the Gallup survey that is always done in April. I wonder why their poll puts Obama 7 points higher than their survey?

Terrye on April 29, 2009 at 7:19 AM

Exactly! I’m from Boston…South Boston.

TheBigOldDog on April 28,

I’m reading about Paul Revere right now.

JellyToast on April 29, 2009 at 7:24 AM

as bad a specter is to a conservative, the Republicans still needed him. if we wanted him to vote “no” on something, we had to promise him something else. optimal situation? no.

but now we won’t even have that opportunity with him.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 7:44 AM

a video everyone needs to see on the swine flu:

unseen on April 29, 2009 at 2:58 AM

Watch all of it. The reporters are asking pretty good questions. There’s almost nothing in the interview that is not documented either in John Barry’s book or via wikipedia (including references to external sites). It’s a very precise summary of what can be expected.

gh on April 29, 2009 at 7:47 AM

but now we won’t even have that opportunity with him.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Energize your constituency, beat the streets and sell your political and social philosophies and get good conservative elected to critical positions . . . but turn this piece of excrement loose to wallow with his own kind in their liberal cesspool.

rplat on April 29, 2009 at 7:56 AM

but now we won’t even have that opportunity with him.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 7:44 AM

rplat on April 29, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Sorry about the double post . . . I’m not sure how I did that.

rplat on April 29, 2009 at 7:59 AM

but now we won’t even have that opportunity with him.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Great, so who is to blame? Toomey, for challenging him?

I am so sick of this meme that it is conservatives’ fault that Specter left.

BigD on April 29, 2009 at 8:03 AM

rplat: you are right about energizing our constituency. but we do need to be a bigger tent.

do you realize that many republicans are pro-choice? is that ok with most of the “base”?

and at the same time, i know a complete left-wing nut who is also a vehement proponent of the 2d amendment.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 8:06 AM

it is not the conservatives fault that specter left. he was going to lose the primary–he left for his own political expediency.

but we really do need to consider being more aggressive in not only attacking dems, but also attracting new republicans. and this might mean compromising on personal views.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 8:08 AM

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 8:08 AM

This is why I keep saying that federalism is the ideal glue: all the republicans have to say is that issues such as abortion and gay marriage should be left to the individual states to decide. While that might not be enough for all social conservatives, I think many would go along with that and that approach would work with many libertarians and others who are a bit leery of big government social conservatism. By the way, that’s exactly the Modern Whigs are taking now. The GOP better get on the stick.

Matt Helm on April 29, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Spector just seems like a political hack who was losing surely as a GOP and switched because he can’t quit. The man is 79. At that age, it’s no wonder he’s not up for a real primary fight.

AnninCA on April 29, 2009 at 8:19 AM

thanks matt. i don’t think many on hotair agree with me.

big tent is impt if any election is to be won. (sorry for the passive voice). to win elections, we must have a big tent!

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Red banner at ABCNews dot com right now:

Obama and Biden welcome Specter to Democratic Party…WATCH LIVE.

Oooooooooooooo I think I’ll go pick up the dog business now.

Limerick on April 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM

thanks matt. i don’t think many on hotair agree with me.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Another meme that I am sick of is that conservatives don’t want a big tent. Ronald Reagan was a conservative, and a Christian, and won 49 states.

When the GOP can find some principles to stick to and present itself as a choice, it might have a chance. If all it wants to be is Democrat lite, it will lose.

BigD on April 29, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Its easy to see the damage that someone like Specter does to the party. You cant say we are the party of principle and low taxes and small government when people in leadership positions like Specter can vote whichever way they chose with no consequences. It makes the average guy look at the Republican party and think “they are no better than the other guys”.

It generates apathy.
It removes incentive to vote.
It removes belief that the GOP means what they say.
It gives the other side “bi-partisan” cover.
Its bad for the GOP identity and its bad for conservatives.

Opportunity Costs on April 29, 2009 at 8:39 AM

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2009 at 8:19 AM

You get a big tent by showing how less government action and interference in our lives means more freedom and more choice which leads to more economic power for you and me. You have to have people that exemplify that in votes and rhetoric which leads back to my previous post.

Opportunity Costs on April 29, 2009 at 8:42 AM

House-cleaning.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

bluelightbrigade on April 29, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Doctor Zero on April 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM

For years the left has been saying “the personal is the political” in an attempt to “energize” people they thought should be voting for lefties because “the system” was keeping them down. However, the left always ignored (and hoped would stay out of politics), the group that wasn’t voting but that supported, albeit in an inchoate manner, limited government and free markets. A lot of the same people that Ward Churchill would end up calling “little Eichmann’s”. Sorta like the guy Susan Roesgen interviewed in Chicago at the Tea Party. Not really sure of how to articulate it all because politics “aren’t his thing, really”, but supportive of the basic ideas.

