Video: Britain’s biggest star does first U.S. interview

posted at 4:42 pm on April 16, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’m not being cute calling her that, either. Check the stats on the YouTube vids of her “Britain’s Got Talent” performance; all told, she must be pushing 20 million views. To put that in perspective, a link to a video at the top of Drudge usually only delivers a few hundred thousand. We’re still getting tips about it every day, usually with a line or two about how it made the sender cry, even though I posted it already. She’s a bona fide phenomenon, in other words, which makes me think at least a few of you will be interested in this. Two segments from this morning’s “Early Show,” one of them featuring a celebrity cameo and both of them featuring the anchors talking to her almost as if she’s a child — which may not be totally inappropriate. I’m not sure what’s “wrong” with her exactly, whether it’s just an extreme case of social awkwardness or something more, but needless to say that authenticity is at the core of the popular fascination with her. When was the last time someone so talented so utterly exploded the stereotype of how an entertainer should be?

Watch CBS Videos Online

Watch CBS Videos Online

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

conservative pilgrim on April 16, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Simon gets coaches for the 2 or 3 acts[*] he thinks most promising for the second round. I think she probably qualifies.

[*] It’s not clear how many. I think Potts was a beneficiary and a couple of last years acts were too. Another media scandal in Britain.

gh on April 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I don’t see how she’s “extremely” awkward. Yeah, a bit, but she doesn’t seem that far from normal to me.

OneGyT on April 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM

RushBaby on April 16, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I think she picked the perfect song to hit a home run like that.

Spirit of 1776 on April 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Kaptain Amerika on April 16, 2009 at 5:57 PM

But then he states:

Yeah, she’s really not (spectacular). She’s much better than she looks, but that’s all.

right2bright on April 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM

and now I’m going to listen to it for the 6th time.

scalleywag on April 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM

That’s a man baby!

rollthedice on April 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Glenn Beck just played a clip of it on his show — that’ll spike the YouTube hits even more.

cruadin on April 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM

right2bright on April 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM

It’s a big band wagon :) he can get on late, it’s okay.

Both she and Potts have had training before the show. But that’s not particularly relevant, imho. Heck, I’ve had professional training and you don’t see me getting 42 million youtube hits like Potts has.

These two are the real deal. Great voices, great stories. I love stories like these.

Spirit of 1776 on April 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Wikipedia has some inteesting stuff on her:

According to newspaper reports Boyle has already signed a multi-million pound record deal. Her first album is thought to be a ‘twitter concept’ album (working title ‘Twitty Pops’). British Twitter guru Stephen Fry has reportedly signed up for guest vocals. Commenting on Boyle’s appearance on Britain’s Got Talent, Fry said Twittybumfuddle!

Boyle has not commented on reports that Johnny Borrell, of the band Razorlight, has asked for her hand in marriage.

Mister Ghost on April 16, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Boylemania! and Daniel Hannan – the 2 best things to come out of the UK in a long, long time :)

Best wishes Ms. Boyle! Take the U.S. by storm!

Branch Rickey on April 16, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Yeah, she might not have a A-rate voice, but she has presence and a “golden” sound. I’ve watched this video four times now and I get emotional each time. Her authenticity and emotion are inescapable.

conservative pilgrim on April 16, 2009 at 5:45 PM

What people forget is that this is from “youtube” not the best audio…live must have been unreal.
Her voice is pitch on…listen to the newscasters and her singing in the house, incredibly accurate, and that is over lousy computer speakers.

right2bright on April 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM

live must have been unreal.

I agree. Even through the clips online you can get a real sense of the power of her voice. She’s got the goods.

Spirit of 1776 on April 16, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Spirit of 1776 on April 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Real deal, and con pil said authentic…that is the crux, she is pure…the anti-spears so to speak.

right2bright on April 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM

mbo213 on April 16, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Thanks for that. Much better than the CBS clip (I never get tired of these things :-).

gh on April 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Spirit of 1776 on April 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Yes but the scandal was helping acts during the competition. Simon’s completely unapologetic about it and as far as I’m concerned he’s just a good capitalist.

gh on April 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM

featuring the anchors talking to her almost as if she’s a child

Mm-hmm. A “special” one at that.

