White House: Obama not aware of tea parties?

posted at 3:55 pm on April 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

Snarks Slublog, “Of course. They’re not about him.” Actually, it’s unclear if Obama’s aware or not: The GMA clip below says he isn’t but Tapper, who follows the White House beat and is in a better position to know, says there’s been no WH comment on the subject. Let’s hope GMA got it wrong, because if not, either The One’s less informed about the opposition in his own country than Australian newspaper readers or it’s a silly lie cooked up by the White House to delegitimize the protests as not worthy of the president’s interest. Bad news, whichever it is.

After you watch the quick hit from GMA, click the image for Santelli expressing a little populist pride in the rallies on CNBC this morning. Like Marc Ambinder says, as an example of grassroots organizing and a bellwether of political action in the Twitter age, “the tea parties really are something.” Ruffini, in fact, sees them as the first step in the rise of “distributed activism” on the right to push the conservative agenda. Which is to say, if The One’s not paying attention, he should be.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Neil Cavuto just said that Austan Goolsbee was scheduled to be on the show. If he was scheduled ahead of time, how could Obama not know? Goolsbee stood Neil up so he could go on MSNBC.

ExcessivelyDiverted on April 15, 2009 at 5:01 PM

warlocketx on April 15, 2009 at 4:44 PM

thanks for the correction.

Oh, and BTW — we don’t really expect much out of New York, which lives entirely on Federal subsidies.

for every federal tax dollar paid in NY, only 79 cents come back to the state. the rest goes to flyover country. you’re welcome.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 5:03 PM

And…..“nonpartisan” my sweet ass.

Heres some signage for you.

Hey Big Brother! Show us your birth certificate!

Hey Obama! We are a CHRISTIAN NATION!

Obama Bin-Lyin! Free Our Markets Not the Terrorists!

Sowwy, no credibility from meh…and the rest of my demographic.
This is exactly the same winger crap that i read here and at redstate.

strangelet on April 15, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Just saw this on Twitter:

BULLETIN — PRESIDENT OBAMA AND THE FIRST LADY HAD A GROSS INCOME OF $2,656,902 IN 2008.

Running for President evidently pays pretty well these days.

msmveritas on April 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM

This is a huge mistake by the White House. They had a chance to embrace the merit of the efforts of tens of thousands of patriotic Americans.

It would have been easy to acknowledge the anger felt by the citizenry.

The fact they decided to ignore the day’s events means they are indeed affected by the outcry. It also shows they are completely unconcerned about the concerns of average American.

They’ve accepted tea parties are an “us against them” scenario and that’s too bad.

Government should understand the people.

FireBlogger on April 15, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Bambi has taken the Louis XVI/Marie Antoinette approach to the tea parties: “Let them drink tea”. He reveals his and the Democrats–as well as many of the Republicans–total disconnection with “We, the People.” Today is a gentle knock on the door.

There is a failure to understand the ire the people feel here on the part of Bambi, the Democrats, as well as the usual leftie suspects. They think it’s we’re upset at having to pay taxes–well, while we are irritated at Bambi’s transparent intentions to raise taxes on the middle class in order to fund his wealth redistribution programs, these protests are about far more than that. They’re about Bambi and his cohorts yoking our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren to a mountainous debt that will lower their standard of living, deprive them of opportunities for a better life, and put them more at risk in an increasingly dangerous world.

Bambi and the left are doing what they always do–thinking only of now–never about tomorrow. That is what we are mad about.

Matt Helm on April 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM

We were told that President Obama ran a very “tech-savvy” campaign. That implies that his handlers (at least) know something of the blogosphere. Yet, we are to believe he’s not “aware” of the many peaceful demonstrations throughout the country?

Heh.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 5:11 PM

msmveritas on April 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Book deals.

getalife on April 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Hey Big Brother! Show us your birth certificate!

Hey Obama! We are a CHRISTIAN NATION!

Obama Bin-Lyin! Free Our Markets Not the Terrorists!

strangelet on April 15, 2009 at 5:04 PM

So constitutionalists, Christians, and free-market supporters are partisan?

