Notre Dame’s token pro-lifer drops out of commencement program

posted at 12:55 pm on April 27, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Notre Dame’s attempt to defuse the controversy over their invitation to Barack Obama for their law-school commencement just blew up in their faces.  Mary Ann Glendon, who was to receive a prestigious award at the same commencement, has objected to being used by the university as a token Catholic at a Catholic university.  In an open letter, the former ambassador to the Vatican politely tells Notre Dame to stuff their invitation to speak, and the Laetare Award as well:

April 27, 2009
The Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C.
President
University of Notre Dame

Dear Father Jenkins,

When you informed me in December 2008 that I had been selected to receive Notre Dame’s Laetare Medal, I was profoundly moved. I treasure the memory of receiving an honorary degree from Notre Dame in 1996, and I have always felt honored that the commencement speech I gave that year was included in the anthology of Notre Dame’s most memorable commencement speeches. So I immediately began working on an acceptance speech that I hoped would be worthy of the occasion, of the honor of the medal, and of your students and faculty.

Last month, when you called to tell me that the commencement speech was to be given by President Obama, I mentioned to you that I would have to rewrite my speech. Over the ensuing weeks, the task that once seemed so delightful has been complicated by a number of factors.

First, as a longtime consultant to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, I could not help but be dismayed by the news that Notre Dame also planned to award the president an honorary degree. This, as you must know, was in disregard of the U.S. bishops’ express request of 2004 that Catholic institutions “should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles” and that such persons “should not be given awards, honors or platforms which would suggest support for their actions.” That request, which in no way seeks to control or interfere with an institution’s freedom to invite and engage in serious debate with whomever it wishes, seems to me so reasonable that I am at a loss to understand why a Catholic university should disrespect it.

Then I learned that “talking points” issued by Notre Dame in response to widespread criticism of its decision included two statements implying that my acceptance speech would somehow balance the event:

• “President Obama won’t be doing all the talking. Mary Ann Glendon, the former U.S. ambassador to the Vatican, will be speaking as the recipient of the Laetare Medal.”
  • “We think having the president come to Notre Dame, see our graduates, meet our leaders, and hear a talk from Mary Ann Glendon is a good thing for the president and for the causes we care about.”

A commencement, however, is supposed to be a joyous day for the graduates and their families. It is not the right place, nor is a brief acceptance speech the right vehicle, for engagement with the very serious problems raised by Notre Dame’s decision—in disregard of the settled position of the U.S. bishops—to honor a prominent and uncompromising opponent of the Church’s position on issues involving fundamental principles of justice.

Finally, with recent news reports that other Catholic schools are similarly choosing to disregard the bishops’ guidelines, I am concerned that Notre Dame’s example could have an unfortunate ripple effect.

It is with great sadness, therefore, that I have concluded that I cannot accept the Laetare Medal or participate in the May 17 graduation ceremony.

In order to avoid the inevitable speculation about the reasons for my decision, I will release this letter to the press, but I do not plan to make any further comment on the matter at this time.

Yours Very Truly,

Mary Ann Glendon

In other words, Glendon somehow objects to getting exploited by Notre Dame as a token to cover for their honoring a relentlessly pro-abortion politician with an honorary degree.  Glendon makes clear that her objection doesn’t spring from the invitation for him to speak, but from honoring Obama with a degree from a Catholic university while remaining in opposition to the central Catholic value of the sanctity of life.  And she’s right to reject that exploitation, as Notre Dame used Glendon in a way that all but said, “Why, some of our best friends are Catholic!”

The public scolding and rejection leaves Notre Dame twisting in the wind.  The Laetare Medal is quite prestigious in the Catholic community, and Glendon’s rejection of it will make Rev. Jenkins look even more foolish.  Glendon refuses to allow the award to be demeaned into a tool for political purposes, which demonstrates more integrity than Fr. Jenkins has shown in this sorry episode.

Update: Could Notre Dame be more clueless?  According to The Corner, their response says — yes!

“We are, of course, disappointed that Professor Glendon has made this decision. It is our intention to award the Laetare Medal to another deserving recipient, and we will make that announcement as soon as possible.”

So who wants to be the last-minute, second-thought, politically-expedient replacement recipient?  The prestige of the Laetare Award keeps falling, and falling ….

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

They can give the Laetare Medal to Miss California, I suppose.

