Coulter eulogizes her mother

posted at 9:54 pm on April 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

An affecting read on a slow news night, for the same reason that Salon piece by Rush Limbaugh’s cousin was so affecting: It shows us what a partisan warrior looks like when their armor is off.

When she began her final decline last fall, she had to go to her Connecticut doctor without me to find out what was wrong. This was the first time she didn’t seem to be getting better after a chemo treatment.

So I had been worrying about her appointment all day, but when I called her that night, she immediately turned the subject to me and asked me how my book was going.

I insisted on knowing if she had seen the doctor and she perked up and brightly told me that, oh yes, she had seen him, he had all my books in his office, he was worried about Obama, too, and he has such beautiful children!

Before she launched into a spirited discussion of his children’s extracurricular activities and triumphs on the athletic field, I had to ask her, “Mommy, did the doctor happen to say anything about why you’re feeling lousy?”

It turned out, of course, that it was the ovarian cancer — as well as the massive amounts of poison she had been receiving to kill the cancer over the past five years. That was the beginning of the end.

She wrote a similar eulogy for her father last year — and was mocked for it by the Huffington Post. I wonder how much hate mail she’ll get for this one.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Beautiful and touching, just like the subject of the eulogy.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on April 22, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Dear Ann Coulter:

I wish you and your family the best. My prayers are with you-
God bless you and look forward to seeing you on the TV circuit.

hawkman on April 22, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Ann Coulter has the ability to irritate me, not unlike many folks in the world (I’m a curmudgeon.. so what, wanna fight about it? :) ) but the eulogy she wrote for her mother was the first time she brought me to tears. The love she had for her mother was clear in every word. I hope she manages to find some peace in those words.

This was one of the most touching, heart-felt pieces I’ve ever read. I just hope the libs can stop sniping long enough to recognize it. Somehow I doubt it, but one can hope.

As for the piece about Rush, I thought it was a nice piece as well right up until the end. Then, as is usually the case with libs, Ms. Limbaugh managed to completely ruin the feeling she’d created.

As far as I can tell, Ms. Limbaugh is just as vicious, spiteful and nuts about the lib Messiah as the rest of them and is using her relationship with Rush as a way to show that even relatives of someone as “wrong” as Rush know how screwed up his beliefs are.

I found it pathetic and sad and any sympathy I might have felt for her “suffering” went straight out the window with one line:

“… but it seems that Rush is no longer just playing the political game he plays so well. Rather, he has been attacking hope, and now it feels like there’s little room for that.”

Her cousin is NOT “attacking” hope. He is simply attempting to drag this woman and those who think like her back to some semblance (sorry if I spelled that wrong) of sanity by pointing out the absolutely NUTSO manner in which you have embraced the man who now lives in the White House.

And the fact that those on the left feel comfortable attacking a eulogy written by someone about a beloved parent says a whole lot about the left in general. As does Ms. Limbaugh’s willingness to use her cousin’s fame to jump on the “conservatives are mean” bandwagon. The only people in this country playing “games” right now are libs. The sad thing is they’ve played these games so well they’ve managed to convince more than half of the country that an inept, unqualified, ignorant and inexperienced man is the best leader this country has ever had.

Mad Mad Monica on April 22, 2009 at 11:45 PM

on a slow news night

?
Daily Hourly attacks on the Constitution from the corrupt Congress & the TOTUS means there’s never a dull moment. Eternal vigilence!

jgapinoy on April 22, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Ann’s compassion, intellect and fallibility speak to all of us as we travel the same road, yet our recollection of sights, sounds and memories are unique. Those that chose to exploit this universally shared experience as an opportunity to chastise Ann reveal themselves to be damaged beyond repair and in need of realizing their parents failed miserably in preparing them for life.

God bless Ann, your mom was proud to have called you her daughter.

dmann on April 22, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Lord comfort Ann, her brothers and their wives in this time of sorrow. They can be comforted in the fact that their mother has re-joined the love of her life in the Glory of Your Kingdom.
Also comfort nice343 in the misery that it finds it’s self in continually.

thomasaur on April 22, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Agreed

- The Cat

MirCat on April 22, 2009 at 11:48 PM

What a lovely eulogy. My condolences to Ann.

