Miss California: Pageant organizers tried to force me to apologize

posted at 11:36 am on April 27, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The saga of the Miss USA pageant continues to get more and more ridiculous.  After organizer Donald Trump inexplicably invited Perez Hilton to judge the beauty contest and the blogger wound up using it as a PR stunt with a politically loaded question, Carrie Prejean has garnered more attention for her runner-up status than the winner got.  (Quick: without Googling, can you name her?)  Now, after Miss California has become a media darling by speaking her own mind, she reveals that the Miss California pageant organizers wanted her to remember her proper place — by renouncing her religious beliefs and apologizing:

Miss California Carrie Prejean, who became the bombshell of the Miss USA pageant by saying gay couples should not be allowed to marry, said Sunday that her state sponsors urged her to apologize afterward but she rejected the advice.

Prejean, 21, said officials from the Miss California USA pageant were worried that her comments would cost their contest financial backing and tried to prepare her for a string of post-pageant media interviews by discouraging her from discussing her religious beliefs.

“`You need to apologize to the gay community. You need to not talk about your faith. This has everything to do with you representing California and saving the brand,’” Prejean recalled being told. “I was representing California. I was representing the majority of people in California.”

You need to not talk about your faith.  For those who think of beauty pageants as anachronisms for young women in an era of liberation, doesn’t this speak volumes about the attitudes of the organizers?  Just shut up and look pretty, even if people are attacking you.

Let’s remember why Prejean has to talk about this at all.  The organizers of the national contest invited an outspoken gay-marriage advocate and allowed him to turn the pageant into a soapbox for his own purposes.  After Prejean gave her honest answer, choosing to have the confidence in her own faith and intellect, Hilton then went on a media tear, calling Prejean a “b***h” and saying he wished he could call her an even more vulgar term demeaning towards women.

And the beauty pageant organizers want her to shut up, smile, and just take it — and apologize for having an opinion.

What a breakthrough for women!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’ll bet that the first people out of Mexico City into the US are those with valid passports, getting off the planes at places like JFK or LAX.

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Because when that happens, flights from Mexico City will be just as open as they always are, right?

Wrong.

leetpriest on April 27, 2009 at 3:41 PM

If you’re going to try to make a point, at least make it viable.

leetpriest on April 27, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I was thinking more of the public drunks and vomiting in the street. It doesn’t matter if the people are Irish. If they are perceived to be by someone who then generalizes about Irish people or the effects of the culture then the parade can be misleading. Granted the impact is less of an issue today than it was a couple of generations ago when the Irish were more isolated.

Puerto Rican day in NYC is not very enjoyable either. The vibe is different, but I wouldn’t recommend basing one’s opinion on Puerto Rican people based on a walk through Central Park during the parade.

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

My Sister-in-Law is Puerto Rican.. and an expert with an M-16. I don’t mess with her. heh..

GoodBoy on April 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Wrong.

leetpriest on April 27, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Theoretically, one could seal the city and prevent anyone from leaving in which case everyone by definition would be leaving illegally–even U.S. passport holders.

However, we aren’t there yet and the flights from Mex City to the US are filled with valid passports.

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM

It’s futile and idiotic to make a comparison about how soddomites act at a parade in front of children that they know will be present, as opposed to how adults will act in a bar that children are not allowed at.

The behavior of the GLBT crowd at their parades, and it’s total scoffing at any sort of social propriety, only tells me that they do NOT really want to be “included” or “equal”. They go to great lengths to demonstrate that they are so very “outside” of society. Any person from the GLBT crowd who wanted to be taken seriously would have to rebuke the image that their militant arm has created for them. If I were someone who was gay, I’d be more disappointed by my compatriots, than the ignorant and uninformed people who typecast me.

caygeon on April 27, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Living in Rome say about 310 a.d. must have felt about like living in the USA feels today.

notagool on April 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

You’re diverting from the point, probably purposefully. It doesn’t matter how I base my views, or where I base them. My views are religion-based, so regardless of whatever filth these people display in public will not change my opinion on the matter of respect.

The fact still remains that homosexuals practice behavior that people don’t approve of. Any homosexual that I’ve met that brings up the topic ALWAYS eggs on a conversation about it, then asks my opinion. When they get it, and they aren’t happy about it, they lambaste me with fake words like “homophobe” and call me intolerant. Simply because I have an opinion that I normally keep to myself unless asked, or like here, is posted.

That being said, my point stands. The entire homosexual community as a collective has a problem with people that don’t approve of their behavior.

If soddomites didn’t want to hear my opinion and “religious intolerance” on the matter, there’s an easy solution. What kind of idiot asks a question and gets pissed about the answer that they get when it’s not what they expect?

Oh yeah….Perez Hilton.

leetpriest on April 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Oh yeah….Perez Hilton.

leetpriest on April 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Yeah, he’s a twerp who makes his living off of controversy and insults.

