Video: Former CNN reporter says Roesgen should apologize

posted at 12:55 pm on April 22, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Danny Glover continues looking at the strange debate that Susan Roesgen initiated at the Chicago Tea Party while she was supposed to be covering it, and reports for Accuracy in Media that even her colleagues in the media think she crossed the line. Former CNN reporter Eileen O’Connor, who now trains people to work in national media, says that Roesgen owes an apology to her interview subjects for rudeness and unprofessional behavior:

A former CNN reporter who served in key national and international reporting roles today criticized the network and Chicago-based reporter Susan Roesgen for their coverage of last week’s “tea party” in Chicago.

Eileen O’Connor, who is now a Washington-based lawyer and media trainer, said Roesgen’s on-camera confrontation with two protesters “crossed a journalistic line.”

“She needs to apologize,” O’Connor said of Roesgen. “She crossed a line. She crossed a journalistic line. … She was rude to people she was interviewing. I think there’s no excuse for that.”

O’Connor makes a good point here about the rebuttal coming from Roesgen’s defenders, in essence that she got antagonistic because protesters were mean to Roesgen and uncomplimentary to CNN. First, a seasoned reporter should have expected some of that, but more to the point, O’Connor notes that journalists reporting from riots and war don’t get this indignant.  On the scale of provocations in the field, a chant of “CNN sucks” ranks pretty low.

Speaking of CNN, O’Connor also agrees that her former employers are doing everything they can to botch the response.  A simple apology for Roesgen’s unprofessionalism would have cost them nothing and ended the story.  Instead, CNN has gone into full Nixon mode, trying to kill off the video from YouTube and putting Roesgen out of reach on “vacation”.  If Roesgen was unprofessional, then CNN is being childish and self-defeating.  Maybe they should rehire O’Connor to train some of their executives.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Rude?

cons are rude to me everyday.

They should apologize too.

getalife on April 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM

C’mer, lemme kick you too.

anniekc on April 22, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Rude?

cons are rude to me everyday.

They should apologize too.

getalife on April 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM

LOL, does that explain your behavior? You get pushed around in real life, can’t stick up for yourself, so you troll an online site from the safety of your PC to get even?

Daemonocracy on April 22, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Don’t be surprised if MSNBC hires her away.

Hilts on April 22, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Maybe shes away giving an interview at another residence. WH communications director leaving

canditaylor68 on April 22, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I don’t post at dkos.
They banned me.
Too Independent.

getalife on April 22, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Truther or Hillary dead-ender? Or were you a little too transparent with the Judenhass?

rw on April 22, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Eileen O’connor seemed like she ws trying too hard to find a conservative counter to Roesgen. The Jim Cramer analogy did not work, he’s not really a reporter. The Santelli one does work, she has a point there, but it took her a while to think of it.

Journalism is basically dead as a whole. It started with subtle liberal bias, to overt liberal bias and as a response we see overt conservative bias. Objectivity is gone.

Daemonocracy on April 22, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Rude?

cons are rude to me everyday.

They should apologize too.

getalife on April 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Nobody. I repeat, “nobody” is this stupid. I am absolutely convinced that getalife is the creation of Allah or Ed.

What else could explain the nonsense and irrational gibberish this witless, naive idiot posts day in and day out – posts that elicits only ridicule, laughter, and scorn? Over and over and over again.

Nobody is this stupid. Nobody is this masochistic. Nobody is this attention-starved. Nobody is this sick.

In short, getalife has no life: it does not exist. It’s not a live troll. It’s a macroTroll. Fess up Allah.

Rod on April 22, 2009 at 2:10 PM

While Roesgen is clearly out of her depth, I am a little surprised that one of the grown-ups at CNN didn’t issue a statement indicating that 1) the reporter crossed the line, and 2) they understand the difference between reporting and opinion.

If their fear and hatred of all things Fox caused them to forget this basic principle of journalism, then their days are truly numbered.

I guess being in 3rd place does strange things to people.

