Tax Day and Tea Parties: The writing on the wall

posted at 8:48 am on April 15, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

It’s Tax Day, and across America, tens of thousands of Americans plan to attend Tea Party rallies.  Our friend Andrew Malcolm notes the apparent irony of a Gallup poll that shows Americans more satisfied than historical norms about the taxes they pay.  However, Gallup’s poll relates to what we pay today — and not what we’ll pay in the future:

The new survey purports that a plurality of Americans (48%) think they’re paying just about the right amount in taxes. Traditionally in American society, just the right amount in taxes is zero.

But now taxpayers are like Goldilocks on her third bowl of borrowed bear porridge. It’s just right.

A slightly smaller group that apparently drinks bottled water (46%) thinks taxes are too high.

No, really.

On this annual day of financial reckoning with the Washington crowd of talking suits spending way more money than we’re all paying combined, more Americans apparently think they’re getting their money’s worth.

Perhaps the Gallup poll does reflect the future after all.  If 48% believe that their taxes are just right, it might be because that’s the exact same percentage that will pay zero in the near future, according to Barack Obama’s tax policies.  With Obama’s emphasis on refundables, 48.7% of Americans will wind up paying no income tax at all.  For them, zero is the right amount, and they have no reason to be unhappy … yet.

Unfortunately, in a short period of time, even those people will have to start paying taxes, and not in small amounts:

The Obama administration will be hard-pressed to avoid raising taxes on the middle class, according to economists crunching federal budget numbers in the lead-up to tax return day — today, April 15.

President Obama’s proposed changes to the tax code, combined with exploding entitlement costs, will lead to ever-growing debt, according to independent estimates. The big question for Obama and his economic team will be whether he can meet the rising costs with increased tax revenue only from small slices of the electorate. …

“You just simply can’t tax the rich enough to make this all up,” said Martin A. Sullivan, a former economic aide in the Reagan administration who said he backed Obama last fall.

“Especially just for getting the budget to a sustainable level, there needs to be a broad-based tax increase,” said Sullivan, now a contributing editor at Tax Analysts publications. “If you want to do healthcare on top of that, almost certainly, it just makes [a middle-class tax increase] all the more certain.”

What’s the debt they’re discussing?  Time to break out the projected deficit chart again:

At some point, we have to start paying these bills, and when we do, it will hammer the middle class.

That’s what drives the Tea Parties — not taxes today, but all of the spending that will eventually require crushing taxes to resolve.  The Obama administration plans a spending spree unlike anything outside of world wars in our history, and wants to sell a fantasy that only the rich have to pay for it.  It’s ridiculous on its face.  The amounts are staggeringly high, and even 100% confiscation wouldn’t begin to cover it.

We will try to get Tea Party updates during the Ed Morrissey Show today, starting at 3 pm ET.  Don’t miss a minute.

Update: Michelle has the history of Tea Parties, and notes that it all began with Porkulus.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

I hope ernesto goes to the Tea Party in NYC.

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 8:51 AM

That graph reminds me of a ticking time bomb.

We are looking at the future, and it sucks BIGTIME!

I will definitely be at one of the rallys today. It’s for the children, literally!

Sweet_Thang on April 15, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Wish I could make it to one today. It is my mother’s birthday and I have a paper and lots of studying. I’m gonna try to make one locally, but that all depends.

Anyway, kudos to all the HotAir people going and getting their protest on!

Do it up! Share your photos when you come back! I’m looking forward to seeing some awesome stuff, guys.

Go git ‘em!

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 8:56 AM

San Diego California, Post Office main branch, Midway Dr. It’s the only place in town to be tonight.

doriangrey on April 15, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Oh da horror,today I will always remember,millions of
little tea bags,sacrificed for the greater good,as a
tea drinker,I will know doubt,that the tea bag will
be on the field of battle,I will always recognize April
15th,as Glorious Tea Party Day,a proud day indeed!:)

canopfor on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Obama will simply trot out the increasingly irritating cannard that he “inherited” a deficit from George Bush, despite the fact that Obama makes Bush, who spent money like a drunken sailor, look like a penny pincher.

Star20 on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Rainy in Richmond today. I hope turnout is good.

hanoverfist on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM

HAS OUT OF CONTROL GOVERNMENT SPENDING BECOME TOO TAXING?