INC on April 22, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Condolences to Ann.

PierreLegrand on April 22, 2009 at 11:49 PM

God bless you Ann for always being a true patriot. I will keep you & your mom in my prayers.

redridinghood on April 22, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Puritan nonconformists

Beautiful.

Kralizec on April 22, 2009 at 11:54 PM

God Bless you woman. My wife and I have followed your comments and pointed conservative invective for years.

We have lost all of our parents in the last few years. Consider yourself adopted by us. You are now Ann Coulter Boyd.

marcboyd on April 22, 2009 at 11:55 PM

It shows us what a partisan warrior looks like when their her armor is off.

Reminds me of a scene from The Queen in which the proud, dignified, stiff-upper-lip monarch finds herself alone in the wilderness, & she surprises herself & us by shedding some tears.

jgapinoy on April 23, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Healing beams, Annie!

I lost my mom to colon cancer almost 2 years ago (May 2007).

In her case it went to her liver, and it was all over. Thankfully her final battle only lasted 4 days and she was never in any pain.

We can all set a better example by eating better, which means cutting back on red meats and eating veggies, and also by regular screening.

Del Dolemonte on April 23, 2009 at 12:10 AM

My sincerest condonlences to Ann and her family. I have some pretty nifty relatives up there that I hope greeted Mrs Coulter with open arms.

sybilll on April 23, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Puritan nonconformists

Beautiful.

Kralizec on April 22, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I caught that too. I need to read more of their work. There is so much.

daesleeper on April 23, 2009 at 12:24 AM

My most sincere condolences, Ann.

If you ever wanna talk to us around here, even if it is about just your folks, don’t hesitate. You’re very welcome!

newton on April 23, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Condolences to Ann and family.

Sekhmet on April 23, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Anybody who snipes at Ann in her loss vacuums roosters cheaply in the airport mens’ room. It’s not easy to lose a parent. Much less both of them.

Sekhmet on April 23, 2009 at 12:34 AM

“… and He will raise you up on eagle’s wings…” was sung at my mother’s funeral and again six months later (to the day) when my father could take no more of life without her and passed on after surgery. The day he died (and despite the fact that I was old enough to have children of my own) I truly felt like an orphan. My prayers and sympathy to Ann and her family. I have always admired her. And tonight, I feel her pain.

NightmareOnKStreet on April 23, 2009 at 12:42 AM

God bless Ann.

29Victor on April 23, 2009 at 12:45 AM

I’m so sad for Anne’s loss. Even the most ferocious warrior sometimes arrives at moments when the armor and sword are almost too heavy to bear. It sounds as if Anne’s mother gifted her with both tough skin and a gentle heart. Both are important, but the latter is what gives us the strength to make it through times of loss, because it helps us understand that our lost ones are not impatient for us to join them. Love brings an end to grief, with the knowledge that those who have passed on do not hover over this life, listening for the sound of our tears.

I lost my own mother very suddenly, less than two months after September 11th. I traveled a great deal for business at the time, and she didn’t know if I was flying that day. When I got through to her and let her know I was all right, I heard something in her voice that went beyond relief, and ascended to pure joy. Mortal men and women rarely achieve that quality; it is the speech of angels. Eight weeks later she was gone, without a moment of fear or pain. I owe the Author of the universe a great debt, for writing the end of her story that way.

My mom had her children late in life, but I got to spend thirty-six years with her… and it wasn’t enough. Eternity is not enough time to contain the full measure of love, between children and their parents, husbands and wives, or true friends. No moment stretches on long enough, and the seasons and years are too brief, no matter how many of them we have together… but we have this to look forward to: when our time is done, and we embrace our loved ones again in the higher places where they wait for us, all the lonely years we spent without them will compress into an instant of fading memory, and we will count them a small price to pay for being together again.