I guess if you’re in the libertarian party…

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Uh, so only $.21 goes to support the COUNTRY? Like defense? or border security? or Washington?

Interesting…

Romeo13 on April 15, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Heh.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 5:11 PM

He’s got em’ all out posting smarmy pathetic horseshit on conservative blogs…..

BigWyo on April 15, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Book deals.

getalife on April 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Dreams of my Father and Audacity of Hope were published before 2008. Try again.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 5:16 PM

We could re-lay the Intercontinental Railroad by driving spikes with the rear ends of you Trolls today. You nimrods can’t stand the light of accountability being turned on the government. Guess what? You can’t change what is happening today. This is just the beginning.
So, hurl your insults to us on this Conservative web site today. It’s been a long time coming. The American people are fed up.

kingsjester on April 15, 2009 at 5:17 PM

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 5:03 PM

But, you miss the point; I want to keep my money, and spend it locally, on things I need. With what’s left, I can invest in and grow a business, or save my money….

Money sent “away” so that (some of) it “comes back” is just as foolish as it sounds.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Traffic in Fort Lauderdale is at a standstill.
Wherever did all these radical right extremists come from?
Just saw 2 Broward Sheriff deputies grinning from ear to ear while directing traffic in the HOT sun.
OMG maybe “they”put something in the water supply!

IT’S HARD TO GET RICH IN A SMALL TOWN.
EVERYBODY IS WATCHING. “JOE BRUGGER

katy the mean old lady on April 15, 2009 at 5:19 PM

these gatherings consist of educated people that have a voice that is silenced in the normal media. If it was a civil rights thing the media would be all over it, perhaps this should be seen as a civil rights action since the rights of the taxpayer are ignored.

workingforpigs on April 15, 2009 at 5:24 PM

My greatest wish is that this is Barack Obama’s Marie Antonette moment. Resign Mr. President you are totally out of touch!!!

petunia on April 15, 2009 at 5:25 PM

maybe he will wonder what all those people are doing if he looks out the window of O Force one.

workingforpigs on April 15, 2009 at 5:26 PM

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Tech-savvy?

This is the White House that opened up online forums, and then, found out they could not ban trolls, nor could they delete troll posts, nor even offensive posts, since as an instrument of the federal government, such would be a clear violation of the First Amendment.

Tech-savvy? No, they only claimed to be tech-savvy.

coldwarrior on April 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM

When Obama said he would be the most transparent President in history I guess this is what he meant… I, at least can see straight through his lies.

petunia on April 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM

So constitutionalists, Christians, and free-market supporters are partisan?

I guess if you’re in the libertarian party…

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Or an Independent.

petunia on April 15, 2009 at 5:29 PM

petunia on April 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Petunia, while you are seeing right through Him…can you let us know if he has a backbone? /s

As for Obama not being aware…the White House went on lock-down this afternoon because Tea Party protestors were throwing tea bags over the White House fence.

Obama…caught in yet another lie.

coldwarrior on April 15, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Just saw this on Twitter:

Running for President evidently pays pretty well these days.

msmveritas on April 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM

He was on TV today and everytime he talked about lower-income earners he referred to the “working” people. Then he went on to talk about rich people and said something along the lines of “People who are/get lucky like me…”

He may have gotten lucky but I think its funny that he feels as though regular people “work” for their money but all rich people just got “lucky”

Joe Caps on April 15, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Tech-savvy? No, they only claimed to be tech-savvy.

coldwarrior on April 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Point well taken, coldwarrior; I just get tired of the constant drumbeat of “this was an incredibly good campaign…” followed by a thinly veiled attempt to be dismissive by claiming ignorance of a widely publicized event.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 5:33 PM

How could Obama know about this? I mean, really – how?

capitalist piglet on April 15, 2009 at 5:39 PM

capitalist piglet on April 15, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Subtly sarcastic, and short!
Thanks for showing us how to do it right.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Book deals.

getalife on April 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM
Dreams of my Father and Audacity of Hope were published before 2008. Try again.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Apparently you are unaware that he has yet another book deal

windsor1262 on April 15, 2009 at 5:54 PM

you also get to keep money to spend locally or grow a business. but you’re not gonna build highways, topple dictators or save people from floods and wildfires for us.

