Audio: Glenn Beck responds to Rick Sanchez blaming Fox for Pittsburgh cop-killings

posted at 7:10 pm on April 17, 2009 by Allahpundit

I listened to this a few days ago, forgot about it, then remembered it again after Sanchez posted something this afternoon on Twitter about MM supposedly having called him an idiot. She hadn’t — or at least, not recently. Turns out one of her commenters had and somehow a Google News alert picked it up; true to CNN form, he didn’t bother checking with her before making the accusation. (He later apologized, then in response to another comment more or less called her a hater.) If you missed his casual smear last week that Fox News “no doubt” influenced the Jew-hating nut who shot those cops in Pittsburgh, watch that before listening to this. Beck himself doesn’t do much talking: It’s mostly one of his staffers, aghast at the irony of being blamed for people’s deaths by a guy who actually has killed someone.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Honestly, when reading his blog I see more talk of conspiracy groups and theories than I do when watching Glenn Beck. It is all he talks about! Birchers, Paulians, Creationists…oh my.

Daemonocracy on April 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Although I don’t want to break up the hawk/Cindy/Lox convo, I just thought that this deserved a +1

Tacitus_SGL on April 17, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Loxodonta on April 17, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Good grief, I am a talent. I like to strike through things to. I was just trying to answer two people at once. It’s probably a rude thing to do in the blogsphere.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Tacitus_SGL on April 17, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Oppsie, off thread, sorry.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2009 at 9:51 PM

*Google News Alert*

CNN’s Rick Sanchez is an idiot! A biased idiot ‘reporter’ who works for a biased network!

I apoligize if I’ve offended CNN’s three viewers…..

CNN: “We’re LAST place for a reason”

TN Mom on April 17, 2009 at 9:54 PM

hawkdriver on April 17, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I know Smuzinick was drunk as well that night. And that may well have contributed to his death. It still doesn’t excuse Sanchez behavior that night or afterwards.

As to Cindy’s suggestion about remembering you, I think Hot Air members needs to remember all our fine men and women who are serving our country in the armed forces overseas, at least once in a while.

Loxodonta on April 17, 2009 at 9:57 PM

hawkdriver on April 17, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Safe travels.

DrSteve on April 17, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Loxodonta on April 17, 2009 at 9:57 PM

+ a million

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Loxodonta on April 17, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I agree completely about Sanchez.

I know you guys are remembering, you won’t have say anything.

hawkdriver on April 17, 2009 at 10:01 PM

DrSteve on April 17, 2009 at 9:59 PM

thx

hawkdriver on April 17, 2009 at 10:05 PM

hawkdriver on April 17, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I know I won’t have to say anything.

I want to express my gratitude.

So please stop trying to stop us and take your compliments and honors like a man.

Loxodonta on April 17, 2009 at 10:07 PM

as if being an alcoholic, weeping, ranting, creationist

Ummm for one of those accusations I can pretty safely say that if Beck is a Mormon, and he is I think. He is not a “creationist” in the sense of a theory someone has come up with and is promoting to be taught in school.

Mormons do believe that the entire universe was created. But our doctrine on the subject is found in 4 sources we consider scripture not only the Genesis version and is different from other Christians in many respects. We are not nearly as hostile to evolution as most religions I think. At least I learned evolution at BYU.

Does this person Charles just hate people who believe in God and that God is the author and creator of all things or is it the specific “creationism” I’ve heard about.

Anyway that point about Beck is not valid I think.

petunia on April 17, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Daemonocracy on April 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM

What do you think happened to him? His was the first blog I had ever gone to. I was never a commenter and in truth left because the conversations were always about the same thing. It sounds like he will soon be one of those “conservatives” who goes to all the liberal TV shows to discuss how awful conservatives are.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2009 at 10:39 PM
Daemonocracy on April 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM

My two cents:

You can be conservative about national defense, and liberal on every other topic. In the beginning, I think LGF was so focused on the War of Terror, disagreements on all other issues were tepid or avoided.

But now, as the Obama administration explained when it released the interrogation memos, “on a bright, sunny, safe day in April 2009,” the war on terror is getting so old and tired.

Over the past few years, LGF has increasingly let its liberalism rule in posts and threads, with a lot of anti-conservative themes. And Charles Johnson acts like a dictator in his treatment of any opposing views.

So, I rarely visit the site anymore.

Loxodonta on April 17, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2009 at 10:39 PM

i’m not sure exactly what happened to him but I can trace it back to specific events. A year or so ago he had a falling out with a number of bloggers he used to have a good relationship with. These bloggers, such as Robert Spencer, expressed sympathy to groups that were sponsored by neo nazi extremists. Charles Johnson was rightly alarmed by this and called out these bloggers. Their response was essentialy, “we need all the help we can get”. Obviously an unacceptable lineof thinking because no credibility should ever be given to hate mongers. Charles cut ties with these people, and was right to do so.