Mr. D on April 27, 2009 at 1:00 PM

This is one of the many reasons I love being Catholic.

jeff_from_mpls on April 27, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I’ll take it if it’s worth at least 3 digits on ebay.

Darth Executor on April 27, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Good for her. Maybe ND can give a posthumus Laetare award to Margaret Sanger.

Vashta.Nerada on April 27, 2009 at 1:01 PM

When a Christian institution has to scramble to find a Christian to “balance” the drivel expected from a keynote speaker, we’re way down the road to Moral Confusion.

Akzed on April 27, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Thank you, Professor Glendon, for standing strong.

publiuspen on April 27, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Another woman with more stones then the Catholic “men.”

Love it.

ex-Democrat on April 27, 2009 at 1:01 PM

i wish more, if not all, of the republican party had the strength that she has.

Ghoul aid on April 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Nancy Pelosi…?

katy on April 27, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Code Pink has several candidates for them…

right2bright on April 27, 2009 at 1:03 PM

So who wants to be the last-minute, second-thought, politically-expedient replacement recipient? The prestige of the Laetare Award keeps falling, and falling ….

Maybe they can sell it on eBay…

FloatingRock on April 27, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Famed Catholic theologian Nancy Pelosi?

Wethal on April 27, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Give it to Al Gore!!

progressoverpeace on April 27, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Roland Burris.

Dead Hand Control on April 27, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Good for her.

Too bad more people in other public arenas aren’t as steadfast in their committment to their principles.

tru2tx on April 27, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I’m not Catholic, but I firmly stand behind this brave woman.

Good on ya!

Shame on Notre Dame.

tickleddragon on April 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I wonder if Charles Krauthammer’s refusal to be used as a stage prop by Barry O at the signing of the federal funding for embyronic stem cells helped her make her decision?

Just A Grunt on April 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Kmiec!

artist on April 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Choose Me! Choose Me!
I would be very pleased to balance President Obama.
I don’t even want an award!
In fact, I’ll open bidding at 100$ for 15 minutes.

tomg51 on April 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM

The fact is that Mary Ann Glendon’s letter ought to be the commencement speech. It is a gem. All we need to do is pay someone to put it up on TOTUS.

progressoverpeace on April 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Kathleen Sebelius
Joe Biden
Teddy Kennedy (any Kennedy – why not Joe, Jr. who got his annulment reversed by the Vatican)
John Kerry
Dick Durbin
John Murtha
Christopher Dodd

To name a few others.

Wethal on April 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Whomever accepts, will have to “song and dance” their way to make it seem like they are worthy and “above” such politics.
They will have an asterisk by their name, I can imagine they will find someone, but that person will have to be pretty weak to accept. The “bar of honor” has been set, and anyone accepting this will have to understand that they are lowering that bar.

right2bright on April 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I wish some of my fellow Catholics would practice the actual Church doctrine from time to time. You know, that’s kind of the point of being Catholic over other denominations of Christianity. I guess nobody bothered to mention this to the administrators at Notre Dame.

Vegi on April 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Bravo Professor Glendon,Bravo

I understand the schools next choice is Chavez

The_Lid on April 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Jeremiah Wright?

progressoverpeace on April 27, 2009 at 1:08 PM

First they destroy the prestige and honor of the Nobel Prize. Now this. Apparently honesty and integrity is so 20th century.

Guardian on April 27, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I think it’s time for the Pope to instruct the head of the order of Holy Cross, Father Cleary, to instruct President Jenkins to either retract the HDr offer or step down.

Writing a letter to Obama asking him to reconsider his position on abortion is a pathetic attempt to take credit for being firm on abortion while abdicating responsibility to take any real action.

Y-not on April 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Whatever Notre Dame meant is gone, changed.
Sorry. But they’ve chosen to join the PC mob.

This is an impressive human being. That she is a great Christian woman is blessing to girls who otherwise look to pageants for mentoring role models. Miss California would be so fortunate to study from Mary Ann Glendon.

maverick muse on April 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I hear Caroline Kennedy is looking for something to do since she won’t become Ambassador to the Vatican.

katiejane on April 27, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Y-not on April 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Jenkins is vying to become a UN ambassador.

maverick muse on April 27, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Jeremiah Wright?

progressoverpeace on April 27, 2009 at 1:08 PM

hahahahah

maverick muse on April 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM

How can the Catholic Church support this travesty?
Is the honorary degree to recognize Obama’s acomplishemnts in killing late term babies?