Also – as an exercise in masochism – I read the comments on Roesgen on a couple of liberal sites and it was depressing. For every grownup comment, there were 30 comments saying something like “you go girl,” and “Republicans are stupid and evil.”

I think that BOTH sides need to speak up when a member of our team crosses the line. I am not sure that having a standardless free for all is good for our country. It does seem like the Repubs are the only one with standards.

johnboy on April 22, 2009 at 2:11 PM

hollygolightly on April 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Most people responding to the troll, even critically, do not seem to realize that in doing so, they are serving the troll’s cause. They might as well be trolls themselves. Some threads become so troll war full, that the topic is lost and the thread becomes unreadable.

While it is true that troll rebuttal is actually needed at times,it can be done without quoting the troll or using the troll’s name. And not everyone has to make the same rebuttal. One will do.

Many responses to trolls seem to be an unthinking reflex reactions. It’s difficult to maintain self-discipline during troll attacks. But I try to remember I am a self-disciplined conservative.

So, instead of responding, I try to return to and stay on topic, and only quote other non-trolling posters, as I did in my previous post.

Loxodonta on April 22, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Roesgen should simply be moved to a position where she does not appear on-air or be fired. Beyond the fact that she was rude and unprofessional she showed absolutely no skills as a field reporter and/or interviewer. Any high school student who studies broadcast media could see that. If you turned the sound off the video you could give her an “F” for her assignment.

mwsivt on April 22, 2009 at 2:11 PM

don’t post at dkos.
They banned me.

getalife on April 22, 2009 at 1:43 PM

That says alot about the HA ban hammer.

portlandon on April 22, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Rude?

cons are rude to me everyday.

They should apologize too.

getalife on April 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM

You are rude to cons on here….everyday. Would you pretty please apologize?

Give me a break, getalife.

Rightwingguy on April 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM

And also, it would probably be better to ignore “get a life.” He is clearly just spouting nonsense to get a reaction. Don’t take the bait.

It is funny how libs hate to be called Fascists. Remember that the Nazi party stood for “socialism.”

johnboy on April 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM

spin and try to insult our intelligence, like you do on a daily basis. just did.
Del Dolemonte on April 22, 2009 at 1:12 PM

getalife on April 22, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Ok, getaclue says she/he is intelligent? What a joke! My dog is smarter than you are. A house hold fly is smarter than you are. You have never shown intelligence on any scale.

sheebe on April 22, 2009 at 2:14 PM

We don’t need no stinking apology. What we need is to smile shyly as she drives her Dominos KIA around the neighborhood.

Limerick on April 22, 2009 at 2:15 PM

They should apologize too.

getalife on April 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM

When you act like a piece of dog shit, you get treated like one.

csdeven on April 22, 2009 at 2:16 PM

cons are rude to me everyday.
They should apologize too.
gutterlife on April 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM

You defeat the purpose of your comment, that some are rude to you, by using the word “cons”.
If you want to be treated in a manner you think you should be, perhaps you can start the ball rolling? Do unto others.
capejasmine on April 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Understand that the leftists have rationalized to themselves that there are two sets of rules.

One set is the moral relativeness of their exalted position as the Proper rulers of civil society – meaning NO RULES for them.

And a set for the rest of us.

Fake8 on April 22, 2009 at 2:18 PM

johnboy on April 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Try telling Chalres Johnson that. He somehow ignores the “socialist” portion of National Socialist and instead makes a feeble attempt to explain that “nationalist” is the operative word, meaning right wing. As if only right wingers are nationalists. Oy.

And point is taken about the troll, I usually don’t respond but I just found it’s first comment rather telling. The other time I got sucked into Troll bait was in a Sarah Palin thread, I thought for a second the critics were normal people because they were rational in other topics.