The problem is, he is now hyper-paranoid about extremists. It seems now that everyone is an extremist, including Glenn Beck. In the confused mind of Charles Johnson, there isn’t much of a difference between Glenn Beck and a Neo-Nazi. He felt so burned by his friends’ fall from grace that he has insulated hismelf from anyone who doesn’t fit his standards. His standards however are inconsistent though. He slams people for buying into conspiracy theories, yet if you read his site it is full of paranoia about “bircher”, “young earth creationists” and “paulians” trying to hijack the political process.

He spends so much time being embarassed by other Conservatives that he ends up cannibalizing his own. Not all people think alike, not all conservatives think alike and most importantly, not everyone is a hate monger. He’s created this artificial moral high ground for himself and hides out on it while his followers shout up praise from below.

Daemonocracy on April 17, 2009 at 11:03 PM

That has to hurt, seeing how the Left is filled with such love.

ddrintn on April 17, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Daemonocracy on April 17, 2009 at 11:03 PM

It’s too bad he doesn’t get his mind wrapped around something else. Didn’t he have a lot to do with debunking the records during “Rathergate”? He may never have a story as big as that again but I bet that sort of thing goes on enough to require a talented watchdog. Didn’t he have some kind of on-going thing with Gert Wilder? I hate to say that because I am probably wrong but he seemed to think he was at the same time both an outspoken critic of Islam to be praised and a anti-semitic to be condemned? I am not sure it was Mr. Wilders but he definitely had a love/hate thing going with someone. It is really quite sad.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Sanchez is the kind of “Blue Tool” self-important guy that is always asking waiters, tellers and ticket agents; “Don’t you know who I am?” He’s the Ted Baxter of today’s TV. Nobody can really stomach him and just rolls their eyes whenever he horns into a conversation. Of course, that’s just my opinion. He may not be a total ass.

Star20 on April 17, 2009 at 11:26 PM

OMG

SouthernGent on April 17, 2009 at 11:47 PM

O’Reilly and Greta had an interesting conversation about CNN and MSNBC tonight… they think this stuff is mostly because the channels are failing and losing millions upon millions of dollars.

If that is true why do they keep going further and further left instead of pulling back to the middle?

So many reporters and personalities have a compete lack of creditability that I can’t trust them anymore but if they got new people and could stay in the middle and present both sides I would watch them again. Candy Crowley is still pretty good. Although even she was cheerleading for Obama.

I used to be an avid MSNBC watcher. I used to really like Matthews and at first even Olbermann was funny. Then he wasn’t.

People are nuts.

petunia on April 17, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2009 at 11:26 PM

He had a love/hate relationship with a lot of people. Now he seems to be all about hate and distrust.

The whole Rathergate fiasco is what got me interested in LGF. They not only helped break that story, but there was some penetrating stories and sicussions about Media Bias and what was going on in the Middle East. Now the only media he seems to criticize are conservative pundits and Fox News and I rarely ever see anything on the Middle East or Islamo Fascism. Israel faces its biggest challenges today, and LGF is too busy obsessing over creationism.

Shame what’s happened to it but at the same time we have fantastic blogs such as Michelle Malkin, Hotair and others. Everyone has a different style but most seem to be accepting of one another without being extremist. That’s how I like it. (though I don’t like seeing people get at each others throats over future Republican candidates. This does happen all too often, usually stirred by only a few trolls though)

Daemonocracy on April 18, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Stu is a hoot!

Pole-Cat on April 18, 2009 at 12:10 AM

People are nuts.

petunia on April 17, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Jerry Nachman, Lester Holt and Chris Matthews (pre 2006) we’re all fun to watch back in the day. When Nachman died in 2004, things started to go down the drain fast. Scarborough is the last bit of Nachmans legacy which remains and he is pretty damn good. One of the only Republicans who complained about deficit spending under Bush (Limbaugh and Hannity were quiet on the issue, no matter what they say now) and his Morning Joe show is actually pretty good. The problem is MSNBC puts on too many whacko contributors like people from Newsweek. Probably an attempt to counter Scarborough.

Daemonocracy on April 18, 2009 at 12:11 AM

I heart Stu (& Dan)

froginthesky on April 18, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Probably an attempt to counter Scarborough.

Daemonocracy on April 18, 2009 at 12:11 AM

MSNBC needs 12 hours of liberalism to counter one hour of conservative. That’s sad.

I think it is actually dangerous to have FOX be the only 24 hour news channel. Too much power in one place. But the other channels are heck bent on committing suicide with their politics. Sort of like the country right now.

No one criticized Bush as we should have because the left was so loud about he war. If we added our voices the criticism it would have weakened the war effort.