In an interesting turnabout, the left’s overreach might finally bring some of those people into the voting booth, but on the conservative side. Looking out over the American landscape, I think there are more of those people than in any other “growth market” in votes. I made this point the other day and some troll responded, “Those people never vote”. To which I say, conditions on the ground are changing and at some point those people are going to realize that “politics” isn’t just some game that gets played in DC by a bunch of know-nothings (although it certainly is that), but it’s also a manifestation of power, including the power to, as you say, have some political operative tell you you can’t get that kidney transplant. Obama and co. want “transformational”, well, let’s see how far beyond a bunch of Euro-phile lefty ideologues, multi-generation welfare recipients and wet behind the ears college kids the desire for “transformational” really extends.

venividivici on April 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Right . . . like that “Republican leverage” that was used so effectively in the Senate to curb some of the (many) excesses of the “stimulus” bill before its passage? Oh wait . . . . the Republicans didn’t have any leverage in the Senate because Specter, as usual, voted with the Democrats on that disgraceful waste of taxpayer money. Or maybe he means the “Republican leverage” that Specter used for such good purpose in fighting against the amnesty bill in the Senate? Oh wait . . . Specter voted with the Democrats for that piece of crap too.

When the only “Republican leverage” you’re losing is illusory, you’re not really losing anything, are you?

AZCoyote on April 29, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2009 at 6:23 AM

1966: Gotta get elected.

1967 – 1997: Gotta stay in office.

1998: Gotta find some obscure reference to Scottish law that will let me vote to keep Bill Clinton in office.

1999 – present: Gotta stay in office.

Doctor Zero on April 29, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Loxodonta on April 29, 2009 at 1:37 AM

I’m not in favor of targeting everyone with less than a 90% lifetime conservative voting record and showing them the door, either… it won’t do conservatism any good to start asking every Republican if they prefer the Flat Tax or the Fair Tax, and tearing off their American flag lapel pin if they take more than two seconds to answer. In a time when radical leftists have gained the power they need to implement a disastrous agenda, I do think we can do without the people who would not reliably vote against the worst elements of that agenda. It does no good for the conservative movement to marginalize itself in the quest for ideological purity, but is consistency too much to ask?

The argument against socialism will always be difficult, because the emotional appeal of greed and envy is so strong. “We will take money from rich people and use it to give you free stuff” is an attitude rightly mocked by intelligent conservatives as a ridiculous principle for structuring a society… but it makes a killer advertising slogan. The task of making the conservative argument is always made more difficult with the worst of the RINOs racing to eager journalists and explaining how they’re not like the knuckle-dragging trickle-down tools of the wealthy that dominate their party. In the months and years to come, we will be able to afford less of that static than ever before. Besides the useful cover the Specter types give the Democrats by voting with them, they demoralize the serious conservative Republicans at crucial moments. It’s tough to expect people to stay hunkered down in the trenches during a savage battle, when they see a bunch of their fellow soldiers crossing over to the other side and hoisting the enemy’s flag.

The spirit of capitalism that we defend includes the embrace of risk in the pursuit of reward. This is a good moment for conservatives to measure the risks and rewards of the marginal members of the Republican Party, and even a Democrat or two. I feel the risk of giving Toomey his shot, and letting Arlen Specter finally pick up the hammer and sickle he’s longed to hold for his entire political career, is worth the reward that would be gained. I also think keeping people like Lindsay Graham around is worth it, even though it will require us to grit our teeth a bit. It’s also worth tolerating John McCain’s never-ending flamenco dance on the edge of reason, because he does do the right thing sometimes, and seems likely to do it more often as the shadow of Fascist America rises above him. We should take these people one at a time, and perhaps err on the side of tolerance for the odd elephant with a vestigial RINO horn, but Arlen Specter was well outside the margin of error.

Doctor Zero on April 29, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Dear Allahpundint;

Joe Pyne on April 29, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Agree 100%.

David Frum is totally irrelevant. I guess Allah is quoting him for the outrage-factor in hopes of driving up comments, but not even that is working (only 300 or so comments, a fraction of what your ususal Palin thread brings).

David Frum is an abject failure in everything, including motivating HotAir commenters.

Give it a rest, Allah. Spare us the nonsense from this Frum clown.

Norwegian on April 29, 2009 at 12:27 PM