Marcus on April 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM

gh on April 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Ah, I just remember the press stinking over Paul and his opera training from his past.

Don’t they have coaching on Idol? I don’t watch it, but I watched the Rockstar show and they did coaching too.

Spirit of 1776 on April 16, 2009 at 6:11 PM

That one made me cry.

Glenn Jericho on April 16, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I bought the Paul Potts CD a while ago and was disappointed. He has a decent voice, but the orchestrations to many of the songs were identical to Il Divo.

eaglescout1998 on April 16, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Isn’t Il Divo a Simon Cowell produced group? That could explain the similarity.

SnarkVader on April 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM

right2bright on April 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Agree. She has a very resonant voice. Not sure how her head voice would sound, but her chest voice in the lower section has a vibrant quality.

conservative pilgrim on April 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Don’t they have coaching on Idol? …

Spirit of 1776 on April 16, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Dunno. I don’t watch it either (no TV). I just watched BGT on youtube two years ago because the story on Paul Potts was just like this one and I watched it last year as well.

I’ve surfed youtube a bit on the other shows but the only thing that really impressed me was the 12 y.o. yodeler and David Hasselhoff’s reaction. I watched some American Idol auditions too … the auditions are better than the shows because the judges are much less prepared for the acts.

gh on April 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Spirit of 1776 on April 16, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I watched AI last year and I remember them having some coaches available. Don’t know how technical they get. I think it’s more on the specific song and getting it right.

conservative pilgrim on April 16, 2009 at 6:17 PM

That’s a man baby!

rollthedice on April 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM

That’s a jerk, baby!

capitalist piglet on April 16, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I absolutely love and admire her courage!

sherry on April 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Great story.

Jamson64 on April 16, 2009 at 6:20 PM

conservative pilgrim on April 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM

She seemed to lose a bit of power with the lowest notes. As if it was the bottom of her range.

Another thing of interest is that the judges know when the difficult parts are coming up (I’d heard the song before but I’m not familiar with the musical it comes from) and you can see them holding their breath to see if she’ll hit them and then smile when she gets it.

gh on April 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Okay all you naysayers, here is your chance to get noticed;

Post some of your great musical work here so I can take a listen to your greatness and vast musical knowledge. You want to talk the talk, now walk the walk. You remind me of all the music critics I have ever read, ignorant and no talent what so ever but you can trash others for what you can not do. Takes a real big person to do that but I’m calling you out, post something and impress me and the rest of the world! I won’t be holding my breath on that ever happening in my life time. One more thing, making fries at McDonalds and getting an award for it doesn’t count.

Old Hippie Vet on April 16, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I have the credentials you seek (not bragging – it’s just what I do for a living) and I love her.

capitalist piglet on April 16, 2009 at 6:22 PM

gh on April 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Yeah, I heard that too. The one note was too low for her. My guess is that the key she’s singing in is much lower than the original version to allow her to get the higher notes comfortably. That’s common practice for singers.

The fact that she nails the opening phrase and commands everyone’s attention was so amazing. She has an innocence about her, even though she’s 47. When she says she wants to be a “professional singer,” I wonder what that means to her. I don’t get the impression that she wants to travel the world, but would be content singing locally or throughout Europe. I don’t know, that’s just my guess.

I’d love to hear her sing another song.

conservative pilgrim on April 16, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Mister Ghost on April 16, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Wikipedia page looks completely different now. All sorts of social analysis crap from The Guardian now. She’s going to have a much tougher time than Potts … waaayyy too much attention already. Perhaps the show will provide her some assistance with privacy.

gh on April 16, 2009 at 6:27 PM

RushBaby on April 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Where ya been, stranger?

MadisonConservative on April 16, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I’d love to hear her sing another song.

conservative pilgrim on April 16, 2009 at 6:26 PM

You will. She hinted in the CBS interview that she’s prepared. Next round starts in about a month. It’ll be on youtube within hours.

gh on April 16, 2009 at 6:29 PM

This is what the Internet can do ( in music and news and most other areas of life: allow talented people to detour around the ‘gate-keepers’ and reach a wide audience without being groomed or edited, etc

An amazing voice, a wonderful performance……

Janos Hunyadi on April 16, 2009 at 6:30 PM

capitalist piglet on April 16, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I am a Producer, Sound Engineer, Songwriter and Musician and I own my own studio.

