Geraldo: Impeach Rick Perry for his secessionist chatter!

posted at 4:05 pm on April 17, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via RCP, a communique from the newest addition to NBC’s reality series, “I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!” (Yes, really.) Why, he’s so mad he could spit.

I share his contempt for this whining nonsense, premised as it is on Perry’s spite at his side having lost a fair election, but why the urge to purge with impeachment? If this is as grievous a sin as Geraldo says, Texans can simply vote the guy out. He’s surely right about Perry cynically gaming this to fend off a challenge from Kay Bailey Hutchison, but while secession bravado might help in the primary with the 18 percent who support it, he’ll pay in the general when the Democrats start launching attack ads aimed at the other 82.

Anyway, no need to get exercised about it. After all, according to Hillary, Texas is already its own country.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I thought Geraldo was taken out by Navy Seal snipers in Iraq?

Erich66 on April 17, 2009 at 7:25 PM

That’s a personal property tax, to you, bud. Get it right.

/sarc

Can you cross the border to Tennessee? We don’t do that here…

ladyingray on April 17, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Might be worth the effort. They also ask you on your state return to report any purchases you’ve made online. They want to collect on that too I think (memory is hazy, been a year since I filed). ALSO, you have to buy a county sticker for your car in case you ever want to use the dump.

scalleywag on April 17, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Just keep talking Geraldo, the more you open your becaterpllared mouth the more support you will generate for Texas secession and for Rick Perry.

Ars Moriendi on April 17, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Geraldo…about as deep a well of common sense and fairness as Garofalo….

I must say, though, that Gov. Perry — a pasty-faced suit before this rather provocative utterance — is on somewhat shaky ground. The Texas constitution has changed since annexation (1876), and that during a time not receptive to secession. So, other than the over-arching ethic of “government of the people” being changed by the people to suit their current needs, secession is — sadly — not explicitly legal.

…but, then again, it’s an option, in the long-term, and not either explicitly or implicitly “treason”, as either Mr. Lincoln or Mr. Rivera would maintain. At the Hartford Convention of 1814, the idea of the New England states seceeding was batted around…and I, for one, am sorry that they didn’t take the plunge. Anti-slavery folks (Garrison among them?) contemplated it, so’s they wouldn’t be tainted by having to live cheek-to-jowl with slave owners.

…so, it’s not a new option.

So, maybe Mr. Rivera should cut-back on the caffeine and crack the occasional book.

Asking Gerry Rivera’s opinion is like throwing a bucket into a septic tank…what’d you think you were going to get when the reeled the bucket back in?

Puritan1648 on April 17, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Who cares what that idiot thinks. Every time I see him on Fox News I change the channel.

In his heart of hearts he’d prefer that Texas become part of Mexico.

darwin-t on April 17, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Could someone please label the Hairball of Righteousness with a sign stating “This End Up”? Waste matter appears to spew from both ends, making one end indistinguishable from the other.

ol

oldleprechaun on April 17, 2009 at 7:51 PM

maybe Mr. Rivera should cut-back on the caffeine and crack

Okay, NOW that makes sense…

oldleprechaun on April 17, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Why does Geraldo care if Texas secedes? I mean, national borders are just there to be ignored.

Grayson on April 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Maybe that’s just it. He might be worried (and with good reason) that as a buffer state nation, Texas might do things differently with regard to its illegal immigration.

On a serious note, anyone who believes as Geraldo does about what Perry said does not understand:

what federalism is
that federalism is explicitly the intent of our Founders
his invocation of the 10th was only a reminder of this fact
he does not endorse secession

In fact, if he is even talking about Perry’s remarks one should assume he heard it in its entirety. I know, strange concept. In the very same speech he even speaks out against making that kind of move. It was only a protest of the federal government’s encroachment on state sovereignty.

anuts on April 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM

having lost a fair election

Which election was that?

At any rate, Perry didn’t even “threaten” anyway. He teasingly mentioned the state’s rights if things keep getting worse.

RightWinged on April 17, 2009 at 8:20 PM

@AP – you still don’t get it. Perry is simply playing the part of Paul Revere in these sound bites, he’s the voice of millions of Texans who are fed up of the expansive Federal Government trying to strip every last vestige of power away from our states. His call isn’t for Texans to rise up and move our state back towards a sovereign nation, he’s warning politicians in Washington (and I’m afraid this goes double for our state senators Hutchinson and Cornyn) that if they continue down this path the people of this nation and especially Texas will not stand for it.
As for that ridiculous poll, and how this “might” hurt Perry in the upcoming election… I wouldn’t worry about it. Perry has the support of more Texans now than before and Hutchinson is only getting support in the polls from Democrats crossing over. Wait until the election and if Perry can start following through with his rhetoric (no more all hat no cattle) you’ll see how much this resonates with the Lone Star State.

smfoushee on April 17, 2009 at 5:00 PM

smfoushee: excellent analysis. You cut through all of the nonsense and emotional hype. Governor Perry is simply expressing the frustration that many Texans have been experiencing for many years now. I know, I am a Texan.