Join your local tea party today.

tarpon on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Um, I think that, depending on where you live, there is also quite a bit on anger about current taxation.

For example, here in northern Delaware, our brand new governor is proposing a 1 percent income tax hike on people making more than 60K, as well as a 15 percent property tax hike on everyone. Our newly re-elected County executive has proposed a 25% property tax hike (on top of last year’s 9%, as well as increased water and sewer fees. And our newly re-elected mayor has proposed increases in a number of fees.

And none of these government agencies are cutting the number of government employees, where 75-80% of the costs are.

People here in Delaware are not happy. There are five tea parties planned here today — in a state you can drive through in about two hours.

BigD on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM

There are some mindless parasites in this country that would welcome “Idiocracy” if they could just get their free red sofa.

rplat on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Our rally here in Midland, Texas isn’t until Saturday. Which actually works for me, I have to work today.

The “Astroturf” argument was posed again today on C-Span’s Washington Journal, some jerk named Maggs with a lefty magazine. Classic projection.

iurockhead on April 15, 2009 at 8:59 AM

The Republicans’ll straighten everything out.

Akzed on April 15, 2009 at 8:59 AM

rplat on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Insert Brawndo commercial here.

Bladerunner1701 on April 15, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Make 52% of the nation untaxed cretins living off the other 48%, so when those 48% start protesting “no taxation without representation,” the 52% will have no idea what they’re talking about and pay no attention. It’s deviously brilliant.

It always angers me when someone asks me why I’m complaining since it doesn’t affect me. How could these people a) be so selfish and b) care more about people in Darfur than their own countrymates?

amkun on April 15, 2009 at 9:02 AM

orlando tea party baby!

marklmail on April 15, 2009 at 9:02 AM

The Republicans’ll straighten everything out.

Akzed on April 15, 2009 at 8:59 AM

What a brilliant comment . . . you must join the discussion more often so we can continue to be enlightened by your impeccable wisdom.

rplat on April 15, 2009 at 9:02 AM

The Pensacola Tea Party has been wrested back from Ronulan control and might just go off with a bang if we use these last couple hours wisely.

Wave your signs proudly and DON’T let anyone TELL you what to write on them or WHY you’re there.

tree hugging sister on April 15, 2009 at 9:04 AM

…….

It will be FAR more than tens of thousands, that number will be reached at the Alamo and Atlanta gatherings alone.

artist on April 15, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Governor Rick Perry will be speaking at Arlington and Ft. Worth, from what I have heard.
Is anyone planning on going to any tea parties in Dallas?

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I am wondering if any members of “The Brokest Generation” — that would be 18 to 34 crowd who voted for Obama in droves, will be able to figure out what the protest is all about.

BigD on April 15, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I could see this in a WW2,it was a bloody battle,
on Bloody Tea Bag Hill Ridge!!

canopfor on April 15, 2009 at 9:07 AM

I don’t think much will come of these protests, but I’m hoping to be proved wrong today. Good luck to all who’re protesting today.

Trent1289 on April 15, 2009 at 9:07 AM

In other words… at least to some degree… they like the Bush tax cuts since they are currently in place.

mankai on April 15, 2009 at 9:09 AM

BigD on April 15, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Only if someone sends them a Twitter message explaining it.

angryed on April 15, 2009 at 9:09 AM

im goin im goin…maybe ill even speak! though the lack of Cindy will hang over my head the entire time.

ernesto on April 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM

they could just get their free red sofa.

rplat on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM

And that stuff with electrolytes.

Brought to you by Carl’s Jr.

Oldnuke on April 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Trent1289 on April 15, 2009 at 9:07 AM

This is only the beginning. The American Revolution wasn’t won with the Boston Tea Party. And this revolution won’t end with the Tax Day Tea Parties.

Doughboy on April 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Well hubby and I are going to the Tea Party in Huntsville, Alabama. Folks, we need to emphasize that the brunt of the taxes will hit the american people in the next 2 years so although they may not feel the pain now, they will. If they are feeling the pain now, it is only going to get worse if we continue on the path we are on.

KickandSwimMom on April 15, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I won’t be able to go – I have to work so I can cover the $3000 I owe (witholding screwup, I guess). I’ll be there in spirit though. I will note that my lefty friends all have status messages up on Facebook deriding the “teabaggers”. Nice to see some original thinking and no slavish following of the MSM. (/sarc)

Farmer_Joe on April 15, 2009 at 9:14 AM

ernesto on April 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM

I feel ya. Cindy is pretty cool, sometimes.

ernesto, I think you are undergoing a genesis.