In responding to your original post it has been my contention that using a parade to extrapolate qualities of Irish, Puerto Rican, or gay individuals is not the most accurate approach.

As to your religious values gay people should respect them and understand that they are deeply held.

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Who gives a shit about this? Seriously… does this have any impact on policy? Why is this blog (and the media generally) obsessing over the goings on a beauty pageant.

lexhamfox on April 27, 2009 at 4:15 PM

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Again, if it was only one day a year, it would be one thing. But this is every single parade at every single holiday.

leetpriest on April 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM

lexhamfox on April 27, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Because 10% of the population thinks that a right exists where it doesn’t.

leetpriest on April 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM

The purpose (or at least effect) of most pageant questions is to have the contestant say something utterly forgettable about a big issue. Carrie flunked that test, but the controversy she sparked is more valuable than the crown.

dedalus on April 27, 2009

The only “passing” answer she could have given would have been to either 1) lie and say she was all for gay marriage or 2) give a politician’s answer (ie. answer a different question than the one she was asked). There was no way she could provide a forgettable response without compromising her own values and principles.

frank63 on April 27, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Because 10% of the population thinks that a right exists where it doesn’t.

leetpriest on April 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I agree with the 10% but I do not think that a beauty pageant is the place for the debate nor do I think the bimbos on either side of the issue at the pageant have anything to offer on the debate.

lexhamfox on April 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Wasn’t the vote to not allow gay marriage like 60 percent. It seems to me like she was representing California pretty well.

Corsair on April 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM

(Quick: without Googling, can you name her?)

That’s a negative, Captain. :-)

Hawkins1701 on April 27, 2009 at 4:50 PM

thanks acleaver. She certainly is making the rounds sharing her christian story.

ousoonerfan15 on April 27, 2009 at 4:58 PM

They should have made the Panelists, the Former winner, Ivanka, and Simon Cowell.

- The Cat

MirCat on April 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM

I seem to remember a majority of Californians passing a gay-marriage ban…I think she was obivously right on all fronts. Screw the pageant officials and their tactics!

MechEng5by5 on April 27, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Anyone heard any more from Perez Peter Puffer lately.

GarandFan on April 27, 2009 at 5:31 PM

This bikini contest participant’s worthless opinion notwithstanding, her opposition to gay marriage is actually helping the gay cause.

Dave Rywall on April 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Dave – If anyone on Hot Air is an expert on being worthless, it’s YOU.

bw222 on April 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Wonder if its a coincidence that Meg McCain just twittered this? She must read HotAir.

Big shoutout to Iowa today for legalizing gay marriage which can now officially be performed today! Gives me lots of hope for the country!

GoodBoy on April 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM

So is Meghan gay? I thought it was Cheney’s daughter who is gay. Have I missed something? I don’t pay much attention to her but she sure seems a popular topic here.

Jvette on April 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM

lexhamfox on April 27, 2009 at 4:15 PM

As I explained in an earlier post, it is all about propaganda. There is nothing more all American than the Miss USA and Miss America pageants. What a coup to have had her saying that she believes that same sex marriage is a right. That would have been plastered all over where the issue of gay marriage is least likely to be a plus for Democrats.

“Look, even Miss USA thinks gays have a right to marry. So, if you disagree with her, you must be unAmerican.”

I saw this immediately for what it was and I thank GOD for giving this beautiful, talented, intelligent young woman the courage to say what she said and then to stand fast against the tide of hate that has come her way since.

I am not surprised that in the aftermath, she has been gracious, honest and respectful. Hilton and others have been angry and vicious.

Jvette on April 27, 2009 at 5:44 PM

frank63 on April 27, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I always thought the right beauty pageant answer was along the lines of a politician or corporate PR person not trying to offend.

However, they used to get questions that were easy to answer, along the lines of “What would you change to make the world a better place?” The Perez question was designed to offend either side and that is probably what Trump was looking for.

Trying to find a middle ground, she might have said that “Marriage is our most important tradition and the most important decision a person will make in their life. As states look at this issue I hope, as in Vermont, that it is addressed by the people and their representatives rather than handed down by judges. Ultimately, we must arrive at a solution that is fair, treats people equally and respects the tradition of marriage.”

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 5:56 PM

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 5:56 PM

That’s a great answer if the question were ‘What’s the best political solution to the gay marriage controversy in our country?’. But that wasn’t the question. She was asked if she thought all other states should follow the example of Vermont. In other words, Hilton was trying to get her opinion of gay marriage itself, not which area of government she thought could best deal with the problem. If she had answered like you suggest, that would have been a politician’s answer. I think everyone is sick of that politicians and all their double talk. I’ve heard several people at work comment that even though they disagree with her on the merits of the issue, they have more respect for her standing up for what she believes than these cowardly politicians who want to have it both ways on the issue.

frank63 on April 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM

American Power tracked-back with, “Bigotry’s Mirror: Carrie Prejean Just Needs Some Education!”:

Donald Douglas on April 27, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Ed, this story had its 15 minutes of fame. Move on to something relevant, nobody cares about this bimbo except you.

athensboy on April 27, 2009 at 8:11 PM

frank63 on April 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Oh, I agree. A politician or CEO has to proceed with caution. She could have been cautious and finished a quiet 2nd. However, her answer, being genuine, made her a more interesting story. Good for her.