Rest in peace, Mrs. Coulter.

Doctor Zero on April 23, 2009 at 12:54 AM

Doctor Zero on April 23, 2009 at 12:54 AM

Eloquently put.

PBoilermaker on April 23, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Something in the air here.. my eyes are watering up..

DaveC on April 23, 2009 at 1:10 AM

Doctor Zero on April 23, 2009 at 12:54 AM
Eloquently put.

PBoilermaker on April 23, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Lonevoice on April 23, 2009 at 1:26 AM

My prayers go out to your mother Ann Coulter, but rejoice in the fact that she is in heaven with her husband now.

I love your books too Ann, I’ve got four of them sitting on the shelf right above this very computer, the others are on another shelf somewhere.

Vegi on April 23, 2009 at 2:31 AM

Ann Coulter = Bold and thoughtful; Julie Limbaugh = spineless and brattish.

Bluehanky on April 23, 2009 at 2:45 AM

I don’t care who you are – Left, Center or Right – cancer is something I won’t wish on anyone.

I lost my nephew to cancer 2 years ago. He was only 14.

Over the next several weeks, the American Cancer Society is holding its Relay for Life event. I hope everyone can participate.

May God bless you Ann.

GT on April 23, 2009 at 3:37 AM

Losing ones parents through death is one of the most difficult situations that everyone gets to experience. Mine are gone too so with Ann I share the sorrow of their departure.

docdave on April 23, 2009 at 3:50 AM

“Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.”
-Shakespeare.

God bless you, Ann. My condolences.

TheQuestion on April 23, 2009 at 4:37 AM

I’ve lost both parents too. It changes your perspective for sure. Bless you Ann, but thank God you have your faith to get you through the tough times.

ctmom on April 23, 2009 at 6:56 AM

o/t a great movie about faith is Facing The Giants. Watched it last night, even the teenagers were paying attention!

ctmom on April 23, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Dear Ann,
May GOD bless and keep your departed mother. May GOD bless and comfort you in this time of sorrow and loss.
I lost my mother 25 years ago to cancer. She fought it for 6 years. I pray for those that suffer from this disease, I pray for their families as well.

mountainmanbob on April 23, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Yes, an affecting read for sure. Sincere condolences Ann…

Eternal rest grant unto her O Lord,
And let perpetual Light shine upon her.
May her soul
And the souls of all the faithful departed
Through the mercy of God
Rest in peace.
Amen.

Zorro on April 23, 2009 at 7:01 AM

God bless you and comfort you, Ann.

labwriter on April 23, 2009 at 7:03 AM

May God hold you and your family close during this time, Ann.

You are in my prayers.

Daddy-O on April 23, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Ann, I’ve lost both of my parents too. Yours have left behind a daughter they could truly be proud of! God bless.

DanaSmiles on April 23, 2009 at 7:33 AM

Darn that cancer! I hate it! Took my mom’s life too, 12 years ago. When you lose a mother, no matter the circumstances it is a lifechanging experience that you take years to recover. And, there is not a single day that I don’t think of her. She may be with me in Spirit but still, not the same.

My deepest condolences to Ann and her immediate family, that the Lord give her strength–I am sure her mom was prepared to leave but was disguising it to Ann so she would’nt suffer. My mom did that with me too.

You become a nurse, a confidant, messenger, you learn how to administer IV’s, a cook…and even you have to grab your dad from being away chatting with guys, and drag him back to the house.

Cancer breaks families in ways that are unexplainable. Hope that it does not happen to any of you.

xoxo PPF

ProudPalinFan on April 23, 2009 at 7:36 AM

God bless and keep you, Ann. Condolences for the loss of your precious mom.

unwashed minion on April 23, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Conservative women, blacks, hispanics, gays are fair game for the rabid left and their friends in the MSM.

RobCon on April 23, 2009 at 7:49 AM

God bless you Ann, I just wish I could express in words how I feel for your loss. Her mother reminds me of my grandmother. When supporting America was cool.