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Absolutely. Ive said it before and I will say it again.It aint gonna hit home til it hits home. The citizens will awaken when the bill comes due,unfortunately,thats when Obamas administration will be out of the whitehouse. So obviously hes not worried. He’s not spending his own money.He is spending ours and our childrens, grandchildrens and for some our great-grandchildrens money. The greatest generational theft in the history of the United States.

Obama- somebody has to pay the bill, the interest payments alone are too large for “the rich” to pay by themselves. Thanks for being the genius who gives America the choice of bancruptcy or devastatingly high taxes. Obama you suck.

canditaylor68 on April 15, 2009 at 9:17 AM

It’s raining in Philadelphia today. Probably won’t be a huge turnout, though a couple of local radio hosts have been promoting it.

I’m actually DOING my taxes today. As usual, I delayed the pain as long as possible. :-(

rockmom on April 15, 2009 at 9:18 AM

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I’ve always thought of Ernesto as a libertarian cynic who makes some solid contributions to threads. Those who consider him a lefty troll are very mistaken.

PimFortuynsGhost on April 15, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Lafayette, IN is having two of them (12-2 and 6-8) at the pedestrian bridge over the Wabash. The discussion in the paper has been more about the crate of tea they are tossing into the Wabash and the ecological ramifications of it.

What can I say – Purdue swings a bit blue. What is hilarious is tea is not going to hurt the Wabash more than what is already in it. (laugh)

kybowexar on April 15, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I’d like to posit an explanation of that. They are in the group that pays next to nothing in federal income taxes and actually believe that is all they pay in federal taxes. IF they don’t have to fill out a tax form for all the other taxes they pay,those taxes do not exist.

oldernwiser on April 15, 2009 at 9:20 AM

[artist on April 15, 2009 at 9:04 AM]

Agreed. To reach a million nationwide requires only 20,000 attending tea parties in each state. In New York, there are 26 Tea Parties today.

Dusty on April 15, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I could see this in a WW2,it was a bloody battle,
on Bloody Tea Bag Hill Ridge!!

canopfor on April 15, 2009 at 9:07 AM

And you’re about as funny as a smashed rectum . . . try to find a life outside trolling.

rplat on April 15, 2009 at 9:25 AM

The cameras are charged, the posters are made and the Gadsden flag (“Don’t tread on me”) is ready to be unfurled at the Indianapolis Tea Party this afternoon from 4:30 to 6:00 on the south lawn of the State Capital building. “Tom Paine” will be the keynote speaker. I’ll do my best to get some photos to post on Dakota Voice (www.dakotavoice.com). I’ll also be watching for trouble-makers from groups such as ACORN who have vowed to infiltrate and disrupt the rally.

drewas on April 15, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Raining here in DC but I’ll be there with my Bawhney Fwank Fannie Freddie shirt on…I expect the opposition forces to be out here…I think it’s time that those of us paying their (Acorn etc.) bills started giving them a piece of our minds…if being a patriotic American now means being a radical rightwinger then I am proud to be one!

DCJeff on April 15, 2009 at 9:26 AM

PimFortuynsGhost on April 15, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Oh no doubt, but I think he is drifting (perhaps unwillingly) to our side!

I feel it. Today will be a game changer for him.

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Is anyone planning on going to any tea parties in Dallas?

He can’t just swing over to Dallas too?? I will be going to the Dallas Tea Party with my two little girls (they get to see Dallas all lit up at night) and my mom and her hubby. Soooo excited! Gonna be there Carbon?

XWing5 on April 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM

At some point, we have to start paying these bills, and when we do, it will

hammer

the middle class.

Ed,

You might want to be careful using “terrorist-words” like “hammer” and “protest”. Homeland Securtiy is sure to be monitoring your “unstable” speech.

Rovin on April 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Just remember, if the 48% of the idiocracy doesn’t have a clue and doesn’t care because they presently pay no taxes, the rest of us who do will be able to deal with them because they don’t really care about anything. By the way, the “gate crashers” (i.e. ACORN: nuts) seem to think oppressive taxes are “good”, mainly because they don’t pay any. Take a camera or video camera if you can today. We need to get them on film spouting their socialist mantra. Don’t answer any surveys or sign any petitions. Just film them. Go Tea Party!!