Daemonocracy on April 22, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I don’t agree that she should apologize. In order to change the arrogance of the media an example needs to be made. She should be fired for be unprofessional.

belad on April 22, 2009 at 2:20 PM

For those who want getalife to be banned…I don’t. The hero is only as good as the villain or antagonist. As long as getalife keeps his cool, then let him argue his view…I certainly don’t want this to be daily kos where if you don’t agree, you are banned. If you feel the need to post in only locations that are safe, then join a think tank of like minded people.
I dont agree with getalife, he is often a whiner and illogical…which gives everyone here easy practice on sharpening their position.

Conservative Voice on April 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Don’t you guys understand that getalife is really a staunch republican but wants to get everyone fired up by playing the devils advocate (literally)? I love it because it doesn’t allow us to get complacent. It also causes us to come up with brilliant ideas. So let getalife continue to keep the flame lit under us. It does us good!

Thanks getalife for keeping us on our brilliant toes!

Ltlgeneral64 on April 22, 2009 at 2:25 PM

johnboy on April 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Question:
Has gutalife ever informed us as to what he/she or it considers itself to be?

Fascist?
Socialist?
Marxist?
Leninist?
Statist?
Communist?

Or just plain Moron?

Fake8 on April 22, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Conservative Voice on April 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Easy practice is right. It’d be nice to have a more challenging target.

“I’d like an opportunity to shoot at an educated man for once in my life” – Gus McCrae

atheling on April 22, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Let them own land or factories as much as they please. The decisive factor is that the State, through the Party, is supreme over them, regardless of whether they are owners or workers. All that is unessential; our socialism goes far deeper. It establishes a relationship of the individual to the State … Why need we trouble to socialize banks and factories? We socialize human beings. – Adolph Hitler

OhEssYouCowboys on April 22, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Question:
Has gutalife ever informed us as to what he/she or it considers itself to be?

Fascist?
Socialist?
Marxist?
Leninist?
Statist?
Communist?

Or just plain Moron?

Fake8 on April 22, 2009 at 2:26 PM

She always proclaims to be a ‘proud independent’, not just an independent, a ‘proud independent’. We are starting to believe that she is just a computer generated gnome sent by Allah to drive us all insane. No one can be THAT stupid.

HornetSting on April 22, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Conservative Voice on April 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Which is why I think he/she is a tool provided us by Ed and or Allah.

Dee2008 on April 22, 2009 at 2:32 PM

HornetSting on April 22, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Maybe they could ‘Turn up the brightness’ a bit, so to speak.

Fake8 on April 22, 2009 at 2:36 PM

getalife on April 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM

You are going to get put in time-out, if you do not get back to class, young’un.

Johan Klaus on April 22, 2009 at 2:38 PM

CNN should apologize, publicly, personally and privately, to each interviewee that their employee harassed. Roesgen should do the same, or she will never again have any credibility as a “reporter.”

Loxodonta on April 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Good luck with that-CNN doesn’t care that she never studied journalism in the first place (she was an English major). Why should they be bothered about this?

After all, they had no problem with ignoring Saddam Hussein torturing his own citizens. This is chump change compared to that.

Del Dolemonte on April 22, 2009 at 2:39 PM

johnboy on April 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM

(German: Nationalsozialismus), the National Socialist German Workers’ Party.

Johan Klaus on April 22, 2009 at 2:42 PM

getalife…take your own advice, the “I know you are but what am I” is getting real old

Bevan on April 22, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I agree. We aren’t them. While i don’t agree with getalife, I mean how BORING would it be if we didn’t have him, Snark Vader, et al.? Getalife, I do appreciate you even if I don’t agree with you….and you’re still wrong. (Sorry, couldn’t let that get too sappy.)

Rightwingguy on April 22, 2009 at 2:47 PM

CNN has definitely tucked Miss Susan away. (I said tucked.) Out of sight, out of mind.

kingsjester on April 22, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I wonder from whom Roesgen learn her aggressive interview mannerism. Matthews? Olberman? Many of the talking heads on national tv media use the same caustic tones with their interview subjects.

docdave on April 22, 2009 at 2:51 PM

If Roesgen was unprofessional, then CNN is being childish and self-defeating.