Larry L. Sharp on April 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM

While it’s probably true that only 18% support the idea of secession, about 75% of native Texans love to throw it out there and say “you know if Washington and the rest of the country really start screwing things up and forcing their will on us, we can always secede” If for no other reason because it drives yankees crazy.

Perry knows this and yes it is a political ploy on his part. And a damn effective one too.

conservnut on April 17, 2009 at 8:23 PM

The Texans can secede if they take California with them.

patriette on April 17, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Not no, but
HELL NO!

carbon_footprint on April 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I was just about to say this and then I saw that you did. LOL!

The People’s Republic of California can continue it’s socialist experiment if it wants, but many of it’s people would move here to Texas under those circumstances. (However, those would probably be replaced by the (then) non-existent southern border, at least until they leave once California becomes no better than Mexico in about fifty years.)

Theophile on April 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM

I thought Geraldo was taken out by Navy Seal snipers in Iraq?

Erich66 on April 17, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I thought Geraldo was taken out by Michelle Malkin on Fox News.

Christian Conservative on April 17, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Geraldo needs to do a little homework before he opens his filthy piehole. Try reading their state constitution, they can secede if they so choose.

Viper1 on April 17, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Geraldo, there is a vault to be opened up somewhere….Go find it.

Tim Burton on April 17, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I thought Geraldo was taken out by Navy Seal snipers in Iraq?

Almost. His ‘stache bravely threw itself in the path of the bullet, deflecting it and saving Geraldo’s mouth. Luckily, it’s thick enough that it survived, spent about 6 months in intensive care, and came back to occupy that proud perch.

It’s really a touching story. I’ll have to create a link…

karl9000 on April 17, 2009 at 8:36 PM

I say we need to impeach Geraldo for impersonating a journalist.

Hawthorne on April 17, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Geraldo citing vague references to secession is treason?
I thought treason was more like revealing troop locations and movements on camera during wartime…

I must be thinking about a different Geraldo.

LexisTexas2 on April 17, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Hey sleazy guy…be sure and draw a map in the sand of Texas’s position, so that Janet and you can take credit for the insurgents….(Iraq troops are still thanking you)

P.S. You are never welcome in Texas, please stay in the blue state that you have helped to create.

nondhimmie on April 17, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Maybe we’ll get lucky and the hurricane will take him all the way over the wall this year.

anniekc on April 17, 2009 at 9:04 PM

In the words of that great American, Congressman David Crockett, “You all can go to Hell. I’m going to Texas!”

Spike72AFA on April 17, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Rick Perry has two words for Geraldo: “Adios Mofo”

semitough on April 17, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Impeach him? Hell, I almost want him to put secession up for a vote. I would be really tempted to vote yes. Texas gets a great deal more right than the federal government does.

SimplyKimberly on April 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I wonder after Geraldo passes, will the family donate that ‘mustache’ to science?

HornetSting on April 17, 2009 at 10:21 PM

A man who thinks that people from other countries don’t have to obey our immigration laws is attacking Perry?…

Rose on April 17, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Yes, great point. Here is my suggestion, on the next ballot Texans should have a choice, either:

A) Texas succeeds from the Union, or

B) Texas bars Geraldo from ever stepping foot in their state again.

Either way, it’s a win-win.

unwashed minion on April 17, 2009 at 10:22 PM

*succeeds s/b secedes

unwashed minion on April 17, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Geraldo just doesn’t understand where its coming from. Beck does, its a nationalism kind of thing.

Us Texans think know we’re King $h!7, but so do New Yorkers, and people from Philly, etc. So its why we say and believe the stuff that Rick Perry said.

I obviously would vote against secession, America and Texas really do go together like Brisket and Barbecue sauce. Although secession might actually help us secure our own border.

bombos on April 17, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I’m all for secession, heck I’ve even considered declaring my property a sovereign nation if this BS in Washington keeps going the way it has. As for the Stache…all I can say is after spewing his crap about impeaching Perry (and I’m not overly fond of Perry) let Geraldo lead the charge down here to do it. Just like the fools who keep calling for charges to be brought against Bush, they are more than welcome to come down HERE AND TRY TO ARREST either Perry or Bush, and they may pull it off…after I run out of ammunition.

They better think, because we meant that little ad campaign a few years ago…Don’t Mess With Texas. We might decide to turn off the electricity to over 1/3 of the rest of the country.