HomeoftheBrave on April 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Kay Day at theusreport.com wrote an EXCELLENT response to those that claim conservatives and talk radio are responsible for incenting violence. Here’s a sample:

What about Al Franken, Rachel Maddow, Keith Olbermann [the King of Vitriol] and Bill Maher? What about David Letterman? These are all entertainers who despise anyone at odds with Democratic dogma. How about Al Sharpton, whose racially charged rhetoric can amass a mob in a moment? Did Lovelle Mixon kill 4 police officers because left-wing rhetoric sent him over the edge? Did all those black people who marched, calling Mixon a hero as families of the dead policemen grieved, do so because left-wing radicals brainwashed them? Do you suppose left-wing vitriol is somehow kinder than right-wing criticism? How many people does Sarah Bernhard fire up with her anti-Christian rants? Any law enforcement agencies looking at her?

Please read the rest…

cannonball on April 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM

I got a mass email from Michael Steele encouraging me to “send a tea bag”.

NOTE to GOP: This isn’t an anti-Obama protest. This protest is about people re-asserting their rights. It’s about people tired of BOTH parties stealing our money and using it recklessly. It’s about the GOP turning its back on fiscal responsibility, while pointing fingers at the Democrats. Are you listening, Arlen?

hawksruleva on April 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM

rplat on April 15, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Canopfor is no troll! He’s a sympathetic Canadian and about as conservative as they come. Been posting on HA for a looong time.

Oldnuke on April 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Looking for sign ideas? I’ve posted several that I will have with me at The Alamo today.

cannonball on April 15, 2009 at 9:30 AM

oldernwiser on April 15, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Exactly…and for them ignorance is bliss…ask an obamoron if their cigarettes taste better since their messiah just jacked up the price…

DCJeff on April 15, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I’m working on and paying my taxes today. The amount we owe is outrageous (state) and they are furiosly looking for more things to tax.
Because our taxes are so high our family budget needs a huge cut. I really have a problem with the government taking more and more yet we cut sports for the kids or other not essentials but certainly not luxuries. Paycheck to paycheck to pay taxes seems less than stimulating for the economy.
The government is not thinking they are just spending and I am furious. I’m also furious that Obama would appoint a journalist, far left journalist, to the Pentagon. This is bizarro world we are protesting, not just taxes.
When people finally fully wake up, it won’t just be our country that is radically changed.

ORconservative on April 15, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Oldnuke on April 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM

True that, I love canopfor

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Gallup’s poll is absurd on its face, anyway. The reason the plurality thinks they pay “just the right amount” of taxes is because such a huge number of people pay no taxes. Of course the people who pay nothing and next to nothing think their taxes are awesome.

Lehosh on April 15, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I feel ya. Cindy is pretty cool, sometimes.

ernesto, I think you are undergoing a genesis.

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 9:14 AM

well im gonna tease cindy forever about asking me to go and then not coming through to NY.

as for a genesis…it’ll depend. maybe if they give me the megaphone and i can spit some tough love to rah rah GOP types:

‘how Bush is the new LBJ and Obama coulda fixed the situation but instead doubled down. Bush played out just like LBJ. He borrowed from China to give a break to Americans that wound up going to those at the top. He borrowed from China to fund medicare part D. He borrowed from China to go to war with Iraq.

At the end of LBJ’s reign, it took the biggest monetary adjustment since bretton woods to fix it. At least Nixon spent the political capital making things right. Obama’s doubling down on the borrowing and the debt.

History has repeated itself, we’re in for a new 1970′s if this doesnt stop.’

ernesto on April 15, 2009 at 9:31 AM

I didn’t name my son “Boston” for nuthin’!

Wake up, America, and smell the tea!

mankai on April 15, 2009 at 9:33 AM

West Chester PA : Chester County Courthouse @ 12 noon.

Ernesto is welcome.

JoeAvg on April 15, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Taxed NO
Enough MORE
Already BAILOUTS

I’ve made my sign, I’m goin, hope to dunk a Tea Bag and a liberal or two down by the Riva.

dhunter on April 15, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Remember, it’s better not to talk to anyone who claims to be a reporter…and if you must, ask for ID first…the commies are going to be out with cameras as well…but have no fear…MSM will be sure to feature some leftist plants…we can’t let that deter us for a second…

DCJeff on April 15, 2009 at 9:34 AM

rplat on April 15, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I believe that was sarcasm. Lighten up there hard-ass.