The answer I threw together was one that a person might give if they hoped to offend the fewest people and have no one remember it the next day. She succeeded in being more memorable. Again, good for her. I hope she grabs the opportunity and makes the most of it.

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Athensboy, you want this story removed? Is it because it embarasses the gays when Hilton asked her these questions? You want this site to be like Pravda and only approved by the leftists agenda?

garydt on April 27, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Dave Rywall on April 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM

The funny thing Dave it is YOU nut jobs that thought so much of her opinion. WHy are you such a tool?

Jamson64 on April 27, 2009 at 9:24 PM

athensboy on April 27, 2009 at 8:11 PM

No homosexuals and hollywood types made a big deal of it..now idiot meet drywall….

Jamson64 on April 27, 2009 at 9:26 PM

athensboy on April 27, 2009 at 8:11 PM

On what basis do you insult her as a “bimbo?” I’ve read what you have to say and don’t think you are in any position to insult anyone else’s intelligence. I think this young lady is wonderful and would be proud of her if she were my daughter. You I’d be embarrassed about and change the subject to the weather!

Ted Torgerson on April 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

That’s why I’d rather watch it at home, waving my flag before the TV and drinking kola champagne.

newton on April 27, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Gays can marry under the same restrictions as anyone else. Just pick someone who is (1) old enough, (2) human, (3) one person, (4) not related to you, and (5) of the opposite sex.

Gays activists don’t want equal rights, they want special rights.

TheBetterHalf on April 27, 2009 at 11:00 PM

lexhamfox on April 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Why attack the girl because you don’t agree with her religious views? Is this more of the famous Queer Tolerance for The Other?

She didn’t attack anyone, but has been savaged by the radical queer community, in their hate campaign against Christianity. You’re entitled to your views, so have them. Then STFU.

Jaibones on April 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM

dedalus on April 27, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Instead, she gave the one that warmed the hearts of most.

I agree! Good for her!

Saltysam on April 27, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Give it a rest.The woman spoke her mind. When did America start demonizing people for their point of view.

Welcome the the New Age – I guess. I won’t be participating though, at least not on National TV.

Thank God she had the guts.

seesalrun on April 27, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Perez Hiltoon is a sleazy, noxious weasel.

Miss California dares to believe that Mother Nature exists.

She must be stopped!

profitsbeard on April 28, 2009 at 12:40 AM

I’m against same sex marriage. Nonetheless, I don’t give a rat’s ass what this person thinks about the subject, or any other subject for that matter. I also realize that nobody particularly cares about my opinion on the matter either. The chick that won is way hotter than Miss Cali FWIW.

dakine on April 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Because 10% of the population thinks that a right exists where it doesn’t.

leetpriest on April 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I agree with virtually everything you state on this unfortunate subject. However, the correct figure for American sodomite population is approximately 4% of males and 2% of females.

The 10% number is from a child molester who was “working” on a grant. While creating slanted statistics on sodomy, he was also busy molesting infants and toddlers to determine their “orgasmic” response to physical stimulation.

The hero of the sodomy legitimization movement is the filthiest degenerate of all perverts. Birds of a feather flock together.

platypus on April 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM

The chick that won is way hotter than Miss Cali FWIW.

dakine on April 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM

FWIW? It ain’t worth much. She’s nothing special compared to Carrie, who shines like a precious jewel.

platypus on April 28, 2009 at 1:34 AM

That babe is hot as hell.

I just wish she would stop saying “You know something”.

Hey Meghan McCain, that is what a republican women who is young looks like. The youth will follow her….not your oreo eating a$$.

The Wall on April 28, 2009 at 2:06 AM

athensboy on April 27, 2009 at 8:11 PM

There is so much to this story concerning the right to a strong woman with her opinion, especially when it goes against the grain of correctness, that for Ed to ignore it is equal to ignoring any corruption of free speech.

Perez wants to put people like Ms. Prejean in a burka of correctness and punish those who don’t agree with what “everyone” (even though her opinion is the opinion of a majority of Californians) thinks is the proper way of thinking. She has a right to think what she wants and say what she wishes. The fact it drives Hilton to cataplexy, that she would dare on such a stage to be honest to her convictions, in a free society should be respected instead of shouted down.