Do you have anything I can listen to? I love listening to music and what other musicians are doing.

Old Hippie Vet on April 16, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Where ya been, stranger?

MadisonConservative on April 16, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Climbed in a hole, slammed the lid closed, and hid in there a while. Started pursuing other interests, even got really into writing a book. But I always read HA and it’s fun to participate again.

Thanks for asking and congratulations on your Green Room gig!

RushBaby on April 16, 2009 at 6:40 PM

RushBaby on April 16, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Thanks, and I’m glad to hear you crawled out to rejoin the ever-explosive community. There’s plenty of trolls to share, so I’m sure you’ll have some fun!

MadisonConservative on April 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM

There’s plenty of trolls to share, so I’m sure you’ll have some fun!

MadisonConservative on April 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Trolls? I haven’t seen any of those around. I honed my Ignore Skillz while on holiday.

RushBaby on April 16, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Whatever the cause, she’s got a brilliant voice, and she seems to be a truly delightful woman. Yeah, she’s quirky, but aren’t we all in our own way?

haikusrock on April 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM

She does have a beautiful voice – I got tears in my eyes as she sang and when I had my husband watch the video he seemed to get something caught in his throat.

One can only hope that she will have someone who helps her navigate her new popularity and make sure she’s not taken advantage of.

katiejane on April 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM

RushBaby on April 16, 2009 at 6:51 PM

No way to enjoy yourself without a nice little liberal mutant sticking their empty head in to crap in your Cheerios.

MadisonConservative on April 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM

This lady was as if a ‘special needs’ person with so much talent. A lady with a ‘common dress’, ‘common hair do’ and seemed to be not taken serious by those doing the show, till she began to sing. Well, this butterfly has come out of her cocoon. What a beautiful voice. Not nice to judge people by their looks.
L

letget on April 16, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Old Hippie Vet on April 16, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I’d have to share too much personal information – it’s kind of an awkward position to be in, because I know how it sounds when someone says that stuff, and I would like to prove my credibility on the issue…but I’d better not go there.

capitalist piglet on April 16, 2009 at 7:09 PM

capitalist piglet on April 16, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Same here – vocal music degree, sang professionally, done loads of musical theater, and conducted/sang in choir. I’ve seen great singers and I’ve seen awful singers

I absolutely love this woman. Her chest voice is strong and clear with a beautiful, even vibrato. Her crescendo into the final section was perfect and her soft, sweet ending just as excellent.

Moreover, she has some serious chutzpah, which is never a bad thing!

I hope she goes on to do great things. I’m sure she’ll have loads of opportunities in London’s West End, here in the US, and who knows where else. Good for her.

flyawaybird on April 16, 2009 at 7:09 PM

capitalist piglet on April 16, 2009 at 7:09 PM

You can click on my name and it will take you to my MySpace page. I have a few songs up there you can listen to.

Old Hippie Vet on April 16, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Here’s another good one

gh on April 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I think she’s great. As for her looks, she has something of a very traditional old-world Scottish crofter look about her and I love those rosy cheeks. No doubt she’ll get the inevitable makeover soon; I wonder what they’ll do to her? Pluck her eyebrows maybe, whiten her teeth, spruce up her hair, a few snazzy garments and she’ll probably scrub up quite well.

Her voice on the other hand, needs no makeover.

Sharke on April 16, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Here’s another good one

gh on April 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM

LOL – someone sent me that clip this morning. Those two are hilarious.

Sharke on April 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM

She’s such an authentic talent. I hope she wins big. She sort of reminds me of Ethel Merman, another vocal powerhouse.

eaglewingz08 on April 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Susan might have Asperger’s Syndrome.
I have it-I can sing but not as well as she-and if I’m having an “Aspie moment” I come across as somewhat…unique.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 16, 2009 at 8:17 PM

There’s nothing wrong with her at all. She did fine in both interviews considering that she was remote and couldn’t see the interviewers. She actually did better than some “professional” pundits I’ve seen who do remote interviews.

She was quick on her feet when they asked what she was going to sing next. I probably would have just blurted it out.