Keyser-Soze on April 15, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Wow! all of this for my Birhtday!!! (Today is my birthday)

LOL! I told my wife about a month ago that I wanted to go to a TEA party today for my birhtday. She has to watch our son, but I am going with a friend to the Dallas Tea Party.

I don’t care what the polls say, if the election were hled again today, that 1-2% lead The Obama had would be lost.

jeffn21 on April 15, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I will be at the one in Wilmington, NC, being on the east coast, we will set the pace.
Good luck to all the others, even if you just show up for 15 minutes to support the cause, or honk as you drive by.
This should not be a “right/left” issue, if you think our taxes are moving in the wrong direction, regardless of your party affiliation…if you think that taxes have finally become the “sledgehammer” of change…if you think that allowing 48% of the people not to pay taxes is not right…if you think that this administration, and the past one, misspent your money, and will continue…then show up and support the tea parties.
Forget the left is wrong, or the right is wrong…Taxes that punish are wrong, taxes designed to harm is wrong, misspent dollars is wrong, ever expanding federal budget is wrong…the direction of the taxes in America is wrong; for all freedom loving people.
Lend your support today, if only for a moment, and realize these protests are for everyone who is an American…unfair taxes is at the foundation of our country, it wasn’t right then, it isn’t right now…this is an AMERICAN issue.

right2bright on April 15, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I’m covering the NYC Tea Party Tonight. I’ll post my pics tonight! Can’t wait!

Urban Infidel on April 15, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Someone’s ratings are going south: The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows that 35% of the nation’s voters now Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Thirty-three percent (33%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of +2

katablog.com on April 15, 2009 at 9:38 AM

[Rovin on April 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM]

LOL. Yeah, I’ve heard that DHS’s first draft of the Threat Report included anecdotal evidence from open sources that DHS is a fringe organization, but that the language was removed from the final report because DHS deemed DHS to be harmless and ineffective.

Dusty on April 15, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I’m covering the NYC Tea Party Tonight. I’ll post my pics tonight! Can’t wait!

Urban Infidel on April 15, 2009 at 9:38 AM

We need as many pics and videos as possible… then they need to go up on YouTube and elsewhere… can’t trust the press to do it… and you know they’re going to downplay and under-estimate the crowd figures.

mankai on April 15, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I’m covering the NYC Tea Party Tonight. I’ll post my pics tonight! Can’t wait!

Urban Infidel on April 15, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Awesome, man!

I’m looking forward to seeing what you’ve gotten by the end of tonight!!!!!!!

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 9:41 AM

BigD on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM

My mom is very mad at what’s going on in DE. Apparently they’re trying to raise taxes on alcohol and tobacco too (which would affect the store that she manages). She and I are on different sides of the political spectrum, but she supports the tea parties too.

I have to admit, I’m laughing though that there are 5 parties there today – I love my home state, but she is tiny!

Anna on April 15, 2009 at 9:42 AM

History has repeated itself, we’re in for a new 1970’s 1930′s if this doesnt stop.’

ernesto on April 15, 2009 at 9:31 AM

FIFY

iurockhead on April 15, 2009 at 9:43 AM

cannonball on April 15, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Thanks! I’m going with your ATM suggestion. It’s raining in my area, but maybe the sign will hold up for a while.

Laura in Maryland on April 15, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Here are some answers to what will be questions, trick questions that will be asked:
q: What was the original Boston tea party protesting?
A: It is a symbol of over taxation by an uncaring government.(don’t get into details, talk about todays effects)
q: Have you ever been to other tea bag protests (or some other question with the words “tea bag”.)
A: No tea bagging is what journalists do to get these cushy assignments. This is a protest against unfair taxes, and misspent gov money.
Keep on point, this is a protest regarding unbridled spending and taxes.
q: Bush also raised taxes and increased budget
A. This is not a right/left issue, it is an issue of unfair tax burden placed on us and our children for decades. We are not protesting individuals, we are protesting the gov. and specifically congress for not controlling taxing or spending.
Always go back to “this is an American issue, it affects everyone”.
Don’t get trapped into being a “right wing extremists”, this is an American cause.

right2bright on April 15, 2009 at 9:48 AM

ernesto on April 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Too kind!!!