Interesting…

see this handy document ominously titled ‘Why Do Some States Feast on Federal Spending, Not Others?‘.

As you can see from the map, states that get the “worst deal”—that is, have the lowest ratio of federal spending to taxes paid—are generally high-income states either on the coasts or with robust urban areas (such as Illinois and Minnesota). Perhaps not coincidentally, these “donor” states also tend to vote for Democrat candidates in national elections. Similarly, many states that get the “best deal” are lower-income states in the mid-west and south with expansive rural areas that tend to vote Republican.

pwnage brought to you by the tax foundation.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM

LET THEM EAT WAFFLES!!

Maquis on April 15, 2009 at 6:04 PM

or maybe he just reads malcolm gladwell.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

pwnage brought to you by the tax foundation.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Those stats and that map are pretty to look at, but don’t tell the whole story. For example, their description of the slums of Chicago as “robust urban areas” has to be taken with a grain of salt.

And it’s interesting to note that some of the “biggest feasters” include the blue state O’bama claims to have been born in, and the home state of Bill Richardson.

Del Dolemonte on April 15, 2009 at 6:12 PM

“it’s a silly lie cooked up by the White House to delegitimize the protests”

Exactly. If there’s one thing the MSM taught Barry, “you don’t acknowledge it, it didn’t happen”. Unfortunately, Barry hasn’t been paying attention to what’s been happening to newspapers, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, etc.

GarandFan on April 15, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Malignant narcissists do not fathom that there is a world beyond themselves. The man-child is deep in denial, and a complicit media are allowing him to continue to live in his bubble.

Fiddle-dee-dee, Obama and Congress.

BTW I heard lots of anti-Pelosi talk at our T.E.A. party… from some people that surprised me. The citizens are getting ready to dethrone Her Highness, and 2010 cannot come soon enough.

onlineanalyst on April 15, 2009 at 6:13 PM

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM

OK, this is almost a logical rebuttal; How about we agree to do the actual list of things provided in the constitution? Again, I’m advocating local spending which would include providing aid that would be used to “save people from floods and wildfires…”

Show me where ALL of the tax money goes – what percentage is actually disaster relief, as opposed to money for an education system that doesn’t produce the results from 50 years ago, or for the many other wasteful things we could point out.

I’ll take care of my family, friends, community, church…
Keep out of my wallet (keep out of everybodys’ wallet) and things will be better.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM

To be fair guys, it wasn’t on his teleprompter, so how could he know?

noblejones on April 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Obama didn’t bow, either.

Daggett on April 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Show me where ALL of the tax money goes.

merrily.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Remember when Sen. Joey B. Said

“I promise you, you all are going to be sitting here a year from now going, ‘Oh my God, why are they there in the polls, why is the polling so down, why is this thing so tough?’ We’re going have to make some incredibly tough decisions in the first two years,” said Biden. “I’m asking you now, be prepared to stick with us. Remember the faith you had at this point because you’re going to have to reinforce us.”

gird their loins” for a bumpy beginning to the next presidential term, Biden said it wouldn’t be initially apparent that the correct decisions are being made because “they’re not likely to be as popular as they are sound. Because if they’re popular, they’re probably not sound.”

I guess it did not take a year did it.

mechkiller_k on April 15, 2009 at 7:18 PM

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM

OK, this is a reasonable rebuttal; good link. But, the larger point remains.

I would not willingly pay as much in taxes as I do now – the fact is, lots of the taxes I pay (by which I mean taxes, fees, and withholdings) are paid under duress, since I’ll be punished/imprisoned for not paying them.

Many of the expeditures shown in the link you provided are extra-constitutional. Clearly, sending money “away” to someone else is not as good as spending it locally.

I pay too much in taxes; I want to pay less.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 7:33 PM

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM

OK, this is a reasonable rebuttal; good link. But, the larger point remains.

I pay too much in taxes; I want to pay less.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 7:34 PM

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM

OK, this is a reasonable rebuttal; good link. But, the larger point remains.