BadMojo on April 17, 2009 at 11:14 PM

The man is a perfect ASS. Why doesn’t FOX get rid of this guy? I turn the channel every time he comes on. I LOATHE him. I would say something harsher, but I contain myself.

argos on April 17, 2009 at 11:27 PM

OK I am a Texan and I can tell you this much most kids in Texas are raised with the belief that Texas can secede from the U.S. and I promise at any given time at least 10 % of the population is in favor of it and its not the same 10 % on any given day and there is a reason why once you get outside the S—HOLES that are Houston Dallas and the like and get into the real Texas they call anyone one from north of the Red damned Yankees and yes they do

Aggie95 on April 18, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Gawd I miss Texas. I had the privilege to live there twice (78 to 82 and again 2003 to 2006). Wonderful times. First time in Fort Worth, second time in Austin, out in Canyon Country. I love how Texans think and act. I love the old fashioned gentlemenly chivalry that exists there. I also appreciate how pretty the gals make themselves up to be when they are out in public. In CA, the women all look like plastic barbie dolls. In Texas, the same level of beauty is actually real beauty. Hard to explain, you have to live there to know what I am talking about. The cowboy hats, the boots, and the DON’T TREAD ON ME!!! mentality that permeates the air there. Love the state. I would love to move back some day.

My closest friend when I lived there is very well connected in the Republican party. Her husband served in Bush’s state cabinet and was almost picked for a very important position in DC. She and her husband have dinner frequently with the Perry’s even now. However, I never had the privilege to meet either of them while I lived there. It would have been really fun (she went to the Bush wedding, Jenna was really close to her kids).

Good times, good memories. While property taxes are somewhat higher than CA and MI, other states I have lived in recently, the no income tax is great.

One other really great thing about Texas is how the state legislature only has an official session every other year. The rest of the time they GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Every state needs to adopt that system. If something comes up, the governor calls them back for a short session to address whatever and then they GO HOME AGAIN!!!!!! Wish Congress would just be in session a few days every other year. We would be so much better off.

karenhasfreedom on April 18, 2009 at 1:50 AM

If I saw Geraldo I would spit in his face.

Livefreeordie on April 18, 2009 at 1:52 AM

If I saw Geraldo I would ask him what he really found in Al Capones vault! And, if Texas seceded I would move there in a hearbeat (if I could get a Visa that is). Living in CA is a real drag (no pun intended), especially if you are straight, married, and a taxpayer. Maybe I should be proactive and move there now. Get across the TX border before the barriers go up. Hopefully Prop 1A will fail and I can make it to retirement then TX here I come (with or without this CA born wife of mine).

Bluehanky on April 18, 2009 at 2:23 AM

*sigh*Who cares what Gerry says on such matters.

Benjamin9 on April 18, 2009 at 7:42 AM

Let’s not forget what happened to Geraldo the last time he was in Texas — knocked on his a$$!

Roll the footage…

Link

eanax on April 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM

geraldo please crawl back under your rock ,rick perry’s right america is becoming a socialist country,you liberal reporters love it.to me you are a communist.to rick perry i say when you need people to move to texas call me.i for one love texas .

wade underhile on April 18, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I don’t mean to throw a chair at Geraldo, but it is simply a Texas thing. Geraldo never recognizes the patois before he judges.

Anyway, how many other states can fly their colors at the same height as Old Glory? Check the details of the contract before you pass judgement on Texas.

ericdijon on April 18, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Shut up Geraldo. Your an irrelevant idiot.

tx2654 on April 18, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Geraldo: Impeach Rick Perry for his secessionist chatter!

Geraldo should have stayed at, and was more at home at MSNBC. Since coming to FOX, he’s been a disingenuous left wing political hack. On every controversial issue, he takes the left side. He really belongs with Pissy Crissy, and Keith Overbite.

byteshredder on April 18, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Is Geraldo guilty of LEFT wing hate speech for his despicable charge against Perry? Don’t mess with TEXAS Geraldo!

Never see the phrase left wing hate speech but it has a nice ring to it.

Herb on April 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Please don’t approve Geraldo’s passport to visit Texas.

on fire on April 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Geraldo. when has a name ever garnered the laughs and eye rolls that Geraldo’s does.
(‘clinton’ aside of course)

Handel on April 18, 2009 at 7:07 PM

In truth, I am quite tired of Pancho Villa Junior. He’s got a bad case of hoof in mouth disease. The mere fact that Pancho brings this up proves to me he gets his information second-hand. Perry never mentioned secession and if Junior had actually watched the tape before he opened his big fat yap, he might not be looking like such a complete idiot. I think Perry should threaten Obama with dividing into five states and having ten Senators come to Washington DC. That could be fun. Or imagine what might happen if Texas seceeded? Obama might order an attack by the military and they might refuse! Then what? More secessions by other states? Federal government powerless to stop it? The Feds get taken down a few notches? States once again have the power they were granted by the Constitution? Its interesting to think about.

gordo on April 18, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Geraldo? wtf does he know anyway.

Most of the 10th amendment “secession” bills just call for a letter to be delivered to the President… and that’s it. Wow.

I’ll be going to my district and state GOP convention and will support the bill, but I’m not expecting anything more than empty rhetoric to come from it even if it passes.

popularpeoplesfront on April 18, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Geraldo is now saying this comment by Perry undermines the entire tea party effort. He has Huckabee on his show on Fox tonite. Hucakbee is telling him those dots don’t connect. Too funny that 2 NON Texans are talking about Perry’s political future in Texas.

karenhasfreedom on April 19, 2009 at 1:27 AM