Cindy is pretty cool, sometimes.
blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Sometimes????? At 55 I am as consistently cool as I am going to get. Watch it Whipper Snapper!!/sarc

Cindy Munford on April 15, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Nashville from 11:00 to 1:00 and surrounding counties at 5:30 or 6:00 tonight.

tnmama on April 15, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I love my home state, but she is tiny!

Anna on April 15, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Yep, it’s a small world in Delaware. I am not a native Delawarean — I grew up in Michigan and moved here after college to work. Even after 20+ years here, it’s not quite home.

BigD on April 15, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I’m covering the NYC Tea Party Tonight. I’ll post my pics tonight! Can’t wait!

Urban Infidel on April 15, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Is there a pre revolution pub meetup planned?

ernesto on April 15, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Working on my tea party sign:

Socialism is Slavery

bitsy on April 15, 2009 at 9:53 AM

I’m going to our closest one, and I’m taking my husband, son, daughter, brother, and two of my grandkids. All of us are fed up with both parties — most members of which are spending us into the poorhouse and feathering their nests at our expense. I just wish we could take along tar and feathers to boot.

hachiban on April 15, 2009 at 9:53 AM

It takes a dumbass to BELIEVE the gravy train has no end.

That’s what Fanny and Feddy thought, too.

Welfare fools will pay the Piper soon enough, in spades. Promises, promises. Words, just words.

SEE AND ACKNOWLEDGE what Obama did in Chicago and in his “home” (barf) state to the aging and those in poverty! He and his crooked lawyer buddies and crooked union contractors took ALL of the tax funds, ransacked the public housing, and left it completely destroyed whenever awarded the supervision to rebuild.

There ain’t no free lunch in a bankrupt nation.

maverick muse on April 15, 2009 at 9:54 AM

jeffn21 on April 15, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Happy Birthday!!!! Do we throw a great party or what??????

Cindy Munford on April 15, 2009 at 9:54 AM

BEAUTIFUL weather in Shreveport, LA today! We’re expecting a large crowd at our Tea Party! Can’t wait!

paustin110 on April 15, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Awesome, man!

I’m looking forward to seeing what you’ve gotten by the end of tonight!!!!!!!

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Thanks! But ..ahem.. I’m a woman! :)

I’ll have tons of pictures and video to follow.

Is there a pre revolution pub meetup planned?

ernesto on April 15, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Not that I know of. Just come around 7pm. I think there’s going to be a very large crowd. There is a party afterward, though.

Urban Infidel on April 15, 2009 at 9:56 AM

My whole family will be at the Winston Salem NC rally.

My signs are:

TELEPROMPTERS CAN’T MASK TRILLIONS.

YOUR PORK BROKE MY PIGGY BANK (daughter)

MR. PRESIDENT, CAN I HAVE A PLANET? (son…super into the solar system and asked for a planet for his birthday)

Husband: OBAMANOMICS-trickle up poverty
dad: Capitalism isn’t the problem. Liberal Socialism IS.

Mommypundit on April 15, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Urban Infidel on April 15, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Well ill be gettin outta work in midtown at 5, what am i supposed to do for 2 hours???? :-)

ernesto on April 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM

AUSTIN CAPITAL METRO will have more riders today than usual.

$3.00 EXPRESS day pass

…beats what parking would cost…no Capitol parking available, any way.

maverick muse on April 15, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Rovin on April 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I don’t know that “hammer” would be considered bad by liberals… after all, it does form half the ideological symbolism of liberals… alongside the “sickle” of course.

dominigan on April 15, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Looks like I’m going to be able to squeeze in a visit to State St. Harrisburg today. Packing a camera.

I’m guessing Pat Toomey will show up. He made his candidacy official today.

forest on April 15, 2009 at 10:02 AM

OBAMANOMICS-trickle up poverty

Mommypundit on April 15, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Oh, that is SOOOoooo good! I may have to use that if you don’t mind!

dominigan on April 15, 2009 at 10:03 AM

In CA, our tea parties ARE about present taxes. What I like most about the tea parties is that it’s not squished into a box and labeled for the consumer like so much of politics is. This is a real grassroots deal. It varies from place-to-place.