California beauty pagent officals harken back to the day when they wanted to just stuff women in bathing suits and strut them on stage without any regard to them as women. Well, officials, be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

And calling her a bimbo is degrading to her and the effort it took her to make it to that stage. My neice was a pagent contestant in the Miss Louisiana contest and you have no idea what those women go though. My hats off to any women who have the courage to take it on.

itsspideyman on April 28, 2009 at 3:38 AM

California should be very proud to have such a fine, honest, gutsy woman representing the state as a contestant in the Miss America Contest.

Listen to the video — she got a lot of applause for her answer. Yet the media only reported the few negative responses as if they represented the crowd.

This is a worthwhile story not only because the young lady is an inspirational role model, but because the vicious, untruthful, and distorted responses her answer provoked among the opposition should serve as a warning that our very freedom of opinion is threatened in today’s America.

The irony of all this is that her opinion most closely matches the stated position of President Barrack Obama. The difference is that she had the courage to stand up and say it and pay the price.

DaMav on April 28, 2009 at 5:23 AM

About the time someone tried to support the Duke lacross team.

faol on April 28, 2009 at 8:57 AM

DaMav on April 28, 2009 at 5:23 AM

The other difference is that she actually believes what she is saying. The reason Obama gets a pass from the Left is because they know he is lying. As he tells the country he believes in traditional marriage, he is winking at his gay activist supporters. They know that as soon as it is politically safe, he will help them push their agenda forward. The left cares more about politics than principle so they are more than willing to give Obama a pass for his lies if it’s part of a political strategy to increase the Left’s power.

frank63 on April 28, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Notice the gays will not attack Muslims. It is an anti Christian movement. The gays equally attacked Gov Palin. Again because of her religion.

seven on April 28, 2009 at 9:20 AM

That’s because it’s really about tearing down society, culture, and tradition. It’s not about equality.

chalons on April 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM

seven at 9:20

“It is an anti Christian movement.”

That is the common denominator of communism, Islam, atheism, liberalism, United Nations, George Soros and all the organizations he owns (including the DNC), abortion industry, etc.

The anti-Christ movement.

Particularly interesting is the fact that Jeremiah Wright, 20-year mentor to the man in the White House now, agrees with the theology that any “god” who loves white people just as Blacks must be…………….. killed. He and his fellow adherents of Black liberation theology have been killing Jesus WITHIN THE CHURCHES systematically for some time now.

Political beast, meet the religious beast. And bow to the one you both serve, the dragon.

justincase on April 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

notagool on April 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Yeah, except that, in 310 a.d., things were trending in a better direction in terms of being able to speak one’s mind about his own faith.

To the commenter who thinks it’s time to move away from this issue, consider this point. Carrie Prejean is an unwitting spokesperson for an issue that in itself is enough of a flashpoint, but the situation surrounding her is blowing up into an even bigger issue. The issue inherent is as follows:

Is one free to hold and express his own opinion anymore if it differs from the opinion of a substantial, loud minority? Some people clearly think the answer to that question is NO, and bravo to Ms. Prejean for insisting on her right.

flutejpl on April 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM

DaMav, that’s one major reason why nobody is particularly crying over the demise of newspapers, other than newspapers. They lost credibility like I’ve never seen this past election.

There is no doubt about the bias, and normal people have no particular use for partisan reporting. If we want that, we have blogs.

AnninCA on April 28, 2009 at 10:36 AM

The anti-Christ movement.
justincase on April 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

You hit the nail right on the head!

vapig on April 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM

There was a Miss-USA pageant?

And I missed it?

Hmm.. ho, hum,…

Lawrence on April 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM

”As much as one may wish to live and let live,” Harvard Law professor Mary Ann Glendon wrote in 2004, during the same-sex marriage debate in Massachusetts, ”the experience in other countries reveals that once these arrangements become law, there will be no live-and-let-live policy for those who differ. Gay-marriage proponents use the language of openness, tolerance, and diversity, yet one foreseeable effect of their success will be to usher in an era of intolerance and discrimination . . . Every person and every religion that disagrees will be labeled as bigoted and openly discriminated against. The ax will fall most heavily on religious persons and groups that don’t go along. Religious institutions will be hit with lawsuits if they refuse to compromise their principles.”

I’ve spent the better part of the last few years trying to figure out how gay marriage diminishes the import of my hetero marriage. I’ve mulled O’Reilly’s contention that allowing gay marriage opens the door for every possible marital combination.

Still …. what I have with my wife remains the preminant focus of my world and what others do to find their own personnal satisfaction has little or no bearing on what I share with God and my wife.

Having said that ….what Glendon chronicles will not only come to pass – it has come to pass.

The spoil sports will not be satisfied until they own the entire sand box – only by thoroughly defeating us can they ever hope to find the hollow victory they seek to fill the God sized holes in their hearts and their self esteem.

oldfiveanddimer on April 28, 2009 at 4:22 PM