I pay too much in taxes; I want to pay less.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 7:34 PM

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM

OK, this is a reasonable rebuttal; good link. But, the larger point remains.

I pay too much in taxes; I want to pay less.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 7:34 PM

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM

OK, this is a reasonable rebuttal; good link. But, the larger point remains.

I pay too much in taxes; I want to pay less.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 7:34 PM

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Sorry, I’m having trouble getting this to post- hope some variant doesn’t show up several times.

This is a reasonable answer (in a narrow sense.) But, my broader point is this; some of the expenditures in the link are extra-constitutional. I would not voluntarily pay as much in taxes as I do, except that I would be fined/imprisoned if I didn’t.

Again, I pay too much in taxes; I want to pay less, and keep more of my money, for use locally.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM

By now, I would think the whole world would know the routine…anything The Big O doesn’t like, he doesn’t know about.

uncivilized on April 15, 2009 at 8:04 PM

…and the home state of Bill Richardson.
Del Dolemonte on April 15, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Gee, what do you mean by that? Home state? He grew up in
the ‘state’ of Distrito Federal,Mexico, and that is where he considers Home in his heart of hearts.

Or so you mean California, where he was born? (much like an Anchor Baby and immediately left for Mexico.)

Or do you mean Massachusetts where he lived for the middle ~20 years of his life.

Or do you mean Washington DC, the place where he wishes he lived?

Certainly, you don’t mean New Mexico. Despite him being its carpetbagger governor (and initially he was its carpetbagging Congressman) He considers New Mexico to be neither home nor favorite harbor. Privately he will admit that he despises the state.

(I’m just ‘yanking your chain’ Del… I know what you meant… I just like to make sure everyone knows that despite appearances, Richardson is NOT A New Mexican by birth or by allegiance.)

LegendHasIt on April 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I pay too much in taxes; I want to pay less.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 7:33 PM

fair enough. unfortunately, you’re not always acting in your long-term interests, so the people in government – on our bankroll – to do this kind of sophisticated thinking for you. the way your wages are apportioned is ultimately decided by people you vote for, on local, state and federal level.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 9:23 PM

If he wasn’t aware of them before, he certainly is now.

I wonder if the White House itself was evacuated?

unclesmrgol on April 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Right; but I’m capable of sophisticated thinking too – If, as you suggest, the way my wages are apportioned is ultimately decided by people I vote for, then I suggest this; I should send money (pay taxes) only locally – my locally elected representatives can send money to the state and federal government. This would obviously be more efficient than sending money to the fed. govt, which comes back to the state, and finally, to the local level.

massrighty on April 15, 2009 at 9:34 PM

He was unaware of them before He was aware of them.

Sometime in the future, these tea parties will be spun by the Left as anti-Bush rallies, and most Americans will sit in front of an alphabet channel and go, “Oh, yeah, I remember those…man, those people really hated Bush!”

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 15, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Obama?

Unaware of something of great significance? That’s not on a teleprompter?

UNPROBABLE!!

CatsGodot on April 16, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Why do we always look to the DPM (Dem Propaganda Machine) to valadate or even acknowledge what we do and stand for? We pine for coverage from a media we know disagrees with us. I have long since given up that as a conservative I will receive any fair coverage from the DPM.

The one great thing about talk radio is the DPM did not make it and cannot, without government intervention, take it down. So, I ask again, why do we look to the media for fair coverage?

What I find great about the tea parties of today, is they started on their own. Some are so large they couldn’t be ignored, even though they tried, the numbers could not be denied. I hope this continues and serves as a wake up call mainly for the GOP but for the elected officials in general.

lwssdd on April 16, 2009 at 3:06 AM

B.O.is going to get two major surprises in the next couple of years.

First, when his Democratic majority is voted out of office in 2010, and secondly, when he himself is soundly voted out in 2012.

For this guy to say that he is unaware of all the tea party protests happening across the nation yesterday demonstrates just how much of a certified idiot he really is.

pilamaye on April 16, 2009 at 6:32 AM