Even more fun? The LA TIMES is livid. They are getting jeered daily on the radio for having fluffed off the So. Cal tea rally. 15,000 people showed up, and no reporter was there to cover it. The excuse was that there “rallies everywhere, and we have to choose.” So the next week, they run a story on 25 people protesting how condoms are locked up in drugstores in one area but not in another.

The upshot? The radio hosts are just pounding the Times. Today there’s a blistering editorial about how “stupid” the tea party people are. There’s then a YALE conference on the econmy out on another blog. Of course, there are economists who have identical viewpoints to many tea party goers.

Can’t make this stuff up, eh?

AnninCA on April 15, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Santa Monica Pier 3PM – 7PM,
Santa Monica, California

Tru2my2 on April 15, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Oh Jeff……fellow Aires…….today’s my BD too.

cool beans, eh?

AnninCA on April 15, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Sent my 1040 in yesterday…in the Blue Label envelope.
Refund $365.62…….2nd Envelope to the NRA, check inclosed $365.62.

My flags (50) are flying in the front yard. On each and every one hangs two tea bags.

Have a nice day.

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Gonna be there Carbon?

XWing5 on April 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I may go to the Arlington party since Perry will be there!
According to Dallas Morning News:

Gov. Rick Perry is schedule to speak at tea parties in Arlington and Fort Worth. He’ll kick off his day with an appearance in Austin at noon.

Organizers say that Texas is one of the key areas for the parties, with conservative politicians and media personalities giving speeches.

Fox News talk-show host Glenn Beck is broadcasting from the Alamo in San Antonio, where rocker Ted Nugent will sing the national anthem.

Organizers are protesting increased spending in the federal economic-stimulus plan and President Barack Obama’s multi-trillion dollar budget proposal. Organizers hope to draw enough participants to shake up congressmen who feel vulnerable in next year’s elections.

Man, I wish I could be at the party in San Antonio! Ted Nugent!

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Is there a pre revolution pub meetup planned?

ernesto on April 15, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Yes. Go to Rawhide on 8th Ave. and 21st St. Bring your chaps.

capitulus on April 15, 2009 at 10:09 AM

No Main Stream Media no legs. The parties will not survive without major coverage. The day of the Old Media is far from over. Voters are not aware in the numbers required unless all the old sources get behind the effort. Portuguese Water Dogs are going to get more coverage than tea parties.

rsl775 on April 15, 2009 at 10:09 AM

OK Fellow Las Vegas residents – Sunset Park Noon till 6-7!! I’m bringing three with me and we’re gonna rock! BTW – I HAVE to make another sign now Obamanomics – Trickle Up Poverty! That’s just too good!

Fishoutofwater on April 15, 2009 at 10:11 AM

That’s quite OK, rsl. The truth is that the people who need to hear this message already really have….elected congresspeople.

AnninCA on April 15, 2009 at 10:11 AM

PHILADELPHIA TEA PARTY II

Saturday April 18th, 2009 from 12pm – 2pm at Independence Mall, 5th and Market Street across from Independence Hall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

FEATURED SPEAKERS INCLUDE:

Talkshow Host Dom Giordano

Heritage Foundation Policy Analyst Michael D. Johns

National President of Redeem the Vote Reverend Bill Devlin

Taxpayer Champion Steve Lonegan

Decorated Iraqi War Hero Scott Rutter

Local Columnist and Attorney Christine Flowers

Philly’s own Joey Vento

and other Notable Speakers

SPECIAL INVITED GUESTS:

Former Club For Growth President Pat Toomey and Patriots like you!

Don’t know if Toomey will come. Would surely annoy Arlen, which is reason enough.

Wethal on April 15, 2009 at 10:11 AM

rplat on April 15, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Canopfor is an honorary American! NOT a troll; a Hot Air staple.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Canopfor is an honorary American! NOT a troll; a Hot Air staple.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 10:12 AM

+1000

Canopfor added blue to the red and white of his flag long ago. We have his boots and Resistol waiting for him done here in the Lone Star State.

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Urban Infidel on April 15, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Woman? Even better. :x !!!

Cindy Munford on April 15, 2009 at 9:49 AM

:D :X e_e

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Is there a pre revolution pub meetup planned?

ernesto on April 15, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Yes. Go to Rawhide on 8th Ave. and 21st St. Bring your chaps.

capitulus on April 15, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Ernesto, Reason #246595 to come over to our side. You are getting trolled by your own side.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 10:15 AM