She’s a tough cookie.

Jaynie59 on April 16, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Surely they can stick a womans face on that with all the transplants these days.

I have to admit she sings pretty damn good, but ya know, I don’t run for the news and talk about shows like that. Ya may as well drop-kick your brain across the floor.

johnnyU on April 16, 2009 at 8:18 PM

About there being something “wrong” with her:

Watch the YouTube clip again and watch how she speaks to the shows hosts at the beginning and her on-stage banter. She seems very normal there.

In the two CBS clips, her coming across as someone having difficulties is probably due to the time delay in the live transmission between New York and Scotland. There’s probably a two second or more delay both ways in the live feed. That, and she’s probably realised that she’s talking to the whole freakin’ world at this point, so she’s probably more than a little nervous.

Just a thought.

Lickmuffin on April 16, 2009 at 8:24 PM

ott, but how did the bald headed CBS interviewer get his job? He seems particularly horribly awful, even for a morning talk show. “You have become overnight a world wide star. Do you understand that?” Does your tiny brain understand the words coming out of my mouth? Garrr…

adagioforstrings on April 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I don’t think there is anything wrong with her either… it seems like the problem is that there is a delay with the host’s voices getting to her. That’s the only awkwardness I noticed. She doesn’t say anything weird really, and even if she did, I wouldn’t know what to say in that sort of situation either. The host’s way of talking is just to make it come over loud and clear on the other end of the line… keep it simple so that it doesn’t end up garbled and you don’t have to wait a long time for response.

Nothing wrong with the lady, she might be a little awkward as far as dress and looks go, but that’s it. Also she may feel a little overwhelmed. I don’t blame her. :)

I have a brother with Asperger’s. I know how someone who is actually “socially awkward” sounds when they talk. That’s not it. :P

Christina D on April 16, 2009 at 8:50 PM

adagioforstrings on April 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Watch the fox one … much better.

If you want the complete thing just go to the youtube home-page, click videos and top videos this week.

Pick the one with 14M hits.

gh on April 16, 2009 at 8:55 PM

When my wife saw this, she simply wow! All she needs is a little work on her hair and makeup and see could blow broadway away. Definitely opera material

ConservativePartyNow on April 16, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I’d love to hear her sing another song.

conservative pilgrim on April 16, 2009 at 6:26 PM

She may have already achieved everything she originally was after. She could even decide it’s enough. She touched her dream.

Here is what I posted after seeing this the first time:

Some dream forever, but never move beyond the mind’s images.
Some follow their dreams, but fail. But they tried.
Then there are those whose dream becomes a tangible, palpable reality.
That inspiring video shows a person whose personal achievement of a long held dream will burn within her forever. If she advances no further probably matters less to her than the fact that she reached out and touched her dream. No one can take that from her.

Yoop on April 16, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Susan Boyle is my newest hero.

Carl on April 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Well said, Yoop! I couldn’t agree more. At the end of one of my favorite movies, Babette’s Feast, the main character articulates every artist’s fondest dream: “Let me do my best!” If Susan Boyle never sings another note, she will have accomplished that–with the entire world as witness.

Veritas on April 16, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Some pros need a computer to make their voice sound that good.

Dollayo on April 17, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Good for her. I wish her all the best. But let’s not conflate Boylemania with Beatlemania. I doubt this woman is going to become a cultural phenomenon.

No one is going to imitate that hairstyle. Trust me.

Meredith on April 17, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Alah,

You sound, in written form, when talking about this fellow human being, exactly like Pelosi talking about those of us in fly over country or Alaska!

Fie!

LCL4 on April 17, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Here she is singing “cry me a river”–> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXwc-i5eYdU

Dollayo on April 17, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Susan Boyle sings like an angel. I wish her the very best!

mz.josephine on April 17, 2009 at 5:02 AM

This woman’s beautiful voice is better than any of the winners of the American Idol shows. So powerful and lovely.

I wish her all the best too.

becki51758 on April 17, 2009 at 7:23 AM

Spirit of 1776 on April 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Me, too! My husband was in tears (he’s from Italy, a real opera buff, and knows talent when he hears it).

zeebeach on April 17, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Don’t have time to read all the comments, so sorry if I’m repeating what someone else has pointed out.

