JC Penney catches Hope and Change Fever

posted at 9:26 am on April 24, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

HA reader David L found himself a little stunned — and a little disgusted — by his latest JC Penney advertising insert.  It seems that the venerable retailer has decided to plunge in with both feet into the Cult of Personality.  Here’s the full page from the insert:

In case it’s not clear, here’s a close-up of most of the Obama-themed jewelry:

Hope — trademarked!  Did JC Penney check that out first with the White House?  Note that the prices don’t come down to the change level, either.

They have these pendants on their website, too.  It’s no hoax … unfortunately.

How long will it be before we start seeing these show up at entertainment-industry events, displacing the ubiquitous cause ribbons for prominent, garish, and unsettling placement?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Why not? You can get sickle-and-hammer accessories.

Tzetzes on April 24, 2009 at 4:29 PM

So much for JC Penney, as far as I’m concerned. I think I’ll cut their credit card in half and send it back with a copy of this ad.

Alana on April 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Great! Cannot shop at Kohls due to Senator Kohl and now JCPenney has this crap.

WashJeff on April 24, 2009 at 9:49 AM

From Wikipedia:

“Before his election to the Senate, Kohl helped build his family-owned business, Kohl’s grocery and department stores. He served as president from 1970 until the sale of the corporation in 1979.”

Alana on April 24, 2009 at 5:02 PM

My only disgust is that I didn’t think of this first. As a proud capitalist, I’d have been more than happy to take the money of anyone wanting to purchase one of these.

Midas on April 24, 2009 at 5:22 PM

The only solace is that the stuff looks cheap. It is a fitting reminder of how cheap this administration’s policies are. Cheap jewelry at a high price. Exactly what you would expect as a reminder of this administration.

BoomJunkie on April 24, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Times must really be tough… Can people really afford to not invest in this sure to be worth something deal?
I’ll be encouraging my libby friends to buy an extra one to hang from their car’s mirror… so that when the buyers remorse sets in, they have a cheap trinket handy to throw out the window.

RalphyBoy on April 24, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I’m sure the unions will buy a bunch.

JellyToast on April 24, 2009 at 6:47 PM

You think those rappers will make replicas MEGA-SIZED?

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Won’t shop at JC Penneys.

HornetSting on April 24, 2009 at 7:14 PM

You can buy Hope on a three-generation payment-plan.

Tzetzes on April 24, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I gots to get me some of those!

Awesome bling…yo…

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 24, 2009 at 7:32 PM

A little levity gives a much-needed break from the ceaseless bad news about this man.

DrMagnolias on April 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM

True enough, but I’m sure not getting ‘levity’ out of the vast majority of the comments. HA readers must have a funny sense of humor (pun intended).

Dark-Star on April 24, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Just what Penney needs: sales take an extra dive when the economy is down in general.
Good luck, morons and turn off the lights when you leave.

mad scientist on April 24, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I will NEVER buy another thing at J.C. Penney.

suzyk on April 24, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Nah, there’s no place to put the “hand-painted” enamel portrait of Da Boss. When they break out the pendant version though, all bets are off.

Blacksmith on April 24, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I’ll never buy another thing from Penney’s again! I think I’ll cut my Penney’s card up and mail it to them with the words “hope and change” on the envelope.

BARF!!!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 24, 2009 at 9:39 PM

speaking of change ….

Summers was against Shamulus before he was for it.

corona on April 24, 2009 at 9:49 PM

If anyone is keeping count, scratch me off the JC Penny customer list.

Zorro on April 24, 2009 at 10:16 PM

I would say that I’m not buying anything at JC Penny’s again, but….for the life of me, I can’t remember the last time I was even in one. I’m surprised they still exist.

The last few, they were run down and on the very of shutting down, or being bought by another chain (Target, Sears, etc).

$10 says that they turn green on the first drop of water. Just like Obama, looks flashy, but no substance.

CatsGodot on April 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM

You can get sickle-and-hammer accessories.

And swastikas to boot … er, jackboot.

pdigaudio on April 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

My e-mail to JC Penney Customer service.

JCPenney was recommended to me as the best place to buy window dressings. But seeing how JCPenney has now decided to to jump on polital bandwagons, I will take my business elsewhere to a retailer that does not feel the need to insult me. Let’s “HOPE” more of your customers don’t feel the same way.
Sincerely, Jim

This weekend I was going to order window dressings from JCPenney, $300.00 plus but there are lots more retailers out there. Although I live in a small town and like to support businesses that locate there I’ll take a pass on this store…………

jims on April 25, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Hope
Wish
Dream
Believe?

Oh GAG – where’s the freaking diamond encrusted unicorn?

How about a necklace that says:

Plan
Study
Work
Attain

Candy Slice on April 25, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Why not? You can get sickle-and-hammer accessories.

HOPE….

to hang capitalists!

/s

burnitup on April 25, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Obamas swastika. HopelessChange.

docdave on April 25, 2009 at 10:39 AM

It is a religion . What would you expect? Many Christians have the crucifix and many Jews have the Star of David.

Jamson64 on April 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM

yeah put it on your Penny Card. You won’t have to pay it back. Some hard working American will.

johnnyU on April 25, 2009 at 11:44 AM

johnnyU on April 25, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I love JC Penny’s but I won’t be shopping there any more!

Eyvonne on April 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Is it just me or does the Obama logo look like the camera shooting up from inside a toilet bowl at someone’s asscheeks farting out a big ball of sunshine?

Seriously the bullshit he peddled for 2 years as he american idoled the presidency would support my theory.

BillaryMcBush on April 25, 2009 at 4:14 PM

That obaama jewelry would go great with these:

Obama Toilet Seat

and these:

Obama Toilet Paper

BillaryMcBush on April 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Taking bets on which World Leader will be the first to be given one of these by either of the Obamas

- The Cat

MirCat on April 25, 2009 at 8:21 PM

P.S. Why get mad at JC Penny’s for this? All they are doing is lining their pockets with the money of liberals.

BTW, does PC Penny’s take food stamps/card thing?

- The Cat

MirCat on April 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Sure glad I don’t own stock in Penny’s. 48% voted against Obama. I’m sure more than a few of them used to shop there. I did.

davo on April 25, 2009 at 10:26 PM

“Wasn’t that dress made out of the White House Oval Office Curtains?”

Yes. She saw them in a windah and just couldn’t pass ‘em up.

/Carol Burnet

friendlygrizzly on April 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Johnny D: I will go you one better than the waffle iron.

You all know about custom ring tones for mobile phones? How about a custom dial-tone for land-lines? For only 99 cents a month, you can lift the receiver and hear the Obama dialtone!

“Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh……”

friendlygrizzly on April 26, 2009 at 1:16 PM

johnnyU on April 25, 2009 at 11:44 AM

SADD BUT OH SO TRUE

AMERICAN VETERAN on April 26, 2009 at 8:06 PM

GETTO-LIFE JEWELRY FOR EVERYONE!!

AMERICAN VETERAN on April 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Gay.

bluelightbrigade on April 27, 2009 at 8:29 AM

I used to like to shop there. Because most people don’t shop there I can get anything from there at 75% off. They have looked like they were on their last legs for years. I’d be very surprised if they survived as a chain.

Jerricho68 on April 27, 2009 at 10:17 AM