ObamatheMessiah on April 27, 2009 at 1:17 PM

They should make an exception (to the normal pre-requisite that the recipient is a Catholic) and give the Laetare Medal to President Bush.

Y-not on April 27, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Garofalo?

null on April 27, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Kathie Sebelious is a catholic. she is still not fully booked on her schedule. If she gets confirmed, she can swing by some cathiolic Hospitals on her trip and offer them a choice of doing abortions or get cut off on reimbursements. If Sebelious doesn’t get confirmed as HHS, Obama can offer her up as ambassador to the Vatican.

seven on April 27, 2009 at 1:19 PM

If more people had the courage of their convictions the world would be a better place.

mchristian on April 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM

I nominate Blago.

I mean this award has to worth some F&*^%&$ money. You can’t just give it awayt for free. Ect.

Could be funny.

todler on April 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Allahpundit.

Blake on April 27, 2009 at 1:21 PM

They gave it to Martin Sheen last year, so I don’t know how much value it really has.

Mr. D on April 27, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I nominate Bill Maher.

Knucklehead on April 27, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Even the most mild will push back hard when they feel used. GOOD FOR HER!! Another tough cookie to add to the conservative arsenal. Let’s keep this wave of PUSHING BACK rolling. Some of us simply will NOT back off our moral standings. Period.

Ris4victory on April 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Mary Ann Glendon is a role model extraordinaire! Her letter to Fr. Jenkins is simply superb.

Glendon’s recently deceased dear friend and great Roman Catholic priest and ethicist, John Richard Neuhaus, must be hopping happy up in heaven this day.

This is the best news I have had all day.

marybel on April 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Has the left made all men so guilt ridden that only the women are standing up for the Catholic and Conservative movements? It seems the only man who has been making headlines and holding his own is Pope Benedict XVI.

Then again, maybe these institutions know better than to try and give Scott Hahn and Mark Steyn a microphone when they are afraid of what they might hear.

Rogue Traveler on April 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Whoever they get to show up and take their worthless medal should do so with a coat hanger wrapped in bloody rags in their free hand.

Spiritk9 on April 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM

SMACK!

CurtZHP on April 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Mr. D on April 27, 2009 at 1:21 PM

What do you mean? Aren’t actors supposed to be the smartest and most enlightened people ever?

Rogue Traveler on April 27, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I have never heard of Mary Ann Glendon, but I will not soon forget her name! Her’s is the face of courage in a PC world. Steadfast & strong, she is a wonderful role model for my own daughter and daughters across this nation. Well Done, thy faithful servant!!!

In the span of one week, Miss California and Mary Ann Glendon have stood on firm ground and not given in to pressure to ‘go along to get along’. My hope is that others are encouraged to stand strong for their beliefs; I know I am better for having heard their story.

BRAVO!

TN Mom on April 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Might I suggest that any graduating ND students who actually believe in what the university is supposed to stand for, stand and turn your back on the podium during the Barry speech.

Vashta.Nerada on April 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM

When someone feels strongly and willingly foregoes a coveted award of recognition, then there is nothing to do but say, “Hat’s off.”

Class is refusing to be made a puppet in someone else’s play.

AnninCA on April 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Ah hello? Obama is going to be there already and this will allow him to give 2 speeches so it’s a win-win. I’m sure he doesn’t have one of these Laetre Awards yet and we all know he’s deserving of every award ever imagined. So, why not just give it to him?

Rocks on April 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Vashta.Nerada on April 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM

There’s no requirement to actually attend the ceremony. Why not just pick up your degree and skip it? It’s officially a joke this year anyway now.

Rocks on April 27, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Lots of good nominations in the comments, but I think William Ayers is a good choice for them. Then they get the pro-abortion and pro-terrorist crowd all sewn up.

kirkill on April 27, 2009 at 1:33 PM

ANYONE who does not believe in abortion that attends the Obama Notre Dame
speech must stage a silent protest. When Obama starts speaking – while the whole world is watching – stand up and turn your back to Obama.

izoneguy on April 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM

She would have been there, but the Obama administration had requested that she be covered with plywood.