Susan Boyle’s performance was magical. It wasn’t just that she has a beautiful voice, or that she somehow connected with an audience that was just seconds before rolling their eyes at her…

If you look at this woman, this lonely woman, pouring her heart out about “life has killed the dream I dreamed” it touches an emotional chord. Everyone I know who has seen the clip has been brought to tears (or at least a bit misty).

Great voice alone doesn’t do that. Stage presence doesn’t do that. What does it is an emotional honesty that is seriously lacking in most singers today. THAT is why she is spectacular. Beautiful voice, incredible emotional honesty…and she’s an “everyman”. Just a person from a small village who has never been kissed, never been romantically loved. And you feel it when she sings.

ElvenPhoenix on April 17, 2009 at 10:32 AM

The prize of Britain’s Got Talent here in the U.K is to show British ‘talent’ at the Royal Variety Show that we make the Queen sit through every year.

As we speak the Queen is probably voting for Susan, as other talents like being able to put a hundred pegs on your face or stuff your face with as many chocolate’s within a minute is disturbing.

Imagine Simon Cowell saying,’Your Majesty i give you your people’,and this fella getting up.

She should send them to the tower.

mags on April 17, 2009 at 11:01 AM

This just thrills me to no end. I have watched this at least 20 times.

I completely agree that the choice of song made a huge difference on her performance. “I dreamed a dream in days gone by, When hope was high and life worth living.” The lyrics chastise the audience for their obvious bias against her based on her age and “frump” while at the same time her voice is of such a quality that her dream of being a great singing seems still possible. The audience is more than happy to give her the chance because in doing so they not only redeem themselves for their poor judgment, but they allow for the possibility of being judged on something more than just the brutally transitory virtues of looks and youth for themselves. Brilliant selection.

darcee on April 17, 2009 at 11:16 AM

BTW Allah, you’ll note that Susan Boyle mentioned she wanted to be like Elaine Paige? Check all of the comments on YouTube on Elaine Paige songs, 1000s of them were directed there due to Susan Boyle’s comment. She probably gave a big boost to Paige’s career…would this be called a double-viral effect?

Geministorm on April 17, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Paul Potts perhaps? Similar story; older, awkward and unattractive. He came out to the stage (again, Britain’s Got Talent) and knocked their socks off. This is like a repeat of that occasion, where someone that looked so…unlikely, wowed the audience with their terrific voice and completely turned the tables. Potts won the year he competed (2 years ago?).

Geministorm on April 17, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Dollayo on April 17, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Damn. That’s much better than the BGT performance … perhaps she’ll do that one in the next round. They’ll have to bring in suicide councellors for the other contestants.

gh on April 17, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Watch the fox one … much better.

Pick the one with 14M hits.gh

I suppose the fox interview was a wee bit better, but not orders of magnitude better.

adagioforstrings on April 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I haven’t heard a rendition like this many times in my life.

I had to force myself to stop listening. This woman has the voice of an angel and the musicality of Callas.

I dislike wailers like Celine or Whitney and think Broadway tunes are sappy. I prefer rap to pop and opera to rap. I have stopped listening to Opera because I have reached a limit for tragedy. I take in country, Gospel, or rap only if it comes across the radio

But I am a music nut and a hard critic. I saved my allowance to hear Artur Rubenstein in his last tour. I regretted I couldn’t make Callas’ farewell tour because a Callas sang like Von Karajan conducted. They destroyed you with rhythms and timing others could not conceive.

I saw Pavorotti once and he too placed notes so you could not control your heartbeat. And if you want to see who Pavarotti got his Nessun Dorma, listen to the greatest Jussi Bjorling. I had a video of Bjorling singing Nessun Dorma. He was effortless as if he did not have to breathe.

This is what this Susan makes me feel. She sings effortlessly with the musicality of Bjorling. It was deadly to put the Lupone clip up against Susan, because Lupone sounded measured and cautious like Opera Singer Joan Sutherland was compared to Callas (Great vs Amazing)

I just listened to a Broadway show tune more times than ever in my life and I am going back for more

Not many times in a lifetime do you get to hear something like this

entagor on April 17, 2009 at 1:30 PM