Bush probably didn’t pick the fights he knew he should have for that reason too. It is easy to forget how shrill the left was with Pflame and Torture and thing after thing. We all just let the spending go on. Congress is the most to blame. All of them. They took advantage–which you expect of the opposing party but not Republicans!

Now Obama is ten times as bad. And his party will shut up about the war for a while at least. It is now we need to stop that stupid budget!

petunia on April 18, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Rick “Dirty” Sanchez

nelsonknows on April 18, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Honk if you watch CNN.

Hello?

Greg Toombs on April 18, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Greg Toombs

I feel like I’m on my way home in my husbands F150 from work and yep, glad the horn doesn’t work or on the rare occasion that it does, sounds like a wussy horn.

froginthesky on April 18, 2009 at 1:10 AM

petunia on April 18, 2009 at 12:39 AM

All too true. Objective Historians are going to have a heck of a time ironing out the finer details of the last 8 years, but you laid out a good start for them.

And I definitely don’t want Fox to become the only game in town. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, nobody is immune. (but with Murdoch old and his liberal son set to take over, Fox News will soon drift to the left and start to crack up.)

Daemonocracy on April 18, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Stu = greatness.

cannonball on April 18, 2009 at 2:41 AM

The newspaper account seemed to be filled with opinion.
Sanchez just like all illegal alien road killers always seem to get the excuses and defenses all mapped out for them.

Glenn Beck should run a banner of Sanchez being a hit and run killer….

The left has beaten the right down daily for twenty years…..Bless Glenn….Hannity has a hard time keeping his train of thought…..if only Rush had a t.v. show……America might learn something….naw….

nondhimmie on April 18, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Glenn Beck should run a banner of Sanchez being a hit and run killer….
nondhimmie on April 18, 2009 at 7:24 AM

RalphyBoy on April 18, 2009 at 8:41 AM

nondhimmie on April 18, 2009 at 7:24 AM

That’s a step too far for me. Calling him out on his show was good and I understand your point about double standards.

Cindy Munford on April 18, 2009 at 11:46 AM

FInally!!!
Someone conservative who is able in a humorous way to stand up to these libtards and give it straight back to them!
Finally a conservative with the “Malkins” We need!
IF only Bush hadn’t been so above the fray to respond to his critics like this now we are stuck with the Obamanation…

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on April 18, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Wow. Killer.

29Victor on April 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Glenn Beck is the BEST. Rick Sanchez is a murdering low life. Why isn’t he in jail.

sweetcake on April 18, 2009 at 2:42 PM

I don’t like any of it. No it’s not lower exactly but I guess I’m not sure turn about is fair play. I mean people really did die in both instances. That isn’t a joke.

Lets see Sanchez actually DID KILL SOMEONE, Beck?
Nope.

Sanchez plowed into Mr. Smuzinick, and then fled the seen. In CA that would be called a hit and run, considering Mr. Smuzinick died that would be a felony hit and run.

Sanchez did call the cops from his home. They came over and picked him up to go back to the seen.

This was 1 hour and 15 min after Sanchez ran over Mr. Smuzinick. The cops did a BAC check and Sanchez blew a .15

Sanchez said he had a couple of drinks “to calm his nerves” AT HOME AFTER the accident!

lets see How much booze AND in 1 hour 15 min to blow a .15 (now close to double the legal limit .08 in CA)

Found it!
If Sanchez weighs less than 100 lb and is Female then slamming down 3 whiskies in 1 hour will get ya a .15 BAC.

Back at the seen of the crime Sanchez says he tried to aid Smuzinick at the scene of the accident and flag down motorists, eyewitnesses claim the anchorman ignored the injured man and loudly told police and bystanders that blood tests were pointless, and would hurt his public image.
Awwwww Sanchez was worried about his “public image”.

And Mr. Smuzinick,

after two months in a coma, Smuzinick has regained consciousness and is making slow improvement. His right side remains largely paralyzed due to massive brain damage, but he can move his left arm and leg and sometimes hold his head upright. Using hand signals, he can answer yes or no to simple questions. Doctors last Friday removed a feeding tube from his trachea, and Smuzinick can now eat liquid foods. He has indicated that he hopes he can soon move from HealthSouth Regional Rehabilitation Center in Cutler Ridge to the town house in Pembroke Pines he purchased and finished remodeling shortly before the accident.

Mr. Smuzinick had this life till he died in 1995

And what did Beck do? Wheep on TV?

When ya see Sanchez on TV remember this aholes actions on that night and ask your self why does CNN have this guy on the air?.

Lets let CNN and Sanchez know about their “public image”.

DSchoen on April 18, 2009 at 9:05 PM

I know and like Glenn Beck, but who in the hell is Rick Sanchez??? And when we ever do find out who he is, are we suppose to care? FOX rules, and everybody at MSNBC sucks…

byteshredder on April 18, 2009 at 10:20 PM