Snowed In on April 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM

OLBY

SDarchitect on April 27, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Notre Dame is just getting what they deserve and I hope this won’t be the worst of it…I agree kirkill, they should just invite Ayers…as a Catholic and an American they sicken me…

DCJeff on April 27, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I’m a conservative baptist and I want to meet this fantastic woman who has the courage to stand for her convictions!!!! We need a country full of these type of people, now more than ever.

flytier on April 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Good for Glendon. Right recourse for the right reasons. Refreshingly rare.

Alliteration aside (oops) they really are stuck now. I doubt any other noted pro-life speaker will accept. Whoever does accept is going to look like a twit, and there will not be much possibility of using the Laetare to balance the honorary degree given to Obama.

My worry is this: will ND alumni really care? My impression is that most of them aren’t all that Catholic either, based on the direction in which the school has been heading for years. If they do, great, the school will lose money (which they will definitely care more about than trifles like loyalty to the Church or standing up for unborn children.)
But if they don’t, then a higher authority needs to step in and make things happen. This is not a Catholic school, and should not be allowed to besmirch the reputations of those that are.

Also, Father Jenkins should be removed from positions of responsibility. He is not up to the job and ought to be placed in a monastary somewhere so that he can consider all possible meanings of the phrases “Whatsoever you do to the least of these, you do unto me” and “The lukewarm I will vomit from my mouth”.

Gaunilon on April 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Notre Dame will announce that integrity is old school.

Limerick on April 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM

As a Catholic, I’m very proud of Mary Ann Glendon’s action and statement. It was very clear, pointed, yet graceful.

On the other hand, Notre Dame’s actions and statements are shameful. I don’t consider them to be a Catholic University at the moment. Every member of their board needs to do some serious reflecting on the consequences of the University’s actions.

Loxodonta on April 27, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Hmmmm yet those same people didn’t seem to mind Bush coming to speak. Nice to know Catholics can still pick and choose which aspects of the faith to adhere to and which ones to ignore.

lexhamfox on April 27, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Perhaps, Gaunilon, she will be a role model for others. They may find themselves with a lot of “No Thanks.”

AnninCA on April 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Notre Dame should award the Laetare Medal to Reverend Wright, since he had such a profound impact on forming Barack Obama’s world views.

OxyCon on April 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Well done My good and faithful servant.

Bob's Kid on April 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Rocks on April 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I concur with Rocks. Wasn’t this honorary degree supposed to be for “lifetime acheivement?” I feel he’s equally qualified for both accolades. ::snicker::

apostic on April 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I believe the issue, lex, is very evident. Her role as ambassador gives her special respect for the words of the Bishops requests.

It obviously truly would be contradictory.

AnninCA on April 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM

How better could it be that Obama give his speech to an EMPTY hole in the floor where the graduates should be.

Being from Texas, if I were in the Notre Dame graduating class, I think I’d be BBQ’ing with family and friends at a local park so I wouldn’t have to even hear his voice.
If not that, then every one opposed to his BS should show up with bright white ear muffs, AND turn their backs to him.

brewser on April 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Another woman with more stones then the Catholic “men.”

Love it.

ex-Democrat on April 27, 2009 at 1:01 PM

I thought Governor Palin (and her daughter) already established beyond a doubt the pitful characteristics of the post-feminist American “male.”

How many more of these events need to occur before men make a comeback in the US?

TMK on April 27, 2009 at 1:48 PM

brewser on April 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Yeah, I think it would be more effective to not attend the ceremony. I don’t like using a tactic (back turning) that was used against Bush. Besides, the media wouldn’t show the images of them with their backs turned, anyway.

Bishop D’Arcy should hold a celebratory Mass for the students and their families nearby and then they can proceed to the BBQ idea you suggest.

Y-not on April 27, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Oh… well played Ms. Glendon… well played.

Romeo13 on April 27, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Pardonme but our “President” may have missed this if it came out on Sunday for you see, he was out on the golf course. Besides, he loves the attention and conflict which he thrives on.

Pardonme on April 27, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Gaunilon on April 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I agree. Even judging by strictly secular standards (PR, donor and alumni relations), he’s made a dog’s breakfast of this thing.

Y-not on April 27, 2009 at 1:51 PM

As to the earmuffs/turned backs etc., the problem isn’t Obama giving a speech. That part is fine (although a convocation speech is questionable). The problem is the honorary degree.