Alex Martinez on April 23, 2009 at 8:08 AM

My condolences on your loss, Ann.

Physics Geek on April 23, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Dear Ann Coulter,

My wife and I stand with you through prayer in this time of personal grief.

We love you, we love you, we love you and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Tom and Kay

jarhead0311 on April 23, 2009 at 8:45 AM

May God bless you, Ann.

ladyingray on April 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Hearing of her loss makes me very sad for her. Moms are superior beings. I lost mine 13 years ago this week and it’s only just a little bit easier now than it was when she passed. Bless you in your time of grief, Ms. Coulter.

scalleywag on April 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM

God Bless, Ms.Coulter. Losing one’s mother is about the hardest family loss there is.

Dark-Star on April 23, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Ok, I gotta get out of here, reading all these comments from those who have faced such a loss is just a little much and I can’t lose it here in my office. Besides, I’m afraid getalife is going to come in here and make some snippy comment that will drive me over the edge.

God bless you all!

scalleywag on April 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM

That was a beautiful tribute, Ann. Thoughts and prayers go out for you and the family today. God bless.

latinchic on April 23, 2009 at 9:34 AM

I lost my mother September 30, 2001 and my father 8 months later. It was the hardest thing I’ve had to endure. My heart goes out to her and may God be with her during this most difficult time.

tnmama on April 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

May God Bless Ann and her family at this time.

Doug on April 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I am sorry for her loss.

Mr. Joe on April 23, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I fitting tribute. Ann’s way with words made her mom come to life in my mind’s eye.

I’m truelly sorry for her lose.

JohnnyD on April 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Dear Ann,

I wish I had met your mom. Your mom sounds just like my mom who went to be with the Lord in 1989. Now they are both with Jesus.

Prayers for healing your sadness…

Traffic Cop Timmy on April 23, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I’m certainly not a Coulter fan, but she has my most sincere sympathies. I know what it’s like to watch a family member die of cancer.

Vic on April 23, 2009 at 10:31 AM

God bless Ann & her family. They will be in my prayers.

thegreatbeast on April 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I lost my motehr just this January, and I can honestly say nothing in the world hurts more than the pain of losing a mother. Reading this eulogy made me burst into tears in the middle of my office, but it also brings comfort by making me focus on all the good my mother and I lived through together. I am sorry for your loss Ann and my heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

Joey1974 on April 23, 2009 at 10:38 AM

I lost my Mom the same way, Ms. Coulter. My condolences for your Mom and your words were very touching.

hawkdriver on April 23, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Blessings, Ann. I wish I had met your mother.

NebCon on April 23, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Dear Ann:

I’am so sorry for your loss. I wish you and your family the best. My prayers are with you-

God bless you!

Deacon on April 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Many prayers for the whole Coulter family at their time of loss.

Ann, your mother continues to be proud of you, as are us fellow conservatives.

ProudinNC on April 23, 2009 at 11:44 AM

May God’s grace surround you and protect you in your time of sorrow…

Wyznowski on April 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Hotair is suffering from some premature outrage-ulation.

Dave Rywall on April 22, 2009 at 10:50 PM

That’s because we’re able to store memories and can remember what happened just a year ago. That anyone would insult a woman at this time is disgusting. I’m actually very happy it hasn’t happened here. I know many people don’t like Ann.

For myself, she started out as a guilty pleasure when I was angry and needed someone to vent for me. Then, it got to be a bit much, but as Tanya said, she’s a very gifted writer, so she’s never completely lost me as a fan.

And this eulogy… I try not to imagine what it would be like to lose my mother. Ann certainly did right by hers. It was beautiful and nearly made me cry more than once.

Esthier on April 23, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Sad and sweet. I miss my mother’s face, too.

McKenz59 on April 23, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I am so sorry for your loss Ann. I’m dealing with the same right now so your words really touch home. My condolences.

oakpack on April 23, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Reading this made me call my parents, have a long conversation with each, and let them know I loved them and how much they meant to me.

Life is so short.