Not giving them enough credit, they aren’t being childish, that was her assignment.

broker1 on April 22, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Personally, I think Roesgen did us all a favor. Every once in while the mask slips from the “unbiased” media and we catch a glimpse of the rancid ideology that drives them. Too often that fleeting, unintentional glimpse is deniable, or at least ambiguous enough that it can be rationalized away.

Not this time. Roesgen simply ripped the curtain aside. Her behavior made any explanation or excuse ludicrous, even to their defenders. The clarity of exactly who and what they are is refreshing.

CNN’s ham-handed defense of her behavior seals the deal.

cruadin on April 22, 2009 at 2:57 PM

ED – didn’t FNC people get threatened with violence, besides the typical slanders, when they covered the anti-W protesters? I recall a hearing that a few times.

budfox on April 22, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Yeah, AP, fess up…….

Janos Hunyadi on April 22, 2009 at 3:13 PM

budfox on April 22, 2009 at 3:10 PM

And didn’t Michelle actually get physically roughed up at the Dem’s convention? If I remember right, she seemed pretty unfazed, and her response was along the lines of, “I’m a big girl, I can take it.” Poor little Susan could learn a lot from Michelle.

Dee2008 on April 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Loxodonta on April 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 22, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I agree with you. In some ways, their attempted cover-up, silence and rationals hurt them even more. And that’s fine with me.

Loxodonta on April 22, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Poor little Susan could learn a lot from Michelle.

Dee2008 on April 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM

She could…but she won’t.

Snowed In on April 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM

She already did her damage in the Jenna 6 case. Cmmunist New NetworkN thought they could send their bulldog to start some trouble with the t-parties. Now she’s beign hidden by the politburo.

Sorry wench not this time me thinks your toast

Burgher on April 22, 2009 at 4:13 PM

First, a seasoned reporter should have expected some of that from the unwashed masses, but more to the point, O’Connor notes that journalists reporting from riots and war and gatherings of conservatives

don’t get this indignant

peacenprosperity on April 22, 2009 at 5:17 PM

don’t get this indignant should know how to handle the rabble

peacenprosperity on April 22, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Maybe they should rehire O’Connor to train some of their executives.

Well you’re talking professionalism, which eliminates CNN from the get-go.

GarandFan on April 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Oh my, a journalist with integrity. Momentarily restores my faith in the profession.

sherry on April 22, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Watch it again. She was taking the position that the people at the tea party were just an angry mob and the reporter lost her cool. I’d bet nearly everyone here thought cramer shamefully humiliated himself letting that daily show propagandist abuse him. She thought it was great and was how cramer needed to serve his penance. She’s only pissed because she thinks the cnn reporter gave the cretins some ammo to work with.

peacenprosperity on April 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I wonder how bad CNNs rating would be if they didn’t have a monopoly on almost every airport and hotel TV in the nation. A DISTANT 3rd for sure.

JetBlast on April 22, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Rude?

cons are rude to me everyday.

They should apologize too.

getalife on April 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM

If you’re as rude and stupid in meat-world as you are here, well, no wonder.

Greg Toombs on April 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

It seems to me that people who leave CNN have brain thaw, as opposed those who work there, who have brain freeze.

This makes sense.

madmonkphotog on April 22, 2009 at 8:18 PM

cons are rude to me everyday.

They should apologize too.

getalife on April 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I’m sorry that you’re a hateful, pathetic excuse for a human being.

Feel better?

malclave on April 22, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Roesgen = Nixon – Disapproval

Jim Treacher on April 22, 2009 at 11:21 PM

It’s been a long time since CNN has shot one its own in the foot, or had to have theirs surgically removed from one of their bodily orifices.

It is perhaps more responsible reporting to have citizens just ask the questions and post them to sites like HA so the public can make up their own minds about the topic presented.

MSGTAS on April 23, 2009 at 9:33 AM