Here’s what they should do: strip Obama of the degree, and give it to anyone from Operation Rescue who’s been jailed for peacefully protesting in front of an abortion clinic (Linda Gibbons, for example). Then listen politely to his speech. Then have the Op Rescue person speak and insist that Obama listen politely to that.

Gaunilon on April 27, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Unfortunately, there is undoubtedly someone among the 54% defiant that will take the award.

ericdijon on April 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Rocks on April 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM

What?!? And have to pay TOTUS overtime, in the midst of a Great Depression? Besides, 0-Bama may “accidentally” thank himself for the honor he bestowed on himself….

flytier on April 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Ditto, and I’m Orthodox Jewish….one of the proud/ashamed 22%.

dmh0667 on April 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Snowed In on April 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM0

Hilarious.

Rogue Traveler on April 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM

As a 1967 alum,,,,it is sad to see ND still digging a hole. I have severed all financial connections with this place and am considering going to the commencement and burning my diploma.

retiredeagle on April 27, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I’m from California, and I’d do the same.

I graduated from Berkeley with a degree in Anthropology back in the day when physical anthro was included with the rest of anthro (instead of being part of Integrative Science like you can do now), so I was really nervous about who our graduation speaker was going to be. I was vastly relieved that it was one of our professors and not someone “famous.” That could have gone way bad.

Bob's Kid on April 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM

retiredeagle on April 27, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Did you let the Advancement Office know? You’re the right age for a planned gift so make sure to let the planned giving office know you’ve cut ND out of your will. The fundraising staff will make sure that the board members and President get the message.

The law school rankings by USN&WR includes things like “faculty resources,” “expenditures per student,” and “library resources,” so with any luck alumni like yourself will send a message by hitting ND both at their pocketbook and in their rankings. ND is currently ranked 23rd.

Y-not on April 27, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Spiritk9 on April 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM

A beaker with a freshly killed “unviable tissue mass” might be more apropos, in homage to the Commencement Speaker and one of his favored causes, since acceptance of the award at this juncture serves to validate Him and his ghastly policies.

VelvetElvis on April 27, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I was impressed with Miss California and am more impressed with Glendon. It is heart worming to see these people stand by their convictions and trample on PC.

duff65 on April 27, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Y-not on April 27, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Great advice for all ND graduates.

Loxodonta on April 27, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Thank you, Madame Ambassador, for remaining true to Him. You statement of declination was very polite but unmistakably clear. The “powers that be” at Notre Dame will look foolish in their scramble to fill your place at the commencement.

kingsjester on April 27, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Hey! I have an idea. How about booking that baby who was born alive but left to die on a broom closet floor! Oh, that’s right, he’s dead because of Obama’s radical abortion stance/votes. Why is everyone so upset about Obama speaking at a Catholic College?

marklmail on April 27, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I’m proud of her.

Tim Burton on April 27, 2009 at 2:07 PM

lexhamfox on April 27, 2009 at 1:42 PM

And what, exactly, are you talking about? Here is a story about a woman who does not pick and chose aspects of her faith, but believes in it whole-heartedly. How you managed to wangle Bush into it with absolutely no context is utterly amazing.

Trafalgar on April 27, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Dr. Kevourkian.

portlandon on April 27, 2009 at 2:09 PM

My guess is former seminarian Michael Steele will do his best impression of Roland Burris and beg lobby for the award. He and Father Jenkins can compare notes on the drop in contributions to their respective organizations.

Mark30339 on April 27, 2009 at 2:11 PM

So they tried to use her as a tool, but it looks like Jenkins came off looking like a tool.

sheesh on April 27, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Will they have to cover all the statues of the Virgin Mary and all the crucifixes?

Bevan on April 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Are they going to throw a sheet over Touchdown Jesus?

capitalist piglet on April 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Spiritk9 on April 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM

You are despicable and should be banned from this site

Willie on April 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM

There are thousands, millions of women who could have taken her place…unfortunately they were aborted before they could.
Maybe just turn on a “vacuum cleaner” for a few minutes…

right2bright on April 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Maybe just turn on a “vacuum cleaner” for a few minutes…

right2bright on April 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM

That would really suck.

(hey, someone had to)

Snowed In on April 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Good for Ms. Glendon.

BetseyRoss on April 27, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Blessed are you among women…

D2Boston on April 27, 2009 at 2:29 PM